Harlan Huckleby
11-03-2014, 05:46 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/281376511.html

Joemailman
11-03-2014, 05:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sJCYeG6be8

Tyrion Lannister
11-03-2014, 05:58 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Sherry becomes a player for another team, a la Breno Giacomini.

Fire Campen. ;-)

Tony Oday
11-03-2014, 06:02 PM
Wow...

Joemailman
11-03-2014, 06:05 PM
I'm actually surprised by this given the lack of depth on the OL. They must be pretty sure Lang will be okay.

Striker
11-03-2014, 06:25 PM
I'm actually surprised by this given the lack of depth on the OL. They must be pretty sure Lang will be okay.

Tretter can slide over to guard and also plays center. Might even do better at tackle than Sherrod in a pinch.

pbmax
11-03-2014, 07:25 PM
Tretter can slide over to guard and also plays center. Might even do better at tackle than Sherrod in a pinch.

Except he has spent zero time at tackle as a pro. He must have looked good there the last two weeks of practice.

I will miss Derek's first round measurables.

pbmax
11-03-2014, 07:27 PM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 9m9 minutes ago
Just talked to a scout about GB's 2011 draft. YEah, it's bad he said but that draft is proving to be bad in general. Sounds like homework.

They still have Cobb and House. So it is a tire fire, but its burning around a very nice car and truck.

Maxie the Taxi
11-03-2014, 07:48 PM
Except he has spent zero time at tackle as a pro. He must have looked good there the last two weeks of practice.

I will miss Derek's first round measurables.

I don't understand. Measurables?

pbmax
11-03-2014, 08:03 PM

Height, weight, hand size, speed, vertical leap, broad jump, shuttle run, etc. All the combine and Pro Day stuff.

Maxie the Taxi
11-03-2014, 08:07 PM
Height, weight, hand size, speed, vertical leap, broad jump, shuttle run, etc. All the combine and Pro Day stuff.

Do you think it's a case of measurables not translating to performance on the field? Or do you think the injury did him in?

pbmax
11-03-2014, 08:17 PM
Do you think it's a case of measurables not translating to performance on the field? Or do you think the injury did him in?

The injury hurt and it hurt just as we have seen Bulaga struggling on the road, when he cannot get a good enough kick-step (first step for tackle pass blocking) to get in front of the onrushing DE/OLB. It hurt Sherrod doubly because the one thing he seemed to be able to do early was latch on to large men and not let them go. But even he had to catch them first. And in his rookie year, prior to his injury, he seemed like he could do this. He had good feet and great size.

But he was nowhere near a drive blocker, lacked functional lower body strength and didn't deliver much of a punch. I don't remember it pre-injury, but this year he seemed to play top heavy and tall. A dreaded waist bender they say.

So his measurables meant he should have been able to do it, but he already had several areas to work on when the injury seemed to rob him of the one thing he could do well. So to answer your question; both problems did him in.

Patler
11-03-2014, 08:23 PM
They need to sign a tackle, even if an RT only type guy.
Their roster has 3 guards, 3 centers and two tackles. Gerhart is a wasted roster spot with Tretter and Linsley healthy.

Maxie the Taxi
11-03-2014, 08:30 PM
Their roster has 3 guards, 3 centers and two tackles. Gerhart is a wasted roster spot with Tretter and Linsley healthy.

Hope they can sign a vet from somewhere. Kind of late in the year to fool around with another undrafted FA.

smuggler
11-03-2014, 08:48 PM
Alas poor Sherry we knew him, a man of infinite talent.

Guiness
11-03-2014, 08:54 PM
Hope they can sign a vet from somewhere. Kind of late in the year to fool around with another undrafted FA.

Use of the word 'era' is quite a stretch to be sure. Vet tackle? Well, McKinnie's floating around out there somewhere, isn't he? Ya, I don't see that happening.

smuggler
11-03-2014, 08:56 PM
Maybe we can pull ole Kenny Ruettgers out of the classroom in a pinch? It's only been 20 years...

Patler
11-03-2014, 09:03 PM
Chad Clifton should be healed up by now.

Bretsky
11-03-2014, 09:05 PM
Fluffy was, is and always has been terrible
It's about time they free'd Fluffy

Joemailman
11-03-2014, 09:09 PM

If one of the OT's gets hurt, Lang probably moves there. Not ideal, but he's played both positions in the past.

