PDA

View Full Version : Packer weaknesses

Harlan Huckleby
11-17-2014, 09:08 PM
The team looks as complete as any in NFL. I think Matthews has shored up the center of defense. Here's the remaining soft underbelly:

1) Offensive line depth. I wonder if Tretter can play anything but center.
2) Tight end. They aren't terrible there. But other teams seem to have a threat.

That's the whole list. If they stay healthy, they're golden.

Joemailman
11-17-2014, 09:15 PM
Rodgers has yet to lead them to a 4th quarter comeback win at home. The huge leads they've had has masked their obvious weakness.

Tyrion Lannister
11-17-2014, 09:40 PM
3) Tackling. Ha-Ha and Burnett each missed a tackle on the Eagles' 2 TDs.

smuggler
11-18-2014, 02:43 AM
Run defense will face a real test against the Pats. Not sure if it's a weakness. Or rather, how much of a weakness it is...

pbmax
11-18-2014, 07:26 AM
3) Tackling. Ha-Ha and Burnett each missed a tackle on the Eagles' 2 TDs.

This.

Willard
11-18-2014, 08:03 AM
The team looks as complete as any in NFL. I think Matthews has shored up the center of defense. Here's the remaining soft underbelly:

1) Offensive line depth. I wonder if Tretter can play anything but center.
2) Tight end. They aren't terrible there. But other teams seem to have a threat.

That's the whole list. If they stay healthy, they're golden.
4) Backup QBs suck
5) Special Teams Coordinator sucks

hoosier
11-18-2014, 08:17 AM
Some questionable coaching decisions, like hopeless or pointless challenges and ill-advised timeouts at the end of the first half that end up giving the opponent a better opportunity to score points. Overall I think MM does a great job, but heat of the moment decision-making isn't his strong suit.

Harlan Huckleby
11-18-2014, 08:27 AM
endzone celebrations

Harlan Huckleby
11-18-2014, 08:28 AM
4) Backup QBs suck

plural - really? Don't fuck with me, pal.

Pugger
11-18-2014, 09:46 AM
4) Backup QBs suck
5) Special Teams Coordinator sucks

We don't know how improved Tolzien is seeing he's never active. I've seen enough of Flynn... :-|

Tyrion Lannister
11-18-2014, 09:58 AM
endzone celebrations

Agreed. Nelson simply toss the ball over to a ref. Every else just jump into the stand. Boring.

The Packers need to be fun/funny like this guy:

https://vine.co/v/O5UZtZEnl2A

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B2nVHjmCEAAbz1u.jpg

mraynrand
11-18-2014, 10:13 AM
1) Obviously the Packers O-line wilts against the several teams that can apply pressure with the front 4. Could probably have to face 2-3 to win Superbowl, not to mention the division (Detroit). Cannot run block all that well, but that may be due to guards' toes and ankles. The Giants of 2007/2011 would dismantle this team too. Question is whether Niners, Lions, Cards are as good as those Giant teams....

2) Spectre of injuries (knock on wood-son)

hoosier
11-18-2014, 10:27 AM
1) Obviously the Packers O-line wilts against the several teams that can apply pressure with the front 4.

Eagles had 32 sacks in nine games going into last Sunday, including eight against NYG and nine against Carolina. They got one against GB. Not sure how obvious it is that the Pack OL wilts against standard pressure.

Patler
11-18-2014, 10:43 AM
Eagles had 32 sacks in nine games going into last Sunday, including eight against NYG and nine against Carolina.

So, another way to look at it is that they had 15 sacks in 7 games.

wist43
11-18-2014, 11:16 AM
1) Dom Capers is our biggest weakness - he can't be trusted from game to game. He's as likely to come out with a completely moronic gameplan as he is to do anything right. He's proven that over and over and over and over.

1a) Run defense, e.g. Dom Capers. If his gameplan calls for abandoning the middle of the field - we're sunk against tough, physical teams. We don't have the size to hold up against good run blocking teams. Scheme can minimize the damage, but of course Capers can't be trusted.

1b) ILB's. We have none. Without knowing much about other teams ILB situations - I would still feel confident in saying we have the worst stable of ILBs in the league. The position needs to be completely gutted and Ted needs to start over from scratch.

2) The OL is soft - very soft. Nothing can be done about it though, as Stubby and Ted prefer soft players who can slide and mirror, as opposed to physical run blockers.

