PDA

View Full Version : Studs And Duds

Joemailman
10-12-2014, 03:46 PM
Studs

Rodgers - 264 yards and 3 TD's despite being under pressure all day.

Adams - His best game yet. Several key receptions, especially the last one.

Jordy - 9 receptions, 111 yards, TD. He makes it look routine.

Lang - This was a loss without his fumble recovery.

Duds

Offensive line - Rodgers under constant pressure, and lots of bad runs

Slocum - Long KO return, blocked punt and penalty to set up shorter field goal. C'mon man!!

Brad Jones - Only good play was when the ball hit him in the head.

gbgary
10-12-2014, 03:52 PM
everyone... for overcoming the heat!

pbmax
10-12-2014, 03:53 PM
dueling threads. Which one of you is the decoy?

Ha Ha Clinton Dix gets my vote for stud, next to Rodgers.

Harlan Huckleby
10-12-2014, 03:53 PM
maybe he is hurt, but Clay Matthews is a big nothin. Peppers looked active.

Joemailman
10-12-2014, 04:00 PM
maybe he is hurt, but Clay Matthews is a big nothin. Peppers looked active.

I knew I was forgetting somebody. Matthews was bad except for one batted pass.

Joemailman
10-12-2014, 04:08 PM
Duds

Me for not seeing Harlan had already started a thread. :oops:

red
10-12-2014, 04:09 PM
dueling threads. Which one of you is the decoy?

Ha Ha Clinton Dix gets my vote for stud, next to Rodgers.

I agree haha was a stud

He seems to be getting better every game

digitaldean
10-12-2014, 04:16 PM
Studs
Rodgers - Out-Marinoed the Phins and persevered even though he got at least 3 late hits after releasing the ball. Pulled this game out of the fire with some gutsy, heads up play. :pack:
Adams - besides the fake spike play, had a productive game
Mason Crosby - FG and saved a TD on KO return
Lang - though the O-line didn't handle the speed rushers that well, Lang's hustle saved the game on Rodgers' fumble.
Starks - had a better day rushing that Lacy.
Nelson - great veteran play from him today.
D - played well in 1st half, was missing in action for most of 2nd half, but made the stop when they needed it to set up the final drive

Duds
Special teams - long KO returns by MIA, Lattimore for letting his blocker go on blocked punt.
Officiating - Rodgers was hammered at least 3 times and just a ton of holding calls missed against Miami.
Brad Jones - kind of sad when your best play of the game is having a ball bounce off your head.
McStubby's run play calling - PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE NO MORE LACY RUNS AROUND THE ENDS!!

Joemailman
10-12-2014, 04:22 PM
Red for another winning gameday thread. :flag::worship::five::cow::tup::bump::wow::wave::p ack::glug::clap:

gbgary
10-12-2014, 04:28 PM
Jordy, Adams, Rodgers get extra props for me. Everyone had good/bad moments but no one was horrible. Some very tough conditions were dealt with today. I don't understand the Matthews criticism.

Harlan Huckleby
10-12-2014, 04:31 PM
Starks - had a better day rushing that Lacy.

Both backs were getting hit in the backfield a lot, hard to really say much about either. I'm glad MM had balance today.

I think Starks is better than Lacy.

Hyde had three good punt returns, if memory serves. Give him a stud.

Rutnstrut
10-12-2014, 04:31 PM
Duds

Me for not seeing Harlan had already started a thread. :oops:

Studs- you and Harlan for not ruining Studs and Duds with some dumb ass name.

Joemailman
10-12-2014, 04:32 PM
Jordy, Adams, Rodgers get extra props for me. Everyone had good/bad moments but no one was horrible. Some very tough conditions were dealt with today. I don't understand the Matthews criticism.

Matthews had 0 tackles. I know there were at least a couple times when Dolphins took advantage of Matthews crashing inside and being out of position.

Harlan Huckleby
10-12-2014, 04:32 PM
Studs- you and Harlan for not ruining Studs and Duds with some dumb ass name.

This is getting too nicey nice, I'm uncomfortable.

Fuck you.

Rutnstrut
10-12-2014, 04:33 PM

Wrong, Brad Jones was worse than horrible.

