PDA

View Full Version : Final thoughts....after last night's nightmare.

gbpackfan
08-29-2006, 03:45 PM
Okay, after this thread, I am done with last night's game. It was an absolute mess. Here are my final thoughts. Please add your own.

1. This team is young and inexperienced. Some days we will look good, other we will look down right ugly.

2. We are not ready to hang with the big boys, but our schedule is such that we should win more then 4 games this season. As of right now, I would say we should win at least 4 games at home. I believe an 8-8 record is possible but I would expect to see 7-9 or 6-10.

3. Our D scheme is about as plain vanilla as you can get. We are not fooling anyone. The run D is okay, but the pass D is pathetic. Most of this is because we let the TE run free and we GENERATE ZERO PASS RUSH. Bates' D was no better. It looks exactly the same. TT failed to address the D line in the off-season. Re-signing Kampman really did nothing to IMPROVE the pass rush. The top QBs will pick us apart at will unless we get more creative on D.

4. Last night was just a preseaon game, but it was apparent that effort just wasnt there by many of our players. MM should have ripped them a new one after that game and if he didnt, shame on him. However, like I said before, it was just a preseason game. It is NEVER as bad or as a good as it looks. The Packers have work to do, yes. But I am going to with hold judgement until after the Bears game. That is the real and only game that matters. Once the season starts, ANYTHING can happen (I am not saying they are super bowl bound, but I don't believe they will go 0-16 either!).

AtlPackFan
08-29-2006, 03:52 PM
3. Our D scheme is about as plain vanilla as you can get. We are not fooling anyone. The run D is okay, but the pass D is pathetic. Most of this is because we let the TE run free and we GENERATE ZERO PASS RUSH. Bates' D was no better. It looks exactly the same. TT failed to address the D line in the off-season. Re-signing Kampman really did nothing to IMPROVE the pass rush. The top QBs will pick us apart at will unless we get more creative on D.

Do you think the "plain vanilla" is a pre-season thing...that they will try to run more complex, dynamic defenses when the regular season gets under way?

MJZiggy
08-29-2006, 03:57 PM
I honestly just hope they drill and drill and drill about wrapping up the ballcarrier and getting him to the ground and working on the secondary.

Isn't that what Lombardi would have done in a situation like this (after he tore all their lockers off the wall and told them they weren't good enough to have lockers)?

woodbuck27
08-29-2006, 04:03 PM

Do you think the "plain vanilla" is a pre-season thing...that they will try to run more complex, dynamic defenses when the regular season gets under way?

Yes.

In a Poker Game... you don't reveal your hand, even when you win POT except... if you require openers and someone at the table asks you to show them when that game is done.

Once the season begins, we will see OUR REAL "O" and "D". That's why late in TC... practises are closed sessions.

GO PACK GO ! PACKER FAN FAITH !!

gbpackfan
08-29-2006, 04:32 PM
I hope our REAL O and D are better then our fake ones! Because last night, they blew!

Sparkey
08-29-2006, 04:34 PM
My only thought is I can't believe I wasted a few hours watching that crap.

Joemailman
08-29-2006, 04:36 PM
My final thoughts on last night: The Packers were terrible, Kornheiser and Theismann did their Oprah/Dr. Phil impersonation the whole 2nd half, and then the game thread was turned into play-by-play of a friggin' tennis match. Other than those things, it was a pretty cool night.

However, that is past. There is another game Friday, and improvement is almost inevitable. Remember, McCarthy is undefeated at home! :D

hurleyfan
08-29-2006, 06:09 PM
My final thoughts on last night: The Packers were terrible, Kornheiser and Theismann did their Oprah/Dr. Phil impersonation the whole 2nd half, and then the game thread was turned into play-by-play of a friggin' tennis match. Other than those things, it was a pretty cool night.

However, that is past. There is another game Friday, and improvement is almost inevitable. Remember, McCarthy is undefeated at home! :D

You're right Joe, the Packers were terrible, on all 3 sides of the ball... Offense / Defense & coaching. I know it's just a pre season game, but I think lots of Packer fans are tired of the "no intensity-wish-I-could-kick-some-ass-in-the-locker room" look that MM seems to have inherited from Shermie.. One would think MM would've been spitting frikking nails at how bad "his" team looked on Nat'l televisoin, and showed some emotion...just my opinion!

Oh by the way, the tennis match was MUCH more entertaining than the shit the Packers showed us!! :mrgreen:

Kiwon
08-29-2006, 06:14 PM
Another Monday Night embarrassment. Pretty painful for Pack fans even if it is the pre-season.

ahaha
08-29-2006, 08:07 PM
Final Thoughts.......The Green & Gold Kool-Aid I've been drinking didn't agree with me, and it gave me the Hershey Squirts last night!

hurleyfan
08-29-2006, 08:09 PM
Final Thoughts.......The Green & Gold Kool-Aid I've been drinking didn't agree with me, and it gave me the Hershey Squirts last night!