3) TE. Rodgers was a wasted pick, especially so since there were still some good ILB's on the board when he took him. Quarless is probably our best TE, which isn't saying much.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

We're good enough everywhere else to cover up those weaknesses, sans ILB perhaps, and of course dunderdummy. We have enough talent to win a SB, so it all comes down to dunderdummy.

If he can keep his head out of his ass for the next few months, we have a decent shot; if he reverts to his nature, we'll be bounced out of the playoffs - probably in predictable embarrassing dunderdummy fashion.

Carolina_Packer
11-18-2014, 11:59 AM
Some questionable coaching decisions, like hopeless or pointless challenges and ill-advised timeouts at the end of the first half that end up giving the opponent a better opportunity to score points. Overall I think MM does a great job, but heat of the moment decision-making isn't his strong suit.

In baseball there is a bench coach for the manager to bounce things off of in the heat of the moment. I wonder if there is someone with a similar capacity for NFL head coaches.

Tyrion Lannister
11-18-2014, 12:01 PM
1) Dom Capers is our biggest weakness - he can't be trusted from game to game. He's as likely to come out with a completely moronic gameplan as he is to do anything right. He's proven that over and over and over and over.

1a) Run defense, e.g. Dom Capers. If his gameplan calls for abandoning the middle of the field - we're sunk against tough, physical teams. We don't have the size to hold up against good run blocking teams. Scheme can minimize the damage, but of course Capers can't be trusted.

1b) ILB's. We have none. Without knowing much about other teams ILB situations - I would still feel confident in saying we have the worst stable of ILBs in the league. The position needs to be completely gutted and Ted needs to start over from scratch.

2) The OL is soft - very soft. Nothing can be done about it though, as Stubby and Ted prefer soft players who can slide and mirror, as opposed to physical run blockers.

3) TE. Rodgers was a wasted pick, especially so since there were still some good ILB's on the board when he took him. Quarless is probably our best TE, which isn't saying much.

We're good enough everywhere else to cover up those weaknesses, sans ILB perhaps, and of course dunderdummy. We have enough talent to win a SB, so it all comes down to dunderdummy.

If he can keep his head out of his ass for the next few months, we have a decent shot; if he reverts to his nature, we'll be bounced out of the playoffs - probably in predictable embarrassing dunderdummy fashion.

In defense of Capers, the Polar Bear didn't do anything to upgrade the ILB position the past 2 off-seasons when it was clearer than Heisenberg's crystal meth that the ILBers on the roster sucked. Thompson probably is still hoping for Hawk to turn into Batman and Jones into a Robin. Not gonna happen.

So far the Claymaker is looking good at ILB (thanks to Capers), but he's still playing out of position. Thompson needs to quit hibernating, do his job and acquire a hotshot ILB or two.

denverYooper
11-18-2014, 12:03 PM
1) Obviously the Packers O-line wilts against the several teams that can apply pressure with the front 4. Could probably have to face 2-3 to win Superbowl, not to mention the division (Detroit). Cannot run block all that well, but that may be due to guards' toes and ankles. The Giants of 2007/2011 would dismantle this team too. Question is whether Niners, Lions, Cards are as good as those Giant teams....

2) Spectre of injuries (knock on wood-son)

This seems to be more of a problem on the road. Playing at home helps a lot. If they keep winning, they'll play most of the playoffs at home.

The emergence of Lacy as a checkdown/screen weapon over the last 4 weeks might alleviate some of these problems.

Fritz
11-18-2014, 12:36 PM

I was curious about linebackers who were drafted after Rodgers in the third round. Here are a few of them:

4 119 Dallas Cowboys Anthony Hitchens LB Iowa
4 126New Orleans Saints Khairi Fortt LB California
4 132 Seattle Seahawks Kevin Pierre-Louis LB Boston College
4* 139 Atlanta Falcons Prince Shembo LB Notre Dame
5 144 Jacksonville Jaguars Telvin Smith LB Florida State
5 151 Tennessee Titans Avery Williamson LB Kentucky
5 154 New York Jets Jeremiah George LB Iowa State
5 156 Denver Broncos Lamin Barrow LB LSU

These are some of the linebackers drafted after Richard Rodgers, excluding the Packers' Carl Bradford. I don't know which are inside linebackers, nor do I know which of those inside linebackers are starting or are playing well and a lot.