Harlan Huckleby
10-12-2014, 04:33 PM
Red for another winning gameday thread. :flag::worship::five::cow::tup::bump::wow::wave::p ack::glug::clap:

Fuck you, and double fuck you to red

Harlan Huckleby
10-12-2014, 04:35 PM
Matthews had 0 tackles. I know there were at least a couple times when Dolphins took advantage of Matthews crashing inside and being out of position.

not more than 9 or 10 times

Tyrion Lannister
10-12-2014, 04:38 PM

On Adams' fake-spike catch, it looked like he was trying to score instead of quickly getting out of bounds. ALMOST a rookie mistake. All's well that ends well, so who cares?

Joemailman
10-12-2014, 04:43 PM
On Adams' fake-spike catch, it looked like he was trying to score instead of quickly getting out of bounds. ALMOST a rookie mistake. All's well that ends well, so who cares?

He was trying to score, but he stayed close enough to the sideline that he could get out of bounds. It looks like the DB tried to pull him inside but couldn't do it.

http://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/2347826/spikerod.0.gif

Tyrion Lannister
10-12-2014, 04:56 PM
He was trying to score, but he stayed close enough to the sideline that he could get out of bounds. It looks like the DB tried to pull him inside but couldn't do it.

Just saying, it coulda been a disaster. I'm glad it worked out. :)

denverYooper
10-12-2014, 05:04 PM

Agreed. I thought he played it pretty smart, getting to the sideline, then making yards.

pbmax
10-12-2014, 05:10 PM

He was about a one half spin move turn away from being free and heading for the end zone, but the point is well taken. Spinning there could have been very bad. Similar to Cobb getting the ball on the left sideline but having to fall down to secure it. No chance to get OOB.

denverYooper
10-12-2014, 05:12 PM
Matthews is pretty banged up. He has no speed and pretty much no pivot right now. I think they're just putting him in there as a decoy most of the time.

pbmax
10-12-2014, 05:14 PM
Agreed. I thought he played it pretty smart, getting to the sideline, then making yards.

Fair point.

Harlan Huckleby
10-12-2014, 07:10 PM

http://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/2347826/spikerod.0.gif

I would say the DB could have EASILY kept Adams in bounds with a little aggression. Adams froze the guy with a little shake 'n' bake and made it to sidelines. I give a dud to DB, a stud to Adams.

Harlan Huckleby
10-12-2014, 07:13 PM
Matthews is pretty banged up. He has no speed and pretty much no pivot right now. I think they're just putting him in there as a decoy most of the time.

Ya, this is right. I cruelly give Matthews dud because it is bottom line.

pbmax
10-12-2014, 07:53 PM
Rodney Harrison on NBC was brutal on the DB letting Adams set him up (or trying to bait him to go inside). Said if DB runs to sideline, WR would have to break in.

3irty1
10-13-2014, 11:47 AM
Studs:

Rodgers put together a signature win. His QB keeper, ridiculously accurate sideline throws while being chased all over the field, the fake spike, and come from behind victory. He displayed every time of good an NFL QB can be yesterday.

TJ Lang, saved the game.

James Starks once again put together a running game in a cave with a box of scraps. You can always count on him to find a way to move the ball when nothing else seems to work.

Davante Adams looks to be Ted's next homerun WR in the 2nd round. We are so incredibly spoiled.

Quarless with a big catch working quickly against a linebacker. I think he's the best we're going to get out of the position this season but with Rodgers he'll be enough.

Capers had the perfect game plan. He sold out against the run and took away the strength of their offense. Tannehill was forced to beat them. He had to take risks, some of them worked out but too many didn't.

HHCD had a standout game playing mostly in the box. He set a tone.

Hayward continues to get more involved each week and the defense benefits for it.

Guion and Pennel both had fine games in run defense. Pennel showed some nice pass rush as well, he had Pouncy on skates at one point in the 4th quarter.

Nick Perry, aka the governor of defense, is playing at a high level right now. He's a tree stump against the run and getting held on every play coming off the edge.

Joe Philbin for not reading pbmax's lesson about 4 minute offense last week.

Duds:

The offensive line had their worst game of the season. They couldn't open up much in the running game and allowed absurd pressure in the passing game.

Brad Jones doesn't seem interested in silencing his critics. He had the 2nd worst game of his career right after having the worst game of his career.

The Refs had some interesting non calls although I admit they did call it consistently for both teams.

pbmax
10-13-2014, 11:56 AM
Capers: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-defense-comes-to-life-in-nick-of-time-b99369608z1-278972451.html

They didn't come up with an answer for the Dolphins adjustments in the second half until the game clock and lead meant the Dolphins wanted to burn clock. And then the Oakie suddenly was the hot new defense.

