PDA

View Full Version : Official Packers vs. Patriots Discussion Thread

Joemailman
11-23-2014, 03:10 PM
Just wanted to be the first to say...

Possible Super Bowl Preview!

Harlan Huckleby
11-23-2014, 03:10 PM
Did you already burn the tape from the Packers-Vikings game, Coach?

pbmax
11-23-2014, 03:11 PM
Show them nothing. Win the game for Home Field. Easy Peasy.

Joemailman
11-23-2014, 04:42 PM
Who covers Gronk next week? Don't tell me Hawk.

red
11-23-2014, 05:22 PM

Well what you dont do is single team him, he needs to be doubled on every play

Well after 11 weeks i still dont know what kind of team we have. Are we great, above average, average, bad. are we a super bowl caliber team, or just wild card one and dones again?

I think after the game next week we'll know

call_me_ishmael
11-23-2014, 06:07 PM

HHCD.

Maxie the Taxi
11-23-2014, 06:19 PM

I think we should assign a spy to follow Gronk....Gronk is 6'6" and 265. We should activate Adrian Hubbard from the Practice Squad and have him shadow Gronk wherever he goes, and smack him hard any chance he gets, legal or illegal. Hubbard is 6'6" and 257. At least it would be a fair fight. :duel:

Teamcheez1
11-23-2014, 06:39 PM
Well what you dont do is single team him, he needs to be doubled on every play

Well after 11 weeks i still dont know what kind of team we have. Are we great, above average, average, bad. are we a super bowl caliber team, or just wild card one and dones again?

I think after the game next week we'll know

One advantage we may gain is we don't need to be particularly concerned with Brady running. I think we were worried about Bridgewater scrambling today.

wist43
11-23-2014, 07:04 PM

Did Hawk look absolutely pathetic against the Vikings or what??

Wow was terrible... Gronk could have 23 catches for 289 yds, and 6 TD's.

gbgary
11-23-2014, 07:05 PM
nervous... very nervous. gronk scares me.

wist43
11-23-2014, 07:06 PM
One advantage we may gain is we don't need to be particularly concerned with Brady running. I think we were worried about Bridgewater scrambling today.

Brady will throw for at least 5 TD's against Capers.

I looked at an early line that had us favored by 3, but I don't buy that at all - NE is very well coached, and we have the eternal liability that is dunderdummy... I'll be shocked if we win this game.

George Cumby
11-23-2014, 07:19 PM
Both teams can afford to lose this one. Both need it for home-field. Should be good.

pbmax
11-23-2014, 07:35 PM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 3m3 minutes ago
#Packers 7-1 in last eight. Five wins by at least 21. Patriots have won seven in a row. Five wins by at least 22.

Joemailman
11-23-2014, 07:41 PM
Did Hawk look absolutely pathetic against the Vikings or what??

Wow was terrible... Gronk could have 23 catches for 289 yds, and 6 TD's.

Hawk looks to me like a guy who has really lost a step this year. And he's a guy who couldn't afford to lose a step. I'm sure they'll have a plan for shadowing Gronk, and I don't think Hawk will be a major part of the plan. Probably some combination of Hyde, Ha-Ha and House.

denverYooper
11-23-2014, 07:54 PM
Evan Silva ‏@evansilva 28m28 minutes ago
#Packers RB Eddie Lacy has 9 TDs over his last 8 games & 100+ total yards in 4 straight. Avging 5.06 YPC since September.

woodbuck27
11-23-2014, 08:07 PM
Did you already burn the tape from the Packers-Vikings game, Coach?

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRIDtkTZ9tI1wz2bgpyYF080UaB_IFNv XMJdgf3J8PuDbwKm87RqA

Yaa that's gone and filed under 'Lacy'.

Bossman641
11-23-2014, 08:22 PM

I looked at an early line that had us favored by 3, but I don't buy that at all - NE is very well coached, and we have the eternal liability that is dunderdummy... I'll be shocked if we win this game.

And if the Packers somehow miraculously win??? You will sweep it away like them lucking their way to a SB??

woodbuck27
11-23-2014, 08:36 PM

Brady Vs Bridgewater....hahahahaha :whaa:

Tyrion Lannister
11-23-2014, 09:00 PM
Hawk looks to me like a guy who has really lost a step this year. And he's a guy who couldn't afford to lose a step. I'm sure they'll have a plan for shadowing Gronk, and I don't think Hawk will be a major part of the plan. Probably some combination of Hyde, Ha-Ha and House.

Do you have me on your ignore list? Cos I've been saying that (the bold part) since 2006.

Hawk was awful. Vikings first play from scrimmage, instead of attacking the TE immediately after he caught the ball, Hawk decided he would rather chase the TE 20 yards down field. Same fuck on a short pass to a RB later in the game; A hotshot ILB woulda tackled the runner for a loss. :x

Zool
11-23-2014, 09:10 PM
Do you have me on your ignore list? Cos I've been saying that (the bold part) since 2006.

Hawk was awful. Vikings first play from scrimmage, instead of attacking the TE immediately after he caught the ball, Hawk decided he would rather chase the TE 20 yards down field. Same fuck on a short pass to a RB later in the game; A hotshot ILB woulda tackled the runner for a loss. :x

Michael Huff

Joemailman
11-23-2014, 09:13 PM

We know. You always are.

woodbuck27
11-23-2014, 09:26 PM

" Probably some combination of Hyde, Ha-Ha and House "

Nope .... that won't work because there's not enough letters in those names to spell the word ... HELP !

George Cumby
11-23-2014, 09:36 PM
Michael Huff

:-)

gbgary
11-24-2014, 12:30 AM
vegas says Packers are 3 point favorites. if anything i'd say ne were the favorite by at least that.

mraynrand
11-24-2014, 07:09 AM
Revis on Cobb, double team Nelson. Packers better be comfortable throwing elsewhere. Rodgers and Adams need to get their rocky relationship figured out. I'd suggest some couples therapy with Dr. John Holmes, MD, PhD. Some trust exercises should be employed.

Fritz
11-24-2014, 07:55 AM

And if the Packers do win, you will point out that it's because the other team didn't play very well.

As Steven Tyler sang, it's the same old story, same old song and dance.

ThunderDan
11-24-2014, 07:59 AM
And if the Packers do win, you will point out that it's because the other team didn't play very well.

If the Packers come out on top it will be because NE lost the game and the Packers didn't win it. It's pathetic.

mraynrand
11-24-2014, 08:02 AM

how many times did you listen to that song?

mraynrand
11-24-2014, 08:03 AM
If the Packers come out on top it will be because NE lost the game and the Packers didn't win it. It's pathetic.

IT would be nice, for a change, if the Packers actually won a game instead of the other team losing it.

Fritz
11-24-2014, 08:03 AM
Enough to know some of the lines and sing "La-la-la-la" for the ones I was too drunk or high to understand. Or maybe Steven Tyler was too drunk or high to enunciate clearly. Or maybe both.

ThunderDan
11-24-2014, 08:04 AM
Last time the Packers played the Pats in Lambeau it was a freezing day in 2006. The Pats won 35-0. Favre got knocked out of the game and ARod broke his foot. It was my first Packers game at Lambeau field.

But in 2006 Favre had a 72.7 QB rating for the year and had 18 TDs verses 18 INTs. 2014 will be completely different with ARod who prizes not turning the ball over and has a QB rating of 120+.

mraynrand
11-24-2014, 08:06 AM

Yeah

http://www.independent.co.uk/incoming/article9879005.ece/alternates/w620/yeah.JPG

denverYooper
11-24-2014, 08:30 AM
IT would be nice, for a change, if the Packers actually won a game instead of the other team losing it.

Not going to happen.

It's nice to see the doom-and-gloomers show up for a week when the (potentially) best team in the league is coming to town and the probability of a loss is up.

pbmax
11-24-2014, 08:41 AM
Not going to happen.

It's nice to see the doom-and-gloomers show up for a week when the (potentially) best team in the league is coming to town and the probability of a loss is up.

On the other hand, its nice to be surrendered to eight times in a season. Maybe Bill and Tom will be feeling generous.

denverYooper
11-24-2014, 08:47 AM
FWIW, Pats have beaten the division leaders of the AFC North, West, and East, and the Lions. 3 of those were at home. They beat Indy in Indy.

They barely beat the Jets in Foxboro, 27-25.

Their 2 losses were on the road to >.500 teams. They lost to Miami in Miami and KC in KC.

denverYooper
11-24-2014, 08:52 AM
FWIW, Pats have beaten the division leaders of the AFC North, West, and East, and the Lions. 3 of those were at home. They beat Indy in Indy.

They barely beat the Jets in Foxboro, 27-25.

Their 2 losses were on the road to >.500 teams. They lost to Miami in Miami and KC in KC.

I'm excited for this game. It's a potential signature game for the Packers, and it's at home and not in the pesky primetime slot.

pbmax
11-24-2014, 09:27 AM
I am inexplicably confident about this game. I fully expect a win for the Packers.

I might need to start watching replays of that 2010 game and jab myself with a coat hanger, Colonel Flagg style, after every positive Packer moment to regain some perspective.

Bossman641
11-24-2014, 09:29 AM
On the other hand, its nice to be surrendered to eight times in a season. Maybe Bill and Tom will be feeling generous.

I hope teams keep letting us win all the way to the Lombardi trophy.

mraynrand
11-24-2014, 09:39 AM
I am inexplicably confident about this game. I fully expect a win for the Packers.

I might need to start watching replays of that 2010 game and jab myself with a coat hanger, Colonel Flagg style, after every positive Packer moment to regain some perspective.

I'd prefer you break your arm in the x-ray machine.

pbmax
11-24-2014, 09:52 AM
I'd prefer you break your arm in the x-ray machine.

Might need both.

"The 'wind' has broken his leg."

3irty1
11-24-2014, 10:01 AM

I am too but its not inexplicable. We're unbeatable at home. The problem is that this team is eventually going to have to beat a good team outside of Lambeau if they want to hoist the lombardi and there is no evidence that they can do that. Or even be competitive.

denverYooper
11-24-2014, 10:05 AM
I hope teams keep letting us win all the way to the Lombardi trophy.