Anybody know enough football to know the answers to any of these questions?

pbmax
11-18-2014, 01:12 PM

Not only did he run mostly 2-4 again versus the Eagles, he had Matthews aligned almost outside of the tackle box to get some leverage on the slot/TE. That was a five man box at times stopping LeSean McCoy. Though there was a fair amount of single high safety.

Eagles were 31-109 on the ground.

Harlan Huckleby
11-18-2014, 01:21 PM
Eagles had 32 sacks in nine games going into last Sunday, including eight against NYG and nine against Carolina. They got one against GB. Not sure how obvious it is that the Pack OL wilts against standard pressure.

I've been increasingly impressed with pass blocking of O-line. I'm only worried about an injury.

pbmax
11-18-2014, 01:23 PM
In defense of Capers, the Polar Bear didn't do anything to upgrade the ILB position the past 2 off-seasons when it was clearer than Heisenberg's crystal meth that the ILBers on the roster sucked. Thompson probably is still hoping for Hawk to turn into Batman and Jones into a Robin. Not gonna happen.

So far the Claymaker is looking good at ILB (thanks to Capers), but he's still playing out of position. Thompson needs to quit hibernating, do his job and acquire a hotshot ILB or two.

1. He did not get the ILB position upgraded. But consider the addition of Peppers and the case of Dix versus Prior.

For Peppers, Ted got him AND had to give up ZERO compensatory picks.

Prior and Dix are perfect examples of why giving up picks is not a good idea. The Jets just benched Prior. Draft picks are 50% shots to make it, much less be a difference maker. To trade up, or give up a pick to get FA du Jour is how teams leave their core hollow. Thompson solved two different problems, got two potential difference makers and spent ONE draft pick.

2. Bake your noodle with this one: is Clay Matthews a better ILB than OLB? Forget the money, does he make more sense inside than outside?

mraynrand
11-18-2014, 01:24 PM

looks like you have the answer in your own post. Eagles D-line not as formidable as Lions, Seahawks, 49ers.

But yes, Yoop is right that there tends to be a home and away difference, except that distinction didn't affect the NYG in 2007/11.

mraynrand
11-18-2014, 01:26 PM

It's not so much soft as geared for pass pro. The deficiencies in the run game are just magnified by the injured guards who, at this point, are OK in pass pro, but weak in run blocking. Maybe they heal up some.

pbmax
11-18-2014, 01:29 PM
looks like you have the answer in your own post. Eagles D-line not as formidable as Lions, Seahawks, 49ers.

But yes, Yoop is right that there tends to be a home and away difference, except that distinction didn't affect the NYG in 2007/11.

Was the 2007 Giants pass rush really the difference?

I definitely agree the 2011 game came down to Eli having forever to throw and Rodgers not enough time to break down the Cover 2 Man Giant coverage. Good news this year is that the opponent, especially at home, will not have that big an edge because the pass rush has sustained its improvement over last year.

Regarding my reply to wist, I have to watch Linsley more in run blocking. I haven't watched him much on runs.

hoosier
11-18-2014, 01:42 PM

Carolina's OL is a disaster but the NYG OL isn't bad. The rushes for Seattle and SF front fours have not been impressive this year. The Eagles have been setting the standard for good pass rush this year.

mraynrand
11-18-2014, 01:57 PM
Carolina's OL is a disaster but the NYG OL isn't bad. The rushes for Seattle and SF front fours have not been impressive this year. The Eagles have been setting the standard for good pass rush this year.

I just don't agree. And it doesn't come down to just sacks. Defensive pressure is about changing what the offense can do. That's how the Packers have been defeated.

I think Philly has three sacks against the niners, but they lost because even without Aldon Smith, 49ers got consistent pressure, and dropped Foles below 50% completion and two INTs.

Same thing at Arizona - reduced completion percent, 2 INTs. And Philly didn't get a whiff of Carson Palmer. Could be a road/home thing - I really hope so, except that Packers will probably have to play at Arizona...

smuggler
11-18-2014, 02:14 PM
I wouldn't be so sure. I have a feeling that the NFC North winner will have a very good shot at HFA.

