PDA

View Full Version : He's BACK! Brad Jones Is Your Starting Dime LB

pbmax
11-24-2014, 07:24 PM
http://gnb.scout.com/story/1484643-jones-makes-impact-on-third-down?s=61#.VHO91f3aHkM.twitter

Back in the lineup was veteran Brad Jones, who played 13 snaps in place of A.J. Hawk as the lone inside linebacker in the dime package. Jones started and played every snap against Seattle but hadn’t seen any other significant action, other than 34 snaps in Week 6 against Miami for injured Jamari Lattimore.

Now you have no reason to fear AJ Hawks partially torn (probably) hamstring/quad leg injury. :D

George Cumby
11-24-2014, 08:01 PM
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

red
11-24-2014, 08:09 PM
God damnit

Now we are proper fucked

Joemailman
11-24-2014, 08:14 PM
Would you rather see Hawk?

Tyrion Lannister
11-25-2014, 04:07 AM
Insert Richardson as the "Mike" in the dime. Problem solved, I think.

pbmax
11-25-2014, 07:58 AM
Insert Richardson as the "Mike" in the dime. Problem solved, I think.

He played early and often versus the Vikes.

QBME
11-25-2014, 08:24 AM
He played early and often versus the Vikes.

He had only 4 defensive snaps. 20 on ST.

denverYooper
11-25-2014, 08:47 AM
Not as afraid of a Matthews/Jones inside combo.

Zool
11-25-2014, 08:57 AM
Well now TEs will only have 1-2 yards of separation instead of 4-5. That's something!

mission
11-25-2014, 09:32 AM
I don't hate this if it's dime only but why was Clay on the sidelines on a few third downs? Is it because he tried really hard on the play before?

Can't complain about not rushing the passer if you're taking yourself off the field in passing situations.

QBME
11-25-2014, 09:51 AM
I don't hate this if it's dime only but why was Clay on the sidelines on a few third downs? Is it because he tried really hard on the play before?

Can't complain about not rushing the passer if you're taking yourself off the field in passing situations.

He was on a snap count due to the aggravated groin. He didn't pull himself. (Not sure that sounds right....)

pbmax
11-25-2014, 11:16 AM
He had only 4 defensive snaps. 20 on ST.

Maybe an equipment problem with Burnett or Dix then because I saw him three times on the screen at the beginning of the game for the D.

Maxie the Taxi
11-25-2014, 11:56 AM
Brad Jones is the communication helmet guy if Hawk can't go. So one or both of them will be in for every play.

Tyrion Lannister
11-25-2014, 01:14 PM
Brad Jones is the communication helmet guy if Hawk can't go. So one or both of them will be in for every play.

Why can't Burnett be that guy? He plays every down, doesn't he?

Cut Hawk and Jones for all I care.

wist43
11-25-2014, 01:55 PM
Again, lol... good God again...

The solution is the 3-3 with Matthews roving. The 3 LB's should be Matthews, Neal, and Peppers.

Jones and Hawk have no business being on the field ever, but since we're stuck with them and Barrington/Lattimore - I'd rather see Barrington get the occasional look.

Given that the Pats usually throw a ton of short stuff, and run a lot out of 3 wides, I'd run a lot of 3-3 against them, cheat the safeties up, and double Gronk. I don't fear Edleman or Lefell - let them both have their 6-8 catches, but shut down the run game, make quick tackles on the short throws, and contain Gronk.

If they did that, we'd have a chance... but I don't think dunderdummy will do any of those things. I fully expect us to get outcoached, and to be lit up big time by Brady.

mraynrand
11-25-2014, 02:16 PM

Geezus, here we go again - Hawk - the indispensable communication man. And Jones is the backup? What about Burnett, who is out there every damn play?

mraynrand
11-25-2014, 02:17 PM

great minds think alike

pbmax
11-25-2014, 02:39 PM

If they did that, we'd have a chance... but I don't think dunderdummy will do any of those things. I fully expect us to get outcoached, and to be lit up big time by Brady.

Just like 2010!!

Harlan Huckleby
11-25-2014, 02:44 PM
Hasn't Jones always been the best coverage guy among the linebackers?

Maxie the Taxi
11-25-2014, 02:45 PM
Geezus, here we go again - Hawk - the indispensable communication man. And Jones is the backup? What about Burnett, who is out there every damn play?

Why don't we go to flash cards ala Chip Kelly? Better yet, why not just play the 3-3 as Wist suggests ALL THE TIME. Let the players play.

pbmax
11-25-2014, 02:46 PM

Burnett has to call coverages and adjustments from the backfield, someone needs to be make call neat the LOS for the LBs and lineman.

