PDA

View Full Version : The Official "Why did MM just call a timeout for the other team right before halftime?" thread

channtheman
11-17-2014, 12:32 AM
Hey so this is something that MM has done many many MANY times, and it has rarely (if ever) worked out well for us. Fortunately for us, I don't think it has cost us games yet and so he continues to get away with it. But I think it's time we start posting each game that MM calls a timeout right before halftime when he thinks our defense will get a stop, only for our defense to in fact do the opposite and give up a huge play and let the opposing offense score points. Maybe after we compile a list of all the failures we can send it to him and he'll stop doing it. For complete fairness, we should probably post the successes (if there ever are any) too.

11/16 Vs. Eagles. Called timeout after 2nd down play. Eagles with big pass play on 3rd down.

HarveyWallbangers
11-17-2014, 01:34 AM
I don't mind the move most of the time. You should be able to stop the other team on 3rd and very long (3rd and 12 in this case), and it gives you a chance at another score. I didn't agree with it this time. Philly was down 30-3, they are a high scoring team, and they had no momentum. It gave the Eagles a chance to get some momentum before half-time. At that point, he should have been content with a 30-3 lead at halftime.

Tyrion Lannister
11-17-2014, 01:45 AM
Hey so this is something that MM has done many many MANY times, and it has rarely (if ever) worked out well for us. Fortunately for us, I don't think it has cost us games yet and so he continues to get away with it. But I think it's time we start posting each game that MM calls a timeout right before halftime when he thinks our defense will get a stop, only for our defense to in fact do the opposite and give up a huge play and let the opposing offense score points. Maybe after we compile a list of all the failures we can send it to him and he'll stop doing it. For complete fairness, we should probably post the successes (if there ever are any) too.

11/16 Vs. Eagles. Called timeout after 2nd down play. Eagles with big pass play on 3rd down.

I actually liked the call. It was 3rd and 12. The odds favored the Packers getting the ball back. Defense simply did not execute. I am sure Capers was like "fuck!" in his warm sky box after the Eagles converted.

Gotta be aggressive and play to win. Conservative football sucks.

Patler
11-17-2014, 06:02 AM
I liked the call, and even said "time out" before it was announced, but it had nothing to do with hoping to get the ball back and score. I doubt MM was worried about getting another score at that point either. It was a good timeout to allow the defense to collect itself, and to make sure you have the players on the field that you want. With Philly, it's not just their no huddle and how quickly they get to the line. They also snap the ball quickly.

I suspect he was more concerned about giving his defense the chance to get set than it was to conserve time for the offense. The objective was to prevent a TD via a big play.