Happened in 2010, it can happen again!

denverYooper
11-24-2014, 10:08 AM
I am too but its not inexplicable. We're unbeatable at home. The problem is that this team is eventually going to have to beat a good team outside of Lambeau if they want to hoist the lombardi and there is no evidence that they can do that. Or even be competitive.

The Dolphins are borderline good.

The road woes will continue, until they don't.

Smidgeon
11-24-2014, 10:17 AM
And if the Packers somehow miraculously win??? You will sweep it away like them lucking their way to a SB??

That's his modus operandi.

pbmax
11-24-2014, 10:23 AM
The Dolphins are borderline good.

The road woes will continue, until they don't.

They took another lead late against Denver in Denver. I think they qualify as good. At least they are now.

denverYooper
11-24-2014, 10:43 AM
They took another lead late against Denver in Denver. I think they qualify as good. At least they are now.

They've got all of the elements that usually give the packers problems -- fierce edge rush, physical corners, and a solid rushing offense led by a good-not-great QB. They're not as talented as the 9ers of the previous 3 years, but they're a tough out.

wist43
11-24-2014, 11:16 AM
I expect us to win most games... we have the QB, a very good receiving corp, a decent RB, a good (for the most part) offensive play caller in MM; add to that, we have decent talent on the defensive side of the ball.

For us, it always comes down to 2 factors, 1) dunderdummy, and 2) the OL and whether they can hold up.

Against good QB's, dunderdummy has admitted that he is afraid of them and he coaches that way, i.e. he plays soft and tries to limit them to 15 yd gains, as opposed to giving up 80 yd TD's. Accompanying that flawed approach, or rather to accomodate that flawed approach, he abandons any notion of playing the run - so we get gashed in the running game too.

I expect this game will look very much like the New Orleans game. Brees threw for 311 yds and 3 TDs, and they ran for 194 yds.

No sacks, no INTs.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's how Dom Capers approaches dealing with elite QB's.

Is this news to you guys?? Haven't you seen enough embarrassing performances by this idiot to expect that he's likely to do the exact same thing again, and again, and again??

As for the OL - we were able to run for a couple of first downs at the end of the Viking game, but make no mistake, the Vikings whipped our OL thoroughly yesterday. We have only 3 running plays, and the overall philosophy is very, very passive. Bacteria is a liability, and other than Linsley, who is proving to be a pretty good player, none of them can run block to save their lives.

It's the nature of our team - and has been for years.

wist43
11-24-2014, 11:20 AM
That's his modus operandi.

You guys need to take the rose colored glasses off and look at the MO of dunderdummy... you guys are such homers, lol ;)

If we had a competent DC, I'd be saying we should win the SB; but, as it is dunderdummy is such a liability that we'll likely get embarrassed in the playoffs again.

Cheesehead Craig
11-24-2014, 11:33 AM
As for the OL - we were able to run for a couple of first downs at the end of the Viking game, but make no mistake, the Vikings whipped our OL thoroughly yesterday.

There was no whipping of our OL by the Vikes yesterday. The pass protection was quite good and you can dismiss the run blocking all you want, but Lacy averaged 5 ypc.

ThunderDan
11-24-2014, 11:40 AM
As for the OL - we were able to run for a couple of first downs at the end of the Viking game, but make no mistake, the Vikings whipped our OL thoroughly yesterday. We have only 3 running plays, and the overall philosophy is very, very passive. Bacteria is a liability, and other than Linsley, who is proving to be a pretty good player, none of them can run block to save their lives.

It's the nature of our team - and has been for years.

Lacy - 25 for 125 rushing, 1 TD long of 16

You don't even know when to lay off when you should. The Packer run game was excellent yesterday.

We had more first downs by rushing than we did passing yesterday.

Bossman641
11-24-2014, 11:46 AM
Lacy - 25 for 125 rushing, 1 TD long of 16

You don't even know when to lay off when you should. The Packer run game was excellent yesterday.

We had more first downs by rushing than we did passing yesterday.

Not to mention Rodgers was sacked once and hit only 1 other time.
I think Bak is struggling a little bit but it's tough to complain about the OL when they've only given up 2 sacks total the past 2 weeks.
Philly has 2nd most sacks on year, Minn is T4

MadScientist
11-24-2014, 11:59 AM
Looking at the Det-NE game a little closer, a few things popped out:

1) Detroit actually did a decent job moving the ball in the first half, when the game was still in doubt. Their drives stalled.
2) NE was even more pass heavy than the final statistics indicate, 10 of their 20 runs were in the 4th quarter.
3) Detroit did not get any sacks. I can't find information on hurries or QB hits to tell what sort of pressure Brady was under.

mraynrand
11-24-2014, 12:41 PM

ya, but how good is Denver getting thrashed by a losing Rams team? :razz:

mraynrand
11-24-2014, 12:43 PM
but make no mistake, the Vikings whipped our OL thoroughly yesterday.....

If we had a competent DC, I'd be saying we should win the SB; but, as it is dunderdummy is such a liability that we'll likely get embarrassed in the playoffs again.

I hate it when the DC ruins the offensive line, too. You'd think Capers could confine his disasters to his side of the team!

pbmax
11-24-2014, 12:44 PM
ya, but how good is Denver getting thrashed by a losing Rams team? :razz:

Have only seen one Rams game. Rapapport thinks they are playoff caliber if they had gone back to a healthy Shaun Hill earlier. Can't say for certain. What is certain is that the Broncos can be had far more easily than early season suggested.

mraynrand
11-24-2014, 12:47 PM
^^^ I was joking. Denver was beat all to hell in that Rams game. And for the record, I love that Shaun Hill guy. That guy is a QB rock. He gets everything out of the skills he was given. Kinda like Hoyer, but with fewer bad throws.

mraynrand
11-24-2014, 12:54 PM
One sure sign the Packers are beating NE: If the announcers say "Rodgers has completions to 9 different receivers today!"

pbmax
11-24-2014, 12:56 PM
I hate it when the DC ruins the offensive line, too. You'd think Capers could confine his disasters to his side of the team!

Its rare you get 125 rush yards at 5 ypc and allow 1 sack and win. Has to be the first time in history. wist has a nose for statistical news.

3irty1
11-24-2014, 01:05 PM

Its all that lulling them into a false sense of security while facing his soft DL in practice.

Little known Capers facts:
1) Capers favorite food is Puppy meat.
2) In the offseason Capers hobby is to buy candy factories just to shut them down
3) Its theorized that Capers's hair-spray-paint poisoned all the dolphins in Lake Michigan
4) Capers has a large tattoo on his chest of a pentagram with a homosexual sex position depicted at each vertex
5) During the predraft evaluations of front 7 players, anyone who beats Capers at arm wrestling is removed from the draft board.

Freak Out
11-24-2014, 01:07 PM
Its all that lulling them into a false sense of security while facing his soft DL in practice.

2) In the offseason Capers hobby is to buy candy factories just to shut them down
3) Its theorized that Capers's hair-spray-paint poisoned all the dolphins in Lake Michigan
4) Capers has a large tattoo on his chest of a pentagram with a homosexual sex position depicted at each vertex
5) During the predraft evaluations of front 7 players, anyone who beats Capers at arm wrestling is removed from the draft board.

Ha ha!

call_me_ishmael
11-24-2014, 02:34 PM

LOL!!!

pbmax
11-24-2014, 05:07 PM
McCarthy's Monday Afternoon Disinformation Campaign

1. Belichick is listening and watching.
2. When you can lay eyes directly on him, assume he is recording elsewhere.
3. All helicopters and planes should be treated as potential security leaks
4. Ask all visitors to Lambeau a security question only they and not Belichick would know (eg. What are Swift and Perry feuding about (ie. not Doug Swift and Michael Dean Perry)? What does it mean to throw shade (ie. not Shady McCoy)? Where is Maroon 5 (not last 5 yards of endzone)?
5. The cashier at Buger King is a plant.

Packer Report @PackerReport · 21m 21 minutes ago
McCarthy: Normal workweek with the Patriots. Assistants did some preliminary game-planning late last week, like always.

MM on Thanksgiving: Everything moved up for Thursday morning. Everyone home by 1 p.m.

Packer Report @PackerReport · 19m 19 minutes ago
MM on Lacy being ill: Aware before the game. "Fighting through a GI illness." Still monitoring.

Packer Report @PackerReport · 18m 18 minutes ago
MM on value of close win: Another experience to draw from. Need that going into playoffs.

Packer Report @PackerReport · 17m 17 minutes ago
MM: New England's a great football team. We're not going to make a bunch of changes. We like the football that we are.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 44m44 minutes ago
McCarthy: "We're not going to get too far away from the yellow pad or too far away from the video screen."

Packer Report @PackerReport · 16m 16 minutes ago
MM on GB's offense: Whether it comes through the run or the pass is irrelevant.

Packer Report @PackerReport · 15m 15 minutes ago
Gronkowski huge challenge. Big catch radius, faster than people think. "Definitely a difference-maker."

Packer Report @PackerReport · 13m 13 minutes ago
McCarthy thought Matthews came out of the OK with groin injury.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 37m37 minutes ago
McCarthy on if Capers' exp in NWE helps: Have talked, "but nothing I'm relying on to put together a game plan for Sunday."

Packer Report @PackerReport · 9m 9 minutes ago
MM on the 2010 game: Not worth watching too much of the film because of different personnel. (Flynn at QB for GB, obviously)

Packer Report @PackerReport · 8m 8 minutes ago
And that's all from McCarthy and the start of Patriots Week.

Pugger
11-24-2014, 06:05 PM
vegas says Packers are 3 point favorites. if anything i'd say ne were the favorite by at least that.

The home team usually sets 3 points just for being at home so it is truly a pick 'em.

Pugger
11-24-2014, 06:08 PM

We could if we get HFA throughout.

wist43
11-24-2014, 06:51 PM

#'s 3 and 5?? Undoubtedly true.

Not sure about the others, although I suspect Capers does molest puppies ;)

Maxie the Taxi
11-24-2014, 06:55 PM
IMO the reported spread is about right. Very close game. If the game were at Foxboro, I'd say NE.

Look at the NE depth chart and compare to the Packers.

On offense the only NE guy I'd rather have would be Gronk.

On defense, I'd take the NE guys up the middle...Wilfork and Hightower. Maybe Jamie Collins, he's pretty impressive. Otherwise, our guys are just as good, even considering Revis and Browner.

