PDA

View Full Version : The reasons for Flynn over Tolzien.......

Patler
11-14-2014, 03:06 AM
Apparently, the coaches aren't comfortable with Tolzien doing what they want done on a consistent basis:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-backup-quarterback-scott-tolzien-waits-for-chance-b99390500z1-282666101.html

Tolzien's biggest challenge has been adopting changes in footwork and ball release that McCarthy and Van Pelt have required of him since the start of the off-season. It has been a long process and is part of the reason he's still behind Flynn.

Van Pelt said he would be comfortable with the former Wisconsin quarterback playing if needed, but Tolzien still isn't in a place where he can throw the ball the way McCarthy wants it every single time without thinking about it. The two coaches have made alterations to a throwing motion Tolzien had for years before coming to Green Bay.

Cheesehead Craig
11-14-2014, 08:26 AM
Sounds like Rodgers when he got here. Next season we'll see Tolzien as the #2 QB.

channtheman
11-14-2014, 08:30 AM
I think it was Tolzien who used to look like he was shot putting some of his throws when he was still at Wisconsin. It's got to be tough to break a habit that you've had ever since you were throwing a football.

Harlan Huckleby
11-14-2014, 10:15 AM
Tolzien still isn't in a place where he can throw the ball the way McCarthy wants it every single time without thinking about it.

Here's an idea: have Tolzien throw left-handed, then he can throw like Flynn each and every single time - without thinking about it.

This is puzzling. Tolzien passed very well in preseason. He'll be 28 at the start of next season, not 21. Shall we start a list of successful QBs with imperfect mechanics?

Carolina_Packer
11-14-2014, 10:27 AM
Here's an idea: have Tolzien throw left-handed, then he can throw like Flynn each and every single time - without thinking about it.

This is puzzling. Tolzien passed very well in preseason. He'll be 28 at the start of next season, not 21. Shall we start a list of successful QBs with imperfect mechanics?

Philip Rivers looks like he's doing shot put in track and field when he releases the ball. Somehow he makes it work.

Guiness
11-14-2014, 10:47 AM

This. I'm surprised they're fooling around with a QB that age who needs work on his mechanics. I'm not sure what they are hoping to get out of him if he can't even be the #2, I'd rather see a straight developmental guy back there. Maybe they'll pick up Geno Smith in the offseason, he should be cheap!

Zool
11-14-2014, 11:24 AM
Like I keep saying, if you could put Flynn's brain into Tolzien's body you would really have something.

Maxie the Taxi
11-14-2014, 11:29 AM
Like I keep saying, if you could put Flynn's brain into Tolzien's body you would really have something.

I'm all for it. The technology exists.
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSATED8eLyEWvLOJqS51iQ8JOrkUh_Jv hr2OGwmkW1CHRgX90Mfmw

Zool
11-14-2014, 11:42 AM
I'm all for it. The technology exists.
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSATED8eLyEWvLOJqS51iQ8JOrkUh_Jv hr2OGwmkW1CHRgX90Mfmw

Who's this Abby Normal?

Maxie the Taxi
11-14-2014, 11:44 AM
Who's this Abby Normal?

Jay Cutler?

Brandon494
11-15-2014, 01:19 PM
Sounds like Rodgers when he got here. Next season we'll see Tolzien as the #2 QB.

:roll:

Joemailman
11-15-2014, 05:46 PM
There could be another reason for keeping matt Flynn around:

http://www.rantsports.com/clubhouse/wp-content/slideshow/2013/08/hottest-wag-from-each-nfl-team/medium/lacey-minchew.jpg

Guiness
11-15-2014, 06:02 PM
There could be another reason for keeping matt Flynn around:

In a very loosely related topic, about QBs and their SOs...a story is going around that the reason behind Golden Tate's black eye (and why Seattle didn't make much attempt to re-sign him) was that Havin decked him after finding out Golden slept with Wilson's wife! And I get to post this

http://www.ridethepine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Screen-Shot-2013-01-06-at-2.46.59-PM.png

Patler
11-15-2014, 06:59 PM
In a very loosely related topic, about QBs and their SOs...a story is going around that the reason behind Golden Tate's black eye (and why Seattle didn't make much attempt to re-sign him) was that Havin decked him after finding out Golden slept with Wilson's wife!

Could be why Wilson and his wife shocked everyone this summer by announcing their divorce.

pbmax
11-15-2014, 07:15 PM
Could be why Wilson and his wife shocked everyone this summer by announcing their divorce.

Tate leaving in FA makes more sense than Harvin leaving amid (anonymous) reports of disagreements with the QB. If Harvin was that good of a friend to Wilson, this year's release makes little sense.