PDA

View Full Version : Hawk

b bulldog
08-29-2006, 04:14 PM
It is becoming very clear, as I stated before the draft, that Hawk needs a good line in front of him to keep the Olinemen off of him so he can use his speed to make plays. This is by no means a slam on Hawk, just that LB's are dependent on other positions in order for them to shine. IMO, Hawk should be the will, Hodge the Mike and Barnett the Sam. Most may disagree but this unit will get better and better eack week and in a few years, will be a league best.

Tony Oday
08-29-2006, 04:16 PM
And tom Brady is the best QB ever yup we get it...

b bulldog
08-29-2006, 04:23 PM
very intelligent answer!

b bulldog
08-29-2006, 04:25 PM
Brett was part of the problem last night along with everyone else.

Tony Oday
08-29-2006, 04:28 PM
If we would have Tom Brady though we would be Super bowl contenders? ;)

Just messing with ya.

You are right on your assesment on the LB and how wthey will prolly shake out but its not this year. Hodge is too much of a liability in coverage.

Sparkey
08-29-2006, 04:33 PM
It is becoming very clear, as I stated before the draft, that Hawk needs a good line in front of him to keep the Olinemen off of him so he can use his speed to make plays. This is by no means a slam on Hawk, just that LB's are dependent on other positions in order for them to shine. IMO, Hawk should be the will, Hodge the Mike and Barnett the Sam. Most may disagree but this unit will get better and better eack week and in a few years, will be a league best.

No different than Urlacher. His game took off when the Bears added some good interior tackles to the D.

gbpackfan
08-29-2006, 05:03 PM
No offense buddy, but it is easy to say that LB's look better when they have a good DL in front of them. Kind of stating the obvious. That beind said, I 100% agree with you. I also agreed with TT 100% when he drafted Hawk, and I still do!

HarveyWallbangers
08-29-2006, 05:13 PM
It's becoming clear that the Texans made a big mistake passing on Reggie Bush for Mario Williams also.
:D

rbaloha1
08-29-2006, 08:30 PM
Overall Hawk is not performing as someone picked as a #5 first rounder.

As a blitzer, Hawk has zero instincts and pass rush moves. I noticed when Hawk attempts speed rushes, blockers push him upfield and completely out of the play.

Hawk rarely gets off blocks and seems only to make plays when he is unblocked.

Very lackluster performance to date. Maybe Hawk's athletic skills one day consistently flourish.

Partial
08-29-2006, 08:58 PM
Overall Hawk is not performing as someone picked as a #5 first rounder.

As a blitzer, Hawk has zero instincts and pass rush moves. I noticed when Hawk attempts speed rushes, blockers push him upfield and completely out of the play.

Hawk rarely gets off blocks and seems only to make plays when he is unblocked.

Very lackluster performance to date. Maybe Hawk's athletic skills one day consistently flourish.

He's a rookie. He knows how to Blitz he's just getting mauled. You would think someone bare minmum of 70 pounds heavier than you (these guys are all muscle mind you) would be able to do that. When he reaches 260 in 4 years of weight lifting, he'll be a much better blitzer.

b bulldog
08-29-2006, 09:37 PM
Mario has made about as many tackles as Hawk and in regards to Bush, take his one big run out and he hasn't lit the league on fire but we will all see in a week or so, once these guys play for the entire game and everything counts.

HarveyWallbangers
08-29-2006, 09:40 PM
Brian Urlacher didn't start until his third game.

Mario Williams hasn't made many plays for Houston.
Reggie Bush has struggled his last two games.
Vince Young has struggled mightily.
D'Brickashaw Ferguson is getting heat in New York.
Vernon Davis is getting heat in San Francisco.

See a common theme? You have to give rookies more than a few weeks in the preseason to judge them. Hawk has flashed, so has these other guys. All you can hope for is to see them continue to develop as they get more comfortable.

b bulldog
08-29-2006, 09:43 PM
That is what I stated above but my guess is that he will never be a gamechanger without having two studs in front of him.

HarveyWallbangers
08-29-2006, 09:44 PM
Mario has made about as many tackles as Hawk

Mario has 4 tackles in 3 games (with 0 sacks). How is that "about as many" as Hawk's 13 tackles?

He was the #1 overall pick too.

gbpackfan
08-29-2006, 09:47 PM
Mario has been extremely disappointing. And Vernon Davis has NOT been a game changer. Hawk is doing as well, if not better, then the top picks. I still love the pick.

Deputy Nutz
08-29-2006, 09:48 PM
Seriously, the way the Packers have their linebacker blitz just baffles me, they have them lined up in such a position that it just gives the blitz away.

I do understand that sometimes they blitz their outside linebackers to keep outside contain on the QB. It looks like Hawk is getting ridden up field because our defensive ends are getting stonewalled up front.

But there are no twist with the linemen, with a linebacker blitzing through the open space that the twist created, there is no creativity with there blitz scheme.

Tell me how bad Hawk is at blitzing when he had 9.5 sacks his senior year? I guess I need to watch more than 3 preseason games before I assume that Hawk can't blitz

b bulldog
08-29-2006, 09:50 PM
I didn't think Hawk had that many but you are correct so that makes me wrong. Many for a LB isn't 13 but 0 sacks isn't great either. Mario will need a year to adjust(as I stated numerous times)and will be much better than Hawk. Mario has had some positive press about his play the last two games and the game I saw him play against the Rams, he had two hurries,a TFL and 2 assisted tackles and a batted pass IN A QUARTWER AND A HALF. That is pretty good although he needs to get the sacks and not just hurries.

Deputy Nutz
08-29-2006, 09:55 PM
Is Houston still running the 3-4? If so don't expect to many sacks from Maria Williams.

b bulldog
08-29-2006, 09:55 PM
Switched to a 4/3

digitaldean
08-29-2006, 10:09 PM

Agree 100%.

Barnett got mauled last night at the mike spot. Hodge may not cover the pass that well now. But can't they use the sam and will spots to cover the TE more?

We may not be that great at D right now, we might as well take our lumps at where the correct players should line up.

If Mr. Club 5-6 doesn't like it, tough. Hodge is a fireplug in the middle and belongs there.

MJZiggy
08-29-2006, 10:35 PM
What if they put Hodge in on obvious running downs and put Barnett in to defend the pass?