Both teams should be up for the game. Green Bay will play with emotion; NE will be supremely confident.

Please, Stubby, no onsides kicks. No going for it on 4th down from your own territory in the 1st qtr. No challenges until the end of the game. Take what they give you and FIELD POSITION, FIELD POSITION, FIELD POSITION!

Oh, and Stubby, another 25 carries for Lacy.

deake
11-24-2014, 06:55 PM
Looking at the Det-NE game a little closer, a few things popped out:

1) Detroit actually did a decent job moving the ball in the first half, when the game was still in doubt. Their drives stalled.
2) NE was even more pass heavy than the final statistics indicate, 10 of their 20 runs were in the 4th quarter.
3) Detroit did not get any sacks. I can't find information on hurries or QB hits to tell what sort of pressure Brady was under.

Watching the NFL rewind most of Brady's passes were 10 yds or less, just got the ball and threw it, over and over again. Hard to get any pressure.

Striker
11-24-2014, 07:05 PM
Key to the Game
-Tackle the OL that you squib kick to.

pbmax
11-24-2014, 07:23 PM
Key to the Game
-Tackle the OL that you squib kick to.

Good recall. You get a gold star. Please send email to Slocum and Zook.

denverYooper
11-24-2014, 07:55 PM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 1m1 minute ago
#Packers' points vs. number of plays is an anomaly. #Patriots have #NFL-high 357 points on 757 plays. Packers with 354 points on 663 plays.

mraynrand
11-24-2014, 08:02 PM
MM on Lacy being ill: Aware before the game. "Fighting through a GI illness." Still monitoring.

hopefully not too closely.

pbmax
11-24-2014, 09:15 PM

hopefully not too closely.

Field cameras.

woodbuck27
11-24-2014, 09:21 PM

3 points....for home field....so the Pack and Pats are considered equal.

Tyrion Lannister
11-25-2014, 04:03 AM
Please, Stubby, no onsides kicks. No going for it on 4th down from your own territory in the 1st qtr. No challenges until the end of the game. Take what they give you and FIELD POSITION, FIELD POSITION, FIELD POSITION!

Playing conservatively against a good/great team like the Patriots is simply asking for a loss.

The Packers need to be aggressive in all THREE dimensions!

denverYooper
11-25-2014, 08:58 AM
Playing conservatively against a good/great team like the Patriots is simply asking for a loss.

I don't know... that's how the Pats beat people.

Fritz
11-25-2014, 10:46 AM
McCarthy's Monday Afternoon Disinformation Campaign

1. Belichick is listening and watching.
2. When you can lay eyes directly on him, assume he is recording elsewhere.
3. All helicopters and planes should be treated as potential security leaks
4. Ask all visitors to Lambeau a security question only they and not Belichick would know (eg. What are Swift and Perry feuding about (ie. not Doug Swift and Michael Dean Perry)? What does it mean to throw shade (ie. not Shady McCoy)? Where is Maroon 5 (not last 5 yards of endzone)?
5. The cashier at Buger King is a plant.

McCarthy: Normal workweek with the Patriots. Assistants did some preliminary game-planning late last week, like always.

MM on Thanksgiving: Everything moved up for Thursday morning. Everyone home by 1 p.m.

Packer Report @PackerReport · 18m 18 minutes ago
MM on value of close win: Another experience to draw from. Need that going into playoffs.

Packer Report @PackerReport · 17m 17 minutes ago
MM: New England's a great football team. We're not going to make a bunch of changes. We like the football that we are.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 44m44 minutes ago
McCarthy: "We're not going to get too far away from the yellow pad or too far away from the video screen."

Packer Report @PackerReport · 16m 16 minutes ago
MM on GB's offense: Whether it comes through the run or the pass is irrelevant.

Packer Report @PackerReport · 15m 15 minutes ago
Gronkowski huge challenge. Big catch radius, faster than people think. "Definitely a difference-maker."

Packer Report @PackerReport · 13m 13 minutes ago
McCarthy thought Matthews came out of the OK with groin injury.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 37m37 minutes ago
McCarthy on if Capers' exp in NWE helps: Have talked, "but nothing I'm relying on to put together a game plan for Sunday."

Packer Report @PackerReport · 9m 9 minutes ago
MM on the 2010 game: Not worth watching too much of the film because of different personnel. (Flynn at QB for GB, obviously)

Packer Report @PackerReport · 8m 8 minutes ago
And that's all from McCarthy and the start of Patriots Week.

The bolded piece above - I can't remember if that is a McCarthy theme that is commonly sounded, or if it's something I remember hearing a lot in 2010 and not much since.

Bossman641
11-25-2014, 10:57 AM
So what game plan are we thinking the Patriots are going to come with? Their game plans vary as much as any team in the league.

Are they going to go with the power run like they did against Indy? Or more of a spread it out and try to get it to Gronk on a LB?

Fritz
11-25-2014, 11:12 AM
So what game plan are we thinking the Patriots are going to come with? Their game plans vary as much as any team in the league.

Are they going to go with the power run like they did against Indy? Or more of a spread it out and try to get it to Gronk on a LB?

I would imagine you'd run on one of the league's worst run defenses. Once they're softened up, you bomb them with Gronk and friends.

pbmax
11-25-2014, 11:15 AM
They are going to run until the Packers stop it. They will want to avoid the sub defense so they can pass effectively as well.

Maxie the Taxi
11-25-2014, 12:27 PM

Since when is NOT kicking onsides playing conservatively? Or punting from your own territory on 4th down? Or taking what they give you?

I'd like to see us be opportunistic rather than aggressive. You have the opportunity to throw downfield, take it. Don't force it. You have an opportunity fake a field goal or punt, do it. Don't do it just to do it.

No QB no matter how good likes to play with his back at his own end zone. Field position will help our defense more than anything.

wist43
11-25-2014, 01:45 PM
They are going to run until the Packers stop it. They will want to avoid the sub defense so they can pass effectively as well.

Like dunderdummy has any intention whatsoever of covering anybody??

Whether we are in base, nickel, or dime... dunderdummy will let receivers run wide open all over the field - it's what he does.

Did you see that easy 16 yd pitch and catch from Bridgewater to Rudolph?? Dunderdummy was playing man on the WR's and zone underneath. Rudolph was given a free release and simply ran an out pattern to the space vacated by the WR who carried Shields with him downfield - the defender playing zone underneath stayed in his zone, and Rudolph caught the ball without a single Packer with 10 yds of him - that's the brilliance of dunderdummy.

That's Pop Warner stuff - yet dunderdummy does crap like that all the time.

------------------------------------------------------------------

The Pats won't afford us the same courtesy - they'll cover everyone short tight and make Rodgers hold the ball.

Talentwise - I think we can win this game; coaching on the other hand... we're way outclassed.

wist43
11-25-2014, 01:48 PM

The answer to your question is yes.

They'll have their way with dunderdummy - complete mismatch in terms of coaching.

I wish I owned every Patriot in fanstasy this week.

Bossman641
11-25-2014, 02:04 PM
Did you see that easy 16 yd pitch and catch from Bridgewater to Rudolph?? Dunderdummy was playing man on the WR's and zone underneath. Rudolph was given a free release and simply ran an out pattern to the space vacated by the WR who carried Shields with him downfield - the defender playing zone underneath stayed in his zone, and Rudolph caught the ball without a single Packer with 10 yds of him - that's the brilliance of dunderdummy.

Are you talking about the first play of the game where Rudolph ran an out to the left? That was man across the board. Hawk's coverage was awful though, which explains why Capers went to Jones.

wist43
11-25-2014, 02:18 PM
Are you talking about the first play of the game where Rudolph ran an out to the left? That was man across the board. Hawk's coverage was awful though, which explains why Capers went to Jones.

No, it was late in the game... you could see the WR run the clear out, and nobody was assigned to cover outside the hash. Rudolph could have pitched a tent and put up neon signs, and no Packer was going to give him a second thought b/c dunderdummy didn't account for that patch of turf at all.

The mess at ILB is almost entirely on TT, although I'm sure dunderdummy and MM signed off and said we were okay there. Still, dunderdummy does so many things that are unsound, that it compounds the mess we have at ILB.

mraynrand
11-25-2014, 02:22 PM
I would be totally fine if I never saw Hawk or Jones on the field again - except maybe at alumni day.

pbmax
11-25-2014, 03:00 PM
No, it was late in the game... you could see the WR run the clear out, and nobody was assigned to cover outside the hash. Rudolph could have pitched a tent and put up neon signs, and no Packer was going to give him a second thought b/c dunderdummy didn't account for that patch of turf at all.

So not a broken coverage. Not a player error. He leaves zones in his zone defense unoccupied? This is your contention?

mraynrand
11-25-2014, 03:04 PM
So not a broken coverage. Not a player error. He leaves zones in his zone defense unoccupied? This is your contention?

It's a Packer Horror Story! Starring Anthony Michael Hall as AJ Hawk (pretty apt casting, I'd say)

http://blog.maxdome.de/wp-content/uploads/Cover_dead_zone.jpg

Bossman641
11-25-2014, 04:02 PM

The mess at ILB is almost entirely on TT, although I'm sure dunderdummy and MM signed off and said we were okay there. Still, dunderdummy does so many things that are unsound, that it compounds the mess we have at ILB.

I read a lot of McGinn's stuff and one thing he has bee harping on all year is that the Packers were going to take Shazier or Mosley if they were available. I know he writes some dumb articles but he is normally pretty well connected with the draft. I obviously can't prove it, but my sense from him is that the Packers favored those players over HHCD.

wist43
11-25-2014, 08:15 PM
I read a lot of McGinn's stuff and one thing he has bee harping on all year is that the Packers were going to take Shazier or Mosley if they were available. I know he writes some dumb articles but he is normally pretty well connected with the draft. I obviously can't prove it, but my sense from him is that the Packers favored those players over HHCD.

Well that's where signing a stop-gap vet to fill a hole would serve the organization well... signing Peppers was a shot in the arm, but we are still impossibly feeble up the middle. We are literally dead at ILB - makes it tough to contend for a title when you have such a huge and glaring weakness right in the middle of your defense.

If one of those LB's were there at our pick, and we didn't fill the S spot - then go out and find a veteran S near the end of his career, but still has a little tread left on the tires, and let's make a run at a title; same thing would apply since we got the S - go out and get a competent ILB. Ted simply doesn't think that way.