Should this response be moved to RR ? or some other place?

Sorry for you "pain" ahaha :oops:

Creepy
08-29-2006, 08:11 PM
They lost and it doesn't count. Will not get too excited or down because they got there asses beat. Hope to see improvement and I even saw some last night. A little mroe time and it will get better. Green looked better than the stats showed.

mraynrand
08-29-2006, 08:15 PM
Cincinnati was still playing that game against Pittsburgh. Cincy was and is a highly skilled team that got totally robbed by a terrible injury in their most important game since 1989. They took it out on a listless Packer squad. The Packers aren't that bad, but they aren't very good either. If there is talent on the roster, you might not see it emerge until half way through the season.

Scott Campbell
08-29-2006, 08:17 PM
In a Poker Game... you don't reveal your hand, even when you win POT except... if you require openers and someone at the table asks you to show them when that game is done.

[/b]

There can be an exception to that rule, if you're spending "marketing dollars". I'll show cards sometimes.

ahaha
08-29-2006, 08:19 PM

Should this response be moved to RR ? or some other place?

Sorry for you "pain" ahaha :oops:

I don't think diarrhea is too risque for this forum. I posted a thread, a few weeks ago, with pictures of Brad Childress doing perverted things with nasty women. That thread was moved to the Garbage Can, and deservedly so.

red
08-29-2006, 08:21 PM
i don't think we're as bad as we played last night

now hear me out

i think we went into the game with the mindset that this was a preseason game and we were just out to get everyone use to things and get prepaired for the regular season.

the bengals on the other hand, were jacked up like they were playing in the super bowl. the crowd was electric (no pun intended), and team was fired up by having their qb back on the field for the first time. they were flying everywhere and were in a whole other gear then the packers were in.

the packers were suprised that a team came out with that much intencity for a preseason game and were caught off guard. brett had that "oh shit" moment right off the bat where he turns to throw the screen to green and finds a defender in the air betwen the two and has the ball fly out because of it (at least i think it had something to do with him losing it), and returned for a td.

from there on the bengals looked like they had the pack on the ropes

we looked like a team full of young players trying to learn the game and they played like one of the better teams in the league, who have already hit their stride

ahaha
08-29-2006, 08:24 PM
I like your theory Red, I hope it's true.

Fosco33
08-29-2006, 08:29 PM
No major injuries, positive yards on some drivers, too many unforced errors, a couple bad drops/throws, poor coverage by Woodson - all in all - average - for a preseason game.

I'd rather not peak too early :oops:

I think this team will still surprise folks (esp after a game like last night). The funny thing is - after week 3 or 4 people stop talking about what happened in preseason. I've already forgot most of last night's game. :smile:

Packers4Ever
08-29-2006, 09:54 PM
One would think MM would've been spitting frikking nails at how bad "his" team looked on Nat'l televisoin, and showed some emotion...just my opinion!

I couldn't help but think the same thing, hurleyfan, it was a disaster but he didn't look that distressed. 'Course if you watch, there are some coaches
who do play it on the cool side.
As bad as things went last night, this IS still preseason, we can only get
better, :wink:

Terry
08-29-2006, 10:03 PM
brett had that "oh shit" moment right off the bat where he turns to throw the screen to green and finds a defender in the air betwen the two and has the ball fly out because of it (at least i think it had something to do with him losing it), and returned for a td.

The worst of that is that Brett actually pointed at that guy before the snap, yet no one picked him up or even chipped him before releasing.

Some people have said Brett was as much at fault as anyone else last night, but it ain't so. The interception was not a bad pass to Driver, but actually one of his better passes that was aimed right between Bubba's numbers - but Driver reached up and deflected it. The fumble is no big deal - I imagine the outside rusher was as surprised as anyone else that he could rush in untouched after the QB had pointed at him. Brett doesn't fumble as much per game as most of the QB's in the NFL. If you like, I'll show you the stats. He completed about half his passes and when you take into account that there were 7 or 8 drops right off receivers' hands, his passing was pretty accurate. He also had a fair amount of time to throw most of the time, so let's ease up on the O-Line, Especially since the worse O-Line play seems to be coming from the vets who everyone thought were beyond criticism.

OKC PackerFan
08-29-2006, 10:10 PM
It's all part of the master plan for the Bears on opening day. We lull them into thinking we're the same 4-12 team from last year then strike first blood in the game and attack them the whole game winning in a blowout. :mrgreen: