PDA

View Full Version : Head Coach Exit Watch - Five NFL head coaches who will be fired. Really?

Pages : [1] 2

woodbuck27
12-01-2014, 06:01 AM
Monday 1 Dec. 2014

We're learning enough at this point in the season that this topic can be a part of our discussion:

For weeks now it's been Chicago Bears HC Marc Trestman is all but done with the Bears.

Last week we read that the NY Jets HC Rex 'Sexy' Ryan can pack his bags to leave New York. He's all but jettisoned.

Today all the news in New York is down on the Giants HC Tom Coughlin. The Giants blew a huge lead in Jacksonville and just handed the Jags that game.

I've seen some great stuff from all three of these men but when it's time to go ...it's time to go.

After the Thanksgiving Day loss to the Seattle Seahawks it was all dark for the 49ers HC Jim Harbaugh.

Yesterday Sunday Nov. 30, 2014 Atlanta HC Mike Smith and the Falcons had a huge win at home over the Arizona Cardinals. Was that enough for Mike Smith after all that has been bad for the falcons over the past two seasons? Mike Smith's name has come up for weeks as one Head Coach who will be removed.

Read On:

http://bloguin.com/thisgivensunday/2014-articles/five-nfl-head-coaches-who-will-be-fired.html

Five NFL head coaches who will be fired

Posted by Matt Verderame on Nov 29, 2014 14:59

woodbuck27
12-01-2014, 06:40 AM
http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2014/11/30/it-would-be-stupid-for-giants-to-fire-tom-coughlin/

11/30/2014 @ 11:48AM 2,045 views

It Would Be Stupid For Giants To Fire Tom Coughlin

woodbuck27
12-01-2014, 06:46 AM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2014/11/tony_dungy_calls_for_giants_coach_tom_coughlin_ste p_down.html

Sunday Nov. 30, 2014:

Tony Dungy calls for Giants coach Tom Coughlin to step down.

" Dungy said on NBC's "Football Night in America" that Couglin shouldn't be fired, but needed to step down. The Giants (3-9) have dropped seven straight and seem destined to finish with their worst record since Coughlin's first season with the team. "

Please click the LINK for the rest of this story.

Carolina_Packer
12-01-2014, 11:45 AM
That's ridiculous of Dungy to say that. Why would you leave that 7 million dollars (his projected 2015 base) on the table by leaving? Out of embarrassment? Please! Coughlin may get fired, but then at least he gets his buyout figure.

woodbuck27
12-01-2014, 01:34 PM
That's ridiculous of Dungy to say that. Why would you leave that 7 million dollars (his projected 2015 base) on the table by leaving? Out of embarrassment? Please! Coughlin may get fired, but then at least he gets his buyout figure.

Yes. Tom Coughlin works his tail off. The problems with that team shouldn't be focused on the teams Head Coach.

There is way too much other going on.

Tony Dungy surprized me. Tiki Barber's opinion didn't.

3irty1
12-01-2014, 01:47 PM
Coughlin? Why not Reese or Eli Manning?

I'd never fire Coughlin after two recent superbowls.

mraynrand
12-01-2014, 02:27 PM
Tom Coughlin should stay, unless forced into retirement due to the debilitating humiliation of rosacea.

VegasPackFan
12-01-2014, 05:34 PM
Harbaugh is out but it has nothing to do with performance. Management and by rumor many of the players hate him and want him out. He could win the SB and they would still trade him away.

Guiness
12-01-2014, 07:48 PM
Coughlin has nine lives - he's not going anywhere.
Trestman, well, that would be just like the Bears. Things aren't great this year, but it's not all on him, and it hasn't been a tire fire. He needs more time to show if he can get it right. Of course, if things continue to go bad, I'm all for him sticking around then too!
Ryan IS a tire fire. I'd say he's entering Matt Millen territory, but he could well succeed as DC - just get him out of that top job.
Who knows with Harbaugh. Did anyone see him and Kaepernick during the warmup before the Seahawks game? He was pounding on the QB's pad, then Kap did the same back to him and I couldn't decide if it was part of the pumping each other up, or if he was enjoying hammering his coach.
Smith? I'm sure I don't know. He seems to be without personality. Seems like that team should be ok, but it sure isn't.

woodbuck27
12-01-2014, 09:36 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/28/49ers-have-a-decision-to-make-about-harbaugh/

49ers have a decision to make about Harbaugh

Posted by Mike Florio on November 28, 2014, 12:27 AM EST

Note: The comments are interesting.

pbmax
12-02-2014, 07:58 AM
How do you solve a problem like JimHarbaugh?
How do you catch a man child, and pin it down?
How do you find a word that means JimHarbaugh?
A tantrum! A contortionist! A clown!

George Cumby
12-02-2014, 08:11 AM
How do you solve a problem like JimHarbaugh?
How do you catch a man child, and pin it down?
How do you find a word that means JimHarbaugh?
A tantrum! A contortionist! A clown!

Where will he land?
We know not where.
Where will he land?
Do we care?
In my heart, I hope he's a Bear!

woodbuck27
12-02-2014, 09:53 AM
http://www.bigblueview.com/2014/12/1/7312919/ny-giants-rumors-news-morning-report-tom-coughlin-absolutely-wants-to-continue-coaching

Giants Morning Report: Tom Coughlin 'absolutely' wants to continue coaching

By: Ed Valentine  @Valentine_Ed on Dec 1 2014, 7:53 AM

" If the New York Giants want to move on from the Tom Coughlin era, it certainly doesn't sound as if the 68-year-old head coach is going to make it easy on an organization that loves him. After the embarrassment of Sunday's 25-24 loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars, the Giants' seventh straight, Coughlin told Steve Serby of the New York Post that he "absolutely" wants to continue coaching."

Please click on the LINK for the rest of this story.

woodbuck27
12-02-2014, 09:57 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/wp/2014/12/01/tom-coughlin-and-the-firing-the-giants-dont-want-to-make/

Tom Coughlin and the firing the Giants don’t want to make

By: Cindy Boren ... December 1, 2014

" On Sunday, the New York Giants didn’t just lose, they fell to the Jacksonville Jaguars with a dispiriting performance that has the team pondering something it finds inherently distasteful.

Is it time for Tom Coughlin to go? "

woodbuck27
12-02-2014, 10:04 AM
Where will he land?
We know not where.
Where will he land?
Do we care?
In my heart, I hope he's a Bear!

From watching the Jim Harbaugh 'Watch'.

The best bet now seems to be a destination following the 2014 season with 'no move':

Oakland

Jim Harbaugh's wife is rumored to really like where she lives now. Jim Harbaugh can take over coaching in Oakland and remain in his existing dwelling. That makes 'Wife' happy.

I enjoy watching the manner in which Jim Harbaugh frustrates the media with their 'none of their business' questioning. He has one focus and responds to questions concerning that. That being that week and how he's preparing his team to win that weeks game.

MadScientist
12-02-2014, 01:05 PM
I was surprised the Oakland coach wasn't listed, but I guess it was too much of a stretch to consider them an NFL team.

Trestman was supposed to be an offensive guru and QB whisperer, but Cutler and company have regressed badly this year. The defense sucking up a storm certainly hurts him, but it is the offensive problems that will likely doom him.

Ryan is the anti QB whisperer. QB's steadily regress under his teachings. Just look at Sanchez (when not facing GB), vs anything he did in NY. It doesn't matter who they pick, Rex will wreck 'em.

Harbaugh may get the axe for personal reasons, but SF will likely get worse because of it.

Coughlin has enough hardware to survive, but the Giants will be in a tough position. I can't see them extending him at age 69 (next season), but teams hate to have a coach in the last season of his contract. Maybe if he announces that he will retire after 2015, he can get the players to rally around him.

Smith is a tough call. They are probably suffering some of the effects of trading up for Jones, but he is on thin ice. If he fired coordinators after last year, he may go, otherwise he might survive by firing the DC.

Fritz
12-02-2014, 01:16 PM
It's much more likely that Harbaugh goes to Oakland than he goes to where so many Michigan fans want him to, which is Ann Arbor.

Personally, I don't want him in Ann Arbor. He's a short-term guy - no matter where he goes, there will be general unhappiness and drama in about five years. That's not what's needed at ol' U of Michigan.

And I think the guy is an ass, personally.

Da Bears...do they ditch Cutler and keep Trestman, or are their fates entwined?

mraynrand
12-02-2014, 02:26 PM
I wanted Hairball at U of MI back when he was at Stanford, but now, not so much. I can't believe what a cock that guy turned out to be.

KYPack
12-02-2014, 08:18 PM
I was surprised the Oakland coach wasn't listed, but I guess it was too much of a stretch to consider them an NFL team.

Trestman was supposed to be an offensive guru and QB whisperer, but Cutler and company have regressed badly this year. The defense sucking up a storm certainly hurts him, but it is the offensive problems that will likely doom him.

Ryan is the anti QB whisperer. QB's steadily regress under his teachings. Just look at Sanchez (when not facing GB), vs anything he did in NY. It doesn't matter who they pick, Rex will wreck 'em.

Harbaugh may get the axe for personal reasons, but SF will likely get worse because of it.

Coughlin has enough hardware to survive, but the Giants will be in a tough position. I can't see them extending him at age 69 (next season), but teams hate to have a coach in the last season of his contract. Maybe if he announces that he will retire after 2015, he can get the players to rally around him.

Smith is a tough call. They are probably suffering some of the effects of trading up for Jones, but he is on thin ice. If he fired coordinators after last year, he may go, otherwise he might survive by firing the DC.
What about the other Smith? Lovie, that is.

Tampa is a train wreck, but guess not much was expected.

They blew last weeks game with Cincy by having 12 men on the field for 2 consecutive plays in the last minute.

woodbuck27
12-02-2014, 08:53 PM
It's much more likely that Harbaugh goes to Oakland than he goes to where so many Michigan fans want him to, which is Ann Arbor.

Personally, I don't want him in Ann Arbor. He's a short-term guy - no matter where he goes, there will be general unhappiness and drama in about five years. That's not what's needed at ol' U of Michigan.

And I think the guy is an ass, personally.

Da Bears...do they ditch Cutler and keep Trestman, or are their fates entwined?

I feel badly for Marc Trestman mainly because if he backed Jay Cutler...if he really believed that he could help improve Cutler as a NFL QB he was wrong.

Jay Cutler has to be removed in Chicago before that team has any real chance at playoffs and more. It looks to me like 'the Cutler NO Way' will take a decent man and coach down.

woodbuck27
12-02-2014, 08:54 PM

They blew last weeks game with Cincy by having 12 men on the field for 2 consecutive plays in the last minute.

Tampa Bay so had that game wrapped until that fiasco.

MadScientist
12-02-2014, 11:25 PM

With Lovie's past record, I don't think they will fire him after one season, given where Tampa was to begin with. There would have to be something else besides the record to get Lovie fired. Similarly with Jacksonville, I don't see them giving this coach the axe after one season, even if they do suck.

KYPack
12-03-2014, 06:41 AM
With Lovie's past record, I don't think they will fire him after one season, given where Tampa was to begin with. There would have to be something else besides the record to get Lovie fired. Similarly with Jacksonville, I don't see them giving this coach the axe after one season, even if they do suck.

Yer right.

Jax and TB don't have a lot of talent, but..

All game long, their front 7's are coming at you, looking to knock your dick off.

That's hard to instill in an NFL team and those clubs have that kind of mojo. If either club can put together an effective offense, they will improve next year.

The team that really impresses me is Buffalo. Their 7 guys are big, mean, fast and nasty. They need a lot to become big winners, but they play tough football where it counts all game long.

mraynrand
12-03-2014, 07:23 AM
The team that really impresses me is Buffalo. Their 7 guys are big, mean, fast and nasty. They need a lot to become big winners, but they play tough football where it counts all game long.

QFT. They made Joe Thomas look like Marshmallow Outhouse. That is gonna be one hell of a dog fight up there.

esoxx
12-03-2014, 11:06 AM

Except this is Bradley's 2nd year year in Jacksonville. His to date record is 6-22. If they lose out I could see the owner getting jumpy and bringing the ax.

woodbuck27
12-03-2014, 01:00 PM
QFT. They made Joe Thomas look like Marshmallow Outhouse. That is gonna be one hell of a dog fight up there.

Green Bay @ Buffalo isn't a TRAP game as that team offers a good challenge.

