PDA

View Full Version : Surprises so far this year

pittstang5
10-15-2014, 02:11 PM
The Packers are playing decently. There's still room for a lot of improvement, but there are two things that really stick out to me and I'm surprised by it.

1. Clay Matthews has 1 sack in 6 games. One, Uno....ONE SACK! What is up with that? He should have at least 6 by now. I know he usually gets them in waves, but only one sack so far this year is crazy. Is his groin issue still bothering him? Is he getting close and pressuring and QBs are just evading him. What's the deal?

2. Dujaun Harris hardly plays. Last year in Preseason when Dujaun Harris went down, I thought MM lost his dog. He praised and stated that he had such high hopes for Harris and had made plays just for him. Was that scrapped because of Lacy? Why? Harris is shifty and should be used more, especially for that damn stretch play MM loves to run two to three times a game. Plus, I'd love to see Harris in the screen game. Maybe the whole no huddle offense is the reason, but I think Harris needs to see the field more.

What are some other surprises?

Bossman641
10-15-2014, 02:57 PM
House has been a pleasant surprise. He always showed flashes before but is consistent now.
HHCD is better quicker than I expected.
Lattimore has played pretty well.

On the flip side Brad Jones seems determined to make every game his new worst game ever.

Patler
10-15-2014, 04:22 PM
Surprises for me this year:

Negative Surprises
1. Lacy - I hate to say this, but he is starting to remind me of John Brockington after his first 3 years. JB started out ripping and snorting as a runner, got the ball, made a decision, and trampled people in his path. After his third season, there was hesitation in his game. He looked for openings rather than making them without hesitation if a hole wasn't there. He still ran hard and punished would be tacklers when he could, but it wasn't the same. Lacy brings back those memories for me.

2. Both OTs - Either Bulaga is rusty, or the hip and knee injuries have taken a toll. His feet look slower than I remember. Bakhtiari hasn't shown the second season jump I hoped for. Of the two, Bakhtiari is the greater disappointment for me, because I almost expected that Bulaga might be a different player than he had been, and I really hoped for a noticeable jump from Bakhtiari. Instead, he seems to be only slightly more stout than he was last year. I hoped for more.

3. Matthews - not only is he not making as many impact plays, he seems to be having more of a negative impact than in the past. Maybe OCs are simply learning how to exploit the weaknesses in his game.

4. No role on offense for DuJuan Harris. I, too, expected MM to dredge up what he planned for him a year ago. Maybe he is saving it for later in the season. He has sometimes brought out new wrinkles for the second half of a season.

5. Not really a surprise, but disappointing none the less - Sherrod's performance; and, based solely on his preseason, Richard Rodgers making no impact as a receiver yet.

Positive Surprises
1. Dix, Adams and Linsley - so far so good. Each has been at least as much as I hoped, probably more. Pleasant surprises after the disappointments that were Sherrod, Perry, Jones and others as rookies.

2. Guion - two weeks ago I might have put him in the negative surprise category, because he was worse than I expected. The last two weeks he has been better than I really expected, with a number of positive impact plays. I expected him to be there with little good or bad to say about him.

3. Pennel and Robinson - not that either has done a lot; but each has done enough to have their names mentioned in positive commentary by broadcasters.

4. Not surprising, but pleasing none the less: Neal seeming to continue what he started last year, Perry making a positive impact in a much-reduced role, Burnett playing well, Datone Jones finding a role.

Guiness
10-15-2014, 04:30 PM

Agree on most views, particularly Bakhtiari. I think his physical limitations are showing, his ceiling is low.

Richard Rodgers may not be showing up in the passing game, but he's brought something else unexpected - he's a very good blocker in space. I've seen him make some good blocks on the second level, or even getting to into the secondary and helping WRs get more YAC.

Perry is definitely a positive surprise. He's made a lot of his limited role, made more important by Mathews not playing up to his former level.

