PDA

View Full Version : "Michael John McCarthy is one of the great coaches in the NFL."

denverYooper
12-01-2014, 09:25 AM
Some of us have been saying it for a while. We are spoiled to have M3. This nugget in MMQB (http://mmqb.si.com/2014/12/01/patriots-packers-super-bowl-nfl-week-13/7/)

This lead from our Greg Bedard of The MMQB, from his piece that we’ll have up later today, about it being time to appreciate Green Bay coach Mike McCarthy: “As far as the customary post-game handshake between coaches, New England’s Bill Belichick usually goes with the less-is-more approach, especially after close losses like Sunday’s 26-21 defeat at the hands of the Packers. That’s why it was so significant that at Lambeau Field, Belichick and McCarthy embraced, and then Belichick spent several seconds talking to McCarthy, with a few headshakes mixed it for emphasis. Translation: ‘That’s a damn fine football team you have that was hell to prepare and play against. You guys do a great job.’ It certainly helps that the two teams are in different conferences and only meet once every four years (if McCarthy was in the AFC East, it wouldn’t happen regularly, if at all), but that should not diminish the symbolism of the moment. It certainly wasn’t lost on me, someone who has covered both men up close in my career. Here was Belichick, certainly the best coach in the NFL today, if not ever, clueing us all on this fact: Michael John McCarthy is one of the great coaches in the NFL. And it’s time for everyone to regard him as such.”

It's time to recognize.

oldbutnotdeadyet
12-01-2014, 09:52 AM
Some of us have been saying it for a while. We are spoiled to have M3. This nugget in MMQB (http://mmqb.si.com/2014/12/01/patriots-packers-super-bowl-nfl-week-13/7/)

It's time to recognize.

Not sure I agree, he sometimes appears to make boneheaded decisions, but if he gets us another superbowl this year, I will convert...

channtheman
12-01-2014, 09:54 AM
Another Super Bowl will elevate both Rodgers and MM to the next level. One Super Bowl is great but tons of coaches and QB's have done that.

denverYooper
12-01-2014, 09:57 AM
Here' Bedard's article: http://mmqb.si.com/2014/12/01/mike-mccarthy-green-bay-packers/

There is a certain segment of the Packers’ fan base that compares all who follow to Vince Lombardi and think world championships are a birthright. They will not give McCarthy his due until he adds another Super Bowl ring to his résumé, and even that might not be good enough.

pbmax
12-01-2014, 10:02 AM
He deserves that and more. But no one tell him and mess up what is currently working.

Does everyone realize we still haven't heard his contract numbers yet? Does that happen anymore?

Or did I just miss it?

gbgary
12-01-2014, 10:31 AM
mehcarthy coached one of his best games yesterday. no complaints.

Bossman641
12-01-2014, 10:32 AM
Nah, he's just a fat idiot who is riding the coattails of Favre and Rodgers :roll:

In reality, MM has been underappreciated by NFL fans and especially Packer fans for a number of years. Dude is an offensive genius and is normally on the front edge of innovation in the NFL. Recall the "Big 5" package and how MM was one of the first NFL coaches to heavily utilize this package and go to more of a spread offense in general. Yesterday was probably one of his best called games in a while: the use of Cobb in the backfield for the wheel route, the 3rd down play with Cobb and Lacy in the backfield with the fake to Lacy and quick out to Cobb.

He might stick with players or certain playcalling a little too long, but that's because he has conviction in what he is doing. And has been proven right more often than not.

mraynrand
12-01-2014, 10:38 AM
The thing about Stubby that's great is he doesn't care about any of the ancillary crap. he doesn't have the swelled ego that tells him he knows everything about personnel and the organization. The guy just wants to coach football, specifically the offensive side of it. And he's very good at it. One of his greatest attributes - his stubbornness can be his greatest flaw at times, but greatness isn't all or nothing. The only thing he needs to do to secure his place along side Vince as greatest coach ever is to coach a high school basketball team to a state championship.

Harlan Huckleby
12-01-2014, 10:47 AM
I think all posters who refer to MMM as "Fat Mike" should be required to submit their own BMI number.

Carolina_Packer
12-01-2014, 11:20 AM
MM seems like a person who does not forget where he came from. You also hear about coaches/players who talk about being dogged by the losses more than basking in the victories. Need a little humble pie if you are MM? Then read this: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=330112025

It would be nice to have another home playoff game against them this year and finally get that monkey off their collective back.

Rutnstrut
12-01-2014, 03:31 PM
He called a great game Sunday, no stupid gadget plays or ill advised challenges. However I am not ready to forgive stubby for all his bone headed shit yet, I'm sure sometime yet this season he will revert. Especially when a game does not go according to how he has it scripted.

Patler
12-01-2014, 03:46 PM
When it works, he called a great game, kept the opponent off balance and was unpredictable. When it doesn't work, he called too many stupid gadget plays.

No one is perfect. I would bet most Patriots fans today think Belichik blew it, and with the defense shutting out the Packers in the red zone, the game was there to be won, if he would have used Gronkowski more, ran more, etc.

woodbuck27
12-01-2014, 05:15 PM

It's time to recognize.

Recognize Mike McCarthy for what!? Doesn't he already get enough sand pounded up his ass? Mike McCarthy is obviously a very solid Head Coach. He should have a solid winning percentage coaching Brett Favre and now Aaron Rodgers. Two certain HOFers.

I want to see if he can coach the team to another Super Bowl before I elevate his status to 'One Of The Best'.