I believe I already posted that I rank the Bills @ NO. 8.

woodbuck27
12-05-2014, 07:08 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/rosenblog/chi-bears-packers-sunday-night-debacle-20141109-column.html

Why wasn't Marc Trestman fired at halftime?

BY: Steve Rosenbloom

Chicago Tribune ... srosenbloom​@chicagotribune.com

woodbuck27
12-05-2014, 07:09 AM
http://www.chatsports.com/chicago-bears/a/Top-10-Candidates-To-Replace-Marc-Trestman-If-He-Gets-Fired-10-16-691

Top 10 Candidates To Replace Marc Trestman If He Gets Fired

By Brian Rauf | Nov 30, 2014

woodbuck27
12-05-2014, 08:22 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/blog/chi-what-are-the-chances-of-marc-trestman-getting-fired-and-jim-harbaugh-replacing-him-20141203-story.html

What are the chances of Jim Harbaugh replacing Marc Trestman?

By: Brad Biggs

" I don’t expect we will hear from general manager Phil Emery, chairman George McCaskey or team president Ted Phillips until after the season is over. Those are the only three men with a good idea where this thing is headed at this point.

And McCaskey might be the only man with true insight into where this is headed as he’s widely believed to be the person who made the decision to oust former GM Jerry Angelo after the conclusion of the 2011 season. "

woodbuck27
12-05-2014, 10:26 PM
It's not a HC yet a coach at a significant position and someone most of us are familiar with was released from his contractual obligations today to pursue other opportunities.

Here is the story:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000439120/article/jeff-tedford-tampa-bay-buccaneers-part-ways

Jeff Tedford, Tampa Bay Buccaneers part ways

By: Marc Sessler ... Around the NFL Writer

Published: Dec. 5, 2014 at 02:12 p.m. .... Updated: Dec. 5, 2014 at 08:18 p.m.

woodbuck27
12-05-2014, 10:48 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago-bears/post/_/id/4696242/marc-trestman-no-staff-changes-on-horizon

Marc Trestman: No staff changes on horizon

December, 5, 2014 ... 6:28 PM ET

By: Michael C. Wright | ESPN.com

LAKE FOREST, Ill. --

" Marc Trestman's weekly meeting with general manager Phil Emery in the wake of the Chicago Bears' 41-28 loss to the Dallas Cowboys on Thursday night won’t yield any changes to the coaching staff.

Trestman made that clear Friday, in addition to reiterating he has received unwavering support from Emery and ownership inside Halas Hall. "

woodbuck27
12-06-2014, 04:58 AM
It's not a HC yet a coach at a significant position and someone most of us are familiar with was released from his contractual obligations today to pursue other opportunities.

Here is the story:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000439120/article/jeff-tedford-tampa-bay-buccaneers-part-ways

Jeff Tedford, Tampa Bay Buccaneers part ways

By: Marc Sessler ... Around the NFL Writer

Published: Dec. 5, 2014 at 02:12 p.m. .... Updated: Dec. 5, 2014 at 08:18 p.m.

http://espn.go.com/blog/tampa-bay-buccaneers/post/_/id/7801/buccaneers-need-to-move-on-from-jeff-tedford

Buccaneers needed to move on from Jeff Tedford

December, 5, 2014 4:23 PM ET

By: Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com

CaptainD
12-06-2014, 09:19 AM
The Buccaneers have owners that don't care right now so guessing Lovie has a couple years there. The Bears created a mess and has no clue how to undo it...I say 4 more years of Trestman !!! :five:

The easy ones are the Jets and Raiders where a new HC is on the way. Actually think Rex fits the Raiders style and might be a good thing for them. He just needs to hire a really good OC and make sure Mark D the owner understands it takes time to rebuild a roster.

Good thread !

woodbuck27
12-06-2014, 09:52 PM
Add the Washington Redskins HC Jay Gruden to the watch list:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/06/report-snyder-allen-may-side-with-rg3-and-fire-gruden/

Report: Snyder, Allen may side with RG3 and fire Gruden

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 6, 2014, 5:17 PM EST

" The issue is that while Gruden appears to have concluded that Griffin isn’t the right person to be the franchise quarterback, owner Dan Snyder and G.M. Bruce Allen may not be on board with that conclusion. And if Snyder and Allen ultimately decide that they want Griffin to be their quarterback, while Gruden is adamant that he can’t win with Griffin, Snyder and Allen may decide to move on. "

Comment woodbuck27:

Isn't this becoming another soap box opera.

woodbuck27
12-07-2014, 08:42 AM
On NFL Total Access this Morn' Sunday Dec. 07, 2014:

Ian Rapaport reports that Chicago Bears 2nd year DC Mel Tucker will be done and replaced at the conclusion of this year.

In further news out of Chicago. it's being reported that the Bears aren't at all enamoured with QB Jay Cutler's performance. He has one more year of guaranteed money remaining in his current contract. The Chicagho Bears would trade him if some NFL team would just pick up his contract. Ohh sure !

It's so bad that it's rumoured to be the case that when the Bears fell behind Tampa bay in Week 12 that consideration was given to pulling Cutler at half time. The issue then became his backup Jimmy Clausen CANNOT BE DEPENDED ON. LOL.

So it appears to me that you can bet that Jay Cutler gets another kick at the can in 2015. After that something will have to give and starting QB for the Bears if Jay Cutler continues to SUCK.

pbmax
12-07-2014, 10:23 AM
PT Barnum was right.

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet · 55m 55 minutes ago
A surprise head coaching candidate: Former #49ers coach Mike Singletary. Several high-ranking people believe he’ll have a head job in 2015.

George Cumby
12-07-2014, 10:53 AM
^ :shock::shock:

pbmax
12-07-2014, 11:11 AM
^ :shock::shock:

It would almost be unfair fun if the Bears were to hire him. They'd probably have to dump the GM but you never know.

digitaldean
12-07-2014, 11:13 AM
If Harbaugh leaves/gets traded from the FortyWhiners, who goes there? Harbaugh is a very good coach, but he hasn't won a title yet, but he is acting like Holmgren did at the end, thinking he can gather and coach the talent. Let's see if someone dumb enough, COUGH, Oakland, COUGH, COUGH may be a destination.
ATL job probably is open, lot of talk about Washington, being dumb enough to hang onto RG3 and dump the coach. Maybe it's because that Gruden is stupid enough to think he can build around Colt McCoy.
Rex Ryan is gone in New York. The only thing that could save Coughlin with the Giants is that the Mara/Tisch family are very loyal. If the GMen tank it, he'll be out.
Lovie's show is a train wreck in TB, but the team may give him one more year.
Bradley's team does have moxie but if Shad Khan wants to remove the tarps from some of those seats in JAX, he needs to get a winner soon.
If Chicago is stupid enough to keep Trestman and Cutler, I hope the Muppets of the Midway enjoy the NFC North cellar, they'll stay there until they dump them both. (and learn how to rebuild that defense)

pbmax
12-07-2014, 01:03 PM
Harbaugh is doing a full court press on the Raiders. He had an interview with a Bay Area guy this week with all of his fond recollections of Al Davis from the two years he was the QB coach and studied at Al's knee.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2014/12/01/jim-harbaugh-unplugged-49ers-coach-shares-cherished-memories-from-his-time-with-raiders-al-davis/

George Cumby
12-07-2014, 03:31 PM
It would almost be unfair fun if the Bears were to hire him. They'd probably have to dump the GM but you never know.

I would actually feel bad for the Bears if the picked Singletary up. HC is definitely one tier above his level of maximum competence.

Joemailman
12-07-2014, 07:47 PM
Harbaugh is doing a full court press on the Raiders. He had an interview with a Bay Area guy this week with all of his fond recollections of Al Davis from the two years he was the QB coach and studied at Al's knee.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2014/12/01/jim-harbaugh-unplugged-49ers-coach-shares-cherished-memories-from-his-time-with-raiders-al-davis/

Would the Raiders want a coach who was bad enough to lose to them?

pbmax
12-07-2014, 08:20 PM

That is precisely the impression he WANTED to leave, if you are a Raiders fan who now thinks Harbaugh lost on purpose to strengthen the Sparano regime and deny the Raiders his presence while driving up interest.

mraynrand
12-07-2014, 10:12 PM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-snGtuirDlvU/T2aSYy9GrDI/AAAAAAAAALQ/I3NzvE3dPA8/s1600/corpse+smell+of+mccarthyscareer.png

I think that's hairball on the left

woodbuck27
12-08-2014, 09:57 AM

It's the Raiders.

Off topic:

Fritz is right. The NFL is becoming weird.

It piss's me off that the officiating is so dominant in too many game as far as game outcomes are concerned.

Home field advantage is pretty much up in the air.

Thank goodness and to keep it exciting. On any given Sunday any given team can win, prevails.

woodbuck27
12-08-2014, 10:16 AM
http://www.numberfire.com/nfl/news/3831/why-marc-trestman-deserves-another-year-with-the-chicago-bears?utm_source=outbrain&utm_medium=all_rss&utm_campaign=ob_all_rss

Why Marc Trestman Deserves Another Year With the Chicago Bears

By: Dan Pizzuta on Dec 2nd, 2014

" Chicago’s ** step back ** may not be all on the shoulders of Trestman. " the author

** On both sides of the ball.

woodbuck27
12-11-2014, 08:35 PM
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/on-the-hot-seat/vi-BBgC2I0

On the Hot Seat

120 Sports

Duration: 02:13 1 day ago

Which coaches are in position of losing their jobs? Our guys give you their list for the five coaches on the hottest of hot seats.

Guiness
12-11-2014, 09:50 PM
Add the Washington Redskins HC Jay Gruden to the watch list:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/06/report-snyder-allen-may-side-with-rg3-and-fire-gruden/

Report: Snyder, Allen may side with RG3 and fire Gruden

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 6, 2014, 5:17 PM EST

Doesn't Gruden have a 5 year fully guaranteed contract??? Holy smokes, that is a sweet deal.

woodbuck27
12-14-2014, 11:12 AM
Add Miami's HC Joe Philbin to the watch list.

" Speaking on GameDay Morning Sunday, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported that the futures of Tom Coughlin and Joe Philbin could be determined by whether their respective teams sinks or swims over the last three games. "

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000443052/article/tom-coughlin-joe-philbin-on-coaching-hot-seat

Fritz
12-14-2014, 11:26 AM
Would Philbin come back to GB as OC if he's fired, or will he end up as the head coach of the University of Michigan?

And is the Chicago Bear GM in trouble?

I think Harbaugh has turned down Michigan; his wife likes the Bay Area. I see the next coach of the Oakland Raiders there.

If the Packers fire Dom, would they consider hiring sexy Rexy Ryan next year? Maybe lure him back to a DC position with a promise of free pedicures for his wife?

woodbuck27
12-15-2014, 11:52 PM
Doesn't Gruden have a 5 year fully guaranteed contract??? Holy smokes, that is a sweet deal.

Things should quiet down there:

Gruden's named RG III as his starting QB for the Week 16 game hosting Philly @ Washington.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000444427/article/washington-redskins-plan-to-start-rgiii-vs-eagles

woodbuck27
12-16-2014, 12:39 AM
http://www.chicagobears.com/multimedia/videos/Uncut-Trestman-Presser-121514/62289c6c-013e-4b88-b94d-7dce38165633

Uncut Bears HC Marc Trestman ... Post MNF Presser Saints @ Bears 15 Dec. 2014.

mraynrand
12-16-2014, 07:16 AM
I would actually feel bad for the Bears if the picked Singletary up. HC is definitely one tier above his level of maximum competence.

So true, so true. I always loved the incongruous juxtaposition of the angry killer Singletary and the thoughtful sophisticate Singletary with his study glasses. Singletary: "Essentially, the central objective of professional football is to take the opponents' motherfucking head off"

http://thyblackman.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Mike-Singletary.jpg

pbmax
12-16-2014, 08:55 AM
"Can't win with them. Can't."

George Cumby
12-16-2014, 09:12 AM
P

If the Packers fire Dom, would they consider hiring sexy Rexy Ryan next year?

It'll never happen due to timing, but Vic Fangio will most likely be kicked loose in the upcoming Niners purge. He coaches a mean defense. I Fantasize about Vic.

woodbuck27
12-16-2014, 11:36 AM
P

It'll never happen due to timing, but Vic Fangio will most likely be kicked loose in the upcoming Niners purge. He coaches a mean defense. I Fantasize about Vic.