Patler
11-03-2014, 09:38 PM
If one of the OT's gets hurt, Lang probably moves there. Not ideal, but he's played both positions in the past.

He seemed more suited as a younger player. As I recall, when Bulaga was hurt in 2012 Lang struggled out there until they went with Barclay when Lang, too, was dinged up late in the season. That's the real problem. If they lose a couple......

pbmax
11-03-2014, 09:46 PM
He seemed more suited as a younger player. As I recall, when Bulaga was hurt in 2012 Lang struggled out there until they went with Barclay when Lang, too, was dinged up late in the season. That's the real problem. If they lose a couple......

Its a bit of odd timing both ways. Neither Lang (far removed from Tackle and currently injured) and Tretter (just coming off injury and maybe 2 weeks practice at Tackle since college) seem ready to jump in as backup.

Patler
11-03-2014, 10:37 PM
Its a bit of odd timing both ways. Neither Lang (far removed from Tackle and currently injured) and Tretter (just coming off injury and maybe 2 weeks practice at Tackle since college) seem ready to jump in as backup.

They have Vujnovich on PS. He had some shining moments in preseason, and some not so good moments. I could see them signing him and letting Gerhart go.

Harlan Huckleby
11-03-2014, 11:14 PM
From my armchair, Gerhardt is a really bad player who hardly rates a practice squad spot, given his Fred Flintstone body. I agree that Packers will probably promote a tackle from somewhere.

Harlan Huckleby
11-03-2014, 11:25 PM
It may be time to rate the Big Three. I go with:
1) Marshall "Marshmallow" Newhouse
2) Allen Barbre
3) Derek "Fluffy" Sherrod

Newhouse was able to occasionally get through entire games without breakdowns. He is starter (by injury) for Cincinnati.
Barbre could drive block, just couldn't handle speed rush. He's in 8th NFL season.
Sherrod - stumblebum, soft. God bless him if he makes it somewhere.

My rankings are based on selective memory.

Harlan Huckleby
11-03-2014, 11:38 PM

It was a good joke, especially by pbmax's standards.

It is quite surprising that Sherrod got released. But they have been giving him some spot duty the last several games, I thought he looked bad. Packers must have concluded thatt Sherry is unplayable, like a scratched CD, so throw away.

Fritz
11-04-2014, 06:18 AM
It was a good joke, especially by pbmax's standards.

It is quite surprising that Sherrod got released. But they have been giving him some spot duty the last several games, I thought he looked bad. Packers must have concluded thatt Sherry is unplayable, like a scratched CD, so throw away.

He must've really been hopeless, even in practice, for them to cut him when there's no real other backup tackle on the roster.

It's not like they had no other candidates to cut, Brandon Bostick.

pittstang5
11-04-2014, 06:38 AM
They have Vujnovich on PS. He had some shining moments in preseason, and some not so good moments. I could see them signing him and letting Gerhart go.

From what I remember, I saw more promise from Vujnovich in preseason than I did from Sherrod. Maybe my expectations were higher for Sherrod and lower for Vujnovich. I'm interested to see how Vujnovich looks next year in camp.

Losing Barclay really hurt the online depth.

George Cumby
11-04-2014, 08:26 AM
I vaguely remember criticisms of his heart and desire when he was drafted.

Bossman641
11-04-2014, 12:28 PM
Is having no backup tackles better than having a bad backup tackle? Let's hope we never have to find out.

pbmax
11-04-2014, 12:31 PM
Is having no backup tackles better than having a bad backup tackle? Let's hope we never have to find out.

I have always wanted to see the A-11 offense run in the pros.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/27/A-11.png

Harlan Huckleby
11-04-2014, 12:36 PM

Tretter played tackle in college, he is same size as Bachtiari. He has no game experience at center in pros or college, its not like he is set there.

From limited evidence, Tretter is much better than any of the three stooges - Sherrod, Taylor and Gerhardt

Bossman641
11-04-2014, 12:40 PM
Tretter played tackle in college, he is same size as Bachtiari. He has no game experience at center in pros or college, its not like he is set there.

From limited evidence, Tretter is much better than any of the three stooges - Sherrod, Taylor and Gerhardt

I have no doubt Tretter is better inside. it's outside that I'm concerned about. Seems like a lot to ask a guy to go through his first season and training camp prepping to be the starting center, and then shift him to tackle.