"In the second half they tweaked all the little scheme stuff, all the blocking schemes," linebacker Brad Jones said. "Honestly, I don't know how they did it. Quickly, at halftime.

It's possible coordinator Dom Capers had not played his base defense even one snap when Miami took over at its 20. The Packers had two timeouts.

PRETTY SURE HE WAS IN THE 4-3 LOOK EARLY IN THE GAME, BUT IT COULD HAVE BEEN NICKEL PERSONNEL. I THINK PEPPERS HAD HIS HAND IN THE DIRT.

This time, Capers called for the 3-4 "Okie" defense as line coach Mike Trgovac waved out Josh Boyd at left end, Mike Daniels at right end and Letroy Guion at nose tackle.

Philbin traded coaching philosophies with Capers for three years in the Packers' coaching wing. He knew Capers had no choice but to sell out against the run, and Burnett was the eighth run defender at the line.

"Dom was playing coverage zero, there were 11 guys down," said Philbin. "I told Bill (Lazor, offensive coordinator) that we were going to do whatever we have to do to get a first down. I told them to be aggressive."

Capers switched to a dime on third and 9 and blitzed. Micah Hyde penetrated into the backfield, knocking Miller off course and into Burnett for a 1-yard gain.

MadScientist
10-13-2014, 01:26 PM
Studs:
Short and timing passing game. Ground out some good drives when AR wasn't being killed.

Duds:
Second half adjustments. Miami nailed them, the Packers failed them

Campen. Seriously why is the fuck-up still coaching the Packers OL.

Cheesehead Craig
10-13-2014, 03:08 PM
One of the things I noticed on the TD play to Quarless, Rodgers doesn't have his chinstrap on. I thought that was a penalty?

Pugger
10-13-2014, 03:16 PM
One of the things I noticed on the TD play to Quarless, Rodgers doesn't have his chinstrap on. I thought that was a penalty?

I didn't notice it until you pointed it out. Thank god the officials didn't see it either. I hope someone says something to Aaron so he doesn't get called for that in the future.

Bossman641
10-13-2014, 03:49 PM
Studs
Rodgers
Nelson
Adams
Hayward
Perry
1st Half D

Duds
OL
Brad Jones
CM3
The TE's (think they had 2 targets all day yesterday). Are they not getting open? Have to believe Rodgers trusts Q to go to him for the game winner.

smuggler
10-13-2014, 09:39 PM
Davante knew he was strong enough to get out of bounds, no matter what. Worth it to skirt the boundary.

Have to believe Rodgers trusts Q to go to him for the game winner.

Quarless had the best matchup (LB Wheeler) and the quick throw meant a second chance if it fell incomplete.

pbmax
10-13-2014, 09:52 PM
Quarless had the best matchup (LB Wheeler) and the quick throw meant a second chance if it fell incomplete.

That was the best part of the throw. Miss or Q bats it down, one more chance with 40 seconds to make the call.

channtheman
10-13-2014, 11:14 PM
Dud: MM for subbing Lacy or someone into the game after Cobb's in bounds catch with the clock running. You don't have time to sub someone in and out of the game in that situation. I honestly couldn't believe we would do that.

pbmax
10-14-2014, 07:58 AM
Bob's contribution: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/aaron-rodgers-receivers-come-through-in-end-b99370045z1-279092081.html#packers

Studs: Rodgers, Guion (some very nice mentions), Starks (gets two plus marks in passing game), Jones (best extra blitzed), Perry (better 12 snaps than Matthews), House

Duds: Bulaga (dinged for 5 pressures), Jones (miss of Miller in flat and helmet pass D), Hawk (pass coverage), Sitton (no movement in run game), Bach (3.5 pressures)

pbmax
10-14-2014, 08:08 AM
Defense: stud or dud?

Ultimately, it’s a team sport. Green Bay has allowed 130 points in the first six games — but just 70 in the last four. Green Bay yielded 127 in the first six games of 2013, 135 in 2012, 114 in 2011, 112 in 2010 and 96 in 2009.

http://gnb.scout.com/story/1463451-coaches-sack-meaning-of-matthews-stats?s=61

denverYooper
10-14-2014, 08:36 AM
Bob's contribution: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/aaron-rodgers-receivers-come-through-in-end-b99370045z1-279092081.html#packers

Studs: Rodgers, Guion (some very nice mentions), Starks (gets two plus marks in passing game), Jones (best extra blitzed), Perry (better 12 snaps than Matthews), House

Duds: Bulaga (dinged for 5 pressures), Jones (miss of Miller in flat and helmet pass D), Hawk (pass coverage), Sitton (no movement in run game), Bach (3.5 pressures)

Bob was all over Jordy, too; described Nelson as "elegant" and "magnificent".