Patler
10-15-2014, 04:33 PM
Forgot one, but that's OK because I think he deserves his own post:

Tramon Williams - I had resigned myself to the thought that the injury had changed TW permanently, and that he really needed to be phased out as soon as possible. He came on the last part of last season, but anyone can have a small sample of standout games, especially a vet who has been that good before. It has been pleasantly surprising to me to see that he has been been able to play at the level we saw at the end of last season. Not quite the Tramon of four years ago, but a better player than I thought he was now.

Patler
10-15-2014, 04:41 PM
Agree on most views, particularly Bakhtiari. I think his physical limitations are showing, his ceiling is low.

Richard Rodgers may not be showing up in the passing game, but he's brought something else unexpected - he's a very good blocker in space. I've seen him make some good blocks on the second level, or even getting to into the secondary and helping WRs get more YAC.

Perry is definitely a positive surprise. He's made a lot of his limited role, made more important by Mathews not playing up to his former level.

You are absolutely right about R. Rodgers. I intended to put in opposing comments, positive and negative. I intended, but forgot to write:

"Based solely on his preseason, Richard Rodgers making a positive impact as a blocker already. In preseason, he was said to be clueless as a blocker."

channtheman
10-15-2014, 04:45 PM

Negative Surprises
1. Lacy - I hate to say this, but he is starting to remind me of John Brockington after his first 3 years. JB started out ripping and snorting as a runner, got the ball, made a decision, and trampled people in his path. After his third season, there was hesitation in his game. He looked for openings rather than making them without hesitation if a hole wasn't there. He still ran hard and punished would be tacklers when he could, but it wasn't the same. Lacy brings back those memories for me.

My dad brings up at least one John Brockington reference per game this season. I finally asked him who that was this past Sunday. Interesting that others are thinking of Lacy in the same way.

Guiness
10-15-2014, 04:45 PM
You are absolutely right about R. Rodgers. I intended to put in opposing comments, positive and negative. I intended, but forgot to write:

"Based solely on his preseason, Richard Rodgers making a positive impact as a blocker already. In preseason, he was said to be clueless as a blocker."

I would like to go back and see how he does inline - he hasn't done anything there I have noticed. It's more downfield, especially helping out the slot receivers.

Patler
10-15-2014, 04:59 PM
I would like to go back and see how he does inline - he hasn't done anything there I have noticed. It's more downfield, especially helping out the slot receivers.

I can't say I have really paid a lot of attention to him at all, but it just seems that every game he does enough to earn a positive comment from the announcers about a block. Maybe it is only a play or two, and he is atrocious the rest of the time; or maybe it is only downfield and not in line; I can't say. I expected minimal contributions from him this year, but I expected none as a blockers and a few here and there as a receiver. So far, it has been just the opposite.

HarveyWallbangers
10-15-2014, 05:41 PM
I'd argue that Rodgers blocking has been a disappointment--especially for someone his size. He was terrible blocking in space in the preseason, but I can't say that I've watched him that closely in recent games. He's not playing nearly as much as he was early in the season--which tells me the coaches are not exactly thrilled with his play.

mission
10-15-2014, 05:46 PM
I'd argue that Rodgers blocking has been a disappointment--especially for someone his size. He was terrible blocking in space in the preseason, but I can't say that I've watched him that closely in recent games. He's not playing nearly as much as he was early in the season--which tells me the coaches are not exactly thrilled with his play.

True. He only blocked three different players on Starks' first down catch on the final drive. Would have preferred he blocked four guys personally.

Joemailman
10-15-2014, 06:40 PM
Rodgers has had some bad moments blocking. However, that's not unusual for a rookie TE. If his technique is unsound, he'll struggle, no matter how big he is. I expect he'll improve.