I fantasize having Pro Bowl caliber players on 'D'.

Striker
12-16-2014, 11:38 AM
P

I think he'll be one of main head coaching candidates coming into the offseason.

Fritz
12-16-2014, 12:58 PM
How old is Fangio? Hasn't he been around the block a few times? Mebbe he's getting too old to get a shot as a head coach....maybe there's hope that he could land in GB, with Dom's post-Super-Bowl-win retirement.

or something.

woodbuck27
12-16-2014, 01:02 PM
How old is Fangio? Hasn't he been around the block a few times? Mebbe he's getting too old to get a shot as a head coach....maybe there's hope that he could land in GB, with Dom's post-Super-Bowl-win retirement.

or something.

$ Save money $

Why don't the Packers simply dump Dom Capers and use his Bobble Head Doll to coordinate instead?

or something.

Tyrion Lannister
12-16-2014, 06:38 PM
$ Save money $

Why don't the Packers simply dump Dom Capers and use his Bobble Head Doll to coordinate instead?

or something.

lol

woodbuck27
12-16-2014, 07:08 PM
http://www.numberfire.com/nfl/news/3831/why-marc-trestman-deserves-another-year-with-the-chicago-bears?utm_source=outbrain&utm_medium=all_rss&utm_campaign=ob_all_rss

Why Marc Trestman Deserves Another Year With the Chicago Bears

By: Dan Pizzuta on Dec 2nd, 2014

" Chicago’s ** step back ** may not be all on the shoulders of Trestman. " the author

** On both sides of the ball.

Here's the main reason Marc Trestman needs to be fairly given more time.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B5A_nhgIcAAMdm_.jpg

woodbuck27
12-16-2014, 11:48 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000443122/article/silver-divorce-is-inevitable-in-san-Francisco

Silver: Divorce is inevitable in San Francisco

By: Gregg Rosenthal ... Around The NFL Editor

Published: Dec. 14, 2014 at 01:34 p.m. ... Updated: Dec. 14, 2014 at 04:32 p.m.

woodbuck27
12-17-2014, 03:55 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000445186/article/trestman-theres-accountability-in-bears-building

Trestman: There's accountability in Bears' building

By Marc Sessler ... Around the NFL Writer

Published: Dec. 17, 2014 at 02:41 p.m. ... Updated: Dec. 17, 2014 at 03:02 p.m.

woodbuck27
12-17-2014, 04:49 PM
OK HERE'S BAD NEWS FOR BEARS HC Marc Trestman:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/NFL/2014/12/16/22135516.html

Bears' Trestman likely to be fired: Report

Comment woodbuck27:

I'm sorry to see this happen to Marc Trestman.

It's likely far better for him to get out of there. He inherited a team in trouble with a QB that I can't see any NFL team enamoured with. He's the HC and not the Bears GM.

He tried to work with Jay Cutler. He didn't $$$Extend$$$ Cutler.

He's not responsible for the Bears situation on the defensive side of the ball.

This decision sucks for Marc but I believe overall it's for his best interests to get the "H" out of Chicago.

That team is in a real mess.

woodbuck27
12-17-2014, 06:02 PM
OK HERE'S BAD NEWS FOR BEARS HC Marc Trestman:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/NFL/2014/12/16/22135516.html

Bears' Trestman likely to be fired: Report

Comment woodbuck27:

I'm sorry to see this happen to Marc Trestman.

It's likely far better for him to get out of there. He inherited a team in trouble with a QB that I can't see any NFL team enamoured with. He's the HC and not the Bears GM.

He tried to work with Jay Cutler. He didn't $$$Extend$$$ Cutler.

He's not responsible for the Bears situation on the defensive side of the ball.

This decision sucks for Marc but I believe overall it's for his best interests to get the "H" out of Chicago.

That team is in a real mess.

HOLD on this:

I just learned on the NFL Network that da Bears have made a sudden move to BENCH Jay Cutler and NFL Sources are saying that the Organization will make every effort to unload Cutler and his huge contract this off season that includes $15.5 M$. The BEARS are done with Jay Cutler and want him gone at any cost.

Moving past Jay Cutler.

The word is it will be Jimmy Clausen as the starter Vs Detroit this week.

Here it is:

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/12043769/chicago-bears-start-jimmy-clausen-jay-cutler-week

Maybe Marc Trestman may be saved after all. This may be a bid by the Bears GM, HC and OC and a group think to switch fron Jay Cutler to try to save their jobs?

I believe that the best answer in Chicago is get rid of Jay Cutler. This time it's the player THAT MUST GO !

Good Luck Marc Trestman.

woodbuck27
12-17-2014, 06:04 PM
News spinning out of the NFL Network:

Jim Harbaugh has a handsome offer on the table to return home and coach Michigan.

He'll be paid top dollars or nearly so to coach in College. 6 Years at $49 M$.

OK I found this and right now it's still conjecture:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12043761/san-francisco-49ers-coach-jim-harbaugh-said-considering-michigan-job

George Cumby
12-17-2014, 11:01 PM
I fantasize having Pro Bowl caliber players on 'D'.

Nice. Well played.

woodbuck27
12-18-2014, 05:49 AM
http://www.chicagobears.com/news/article-1/Trestman-focused-on-coaching-duties/3f32ccbc-b9eb-4e3e-b4fc-26b81beb04a2

Trestman focused on coaching duties

Posted 12 hours ago

BY: Larry Mayer - Bears Senior Writer

woodbuck27
12-18-2014, 06:31 AM
http://www.chicagobears.com/news/article-1/Coach-unable-to-get-most-from-Cutler/3403f21d-f3c3-439f-88fa-df918614391e

Coach unable to get most from Cutler

Posted 14 hours ago

BY: Larry Mayer - Bears Senior Writer

Also:

** Chicago Bears @ChicagoBears

· 18h 18 hours ago

#Bears coach Marc Trestman tells media he's not thinking about job status, focusing only on coaching team to best of ability.

** Chicago Bears @ChicagoBears

· 18h 18 hours ago

Trestman on criticism directed at Jay Cutler: "Our whole football team isn't where it needs to be and no one is happy about that."

woodbuck27
12-23-2014, 01:33 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000448678/article/reports-pittsburgh-will-hire-pat-narduzzi-as-coach

Reports:Pittsburgh will hire Pat Narduzzi as coach

" There have been 14 coaching vacancies this offseason, and 13 of them -- all but Michigan -- have been filled. (Michigan has its sights set on Jim Harbaugh.) "

By: Mike Huguenin

College Football 24/7 writer

Published: Dec. 23, 2014 at 01:34 p.m. ... Updated: Dec. 23, 2014 at 01:46 p.m.

woodbuck27
12-25-2014, 09:05 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/25/lance-briggs-happy-with-robbie-goulds-comments/

Lance Briggs “happy” with Robbie Gould’s comments

Posted by Josh Alper on December 25, 2014, 12:15 PM EST

" Earlier this week, Bears kicker Robbie Gould took issue with coach Marc Trestman’s decision to bench quarterback Jay Cutler in Week 16 and said it was a sign that “this whole season’s not the Bear way” in terms of dealing with the issues facing the team."

“I certainly know what the ‘Bear way’ is, I lived it for many years. We always did a really good job of protecting what’s in our house, that locker room. If we had any issues, we handled it within that locker room and we protected ourselves from the outside,” Briggs said, via the Chicago Tribune.

“There were a number of things that ended up slipping out that shouldn’t have. There was a lot of drama and there was more of a focus on what was happening off the field than what there was on the field and everything just kind of mounted and mounted on top of each other.”

woodbuck27
12-27-2014, 04:39 PM
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/12083468/rex-ryan-told-friend-expects-fired-new-york-jets

Sources: Rex Ryan bracing for ouster

Updated: December 27, 2014, 5:21 PM ET

Fritz
12-28-2014, 07:19 AM
I can't believe anyone would hire sexy Rexy as a head coach, unless he's in a foot fetish league.

But he's a heck of a defensive coordinator.

woodbuck27
12-28-2014, 09:12 AM
It looks like New York Jets owner Woody Johnson will deliver the knock out punch to both Rex Ryan and Jets GM John Idzik.

The clue that this will 'in fact' be the case is Johnson's hiring of Charlie Casserlly and his reaching out to former Packer GM Ron Wolf to try and mend things in the jets organization.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2014/12/charley_casserly_already_working_to_find_replaceme nts_for_jets_rex_ryan_and_john_idzik_per_sources.h tml

Rex Ryan cleans out his desk as Charley Casserly starts contacting possible replacements for Jets' coach and GM John Idzik

woodbuck27
12-28-2014, 09:19 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/27/full-blown-bears-house-cleaning-could-be-coming/

The Chicago Bears:

Full-blown Bears house-cleaning could be coming

Posted by Mike Florio on December 27, 2014, 10:32 AM EST

Bears quarterback Jay Cutler’s predictions regarding the team’s future could end up being a lot more accurate than many of his passes this year.

Cutler recently acknowledged that “everyone could get axed.” There’s chatter in league circles that that could indeed be the case.

By “everyone,” the scuttlebutt includes everyone. From coach Marc Trestman to G.M. Phil Emery to team president Ted Phillips, who has held the position for nearly 16 years.

Comment woodbuck27:

The moral of the story if this takes place:

Don't mess with jay Cutler. LOL

woodbuck27
12-28-2014, 10:48 AM
It sure looks according to Ian Rapaport that Marc Trestman is all in on being done with Jay Cutler to save his job. That his lack of success as the Bear HC is a direct relationship with Jay Cutlers poor play this season.

It's just too weird that Jay Cutler is starting Vs Minny today.

According to reports:

Jim Harbaugh is very possibly being considered as the next Bears HC.

Michigan is stomping at the bit to talk to Jim Harbaugh formally after the 49ers game is completed later today.

It's also now being reported:

That earlier this year Michigan sent out a feeler to Sean Peyton to be the new HC. If that's true was Jim Harbaugh an after thought?

pbmax
12-28-2014, 07:29 PM
If you want to kill some time with some laughs at Michigan fans expense, I suggest heading over to Tim Kawakami's Twitter feed. Ever since his report (or confirmation) that Harbaugh prefers to stay in the NFL, he has been feeling the wrath of the Maize and Blue faithful (all 256 of the vocal ones - the rest are very quiet).

https://twitter.com/timkawakami

Helping out matters are apparently several fake Kawakami accounts taking pot shots at Michigan in his name (he is actually a reported for the San Jose Mercury News). Last I checked, Kawakami was handling it with good humor and grace.

pbmax
12-28-2014, 08:03 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 51m51 minutes ago
#49ers announced Jim Harbaugh is no longer their coach & “is now free to consider his next coaching opportunity without any constraints.”

@RapSheet also reports that UM is literally standing by for Harbaugh if he wishes to go directly to Ann Arbor.

Some chatter the Bears will take the chance to talk to him since he has been released, as it will not be tampering.

pbmax
12-28-2014, 08:13 PM
Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB 33m33 minutes ago
Jim Harbaugh is scheduled to take a 10 AM PT flight on a private jet to #Michigan Monday morning, source tells @FoxSports.

woodbuck27
12-28-2014, 09:21 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000451073/article/coaching-change-tracker

Coaching change tracker

By Gregg Rosenthal ... Around The NFL Editor

Published: Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:10 p.m. ... Updated: Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:16 p.m.

woodbuck27
12-29-2014, 07:43 AM
Could we soon learn of news out of Chicago that resembles this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Valentine's_Day_Massacre

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5c/Valentine_Day_massacre.jpg

woodbuck27
12-29-2014, 07:47 AM
http://deadspin.com/rex-ryan-just-wants-to-get-fired-already-1675793526

Rex Ryan Just Wants To Get Fired Already

Yesterday 1:19pm

Comment woodbuck27: The NFL Network Morning Show is reporting that 'in fact' Rex Ryan and now former Jets GM John Idzik have been let go.

I don't like the word 'FIRED" as it seems harsh/judgemental.

http://www.businessinsider.com/rex-ryan-fired-2014-12

woodbuck27
12-29-2014, 08:37 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000451246/article/atlanta-falcons-fire-coach-mike-smith

Atlanta Falcons fire coach Mike Smith

By: Kevin Patra ... Around the NFL writer

Published: Dec. 29, 2014 at 09:26 a.m. ... Updated: Dec. 29, 2014 at 09:31 a.m.

