PDA

View Full Version : More Banjo: vs Patriots Week 13

pbmax
11-30-2014, 06:40 PM
Defense! Defense! Defense!

pbmax
11-30-2014, 06:41 PM
Shields concussion, Lattimore had an ankle I think.

Cardinals losing and would be tied with Packers for best record in NFC if it holds.

Maxie the Taxi
11-30-2014, 06:42 PM
The Pack D won that one without getting a turnover. Pretty damn impressive.

pbmax
11-30-2014, 06:42 PM
Really gave Aaron some time.

Judy Battista ‏@judybattista 14m14 minutes ago
You can see amount of respect Belichick has for Rodgers/McCarthy. Talked to both longer than usual after the game.

pbmax
11-30-2014, 06:43 PM
The Pack D won that one without getting a turnover. Pretty damn impressive.

Not their usual MO, I agree.

pbmax
11-30-2014, 06:45 PM
Aaron Schatz ‏@FO_ASchatz 21m21 minutes ago Framingham, MA
Damn. Packers o line has been very good today.

You have to hand it to Bach. he gets beat around the edge once or twice a game but he never quits or gives up and stays glued to the guy. Comes back and plays better as it goes along.

Tough son of a gun mentally. Great find with him, Linsley and Tretter I expect.

pbmax
11-30-2014, 06:46 PM
Packer bloggers were ReTweeting people bailing on the game after the Pat TD and the subsequent Packer FG.

Jersey Al - ALLGBP ‏@JerseyAlGBP 7s7 seconds ago
The #Patriots offense put up 34 points against the #Lions #1 ranked defense. And #Packers fans are still saying the GB D is not good enough.

Bossman641
11-30-2014, 06:46 PM
Barrington/CM3 were the nickel LB. CM3 was the dime LB. I wonder who wore the headset.

George Cumby
11-30-2014, 06:47 PM
Packer bloggers were ReTweeting people bailing on the game after the Pat TD and the subsequent Packer FG.

Jersey Al - ALLGBP ‏@JerseyAlGBP 7s7 seconds ago
The #Patriots offense put up 34 points against the #Lions #1 ranked defense. And #Packers fans are still saying the GB D is not good enough.

Shit. That was when the fun started.

pbmax
11-30-2014, 06:56 PM
McCarthy Post Game Presser

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 11s11 seconds ago
McCarthy: The end of the game is what you're looking for as a coach. All 3 phases made key plays down the stretch. #NEvsGB

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 1m1 minute ago
McCarthy: I thought Aaron (Rodgers) played extremely well. Did a great job extending plays from the pocket & buying WRs extra time. #NEvsGB

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 2m2 minutes ago
McCarthy: Playing against one of the greatest QBs that's played in this generation, it's a big win for us. #NEvsGB

pbmax
11-30-2014, 06:58 PM
Barrington/CM3 were the nickel LB. CM3 was the dime LB. I wonder who wore the headset.

Was Barrington nickel or base? Seemed like he was out there for a lot of the NE run plays.

Bossman641
11-30-2014, 07:00 PM
Was Barrington nickel or base? Seemed like he was out there for a lot of the NE run plays.

I believe nickel. Will have to see the snap counts later this week.

pbmax
11-30-2014, 07:21 PM
Rob Demovsky ‏@RobDemovsky 19m19 minutes ago
#Packers S Micah Hyde on beating the Patriots: "We told you guys this week it was just another game. We were lying."

pbmax
11-30-2014, 07:23 PM
Aaron Rodgers Post Game Presser

Green Bay Packers @packers · 15m 15 minutes ago
#Packers QB Aaron Rodgers (24-38, 368 yards, 2 TDs) is now at the podium. Watch live: http://pack.rs/248bn #NEvsGB

Green Bay Packers @packers · 17m 17 minutes ago
Rodgers: We moved the ball pretty efficiently all day, just kind of stalled in the red zone. #NEvsGB

Green Bay Packers @packers · 16m 16 minutes ago
Rodgers: They're a matchup defense. They wanted to try to take away Jordy (Nelson), so we tried to get Davante (Adams) involved. #NEvsGB

Green Bay Packers @packers · 14m 14 minutes ago
Rodgers on TD to Nelson before half: It was big. He made a great catch & he's been great in the open field. Athletic play at the goal line.