Bossman641
10-15-2014, 10:28 PM
I think Rodgers is a poor inline blocker, and he might not be great in the open field but he gives effort. It's fun to see him flying into the picture looking to blast a guy or 2

pbmax
10-15-2014, 11:40 PM
I think Rodgers is a poor inline blocker, and he might not be great in the open field but he gives effort. It's fun to see him flying into the picture looking to blast a guy or 2

If you watch that Spofford piece "You May Have Missed" or something like that, he did get a great chip block on Wake prior to Starks catch for a first down on the last drive. I think there is a future for his blocking.

HarveyWallbangers
10-15-2014, 11:56 PM
Unfortunately, I've noticed more blocks like the one against Detroit that went for a safety. Several of the beat writers have criticized his blocking and pointed towards it being a big reason he is not getting as much playing time. Quarless has turned into an adequate blocker. I think this past week was one of the first times Rodgers got a positive blocking grade from Pro Football Focus. I don't necessarily see these as always entirely accurate, but it would jive with what I saw from Rodgers in the preseason. I was pretty unimpressed with his blocking all preseason. His size should allow him to improve though.

Week 6

Andrew Quarless (+1.0 overall, +0.9 run block) played 54 snaps compared to just 33 for Richard Rodgers (-1.2 overall, +0.2 pass block). Quarless caught the game-winner from five yards out, but other than that play, he was a non-factor in the passing game. Quarless was a plus-player in terms of run blocking though, and was able to hold some ground against a pretty athletic defensive front. Rodgers was primarily used as a pass blocker in two-tight end sets.

Week 5

Richard Rodgers (-1.2 overall, -1.2 run block) didn't record a single target and continued to struggle in run blocking. Quarless played 31 snaps to Rodgers' 18, and looked much more competent in sealing the edge on run plays. Until Rodgers shores up his deficiencies as a run blocker, he won't have a chance to showcase his athleticism as a pass catcher.

Week 4

Richard Rodgers (22 snaps) caught two passes for 52 yards, and Davante Adams added two receptions for 18 yards. Rodgers (-1.3 run block) struggled to set the edge in run blocking, but his counterpart Andrew Quarless (-0.2 run block) didn't exactly set the world on fire despite seeing twice as many snaps

Week 3

The only individual that would receive a passing grade from me on Sunday is Andrew Quarless (+2.3 overall grade, +1.4 pass grade), who ran crisp routes in the passing game, but was sub-par in run blocking and pass protection. At the other tight end spot, Richard Rodgers (-1.8 overall) was manhandled in run blocking. On the safety, Rodgers wasn't even able to slow down Jonathan Jones - if he gets any sort of block at all, Lacy probably gets around the corner and picks up four or five yards.

First Four Weeks Recap

If I told you that no tight end in NFL history has gotten off to a worse start than Richard Rodgers in his first four games, would you be surprised? Yes, mainly because it's not true. In all seriousness, though, Rodgers II hasn't gotten much going. He's a miserable -4.9 on the season (including -5.2 in run-blocking and -0.9 in receiving), but perhaps a light went on early in the Chicago game.

Bretsky
10-16-2014, 06:31 AM
MY BIG SURPRISE

ADAMS looks like a better receiver than COBB already

That would be a good for Adams and a bad note for Cobb, who rarely seems to get any separation on standard routes anymore. Adams looks like a future star.

hoosier
10-16-2014, 07:43 AM
Burnett has been a pleasant surprise, especially around the LOS. Hopefully he can add some turnovers to his sure tackling.

Pugger
10-16-2014, 08:43 AM
Burnett has been a pleasant surprise, especially around the LOS. Hopefully he can add some turnovers to his sure tackling.

I think the play of Ha Ha has allowed Burnett to play better. I suspect he was compensating for the garbage back there with him last year.

Lacy isn't as good as he was last year but I've seen hints of his old self the past couple of weeks. There was one play in the 3rd quarter Sunday where he yet again got hit in the backfield and somehow dragged tacklers for 5 yards and got the first down. He isn't as fast as Starks but if he can start to find the hole quicker he will be affective again.