Comment woodbuck27: A few weeks ago Mike Smith felt secure in his job.

I watched a part of that game yesterday and he looked stunned on the sideline in Carolina's blowout win over the Falcons at home.

woodbuck27
12-29-2014, 08:42 AM
http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/12086818/some-chicago-bears-coaches-fear-losing-jobs

Some Bears coaches fear firings

While it comes as no surprise given the team's struggles, at least three members of the Chicago Bears coaching staff expect coach Marc Trestman and the staff to be let go after the regular-season finale Sunday at Minnesota.

Andrew Weber/USA TODAY Sports

" The staff hasn't yet been told of general manager Phil Emery's or ownership's intentions, but one staffer said he'd be "shocked" if sweeping changes aren't made. "

Updated: December 28, 2014, 4:29 PM ET

woodbuck27
12-29-2014, 08:46 AM
http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/12086818/some-chicago-bears-coaches-fear-losing-jobs

Some Bears coaches fear firings

While it comes as no surprise given the team's struggles, at least three members of the Chicago Bears coaching staff expect coach Marc Trestman and the staff to be let go after the regular-season finale Sunday at Minnesota.

Andrew Weber/USA TODAY Sports

" The staff hasn't yet been told of general manager Phil Emery's or ownership's intentions, but one staffer said he'd be "shocked" if sweeping changes aren't made. "

Updated: December 28, 2014, 4:29 PM ET

This just in:

Chicago Bears GM Phil Emery has been reported and being reported ..... 'let go' !

As of this time.....There is no word on any others being let go in the Chicago BEARS Organization.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/12/29/7395141/phil-emery-fired-bears-general-manager

pbmax
12-29-2014, 09:03 AM
Mike Smith in Atlanta is gone.

woodbuck27
12-29-2014, 09:04 AM
OK here it is:

The NFL Network is just now reporting that the Bears organization has Let Marc Trestman go !

https://www.google.ca/search?newwindow=1&site=webhp&q=Marc+Trestman+fired&oq=Marc+Trestman+fired&gs_l=serp.12...960468.966606.0.970290.19.14.0.5.5. 0.253.1535.7j6j1.14.0.msedr...0...1c.1.60.serp..1. 18.1542.VJa0wjuzwIs

Marc Trestman and GM Phil Emery fired by Chicago Bears after 5-11 season

pbmax
12-29-2014, 09:08 AM
Mike Smith in Atlanta is gone.

Dimitroff is staying as GM

pbmax
12-29-2014, 09:09 AM
Rex Ryan and John Idzik are gone in New York.

pbmax
12-29-2014, 02:56 PM
Good sign you Owner doesn't know what he is doing:

Tim Kawakami ‏@timkawakami 29m29 minutes ago
Is McKenzie your GM going into 2015? "Every day is a new day," Davis said. "But I've never had a problem with Reggie."

I like my GM unless my new Head Coach doesn't want him.

woodbuck27
12-29-2014, 03:19 PM
Good sign you Owner doesn't know what he is doing:

Tim Kawakami ‏@timkawakami 29m29 minutes ago
Is McKenzie your GM going into 2015? "Every day is a new day," Davis said. "But I've never had a problem with Reggie."

I like my GM unless my new Head Coach doesn't want him.

Really!? He said that?

woodbuck27
12-29-2014, 04:02 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bears-fire-gm-emery-coach-trestman-171032651--nfl.html

Bears fire GM Phil Emery, coach Marc Trestman

By: ANDREW SELIGMAN (AP Sports Writer)

1 hour ago ... AP - Sports

Emery did not take questions from reporters.

Trestman, in a statement issued through the team, thanked the team-owning McCaskey family for the opportunity to coach the Bears.

''I also want to thank all the coaches and players who gave us everything we asked over the past two years,'' he said. ''I have tremendous respect for this organization.''

SkinBasket
12-29-2014, 04:14 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5c/Valentine_Day_massacre.jpg

Your indecency knows no bounds. Now I have to explain this image to my kids.

Fritz
12-29-2014, 04:15 PM
This just in:

Chicago Bears GM Phil Emery has been reported and being reported ..... 'let go' !

As of this time.....There is no word on any others being let go in the Chicago BEARS Organization.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/12/29/7395141/phil-emery-fired-bears-general-manager

But as long as Cutler stays, all will be well for Packer fans.

pbmax
12-29-2014, 04:34 PM
Clear thinking in Chicago:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 21m21 minutes ago
#Bears fired only OC Aaron Kromer among assistants, keep defensive staff (for now). So, basically the opposite of what Marc Trestman planned

mraynrand
12-29-2014, 06:44 PM

#Bears fired only OC Aaron Kromer among assistants, keep defensive staff (for now). So, basically the opposite of what Marc Trestman planned

Whoa, the guests are coming for New Year's eve. Let's make sure the garage is clean! #housecleaningchicagostyle

mraynrand
12-29-2014, 06:45 PM

http://media.tumblr.com/5123c2c2bb1c5d0f7c34875f98c64c8e/tumblr_inline_ncuco3o1vU1sz4pp6.jpg

KYPack
12-29-2014, 09:28 PM

Hey Bears. Fire the GM & head coach & staff. Let the GM hire a coach. Let the coach build his own staff. The Bears DC was no great shakes, the new HC could come up with a guy just as talented.

Well, Buddy Ryan & Ditka worked, maybe they can do it again.

MadScientist
12-29-2014, 09:57 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bears-fire-gm-emery-coach-trestman-171032651--nfl.html

Trestman, in a statement issued through the team, thanked the team-owning McCaskey family for the opportunity to coach the Bears.

''I also want to thank all the coaches and players who gave us everything we asked over the past two years,'' he said.

So he's explicitly not thanking Cutler with that statement.

woodbuck27
12-30-2014, 09:30 AM
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/video/downtown-restaurant-owner-fights-off-233345026.html

San Fran 49er fans react to Jim Harbaugh leaving as the teams Head Coach.

pbmax
12-30-2014, 09:54 AM
Whoa, the guests are coming for New Year's eve. Let's make sure the garage is clean! #housecleaningchicagostyle

That is as close to the truth as you can get unless you are Thoreau.

Kromer reportedly met with his offense at his home rather than Team HQ after he was let go. Can you have that many chairs in a house?

woodbuck27
12-30-2014, 10:04 AM
So he's explicitly not thanking Cutler with that statement.

I feel somewhat badly for Marc Trestman but moreso I'm thinking he gets a big break leaving Chicago.

Marc Trestman if he's nothing else is a fine gentleman, intelligent and a very hard working dedicated man.

I'm wondering if he might consider returning to the CFL and leading the Montreal Alouettes again?

The City of Montreal would certainly welcome that. Marc Trestman is respected in Montreal and in the CFL as a whole.

Marc Trestman worked his tail off while he was in the CFL and got wonderful results. I'm sure his excellent work ethic continued in Chicago as the Bears HC. It simply wasn't meant to be. At the very least the blame has to be shared. As it's turning out that was the case.

Harlan Huckleby
12-30-2014, 10:08 AM
There was a Canadian in NFL coaching ranks?!

I knew there was something funny about the guy. Good look to ya Trestman, keep your stick on the ice.

woodbuck27
12-30-2014, 10:21 AM

I knew there was something funny about the guy. Good look to ya Trestman, keep your stick on the ice.

I'll get back to you on that question HH but till then:

Who was the first Black hired as a Head Coach in the CFL?

If you don't know the answer to that question 'off the top of your head'? You may be surprized at the correct answer.

Harlan Huckleby
12-30-2014, 10:24 AM

If you don't know the answer to that question 'off the top of your head'? You may be surprized at the correct answer.

Flip Wilson

Guiness
12-30-2014, 10:25 AM

He's from Minneapolis.

I don't see him back in the CFL, the Bear's offense was good while he was there, I think some new NFL staff picks him up as their OC. He could also take a year off, he was fired, so he must have at least a year left on his contract with the Bears.

woodbuck27
12-30-2014, 10:52 AM

Was there ever a Canadian in the NFL coaching ranks?

I don't know. If we could help a lot with NASA I cannot imagine why not !? :-)

Marc Trestman was born in Minneapolis, Minnesota on January 15, 1956 (age 58).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Trestman

woodbuck27
12-30-2014, 10:54 AM
He's from Minneapolis.

I don't see him back in the CFL, the Bear's offense was good while he was there, I think some new NFL staff picks him up as their OC. He could also take a year off, he was fired, so he must have at least a year left on his contract with the Bears.

He was loved in Montreal and he left there with all those good feeling of the city and his success with the Als.

pbmax
12-30-2014, 11:10 AM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2h2 hours ago
Four interview targets for #Bears GM opening: Chris Ballard (KC), Mark Ross (NYG), Lake Dawson (TEN), Vince Newsome (BAL)

On the #Jets power structure: The plan is for the new GM and the new coach to both report to owner Woody Johnson.

ALERT! POSSIBLY DUMBER THAN DANNY SNYDER

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 2h2 hours ago
Pat Shurmur to interview for Raiders opening http://wp.me/p14QSB-9FGa

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter · 13h 13 hours ago
Falcons and 49ers requested permission to interview Patriots OC Josh McDaniels, per league source.

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter · 6h 6 hours ago
Raiders requested to interview 49ers TE coach Eric Mangini for HC, as @MikeGarafolo reported. Mangini's smart, seasoned, and would be strong

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter · 6h 6 hours ago
Falcons have requested to interview Lions DC Teryl Austin, Broncos OC Adam Gase, Pats OC Josh McDaniels, Seahawks DC Dan Quinn, per source.

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter · 3h 3 hours ago
Jets requested HC interviews with Cards DC Todd Bowles, SEA asst HC Tom Cable, BALT OC Gary Kubiak, SD OC Frank Reich, SEA DC Dan Quinn.

Patler
12-30-2014, 11:23 AM

Willie Wood.

mraynrand
12-30-2014, 11:28 AM
Willie Wood.

surprising!

Patler
12-30-2014, 11:30 AM
For a couple years he seemed in line for an NFL HC job.

woodbuck27
12-30-2014, 11:31 AM
Willie Wood.

Correct.

Move to the head of the class.

Ohh wait...your already there Patler.

Patler
12-30-2014, 11:54 AM
Thanks Woodbuck.:-)

I wrote about Willie Wood's coaching career on here a couple years ago when he was in the news for the many severe health problems he has, and the monetary problems resulting from it. As I recall, he took a reduced early NFL retirement to pay for some surgeries or something, and just kept sinking both medically and financially.

Wood was a head coach in the WFL (or whatever league was active then), which made him the first black head coach of a pro team in the modern era. He then went to Canada to be the first in the CFL. It was thought he was a front runner for one job in the NFL (LA Rams, I think), but ultimately didn't get it. He was rumored to be in line for a couple others, then just sort of disappeared. I think that was when his health issues first began to surface,

As a collegian at USC, he was the first black starting QB in the Pac 12; (or whatever the league was then), and had to put up with a lot because of it. That was in the late 1950s and befor the civil rights movement really took hold in the US.

Willie Wood was one of quiet barrier breakers who did a lot without saying a lot.

woodbuck27
12-30-2014, 12:50 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-am/0ap3000000451757/New-York-states-of-mind

The difference between Rex Ryan and Tom Coughlan's HC experience with their teams.

I noted what Mark Kriegle made a statement at the top of this video, on this season and the current host being an improvement over last season. He directed this to host Rhett Lewis.

Last year ( the IMO talented Nichol Zaloumis ) had that seat (alone) and she's been replaced by Rhett Lewis and Erin Coscarelli.

Frankly I watch this show a lot and I find that Rhett Lewis is doing a good job but Erin Coscarelli isn't good. I've read reviews that criticizes her style often talking over the men on the panel and generally , her expertise leaving much to be desired.

This is .... a football show and the first one to kick off the day for many NFL fans.