If Burnett held down both jobs, he could never line up deep. I believe Lattimore has had the radio and made calls before when Hawk was injured. He was out there with the short guy.

Maxie the Taxi
11-25-2014, 02:49 PM
Can you imagine Ray Nitschke being tied to a radio all game long? That thing wouldn't survive the 1st quarter, I guarantee it.:x

pbmax
11-25-2014, 02:57 PM
Given that the Pats usually throw a ton of short stuff, and run a lot out of 3 wides, I'd run a lot of 3-3 against them, cheat the safeties up, and double Gronk. I don't fear Edleman or Lefell - let them both have their 6-8 catches, but shut down the run game, make quick tackles on the short throws, and contain Gronk...

Who is doubling Gronk in your defense?

And the Patriots favorite alignment that I have seen this year is double TEs. Amendola hasn't been available for stretches and Wright at TE has come on. They will split one of the TEs out at times.

Williams has got to cover Edelman. Shields is going to get LaFell.

pbmax
11-25-2014, 02:58 PM
BTW, I think this is all about Hawk being injured in some fashion.

Maxie the Taxi
11-25-2014, 02:59 PM
Who is doubling Gronk in your defense?

Mathews and Peppers?

pbmax
11-25-2014, 03:04 PM
Mathews and Peppers?

So his pass rush is Guion, Daniels, Jones/Boyd and Neal?

Brady will have all day to let Gronk lose his double team. You can't send both you best pass rushers into coverage unless its 3rd and 38.

Capers is going to have to mix it up which means Gronk is going to see a lot of different bodies.

mraynrand
11-25-2014, 03:08 PM
If the Packers focus TOO much on Gronk, they will get shredded elsewhere. Patsies are gonna run the Tampa Titan at them, hoping he will recreate his former Lambeau Field glory. I'm guessing 200+ rushing yards for the Patsies. They probably still lose though...

Maxie the Taxi
11-25-2014, 03:09 PM

Brady will have all day to let Gronk lose his double team. You can't send both you best pass rushers into coverage unless its 3rd and 38.

Capers is going to have to mix it up which means Gronk is going to see a lot of different bodies.

Sorry, pb. That was sarcasm. I should have included a smiley face or something. :whaa:

Maxie the Taxi
11-25-2014, 03:14 PM
If the Packers focus TOO much on Gronk, they will get shredded elsewhere. Patsies are gonna run the Tampa Titan at them, hoping he will recreate his former Lambeau Field glory. I'm guessing 200+ rushing yards for the Patsies. They probably still lose though...

I was only being half sarcastic when I suggested in another thread that Adrian Hubbard spy Gronk the whole game and then don't let him get off the LOS by all but tackling him on every play. Of course, the tackling part might be the weakness of my plan.:-|

Bossman641
11-25-2014, 04:08 PM

I certainly hope so or he's even slower than I thought. He was getting roasted by Rudolph.

pbmax
11-25-2014, 06:14 PM
Sorry, pb. That was sarcasm. I should have included a smiley face or something. :whaa:

My bad. I'm having the 3-3 DTs.

wist43
11-25-2014, 07:29 PM
Just like 2010!!

He's your guy Max... sex was good in the beginning, so you make excuses for all the beatings he's given you since.

Battered Fan Syndrome ;)

wist43
11-25-2014, 07:40 PM

Your line is going to have a rotation of all those guys - depending on situation.

If it's either or, you should have Boyd or Guion on the field, along with Daniels and D.Jones/Perry. You've got Neal, Matthews and Peppers standing up.

If it's clearly a passing situation, your line should be D. Jones, Daniels, and Perry; and the same 3 LB's.

It's not that complicated - and I have news for ya, there's no rule that says you can't rush 5; nor is there any rule that says you can't play zone underneath, cheat your Safeties up, or double the TE.

Of course dunderdummy will revert back to his default gameplan against elite QB's which is to play the 2-4, and play softer and softer in coverage. Gronk could have 3 or 4 TD's, and Brady is going to go off. Not to mention the fact that they should run for 150+

If dunderdummy comes out in a 3-3 nickel, and plays it the way I've outlined, we might-could have a chance; but if he reverts to his nature?? Well, we've seen that show a million times - haven't we??

Bretsky
11-25-2014, 08:49 PM
Would you rather see Hawk?

