PDA

View Full Version : LB D.Edwards S.D. on the block?

gureski
04-14-2006, 11:18 AM
Sorry if this is up already but Kevin Acee, San Diego Union-Tribune, Sporting News is reporting that LB Donnie Edwards of the Chargers is on the trading block.

Very interesting from the Packers standpoint as we're one of the few teams that could afford him. Picking up Edwards could mean moving Barnett outside. Just having Edwards on the market as an option for teams could...could impact the contract demands of one Lavar Arrington.

Just thought I'd share it.

The following was quoted from footballguys.com

"Chargers LB Donnie Edwards will be moving on, if not real soon then at least sooner than he would like. GM A.J. Smith verified when asked yesterday that he has notified the rest of the NFL (except AFC West foes) that Edwards is available for trade. Smith would not confirm what might pry Edwards away, but it is a good bet a first-day draft pick would accomplish it. Only Miami's LB Zach Thomas has more tackles than Edwards over the past seven seasons, but it is debatable what Edwards would bring in trade in that the cap hit to a team that signed him would be $3.55 million. "

motife
04-14-2006, 11:21 AM
The Chargers apparently are asking for a 2nd rounder. He's 33 years old.

gureski
04-14-2006, 11:27 AM
I think the most positive thing about this development is that Arrington has competition at the LB spot and that means that he no longer is the only show left for teams to acquire. This could affect any teams contract negotiations with Arrington. With Edwards as an option for teams to leverage against Arrington in negotiations.....I do not see how he can stand as stubbornly as he had been indicating he was going to.

The Packers, being one of the teams with the money to pay either Arrington or Edwards, can realistically play this card with Arrington and maybe benefit because of it. If Arrington thought he could just hold on long enough and the Packers would finally up the ante to where he wanted it.....maybe he's not so sure of that anymore. That's all I'm saying.

Guiness
04-14-2006, 04:05 PM
I know Edwards doesn't have the questions Boulaware did, but I see them as being in the same situation.

How long does Edwards have left on his contract? If it's one or two years, at that money, it wouldn't be bad for a third rounder - although not necessarily OUR third rounder. Something lower in the round.

Harlan Huckleby
04-14-2006, 06:17 PM
why aren't there any rumors about OFFENSIVE players coming to Green Bay?

Somebody start one! Packers look like NFLE on offense.

Fritz
04-15-2006, 02:59 AM
If TT traded a second, third, or even a fourth round pick for a 33 year old player I'd be sick. Now if the team was one player away from the Super Bowl (Eugene Robinson), maybe, but not this team, no way. It would be nothing short of idiotic.

Tarlam!
04-15-2006, 03:29 AM
Agree with Fritz. If we were contenders and needed to shore up this one hole, then it'd be different. But we aint in that position.

Bretsky
04-15-2006, 09:11 AM
why aren't there any rumors about OFFENSIVE players coming to Green Bay?

Somebody start one! Packers look like NFLE on offense.

Because TT thinks our overachieving OL if fine with 3 out of 5 question marks for starters :wink:

Fritz
04-15-2006, 10:27 AM
Bretsky, this offensive line thing is clearly a real sore spot with you. I'm going to start worrying for you if I go to the Romper Room and see you commenting on the offensive line problems after someone has posted a pic of two topless hotties frenching each other on a bed.

Bretsky
04-15-2006, 11:30 AM
Fritz,

You already know this, but my bitterly sore spots are OL and LB's. TT should have shored these positions up already IMO. He would have made this team SO SO much better by using the cap space on those postions.

Now if comparing the two I'll be the first to admit there were a lot more quality LB's than Centers or OG's.

And definitely more LB's that have both youth and some experience on their side. And some that signed in the 2-3MIL per year range that would have been solid upgrades from any player on our LBing roster but Barnett.

I'll never confuse football with grailism.

Fritz
04-15-2006, 12:14 PM
"BUT not to worry; the Grailism thread, and it's pictures are way too precious for me to disrupt the beautiful serenity with football gripes."

We disagree on much, but I see that we do agree on this very important topic. I'm hoping to see more pics of the kind suggested above posted there...but I worry that the fine ladies of the forum will respond by posting pics of two guys, jsut to gross us out. Guess I can just scroll over that stuff, though.

Fritz
04-15-2006, 12:15 PM
Let me clarify: I understand that it is possible to see pics of two guys as not being "gross." I do not mean to demean gay people. Sorry about that.

HarveyWallbangers
04-16-2006, 10:54 PM
Edwards is also an UFA after this season. No way do you do that trade--unless you are at the end of round 2 and you think you are a LB away from seriously contending.