Cheesehead Craig
11-18-2014, 02:35 PM
I was curious about linebackers who were drafted after Rodgers in the third round. Here are a few of them:

4 119 Dallas Cowboys Anthony Hitchens LB Iowa - Started at all LB spots. Very good run defender. Although considered a reach at this pick at the tim.
4 126New Orleans Saints Khairi Fortt LB California - OLB, Doesn't play.
4 132 Seattle Seahawks Kevin Pierre-Louis LB Boston College - OLB, doesn't play much
4* 139 Atlanta Falcons Prince Shembo LB Notre Dame - OLB I believe, has shown flashes of good play but has been injured and missed a few games.
5 144 Jacksonville Jaguars Telvin Smith LB Florida State - ILB that only plays nickel ILB and is only weighs 215 or so. No run help here.
5 151 Tennessee Titans Avery Williamson LB Kentucky - ILB and very much a stud for a rookie.
5 154 New York Jets Jeremiah George LB Iowa State - ILB, doesn't play very much at all
5 156 Denver Broncos Lamin Barrow LB LSU - ILB, Doesn't play.

These are some of the linebackers drafted after Richard Rodgers, excluding the Packers' Carl Bradford. I don't know which are inside linebackers, nor do I know which of those inside linebackers are starting or are playing well and a lot.

Took a gander at these guys and there seems that 2 of them have turned out to be very good in Hitchens and Williamson.

MadScientist
11-18-2014, 03:37 PM
1. He did not get the ILB position upgraded. But consider the addition of Peppers and the case of Dix versus Prior.

Prior and Dix are perfect examples of why giving up picks is not a good idea. The Jets just benched Prior. Draft picks are 50% shots to make it, much less be a difference maker. To trade up, or give up a pick to get FA du Jour is how teams leave their core hollow. Thompson solved two different problems, got two potential difference makers and spent ONE draft pick.

2. Bake your noodle with this one: is Clay Matthews a better ILB than OLB? Forget the money, does he make more sense inside than outside?

Clay is best when the offense is not sure how to account for him. He is being used not just as an ILB, but sometimes OLB and sometimes as DL #5. The offenses are not sure how to react and make sure he is accounted for, so his production has gone up quite a bit the last two weeks. The question is will there be enough tape on him later for the offenses to properly prepare, or are there enough wrinkles to keep them guessing the rest of the year? Until this change, he wasn't very productive this year and the defense wasn't playing well. The real test will be in two weeks against a top notch team with a coach who knows how to prepare.

I noticed that about Prior getting benched. I was just happy the Packers got one of the safeties in the draft. Looks like they got the right one.

pbmax
11-18-2014, 04:23 PM
Well, its nice to know I haven't lost my mind. Packers did use a Bear front versus Eagles. That's 4 linebackers (Peppers, Hawk, Perry and Matthews) and 2 lineman (Daniels and Guion).

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B2wGuQtCUAE5mMu.png:large

Cheesehead Craig
11-18-2014, 04:28 PM
But pb, the NFL logo is all by itself guarding the middle of the field, we may as well just abandon it if we're going to do that.

wist43
11-18-2014, 04:30 PM

4 119 Dallas Cowboys Anthony Hitchens LB Iowa
4 126New Orleans Saints Khairi Fortt LB California
4 132 Seattle Seahawks Kevin Pierre-Louis LB Boston College
4* 139 Atlanta Falcons Prince Shembo LB Notre Dame
5 144 Jacksonville Jaguars Telvin Smith LB Florida State
5 151 Tennessee Titans Avery Williamson LB Kentucky
5 154 New York Jets Jeremiah George LB Iowa State
5 156 Denver Broncos Lamin Barrow LB LSU

Smith is a guy I wanted. He's starting in Jax and is very highly regarded. He's leading them in tackles. He's undersized to be sure, but the kid can flat out play... couple more years to put some muscle on him, and he'll be a very good player in the league. I'd take Smith over Rodgers and Bradford every time.

Ted stepped in it when he took Rodgers so early, then turned around and stepped in it again by taking Bradford. Then, inexplicably, they take Bradford and proclaim that they're going to play in at DE??!! One look at the guy, 5 minutes of watching some of his college tape and you could tell the guy had no chance to succeed at DE on the pro level. He should only have ever been considered an ILB prospect - and it's looking like he can't play there either.

mraynrand
11-18-2014, 04:41 PM
Well, its nice to know I haven't lost my mind. Packers did use a Bear front versus Eagles. That's 4 linebackers (Peppers, Hawk, Perry and Matthews) and 2 lineman (Daniels and Guion).