Harlan Huckleby
11-04-2014, 01:01 PM
I have no doubt Tretter is better inside. it's outside that I'm concerned about. Seems like a lot to ask a guy to go through his first season and training camp prepping to be the starting center, and then shift him to tackle.

Flanagan did it. He also was a tall center.

You don't expect Tretter to be a stud, but I bet he is as good or better than Barclay at tackle, at least with pass blocking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOI_SnESqhk

Harlan Huckleby
11-04-2014, 02:55 PM
The timing works out for Sherrod, this is the Vikings bye week and it will give him time to learn the playbook.

Tyrion Lannister
11-04-2014, 02:57 PM
I have always wanted to see the A-11 offense run in the pros.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/27/A-11.png

Didn't the Fins ran it in the Packers game this season? There was a flag on that play but I only saw the center and the two guards lining up "traditionally."

pbmax
11-04-2014, 02:58 PM
Didn't the Fins ran it in the Packers game this season? There was a flag on that play but I only saw 3 "OLmen" at the LOS.

Yep, some version of it.

Tyrion Lannister
11-04-2014, 03:06 PM
Yep, some version of it.

Is it legal? I think Chip Kelly initially ran it with the Eagles last season, then one of his guy became OC with Fins and he ran it against the Pack. If memory serves me right, the Fins were called for illegal formation. Got the Pack D going heywire, though.

MadScientist
11-04-2014, 03:43 PM
Is it legal? I think Chip Kelly initially ran it with the Eagles last season, then one of his guy became OC with Fins and he ran it against the Pack. If memory serves me right, the Fins were called for illegal formation. Got the Pack D going heywire, though.

Nothing illegal, unless you screw up. Think of it as a normal 1-back formation with 2 recievers on each side. Now increase the spacing between the guards and tackles and make the QB even with the back.

However, since it is not a commonly run formation it is easier for one of the tackles to be back a little too far or the wideout that is supposed to be on the line to be off thinking that the tackle is a TE, giving an illegal formation.

pbmax
11-04-2014, 09:54 PM

They didn't have enough players ON the line of scrimmage or a tackle wasn't covered up on one side or the other. It was a matter of distance from the LOS, not the formation arrangement itself that was illegal I believe.

Bretsky
11-04-2014, 10:14 PM
He must've really been hopeless, even in practice, for them to cut him when there's no real other backup tackle on the roster.

It's not like they had no other candidates to cut, Brandon Bostick.

Now if we'd just cut Just a Jag Jones life would be good

Fritz
11-05-2014, 06:49 AM
Now if we'd just cut Just a Jag Jones life would be good

I do wonder, if Bradford shows any improvement at all inside, if the Packers would be tempted to cut Jones, or if they feel his experience makes him a valuable backup and special teams guy.

Zool
11-05-2014, 08:11 AM
I do wonder, if Bradford shows any improvement at all inside, if the Packers would be tempted to cut Jones, or if they feel his experience makes him a valuable backup and special teams guy.

I'm not sure if it's coaches or where I've heard it, but people keep lauding his coverage ability. I have yet to see it. Maybe they are comparing it to Hawk's coverage ability?

gbgary
11-05-2014, 06:29 PM
saw that monday. not surprised. 1st round bust. not the only one under tt.

Joemailman
11-05-2014, 06:45 PM
I'm not sure if it's coaches or where I've heard it, but people keep lauding his coverage ability. I have yet to see it. Maybe they are comparing it to Hawk's coverage ability?

Or maybe we don't see it because QB's aren't throwing to the guy being covered by Jones? Just throwing that out there.

Zool
11-06-2014, 10:19 AM
Or maybe we don't see it because QB's aren't throwing to the guy being covered by Jones? Just throwing that out there.

Go back to last year. He trailed his guy in coverage quite a bit and gave up a lot of passing yards. Hawk on the other hand, is usually not near his guy in coverage. That's the difference I've seen.

Bretsky
11-06-2014, 09:55 PM
A BIT IRONIC

Two days after Fluffy is Cut I witness the Marshmellow Newhouse starting for the Bengals. He is not doing well at all

however

THe Marshellow is, was, and always has been better than Fluffy

mission
11-07-2014, 07:51 AM

You mean held by Jones and it's getting called every time? :)

Guiness
11-07-2014, 08:31 AM

If this is the case, sure would've been nice to have him on the field against NO, covering Graham who ended the night with half a dozen catches and a TD.

denverYooper
11-07-2014, 08:46 AM
Talk about thread drift...