This isn't ... the sexy and the fashionable and the zany and ..... something about football ... show.

woodbuck27
12-30-2014, 01:18 PM
Flip Wilson

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQirqxuW8s_J3vX7lZMtRJZ8mJF8lrIT KF8fFOzKepgZr5EMOpxpQ

Harlan ...'Your so smart'.

woodbuck27
12-30-2014, 01:37 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000451004/article/jim-harbaugh-agrees-to-take-coaching-job-at-Michigan

Jim Harbaugh signs deal to become Michigan head coach

By Andy Fenelon NFL.com

Published: Dec. 29, 2014 at 06:33 p.m. ... Updated: Dec. 30, 2014 at 01:13 p.m.

woodbuck27
12-30-2014, 01:50 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000451844/article/jacksonville-jaguars-fire-oc-jedd-fisch

Jacksonville Jaguars fire OC Jedd Fisch

By Conor Orr .... Around The NFL Writer

Published: Dec. 30, 2014 at 01:09 p.m. .... Updated: Dec. 30, 2014 at 02:30 p.m.

woodbuck27
12-30-2014, 01:53 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000451832/article/eric-mangini-pat-shurmur-headline-raiders-list

Eric Mangini, Pat Shurmur headline Raiders' list

" Oakland's current list of candidates hardly suggests the "rock star" that owner Mark Davis was supposedly desperate to unearth after firing Dennis Allen in September.

Along with interim coach Tony Sparano, the Raiders have asked to speak with 49ers assistant Eric Mangini, Eagles offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur and Broncos defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio. "

By: Marc Sessler ....Around the NFL Writer

Published: Dec. 30, 2014 at 01:01 p.m. .... Updated: Dec. 30, 2014 at 01:32 p.m

woodbuck27
12-30-2014, 02:54 PM
http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/12/29/adam-gase-atlanta-falcons-san-francisco-49ers-head-coach-interview

Report: Falcons, 49ers request to talk to Pats' Josh McDaniels, Broncos' Adam Gase

Harlan Huckleby
12-30-2014, 03:10 PM
If Bud Grant isn't Canadian he should be

Guiness
12-30-2014, 04:04 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000451832/article/eric-mangini-pat-shurmur-headline-raiders-list

Eric Mangini, Pat Shurmur headline Raiders' list

" Oakland's current list of candidates hardly suggests the "rock star" that owner Mark Davis was supposedly desperate to unearth after firing Dennis Allen in September.

Along with interim coach Tony Sparano, the Raiders have asked to speak with 49ers assistant Eric Mangini, Eagles offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur and Broncos defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio. "

By: Marc Sessler ....Around the NFL Writer

Published: Dec. 30, 2014 at 01:01 p.m. .... Updated: Dec. 30, 2014 at 01:32 p.m

Del Rio and Mangini? Hardly a murder's row. Del Rio totally lost the Jaguars locker room his last season there, and Man-genius had consecutive 5-11 seasons with the Browns with multiple reports coming out that the players hated him.

The only re-tread worse than these 2 is McDaniels and his 'all free agents, all the time' experiment in Denver. Oh wait, I see from your other post someone is looking at that clown too!

Guiness
12-30-2014, 04:07 PM

Fair enough. If Justin Bieber isn't American, he should be.

woodbuck27
12-30-2014, 04:11 PM

Google Bud Grant >>> Wikipedia (Bud Grant) > Observe Date and Place of birth.

He's good enough looking to be a Canadian.

Harlan Huckleby
12-30-2014, 04:14 PM
I see Bud played and coached in CFL.

woodbuck27
12-30-2014, 11:09 PM
I see Bud played and coached in CFL.

He was very well respected in CFL circles.

woodbuck27
12-30-2014, 11:10 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/2014/12/29/7463019/nfl-coaching-rumors-2015-tracking-bears-falcons-jets

NFL coaching rumors 2015: Tracking top candidates for Bears, 49ers and the other vacancies

By: SB Nation NFL News on Dec 30 2014, 10:54 PM

pbmax
12-31-2014, 12:33 AM
Rex Ryan is reportedly a candidate for the Falcons job. Matty Ice will be splitting time with Brad Smith inside of a year.

Rex and Lovie suffer from the same disease: cannot trust the offense unless they fear the offense being installed. This is usually fatal in the case of coaches.

pbmax
12-31-2014, 12:43 AM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 9h9 hours ago
The #Bears have requested permission to speak with #Broncos OC Adam Gase, source says. Add that to the #49ers and #Falcons

woodbuck27
12-31-2014, 06:04 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000452192/article/rex-ryan-has-interviews-scheduled-with-49ers-falcons

Rex Ryan has interviews scheduled with 49ers, Falcons

By Dan Hanzus ... Around the NFL Writer

Published: Dec. 30, 2014 at 08:45 p.m. ... Updated: Dec. 30, 2014 at 09:17 p.m.

Patler
12-31-2014, 06:07 AM
I don't understand the leagues fascination with Rex Ryan as a head coach.

woodbuck27
12-31-2014, 07:44 AM

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTS60hvbIbvkV_QqUQGcvOpxcY58FR4G rMBIKQV6_Kq2ETuqRvx

He's .....

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR7Zi2Q40SmkhihIk0oLo2nSP0jek-KrQwJ-zcFFBwtpWE5CLO19g

SEXY !

Guiness
12-31-2014, 10:15 AM

Mike Shanahan has been contacted by the 49ers, do you understand that?:-)

pbmax
12-31-2014, 10:26 AM
Mike Shanahan has been contacted by the 49ers, do you understand that?:-)

Abundant Vitamin D.

pbmax
12-31-2014, 12:23 PM
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 51m51 minutes ago
Vikings' assistant G.M. declines interview to become Jets' G.M. http://wp.me/p14QSB-9FKq via @MMehtaNYDN

Stupid Vikings' good decisions continue apace.

woodbuck27
12-31-2014, 02:33 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000452302/article/jim-haslett-redskins-mutually-agree-to-part-ways

Jim Haslett, Redskins mutually agree to part ways

By: Conor Orr ..... Around The NFL Writer

Published: Dec. 31, 2014 at 10:14 a.m. ...... Updated: Dec. 31, 2014 at 12:02 p.m.

KYPack
12-31-2014, 02:41 PM

Rex with ATL?

Somebody to square up the D and a new OC to keep Ryan going?

I can see how Blank would go for it.

pbmax
12-31-2014, 02:47 PM
Head Coaches are losing turf battles this offseason.

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 1h1 hour ago
Eagles announce that VP of player personnel Tom Gamble is out, as @mortreport said a few minutes ago. That qualifies as a stunner.

Gamble was Kelly's guy brought over from the 49ers. Howie Roseman captures back the some power he lost last year when Kelly forced the team to dump DeSean Jackson.

pbmax
12-31-2014, 02:49 PM
Rex with ATL?

Somebody to square up the D and a new OC to keep Ryan going?

I can see how Blank would go for it.

I read that the Jags were interested in the ATL OC (Koetter?) if he was dumped by the new regime.

Joemailman
12-31-2014, 05:18 PM
Doug Marrone of Buffalo opts out of his contract after 2 years.

Reports are that he had opt out due to change in ownership. Also, he is reported to be the favorite for the Jets job.

Bretsky
12-31-2014, 05:50 PM
Feel bad for the Bills; nobody seems to even want to stay here. Lacking a QB to go along with that D

pbmax
01-01-2015, 09:36 AM
Chris B. Brown ‏@smartfootball 2h2 hours ago
This all sounds healthy MT @LesBowen: My understanding is that Tom Gamble was escorted from Eagles building Tuesday evening.

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 1h1 hour ago
Bears request to interview Ravens personnel ace Eric DeCosta was submitted Wed. He's declined many requests in past. expect that continues

woodbuck27
01-01-2015, 09:38 AM
Feel bad for the Bills; nobody seems to even want to stay here. Lacking a QB to go along with that D

This one might be about a future job opportunity.

woodbuck27
01-01-2015, 12:59 PM
http://www.si.com/nfl/video/2014/12/30/sean-payton-tom-coughlin

Sean Peyton will have his job in New Orleans under the microscope next season

It goes without saying that the New York GIANTS Tom Cochrane and The Miami Dolphins Joe "Smiley" Philbin are already there as well:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000443052/article/tom-coughlin-joe-philbin-on-coaching-hot-seat

Maxie the Taxi
01-01-2015, 01:06 PM
I think Sean Payton has had a roller coaster career. I don't know who the GM is there, but he's had a bad last few years.

denverYooper
01-01-2015, 02:24 PM
I think Sean Payton has had a roller coaster career. I don't know who the GM is there, but he's had a bad last few years.

I'm sort of surprised Rob Ryan is still there. Maybe injuries saved both of their jobs.

Maxie the Taxi
01-01-2015, 03:11 PM
I'm sort of surprised Rob Ryan is still there. Maybe injuries saved both of their jobs.

I think it was a classic miscalculation: GM assumed he could replace losses of major players to free agency via signing free agents and draft picks. The trouble is it not only didn't work out but it destroyed the team chemistry. That's why TT must resign as many important Packer free agents as possible, most especially Cobb and Bulaga.

mraynrand
01-01-2015, 03:18 PM
Doug Marrone of Buffalo opts out of his contract after 2 years.

everyone do the Bony Marrone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdmuqYCf5Ik

Fritz
01-01-2015, 03:36 PM
Marine seemed like a good coach. I wonder if they give the Bills job to The Schvantz.

Joemailman
01-01-2015, 03:49 PM
Been some talk about Frank Reich in Buffalo. He's currently the OC in San Diego.

pbmax
01-01-2015, 08:05 PM
Bills issues have gotten out of hand for a talented team.

They court Bill Polian to bring him back as Football Czar/Team President and then the whole deal collapses on disagreement on money. This is done without informing current Team President Russ Brandon. And because Polian works for ESPN (and because he is Bill Polian, friend of Bob McGinn) it leaks.

Then the team refuses to give Marrone an extension, allowing him to use his opt-out clause (which they included to lure him away from Cleveland job two years ago-remember all the reports that he had reached an agreement with Browns only to head North?).

New owner looks mighty foolish.

pbmax
01-01-2015, 08:34 PM
Mike Jones ‏@MikeJonesWaPo 9h9 hours ago
Redskins have inquired about 49ers DC Vic Fangino, but haven't received permission to interview yet, source says.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 8h8 hours ago
While Frank Reich looms as a top candidate for the #Bills, he will also interview for the #Jets — who are interested in Doug Marrone too

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 7h7 hours ago
You can add the 49ers to the Falcons as teams that have requested interviews with Detroit DC Teryl Austin. He said so himself to media today

BREAK UP THE LIONS!

pbmax
01-01-2015, 09:07 PM
The #Bills are on the board in their head-coaching search, requesting permission to speak with #Broncos OC Adam Gase, source said.

pbmax
01-01-2015, 09:31 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/mike-shanahan-to-interview-with-49ers-b99418627z1-287308041.html#packers

Shanny getting an interview.

AND his son.

Shanahan was out of the NFL last season after his four-season stint with Washington. Shanahan's son, Kyle, the Cleveland Browns' offensive coordinator, is also under consideration by the 49ers, the Cleveland Plain-Dealer reported earlier this week.

Doug Marrone is lame:

"Doug Marrone informed Bills players last night of his decision — after news broke — via a mass text. Said to call if they needed anything," tweeted NFL Network reporter Albert Breer.

Guiness
01-02-2015, 12:13 PM
The Marone thing is odd. Was it just a cash grab? He walks away with his full 2015 salary ($4M) and not offsets...and it looks like he won't have much trouble getting another job somewhere. Word is that he was looking for an extension, and the new ownership ddn't want to give it to him.

And the Bills don't look to be heading in a great direction. The last 2 years were ok for a franchise that has had a bad decade, and now they're looking at promoting DC Schwartz, and trying to recapture some of the glory years by talking to Kelly's old backup Frank Reich, who has no HC experience.

pbmax
01-02-2015, 12:30 PM
The Marone thing is odd. Was it just a cash grab? He walks away with his full 2015 salary ($4M) and not offsets...and it looks like he won't have much trouble getting another job somewhere. Word is that he was looking for an extension, and the new ownership ddn't want to give it to him.

And the Bills don't look to be heading in a great direction. The last 2 years were ok for a franchise that has had a bad decade, and now they're looking at promoting DC Schwartz, and trying to recapture some of the glory years by talking to Kelly's old backup Frank Reich, who has no HC experience.

He asked that he and his assistants be given extensions. Might have been a power play if he was unhappy with the previous front office setup, but it seems more likely he wanted a commitment to his staff (and himself) from the new owner.

pbmax
01-02-2015, 12:33 PM
Jim Schwartz being considered for the Bills head coach.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/02/bills-consider-promoting-jim-schwartz-to-head-coach/

Guiness
01-02-2015, 12:39 PM
He asked that he and his assistants be given extensions. Might have been a power play if he was unhappy with the previous front office setup, but it seems more likely he wanted a commitment to his staff (and himself) from the new owner.

