PDA

View Full Version : M3 is here to stay

denverYooper
11-03-2014, 03:27 PM
Due to a new contract...

Jeff Duncan ‏@JeffDuncan_ 2m2 minutes ago
Congrats to Mike. RT @JosinaAnderson: The Green Bay Packers have signed head coach Mike McCarthy to a new multi-year contract, per team.

denverYooper
11-03-2014, 03:33 PM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 18m18 minutes ago
McCarthy ranks third in franchise history with 93 victories, five short of No. 2 Vince Lombardi.

Striker
11-03-2014, 03:34 PM
Green Bay --- The Green Bay Packers signed coach Mike McCarthy to a multi-year contract extension Monday. Terms of the deal were not disclosed, though the pact keeps McCarthy and general manager Ted Thompson paired together for the foreseeable future.

Thompson inked an extension with the team in July.

"We are very happy to extend our relationship with Mike," Thompson said in a statement. "Over the past nine years, he's provided great stability and consistency to the Packers organization and our community as an excellent coach and leader. He's a good man and we look forward to the future with Mike as our head coach."

McCarthy, hired in 2006, is currently in his ninth season as the Packers' head coach. During his tenure, Green Bay has reached the postseason six times, won the NFC North four times and won the Super Bowl in 2010. His 93 wins rank third all-time in team history behind Curly Lambeau (212) and Vince Lombardi (98).

The Packers, off to a 5-3 start this year, are one of only two teams (New England) to reach the playoffs in each of the last five seasons.

McCarthy turns 51 years old next week, as Thompson is 61 years old.

Before taking over as the head coach, McCarthy was the offensive coordinator for the New Orleans Saints (2000- '04) and San Francisco 49ers (2005), the quarterbacks coach for Green Bay in 1999 and on the Kansas City Chiefs' staff 1993- '98.

McCarthy is scheduled to speak here at Lambeau Field at 4:15 p.m.

Joemailman
11-03-2014, 03:40 PM
Who will be next? Capers or Slocum?

red
11-03-2014, 03:54 PM
Shit

Wasnt m2 in the first year of his new contract when he was canned?

A guy can hope

Joemailman
11-03-2014, 04:12 PM
Shit

A guy can hope

Actually, I think it was the last year of his old contract. He had signed a 2 year extension.

MadScientist
11-03-2014, 04:19 PM
Shit

A guy can hope

Actually, I think it was the last year of his old contract. He had signed a 2 year extension.

2005 was the last year of Sherman's old contract, but TT signed him to an extension so he wouldn't be a lame duck coach. Instead he was a lame-ass coach who shit the bed, took the money and ran.

pbmax
11-03-2014, 04:28 PM
Well, on the plus side for T2 and M3 detectors, this is Ted's de facto 3rd HC so he can be canned with clear conscience any day now. :lol:

Tyrion Lannister
11-03-2014, 05:48 PM
2005 was the last year of Sherman's old contract, but TT signed him to an extension so he wouldn't be a lame duck coach. Instead he was a lame-ass coach who shit the bed, took the money and ran.

That's a little harsh. That season, Sherman lost his top receiver, top runningback, top 2 guards, top saftey, among others. Favre was throwing to the likes of Antonio Chatman and handing the ball off to Tony Fisher with Klemm and Whitticker protecting him. I think Earl Little was the saftey after the Arturo Freeman experiment failed.

Sherman didn't run off with any money. It was Thompson who extended Sherman and it was Thompson who fired Sherman.

George Cumby
11-03-2014, 09:51 PM
Yes, Imp. We know.

Carolina_Packer
11-03-2014, 10:50 PM
That's a little harsh. That season, Sherman lost his top receiver, top runningback, top 2 guards, top saftey, among others. Favre was throwing to the likes of Antonio Chatman and handing the ball off to Tony Fisher with Klemm and Whitticker protecting him. I think Earl Little was the saftey after the Arturo Freeman experiment failed.

Sherman didn't run off with any money. It was Thompson who extended Sherman and it was Thompson who fired Sherman.

Sherman the GM is what eventually got Sherman the coach fired. B.J. Sander in the 3rd round? He was so disappointing in his first year, they brought in Bryan Barker, and if I recall correctly, they kept both on the 53 man roster. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1865956

Then there was R-Kal Truluck, also in 2004, traded from K.C. for a 5th and a 6th round draft choice and he played one year. Ouch! It's almost like Mike Sherman the G.M. didn't know what he was doing.

Patler
11-03-2014, 11:09 PM
Sherman the GM is what eventually got Sherman the coach fired. B.J. Sander in the 3rd round? He was so disappointing in his first year, they brought in Bryan Barker, and if I recall correctly, they kept both on the 53 man roster. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1865956

Then there was R-Kal Truluck, also in 2004, traded from K.C. for a 5th and a 6th round draft choice and he played one year. Ouch! It's almost like Mike Sherman the G.M. didn't know what he was doing.