If we had a half-ass competent DC, we might-could cover up for some of that mess in the middle, but he actually exacerbates it by scheming to ensure that those guys are on the field 24/7 - it's a huge problem that could be schemed around to some extent, but of course dunderdummy doesn't scheme around it, he schemes right into it, and the results are obviously very dismal.

Bretsky
11-25-2014, 08:53 PM
If you are Hoody Genius don't you stick Revis on Jordy all day long. Cobb still doesn't naturally get open. Adams will be important this game. If Revis shadows Nelson this might be a game where we REALLY miss having a TE who is worth a shit.

woodbuck27
11-25-2014, 11:08 PM

I somehow get to see the New England Patriots play a lot.

This could be a real dog fight or the Pat's might blow us out. The Packers have to be really up for this home game on both sides of the ball.

Aaron Rodgers doesn't take a back seat to Tom Brady in the friendly confines of Lambeau Field. Yet Aaron Rodgers has to challenge Darrell Revis (recall the Seahawks and R. Sherman?) and have confidence in whatever WR is covered by him (Jordy Nelson).

A key to a win is for the Packer pass rush to be effective to win the battle of the clock and rest our 'D'. The defense cannot allow Tom Brady to get into any rhythm. If that's the case we'll be forced to win in a shoot out.

WR's Brandon LaFell, Julian Edelman and Danny Amendola and watch out for Tim Wright are very solid. Julian Edelman can be scary. All of their WR's are quick and elusive.

We are in a certain disadvantage at the TE position. Whoever has to cover Gronk has to work his tail off.

I give our rushing game a slight edge as long as Eddie Lacy is good to go.

The New England 'D' is solid all over. I give their 'D' the edge.

I'll add this:

Rodgers: Packers-Patriots Isn't Me Against Tom Brady

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11938969&ex_cid=espnapi_public

woodbuck27
11-25-2014, 11:22 PM

Miami is a decent team with a 6-5 record.

What defines a team as good to a great extent relies on the quality of that teams QB.

Ryan Tannehill has had four games this season with a QBR > 80. He's also had four games with a QBR < 30.

Harlan Huckleby
11-25-2014, 11:29 PM
This should be a real dog fight but in the end our Packers will celebrate victory. :-)

this sounds like a fortune cookie

Freak Out
11-26-2014, 12:08 AM
If you are Hoody Genius don't you stick Revis on Jordy all day long. Cobb still doesn't naturally get open. Adams will be important this game. If Revis shadows Nelson this might be a game where we REALLY miss having a TE who is worth a shit.

Let them single cover JN....they will pay.

woodbuck27
11-26-2014, 12:23 AM
this sounds like a fortune cookie

I substituted a short editorial for the fortune cookie.

pbmax
11-26-2014, 08:02 AM

He ha been putting Revis on the 2nd best receiver and leaving him on an island. Than he doubles the best guy. You might single up Cobb at the risk of your own sanity if you don't get pressure and Cobb shakes free late.

The argument I see against that is in single coverage, Nelson is going to get a step deep and Rodgers will throw the ball. Do you want to take that risk? On the road my guess is they do not.

denverYooper
11-26-2014, 08:39 AM
He ha been putting Revis on the 2nd best receiver and leaving him on an island. Than he doubles the best guy. You might single up Cobb at the risk of your own sanity if you don't get pressure and Cobb shakes free late.

The argument I see against that is in single coverage, Nelson is going to get a step deep and Rodgers will throw the ball. Do you want to take that risk? O the road my guess is they do not.

Agree. Revis is still a very good CB but no longer the "shutdown the other team's #1 guy" CB

denverYooper
11-26-2014, 08:47 AM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 2m2 minutes ago
Asked belichick about Rodgers and Brady. Said they like to think they are good golfers

Bossman641
11-26-2014, 08:52 AM

The argument I see against that is in single coverage, Nelson is going to get a step deep and Rodgers will throw the ball. Do you want to take that risk? On the road my guess is they do not.

I think he will put Revis on Cobb and then have Browner press Nelson with safety help over the top. Browner can play on the LOS but once a WR gets a step on him it's over.

vince
11-26-2014, 09:18 AM
Not sure either D will fully slow down either O. Instant classic - 38-35 Pack

Maxie the Taxi
11-26-2014, 09:38 AM
I saw where Revis was quoted as saying this NE secondary is the best he's ever played on. Does anyone know anything about what other secondary's he's played on and whether they were any good (other than him)?

Smidgeon
11-26-2014, 10:02 AM
I saw where Revis was quoted as saying this NE secondary is the best he's ever played on. Does anyone know anything about what other secondary's he's played on and whether they were any good (other than him)?

Rodgers-Cromartie (I think) with the Jets. Then no one worth noting on the Bucs. Then NE. So it isn't really that big of a statement.

denverYooper
11-26-2014, 10:14 AM
Rodgers-Cromartie (I think) with the Jets. Then no one worth noting on the Bucs. Then NE. So it isn't really that big of a statement.

That, and older players on winning teams are fond of saying "X is the best bunch of guys I've played with"

wist43
11-26-2014, 11:28 AM
Not sure either D will fully slow down either O. Instant classic - 38-35 Pack

I'm sure our D won't be able to slow them down - but our offense is very much containable. Against good defenses, Rodgers is reduced to dinking and dunking and we usually can't generate much of running game.

The Vikings just held us to 24 pts... if we score 24 against the Pats, we'll get blown out.

Bossman641
11-26-2014, 11:41 AM
What's your prediction Wist?

woodbuck27
11-26-2014, 11:48 AM
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2014113010/2014/REG13/patriots@packers#menu=gameinfo&tab=analyze

** The offensive and Defensive STAT's seem to lend an edge to New England with the exception and concern for our weakness on the run defense.

** Today the bookies have the game at Packers -3. Translation... the Packers at Lambeau Field.

** When I look at what NE did in Indy two weeks ago or a 42-20 Pat's win. Then factor in the similarity between Indy and Green Bay on both sides of the ball with one rather large exception. That the Packers 'D' is weak against the run (30th) 136.7 Yards/game; where Indy is ranked (17th) and allows an average of 110.7 Yards/game. New England's 'D' relinquished 108.2 yards/game (14th).

Add in my belief that Bill Belichick has the edge as a Head Coach over Mike McCarthy. That this may be need to win game for the Packers (if Detroit defeats Chicago on Thanksgiving Day) >>> Added pressure on Mike McCarthy. That MM may get over involved in the game rather that just allow the no huddle offense to function.

This all adds up to "a something stinks in Denmark" situation.

woodbuck27
11-26-2014, 11:50 AM

Look at New England @ Indy two weeks ago.

wist43
11-26-2014, 12:09 PM

41-31 Pats

That could change depending on weather.

I expect dunderdummy to come out and be dunderdummy - if he comes out and plays scared like he usually does against elite QB's, I think that will be pretty close to the score.

If dunderdummy comes out and plays a 3-3, and mixes the looks he gives up front, plays Matthews in the middle, plays zone short, doubles Gronk to take him out of the game, and keeps Brad Jones out of the game - then I think we can win the game; but those are huge "IF's", and not likely to happen. We know what dunderdummy's track record is.

Dunderdummy is a wildcard from week to week. After the bye he came out and played it like he should, i.e. playing a lot of 3-3, more base, and more zone. Then the last couple of weeks he's reverting back to the mess he prefers - as I've always said, you can't trust the guy from week to week.

We have no identity on defense, and we never will as long as dunderdummy is our DC. Unfortunately what identity we do have is bad - very bad. Embarrassing playoff blowouts, record setting performances against us, etc...

It all depends on dunderdummy.

Bossman641
11-26-2014, 01:14 PM
Is that a close 41-31? Or a 41-31 where the Packers score late to make it look respectable.

You talk as if the Packers have absolutely no chance at winning, so I'm surprised your score is as close as it is.

Pugger
11-26-2014, 01:25 PM

I'm sure he is certain we're gonna get blown out.

Pugger
11-26-2014, 01:27 PM
Is that a close 41-31? Or a 41-31 where the Packers score late to make it look respectable.

You talk as if the Packers have absolutely no chance at winning, so I'm surprised your score is as close as it is.

Yes, there is no chance we can score 31 against that juggernaut of the defense in NE.

pbmax
11-26-2014, 01:34 PM
Remember to make all the predictions official in the "Official Patriots vs. Packers Predictions Thread" so I can mock (or be mocked by) all you Patriots fans. :lol:

wist43
11-26-2014, 02:02 PM
I'm sure he is certain we're gonna get blown out.

If Capers plays the 2-4 the whole game, and plays scared?? Yeah, we will get blown out...

If he plays more 3-3, plays matchup zone underneath, and schemes to take Gronk away?? We have a chance...

Dunderdummy's track record is that he will play 2-4 and coach scared - hence, Brady will likely have a big day, Gronk will have a big day; and on offense we'll be stopped enough to give them the margin of victory.

This game is like just about every other game - it always comes down to dunderdummy.

wist43
11-26-2014, 02:04 PM

I'm assuming a decent weather day... haven't looked at any forecasts. It's supposed to be cold here for a while, but I'm north of Green Bay.

Good weather?? 41-31.

Once we get a bead on the weather, I may have to rethink that... but a decent weather game is likely 41-31 Pats.

And yes, I"m assuming a late Packer TD to make it semi-respectable... I simply don't think Capers is any match for a good offense.

pbmax
11-26-2014, 02:38 PM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 29m29 minutes ago
Bostick limited, Bush DNP, Lang DNP, Perry DNP, Sitton limited. #Packers injury report.

Packer Report @PackerReport · 29m 29 minutes ago
Perry is getting better, MM says. Went through rehab phase. See how he is tomorrow. Lang "further ahead" than in past.

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 42m42 minutes ago
Told Belichick said "both wear No. 12" when asked about Rodgers/Brady, McCarthy says, "I guess to add to it, they're both from California."

Packer Report @PackerReport · 28m 28 minutes ago
MM on Brady: Excellent quarterback. Can stress defenses with command at line of scrimmage, cadence, tempo, awareness.

Packer Report @PackerReport · 28m 28 minutes ago
MM on key to recovering from slow starts: One game at time. Learning from positive/negative moments.