He had 2 years left though, so it wasn't like he was going into the season Jason Garrett lame duck style. And I don't blame the new ownership for wanting to get the lay of the land before committing a bunch of money.

pbmax
01-02-2015, 12:40 PM
He had 2 years left though, so it wasn't like he was going into the season Jason Garrett lame duck style. And I don't blame the new ownership for wanting to get the lay of the land before committing a bunch of money.

Sometimes departures are mutual because they are in the best interests of each party.

Guiness
01-02-2015, 01:30 PM
Sometimes departures are mutual because they are in the best interests of each party.

Not sure this was in the best interest of the Bills. Marone had the team moving in the right direction. EJ Manual not panning out was a setback, but they were a competitive team with Orton.

Not saying they should've given him whatever he wanted to make him stay, but they were better off with him than without him. With him gone, Orton just retired for the second straight year and EJ not being the guy they want, they're starting over on offense.

pbmax
01-02-2015, 01:41 PM
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 26m26 minutes ago
Plugged-in league source senses there could be "something big" going on in Philly in the aftermath of Tom Gamble's departure.

pbmax
01-03-2015, 10:38 AM
Chip Kelly gets promotion, Howie Roseman gets kicked upstairs. They dumped the former Director of Player Personnel who was Kelly's guy but reported to Roseman. Kelly now oversees Player Personnel and will hire his own DPP who will report to the coach. Roseman is still the cap guy.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/02/eagles-say-chip-kelly-will-oversee-player-personnel-department/

I have my doubts about this. Friday the 2nd might be the day that marks the beginning of the end for Kelly's tenure.

pbmax
01-03-2015, 11:20 AM
He's back baby!

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 4m4 minutes ago
Ed Donatell's interview for the Skins vacant DC job is early next week. Would be Vic Fangio's DC if Fangio gets the SF head coach job

Sherman's Curse is almost over.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 20m20 minutes ago
This is an interesting one. Wade Phillips will interview for the #Redskins defensive coordinator opening this week, source says.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 27m27 minutes ago
#Seahawks OC Darrell Bevell is interviewing today with the #Bills for their head coaching job, source said.

DISTRACTIONS!

Guiness
01-03-2015, 02:17 PM
Chip Kelly gets promotion, Howie Roseman gets kicked upstairs. They dumped the former Director of Player Personnel who was Kelly's guy but reported to Roseman. Kelly now oversees Player Personnel and will hire his own DPP who will report to the coach. Roseman is still the cap guy.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/02/eagles-say-chip-kelly-will-oversee-player-personnel-department/

I have my doubts about this. Friday the 2nd might be the day that marks the beginning of the end for Kelly's tenure.

Ya, they have some sorting out to do there. There are also rumours that Lurie is still sore about Roseman giving Joe Banner the heave-ho.

Guiness
01-03-2015, 02:20 PM
He's back baby!

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 4m4 minutes ago
Ed Donatell's interview for the Skins vacant DC job is early next week. Would be Vic Fangio's DC if Fangio gets the SF head coach job

Sherman's Curse is almost over.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 20m20 minutes ago
This is an interesting one. Wade Phillips will interview for the #Redskins defensive coordinator opening this week, source says.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 27m27 minutes ago
#Seahawks OC Darrell Bevell is interviewing today with the #Bills for their head coaching job, source said.

DISTRACTIONS!

Requests by the Redskins to interview Schwartz and Fangio for DC jobs were declined. Why the hell would they be accepted? It's not just the mayor who's smoking crack in DC.

woodbuck27
01-03-2015, 02:45 PM

Here's more of the move in Philly:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000453147/article/chip-kelly-to-run-personnel-department-in-philadelphia

Chip has to get a difficult task...right or ...... it's bye bye Chip.

Guiness
01-03-2015, 04:25 PM
Here's more of the move in Philly:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000453147/article/chip-kelly-to-run-personnel-department-in-philadelphia

Chip has to get a difficult task...right or ...... it's bye bye Chip.

That is such a bad idea. I'd ask why coaches continually want that power and responsibility, but I guess the answer is you don't become an NFL coach unless you are a megalomaniac. Maybe the NFL is doing us all a favour by employing these guys, otherwise there's a possibility they'd be part of our everyday lives, or running small countries!

Is there a single example of a coach being given coach and GM jobs and being successful?

woodbuck27
01-03-2015, 04:32 PM
That is such a bad idea. I'd ask why coaches continually want that power and responsibility, but I guess the answer is you don't become an NFL coach unless you are a megalomaniac. Maybe the NFL is doing us all a favour by employing these guys, otherwise there's a possibility they'd be part of our everyday lives, or running small countries!

Is there a single example of a coach being given coach and GM jobs and being successful?

Vince Lombardi.

pbmax
01-03-2015, 04:33 PM

No one is doing both jobs, but several coaches have the last word on the roster and draft, like Pete Carrol and Belichick. I think Andy Reid might, Chip Kelly now does, Shanahan did and I think Fisher might.

woodbuck27
01-03-2015, 04:50 PM
http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2014/12/31/the-unwritten-rules-of-hiring-an-nfl-head-coach/

The Unwritten Rules of Hiring an NFL Head Coach

By: Sean Jensen @seankjensen on December 31, 2014

Guiness
01-03-2015, 07:09 PM
No one is doing both jobs, but several coaches have the last word on the roster and draft, like Pete Carrol and Belichick. I think Andy Reid might, Chip Kelly now does, Shanahan did and I think Fisher might.

So, with Kelly, there are 3 or 4 guys that are the de facto GMs. Two of them successful (although I think Pete Carrol's shelf life is limited, he got so lucky drafting), Reid has been up and down, and obviously we know nothing about how Kelly will do. Shanahan crashed and burned something fierce, and probably hurt that franchise for a few more years. It'll be an interesting show to watch, and Chip's early success might not last.

pbmax
01-03-2015, 07:17 PM
Its dicey. Even Parcells would improve a team but seemed to have an upper limit he couldn't get past. And he and BB basically have an entire front office of former staffers, scouts and personnel guys to draw upon.

Tyrion Lannister
01-03-2015, 07:33 PM

Sherman never missed the playoffs.

And that guy in New England, he led his team to 5 Super Bowls.

Guiness
01-04-2015, 11:48 AM
FA to be Jason Garrett isn't (publicly) attracting much attention. Some seem to think there's a wink and a nod deal between him and Jones, but why should there be? He's going to be an experienced coach, with a lifetime winning record and without a contract, possibly as soon as tonight.

Guiness
01-04-2015, 01:44 PM
Requests by the Redskins to interview Schwartz and Fangio for DC jobs were declined. Why the hell would they be accepted? It's not just the mayor who's smoking crack in DC.

Anyone have thoughts on this? Why would the Bills or 49ers give Washington permission to talk to these guys?

woodbuck27
01-06-2015, 11:42 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/06/report-tom-coughlin-plans-no-changes-to-giants-coaching-staff/

Report: Tom Coughlin plans no changes to Giants’ coaching staff

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 6, 2015, 10:32 AM EST

woodbuck27
01-06-2015, 03:19 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/05/mike-holmgren-says-49ers-werent-interested/

Mike Holmgren says 49ers weren’t interested

Posted by Mike Florio on January 5, 2015, 1:31 PM EST

woodbuck27
01-06-2015, 04:26 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/06/boom-raiders-brought-madden-in-for-shanahan-interview/

Boom: Raiders brought Madden in for Shanahan interview

Posted by Darin Gantt on January 6, 2015, 4:25 PM EST

" If nothing else, it’s a sign of one family member breaking the ice with a guy whose relationship with the organization was frosty.

Mark’s father Al fired Shanahan four games into his second season coaching the team, and the tensions between the two continued for years. "

Freak Out
01-06-2015, 04:36 PM
Sherman never missed the playoffs.

And that guy in New England, he led his team to 5 Super Bowls.

Sherman never what? As the GM?

woodbuck27
01-06-2015, 05:36 PM
Sherman never what? As the GM?

Mike Sherman led the Packers to five consecutive winning seasons 2000-2004.

Mike Sherman's chief achievement was as Green Bay Packer GM and HC from 2001-2004. The Green Bay Packers captured 3 NFC Division titles and had an impressive combined regular Season Record of 44-20. That period included 3 consecutive NFCN Titles (2002-04); a 2nd place finish (2001) in the NFC Central Division.

In 2005 as HC with the Packers (Mike Sherman's last season) and after Green Bay Packer GM Ted Thompson's arrival. The Green Bay Packers had a 4-12 record.

woodbuck27
01-06-2015, 06:09 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/06/tannenbaum-hire-in-miami-creates-awkward-situation-for-the-jets/

Tannenbaum hire in Miami creates awkward situation for the Jets

Posted by Mike Florio on January 6, 2015, 5:50 PM EST

The Miami Dolphins have announced that Mike Tannenbaum will become their executive V.P. of football operations.

Mike Tannenbaum presently represents the Seattle Seahawks DC Dan Quinn, with whom the Jets reportedly are smitten as their possible next HC. What if the Jets decide to hire Dan Quinn?

Read the rest of this story in the LINK above.

pbmax
01-06-2015, 06:47 PM
Mike Sherman led the Packers to five consecutive winning seasons 2000-2004.

Mike Sherman's chief achievement was as Green Bay Packer GM and HC from 2001-2004. The Green Bay Packers captured 3 NFC Division titles and had an impressive combined regular Season Record of 44-20. That period included 3 consecutive NFCN Titles (2002-04); a 2nd place finish (2001) in the NFC Central Division.

In 2005 as HC with the Packers (Mike Sherman's last season) and after Green Bay Packer GM Ted Thompson's arrival. The Green Bay Packers had a 4-12 record.

What about 2000?

woodbuck27
01-06-2015, 06:54 PM
What about 2000?

In the 2000 Season the Green Bay Packers with Mike Sherman as HC had a 9-7 record were third in the NFC Central Division and failed to make the playoffs. The Packer GM at that time was Ron Wolf.

woodbuck27
01-06-2015, 06:56 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/06/report-kyle-shanahan-may-leave-cleveland-over-friction-with-browns/

Report: Kyle Shanahan may leave Cleveland over friction with Browns

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 6, 2015, 6:55 PM EST

pbmax
01-06-2015, 07:22 PM
Think how bad you have to be to get fired from your GM job after your coach just made the playoffs four times in a row.

Tyrion Lannister
01-06-2015, 07:59 PM
Think how bad you have to be to get fired from your GM job after your coach just made the playoffs four times in a row.

Not bad. Sometimes decision makers make stupid decisions. Jerry Jones fired Jimmy Johnson after 2 consecutive SB wins, for fuck's sake.

Sherman, as GM-Coach, managed the Packers the Belichick Way. Efficient cap management. Aggressive in free agency. Trade for bona-fida playas. Make wise use of the draft but don't put all the eggs in the draft.

Thompson prefers to put all his eggs in the draft, and "build a dynasty via the draft." In other words, an excuse for "I suck at luring elite free agents to GB, can't pull off trades, so fuck them, Ima use the draft as an excuse for my incompetence." I mean, Wolf lured Reggie White to Green Bay when Green Bay was still the Siberia of the NFL, for fuck's sake.

mraynrand
01-06-2015, 08:00 PM
KY - leave it alone!

woodbuck27
01-06-2015, 08:16 PM
Not bad. Sometimes decision makers make stupid decisions. Jerry Jones fired Jimmy Johnson after 2 consecutive SB wins, for fuck's sake.

Sherman, as GM-Coach, managed the Packers the Belichick Way. Efficient cap management. Aggressive in free agency. Trade for bona-fida playas. Make wise use of the draft but don't put all the eggs in the draft.

Thompson prefers to put all his eggs in the draft, and "build a dynasty via the draft." In other words, an excuse for "I suck at luring elite free agents to GB, can't pull off trades, so fuck them, Ima use the draft as an excuse for my incompetence." I mean, Wolf lured Reggie White to Green Bay when Green Bay was still the Siberia of the NFL, for fuck's sake.

Your convicted and that takes integrity.

Integrity must travel with a First Aid Kit handy.

Cheesehead Craig
01-06-2015, 08:27 PM

Sherman was just like Belichick, except for that pesky salary cap issue when GB couldn't keep the team together after the 2004 season, the horrible drafts, and that NE actually won SBs whereas Sherman didn't even get to the dance the two were just alike

Tyrion Lannister
01-06-2015, 08:27 PM
Your convicted and that takes integrity.

Integrity must travel with a First Aid Kit handy.

lol

Tyrion Lannister
01-06-2015, 08:39 PM
Sherman was just like Belichick, except for that pesky salary cap issue when GB couldn't keep the team together after the 2004 season, the horrible drafts, and that NE actually won SBs whereas Sherman didn't even get to the dance the two were just alike

First of all, the Cap wasn't in "great" shape when Wolf turned the throne over to Sherman. Remember, it was that Wolf of Lombardi Ave who handed out large contracts to Freeman and Levens, among others.

2ndly, alotta Wolf's core players' contracts were expiring. Sherman efficiently managed to cap to retain them.

Sherman wasn't stupid. He knew the cap was gonna be inflated once the NFL and the Networks struck a new deal. Therefore, Sherman was NOT "mortgaging" the future when he cleared up some short-term spaces to sign the likes of Joe Johnson. Sure, Johnson turned out to be a so-called "bust," but the Packers needed a DE at that time and Johnson was the best DE available in free agency.

When he has a need, you don't see Billechick hibernating in a closet and waiting for the draft.

Btw, Sherman's drafts produced the likes of J-Walk, Kampman, Corey Williams, Barnett, etc. His drafts were far from "horrible."

mraynrand
01-06-2015, 08:42 PM
When he has a needs, you don't see Billechick hibernating in a closet and waiting for the draft.

Ted was trapped in the closet. You should at least stay true to your own idiom.

Tyrion Lannister
01-06-2015, 08:46 PM
Ted was trapped in the closet. You should at least stay true to your own idiom.

He's still trapped in the closet. lol

smuggler
01-06-2015, 08:54 PM
Thompson is a significantly better GM than Sherman, when you look at the big picture. The best free agent acquisitions we've had in the past 10-15 years have been Woodson and Pickett. Were those a result of Thompson or Sherman?

Third best might be Peppers, too.

Tyrion Lannister
01-06-2015, 08:55 PM
Come to think of it, if the Bears seriously want to dethrone the Packers as Kings of the North, they oughtta hire Sherman as their next GM-Coach. :D

Tyrion Lannister
01-06-2015, 09:05 PM
Thompson is a significantly better GM than Sherman, when you look at the big picture. The best free agent acquisitions we've had in the past 10-15 years have been Woodson and Pickett. Were those a result of Thompson or Sherman?

Third best might be Peppers, too.

None of those guys were considered elite free agents. Wood, everybody thought he was washed up. Pickett, fat and married to a hot chick, was easy to lure b/c he didn't need the night life of the big cities. Pepper, past his prime.

The facts favor Belichick in the Belichick Way vs Thompson Way argument. Sherman ran the Packers the Belichick way. If given more time, I seriously believe Sherman woulda won more than a "fluke" SB with the Packers.

smuggler
01-06-2015, 09:12 PM
The reasons why you're wrong:

1. Sherman is not Belichick.
2. Green Bay is not Boston.

Even if we have the salary cap space to do something, we still have to posses the actual liquid capital to do the mega-deals that you are proposing. Speaking of those deals, only Revis, a one-year rental, really qualifies.

Robert Kraft has outside revenue sources to dip into if he needs to back up a cash-laden truck somewhere. Green Bay has one trust account, and it has to remain stocked feasibly for a rainy day, else Green Bay either fall behind in the non-salary aspects of football, or worse.

Thompson's model is sustainable. What you are suggesting, which from what I gather is to fire Thompson and hire a GM who will take more risks with trades and free-agency, will not work because it will damage our team in the area of it's biggest strength - cheap young players. Thompson, while not perfect on draft day - far from it, really - keeps the team deep enough to sustain injuries and remain respectable. Ask Thomas Dimitroff about that depth thing sometime. I think he won two or three GM of the Year awards, and -SHOCKER- he is a much worse GM than Ted Thompson.

Unless Belichik 2.0 shows up at our door asking for a job, I'd suggest we stick with what's working.

pbmax
01-06-2015, 09:12 PM
Sherman did generally manage in a Belichick way, if you're frame of comparison is BB in NE from 2005 until 2013.

2013 NFL New England Patriots* Lost Conf
2012 NFL New England Patriots* Lost Conf
2011 NFL New England Patriots* Lost SB
2010 NFL New England Patriots* Lost Div
2009 NFL New England Patriots* Lost WC
2008 NFL New England Patriots Did Not Qualify
2007 NFL New England Patriots* Lost SB
2006 NFL New England Patriots* Lost Conf
2005 NFL New England Patriots* Lost Div

Tyrion Lannister
01-06-2015, 09:29 PM
The reasons why you're wrong:

1. Sherman is not Belichick.
2. Green Bay is not Boston.

Even if we have the salary cap space to do something, we still have to posses the actual liquid capital to do the mega-deals that you are proposing. Speaking of those deals, only Revis, a one-year rental really qualifies.

And Green Bay is not SF. That didn't prevent the Packers of the 90's from copying the 49ers strategy for success.

With revenue sharing, Thompson has all the resources he needs to be a player in free agency and trades. Thompson simply lacks the kung-fu of Belichick. In short, incompetent.

KYPack
01-06-2015, 09:34 PM
KY - leave it alone!

Hey Rand!

Blow me.

Enjoy his "funny funny" horseshit trolls while ya can.

Man, they are hilarious.

He's your buddy, remember?

Tyrion Lannister
01-06-2015, 09:41 PM
Sherman did generally manage in a Belichick way, if you're frame of comparison is BB in NE from 2005 until 2013.

Compare and contrast. They're similar.

woodbuck27
01-06-2015, 09:41 PM

2013 NFL New England Patriots* Lost Conf
2012 NFL New England Patriots* Lost Conf
2011 NFL New England Patriots* Lost SB
2010 NFL New England Patriots* Lost Div
2009 NFL New England Patriots* Lost WC
2008 NFL New England Patriots Did Not Qualify
2007 NFL New England Patriots* Lost SB
2006 NFL New England Patriots* Lost Conf
2005 NFL New England Patriots* Lost Div

That's five conference Championship games in nine seasons and two Super Bowl appearances.

That's really good.

George Cumby
01-06-2015, 09:44 PM
Oh. For. Fux. Sake.

BJ Sander.

denverYooper
01-06-2015, 09:46 PM
<shermansleeping.gif>

smuggler
01-06-2015, 09:52 PM
In short, incompetent.

WOE to the 31 teams with the incompetent non-Belichick front offices! WOE AND LAMENT!!

BJ Sander.

R-Kal Truluck

pbmax
01-06-2015, 10:01 PM
It is Woody. But if M3 and T2 went 9 years with 8 playoff appearances and 2 SB losses, all but four people on this board would be ready to scuttle the ship. Someone would paste a Packer logo on that burning Vikings ship pic of Joe's.

There are already several posters who think M3 should be gone for the 1-3 playoff record in the last 3 years.

But more importantly, that post was to stick a pin in Tank's Sherman parade balloon. Sherman was a pop star, a one hit wonder who was trying the same formula over and over to score another hit. Like Nena, Wang Chung, Wall of Voodoo or Wham! He wasn't geared for long term team building. In fact, Sherman wasn't even as long term as Tank's favorite band Coldplay.

Thompson's plan is the only way you can sustain success without drafting high. A lot of swings at the ball. BB is going to have to find a QB soon, Thompson already replaced one legend with another.

George Cumby
01-06-2015, 10:14 PM
Repped for being a teenager in the 80's.

But I can't believe you think Wham! Was a one-hit wonder.

pbmax
01-06-2015, 10:15 PM
Repped for being a teenager in the 80's.

But I can't believe you think Wham! Was a one-hit wonder.

I couldn't wear that T-Shirt any more.

George Cumby
01-06-2015, 10:25 PM
Dear Lord. I now have "Last Christmas" going through my head.

Patler
01-06-2015, 11:13 PM
Sherman was NOT "mortgaging" the future when he cleared up some short-term spaces to sign the likes of Joe Johnson. Sure, Johnson turned out to be a so-called "bust," but the Packers needed a DE at that time and Johnson was the best DE available in free agency.

Third best might be Peppers, too.None of those guys were considered elite free agents. Wood, everybody thought he was washed up. Pickett, fat and married to a hot chick, was easy to lure b/c he didn't need the night life of the big cities. Pepper, past his prime.

The facts favor Belichick in the Belichick Way vs Thompson Way argument. Sherman ran the Packers the Belichick way. If given more time, I seriously believe Sherman woulda won more than a "fluke" SB with the Packers.

So, let me see if I understand correctly. In your opinion, evidence that Sherman was a better GM than TT includes the facts that:

- Sherman was able to sign Joe Johnson, "the best DE available in free agency" who gave the Packers nothing; while
- TT signed Woodson who others thought was washed up but went on to win DPOY and lead the Packers to a Super Bowl win.

Is that right?

woodbuck27
01-06-2015, 11:32 PM
So, let me see if I understand correctly. In your opinion, evidence that Sherman was a better GM than TT includes the facts that:

- Sherman was able to sign Joe Johnson, "the best DE available in free agency" (your words from an earlier post) who gave the Packers nothing; while
- TT signed Woodson who others thought was washed up but went on to win DPOY and lead the Packers to a Super Bowl win.

Is that right?

So there's this sign outside of a Legion that says:

When entering please remove your hat and don't chew gum.

So this little fella get inside and he's wearing a baseball cap on backwards and chewing gum and blowing huge popping bubbles.

Do you smack him up the side of the head? :-)

mraynrand
01-06-2015, 11:35 PM
So this little fella get inside and he's wearing a baseball cap on backwards and chewing gum and blowing huge popping bubbles.

shouldn't this go in the Manziel thread?

woodbuck27
01-06-2015, 11:54 PM
It is Woody. But if M3 and T2 went 9 years with 8 playoff appearances and 2 SB losses, all but four people on this board would be ready to scuttle the ship. Someone would paste a Packer logo on that burning Vikings ship pic of Joe's.

There are already several posters who think M3 should be gone for the 1-3 playoff record in the last 3 years.

But more importantly, that post was to stick a pin in Tank's Sherman parade balloon. Sherman was a pop star, a one hit wonder who was trying the same formula over and over to score another hit. Like Nena, Wang Chung, Wall of Voodoo or Wham! He wasn't geared for long term team building. In fact, Sherman wasn't even as long term as Tank's favorite band Coldplay.

Thompson's plan is the only way you can sustain success without drafting high. A lot of swings at the ball. BB is going to have to find a QB soon, Thompson already replaced one legend with another.

pbmax I'm fairly intense when it comes to my teams doing the best they might. I'm like that because I expect a lot from myself. I observe things carefully and feel I usually arrive at a fair/decent place when it comes to judgement.

There have been things that MM and TT have done that pissed me off. I had to get used to Aaron Rodgers as the Packer QB. I recognize Aaron Rodgers as a very special person and talent. Today I'm in a good place with all three of these important Packer people. I'm positive that what I think/want as a fan matters little in terms of how the Green Bay Packer ship is maintained, equipped and sailed.

Sometimes as a fan I get emotional. I feel disappointment 'only' when I hope for something unrealistic. I do feel disappointment. I get stuff off my chest for a day or two (maybe three) and then get my kilt twisted to where it should be. I don't think it helps to comment either way on Mike Sherman's time as an important hire for the organization. I believe in some ways he did extremely well. He failed in others as us humans are sometimes prone to do.

Ted Thompson had a plan and I hope he challenged himself to improve that plan. RE: Drafting and the numbers game. I like ice cream more than skim milk. I believe that Mike McCarthy has overall been a dedicated HC. I'm impressed that he allows his gifted QB to call a large balance of the plays.

I'm in a happy place as a Green Bay Packer fan.

GO PACKERS ! GO PACK GO !

Cheesehead Craig
01-07-2015, 08:46 AM
First of all, the Cap wasn't in "great" shape when Wolf turned the throne over to Sherman. Remember, it was that Wolf of Lombardi Ave who handed out large contracts to Freeman and Levens, among others.

2ndly, alotta Wolf's core players' contracts were expiring. Sherman efficiently managed to cap to retain them.