I'd rather see a street free agent

Tyrion Lannister
11-25-2014, 09:34 PM
Burnett has to call coverages and adjustments from the backfield, someone needs to be make call neat the LOS for the LBs and lineman.

If Burnett held down both jobs, he could never line up deep. I believe Lattimore has had the radio and made calls before when Hawk was injured. He was out there with the short guy.

Radio communication is irrelevant pertaining to post-huddle communications/adjustments, as the NFL goes radio silence after the first 30 seconds or so of the play clock.

In other words, no reason Burnett can't handle the play call stuff.

Tyrion Lannister
11-25-2014, 09:39 PM
great minds think alike

Not really. You're wasting your great mind fighting for the "other" side.

End of discussion. I am just gonna leave it at that before Red gets mad. :)

Tyrion Lannister
11-25-2014, 10:06 PM

I was just watching an NFL Shortcuts of a 2012 Packers-Vikings game, and Hawk wasn't as reluctant a tackler then as he is now, but he still ran like shit then as he does now.

Hawk's not injured. He hasn't showed up on the weekly injury report. The guy's lost a step. That's the cold hard truth.

Harlan Huckleby
11-25-2014, 11:27 PM

Only about 100 people on talk radio have mentioned how slow Hawk looked. I noticed on three different plays where he looked hobbled. I can imagine that Big Mike could want to try and keep it under wraps.

If he's not injured, he's cooked.

Tyrion Lannister
11-25-2014, 11:45 PM
I'd rather see a street free agent

Quit fucking trolling. ;-)

mraynrand
11-26-2014, 06:59 AM

probably by a disgruntled fan

pbmax
11-26-2014, 08:06 AM
Your line is going to have a rotation of all those guys - depending on situation.

If it's either or, you should have Boyd or Guion on the field, along with Daniels and D.Jones/Perry. You've got Neal, Matthews and Peppers standing up.

If it's clearly a passing situation, your line should be D. Jones, Daniels, and Perry; and the same 3 LB's.

It's not that complicated - and I have news for ya, there's no rule that says you can't rush 5; nor is there any rule that says you can't play zone underneath, cheat your Safeties up, or double the TE.

Of course dunderdummy will revert back to his default gameplan against elite QB's which is to play the 2-4, and play softer and softer in coverage. Gronk could have 3 or 4 TD's, and Brady is going to go off. Not to mention the fact that they should run for 150+

If dunderdummy comes out in a 3-3 nickel, and plays it the way I've outlined, we might-could have a chance; but if he reverts to his nature?? Well, we've seen that show a million times - haven't we??

Capers might give you three down lineman given NE's running game. Though the bigger concern is likely Brady.

HOwever, this still leaves open a question. You said run 3-3 (Peppers/Matthews/Neal) and double Gronk. Who is doubling Gronk?

pbmax
11-26-2014, 08:09 AM
Radio communication is irrelevant pertaining to post-huddle communications/adjustments, as the NFL goes radio silence after the first 30 seconds or so of the play clock.

Coaches often talk through what the opponent is doing until that radio goes out. But the bigger question is: does Burnett make the secondary calls or does Dix have to do some when MB is near the LOS? Because if Dix is trusted then the second radio is perhaps more duplicate than necessary.

woodbuck27
11-26-2014, 08:20 AM
Capers might give you three down lineman given NE's running game. Though the bigger concern is likely Brady.

HOwever, this still leaves open a question. You said run 3-3 (Peppers/Matthews/Neal) and double Gronk. Who is doubling Gronk?

The biggest concern is what will we get from Bill Belichick?

How fast will MM and Dom Capers react to that?

mraynrand
11-26-2014, 11:36 PM
The biggest concern is what will we get from Bill Belichick?

How fast will MM and Dom Capers react to that?

Concise and sensible. Am I in the wrong universe?

Pugger
11-27-2014, 12:17 AM
I was just watching an NFL Shortcuts of a 2012 Packers-Vikings game, and Hawk wasn't as reluctant a tackler then as he is now, but he still ran like shit then as he does now.

Hawk's not injured. He hasn't showed up on the weekly injury report. The guy's lost a step. That's the cold hard truth.

I fear he has lost more than a step and he didn't have much of one to begin with.

Maxie the Taxi
11-27-2014, 08:21 AM
Concise and sensible. Am I in the wrong universe?

ET, phone home.

KYPack
11-27-2014, 08:42 AM

There are many reasons, "Shutdown".

Safeties don't wear the radio hat. The only safety I've ever seen with one is Ed Reed. Sure, give the job to the deepest guy who has never done it before.

