PDA

View Full Version : More signs of a messed up fine system

Guiness
10-15-2014, 06:45 PM
Kaepernick gets fined 11K for a racial slur. He appeals, and wins. The appeal officer says he doesn't think Kaepernick uttered the slur. The result? The fine is cut in half cnf:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/15/colin-kaepernick-i-dont-know-what-im-being-fined-for/

He, rightfully so, says he does not know what he is being fined for. My thoughts is that they're punishing him for wearing what were obviously Beats headphones at his last presser, but they can't outright do that.

MadScientist
10-15-2014, 08:23 PM
Yea, it makes no sense to fine him, something is screwed up in the league office, but we knew that already.

As for fining for wearing beats? I can't see why the NFL would try to hide the fact. They have no trouble fining people for what they wear.

Carolina_Packer
10-15-2014, 09:21 PM
It's one thing to have rules about wearing certain equipment for safety or because the league has a shoe deal or a jersey deal with Nike. It's another thing for the league to be so Machiavellian as to make sure players use certain headphones when in sight of cameras, which is often. I'm sure they have a deal with Dockers, are they going to fine them for wearing some one else's pants? It's petty and heavy-handed. Also, if I'm a player who has a deal with Beats that was made prior to the NFL's deal with Bose, what then?

I realize it's their "work place", but you could carry the NFL's reasoning to ridiculousness by making them eat, drink, wear, use the official whatever of the NFL ad infinitum.

Guiness
10-15-2014, 09:41 PM
I'd guess it's not when they're in sight of cameras, it would likely be when they are at an NFL function, such as player interviews or post game press conferences.

sharpe1027
10-16-2014, 04:46 AM
The league said the fine is for general profanity or abusive language. Kind of silly, but Kapernick knows what he is being fined for.

Guiness
10-16-2014, 08:26 AM
The league said the fine is for general profanity or abusive language. Kind of silly, but Kapernick knows what he is being fined for.

They just don't want to wipe out the fine and admit they were 100% wrong. If the league started fining players for f-bombs, the players would be a lot lighter in the pocketbook!