Green Bay Packers @packers · 12m 12 minutes ago
Rodgers: It's another character win for us. Eddie (Lacy) had another great game, some tough running. You have to run the football. #NEvsGB

Green Bay Packers @packers · 11m 11 minutes ago
Rodgers: Everybody contributed to this win, and that's what we told them in the huddle. #NEvsGB

pbmax
11-30-2014, 07:26 PM
Rodgers may not be elite because it wasn't a close win or a game winning drive, but he is ahead of Peyton Manning in one category; lifetime record versus Brady.

Rodgers 1-0

Manning 5-11

denverYooper
11-30-2014, 07:27 PM
It's the biggest win for them since the superbowl. Keep the mental edge at Lambeau; beat an elite QB; Defense is not a liability.

Both teams played a good, clean game and the home team held serve by clinching it on the last drive. That's the way it's supposed to look among the best.

denverYooper
11-30-2014, 07:30 PM
Rodgers may not be elite because it wasn't a close win or a game winning drive, but he is ahead of Peyton Manning in one category; lifetime record versus Brady.

That gets all of the run in the metrics community due to the arbitrary boundaries of said stats but that 3rd down throw to Cobb to kill the game was everything that is clutch.

BZnDallas
11-30-2014, 07:41 PM
That gets all of the run in the metrics community due to the arbitrary boundaries of said stats but that 3rd down throw to Cobb to kill the game was everything that is clutch.

Going against an earlier post I made... pay the man 9 million and be done with it...

pbmax
11-30-2014, 07:42 PM

Absolutely. And to be fair, the guy doing to research has been adding to it and trying to weed out defense and other influences. Scott Kascmar is legit and he knows its an outlier but finds it interesting, which it certainly is.

Problem is no other media outlet wants to look at context, they just want to argue and find fault. Kinda what we do here. But I trust the guy to do solid work on it. He acknowleged to Wilde on Twitter that it wasn't the whole story on Rodgers play and had multiple causes.

Don't know much about interception guy at 538, but he seems on the level too, though more convinced his finding should result in changes to approach.

pbmax
11-30-2014, 07:42 PM
Patriots 4-10 on 3rd down
Packers 10-17

Packers defense able to get off the field today.

I am stealing this for More Banjo. That's a huge deal for a D that usually yields long drives.

denverYooper
11-30-2014, 07:54 PM
Absolutely. And to be fair, the guy doing to research has been adding to it and trying to weed out defense and other influences. Scott Kascmar is legit and he knows its an outlier but finds it interesting, which it certainly is.

Problem is no other media outlet wants to look at context, they just want to argue and find fault. Kinda what we do here. But I trust the guy to do solid work on it. He acknowleged to Wilde on Twitter that it wasn't the whole story on Rodgers play and had multiple causes.

Don't know much about interception guy at 538, but he seems on the level too, though more convinced his finding should result in changes to approach.

Yes. I have to hand it to Captain Comeback on his continuing evolution. I really enjoy what the FO guys and their ilk have done in terms of redefining the general narrative that flows through typical talking-head analysis.

pbmax
11-30-2014, 08:24 PM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 9m9 minutes ago
#Packers QB @AaronRodgers12 told @ESPN's @RobDemovsky (in a press conference) that he did not need stitches for the gash on his left hand.

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 19m19 minutes ago
More @TJLang70: "I saw maybe 2 out of 20 [media] people picked us to win the game. That kind of lights a fire under your ass a little bit."
|
Jersey Al - ALLGBP ‏@JerseyAlGBP 17m17 minutes ago
@jasonjwilde So everyone pick the Falcons next week.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 39m39 minutes ago
More Mike Daniels: "We knew we had to exceed their intensity and bring our own intensity. This was very healthy for us."

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 37m37 minutes ago
Rob Gronkowski on his near TD in the fourth... "When my number is called, I have to come down with that play."

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 47m47 minutes ago
Mike Daniels on #Packers third-down sack... "That was awesome, that was clutch, that was a play that needed to happen.”