That would make a lot of sense.

Rutnstrut
11-27-2014, 09:38 AM
For all you anti-Hawk people that say he doesn't contribute. If he is off the field for a significant amount of time, you will see just how much old, reliable AJ contributes.

HarveyWallbangers
11-27-2014, 09:47 AM
I want Sean Richardson as the dime LB. Clay on the outside. Hawk on the sidelines.

woodbuck27
11-27-2014, 09:57 AM
For all you anti-Hawk people that say he doesn't contribute. If he is off the field for a significant amount of time, you will see just how much old, reliable AJ contributes.

AJ Hawk is second on the Packers 'D with 77 tackles to SS Morgan Burnett (Ranked an NFL 12th with 84 in tackles}.

If you elevated AJ Hawk by 'only 2' tackles he would rank in the top 20 defenders in tackling in the NFL.

The issue with AJ Hawk is his to be desired pass coverage skills.

pbmax
11-27-2014, 10:00 AM

Are we allowed to say he is slow, getting slower (possibly due to injury) and a liability in coverage?

Because if I am not, then I might as well stop watching because my eyes will revolt and jump away from my brain.

pbmax
11-27-2014, 10:00 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/neal-elliott-next-men-up-on-packers-defense-b99398502z1-284115081.html#packers

Wait and see: Last week, linebacker A.J. Hawk was replaced by Brad Jones as the lone inside linebacker in the dime package. This week, Hawk isn't sure who will be there.

"I have no idea," he said. "It's a minute-by-minute thing probably."

wist43
11-28-2014, 12:26 PM

There ya go again Max... acting like nothing can be done out of a 3-3.

Who will cover who??? OH MY!!

I can see that you are in complete agreement with dunderdummy that the 2-4 is the only - the one and only - nickel front that can be run - ever. All other varieties of the nickel are ludicrous - right??

How would you double Gronk in the 2-4?? By using Brad Jones or AJ Hawk, along with a Safety?? Since both Jones and Hawk suck at every aspect of the game of football - how would you think that would turn out?? Rather I imagine you would think doubling Gronk an impossibility??

As for how I would do it - it's not rocket science, I'd bracket him with whichever LB and Safety he was lined up on. Underneath and over the top. Whether that LB is Matthews, Peppers or Neal wouldn't matter much except I'd scheme to dictate the matchup, instead of allowing the Pats to dictate the matchup.

That would pretty effectively take the seam route away from him, and if he's running a drag across the middle, I'd be in zone underneath so there would be plenty of traffic to intercept him coming across.

You act like doubling a player and taking him away from the offense is an impossibility... certainly dunderdummy thinks that - he never takes away an opponents #1 threat, he just sits back and hopes for the best.

If Perry misses the game - we'll be in big trouble. Chances are that b/c Perry isn't practicing this week, dunderdummy is preparing a gameplan that doesn't include Perry, i.e. he is going to play tons of 2-4. That being the case... I don't like our chances at all.

wist43
11-28-2014, 03:57 PM
Max... was just listening to the radio and they were interviewing a Patriots beat writer from the Boston Globe.

He says he expects Belichick to come out and doublt Jordy [bracket him], stick Revis on Cobb 1 on 1, and force Rodgers to beat them with our junk TE's, 3r WR, and anemic running game - those were my thoughts exactly. That is exactly what I am expecting to see from Belichick.

Will MM expect this?? He may expect it, but he will not adjust in any way... as he's said, they'll run what they run, and that's it.

As for our defense, I expect the same... dunderdummy won't do anything to stop Brady or Gronk... he'll just scheme to keep everything in front of him and let our defense bleed to death.

pbmax
11-28-2014, 08:35 PM
There ya go again Max... acting like nothing can be done out of a 3-3.

Who will cover who??? OH MY!!

I can see that you are in complete agreement with dunderdummy that the 2-4 is the only - the one and only - nickel front that can be run - ever. All other varieties of the nickel are ludicrous - right??

How would you double Gronk in the 2-4?? By using Brad Jones or AJ Hawk, along with a Safety?? Since both Jones and Hawk suck at every aspect of the game of football - how would you think that would turn out?? Rather I imagine you would think doubling Gronk an impossibility??

As for how I would do it - it's not rocket science, I'd bracket him with whichever LB and Safety he was lined up on. Underneath and over the top. Whether that LB is Matthews, Peppers or Neal wouldn't matter much except I'd scheme to dictate the matchup, instead of allowing the Pats to dictate the matchup.