Packer Report @PackerReport · 26m 26 minutes ago
MM: There's real drama and made-up drama. Focus on real drama, which is playing Patriots.

Packer Report @PackerReport · 26m 26 minutes ago
MM on his OL: Playing well. Finished game strong. Pass protection has been very good.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 45m45 minutes ago
McCarthy on #Packers QB Aaron Rodgers: He's in a really good groove right now.

Packer Report @PackerReport · 25m 25 minutes ago
MM on NE's corners: We're going to run our concepts.

Packer Report @PackerReport · 24m 24 minutes ago
MM: Kraft and Belichick have set standard of sustained success. "At end of day, we're focused on" ninth victory.

pbmax
11-26-2014, 02:51 PM
At Football Outsiders: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2014/week-12-dvoa-ratings

Packers O is 2nd, D is 12th, Special Teams are 15th

New Eng O is 4th, D is 10th, Special Teams are 3rd

Overall NE is 2nd and GB is 3rd.

woodbuck27
11-26-2014, 08:05 PM
At Football Outsiders: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2014/week-12-dvoa-ratings

Looking closer ... i.e. Individual performance:

QB ... Aaron Rodgers #2 and Tom Brady #4.

RB ... Eddie Lacy #11 and for NE no RB ranked in the Top 32.

WR ... Randall Cobb Ranked #1 and Jordy Nelson is Ranked #3.

WR ... NE's Brandon LaFell is Ranked #19. Julian Edelman is Ranked #41. Both are athletic and run good routes; LaFell is strong.

TE ... NE's Rob Gronkowski is Ranked #1. GB's Andrew Quarless is Ranked #17.

The more oriented Team Components:

Offensive Line:

NE is Ranked #4 and Green Bay #14.

Defensive Line:

NE is Ranked #24 and Green Bay #27.

Offensive Drive Stat's:

Green Bay is Ranked #3 and NE #8.

Defensive Drive Stat's:

Yards/Drive ... NE is Ranked #17 and Pts/Drive @ #8.

Yards/Drive ... Green Bay is Ranked #29 and Pts/Drive #18.

Pace Stat's ie TOP:

NE is Ranked #3 and Green Bay #20.

SNAP Counts:

NE is Ranked #3 and Green Bay @ #20.

All that will matter come Sunday Game Day is who's the BEST TEAM on that day. :-)

ptisme
11-26-2014, 09:37 PM
Blitz and make Brady uncomfortable. Even if it means giving up a big one. On offense go four wides and make them go "dime"

George Cumby
11-26-2014, 09:45 PM

Fire Slocum!

Pugger
11-27-2014, 12:15 AM
Seeing we have no chance with our shitty defense I say we should forfeit the game and wait for Atlanta so we can beat up on another lousy team instead.

Bretsky
11-27-2014, 01:45 AM
Seeing we have no chance with our shitty defense I say we should forfeit the game and wait for Atlanta so we can beat up on another lousy team instead.

and if we do beat NE lets give Dom all of the credit in the world for finding a way to stop an offense which should score an infinite amount of points on us. It's not like he hasn't made any adjustments that have been great for the team after the bye.....has he ??? I think he's a very average defensive coordinator. It's not like he's Vanilla Bob.

It would be an interesting poll to see if most in here view Dom as

Domgenius
Domderdummy
Or just an average DC in here.

POLLMAKERS..................can you set this puppy up ?????????????????//

pbmax
11-27-2014, 08:50 AM
Fire Slocum!

I think that's actually the second best mark in his career. :D

pbmax
11-27-2014, 08:55 AM
and if we do beat NE lets give Dom all of the credit in the world for finding a way to stop an offense which should score an infinite amount of points on us. It's not like he hasn't made any adjustments that have been great for the team after the bye.....has he ??? I think he's a very average defensive coordinator. It's not like he's Vanilla Bob.

It would be an interesting poll to see if most in here view Dom as

Domgenius
Domderdummy
Or just an average DC in here.

POLLMAKERS..................can you set this puppy up ?????????????????//

You are a pollmaker.

Pollster, heal thyself.

The Shadow
11-27-2014, 10:18 AM
Just a thought on defending the Pats : I assume the Pack will be in a lot of nickel & dime for this game - and Gronkowski seems to be the key. Therefore, I would put a lot of responsibility on Williams & Shields - along with Ha Ha & either Hayward or Burnett- to handle the outside receivers & slot. I'd line up Hyde directly across from Gronk on the line of scrimmage with instructions to bump him right away, then peel back. I would station Burnett or Hayward 3 yards behind Hyde at the snap. His job would be to re-bump Gronk, still within the magic 5 yards. Hyde would now be right back in the area for coverage.
If the D Line can generate any kind of pressure, Brady then must rely on options other than Gronk - which would work more to the Pack's favor.
And yes - if we can't stop the run - or cover the other receivers - all will be for naught.

Guiness
11-27-2014, 09:12 PM
Interested to see what Blount brings - if he can stay out of Bellicheck's doghouse that long.

pbmax
11-27-2014, 10:04 PM
Perry and Bush still out. Only Saturday practice left to prove their available. Davante Adams hurt his heel in practice but continued to go.

Sitton and Lang have both practiced. By process of elimination, Bostick has practiced.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/neal-elliott-next-men-up-on-packers-defense-b99398502z1-284115081.html#packers

woodbuck27
11-28-2014, 06:42 AM
Looking closer ... i.e. Individual performance:

QB ... Aaron Rodgers #2 and Tom Brady #4.

RB ... Eddie Lacy #11 and for NE no RB ranked in the Top 32.

WR ... Randall Cobb Ranked #1 and Jordy Nelson is Ranked #3.

WR ... NE's Brandon LaFell is Ranked #19. Julian Edelman is Ranked #41. Both are athletic and run good routes; LaFell is strong.

TE ... NE's Rob Gronkowski is Ranked #1. GB's Andrew Quarless is Ranked #17.

The more oriented Team Components:

Offensive Line:

NE is Ranked #4 and Green Bay #14.

Defensive Line:

NE is Ranked #24 and Green Bay #27.

Offensive Drive Stat's:

Green Bay is Ranked #3 and NE #8.

Defensive Drive Stat's:

Yards/Drive ... NE is Ranked #17 and Pts/Drive @ #8.

Yards/Drive ... Green Bay is Ranked #29 and Pts/Drive #18.

Pace Stat's ie TOP:

NE is Ranked #3 and Green Bay #20.

SNAP Counts:

NE is Ranked #3 and Green Bay @ #20.

All that will matter come Sunday Game Day is who's the BEST TEAM on that day. :-)

These guys have to come up big:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B3Z7RFUCIAAEMiL.jpg

We need to establish the run to set up the passing game. We need to win this matchup:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B3fmOVzCcAEuAra.jpg

GO PACKERS ! GO PACK GO !

pbmax
11-28-2014, 09:34 AM
Does it make anyone feel better about the Packers because the Packers O line is apparently several steps better (even when injured) that the Dallas Cowboys O line?

Because it should.

Normally being better than Dallas is no great shakes. But everyone who was anyone thought their O line was noteworthy. And the Eagles just abused it.

Two weeks after the Packers ate their lunch. Eagles were away for both games.

smuggler
11-28-2014, 11:01 AM
I don't know what was up with the Dallas line in that game. I feel like that is more of the outlier than the norm, so don't get too excited.

mraynrand
11-28-2014, 11:01 AM
Does it make anyone feel better about the Packers because the Packers O line is apparently several steps better (even when injured) that the Dallas Cowboys O line?

Because it should.

Normally being better than Dallas is no great shakes. But everyone who was anyone thought their O line was noteworthy. And the Eagles just abused it.

Two weeks after the Packers ate their lunch. Eagles were away for both games.

Ultimately, it's in the trenches. Just look at what's happened to SF without a great O-line and loss of players in their defensive front 7.

As bizarre as it might seem for the haters, Packers desperately need Perry back and healthy.

Harlan Huckleby
11-28-2014, 11:26 AM
Ultimately, it's in the trenches.

Yep, blocking and tackling. Blocking and tackling.

wist43
11-28-2014, 11:48 AM
I don't know what was up with the Dallas line in that game. I feel like that is more of the outlier than the norm, so don't get too excited.

I agree... the Cowboys OL just had a bad game. There is no comparison between the Dallas OL and ours... they are lightyears better.

wist43
11-28-2014, 11:56 AM
Ultimately, it's in the trenches. Just look at what's happened to SF without a great O-line and loss of players in their defensive front 7.

As bizarre as it might seem for the haters, Packers desperately need Perry back and healthy.

I've always thought Perry could be a player - his problem has been in how he's been used since he's been here, i.e. dunderdummy.

Now this year he is finally be used with his hand in the dirt, and all of a sudden he's showing flashes of being player?? Go figure...

If Perry does indeed miss this game, I think that will probably seal our fate. If Perry is out, dunderdummy will almost certainly run very little or no 3-3, and will be thrilled to run 2-4 the whole game. Brady will devour the 2-4, and dunderdummy will be thrilled to hold the Patriots to gains of 15 yds/play.

Dunderdummy has stated openly how much of a pussy he is, i.e. that elite QB's must not be challenged in any way. He will be content to sit back and let Brady pick us apart all day long... we've seen this movie many times.

Pugger
11-28-2014, 12:49 PM

Yes, it is no coincidence that our D improved with Perry as an OLB and Clay inside.

Pugger
11-28-2014, 12:51 PM
I agree... the Cowboys OL just had a bad game. There is no comparison between the Dallas OL and ours... they are lightyears better.

Really???

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=TM&offensiveStatisticCategory=OFFENSIVE_LINE&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&season=2014&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=false&Submit=Go

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=TM&offensiveStatisticCategory=OFFENSIVE_LINE&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&season=2014&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=false&Submit=Go

denverYooper
11-28-2014, 01:19 PM
Green Bay's interior OL is up there in the top 5 this year. That trio is jellin'. The main problem is speed around the edges on the road.

denverYooper
11-28-2014, 01:23 PM
Good news... Perry was a participant in today's practice that did not actually exist:

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- It was an only an estimation because the Green Bay Packers don't actually practice on Fridays anymore, but for the first time since outside linebacker Nick Perry injured his shoulder Nov. 16, he was listed as a participant in practice.