Jersey Al - ALLGBP ‏@JerseyAlGBP 48m48 minutes ago
Phone caller to WTMJ post game show - "Why isn't Jeff Janis getting a chance?" Really? That's what you call in with after this win? SMH

HARLAN CALLING IN TO THE TMJ POSTGAME SHOW!

pbmax
11-30-2014, 08:34 PM
Sam Farmer ‏@LATimesfarmer 1h1 hour ago
This is pretty amazing: The last time Aaron Rodgers was intercepted at Lambeau Field was Dec. 2, 2012.

pbmax
11-30-2014, 08:43 PM
Yes. I have to hand it to Captain Comeback on his continuing evolution. I really enjoy what the FO guys and their ilk have done in terms of redefining the general narrative that flows through typical talking-head analysis.

And the 538 INT guy will be celebrating the contested throw Rodgers made to Cobb to get the first down and seal the game.

pbmax
11-30-2014, 08:43 PM
From Wilde on Red Zone: http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=40&post_id=44461&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Red-zone blues: Had they lost, the Packers’ biggest regret would have been their red-zone inefficiency. They came into the game with the league’s ninth-best TD percentage in the red zone entering this week at 63.6 percent, and that was down from earlier in the year, when they were over the 70 percent threshold. On Sunday, though, they settled for four Mason Crosby field goals – Crosby also missed another – and their touchdowns came from 32 yards (Richard Rodgers) and 45 yards (Jordy Nelson). The other would-have-been regret: A drop by Davante Adams on what would have been a 4-yard TD catch on the final field-goal drive. Now Adams can enjoy the first 100-yard receiving game of his young career.

pbmax
11-30-2014, 08:52 PM
Proof pass rating isn't everything from JSO and Silverstein:

Brady was productive in posting a 102.7 passer rating on 22-of-35 passing with 245 yards and two touchdowns.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/284276481.html

Guiness
11-30-2014, 08:53 PM
Need to re-watch the 2nd half, I was not paying full attention. What happened to the O that scored on all but one possession in the first?

denverYooper
11-30-2014, 09:01 PM
Proof pass rating isn't everything from JSO and Silverstein:

Brady was productive in posting a 102.7 passer rating on 22-of-35 passing with 245 yards and two touchdowns.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/284276481.html

This on the sack... Peppers things that don't show up on the stats.

Julius Peppers drew a double-team and both Daniels and Neal beat their men to get to Brady.

denverYooper
11-30-2014, 09:05 PM
Also, HaHa had a nice game. Covered Gronk well when called and didn't let anything get behind him. He always looked to have a cap on things.

pbmax
11-30-2014, 09:06 PM
Hoody is setting them up for the rematch: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/284278381.html

Belichick shook hands with McCarthy and talked to him for far longer than the usual, "Nice game." It appeared like he was telling McCarthy that he had "a heck of a team."

pbmax
11-30-2014, 09:06 PM
Also, HaHa had a nice game. Covered Gronk well when called and didn't let anything get behind him. He always looked to have a cap on things.

Yep. He was very much involved in all facets, not just deep coverage. That was new.

BZnDallas
11-30-2014, 09:09 PM
Hoody is setting them up for the rematch: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/284278381.html

I agree with this so much PB. Hoodie will learn from this, his next game plan will be nothing like todays game IF there is a rematch later this year.

pbmax
11-30-2014, 09:25 PM
Belichick on Capers BEFORE the game, I transcribed from a pic on Twitter. Resolution wasn't great so any errors are mine.

Q: You mentioned earlier this week that Dom Capers has a background with Pittsburgh and the zone blitz is kind of related to that system.

BB: Yeah, they have a lot of them.

Q: What about that scheme challenges the offense, the zone …?

BB: Well, I'd say that the Pittsburgh system, the LeBeau system and the Capers system, the way it challenges you is that they bring everybody. Its not one, this guy or that guy. You have to block the SAM, the Mike, the Will. You have to block the strong safety. You have to block the corners eventually. Sometimes they bring one guy and drop a defensive lineman, so its a seven-man coverage. But, I’d say most of the time they bring two guys and drop one, so its a six-man coverage. So, three under, three deep or occasionally four under, two deep, which is also kind of matched. They do not always drop back and stand there in spots. They take certain guys who can actually play sort of like a man to man.