But Guiness brings up a good observation: Jimmy Graham had just returned from injury for the last game and ended up being a difference maker. The Saints are a much better team with him out there.

It's no surprise that the Patriots are also playing much better with Gronk back from injury, too. Gronk and Graham are/were widely seen as the top 2 TEs in the game. Both have been injured for most of the first part of the year and both have recently returned to make their teams better.

3irty1
11-07-2014, 09:59 AM
Talk about thread drift...

But Guiness brings up a good observation: Jimmy Graham had just returned from injury for the last game and ended up being a difference maker. The Saints are a much better team with him out there.

It's no surprise that the Patriots are also playing much better with Gronk back from injury, too. Gronk and Graham are/were widely seen as the top 2 TEs in the game. Both have been injured for most of the first part of the year and both have recently returned to make their teams better.

In a world where Brady has Gronk, Brees has Graham, and Manning has Thomas, Rodgers to Quarless makes me want to cry.

Zool
11-07-2014, 10:15 AM
A BIT IRONIC

Two days after Fluffy is Cut I witness the Marshmellow Newhouse starting for the Bengals. He is not doing well at all

however

THe Marshellow is, was, and always has been better than Fluffy

The least smelly turd is still a turd.

Bretsky
11-08-2014, 10:28 AM
In a world where Brady has Gronk, Brees has Graham, and Manning has Thomas, Rodgers to Quarless makes me want to cry.

Great Point
Kind of why I threw out the Packers and Gonze pimp about five weeks ago
I see thread now created......great idea

Harlan Huckleby
11-08-2014, 11:53 AM
I'm warming up to Quarless. He gets open enough to provide an option. He's rumored to be able to block. Quarless is the AJ Hawk of the offense, and I'm not damning with faint praise. I'm thinking of 2012 and 2013 Hawk.

Patler
11-08-2014, 02:32 PM

Great Point
Kind of why I threw out the Packers and Gonze pimp about five weeks ago
I see thread now created......great idea

Well, he had Finley and never came close to using him in the same way that Gronkowski and Graham have been used.

Tyrion Lannister
11-08-2014, 04:33 PM
Well, he had Finley and never came close to using him in the same way that Gronkowski and Graham have been used.

J-Mike was used that way in the Arizona playoff game and he was rocking the league in '10 before that infamous Donald Fucking Lee fumble landed J-Mike on the IR.

Post-injury, J-Mike struggled with drops but he was still a force to be reckoned with. Nobody is afraid of the current TEs on the roster.

pbmax
11-08-2014, 05:42 PM
J-Mike was used that way in the Arizona playoff game and he was rocking the league in '10 before that infamous Donald Fucking Lee fumble landed J-Mike on the IR.

Post-injury, J-Mike struggled with drops but he was still a force to be reckoned with. Nobody is afraid of the current TEs on the roster.

So seven games in a six year career? I was in his camp but he never got his head back in the game after the injury. He was worried about his contract and longevity and it ended up costing him his health.

Patler
11-08-2014, 06:05 PM

Arizona playoff game? One game does not define "use" of a TE.

2010? "Rocking the league?" 4 games and 21 receptions? Again, doesn't really show how Rodgers would use him for an extended period of time.

Bretsky
11-08-2014, 10:48 PM
I'm warming up to Quarless. He gets open enough to provide an option. He's rumored to be able to block. Quarless is the AJ Hawk of the offense, and I'm not damning with faint praise. I'm thinking of 2012 and 2013 Hawk.

Solid Backup

Tyrion Lannister
11-09-2014, 12:15 AM
Arizona playoff game? One game does not define "use" of a TE.

2010? "Rocking the league?" 4 games and 21 receptions? Again, doesn't really show how Rodgers would use him for an extended period of time.

The Arizona game was a prelude to what was supposed to be J-Mike's breakout year. Prior to his injury in '10 season, J-Mike was the Packers' feature receiver, a la Gronk and Graham.

5 catches a game is pretty good for a tight end in an offense that also included Jennings, Nelson , Driver and Jones. Even when he was used as a decoy, opponents had to account for J-Mike. Too big for corners, too fast for linebackers/safeties.