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/15730/nick-perry-making-progress-with-shoulder-injury

mraynrand
11-28-2014, 03:47 PM
Green Bay's interior OL is up there in the top 5 this year. That trio is jellin'. The main problem is speed around the edges on the road.

the injuries to Sitton and Lang have hurt the run game, but they've been pretty good in pass pro.

Bacteria has improved over the season; Bulaga is far more solid than #67, but I agree with your assessment of the tackles against speed.

wist43
11-28-2014, 03:51 PM
Really???

I don't know what your point is... I don't think even the most homey homers on here would argue that our OL is anywhere in the same league as the Cowboys.

They can run the ball - they do run the ball; and we cannot. The only way we can run the ball is by using the pass to set up the run... the Cowboys are good enough that they don't have to do that, they can simply line up and run it down your throat more often than not... they just had a bad game yesterday.

Our OL is there to pass block... anything that gets accomplished in the running game is an afterthought. They're not knee-benders at all, there's no pulling or trapping - we have 3 running plays, and that's it.

If we had Dallas's OL, and the Vikings defense?? We'd be in business ;)

wist43
11-28-2014, 03:54 PM
Good news... Perry was a participant in today's practice that did not actually exist:

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/15730/nick-perry-making-progress-with-shoulder-injury

The gameplan has already been installed, so I'm assuming that since Perry was questionable, dunderdummy just went ahead and planned on a ton of 2-4. I hope it aint so, and I hope Perry plays, and I hope dunderdummy plays a lot of 3-3, but let's face it... we're talking about dunder "Mr. 2-4" dummy.

mraynrand
11-28-2014, 03:58 PM
I don't know what your point is... I don't think even the most homey homers on here would argue that our OL is anywhere in the same league as the Cowboys.

obviously people are comparing the performances of GB and Dallas O-line versus Philly's D. The thing is, it isn;t just the lines of course, it's the lines plus the QB*. And Rodgers is so vastly superior to Romo that he will make a line look better. (I didn't get a chance to see the Dallas game, so I don't know how bad the line versus Romo played in that game)

*and RBs, but that's probably a wash or slight advantage to Lacy.

woodbuck27
11-28-2014, 04:44 PM
obviously people are comparing the performances of GB and Dallas O-line versus Philly's D. The thing is, it isn;t just the lines of course, it's the lines plus the QB*. And Rodgers is so vastly superior to Romo that he will make a line look better. (I didn't get a chance to see the Dallas game, so I don't know how bad the line versus Romo played in that game)

*and RBs, but that's probably a wash or slight advantage to Lacy.

Tony Romo was totally put off his rhythm by Philly's 'D'.

4 SACKS and 1 FF and 2 Picks . That game was all Eagles and in the first half the Boys defense was gassed by the pace of the Eagles offense. That exhaustion was spared 'worse' in the second half due to a long spectacular at the half.

pbmax
11-28-2014, 08:25 PM
Now this year he is finally be used with his hand in the dirt, and all of a sudden he's showing flashes of being player?? Go figure...
\.

Yes. We should definitely ignore the entire Chcago game.

pbmax
11-28-2014, 08:28 PM

Huh. Packers don't usually play games with injury info (which makes Hawks' performance even more enigmatic). I wonder if he indeed is ready to practice tomorrow.

pbmax
11-28-2014, 08:29 PM
They [Dallas] can run the ball - they do run the ball; and we [Packers] cannot. The only way we can run the ball is by using the pass to set up the run... the Cowboys are good enough that they don't have to do that, they can simply line up and run it down your throat more often than not... they just had a bad game yesterday.

Using these assumptions, please explain the end of the Vikings game please. Specifically, the last 3:32.

wist43
11-28-2014, 08:56 PM
Using these assumptions, please explain the end of the Vikings game please. Specifically, the last 3:32.

Years of ineptitude is trumped by 5 good runs, lol...

You guys are such a hoot ;)

wist43
11-28-2014, 09:01 PM
Yes. We should definitely ignore the entire Chcago game.

So let me get this straight... you'd rather give up 150+ yds/game on the ground, and leave receivers running unmolested and uncovered all over the field?? To stick to your (and dunderdummy's) beloved 2-4, you'd rather have that, than put a 3-3 on the field like we had against Chicago??

I'm beginning to think that you are dunderdummy's 'mini-me'.

pbmax
11-28-2014, 09:13 PM
So let me get this straight... you'd rather give up 150+ yds/game on the ground, and leave receivers running unmolested and uncovered all over the field?? To stick to your (and dunderdummy's) beloved 2-4, you'd rather have that, than put a 3-3 on the field like we had against Chicago??

I'm beginning to think that you are dunderdummy's 'mini-me'.

Keep up. Second Chicago game, Perry at OLB in 2-4. Bears went 24-55 in run game.

pbmax
11-28-2014, 09:31 PM
How does Dom Capers counter Tom Brady? (http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/284191211.html)

pbmax
11-28-2014, 09:33 PM
Tyler Dunne @TyDunne · 9h 9 hours ago
Injuries: Nick Perry questionable
Davante Adams probable
Jarrett Bush quest
T.J. Lang probable
Josh Sitton prob
Brandon Bostick probable

woodbuck27
11-28-2014, 11:08 PM
http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-locker-room-report/article-1/Packers-defense-geared-up-for-more-than-just-Gronkowski/730ea033-8b88-44bd-9020-3b1d87786edd?campaign=email_141128

Packers defense geared up for more than just Gronkowski

Posted Nov 27, 2014

Mike Spofford ... packers.com senior writer

** “When it’s all said and done, it’s not just about Gronkowski,” cornerback Tramon Williams said. “He imposes his will on defenses, but Tom spreads the ball around. He gets the ball to his backs, to his receivers, everybody. So you can’t just pinpoint one guy. Certain guys make bigger plays, but you can’t pinpoint one guy.”

** “The biggest thing with a guy like him is you have to find a way to get him down once he catches the ball,” linebacker A.J. Hawk said. “His yards after catch, I don’t know what the stats might be on him, but he breaks a lot of tackles and gets downfield, and their team gets energized when he does that.”

** So, is it tougher to cover Gronkowski or tackle him?

“I can’t even answer that for you,” Hyde said. “You can see on tape he breaks a lot of tackles. Guys have trouble getting him down. But at the same time, guys are trying to limit his touches and he’s still catching the ball. I’ll have to answer that after the game on Sunday.”

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receivingYardsAfterCatch/qualified/false

NFL Player Receiving Statistics - 2014

Note see YAC for Packers Vs Pats.

GO PACK GO !

Pugger
11-29-2014, 08:02 AM

They can run the ball - they do run the ball; and we cannot. The only way we can run the ball is by using the pass to set up the run... the Cowboys are good enough that they don't have to do that, they can simply line up and run it down your throat more often than not... they just had a bad game yesterday.

Our OL is there to pass block... anything that gets accomplished in the running game is an afterthought. They're not knee-benders at all, there's no pulling or trapping - we have 3 running plays, and that's it.

If we had Dallas's OL, and the Vikings defense?? We'd be in business ;)

Dallas' line is very good at run blocking but I don't think they are a hell of lot better than us at pass blocking. I'd also like to have a defense that is much better than the queens'.

Pugger
11-29-2014, 08:05 AM
How does Dom Capers counter Tom Brady? (http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/284191211.html)

I don't think Capers is going to try to trick Brady. That would be a waste of time. What would really help is to have all hands on deck and play sound fundamental football. Tackle well and try to get turnovers. IMO the team that wins tomorrow is the one who wins the turnover battle.

pbmax
11-29-2014, 08:57 AM
I don't think Capers is going to try to trick Brady. That would be a waste of time. What would really help is to have all hands on deck and play sound fundamental football. Tackle well and try to get turnovers. IMO the team that wins tomorrow is the one who wins the turnover battle.

Actually I am all for disguising a look pre-snap. Packers don't do a lot of that. Wist may be haunted by the 2-4, but I am haunted by Eli Manning saying its not like he had a tough time figuring out what the Packers were doing (Kurt Warner also said this) in coverage.

Hide it, show zone then run man. Show single high then retreat to two deep. Reverse it. Stand everyone is the same position every snap then have them run to assignment at the snap. Change all the uniform numbers. Maybe camouflage.

Maxie the Taxi
11-29-2014, 09:03 AM
Actually I am all for disguising a look pre-snap. Packers don't do a lot of that. Wist may be haunted by the 2-4, but I am haunted by Eli Manning saying its not like he had a tough time figuring out what the Packers were doing (Kurt Warner also said this) in coverage.

Hide it, show zone then run man. Show single high then retreat to two deep. Reverse it. Stand everyone is the same position every snap then have them run to assignment at the snap. Change all the uniform numbers. Maybe camouflage.

I'd like to see them do the same thing on offense, not camouflage but a dose of misdirection, reverses, counter plays and the like. Rodgers simply reaching back and putting the ball in Lacy's belly is getting mighty old.

pbmax
11-29-2014, 09:11 AM
I'd like to see them do the same thing on offense, not camouflage but a dose of misdirection, reverses, counter plays and the like. Rodgers simply reaching back and putting the ball in Lacy's belly is getting mighty old.

They run the boot for that, so the DE/OLB can't cheat down the line like Matthews to tackle Lacy from behind.

But I did think I saw Cobb run one fly sweep earlier this year.

Maxie the Taxi
11-29-2014, 09:19 AM
The "boot?"

Fritz
11-29-2014, 09:26 AM

Here's your exact quote, Wist:

"The only way we can run the ball is by using the pass to set up the run..."

Notice your word choice: the "only" way. You didn't say, except sometimes they do it. You said "only," and when someone calls you on it, you excuse it as the exception and fall back on your usual namecalling - we're all "homers."

So if you don't mean "only," then don't choose that word.

You argue, over and over again, that you are spot-on correct in your analysis. Any evidence counter to your ideas you excuse as irrelevant, or so occasional as to not count, or sheer luck. Like your infamous claim that the whole 2010 SB run was luck.

So you're always right because you dismiss anything that doesn't fit your pre-conceived notions.

And you talk about other people being unrealistic.

mraynrand
11-29-2014, 11:25 AM
Keep up. Second Chicago game, Perry at OLB in 2-4. Bears went 24-55 in run game.

