PDA

View Full Version : Anatomy of a 4th Quarter Comeback

denverYooper
10-14-2014, 09:22 AM
This is somewhat fascinating. Ultimately, it's one of those drives that goes on the legacy tape for Aaron. But, as 4th quarter comebacks often are, this was a mix of chance and heads up play by some teammates to glue this one together.

- Dolphins score on 3 straight possessions to go up 24 - 17. I didn't see Clay or Peppers on the field for the 3rd drive.
- Packers drive deep into Dolphins territory with 4 minutes left and settle for a FG
- Dolphins get the ball back and get 2 first downs, causing GB to burn timeouts. Packers stop them on the 3rd set of downs,
- Micah Hyde has a bit of a daring running bobble of a catch and takes the ball upfield 17 yards, giving the ball back to Green Bay's offense at 2:04.
- Starks runs for 12 yards on what looks like a run/pass option, taking GB to the 2 minute warning
- Rodgers is hassled on 1st and second down, throwing a checkdown to Starks for 1 and having a ball clang off of Q's chest on 2nd.
- Rodgers gets sacked on 3rd and 9, fumbles, the ball is recovered by Lang, and then Miami takes a Timeout.
- Rodgers and Nelson have a brilliant connection for 18 yards.
- Starks drops a pass
- Nelson drops a tough catch that he usually makes -- sliding to his knees with the ball coming into his gut.
- Rodgers finds Starks in a hole for 10 yards
- Rodgers throws to Cobb, who doesn't get OOB and the clock is rolling
- Rodgers yells everyone up to the line to clock the ball and keeps looking at Adams who, when he sees Rodgers doesn't clock the ball, takes 2 steps off of the line. Rodgers hits him and he heads for the sideline. When Finnegan doesn't just force him out, he keeps going until a second DB spins him down oob at the 4.
- With 2 plays left, Rodgers finds the quick mismatch with Q on the LB and puts the ball away.
- ST and D each have one more chance to screw up but they hold.

denverYooper
10-14-2014, 09:26 AM
McCarthy kept using the term "grit" and "gritty". That was the kind of win that this team needed, IMO. The Dolphins were bullying the OL all day and Rodgers was under duress. It was hot and the Dolphins managed to take control of the game going toward the end. It didn't look good for the Packers, and it seems like they've lost these kinds of games more times than not. We'll see, but this one could be big in terms of the mentality of this team.

Teamcheez1
10-14-2014, 09:40 AM
When is the last time the Packers won the game with almost no time left on the last drive of the game? I've seen us lose a few times recently in the same manner.

denverYooper
10-14-2014, 10:27 AM
When is the last time the Packers won the game with almost no time left on the last drive of the game? I've seen us lose a few times recently in the same manner.

Bears game to win the division last year :).

But yea, before Rodgers went down there weren't a whole lot under M3/AR. Flynn put together a few last year.

PB had posted a link a while back showing adjustments for "lost" 4QCs. Sunday was an example of how many other little things besides QB play have to go right to make those happen.

pbmax
10-14-2014, 11:16 AM
McCarthy kept using the term "grit" and "gritty". That was the kind of win that this team needed, IMO. The Dolphins were bullying the OL all day and Rodgers was under duress. It was hot and the Dolphins managed to take control of the game going toward the end. It didn't look good for the Packers, and it seems like they've lost these kinds of games more times than not. We'll see, but this one could be big in terms of the mentality of this team.

To me the feature that was most remarkable was the manufactured offense they found in the last two drives. Mostly, but not completely Rodgers.

Usually, M3 has a plan, might tweak it to staunch a wound or injury at the half, and that is it. They keep banging away with the big guns they planned to bring and keep working it until the end. They get a lot of leads that way. This game, M3 was true to his word, more than usual, to keep plugging away at the run to slow down the rush and help the O line. It worked for one drive early. When they moved away from it late, the Dolphins had no answer unless their pass rush beat the QB's release.

I don't like Dan Reeves game plans that you play conservatively until the end and you open up to no huddle and let the QB take over. That seems the football equivalent of never using your closer until the 9th inning. Why invite playing from behind?

But I like this game because they went with the hotter hand in Starks at RB and despite one bad target to him, he delivered with both some runs and a pass catch. He caught his first down ball 4 yards shy and had three defenders around him. Unlike every other Packer except Driver and Lacy, I actually thought he would make it. Having two backs who Rodgers trusts to catch the ball will make these situations much easier to handle when he HAS to throw to either RB. Makes the lack of a TE easier to handle. And having Harris to back up both is luxury depth.

Maxie the Taxi
10-16-2014, 10:02 AM
- Packers drive deep into Dolphins territory with 4 minutes left and settle for a FG

While watching the game I pitched a fit about settling for a field goal here.

It was 4th and 6 on the Miami 12 with 4:13 left. GB 17 MIA 24.

A field goal still leaves you needing to score a TD, albeit to win rather than tie (if the defense holds).

However, the defense hadn't held on the previous Miami drives. I expected Miami to at least get a field goal, leaving the Packers needing a field goal to tie or a TD to win anyway.

Yeah, 4th and 6 is a gamble but Rodgers had to convert a 4th and 10 on the final drive, plus a 1st and goal at the Miami 4 with 6 seconds left.

I'm glad it worked out the way it did, of course, but I still think 4th and 6 with 4 minutes left on the Miami 12 might have been the better bet.

Joemailman
10-16-2014, 10:14 AM
I agree with the field goal. I think McCarthy was going for the win in regulation. He didn't want to go into overtime for 2 reasons. He had lost his starting cornerbacks, and it was hot and humid. So he needs 2 scores. When it got to 4th and 6, he took the sure thing, the field goal, and saved time on the clock by kicking the field goal right away.