But I’d say the challenge with them is you have a lot of different guys coming. Its hard to say its him or its them or its them. You’re going to get them all. You’re going to get two up the middle, or two strong or two weak. You’re going to get secondary pressure from both sides and I think that when you come out of the game, you’ll say, ‘OK, they did this one a couple of times, they did that one once, this one once, that one once, that one once and another one a couple times’. It’s not like ‘OK, its going to be these two guys coming all day’. That’s not really what they do. Its a challenge.

Every protection you have, every play you have, potentially, if you hit the wrong thing, you’re going to be out-numbered. You could hit it right and have a favorable advantage but if you hit it wrong, then you kind of, its a tough play against that call. So if you’re trying to put together a 10, 12-play drive, [and] they have good field position, you don’t need too many of those plays, you know what I mean? You could give a couple little six-yard gains, but then you get a negative two and maybe that’s enough to stop the drive. I think that’s kind of the challenge of playing that type of system is avoiding negative plays, avoiding long yardage. Even though you could get two or three first downs, if you get one of those negative plays in there, now they have you in second and long or third and long and then you’re in trouble. So, I think that’s kind of the overall philosophy.

Pugger
11-30-2014, 09:28 PM

Ha Ha is gonna be a good one as will Adams. I don't know if he'll let another TD go thru his hands like that again in the near future.

pbmax
11-30-2014, 09:30 PM
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1m1 minute ago
After the game, Revis told Patriots reporters Jordy Nelson pushed off on his 45-yard TD, adding "I am not going to use that as an excuse."

Pugger
11-30-2014, 09:33 PM
After the game, Revis told Patriots reporters Jordy Nelson pushed off on his 45-yard TD, adding "I am not going to use that as an excuse."

Someone should remind Hoodie that they got away with hammering Jordy down to the ground in the end zone.

SMBASS
11-30-2014, 09:34 PM

I didn't notice any push off by Jordy on the TD play. It just looked like he beat Revis off of his inside cut and then ran away from him after the catch. I'll have to look closer at the replay if I get a chance to see it again.

denverYooper
11-30-2014, 09:36 PM

Revis played a good game. He doesn't have to lie because he got beat once by an elite player when he was shading the wrong way.

It's just too bad for him that the one time he got beat turned into 7.

pbmax
11-30-2014, 09:38 PM
I hope the Packers turn in the film from that Red Zone sequence when Nelson got Illegal Contact twice with no call in front of the back judge.

esoxx
11-30-2014, 09:55 PM
Sam Farmer ‏@LATimesfarmer 1h1 hour ago
This is pretty amazing: The last time Aaron Rodgers was intercepted at Lambeau Field was Dec. 2, 2012.

Ah yes, was at that game against Vikings. Was also Rodgers birthday.

BZnDallas
11-30-2014, 09:57 PM
Revis played a good game. He doesn't have to lie because he got beat once by an elite player when he was shading the wrong way.

It's just too bad for him that the one time he got beat turned into 7.

Gotta love Jordy sippin on coconuts on Revis Island! You could tell that one was special to Jordy. Instead of going for the Lambeau Leap, he headed to AR and shared a jump bump, or whatever that is...

Bossman641
11-30-2014, 10:18 PM
Revis saying Nelson pushed off is hilarious.

Freak Out
11-30-2014, 11:17 PM
Typical whiner.

George Cumby
11-30-2014, 11:30 PM
Revis saying Nelson pushed off is hilarious.

Just watched the replay. i couldn't see anything throug my homer colored glasses.

pbmax
11-30-2014, 11:40 PM
Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 3m3 minutes ago
Mason Crosby on Neal/Daniels sack: That sack there ended up being huge. ... Anything over 40 yards on that (south) side was a little tricky.

pbmax
12-01-2014, 07:48 AM
From JSO, this is when Barrington landed right on Edelman and hurt his leg. I don't feel too bad celebrating it because to was clean, but Edelman wasn't the same after this. He did have the big catch for a first down on their final drive though.