I like Wist a lot, but this obsession with 2-4 is over the top. I got tired of this and left. I have analysis somewhere of several more games showing Capers adjusts the 2-4 to essentially a 3-3 for run heavy teams, and runs the 2-4 primarily on (predicted) passing downs (last year). Chicago obviously can do both, so Capers went with a 2-4 that included Perry.

I think that Capers took the new pass interference rules to heart and that the 2-4 this year was an acknowledgement that team were going to be pass-happy. results have been mixed. Obviously Seattle is getting away with a lot of contact and in the playoffs, like last year against SF, the refs are gonna swallow their whistles.

Unfortunately for the Packers, Capers' schemes do require the flexibility of a lot of specialized players, and if guys get hurt, he becomes limited very quickly. It's not like injuries don't hurt other teams (see SF for example), it's just missing a guy here or there can totally kill Dom's schemes (See at Saints, for example).

wist43
11-29-2014, 11:39 AM
Here's your exact quote, Wist:

"The only way we can run the ball is by using the pass to set up the run..."

Notice your word choice: the "only" way. You didn't say, except sometimes they do it. You said "only," and when someone calls you on it, you excuse it as the exception and fall back on your usual namecalling - we're all "homers."

So if you don't mean "only," then don't choose that word.

You argue, over and over again, that you are spot-on correct in your analysis. Any evidence counter to your ideas you excuse as irrelevant, or so occasional as to not count, or sheer luck. Like your infamous claim that the whole 2010 SB run was luck.

So you're always right because you dismiss anything that doesn't fit your pre-conceived notions.

And you talk about other people being unrealistic.

Like I said... years of ineptitude is erased with 1 instance in which they ran for a 1st down - and this is what you guys hang your hat on??

In a court of law circumstantial evidence can be dismissed if it is thread bare and does not amount to weight. The weight in this case however, is on my side of the argument - it is you guys who are in denial.

In terms of running the ball, we can't consistently do it b/c of philosophical reasons; and in terms of stopping the run, the same is true. When the coaching staffs on either side of the ball get their heads of out their asses, i.e. MM incorporates some power running plays, and dunderdummy gets away from his beloved 2-4 and actually schemes an effort to hold down the LOS - then we can at least be average on both sides of the ball; but that doesn't happen very often, does it??

It is you guys who are trying to defend the blind squirrel.

wist43
11-29-2014, 11:49 AM
I like Wist a lot, but this obsession with 2-4 is over the top. I got tired of this and left. I have analysis somewhere of several more games showing Capers adjusts the 2-4 to essentially a 3-3 for run heavy teams, and runs the 2-4 primarily on (predicted) passing downs (last year). Chicago obviously can do both, so Capers went with a 2-4 that included Perry.

I think that Capers took the new pass interference rules to heart and that the 2-4 this year was an acknowledgement that team were going to be pass-happy. results have been mixed. Obviously Seattle is getting away with a lot of contact and in the playoffs, like last year against SF, the refs are gonna swallow their whistles.

Unfortunately for the Packers, Capers' schemes do require the flexibility of a lot of specialized players, and if guys get hurt, he becomes limited very quickly. It's not like injuries don't hurt other teams (see SF for example), it's just missing a guy here or there can totally kill Dom's schemes (See at Saints, for example).

What Capers has been doing the past few years is fundamentally unsound - and the results bear that out.

We've had one of the worst defenses in the league for 4 years running - and when he did manage to stop the bleeding a little bit during '12 season, he got us completely embarrassed and bounced out of the playoffs in infamous record setting fashion.

Everyone knows the weakness of the Green Bay Packers is defense - you guys complain a little bit here and there, but for the most part you see it as substandard players. With respect to the ILB's, yes I'm in complete agreement there, but everywhere else on defense - I like most of the players and see that they can be used to much better effect than what dunderdummy has been doing.

When he did go to the 3-3, our defense looked like an actual NFL calibur defense. It disrupted the LOS, created pressure, and put our best defensive players on the field together - in terms of the nickel?? The 3-3 is the answer for our team given our personnel.

You guys don't want to look at reality - you'd rather shoot the messenger. Given our personnel?? The 2-4 is a recipe for disaster, and that is born out every game we run a lot of 2-4, i.e. we get eaten alive, and give up tons of yds and pts - that is undeniable.

smuggler
11-29-2014, 11:54 AM

Modern political strategy ITT; Who cares if it works, so long as it fits my team's ideology!!

wist43
11-29-2014, 12:13 PM

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?27285-Packer-weaknesses&p=807270&viewfull=1#post807270

You mean a "2-4" look similar to this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ one??

Max: "Well, its nice to know I haven't lost my mind. Packers did use a Bear front versus Eagles. That's 4 linebackers (Peppers, Hawk, Perry and Matthews) and 2 lineman (Daniels and Guion)."

If Perry is a "LB" in that presnap shot - wouldn't Danels and Guion be "LB's" as well; and if that is the case, isn't that 0-6 alignment by your reckoning??

Since you like to call that a "2-4", then what in God's name would be a 3-3??

Perry played a lot of the Chicago game with his hand in the dirt, i.e. as a DL - which is where he belongs.

The only problem I have the alignment that you posted there is that Hawk is still on the field... I'd much rather see Neal in Matthews spot, and Matthews playing the middle where Hawk is, and Hawk standing on the sideline along with Brad Jones.

wist43
11-29-2014, 12:17 PM
Modern political strategy ITT; Who cares if it works, so long as it fits my team's ideology!!

The example of being able to run for a couple of 1st downs at the end of the Viking game is an outlier - outliers are just that, and have to be dismissed. They are called outliers b/c they lie outside the set of observed data that give you your trend and are therefore unreliable and invalid.

denverYooper
11-29-2014, 12:23 PM
Rodgers is going to have a legacy game tomorrow.

mraynrand
11-29-2014, 12:56 PM
http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?27285-Packer-weaknesses&p=807270&viewfull=1#post807270

Max: "Well, its nice to know I haven't lost my mind. Packers did use a Bear front versus Eagles. That's 4 linebackers (Peppers, Hawk, Perry and Matthews) and 2 lineman (Daniels and Guion)."

If Perry is a "LB" in that presnap shot - wouldn't Danels and Guion be "LB's" as well; and if that is the case, isn't that 0-6 alignment by your reckoning??

Perry played a lot of the Chicago game with his hand in the dirt, i.e. as a DL - which is where he belongs.

The only problem I have the alignment that you posted there is that Hawk is still on the field... I'd much rather see Neal in Matthews spot, and Matthews playing the middle where Hawk is, and Hawk standing on the sideline along with Brad Jones.

This post proves again that you don't know what you're talking about. I guess putting a hand down on the ground makes you a DL. Or not. Or sometimes it does. Or not. 6 OLB who were drafted as DLs or played as DLs means a 2-4 is an 0-6 or a 1-5. Depending on whether a hand is touching dirt. Or not. Or something. Or not.

pbmax
11-29-2014, 01:07 PM
The "boot?"

Fake outside zone run to Lacy to one side, QB and TE and one other receiver head back the other direction. They leave the DE/OLB unblocked (or lightly bothered) and hope to get a mismatch or broken coverage.

If DE/OLB reacts well and closes to Rodgers fast, they hit the TE for 5 yards. If DE/OLB blows it and gives Rodgers time, he tries to get to the WR running a crossing route toward that same side of field deeper than the TE.

pbmax
11-29-2014, 01:12 PM

This is still a debate about down lineman versus defensive lineman. Perry is down, but he is not a defensive lineman. He is a OLB.

However, I do agree that with Perry inside the O Tackle, his role and responsibilities here, hand in dirt or not, are likely to be down lineman like. But they have used this formation less than 20 times in three games.

Problem with Neal for Matthews is that you limit your pass rush.

Also, Bear front was versus Eagles not Bears.

pbmax
11-29-2014, 01:22 PM
Not going to avoid Revis like Sherman: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/29/packers-dont-plan-to-avoid-revis/

Willard
11-29-2014, 01:31 PM
Potential late season out-of-nowhere weapons: Jeff Janis, Brandon Bostick,
and Dujuan Harris. I predict a surprise tomorrow. Revis and the rest will focus on our traditional weapons only to be torched by these no names. Sweet!

pbmax
11-29-2014, 01:37 PM
Packers doomed.

Packers respect, praise Belichick's 'disciplined' Patriots (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/players-coaches-respect-praise-belichicks-disciplined-patriots-b99399155z1-284196251.html)

"Their defense is very consistent shedding blocks. They're very active with their hands. They play with good pad level.

Given the Vikes game, I think they may see some more of this:

"On offense, they do a lot of pick routes and screens. They're almost illegal. At the same time, the refs won't call it. You have to make the refs call it. They definitely challenge every aspect of the game. That's what makes it so tough."

woodbuck27
11-29-2014, 07:39 PM
Just what are the playoff implications of a loss for the Green bay Packers in this matchup tomorrow with New England.

ie Making the playoffs. Winning a Division. Winning a 1st Round Bye and winning the TOP SEED.

NFL Week 13 Playoff Implications

By: Mike Beuoy and Reuben Fischer-Baum

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/nfl-week-13-playoff-implications-be-thankful-for-meaningful-games-this-thanksgiving/:

GO PACK GO !

wist43
11-29-2014, 08:38 PM
This is still a debate about down lineman versus defensive lineman. Perry is down, but he is not a defensive lineman. He is a OLB.

However, I do agree that with Perry inside the O Tackle, his role and responsibilities here, hand in dirt or not, are likely to be down lineman like. But they have used this formation less than 20 times in three games.

Problem with Neal for Matthews is that you limit your pass rush.

Also, Bear front was versus Eagles not Bears.

There's no point discussing this further max... If you can't bring yourself to admit that a defender that is lined up over the guard in a 3 pt stance is a defensive linemen, then you can use any sophistry imaginable to argue that Gilbert Brown was cornerback.

If Perry were standing up and simply filling a gap, I'd agree with you that he is acting as a LB, but that is not the case in the presnap look you posted. What you posted there is what I've been calling for forever, i.e. a 3-3, with down linemen, in this case Daniels, Giuion, and Perry, and 3 LB's Peppers, Hawk and Matthews.