Harlan Huckleby
10-16-2014, 10:52 AM
1. Lacy - I hate to say this, but he is starting to remind me of John Brockington after his first 3 years. JB started out ripping and snorting as a runner, got the ball, made a decision, and trampled people in his path. After his third season, there was hesitation in his game.

I see more similarity with Johnny Blood McNally during his comeback season. I don't think Lacy is hesitating, he's reading blocks properly, but he is already physically worn down. He's lost some acceleration. It was pretty obvious that Johnny Blood's stint with the Duluth Eskimos took that special burst out of his legs, very frustrating to watch.

Harlan Huckleby
10-16-2014, 10:57 AM
I'd argue that Rodgers blocking has been a disappointment--especially for someone his size.

I never expect much from rookie WRs and TEs.

I'm shocked that Bostick hasn't seen field, mildly surprised that Quarless has emerged as top TE.

Maxie the Taxi
10-16-2014, 12:15 PM
I see more similarity with Johnny Blood McNally during his comeback season. I don't think Lacy is hesitating, he's reading blocks properly, but he is already physically worn down. He's lost some acceleration. It was pretty obvious that Johnny Blood's stint with the Duluth Eskimos took that special burst out of his legs, very frustrating to watch.

I think you're confused, Blue Dog. I think Johnny's legs were still strong coming off the 1927 season with the Eskimos. I know because my son and I had season tickets. However, the next year Blood suffered through a brutal season with the Pottsville Morons because he had absolutely no blocking to speak of, much like our own Eddie Lacy of today.

Freak Out
10-16-2014, 12:25 PM
My dad brings up at least one John Brockington reference per game this season. I finally asked him who that was this past Sunday. Interesting that others are thinking of Lacy in the same way.

He has the highest pad level I have ever seen in regards to a RB on more than a few plays. Dude ends up standing straight up and gets thrown back at least twice a game.

Agree with a lot that has been said both positive and negative.

Joemailman
10-16-2014, 12:32 PM
I think the switch to Sam Gash as RB coach is not working for Lacy, at least so far. Gash's preference for RB's to maintain body control, "shoulders over toes" he called it, is not working for Lacy. Maybe it will just take time, but right now he's not the same guy he was last year.

HarveyWallbangers
10-16-2014, 12:34 PM
I never expect much from rookie WRs and TEs.

I'm shocked that Bostick hasn't seen field, mildly surprised that Quarless has emerged as top TE.

Yes, I'm disappointed that Bostick hasn't taken over the TE spot.

Tony Oday
10-16-2014, 12:39 PM
Lacy is a one cut and hit the hole back thats it and since he is getting hurt so often he has lost that and dances.

Fritz
10-16-2014, 12:46 PM
Yes, I'm disappointed that Bostick hasn't taken over the TE spot.

Okay. I am surprised that Bostick hasn't seen the field as a TE much at all on a team that needs a fast, athletic TE.

I am surprised that Mike Daniels has been so very up-and-down. He seems to have one good game, then two poor games. I didn't think he'd be an All Pro, but I thought he'd be better, more consistently, than he has been.

I am surprised, though perhaps I should not be, that Derrick Sherrod has been so Marshall Newhouseish.

I am surprised and disappointed in Eddie Lacey.

I am disappointed though not surprised that MM hasn't tried to feature Harris a little bit in the offense.

I am surprised by the collective suckyness of the offensive line, particularly the play of the tackles. When Bahktieri was a rookie, I think we all thought he was doing a great job for a rookie mid-round pick. And I think we thought that that meant he'd get better, but I think what we're seeing is that he was perhaps playing near to his potential from the get-go. And I thought Bulaga would be better. He's really just a JAG RT.

I have been pleasantly surprised at Linsley's play, and have been happy that Clinton-Dix has progressed so smoothly.