Linking is proving impossible, so go here to read about Barrington taking snaps from Hawk:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/barrington-takes-much-of-hawks-playing-time-b99399852z1-284289881.html#packers

Barrington played in the middle both with Clay Matthews and with Hawk. When the Packers were in nickel, it was Matthews and Barrington in the middle. When they were in their base 3-4, Matthews moved outside and Barrington lined up with Hawk in the middle.

pbmax
12-01-2014, 07:58 AM
Shields took elbow to head, not a knee. Lattimore had a foot.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/barrington-takes-much-of-hawks-playing-time-b99399852z1-284289881.html#packers

denverYooper
12-01-2014, 09:02 AM
Cobb's narrative on the last catch, from MMQB (http://mmqb.si.com/2014/12/01/patriots-packers-super-bowl-nfl-week-13/):

“I’m running an angle route there, under a couple of slant routes,” Cobb told me an hour after the game. Covered off the line by corner Logan Ryan, the matchup was favorable—until he saw linebacker Dont’a Hightower standing near where he was to angle, right in the middle of the field. Cobb peeked into the backfield and saw Rodgers was searching. He had no one open.

“That means it’s scramble mode,” Cobb said. “I just gotta get open. Scramble mode is more of a feel. I gotta find a hole. I know there are guys on the left running slants, and I don’t want to run into them. I looked at Davonte, and he flattened out his route, and I flattened mine out a little flatter, running left [behind Hightower]. I wanted to make my guy [Ryan] go high. I wanted Aaron to have a clear shot at me.”

Once Cobb was clear of Hightower, a step or two past him, Rodgers zinged the ball toward Cobb, maybe two yards past the first-down line. Now Devin McCourty came off Adams and joined Ryan in coverage of Cobb. But McCourty was just a split-second too late to break it up.

“Aaron put it right in there,” Cobb said. “Perfect.”

What do you remember when the ball was coming toward you?

“Nothing, really. I just know I gotta make the catch,” Cobb said.

Were you feeling the coverage on you—physically? Or do you just know they’re there?

“Honestly,” Cobb said, “I don’t know. I don’t recall. I guess I’ll see it when I watch the tape. I just think about putting the ball away and doing whatever it takes to catch it.”

He caught it. Game over.

pbmax
12-01-2014, 10:03 AM
Not bad. Signs at Lambeau picking it up a notch.

http://simmqb.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/fans.jpg?w=800&h=533

pbmax
12-01-2014, 10:19 AM
Just before a tip ball:

http://simmqb.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/tipped-pass.jpg?w=800&h=533

mraynrand
12-01-2014, 10:34 AM
I didn't notice any push off by Jordy on the TD play. It just looked like he beat Revis off of his inside cut and then ran away from him after the catch. I'll have to look closer at the replay if I get a chance to see it again.

Safety and/or Revis blew it anyway. Either Revis was supposed to stay inside and push Jordy up and out for the safety deep (which is the angle the safety took) or Revis did have outside technique and the Safety should have remained lower and inside, instead of taking the high angle. A mistake by one of those guys led to the score versus a 20 yard gain.

pbmax
12-01-2014, 10:53 AM
Defending Gronk:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-safeties-earn-draw-vs-gronk-b99399847z1-284287911.html

He went 7 for 98 and a near TD. Would they man up on him again? Capers has played Brady twice and its been mainly man to man each time versus that offense, even this year with a good running game.

gbgary
12-01-2014, 11:15 AM
saw this on twitter...Packers o-line: 2nd fewest hits in nfl, 3rd fewest hurries, 3rd fewest pressures. they've allowed 1 sack in last four games.

pbmax
12-01-2014, 11:33 AM
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 3h3 hours ago
At ILB, Sam Barrington plays 47 snaps, A.J. Hawk 26 for the #Packers. Notes from last night. Matthews 56 of 56. ... http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/barrington-takes-much-of-hawks-playing-time-b99399852z1-284289881.html …

pbmax
12-01-2014, 11:46 AM
Kerry J. Byrne ‏@footballfacts 2h2 hours ago
#Packers still No. 1 in Mother Of All Stats, Passer Rating Differential. No. 2 Denver not even close. http://buff.ly/1Cym5va @PackerReport

pbmax
12-01-2014, 02:30 PM
Normally would stick his Monday PC in the preview thread. But let's bask some more in the last win. We'll call it Victory Monday.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 2m2 minutes ago
McCarthy on Shields: Had a concussion. Will go through protocol. ... Jamari felt better today he did yesterday.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 2m2 minutes ago
Players get extra day off this week with the Atlanta game on Monday.