Sherman the GM was largely responsible for the situation at guard and safety, too. He signed one starting guard to a contract expiring and the other to a contract with a prohibitive roster bonus in the same year. Then, he compounded the problem by grooming no suitable replacement for either guard in the year or two before. Same situation at safety, with a cost-prohibitive bonus due..

Fritz
11-04-2014, 06:08 AM
Had Sherman the coach had a good GM, I wonder if his style of coaching and offense would've held up.

I dunno. Maybe not. 4th and 26.

pbmax
11-04-2014, 07:52 AM
Had Sherman the coach had a good GM, I wonder if his style of coaching and offense would've held up.

I dunno. Maybe not. 4th and 26.

The defense was fine. Execution warranted an execution. Donatell was made the scapegoat for no good reason.

However, it wasn't exactly franchise changing. Ed has not risen above that position anywhere else. I think most of his time as been as DB coach.

Bob Slowik, however, was franchise changing. He nearly got Jim Bates an HC gig.

hoosier
11-04-2014, 07:52 AM
If Sherman the GM was to blame for the shortcomings of Sherman the coach, Bob Harlan, whose overall tenure I liked a lot, was to blame for Sherman the GM. Just goes to show that even smart people make dumb mistakes.

George Cumby
11-04-2014, 08:25 AM
You guys are masochists. The Imp lobs that one out there and you all hit it like so many largemouth after a mouse on a warm summers night.

KYPack
11-04-2014, 08:35 AM
Yer right, George.

But, I must.

Tank, those boards beneath your feet are part of the scaffold.

Fritz
11-04-2014, 08:43 AM
If Sherman the GM was to blame for the shortcomings of Sherman the coach, Bob Harlan, whose overall tenure I liked a lot, was to blame for Sherman the GM. Just goes to show that even smart people make dumb mistakes.

Good point here. I remember cringing when I saw the news on television that Mike Sherman got both gigs.

I did like his offenses, though. I liked that power running game he had. I only wish Ahman Green hadn't tripped on, what, Rivera's leg on that fourth and goal?

Carolina_Packer
11-04-2014, 01:59 PM

This is a really good point. To add to it, just imagine if Ron Wolf had realized prior to Holmgren's departure that he wanted to retire two years later. Could Harlan have talked Holmgren into waiting for the GM role to open up? I would have been more interested in giving the dual-role to Holmgren, the coach who took Green Bay to 2 Super Bowls vs. Sherman. They must have really loved Sherman.

That said, I don't really like combining HC/GM, especially these days.

Zool
11-04-2014, 02:18 PM
PSL was just that. There's no discussion point that lands on the PSL as anything but a tire fire as a GM. Yet Tank the fucking moron likes to say it was Thompson who screwed up things for a few years. Sherman was the worst GM in the last 30 years for the Packers.
Trading up to get a punter?
Keeping 2 punters on the roster so you don't look like an idiot for trading up for a punter in the 3rd?
Joe Johnson?
Terry Glenn?
PSL is the poster child for what not to do as a GM, and Tank is the poster child for how not to sound smart as a football fan.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_7OC0YbG2fek/R0rPdDaAWNI/AAAAAAAAD00/TsGIUkEw_kg/s400/mikeshermansleeping.jpg

pbmax
11-04-2014, 02:58 PM
I'll go ahead and admit it. I liked the Terry Glenn experiment. But it went less well than the Andre Rison conjecture.

At least Andre was able to speak to the team before the Super Bowl! :D

Tyrion Lannister
11-04-2014, 03:36 PM
I'll go ahead and admit it. I liked the Terry Glenn experiment. But it went less well than the Andre Rison conjecture.

The Glenn trade was awesome.

Glenn was the best receiver available and Pack had no proven commodity at the receiver position at that time. Freeman was washed up and cut. The great Billy Schroeder was a free agent and not retained. Corey Bradford and his great speed never materialized; he was allowed to walk via expansion draft. Nobody knew who the fuck some quick receiver named Driver was. Hotshot WR, J-Walk, wasn't yet drafted.

Glenn battled through a bunch of injuries his lone season in GB but was pretty much "solid." I was disappointed when he got traded to Dallas.

George Cumby
11-04-2014, 07:17 PM

Glenn was the best receiver available and Pack had no proven commodity at the receiver position at that time. Freeman was washed up and cut. The great Billy Schroeder was a free agent and not retained. Corey Bradford and his great speed never materialized; he was allowed to walk via expansion draft. Nobody knew who the fuck some quick receiver named Driver was. Hotshot WR, J-Walk, wasn't yet drafted.