I am not surprised but am disappointed that Micah Hyde does not seem to be as good as MM said he was.

I am not completely surprised but am pleased that Morgan Burnett is emerging. A couple interceptions, continued good play against the run, and he's the guy we'd hoped for.

I am not too surprised that Richard Rodgers couldn't continue his pre-season dazzling, but I'm disappointed that he didn't, not even a little.

I am surprised that Guion has played so well the last couple of games.

hoosier
10-16-2014, 01:09 PM
Surprised that Mason Crosby hasn't followed a decent year with a disaster.

Surprised that Micah Hyde has turned out to be a more dangerous punt returner than Cobb.

Surprised that fans didn't panic after the 1-2 start. :-)

Bossman641
10-16-2014, 02:20 PM
Bostick is a huge disappointment for me. This offense is calling out for a TE and he can't even find the field due to practice habits? Did he punch a coach

Pugger
10-16-2014, 02:22 PM
Surprised that Mason Crosby hasn't followed a decent year with a disaster.

Surprised that Micah Hyde has turned out to be a more dangerous punt returner than Cobb.

Surprised that fans didn't panic after the 1-2 start. :-)

I thought we did? ;-)

Joemailman
10-16-2014, 02:32 PM
Bostick is a huge disappointment for me. This offense is calling out for a TE and he can't even find the field due to practice habits? Did he punch a coach

During training camp, there were some issues with his route running, especially with the way he finished routes. Based on some comments made a couple weeks ago by Fontenot, I'm guessing that's still an issue. Pretty disappointing for a 3rd year guy.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/brandon-bostick-still-trying-to-master-new-position-b99361742z1-277695981.html

The issue is that Bostick, a former college wide receiver, hasn't mastered all the tight end assignments and Fontenot refuses to put him on the field until he does. If Bostick shows in a game he's not on the same page as quarterback Aaron Rodgers, he might as well head for the bench anyway because he's not going to see the ball after that.

"I need to feel more comfortable with the things we're doing in practice," Fontenot said. "I need to see that he's making split-second decisions, the right decisions. We're still getting there."

Fontenot said if a player is slow reacting to what Rodgers is signaling to him or expecting him to do in certain situations, he's not going to be trusted.

hoosier
10-16-2014, 03:43 PM
I thought we did? ;-)

Yup. That was sarcasm. Double sarcasm even.

Bossman641
10-16-2014, 04:25 PM
During training camp, there were some issues with his route running, especially with the way he finished routes. Based on some comments made a couple weeks ago by Fontenot, I'm guessing that's still an issue. Pretty disappointing for a 3rd year guy.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/brandon-bostick-still-trying-to-master-new-position-b99361742z1-277695981.html

It's not like we switched offensive systems this year. His understanding of the offense should be at an all time high. Fontenot was the TE coach last year too right? Did his practice habits regress? How is it possible to have trust last year but this year?

Joemailman
10-16-2014, 04:32 PM
It's not like we switched offensive systems this year. His understanding of the offense should be at an all time high. Fontenot was the TE coach last year too right? Did his practice habits regress? How is it possible to have trust last year but this year?

With the Packers using so much no huddle, that puts added importance on the TE knowing all the TE assignments. If they only feel he can handle some of the assignments, it's hard to get him in there in a no huddle situation.