That would pretty effectively take the seam route away from him, and if he's running a drag across the middle, I'd be in zone underneath so there would be plenty of traffic to intercept him coming across.

You act like doubling a player and taking him away from the offense is an impossibility... certainly dunderdummy thinks that - he never takes away an opponents #1 threat, he just sits back and hopes for the best.

If Perry misses the game - we'll be in big trouble. Chances are that b/c Perry isn't practicing this week, dunderdummy is preparing a gameplan that doesn't include Perry, i.e. he is going to play tons of 2-4. That being the case... I don't like our chances at all.

Only Matthews out of that group can cover Gronk. Peppers has no experience marking an All-Pro TE and Neal is not good in coverage. Peppers has excelled in dropping into zones and getting his 6' 7 " frame in the passing lane. Smart, solid football. But Gronk isn't going to be running a route to stand behind Julius. You will need to man up on him to double him.

The problem isn't your 3-3. Its that your 3-3 pulls Matthews out of the pass rush every snap unless you want a player inferior to Hawk/Jones in coverage. That is the conundrum and answers almost all of your questions about why Hawk and Jones still get snaps.

wist43
11-28-2014, 08:54 PM
Only Matthews out of that group can cover Gronk. Peppers has no experience marking an All-Pro TE and Neal is not good in coverage. Peppers has excelled in dropping into zones and getting his 6' 7 " frame in the passing lane. Smart, solid football. But Gronk isn't going to be running a route to stand behind Julius. You will need to man up on him to double him.

The problem isn't your 3-3. Its that your 3-3 pulls Matthews out of the pass rush every snap unless you want a player inferior to Hawk/Jones in coverage. That is the conundrum and answers almost all of your questions about why Hawk and Jones still get snaps.

oy vey...

You know enough about football to understand that when you double someone like Gronk, all you're really doing is bracketing him. It's not like you're playing bump and run on the outside. If he's running a drag or crossing pattern the safety over the top will stay with him and the zone players underneath need to be aware. By bracketing him up the middle you take the seam away from him, and the underneath zone should make life difficult as well.

As I said, I don't expect we'll see any of that on Sunday though. What I do expect, is to see Gronk running free all over the place.

As for your contention that Peppers and Neal can't play the underneath bracket, that is nonsense. Beyond that, I would argue that Jones and Hawk can't do anything - you'd rather have either one of them on the field?? That's nuts!! Neal is 10 times the athlete either Jones and Hawk are.

When we had the 3-3 in there, and Hawk and Jones were on the bench... we actually looked like a functional NFL defense. Of course dunderdummy went right back to his idiocy, and the only thing that kept the score down against Philly and Minnesota was lousy QB play. If Bridgewater were a competent NFL QB, we would have lost the Viking game; and Sanchez played like crap, or Philly would have posted a 40+ pt total on us.

For the personnel we have, the 3-3 is most logical and effective use of those players. The fact that dunderdummy doesn't see it is mindnumbing.

pbmax
11-28-2014, 09:19 PM
When we had the 3-3 in there, and Hawk and Jones were on the bench... we actually looked like a functional NFL defense. Of course dunderdummy went right back to his idiocy, and the only thing that kept the score down against Philly and Minnesota was lousy QB play. If Bridgewater were a competent NFL QB, we would have lost the Viking game; and Sanchez played like crap, or Philly would have posted a 40+ pt total on us.

I do not know of any bracket coverage that is zone underneath and man over the top. To shake Gronk free, all you would need to do is send the TE and another receiver into the short zone and wait for the LB to react. Or you can send Gronk across the formation, away from the safety help and throw in front of the other safety. How that would be an effective double while accounting for other receivers is unclear. Maybe I am simply unaware of this strategy but the brackets I know are under/over or inside/outside and both are man coverage.

As for Hawk/Jones being off the field in the 3-3 you saw:

See #50. That uni is AJ Hawk.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B2wGuQtCUAE5mMu.png:large

mraynrand
11-29-2014, 12:08 PM
\

He says he expects Belichick to come out and doublt Jordy [bracket him], stick Revis on Cobb 1 on 1, and force Rodgers to beat them with our junk TE's, 3r WR, and anemic running game - those were my thoughts exactly. That is exactly what I am expecting to see from Belichick.

Since you I, and everyone else seems to be expecting this, I expect Cheat to do something different.

mraynrand
11-29-2014, 12:09 PM
I'd just like to see someone try and doublt Nelson. Whatever doublt is (sounds like something you get at Burger King), Jordy will defeat it.