Glenn battled through a bunch of injuries his lone season in GB but was pretty much "solid." I was disappointed when he got traded to Dallas.

Yeah, the trade to Big D was a head scratcher. I thought he performed well enough to keep around.

pbmax
11-04-2014, 10:05 PM

Well, "injuries", anyway. I have never seen a player shaken up with an apparent concussion more often than Glenn. He had to set a record for taking himself out of the game and then going back in that season.

Joemailman
11-04-2014, 10:34 PM
Well, "injuries", anyway. I have never seen a player shaken up with an apparent concussion more often than Glenn. He had to set a record for taking himself out of the game and then going back in that season.

Glenn was diagnosed with "post-traumatic migraines" that year. My guess is if that happened now, he wouldn't be playing. http://gnb.scout.com/2/67666.html

Patler
11-05-2014, 04:05 AM
... Sherman was the worst GM in the last 30 years for the Packers.
Trading up to get a punter?
Keeping 2 punters on the roster so you don't look like an idiot for trading up for a punter in the 3rd?
Joe Johnson?
Terry Glenn?
PSL is the poster child for what not to do as a GM, and Tank is the poster child for how not to sound smart as a football fan.

Sherman made a habit of using two picks to trade up in a round. In addition to trading up for a punter, Sherman also:

traded a #3 & #4 to move up in the 3rd round for Kenny Peterson
traded a #3 & #4 to move up in the 3rd round for Donnell Washington
traded a #5 & #6 to move up in the 5th round for Hunter Hillenmeyer
traded a #5 & #7 to move up in the 5th round for James Lee
traded a #6 & #7 to move up in the 6th round for Cory Williams

Zool
11-05-2014, 08:09 AM
Sherman made a habit of using two picks to trade up in a round. In addition to trading up for a punter, Sherman also:

traded a #3 & #4 to move up in the 3rd round for Kenny Peterson
traded a #3 & #4 to move up in the 3rd round for Donnell Washington
traded a #5 & #6 to move up in the 5th round for Hunter Hillenmeyer
traded a #5 & #7 to move up in the 5th round for James Lee
traded a #6 & #7 to move up in the 6th round for Cory Williams

That's not exactly a murderers row of fantastic pics.

Patler
11-05-2014, 10:36 AM
That's not exactly a murderers row of fantastic pics.

...and he used 10 draft pics to get the five guys.

KYPack
11-05-2014, 11:33 AM
OK, so Tank is with us again.

So now we gotta read about how great Sherman was, TT & Mac are bums, and Rodgers isn't that good.

I don't feel like it.

Hey, we don't have to ban him, he's already banned.

He snuck in here under another in a long line of phony names.

Enforce the ban on this dwarf so we don't have to read his crazy bullshit.

Again.

esoxx
11-05-2014, 12:42 PM
Perhaps this thread should be retitled "Tank is here to stay."

Cheesehead Craig
11-05-2014, 03:15 PM
I've really got very little issues with MM. He's created a hell of an offense and helped make Rodgers the QB he is today.

mraynrand
11-05-2014, 05:03 PM
OK, so Tank is with us again.

So now we gotta read about how great Sherman was, TT & Mac are bums, and Rodgers isn't that good.

I don't feel like it.

Hey, we don't have to ban him, he's already banned.

He snuck in here under another in a long line of phony names.

Enforce the ban on this dwarf so we don't have to read his crazy bullshit.

Again.

No one is forcing you to have sex with a goat. Really, you don't have to do it.

Harlan Huckleby
11-05-2014, 05:17 PM
http://www.louiseoneillauthor.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/crying-baby.jpg

KYPack
11-05-2014, 05:39 PM
Perhaps this thread should be retitled "Tank is here to stay."

Nah.

Throw him out.

He's nuts, he doesn't care.

He's been thrown out under phony names many times, what's one more?

I see his stalwart supporters chime in, where's the Canadian Moose?

gbgary
11-05-2014, 06:49 PM
mike mehcarthy...he runs hot and cold in my mind. good coach, iffy play caller. but that's just me. will probably end up with a street named after him...oh...wait.

Fritz
11-06-2014, 04:00 PM
Ban Tank! Fire Capers!

BZnDallas
11-06-2014, 06:19 PM
I agree with gbgary... MM runs hot and cold with me as well... the sooner he fires capers, the hotter he will become... (that felt really weird to type :doh:)... Surely his dumb face will keep him off any sexy celebrity lists...

mraynrand
11-06-2014, 09:28 PM
Nah.

Throw him out.

He's nuts, he doesn't care.

He's been thrown out under phony names many times, what's one more?

I see his stalwart supporters chime in, where's the Canadian Moose?

you must love goats