Perry has hand in dirt = Lineman. Peppers too is perhaps playing like a lineman on that play. You cannot confine Capers in your neat little box!

wist43
11-18-2014, 04:46 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B2wGuQtCUAE5mMu.png:large

There ya go with that senile BS again - Perry?? does it look like he's "backing the line" in that presnap look?? No, of course not - he's got his hand on the ground as a DOWN LINEMAN...

That is a 3-3 look exactly as I've calling for, with the 3 down linemen inside the Tackles... Hawk is the weakest link there, but hopefully he'll be gone next year and we can get a solid player in there. For now we're stuck with him.

The 3 down linemen inside the Tackles is necessary to deal with the run - for the past few years, Capers has refused to use this alignment at all. Now that he is, we're getting much better results.

That said, dunderdummy did revert to his 2-4 nature, and on those snaps the Eagles would have lit us up for big gainers and long TD's if Sanchez had been able to hit the broadside of a barn. If dunderdummy does that against Tom Brady?? The Pats are going to hang 50+ pts on us... not to mention the fact that they'll simply run Jonas Gray down our throats.

How quickly you guys forget how absolutely abhorrent our defense has been for 3 years running... 2 halfway decent games and all is forgotten - well, I'm here to tell ya, Dom Capers cannot be trusted, and we are next weeks gameplan away from looking like the Keystone Cops again. I hope dunderdummy keeps it going, but have exactly zero faith in the guy.

red
11-18-2014, 04:49 PM
I would hope that the mathews experiment at ILB has shown the club just what having talent at ILB can do for this defense.

I think because of this, they will either move CMIII there fulltime, or realise that they have to find someone else to play there. Either draft someone, find a free agent, or trade for one

hopefully, the days of weak ass insid play are behind us

King Friday
11-18-2014, 05:36 PM
I wouldn't be so sure. I have a feeling that the NFC North winner will have a very good shot at HFA.

I agree. The Cardinals have a hell of a schedule remaining against some teams that will be fighting tooth and nail to get into the playoffs...and the Rams might not be fighting for the playoffs, but they can't be overlooked either.

home and away w/Seahawks
@ Niners
@Rams
Chiefs
Falcons

It would not surprise me at all if Arizona goes 2-4 in their final 6...and I think the most likely scenario is 3-3. If I had to wager, I'd say 12 wins will be the top of the conference. Green Bay has to win 5 of 6 to get there...and the only game they can really afford to lose in the New England game since it is out of conference.

Pugger
11-18-2014, 05:58 PM
I just don't agree. And it doesn't come down to just sacks. Defensive pressure is about changing what the offense can do. That's how the Packers have been defeated.

I think Philly has three sacks against the niners, but they lost because even without Aldon Smith, 49ers got consistent pressure, and dropped Foles below 50% completion and two INTs.

Same thing at Arizona - reduced completion percent, 2 INTs. And Philly didn't get a whiff of Carson Palmer. Could be a road/home thing - I really hope so, except that Packers will probably have to play at Arizona...

Philly's pass rush is better than you suggest.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=OPP&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=SACKS&season=2014&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=false&Submit=Go

Maxie the Taxi
11-18-2014, 06:07 PM
Smith is a guy I wanted. He's starting in Jax and is very highly regarded. He's leading them in tackles. He's undersized to be sure, but the kid can flat out play... couple more years to put some muscle on him, and he'll be a very good player in the league. I'd take Smith over Rodgers and Bradford every time.

Ted stepped in it when he took Rodgers so early, then turned around and stepped in it again by taking Bradford. Then, inexplicably, they take Bradford and proclaim that they're going to play in at DE??!! One look at the guy, 5 minutes of watching some of his college tape and you could tell the guy had no chance to succeed at DE on the pro level. He should only have ever been considered an ILB prospect - and it's looking like he can't play there either.

I too wanted TT to draft Telvin Smith. I watched him play at Florida State many times. The guy IS small for a LB (6'3", 218 lbs), but he is FAST and QUICK. He has the best nose for the football I've ever seen. Great hands and the knack for the big play. Although he's smallish, he makes a lot of tackles, many behind the LOS, because he anticipates so well, moves so quickly and tackles well.