McCarthy on schedule: Thursday will be like a Wednesday this week. Wanted the players to have an extra day off.

McCarthy on red zone: Comes down to execution. Gives Patriots credit. Will be highlighted at practice this week.

PAD LEVEL! ALSO GENTLEMAN POINTS FOR NOT SUBLIMINALLY SAYING ILLEGAL CONTACT WHEN TALKING ABOUT RED ZONE

McCarthy: We talk about stacking success all the time. We've had a very good November & look to play even better in December. #Packers

McCarthy on rookies delivering: Three rookies on offense have done good job taking advantage of opportunities.

McCarthy on Sitton playing through injury: Heck of a player. Excellent pass protector. "It's a credit to him" that he's played so well.

STOP RUNING LEFT AND I PROMISE TO VOTE EARLY AND OFTEN FOR HIS PRO BOWL BERTH

McCarthy on low-key locker room... "They were mesmerized by the fact they had an extra day off."

McCarthy on the win: It was a fun locker room. There was a lot of build up throughout the week. A lot [went] into that game for both teams.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 46s46 seconds ago
On players not getting too high: Fun locker room. Good discipline and focus with the hype. Both teams played well. "They're probably tired."

McCarthy: "This is a very focused, disciplined football team."

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 1m1 minute ago
McCarthy: Players feeling urgency, even in winning. Offense in red zone, for instance.

McCarthy: This is our most consistent team in my nine years here. #Packers

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 1m1 minute ago
MM on Barrington: Starting to hit stride. Game slowing down. Playing more, thinking less.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 2m2 minutes ago
McCarthy on Barrington: "Sam is starting to hit his stride. ... He has put together two good weeks."

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 20s21 seconds ago
MM on Adams' big day: Has continued to improve. Natural receiver. Gifted, good size. This has been building.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 46s47 seconds ago
MM on Adams: "We don't force the ball in. Felt our TE's and other receivers would have other opportunities. Aaron spreads the ball around."

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 18s19 seconds ago
Cobb on backfield was a secondary concept that became featured more than he expected.

HE HAS LOTS OF IDEAS

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 11s12 seconds ago
McCarthy: "You have the ball for 70 plays, that's more opportunities for your players."

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 55s56 seconds ago
"It's been a while" since MM has seen so much three- and four-man rush. OL was exceptional in providing extra time.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 48s49 seconds ago
McCarthy on # of 3- and 4-man rushes: It's been a while. But a very disciplined rush. Aaron was able to get the job done from the pocket.

Guiness
12-01-2014, 02:40 PM
saw this on twitter...Packers o-line: 2nd fewest hits in nfl, 3rd fewest hurries, 3rd fewest pressures. they've allowed 1 sack in last four games.

There were a couple of times Rodgers sat back there looking for an open man for a ridiculous amount of time. They did a great job in pass pro yesterday.

Maxie the Taxi
12-01-2014, 02:47 PM
There were a couple of times Rodgers sat back there looking for an open man for a ridiculous amount of time. They did a great job in pass pro yesterday.

They covered well, but there were windows, just smaller ones. Any other QB wouldn't have been as selective and would have paid for it. Rodgers needs to be 100% confident the ball won't be intercepted before he passes. He's got a reputation to maintain. That's a compliment not a criticism.

gbgary
12-01-2014, 06:43 PM

those stats say they've done a great job the entire season. dal is supposed to have the best o-line, according to some...i wonder where they sit in those categories?

pbmax
12-02-2014, 08:49 AM
Greg A. Bedard ‏@GregABedard 8h8 hours ago
@TyDunne What was the pressure % I said in the blog the Packers needed to get to? 30%? How about 39.5%? That's W territory.

HarveyWallbangers
12-02-2014, 10:37 PM
I've read a few articles criticizing Hyde on the muffed punt return. How is it possible that some of the local media guys still do not understand the rule? There's no risk in what Hyde did--only potential benefit.

Maxie the Taxi
12-03-2014, 06:27 AM
I've read a few articles criticizing Hyde on the muffed punt return. How is it possible that some of the local media guys still do not understand the rule? There's no risk in what Hyde did--only potential benefit.