Sherman wasn't stupid. He knew the cap was gonna be inflated once the NFL and the Networks struck a new deal. Therefore, Sherman was NOT "mortgaging" the future when he cleared up some short-term spaces to sign the likes of Joe Johnson. Sure, Johnson turned out to be a so-called "bust," but the Packers needed a DE at that time and Johnson was the best DE available in free agency.

When he has a need, you don't see Billechick hibernating in a closet and waiting for the draft.

Btw, Sherman's drafts produced the likes of J-Walk, Kampman, Corey Williams, Barnett, etc. His drafts were far from "horrible."

Sherman made poor choices to not make sure he kept his studly OL together was horrible cap management. That was the heart of the team.

The 4 guys you listed were his entire draft success in 4 years. It was 3 guys really as J-Walk was a cancer. Really can almost be labeled a bust.

Sherman's so good he was fired what, 3 times since 2004? Washed out in college. Yep, just like Belichick since then. But feel free to keep making up your theories of what would have happened with Sherman. History has proven him to be exactly as pb described, a one-hit wonder who had his short time in the sun but was exposed.

But whatever. Stupid discussion to have given you'll just keep trolling this misguided thought process anyway.

KYPack
01-07-2015, 08:49 AM
Sherman made poor choices to not make sure he kept his studly OL together was horrible cap management. That was the heart of the team.

The 4 guys you listed were his entire draft success in 4 years. It was 3 guys really as J-Walk was a cancer. Really can almost be labeled a bust.

Sherman's so good he was fired what, 3 times since 2004? Washed out in college. Yep, just like Belichick since then. But feel free to keep making up your theories of what would have happened with Sherman. History has proven him to be exactly as pb described, a one-hit wonder who had his short time in the sun but was exposed.

But whatever. Stupid discussion to have given you'll just keep trolling this misguided thought process anyway.

CC for leader!

Great post.

If you don't want him trollin', don't him have posting.

pbmax
01-07-2015, 09:54 AM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 19m19 minutes ago
Giants have parted ways with defensive coordinator Perry Fewell, per league source.

Pretty sure he is still a good one.

woodbuck27
01-07-2015, 11:02 AM
I'm trying to re-focus this thread.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2015/01/06/why-mike-shanahan-makes-sense/

Why Mike Shanahan makes sense

Posted on January 6, 2015 at 10:26 pm by Kevin Lynch in ... 49ers, Coaches

Comment woodbuck27:

There's a lot of chatter that when the dust clears that it will be Fangio that they'll go with.

mraynrand
01-07-2015, 12:25 PM
CC for leader!

Great post.

If you don't want him trollin', don't him have posting.

you dummies keep responding

woodbuck27
01-07-2015, 12:45 PM
http://www.ninersnation.com/2015/1/6/7505741/mike-shanahan-kyle-shanahan-package-49ers-head-coach-candidates

Mike Shanahan, Kyle Shanahan might be a package deal for 49ers, others

By: David Fucillo  @NinersNation on Jan 6 2015, 5:29p

Comment woodbuck27:

Are the Shanahan stars aligning again?

pbmax
01-07-2015, 01:19 PM
I will buy a 49ers jersey if it helps get the Shanahans both to San Fransisco. Even the Bears don't deserve that.

woodbuck27
01-07-2015, 01:45 PM
I will buy a 49ers jersey if it helps get the Shanahans both to San Fransisco. Even the Bears don't deserve that.

I like the Bears > the 49ers.

I don't like the Cowboys. I really don't like the 49ers !

Tyrion Lannister
01-07-2015, 01:46 PM

Are you admitting that Coldplay is a great band? Coldplay is indeed great. Greatest rock band since the original Plastic Ono Band.

Tyrion Lannister
01-07-2015, 01:54 PM

Shanahan won 2 SBs. He's a good coach. Or is he but a one hit wonder?

pbmax
01-07-2015, 02:03 PM
Shanahan won 2 SBs. He's a good coach. Or is he but a one hit wonder?

Was a good coach. Have you seen anything since 1998 that argues he remains above average? He did briefly give life to Brian Griese and Jake Plummer. Cutler too, though mediocrity cost both of them their jobs. He had some success when his son ran a modified version of Baylor's offense for RGIII.

But does his track record suggest finding the best fit for Colin Kaepernick? Or, like me, does the saying "square peg in round hole" come to mind?

Tyrion Lannister
01-07-2015, 02:07 PM

WTF are you talking about? Sherman kept Wolf's "studley" OL intact until Thompson showed up. Despite not once having $35 M of cap space to throw down the drain, Sherman was able to retain Clifton, Tausher, Rivera and Wahle. And those guys didn't come cheap. Sherman drafted Wells.

Sherman wasn't given enough time to lead the Packers to the SB. Remember, Thompson's first 4 seasons as GM, he missed the playoffs 3 times with records like 4-12, 6-10 and 8-8. Sherman NEVER missed the playoffs as GM.

I'm not trolling. I will defend Sherman until the sun stops making nuclear babies and morphs into a red dwarf and gollops up the earth.

woodbuck27
01-07-2015, 02:19 PM
This thread is about future NFL team moves RE: Head Coach's and other non player personnel moves.

How did it become about Mike Sherman good or bad or indifferent GM/HC or HC with a Green Bay Packer Team circa 2000-2005!?

Going down that road 'only' leads to 'no good' here at Packerrats.

Tyrion Lannister
01-07-2015, 02:25 PM
This thread is about future NFL team moves RE: Head Coach's and other non player personnel moves.

How did it become about Mike Sherman good or bad or indifferent GM/HC or HC with a Green Bay Packer Team circa 2000-2005!?

Going down that road 'only' leads to 'no good' here at Packerrats.

A'right.

I rest my case. :D

woodbuck27
01-07-2015, 02:30 PM
A'right.

I rest my case. :D

Thatsabest ! :-)

Tyrion Lannister
01-07-2015, 02:38 PM
Was a good coach. Have you seen anything since 1998 that argues he remains above average? He did briefly give life to Brian Griese and Jake Plummer. Cutler too, though mediocrity cost both of them their jobs. He had some success when his son ran a modified version of Baylor's offense for RGIII.

But does his track record suggest finding the best fit for Colin Kaepernick? Or, like me, does the saying "square peg in round hole" come to mind?

I don't think Cutler was average in Denver. He was considered by the experts to be a rising star. New coach, McDaniel, and Cutler couldn't get along.

Would Shanahan be a good fit for the Niners, especially now that they lack a pure WCO QB? Don't know. Don't care.

smuggler
01-07-2015, 02:55 PM
Cutler's QB rank by DVOA, 2007-present

11th, 7th, 30th, 30th, 21st, 27th, 13th, 21st

Rodgers' since 2008:

9th, 4th, 4th, 1st, 4th, 4th, 1st

Does lend to the idea that Cutler was good in Denver.

Zool
01-07-2015, 03:18 PM
WTF are you talking about? Sherman kept Wolf's "studley" OL intact until Thompson showed up. Despite not once having $35 M of cap space to throw down the drain, Sherman was able to retain Clifton, Tausher, Rivera and Wahle. And those guys didn't come cheap. Sherman drafted Wells.

Sherman wasn't given enough time to lead the Packers to the SB. Remember, Thompson's first 4 seasons as GM, he missed the playoffs 3 times with records like 4-12, 6-10 and 8-8. Sherman NEVER missed the playoffs as GM.

I'm not trolling. I will defend Sherman until the sun stops making nuclear babies and morphs into a red dwarf and gollops up the earth.

You should see if www.pearshapedloser.com is available.

ThunderDan
01-07-2015, 03:26 PM
Just a question for Tank, who is the only Packer GM not to win a Super Bowl during his tenure in the last 24 years?

Carolina_Packer
01-07-2015, 03:32 PM
Just a question for Tank, who is the only Packer GM not to win a Super Bowl during his tenure in the last 24 years?

ThunderDan off the top rope, bringing the elbow drop.

mraynrand
01-07-2015, 03:58 PM

absolutely, except the Bears part.

Freak Out
01-07-2015, 06:12 PM
ThunderDan off the top rope, bringing the elbow drop.

The troll has been called on his M2 BS.....don't feed the trolls. :)

George Cumby
01-07-2015, 07:33 PM

Troll feeding aside, How lucky are we as Packers fans?

smuggler
01-07-2015, 10:49 PM
Maybe TT can luck into another title this year. If so, I'm willing to concede his point. Call it whatever you want, as long as we win! :)

woodbuck27
01-08-2015, 07:00 AM

Let it go away...please. Your screwing with this thread.

woodbuck27
01-08-2015, 07:34 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Mark Davis: I’m not an Xs and Os guy, John Madden helps me

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 8, 2015, 8:16 AM EST

pbmax
01-08-2015, 07:46 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/what-if-tony-romo-had-become-a-packer-b99421331z1-287879551.html

Tom Rossley versus Shaun Herock and Mark Hatley

No contest. Always listen to your coaches.

Jose Fuentes > Tony Romo

woodbuck27
01-08-2015, 07:56 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/08/report-giants-want-to-interview-raheem-morris-for-defensive-coordinator/

Post Firing of Former GIANTS DC Perry Fewell:

Report: Giants want to interview Raheem Morris (Washington Redskins DB Coach) for DC position.

Posted by Josh Alper on January 8, 2015, 7:11 AM EST

MadScientist
01-08-2015, 08:06 AM

Mark Davis: I’m not an Xs and Os guy, John Madden helps me

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 8, 2015, 8:16 AM EST
Direct link:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/08/mark-davis-im-not-an-xs-and-os-guy-john-madden-helps-me/

What jumps out at me is that it that the owner is going outside the organization in the coach hiring process. Should be McKenzie's responsibility, otherwise it's a 'too many cooks' situation.

Interesting that with all the openings, none have been filled so far. A lot of teams must be waiting on playoff coordinators. Packers haven't been targeted this year, but that is not too surprising given their coordinators.

woodbuck27
01-08-2015, 08:21 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/what-if-tony-romo-had-become-a-packer-b99421331z1-287879551.html

Tom Rossley versus Shaun Herock and Mark Hatley

No contest. Always listen to your coaches.

Jose Fuentes > Tony Romo

http://www.kffl.com/player/7616/nfl/jose-fuentes

He almost lasted six days. OK..... let's give him six days as a Green Bay Packer prospect.

Jose Fuentes was *** distinguished as an Aggie (4-7 in 2002) QB and rated 43 out of 44 QB's by Draft Scout:

http://www.nationalchamps.net/2003/sub/teams/utahstate.htm

*** Jose Fuentes set career (9,168) and season (3,268 - Final Year) yardage records as an Utah Aggie when he left school to enter the draft. Fuentes owned most every school passing record at that time.

woodbuck27
01-08-2015, 08:24 AM
" Interesting that with all the openings, none have been filled so far." Mad Scientist

It's an important decision that doesn't need to be rushed.

Fritz
01-08-2015, 08:46 AM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 19m19 minutes ago
Giants have parted ways with defensive coordinator Perry Fewell, per league source.

Pretty sure he is still a good one.

If the Packer defense doesn't play well Sunday, this will add Fewell to the fire.

woodbuck27
01-08-2015, 08:53 AM
If the Packer defense doesn't play well Sunday, this will add Fewell to the fire.

I don't even want to imagine a Packer loss Vs Dallas.

That cannot happen.

A Packer loss @ home Vs Dallas is a sure sign that the Packers need some key changes.

I'm not referring to TT or MM here. They are LOCKS in Green Bay.

woodbuck27
01-08-2015, 09:02 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/08/jets-want-second-interview-with-mike-maccagnan/

Jets want second interview with Mike Maccagnan

Posted by Josh Alper on January 8, 2015, 9:36 AM EST

Comment woodbuck27:

Jon Robinson or Mike Maccagnan (someone else?).

Fritz
01-08-2015, 09:21 AM
Please Shanny to da Pubic Bears.

woodbuck27
01-08-2015, 10:02 AM

Kyle Shanahan, Dowell Loggains departing Browns

Posted by Mike Wilkening on January 8, 2015, 10:53 AM EST

Comment woodbuck27:

Somethings brewing !

woodbuck27
01-08-2015, 08:29 PM
http://grantland.com/features/rexs-last-stand/

Rex’s Last Stand

" Rex Ryan’s incredible run as the Jets’ leading man ended in spectacular, Chernobyl-level disaster. But does anyone doubt he’ll be back — bigger than ever? "

by: Matt Taibbi on January 6, 2015

Comment woodbuck27:

What do you think?