By the way, he's listed on the Jaguars' depth chart as an OLB. I think he could play inside. He plays part time for Jacksonville, has 40 tackles (28 solo), two sacks and an interception. I'd play him instead of Hawk in a heartbeat.

By the way Paul Posluszny leads the Jags in tackles with 69. He's one reason Smith is playing outside (although I've seen him play inside as well).

Posluszny would also look fantastic in Green and Gold.

Harlan Huckleby
11-18-2014, 06:18 PM
I would hope that the mathews experiment at ILB has shown the club just what having talent at ILB can do for this defense.

Yes, and I hope the club finally realizes that having a talent like Clay Matthews at every position would be a good idea.

pbmax
11-18-2014, 06:41 PM
Robert Olson ‏@RobertOlson92 4h4 hours ago
I love this "Bear" front look by the #Packers in the Nickel. I hope Dom uses this more: http://pic.twitter.com/yXyylLW790

Chris B. Brown ‏@smartfootball 4h4 hours ago
.@RobertOlson92 @cheeseheadtv a lot of teams have used Bear looks against Eagles to shut down the inside run game https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B2wGuQtCUAE5mMu.png:large …

Ross Fulton ‏@RossRFulton 4h4 hours ago
@smartfootball @RobertOlson92 @cheeseheadtv He and Urban need another get together. OSU has responded w power & dart to get angles vs. Bear.

Robert Olson ‏@RobertOlson92 4h4 hours ago
@RossRFulton @smartfootball And if I'm not mistaken, in the 2012 Stanford-Oregon matchup, Stanford used the Bear front a lot vs. Chip.

@RobertOlson92 @RossRFulton kinda sorta, they pinched their front a bit (UO also more explosive on edges than PHI (relatively speaking)

@RobertOlson92 @RossRFulton PHI doesn't really run much true power, they just run a single back power pull that is more of an ISO scheme

Ross Fulton ‏@RossRFulton 3h3 hours ago
@smartfootball @RobertOlson92 Yea OSU pulled dart out of mothballs (hadn't seen them run it in 2 yrs) b/c they needed a C gap run v. Bear

Tyrion Lannister
11-18-2014, 06:43 PM

I still think Thompson should've traded up to get Shazier. Draft Dezman Southward or Terrence Brooks in the 2nd or 3rd round. As much as I hate to see Hyde on defense, he coulda hold the fort at saftey til a young un is ready.

pbmax
11-18-2014, 06:48 PM
The 3 down linemen inside the Tackles is necessary to deal with the run - for the past few years, Capers has refused to use this alignment at all. Now that he is, we're getting much better results.

Unfortunately, this is the first game they rolled this out, though I haven't verified that against film study. So earlier improvements in run defense versus the Lions, Vikings, Dolphins, Panthers and Bears II came about though some other magic.

According to the Twitter coaching commentariat, its a common front to deal with Chip Kelly's inside zone read play calls.

But maybe he will see it your way.

pbmax
11-18-2014, 07:16 PM

You did get your 3 down lineman. But I thought it was 4 in the box that was the problem with the 2-4?

The 2-4 is supposed to tilted toward dealing with the pass, but Capers runs it as his base much of the time. All an opposing OC need do is put 3 wides on the field, and he knows he's going to get a 2-4 with 4 men in the box - easy to run on.

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?27020-After-1-preseason-game-Pack-it-in-the-season-is-already-over&p=793056&viewfull=1#post793056

Isn't the true upgrade here (and what worked in Chicago) the substitution of Perry for Jones/Lattimore/Barrington?

wist43
11-18-2014, 07:35 PM
You did get your 3 down lineman. But I thought it was 4 in the box that was the problem with the 2-4?

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?27020-After-1-preseason-game-Pack-it-in-the-season-is-already-over&p=793056&viewfull=1#post793056

Isn't the true upgrade here (and what worked in Chicago) the substitution of Perry for Jones/Lattimore/Barrington?

4 in the box is okay if 3 of them are down linemen - and of course they maintain gap discipline and don't get blown off the ball.

This year, Capers has run 3 down linemen more often in 10 games than he did in the previous 3 seasons combined. His idiotic 2-4, and especially the "Jumbo 2-4" is what was getting us gashed in the running game - and add to that all the breakdowns in the secondary and you had a hot mess.