texaspackerbacker
10-16-2014, 06:13 PM
Ditto the Lacy stuff. Every time he has a good gain, I say to myself, Melvin Gordon woulda taken it to the house. Every time he runs into the back of his blockers and goes nowhere, I say to myself, Melvin Gordon woulda move a hole to the left or right and gotten a good gain. I'm NOT surprised Bostick hasn't done more; He reminded me of Finley - the bad side. I'm am only slightly surprised Quarless has come through - I pretty much expected that. Guion, who I bad-mouthed severely as a Raji type, has surprisingly been borderline decent; Daniels, surprisingly has been less than I expected. Linsley is not really a surprise, as not much is asked of Packer Centers. Bakhtiari - another player I never liked - at least not like a lot of people bragged him up - has NOT surprisingly sucked. Bulaga has been a pleasant surprise coming back as strong as he has and making such a difference; He seemed to me to already be fading BEFORE his injury, but he's like the old Bulaga now. Sherrod? I'd like to say it's a surprise, but I was afraid he would bomb out; Maybe there's still hope for him - yeah right hahahaha. Dix - the guy I said they should draft #1, no surprise he is doing well. Brad Jones? No surprise at all he has played like shit. I'm surprised Flynn is still considered ahead of Tolzien, but I'm extremely happy neither has had to do anything significant. My biggest surprise? Janis is not a LOT more of a factor than he has been.

pbmax
10-16-2014, 07:41 PM
Lacy is a one cut and hit the hole back thats it and since he is getting hurt so often he has lost that and dances.

That is Starks. Lacy is more a straight ahead guy who wants to see a hole clean and then barrel into it. He doesn't mind contact but he wants a lane in front of him.

Rutnstrut
10-16-2014, 11:52 PM
I am surprised every week that Brad Jones somehow remains in the NFL. I am also surprised Clay hasn't missed much time yet, although as crappy as he looks maybe he should. Maybe he knew the testing was coming, and has been off the juice for awhile.

Maxie the Taxi
10-17-2014, 08:12 AM
Ditto the Lacy stuff. Every time he has a good gain, I say to myself, Melvin Gordon woulda taken it to the house. Every time he runs into the back of his blockers and goes nowhere, I say to myself, Melvin Gordon woulda move a hole to the left or right and gotten a good gain. I'm NOT surprised Bostick hasn't done more; He reminded me of Finley - the bad side. I'm am only slightly surprised Quarless has come through - I pretty much expected that. Guion, who I bad-mouthed severely as a Raji type, has surprisingly been borderline decent; Daniels, surprisingly has been less than I expected. Linsley is not really a surprise, as not much is asked of Packer Centers. Bakhtiari - another player I never liked - at least not like a lot of people bragged him up - has NOT surprisingly sucked. Bulaga has been a pleasant surprise coming back as strong as he has and making such a difference; He seemed to me to already be fading BEFORE his injury, but he's like the old Bulaga now. Sherrod? I'd like to say it's a surprise, but I was afraid he would bomb out; Maybe there's still hope for him - yeah right hahahaha. Dix - the guy I said they should draft #1, no surprise he is doing well. Brad Jones? No surprise at all he has played like shit. I'm surprised Flynn is still considered ahead of Tolzien, but I'm extremely happy neither has had to do anything significant. My biggest surprise? Janis is not a LOT more of a factor than he has been.

I agree pretty much across the board. 2015 will be deep in running backs. Packers would have to trade up to get Gordon but there will be other quality backs available.

On the other hand, the Packers OL isn't exactly opening huge holes. If we had the Cowboys OL, would we need a different RB?

I also wish Janis would be targeted a bunch more.

Fritz
10-17-2014, 08:15 AM
Maxie, you've been around. You know that the guy who is the raw rookie but looks like an All-Pro in training camp rarely makes a splash his first couple seasons. Remember Clark Hinkle?

Maxie the Taxi
10-17-2014, 08:24 AM
Maxie, you've been around. You know that the guy who is the raw rookie but looks like an All-Pro in training camp rarely makes a splash his first couple seasons. Remember Clark Hinkle?

Clarke was good right out of the box. Curly didn't believe in keeping talent on the bench. LOL

Fritz
10-17-2014, 08:33 AM
I'm talking about kicking and defense. Curly only let him kick one PAT his rookie year in 1932 - he didn't kick a single FG his rookie year!

And surely you remember that Curly didn't let him play defense until 1940, and didn't let him return punts and kickoffs until 1941.

Now that's some serious grooming!