PDA

View Full Version : Casey Matthews Says Clay Doesn't Like Inside

pbmax
11-13-2014, 09:45 AM
Casey Matthews should shut his pie hole.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/13/casey-matthews-says-clay-doesnt-like-playing-inside/

“He did well, so you’ve got to assume he’ll play more of it,” Casey Matthews said Wednesday, via Les Bowen of the Philadelphia Daily News. “I don’t think he liked too much about it. He was happy to get that sack [of Jay Cutler], but that was when he was back to outside. . . . He likes getting after the passer, taking on the linemen . . . I told him to look at it this way: He’s the highest-paid inside linebacker in the league. He got a laugh out of that.”

VegasPackFan
11-13-2014, 11:20 AM
They interviewed Clay on the field just before kick-off about playing inside and I read into that short spot that he wasn't too excited about it. I think he said something to the effect of "well, we'll have to see......". Got to give him credit for a good game but I think a few of his best plays still came from him rushing from the outside. The sack and the reverse blow-up did not come from him playing the ILB spot. Correct me if I'n wrong.

He also seemed a little less than thrilled post-game when he got a game ball.

I thought all this before hearing the Casey quote.

Anyone else sense the same from the post & pre-game comments Clay made?

Freak Out
11-13-2014, 11:41 AM
I don't care how he feels about it.

Bossman641
11-13-2014, 12:02 PM
They interviewed Clay on the field just before kick-off about playing inside and I read into that short spot that he wasn't too excited about it. I think he said something to the effect of "well, we'll have to see......". Got to give him credit for a good game but I think a few of his best plays still came from him rushing from the outside. The sack and the reverse blow-up did not come from him playing the ILB spot. Correct me if I'n wrong.

He also seemed a little less than thrilled post-game when he got a game ball.

I thought all this before hearing the Casey quote.

I think CM3 lined up as an inside LB on the reverse and moved down near the RT right before the snap.

I understand he may not like it, but he looked rejuvenated to me. He was like a cobra out there. He might not have had the steps down, but when he made his mind up he was exploding towards the ball.

mission
11-13-2014, 01:36 PM
The only reason he wouldn't like it is because ILBs would get paid less on the re-up... let's be honest -- he was way more effective inside. Seemed to really make sense from what I could observe. If it doesn't make sense to Clay then it's gotta be money talking.

Cheesehead Craig
11-13-2014, 01:49 PM
The only reason he wouldn't like it is because ILBs would get paid less on the re-up... let's be honest -- he was way more effective inside. Seemed to really make sense from what I could observe. If it doesn't make sense to Clay then it's gotta be money talking.

Bah, he's under contract until 2018 and has already made a crap-ton of cash. I don't think $ is what he would be gunning for. He wants to be the guy chasing the QB and making the big sack.

mission
11-13-2014, 01:58 PM
Bah, he's under contract until 2018 and has already made a crap-ton of cash. I don't think $ is what he would be gunning for. He wants to be the guy chasing the QB and making the big sack.

I felt like he blitzed half the time from the inside. Made plays all over the field. Two sacks if you count the penalty play... obviously the former positioning wasn't giving him those same opportunities for whatever reason. It's gotta get pretty tiring ramming into a 315lb dude every single play when you're about 255.

And he's still going to be gunning for one more contract.

MadScientist
11-13-2014, 02:06 PM
If they used him as a true ILB, that would be a waste, and I wouldn't blame him for being unhappy going from the featured OLB to that role. However if they move him all over the place, so the offense doesn't know what he's doing and where he's coming from, then it could have the makings of something special. The LB version of Woodson, a free-roaming source of havoc.

pbmax
11-13-2014, 02:48 PM

Yes, I did as well.

But he has been paid, this isn't exactly Aaron Kampman's situation. And he will get to move around. They still blitzed him from the middle and his not official sack-penalty was off the same stunt/blitz that allowed him to stop the end around in the backfield.

Maxie the Taxi
11-13-2014, 03:09 PM
Look on the bright side...if Clay is bitching, it will motivate TT to draft a quality ILB to move Clay back to the outside.

MadtownPacker
11-13-2014, 03:11 PM
Exactly, fuck that cracka. Whitey is getting paid plenty to do as told. Why aren't you ghostfaces taking shit about how he is not being a team player?

Teamcheez1
11-13-2014, 03:20 PM
He had two sacks (one taken away by penalty) playing from the "inside". Doesn't that equal or exceed his sack total for the other eight games he has payed OLB? I think he'll have almost as many opportunities as he did before as it is a hybrid type role. At the same time, he has to do the dirty work of an ILB.

pbmax
11-13-2014, 03:20 PM
Exactly, fuck that cracka. Whitey is getting paid plenty to do as told. Why aren't you ghostfaces taking shit about how he is not being a team player?

Because he played lights out and didn't mail it in. I wish he was unhappy more often, in other words.

call_me_ishmael
11-13-2014, 03:21 PM

Pretty much this. Brian Cushing played outside in college too. IDK - Clay already got his money. Time to do what's best for the team.

I think his tune will change if he keeps seeing success. He wasn't having a great deal outside.

