PDA

View Full Version : Tony Gonzalez A Packer?

Maxie the Taxi
11-03-2014, 08:04 PM
I found this intriguing tidbit on the Walter Footbal website (http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2014TE.php) under Free Agent Tight Ends:

Tony Gonzalez, TE, Falcons. Age: 38. http://walterfootball.com/images/fball/star.gifhttp://walterfootball.com/images/fball/star.gifhttp://walterfootball.com/images/fball/star.gif
Tony Gonzalez, now 38, signed on with CBS to be one of their analysts, but there's a good chance he'll come out of retirement to play for a contender late in the year (Cris Carter did this with the Dolphins back in 2002). Despite his age, Gonzalez is still a threat over the middle and a strong end-zone target.

Anyone else here think TT should try to sign Gonzalez? Given the Packers' glaring weakness at TE, Gonzalez not only would fill it but be an invaluable influence on Rodgers and other youthful Packers TE's.

Joemailman
11-03-2014, 08:14 PM
If they were going to do it, they probably would have done it just prior to the bye week. It would be interesting, but I don't see it happening.

Maxie the Taxi
11-03-2014, 08:18 PM
If they were going to do it, they probably would have done it just prior to the bye week. It would be interesting, but I don't see it happening.

Never thought about that. You're probably right, although I could even see him finish this year and stay on next year as a player/coach.

Patler
11-03-2014, 08:31 PM
Interesting, especially in view of a comment in an article today that the Packers (coaches) seem about ready to give up on Bostick.

George Cumby
11-03-2014, 09:42 PM
I'm about ready to give up on the Packers position coaches.

Fritz
11-04-2014, 06:11 AM
I wonder sometimes if it's Bostick's work ethic or lack thereof, or if he's just plain dumb as a post.

Is Bostick a core ST guy? If so, I can't see trading that in for a part-time oldster who wouldn't be playing ST at all.

If he's not, well, then what the hell. Though I suppose they'd have done it already if they were going to.

pbmax
11-04-2014, 08:16 AM
I wonder sometimes if it's Bostick's work ethic or lack thereof, or if he's just plain dumb as a post.

Is Bostick a core ST guy? If so, I can't see trading that in for a part-time oldster who wouldn't be playing ST at all.

If he's not, well, then what the hell. Though I suppose they'd have done it already if they were going to.

It was a Silverstein article and it was a kind of throw away commentary line based on his being buried on the depth chart. They might have given up, but Tom doesn't have a report about it. Just drawing a conclusion from playing time.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-andrew-quarless-begins-to-fill-hole-left-by-jermichael-finley-b99382701z1-281251401.html

The least you could say of him is that they see a brighter future for Bostick than for Sherrod.

KYPack
11-04-2014, 08:25 AM
My big problem with Bostick is I've never seen his crimes. He flashed a little in pre-season, must've had a bad game in late pre or the early season and is now buried. They want Rodgers II to get any of the extra (or two TE) reps and Bostick never sees the field.

You know he's made grievous errors, but you don't know what they are.

Fritz
11-04-2014, 08:42 AM
My big problem with Bostick is I've never seen his crimes. He flashed a little in pre-season, must've had a bad game in late pre or the early season and is now buried. They want Rodgers II to get any of the extra (or two TE) reps and Bostick never sees the field.

Exactly.

Except when he did get some garbage time, he dropped one of two thrown his way. Not the way to force yourself into the lineup.

I wonder sometimes if for some reason Rodgers just doesn't like the guy.

Patler
11-04-2014, 08:54 AM
Fontenot has made several comments about Bostick since camp, each to the effect that he will play only when he does things right more regularly than he has. I get the impression that the issues are mostly in his recognitipn of adjustments to be made on the field, and being more precise in what he does.

Patler
11-04-2014, 09:01 AM
Like this:

"Physically he's done some really good things," Fontenot said. "It's hard to argue what you see on tape. The other part of that — it's hard to assess from an outside perspective what's going on with the mental part of the game. You'll know when I think he's ready to be contributing at a more substantial level."

"The benefit we have now is we don't have to throw Brandon in," Fontenot said. "We have two guys that are doing what we want the way we want it. Not perfectly, mind you, but they're making steps toward getting there, (so) that we don't have to allow mistakes in order to get the learning curve steepened."

denverYooper
11-04-2014, 09:31 AM
Fontenot has made several comments about Bostick since camp, each to the effect that he will play only when he does things right more regularly than he has. I get the impression that the issues are mostly in his recognitipn of adjustments to be made on the field, and being more precise in what he does.

Sounds like Finley, except Bostick hasn't had any of the flash plays Finley showed in his early, limited snaps.

Bossman641
11-04-2014, 12:15 PM
Gonzalez would be a huge addition to this team. I don't normally agree with signing older guys but our TE are junk.

pbmax
11-04-2014, 12:24 PM
In two years, when this thread gets bumped as commentary to the then current rumor that Troy Polamalu will unretire and help out the Packers at safety for 2016, I will be mad if I don't see this posted under my name.

This report of Gonzalez leaving the studio show to play is complete bunk.

Tyrion Lannister
11-04-2014, 04:12 PM
This report of Gonzalez leaving the studio show to play is complete bunk.

NFL History 101:

A few years ago, another CBS studio analyst wanted to come out of retirement late in the season to play for a contender. His name was Neon Deion, one of my childhood heroes.

Sanders wanted to play for Oakland, yes, Oakland. Problem was, the Redcoats still had Deion's rights and they had to first release him before he could join the Raiders - the Redcoats humbly complied. At that time, vested veterans of NFL wars still had to clear waivers. Oakland, led by McCarthy pupil, Rich Gannon, was sitting pretty with a nice record when they called Sanders. Division rival, San Diego (started season 6-2, still in contention at the time, but on the verge of an epic meltdown), foiled the plan by claiming Sanders.

Prime Time chose to remain in the booth rather than play for the hapless Chargers. A year later, he unretired to bang for Baltimore.

Moral of the story? People change their mind about retirement all the time. :)

Joemailman
11-04-2014, 04:33 PM

I know he ran a few routes wrong in training camp practices, but was playing in the preseason games until he got hurt in the 2nd game. There was no indication at the time though that he wouldn't be able to get on the field once the injury was healed. This one is a puzzlement.

pbmax
11-04-2014, 10:01 PM
NFL History 101:

A few years ago, another CBS studio analyst wanted to come out of retirement late in the season to play for a contender. His name was Neon Deion, one of my childhood heroes.

Sanders wanted to play for Oakland, yes, Oakland. Problem was, the Redcoats still had Deion's rights and they had to first release him before he could join the Raiders - the Redcoats humbly complied. At that time, vested veterans of NFL wars still had to clear waivers. Oakland, led by McCarthy pupil, Rich Gannon, was sitting pretty with a nice record when they called Sanders. Division rival, San Diego (started season 6-2, still in contention at the time, but on the verge of an epic meltdown), foiled the plan by claiming Sanders.

Prime Time chose to remain in the booth rather than play for the hapless Chargers. A year later, he unretired to bang for Baltimore.

Moral of the story? People change their mind about retirement all the time. :)

That makes Gonzalez a solid 50% bet that he comes back this year. I'll take those odds.

Because old vets talk about coming back ALL the time, but circumstances don't always agree with them.

http://cdn-jpg.si.com/sites/default/files/vault/covers/1983/1212_large.jpg