You stated that Rodgers "had Finley and never came close to using him in the same way that Gronkowski and Graham have been used."

I simply gave you some examples. :)

Tyrion Lannister
11-09-2014, 12:22 AM
So seven games in a six year career? I was in his camp but he never got his head back in the game after the injury. He was worried about his contract and longevity and it ended up costing him his health.

J-Mike was coming into form again when the unfortunate neck injury happened. Yes, the Packers won a SB without J-Mike for the most part. But there's no denying that the offense was more potent with J-Mike in it.

The TEs on the current roster can't hold J-Mike's jockstrap. That's how GOOD J-Mike was.

pbmax
11-09-2014, 01:59 AM
J-Mike was coming into form again when the unfortunate neck injury happened. Yes, the Packers won a SB without J-Mike for the most part. But there's no denying that the offense was more potent with J-Mike in it.

The TEs on the current roster can't hold J-Mike's jockstrap. That's how GOOD J-Mike was.

He was better, but he was a shell of his former self.

He had gotten over his yips with catching the ball, but he was no longer a deep threat and he didn't like heading over the middle. He only liked to run crossing patterns. He ran a seam pattern against the Bengals (I think) last year and did the only triple combo dive, trip and fall for a catch I have ever seen (ball hit the turf). He was looking for places to go down safely at times. He could still power through people, but would only do it after he had secured the catch. He wanted a lot of space to operate in. Doesn't leave a lot of options.

But you are correct on one point, if not for his neck, he would still have a starting place on the roster.

Patler
11-09-2014, 05:20 AM
You stated that Rodgers "had Finley and never came close to using him in the same way that Gronkowski and Graham have been used."

I simply gave you some examples. :)

I know that, but my point is that one game here and four games there are not very definitive, especially when the four game breakout included one game with 9 of the 21 receptions.

As long as Rodgers has a three man combination of the likes of Jennings, Driver, Nelson, Cobb, Jones and Adams, with a capable fourth WR along for backup, he doesn't really need, nor would he use to their max a TE like Gronkowski or Graham. I think the amount of receptions that Boykin got last year are indicative of that. Rodgers likes the big plays too much to use the TE as anything more than an afterthought most of the time.

denverYooper
11-09-2014, 10:46 AM
Solid Backup

Mostly agree... he's a solid complimentary TE but not a #1.

Maxie the Taxi
11-18-2014, 07:47 PM
From ESPN Packer blog:

Also on Tuesday, former Packers’ first-round pick Derek Sherrod (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13972/derek-sherrod) worked out for the New England Patriots (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/ne/new-england-patriots), according to ESPN’s Field Yates. The Packers cut the offensive tackle on Nov. 3.

So two weeks before they play the Packers, Belicheat works out Sherrod? Count me skeptical. On the other hand, what can Belicheat learn from Sherry that he can't learn from film?

Cheesehead Craig
11-19-2014, 08:55 AM
From ESPN Packer blog:

So two weeks before they play the Packers, Belicheat works out Sherrod? Count me skeptical. On the other hand, what can Belicheat learn from Sherry that he can't learn from film?

How not to train OL. Ours get hurt so much it's worth it for other teams to bring in our former injured OL so that way they know what not to do with theirs so they can stay healthy.

Fritz
11-19-2014, 08:45 PM
Don't do it, Sherry! Bill only wants to use you, then throw you away like a cheap slut.

KYPack
11-19-2014, 09:35 PM
From ESPN Packer blog:

An olde pro trick, to be sure.

Sherrod is also gonna work out for TB, they just lost their starting LT.

vince
11-19-2014, 09:51 PM
I hope he catches on somewhere and becomes serviceable eventually. Prototypical measurables. I've not heard anything about his attitude. Maybe some scouting questions about his passion but reading McGinn's articles prove there are a ton of scouts who don't really know what the hell they're talking about half the time anyway.

Obviously a tough injury that's probably screwed his mind up. He ran out of time in Green Bay but I won't be surprised to see him pop up somewhere in a couple years like a few other Thompson OL projects also who ran out of time in GB have done.

Harlan Huckleby
11-20-2014, 09:10 AM
Obviously a tough injury that's probably screwed his mind up.

Not buying it. He looked bad before the injury.

It's true there were no preseason camps his rookie year. They wasted time trying him at guard. If he was an NFL capable player, he wouldn't have been so terrible at guard and tackle out of the gate.