As I said, I'd prefer that Neal be in there in Matthews spot, and Matthews in Hawk's spot, but at least dunderdummy has a reasonable alignment on the field for the personnel he has on the roster. The problem is he doesn't do that except sporadically. When he did use that alignment against Philly and Chicago, our defense had very good success - when he went to the 2-4, we got gashed, or we got lucky and the QB missed wide open receivers.

Given our personnel, the 3-3 is the best solution; but dunderdummy doesn't like to use it, and therefore we will continue to struggle.

wist43
11-29-2014, 08:43 PM
This post proves again that you don't know what you're talking about. I guess putting a hand down on the ground makes you a DL. Or not. Or sometimes it does. Or not. 6 OLB who were drafted as DLs or played as DLs means a 2-4 is an 0-6 or a 1-5. Depending on whether a hand is touching dirt. Or not. Or something. Or not.

I'm saying that alignment is a 3-3, max is saying it is a 2-4...

He is trying to play a sophistry game by saying that a down linemen is not a defensive linemen. In terms of a 3-3 or a 2-4?? The definition is how many linemen you have, and how many LB's you have.

You guys can try to spin it all you want, but 3 down linemen, lined up inside the tackles, and 3 LB's standing up, 2 outside and 1 inside - that is by definition a 3-3.

woodbuck27
11-29-2014, 09:50 PM
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

2014 OFFENSIVE LINE RANKING:

New England is RANKED 4th and the Green Bay Packers 14th.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/dl

2014 DEFENSIVE LINE RANKING:

New England is RANKED 24th and the Green Bay Packers 27th.

Patler
11-29-2014, 11:03 PM
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

2014 OFFENSIVE LINE RANKING:

New England is RANKED 4th and the Green Bay Packers 14th.

Yet, in an interview with JSO, Greg Bedard referred to the Patriots O-line as "shaky" and mentioned it first when asked about the Patriots weaknesses.

mraynrand
11-29-2014, 11:32 PM
You guys can try to spin it all you want, but 3 down linemen, lined up inside the tackles, and 3 LB's standing up, 2 outside and 1 inside - that is by definition a 3-3.

There's no spin. The Packers have at least 4 OLBs who can play DE - Neal, Perry, Matthews and Peppers. So when those four (or three plus Hawk) are on the field with two defensive linemen, the D can play any number of combinations from a 4-3, 3-3, 2-4, elephant, whatever. It depends on down and distance and alignment. If you don't take the circumstance and specific alignment into consideration on a specific play, you can be totally wrong about what Capers is trying to do.

The huge difference is that last year they had (for a while) Jolly and Pickett as run stopping DL only. But those guys could get trapped on the field by any team that runs a no-huddle/hurry up.

I think Capers wanted the versatility to run from 4-3 to 2-4 with the same people on the field. Partly because of the demise of Raji (performance and then injury) and now Hawk, he's yielded more in the run game to protect the passing defense. With all the parts in place, the Packer pass D has been doing what Capers intended - turn the ball over. But it's looked bad at times yielding lots of yards, especially in the run game. I don't see it getting better until they improve personnel at DT and ILB.

mraynrand
11-29-2014, 11:33 PM
Yet, in an interview with JSO, Greg Bedard referred to the Patriots O-line as "shaky" and mentioned it first when asked about the Patriots weaknesses.

Bedard is shaky

Bossman641
11-30-2014, 12:43 AM
I love how the Dallas ol gets a pass as the Thursday game being an anomaly yet the Packer ol has fans proclaiming their suckiness on a play to play level.

woodbuck27
11-30-2014, 06:01 AM
http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-ask-vic/article-1/Finesse-team-Whos-saying-that-now/35c31609-5b25-4ddf-8d0d-4316b9d70899?campaign=email_141128

Finesse team? Who's saying that now?

Posted Nov 24, 2014

Vic Ketchman ... packers.com editor

Comment: There are some good questions and comments in this RE: NE @ Green Bay Sunday Nov. 30 ,2014.

GO PACK GO !

woodbuck27
11-30-2014, 06:47 AM
What's going to be the key for a Packer win in this huge game looking forward to the teams seeding spot in the playoffs?

It must be emphasized that this win today is necessary for the Green Bay Packers to have a real shot at the Super Bowl.

We have discussed their secondary and coverage of Nelson and Cobb and assuming that Revis and Browner get that done what's left?

Our other guys are Lacy (solid in the passing game), WR's Adams, Boykin. Janis and TE's Quarless and Richard Rodgers.

I'm looking for decent pass protection and time for Aaron Rodgers to execute the short pass and yards after the catch. I'm looking for Aaron Rodgers to check down to his secondary targets as a key to victory. I'm looking for a huge game for Eddie Lacy to contribute to that result as well.

Their passing game threat is formidable with WR's Brandon Lafell (strong/fast), Julian Edelman (fast/elusive), Danny Amendola, TE Rob Gronkowski (a BEAST) and TE/WR Tim Wright (a great pickup for the Pat's).

Watch Brandon Lafell for a big game. Watching both Lafell and Julian Edelman I can report that these two receivers are scary. Danny Amendola and Julian Edelman are impressive as well in the return game. I watched one game (was it Vs Denver) where Julian Edelman dominated.

Our defense has to bump (double bump) Gronk and not allow him to easily gain the middle of the field. The real key will be somehow harassing Tom Brady and somehow containing GRONK the best a taem might try to. I see GRONK the same as I do a healthy Megatron or very difficult to stop.

If Tom Brady gets time and can find GRONK over the middle look for a shootout win as the best case scenario for Aaron Rodgers and the Packers victory.

Belichick and MM will both try to establish the run early. I believe that right now the New England Patriots are deeper at RB. Bill Belichick will use all his horses. Again for us to win Eddie lacy has to be at the top of his game assuming that MM has a ton of faith in him and his running game.

It's going to be an hell of a game.

GO PACK GO.

woodbuck27
11-30-2014, 06:51 AM
I love how the Dallas ol gets a pass as the Thursday game being an anomaly yet the Packer ol has fans proclaiming their suckiness on a play to play level.

You realize 'of course' that Dallas has the NO. 1 Ranked OL in the NFL.

Green Bay's OL is Ranked #14.

denverYooper
11-30-2014, 07:49 AM
You realize 'of course' that Dallas has the NO. 1 Ranked OL in the NFL.

Green Bay's OL is Ranked #14.

Yet they got overrun on Thursday by the same Eagles defense that Rodgers picked apart.

pbmax
11-30-2014, 08:56 AM
I'm saying that alignment is a 3-3, max is saying it is a 2-4...

He is trying to play a sophistry game by saying that a down linemen is not a defensive linemen. In terms of a 3-3 or a 2-4?? The definition is how many linemen you have, and how many LB's you have.

I am giving you that the Bear front* is a 3-3. To describe it as a 2-4 causes more confusion than clarity. But that doesn't transform Perry, body-wise, into a DT.

We have forgotten a small point about your call for the 3-3. You wanted more size to defense the middle of the field. You wanted to take Jones or Hawk off the field for a DB and leave three lineman.

So Capers, in this formation, run for 15 snaps versus 1 team, gave you half of what you want. A formation of 3-3. But he did it by subtracting a lineman for the DB and lining up an OLB at DT. That is a plus of 1 inch and 10 pounds over Jones.

* actual Bear front needs another backer on the LOS, but three lineman over the G-C-G is one of the defining characteristics.

pbmax
11-30-2014, 08:57 AM
Yet they got overrun on Thursday by the same Eagles defense that Rodgers picked apart.

Jordy > Dez

Pugger
11-30-2014, 09:40 AM

At home.

ThunderDan
11-30-2014, 09:46 AM
I am giving you that the Bear front* is a 3-3. To describe it as a 2-4 causes more confusion than clarity. But that doesn't transform Perry, body-wise, into a DT.

We have forgotten a small point about your call for the 3-3. You wanted more size to defense the middle of the field. You wanted to take Jones or Hawk off the field for a DB and leave three lineman.

So Capers, in this formation, run for 15 snaps versus 1 team, gave you half of what you want. A formation of 3-3. But he did it by subtracting a lineman for the DB and lining up an OLB at DT. That is a plus of 1 inch and 10 pounds over Jones.

* actual Bear front needs another backer on the LOS, but three lineman over the G-C-G is one of the defining characteristics.

This is why I don't get into it with Wist anymore.

Earlier this year, I was trying to argue that our 2-4 was really more of a 4-2 when you had Perry and Peppers as the OLBs in the formation. He would have nothing to do with that even with Peppers playing DE in a 4-3 for his whole career. Peppers in a two point stance in the exact same spot as where he was is a 3 point stance the year before didn't count.

Striker
11-30-2014, 09:49 AM
At home.

Romo's gonna Romo.

ThunderDan
11-30-2014, 09:50 AM

Lacy 25 for 125 yards. 11 rushing first downs in the game. 5 good runs my ass!

ThunderDan
11-30-2014, 09:53 AM
Eddie Lacy 2013:

284 carries for 1,178 yards at 4.1 per carry and 11 TDs.

Offensive Rookie of the Year. Obviously the Packers couldn't run last year and somehow had a RB that won OROY.

pbmax
11-30-2014, 10:04 AM
Cross posting this so be forewarned: Bob says yes the Packers are playing the Patriots, but they need to stay ahead of the Seachickens.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/seattle-looms-as-packers-biggest-obstacle-to-super-bowl-b99399035z1-284243601.html

Bob would make a terrible coach.

George Cumby
11-30-2014, 10:14 AM
It must be emphasized that this win today is necessary for the Green Bay Packers to have a real shot at the Super Bowl.

Nope.

mraynrand
11-30-2014, 10:21 AM
Cross posting this so be forewarned: Bob says yes the Packers are playing the Patriots, but they need to stay ahead of the Seachickens.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/seattle-looms-as-packers-biggest-obstacle-to-super-bowl-b99399035z1-284243601.html

Bob would make a terrible coach.

A good coach always tells you to keep an eye on the scoreboard and not the opponent in front of you.

The Shadow
11-30-2014, 11:12 AM
Mike Daniels could earn himself a lot of money today if he can generate consisitent pressure on Brady up the middle.

woodbuck27
11-30-2014, 11:21 AM
Nope.

Noted...but all the same a loss to New England would reduce their mathematical probability of winning the Super Bowl immediately and going forward.