Pugger
10-14-2014, 08:46 AM

I've noticed lately that teams are using Clay's aggressiveness against him and he is running himself out of plays. He better figure it out quick otherwise Cam Newton is gonna run wild on Sunday.

denverYooper
10-14-2014, 08:58 AM
I've noticed lately that teams are using Clay's aggressiveness against him and he is running himself out of plays. He better figure it out quick otherwise Cam Newton is gonna run wild on Sunday.

He was doing that a lot early on and looking really bad doing it. Now he's a bit more cautious but he's been forced to be so by his injury. His closing speed is gone and he can't change direction on a dime.

If he heals and gets his quicks back by the end of the season, maybe the injury will have helped him re-form some of that intuition.

Pugger
10-14-2014, 09:02 AM
He was doing that a lot early on and looking really bad doing it. Now he's a bit more cautious but he's been forced to be so by his injury. His closing speed is gone and he can't change direction on a dime.

If he heals and gets his quicks back by the end of the season, maybe the injury will have helped him re-form some of that intuition.

I forgot about his injury - groin, right?

Joemailman
10-14-2014, 06:51 PM
Dud: MM for subbing Lacy or someone into the game after Cobb's in bounds catch with the clock running. You don't have time to sub someone in and out of the game in that situation. I honestly couldn't believe we would do that.

Starks was gassed and was asking to come out. It actually worked out okay. Lacy got there just in time.

mission
10-14-2014, 07:25 PM
Looks to me on that fake spike that Adams knew exactly what he was doing and set Finnegan up on that. He stuttered for a second, almost looking like a rookie trying to get more yards by cutting inside and gave him two more little moves and got outside. He's done that sort of shake a few different times and it's really sweet to watch.

You're seeing a lot more of his instincts / natural talent now that he's getting more comfortable. Rodgers being there telling him that he can do it and he's the man and all that goes a long way too. I think he's legitimately legit. :D

pbmax
10-14-2014, 07:28 PM
He should get a game ball just for getting OOB. There are 4 year vets who forget.

mission
10-14-2014, 07:28 PM
Starks was gassed and was asking to come out. It actually worked out okay. Lacy got there just in time.

True. Even if not, the position coaches are handling most of the substitutions AFAIK.

Freak Out
10-14-2014, 07:50 PM
Love these.

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-wymm/article-1/What-You-Mightve-Missed-On-the-goal-line-stand--final-drive/1f4b3055-a38d-4f04-9146-565a1872d607?campaign=social_20141014_33662487

Joemailman
10-14-2014, 08:00 PM
Guion might not be in stud category yet, but he's playing a lot better as the season wears on. He didn't practice until the week before the last preseason game, so he may have had to play himself into playing shape those first few weeks.

Joemailman
10-14-2014, 08:56 PM
Aaron Rodgers has thrown 179 consecutive passes without an interception. The Packer record is 294 by Bart Starr in 1964-65.

KYPack
10-14-2014, 09:24 PM
Love these.

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-wymm/article-1/What-You-Mightve-Missed-On-the-goal-line-stand--final-drive/1f4b3055-a38d-4f04-9146-565a1872d607?campaign=social_20141014_33662487

Spofford does a good job in those "things ya missed".

Wist needs to look at the goal line series. On the critical goal line stand, that stupid 'ol fool Capers has 'em in that awful 2-4 thingy and they stuff the Fins. It doesn't matter what the front is, it's 6 across the line. If everybody plays their run fits and defends a gap, you can stop the opponent.

pbmax
10-14-2014, 10:06 PM
Spofford does a good job in those "things ya missed".

Wist needs to look at the goal line series. On the critical goal line stand, that stupid 'ol fool Capers has 'em in that awful 2-4 thingy and they stuff the Fins. It doesn't matter what the front is, it's 6 across the line. If everybody plays their run fits and defends a gap, you can stop the opponent.

Hawk took one on the chin on second down. But his teammate covered it up.

channtheman
10-14-2014, 10:21 PM

Fair enough. And you're right, luckily Lacy got there in time.