PDA

View Full Version : Champ Bailey & Mr. Hyde

Tyrion Lannister
10-12-2014, 11:38 PM
Should the Packers give Champ Bailey a call? He's past his prime, but all his years in the NFL have made him wise. Bailey is the only free agent corner I can name off the top of my head.

It wouldn't be ideal to go against the likes of Brees, Brady, Cutler, Stafford and Folk with House, Heyward, Bush, Goodson and Hyde.

Speaking of Hyde, I fail to comprehend the greatness in him that everyone so loved. Defensively, when everyone is upright, all his does is take away snaps from better players like Ha-Ha and Heyward. Average at best. Not a playmaker. Missing too many tackles nowadays. Special teams is where he belongs.

Williams and Shields have been playing good football. They will be missed immensely if they go on an injury sabbatical.

denverYooper
10-13-2014, 08:31 AM
Champ lost his wheels 2 years ago. That's a killer at CB. He was a great pro, but he was having a hard time keeping up even in his last year in Denver.

Joemailman
10-13-2014, 08:38 AM
Bailey is burnt toast. Hyde hasn't made the progress they were hoping for in his 2nd year, but he's decent at nickel. He'll probably be needed there for a while.

Carolina_Packer
10-13-2014, 09:06 AM
Lousy timing with Jumal Rolle recently getting signed off of their practice squad.

pbmax
10-13-2014, 09:47 AM
Not making the Saints poor D might have been the death knell.

HarveyWallbangers
10-13-2014, 06:00 PM
I would be nice to have Rolle on the roster. Right now, he's a better option IMHO than Bush or Goodson.

Tyrion Lannister
10-13-2014, 06:21 PM
Bailey is burnt toast. Hyde hasn't made the progress they were hoping for in his 2nd year, but he's decent at nickel. He'll probably be needed there for a while.

Hyde is a solid ST player. Defensively, he is like Hawk of the secondary: Knows the D but rarely makes any plays, below average in coverage and not an elite tackler.

If Hyde plays more, I think he's gonna get exposed.

Tyrion Lannister
10-13-2014, 06:23 PM
Not making the Saints poor D might have been the death knell.

I believe Bailey was injured for most or all of New Orleans training camp. Would be an upgrade over Bush, Goodson and even Hyde.

KYPack
10-13-2014, 08:06 PM
I believe Bailey was injured for most or all of New Orleans training camp. Would be an upgrade over Bush, Goodson and even Hyde.

Not a shutdown safety, eh Tyrion?

pbmax
10-13-2014, 09:54 PM

Injured and two or three times the price. You sure you aren't arguing to cut him again?

QBME
10-14-2014, 07:24 AM
Not a shutdown safety, eh Tyrion?

You got that vibe also, huh?

KYPack
10-14-2014, 09:39 AM
You got that vibe also, huh?

Oh yeah.

I spotted him right away. but so far he's been pooping on the paper, so maybe he's housebroken.

Striker
10-14-2014, 06:06 PM
Oh yeah.

I spotted him right away. but so far he's been pooping on the paper, so maybe he's housebroken.

They're only obedient for so long.

George Cumby
10-15-2014, 02:22 AM
Oh yeah.

Hope springs eternal.

Maxie the Taxi
10-16-2014, 07:22 AM
Maybe Hyde doesn't make a lot of big plays on defense, but he's always around the ball and ball carrier. He's a good tackler for my money. Plus, he's smart.

Without Hyde on special teams the Packers might have lost to the Dolphins. His punt returns were big, especially the one in the last few minutes. In the second quarter he made a touchdown saving tackle on Landry's kickoff return.

denverYooper
10-16-2014, 09:10 AM
Maybe Hyde doesn't make a lot of big plays on defense, but he's always around the ball and ball carrier. He's a good tackler for my money. Plus, he's smart.

Without Hyde on special teams the Packers might have lost to the Dolphins. His punt returns were big, especially the one in the last few minutes. In the second quarter he made a touchdown saving tackle on Landry's kickoff return.

Thumbs up Ludwig. Hyde isn't elite at any one thing but he is just a solid all-around ballplayer.

Fritz
10-16-2014, 12:51 PM
And Champ Bailey is a broken-down corner whom people clamor for just because he's got a name people remember.

It'd make no sense to get rid of Hyde for Bailey.

Tyrion Lannister
10-16-2014, 10:15 PM
Thumbs up Ludwig. Hyde isn't elite at any one thing but he is just a solid all-around ballplayer.

With all due respect, Hyde is not a solid defensive player. Special teams, sure, but not defense.

He doesn't make any "impact" plays and his tackling - supposedly his strength - has been awful. The 3rd and 9 play vs Maimi, Hyde blitzed through a gap unblock and missed the tackle on Miller 2-4 yards behind the LOS. If it was 3rd and 1, the Packers would be sitting at 3-3 right now. The Bears game, the last play of the 1st half, Hyde gave up a completion to the Bennett; luckily Clinton-Dix made the stop as time ran out.

His teammates have been bailing him out. If Hyde were a full-time player on defense, he would get exposed, a la Bush once upon a time.

King Friday
10-16-2014, 11:15 PM
Hyde may be mediocre...but so is Bailey at this point in his career, and clearly isn't the answer to anything.

KYPack
10-17-2014, 07:58 AM
So Hyde isn't very good "in the clutch", eh Tyrion?

Fritz
10-17-2014, 08:11 AM
Hyde may be mediocre...but so is Bailey at this point in his career, and clearly isn't the answer to anything.

What he said.