Is it settled science that a Patriot touched the ball first? I don't have a replay now to look at. From what I saw live it looked like Hyde was the first to touch the ball.

mraynrand
12-03-2014, 07:35 AM

I think Cheat decided to go with coverage, based on how Rodgers does against the blitz. Cheat was probably pretty disappointed he couldn't get consistent pressure with 3-4 guys.

mraynrand
12-03-2014, 07:35 AM
Is it settled science that a Patriot touched the ball first? I don't have a replay now to look at. From what I saw live it looked like Hyde was the first to touch the ball.

Hyde thought they touched it.

channtheman
12-03-2014, 07:37 AM

I know the rule and have for a while, his play was still stupid. Yes, it is true he cannot muff the punt, but if Hyde picks the ball up and maintains possession for even a split second he can now fumble the ball as normal. I envision him picking the ball up and without yet tucking it away having it knocked out of his hands. Fumble. Without going back and watching, I remember 6 Patriots surrounding him. This makes the potential for a decent return basically nothing while the potential for disaster slightly higher. Just leave the ball alone. It'll be brought back to where it was first touched anyway.

pbmax
12-03-2014, 07:57 AM
Well I can't speak for the media but I forget this rule every other year. So its possible.

Also, there was never any ruling on the field about the Patriots touching it so it was entered in the GameBook as a muff.

mraynrand
12-03-2014, 08:13 AM
Well I can't speak for the media but I forget this rule every other year.

How would you know?

Anyway, It is kind of a crazy rule - or rather circumstance that requires such a rule. And Chan's visions of disaster aside, I kinda like the nerve and confidence of Hyde to go after it and try to get yardage. Wonder what the coaches are telling him in the film room.

hoosier
12-03-2014, 08:16 AM
I know the rule and have for a while, his play was still stupid. Yes, it is true he cannot muff the punt, but if Hyde picks the ball up and maintains possession for even a split second he can now fumble the ball as normal. I envision him picking the ball up and without yet tucking it away having it knocked out of his hands. Fumble. Without going back and watching, I remember 6 Patriots surrounding him. This makes the potential for a decent return basically nothing while the potential for disaster slightly higher. Just leave the ball alone. It'll be brought back to where it was first touched anyway.

Then you don't know the rule. If Hyde picks the ball up after NE touches it, runs with it for a while and then fumbles, the Packers still have the option of taking the ball where NE first touched it.

channtheman
12-03-2014, 09:06 AM
Then you don't know the rule. If Hyde picks the ball up after NE touches it, runs with it for a while and then fumbles, the Packers still have the option of taking the ball where NE first touched it.

Yeah looks like I was wrong. I was always told you couldn't muff the punt but could still fumble as normal. It never made much sense to me and now I know why. :lol:

pbmax
12-03-2014, 09:54 AM
How would you know?

Anyway, It is kind of a crazy rule - or rather circumstance that requires such a rule. And Chan's visions of disaster aside, I kinda like the nerve and confidence of Hyde to go after it and try to get yardage. Wonder what the coaches are telling him in the film room.

Averaging number of times the rule has been brought to my attention after I complain about the call.

hoosier
12-03-2014, 10:02 AM
Yeah looks like I was wrong. I was always told you couldn't muff the punt but could still fumble as normal. It never made much sense to me and now I know why. :lol:

It makes a little more sense if you think of it like this: when the kicking team touches a punted ball beyond the LOS it is illegal touching. That's the technical term, even though you don't see penalty flags come out when it happens (unless the first toucher was OOB). If the kicking team illegally touches but doesn't kill the ball, the receiving team will always have the option of taking the ball where it was illegally touched.

mraynrand
12-03-2014, 10:14 AM
Yeah looks like I was wrong.....

Sure, but you still have a valid point about risk - it's just that the risk is Hyde knowing for sure whether the refs saw the ball hit an opposing player.

MadScientist
12-03-2014, 10:35 AM
Sure, but you still have a valid point about risk - it's just that the risk is Hyde knowing for sure whether the refs saw the ball hit an opposing player.

Not much of a risk because it would be a turnover, and any turnover gets reviewed. There are enough cameras that would show a touch.