The key is to use him inside as primarily a run defender. When it comes time to rush the passer, rotate the elephant ends around so they lineup all over the place.

Harlan Huckleby
11-13-2014, 03:21 PM

Long time no see. Glad that the harvest season is over and you found time to fix the forum software.

pbmax
11-13-2014, 03:24 PM
Lori Nickel ‏@LoriNickel 29m29 minutes ago
Clay Matthew on brother saying he doesn’t like ILB: “I got some heat from a few of the guys around here about that"

Lori Nickel ‏@LoriNickel 29m29 minutes ago
“No, there’s not much truth to that. Anytime there is a position change... there’s some hesitation obviously w/what I was comfortable doing.

Lori Nickel ‏@LoriNickel 28m28 minutes ago
Clay M. said he wanted to make plays in or out:
“In a perfect world, I’d like to line outside 100% of the time, get sacks. It worked out.”

Lori Nickel ‏@LoriNickel 24m24 minutes ago
He wasn't playing mind games? "No, I don't think so. I don't know if he's that smart. He's an inside backer, after all," said Clay Matthews

OUCH. REY MAUALUGA AND BRIAN CUSHING (ONCE THE ANESTHESIA WEARS OFF AFTER LATEST SURGERY) WON'T BE HAPPY WITH THIS ONE.

Lori Nickel ‏@LoriNickel 24m24 minutes ago
Does Casey Matthews like to stir the pot a little? "No, that's not Casey at all. he doesn't like the media," said Clay. "He's a quiet kid."

Also here: http://t.co/KBOM7wjYNu

Harlan Huckleby
11-13-2014, 03:26 PM
Everybody gets crabby when the boss tells them to do a job they weren't trained for. You say, "no problem, sir" then bitch a little to your buddies. In this case, Clay's buddy was the sideline reporter.

In theory outside rusher is a more glamorous position. But look how much attention Clay is getting now! He is having more impact on the game from inside and getting love for it. I'm sure he will warm up to the position.

As far as Casey spilling the beans, I expect the Packer WRs have been instructed to take out his knees in a crack-back block.

Joemailman
11-13-2014, 04:02 PM
I don't like delivering mail as much when it's 10 below outside as I do when it's sunny and 70. And in fact I probably work more efficiently when it's sunny and 70.

mraynrand
11-13-2014, 04:30 PM
In related news, Casey also revealed that the Matthews' Mom always liked Clay the best.

KYPack
11-13-2014, 04:33 PM

That's 3 anti-white references in the same post.

That's a 15 yard penalty, repeat 3rd down.

Blanco siempre.

George Cumby
11-13-2014, 08:04 PM

No shit. Motherfucker gets paid big bucks to play a GAME. Do your fucking job, Bloodline.

George Cumby
11-13-2014, 08:06 PM
I don't like delivering mail as much when it's 10 below outside as I do when it's sunny and 70. And in fact I probably work more efficiently when it's sunny and 70.

Yeah but the rest of the team is out there delivering mail, too (minus the desk jockeys).

Rutnstrut
11-13-2014, 10:39 PM
The issue of keeping Clay happy if things changed on the D has come up before. My answer now is the same as it was then, he better adapt and get with the program or hopefully they would cut him if he refused or became more effort than he's worth. I get the feeling that Clay is a huge egomaniac, and most things have to be about Clay. So IF in fact he wasn't pleased, I say tough shit. Suck it up and earn some of that money.

smuggler
11-13-2014, 11:31 PM
He got 2 sacks in the game with the new scheme. I'm sure if every game went that way, he'd be more than satisfied with the change.

Maxie the Taxi
11-14-2014, 08:05 AM
Clay will be fine. He's a thoroughbred is all. His family is a professional football clan. He'll get good advice.

ThunderDan
11-14-2014, 08:19 AM
I felt like he blitzed half the time from the inside. Made plays all over the field. Two sacks if you count the penalty play... obviously the former positioning wasn't giving him those same opportunities for whatever reason. It's gotta get pretty tiring ramming into a 315lb dude every single play when you're about 255.

And he's still going to be gunning for one more contract.

It certainly helps a blitzing ILB when Peppers and Perry are having great years. In pass protection you have to account for Peppers and one-on-one verses Perry's bull rush isn't a good match up for the O. That leaves a lot of one-on-ones for the remaining players. Clay is a player that wins a lot of his match ups.

gbgary
11-14-2014, 04:11 PM
more family members talking for players. geesh! i'm sure if it's an issue mike and clay can hammer it out. casey needs to stfu.

pbmax
11-14-2014, 04:13 PM
more family members talking for players. geesh! i'm sure if it's an issue mike and clay can hammer it out. casey needs to stfu.

I wonder if Casey ended his interview with "SMH" like Jennings sister. :D

gbgary
11-14-2014, 04:16 PM
I wonder if Casey ended his interview with "SMH" like Jennings sister. :D

i think it was smfh. lol

pbmax
11-14-2014, 04:17 PM
i think it was smfh. lol

Even better.

Guiness
11-14-2014, 04:27 PM

mhmm, I was thinking the same. I wonder if this was just an off the cuff comment? I'd be betting Clay has told him to keep him mouth shut where he's concerned going forward...