They've managed to clean up the secondary quite a bit, and Capers isn't abandoning the middle of the field the way has the previous few years. 2 down linemen, backed up by terrible ILB's, who were then backed up by terrible Safeties?? Need I say that was a recipe for disaster??

Now we're getting many more looks with 3 down linemen, and Capers isn't abandoning the middle of the field nearly as much - I'm sure he wants to, lol... but so far in 2014 he's been minding his manners. The question is, will he revert back to his default tendancies at any given moment and torpedo our season??

It all comes down to Capers - we have enough talent to get to Arizona, it's just a matter of whether Capers can keep his shit together for another few months.

wist43
11-18-2014, 07:43 PM
Unfortunately, this is the first game they rolled this out, though I haven't verified that against film study. So earlier improvements in run defense versus the Lions, Vikings, Dolphins, Panthers and Bears II came about though some other magic.

According to the Twitter coaching commentariat, its a common front to deal with Chip Kelly's inside zone read play calls.

But maybe he will see it your way.

Whether they had played the 3 down linemen inside the Tackles previously or not isn't as important as the fact that they've been running more base against 3 wides, and more 3-3 nickel. True, he has played some 2-4, but not nearly as much as in the past, and not in "either/or" situations. I can live with the 2-4 if it is not used as our base defense, or our base/nickel defense.

As long as there is little chance of a run - I can live with the 2-4, although only as a changeup. I'm sure there are reasons related to personnel groupings that would lend themselves to throwing a 2-4 our there from time to time, but for the most part, we need to be running a 3-3 as our base nickel.

The alignment you showed would be my base nickel alignment in "either/or" down/distance situations. I've been calling for that alignment for a couple of years now.

wist43
11-18-2014, 07:55 PM
I too wanted TT to draft Telvin Smith. I watched him play at Florida State many times. The guy IS small for a LB (6'3", 218 lbs), but he is FAST and QUICK. He has the best nose for the football I've ever seen. Great hands and the knack for the big play. Although he's smallish, he makes a lot of tackles, many behind the LOS, because he anticipates so well, moves so quickly and tackles well.

By the way, he's listed on the Jaguars' depth chart as an OLB. I think he could play inside. He plays part time for Jacksonville, has 40 tackles (28 solo), two sacks and an interception. I'd play him instead of Hawk in a heartbeat.

By the way Paul Posluszny leads the Jags in tackles with 69. He's one reason Smith is playing outside (although I've seen him play inside as well).

Posluszny would also look fantastic in Green and Gold.

I didn't look at Posluszny b/c he's on IR... of those still active, I believe Smith's 40 tackles leads the team - pretty sure those don't include assists. Any which way, no matter how Smith could have been used in a Packer uniform, he would have been a much, much better choice than Rodgers or Bradford.

For that matter, Rodgers and Bradford don't = Smith.

Bossman641
11-18-2014, 08:01 PM
Packers played 4 downs of 3-4 against Philly....the goal line stand at the very end of the game. Perry to OLB and CM3 to ILB is what was shored up the run D.

mraynrand
11-19-2014, 12:48 AM
Philly's pass rush is better than you suggest.

How good do you think I'm suggesting it is? I think I think it is better than you suggest I suggest.

HarveyWallbangers
11-19-2014, 01:34 AM
I didn't look at Posluszny b/c he's on IR... of those still active, I believe Smith's 40 tackles leads the team - pretty sure those don't include assists. Any which way, no matter how Smith could have been used in a Packer uniform, he would have been a much, much better choice than Rodgers or Bradford.

For that matter, Rodgers and Bradford don't = Smith.

Smith isn't in the top 3 on the Jaguars in either solo tackles nor combined tackles. NFL.com only has him down for three starts this year, so he could have been highly productive in those three games. Then again, three starts is hardly enough time to judge a guy--good or bad. Teams haven't don't have a ton of film to game plan him on.

Cheesehead Craig
11-19-2014, 08:49 AM
Smith isn't in the top 3 on the Jaguars in either solo tackles nor combined tackles. NFL.com only has him down for three starts this year, so he could have been highly productive in those three games. Then again, three starts is hardly enough time to judge a guy--good or bad. Teams haven't don't have a ton of film to game plan him on.

Smith is their nickel ILB because he's built like a safety (about 215). Is fast but needs to put on another 15-20 lbs at least to withstand a beating as an everydown ILB.