Tyrion Lannister
12-01-2014, 05:31 PM
Recognize Mike McCarthy for what!? Doesn't he already get enough sand pounded up his ass? Mike McCarthy is obviously a very solid Head Coach. He should have a solid winning percentage coaching Brett Favre and now Aaron Rodgers. Two certain HOFers.

I want to see if he can coach the team to another Super Bowl before I elevate his status to 'One Of The Best'.

Agreed.

Btw, McCarthy hasn't done shit in the playoffs since SB 45. Many times he was outcoached.

ThunderDan
12-01-2014, 05:40 PM
MM is constantly disrespected by Packer fans. Terms like stubby and fat Mike are meant to disparage him.

GB is lucky to have a coach like MM.

Maxie the Taxi
12-01-2014, 05:42 PM
MM is constantly disrespected by Packer fans. Terms like stubby and fat Mike are meant to disparage him.

GB is lucky to have a coach like MM.
I think Stubby and Fat Mike are terms of endearment.

ThunderDan
12-01-2014, 05:43 PM
I think Stubby and Fat Mike are terms of endearment.

My ass they are.

Joemailman
12-01-2014, 05:46 PM
He's fat and he never makes halftime adjustments. Bring back Mike Sherman

Tyrion Lannister
12-01-2014, 05:46 PM
I think all posters who refer to MMM as "Fat Mike" should be required to submit their own BMI number.

Lets start with Red :).

Maxie the Taxi
12-01-2014, 05:54 PM
My ass they are.

I can only speak for myself. I think he's a great coach. Like Rand said, his stubbornness is a quality that's both good and bad. I used to criticize him for advocating the running game but not rushing the ball, even when we had Grant. Now my only complaint about him is his ill-advised challenges and inconsistent game management.

Maxie the Taxi
12-01-2014, 05:57 PM

I think all posters should submit their blood alcohol level to... ... Oh well, never mind.

pbmax
12-01-2014, 06:00 PM
Brings to mind an obvious question: If McCarthy should retire before Thompson, who do you want him to hire as successor to Mike the 3rd?

Mike Smith
Mike Tomlin
Mike McCoy
Mike Pettine
Mike Zimmer
Mike Trgovac (DL-Packers)
Mike Nolan (DC-Falcons)
Mike Tice (OL-Falcons)
Mike Devlin (OL-Jets)
Mike McDaiel (WR-Browns)
Mike Munchak (OL-Steelers)
Mike Vrabel (LB-Texans)
Mike Gillhamer (DB-Colts)
Mike Rutenberg (aDB-Jags)
Mike Mallory (ST-Jags)
Mike Mularkey (TE-Titans)
Mike Sullivan (aOL-Titans)
Mike Pope (TE-Cowboys)
Mike Dawson (aDL-Eagles)
Mike Groh (WR-Bears)
Mike Priefer (ST-Vikes)
Mike Shula (OC-Panthers)
Mike Neu (QB-Saints)
Mike Phair (aDL-Bucs)(brother of Liz?)
Mike Caldwell (LB-Cards)
Mike Waufle (DL-Rams)
Mike Solari (OL-49ers)

And that's just the pro ranks. Someone needs to find the 97 potential Mike HCs in the FBS Subdivision.

Maxie the Taxi
12-01-2014, 06:17 PM
Mike Shanahan?

Freak Out
12-01-2014, 06:23 PM
Mike Shanahan?

FUCK NO!

Maxie the Taxi
12-01-2014, 06:25 PM
By the way, if Mike Holmgren came back to Green Bay, would he be Mike the 1st, Mike the 4th or Mike the 5th (1st plus 4th)?

Joemailman
12-01-2014, 07:21 PM
By the way, if Mike Holmgren came back to Green Bay, would he be Mike the 1st, Mike the 4th or Mike the 5th (1st plus 4th)?

That would make him the Grover Cleveland of Packer Mike coaches. Ol' Grover was the 22nd and 24 President.

Come to think of it, they kind of look alike.
http://www.worldbook.com/images/stories/grover-cleveland-300px-pic.jpghttp://sports.cbsimg.net/images/blogs/mike_holmgren_04302012.jpg

Joemailman
12-01-2014, 07:35 PM

So, if that's the standard, is anybody other than Belichick and Coughlin "One Of The Best"? They are the only active coaches with more than 1 Lombardi Trophy. There are only 7 active head coaches with a Lombardi Trophy.

pbmax
12-01-2014, 07:56 PM
Mike Shanahan?

Dammit!

Mike Shanahan
Mike Smith
Mike Tomlin
Mike McCoy
Mike Pettine
Mike Zimmer
Mike Nolan (DC-Falcons)
Mike Tice (OL-Falcons)
Mike Devlin (OL-Jets)
Mike McDaiel (WR-Browns)
Mike Vrabel (LB-Texans)
Mike Mallory (ST-Jags)
Mike Pope (TE-Cowboys)
Mike Dawson (aDL-Eagles)
Mike Groh (WR-Bears)
Mike Priefer (ST-Vikes)
Mike Shula (OC-Panthers)
Mike Neu (QB-Saints)
Mike Caldwell (LB-Cards)
Mike Waufle (DL-Rams)
Mike Solari (OL-49ers)

woodbuck27
12-01-2014, 08:01 PM
So, if that's the standard, is anybody other than Belichick and Coughlin "One Of The Best"? They are the only active coaches with more than 1 Lombardi Trophy. There are only 7 active head coaches with a Lombardi Trophy.

I'm referring to ' One Of The BEST ' ALL TIME NFL Head Coach's.

Today he would rank as one of the BEST HC's in the NFL. He has an excellent Regular Season winning percentage.

Mike McCarthy hasn't shown us much since our last Super Bowl in the post season. Please check that out.

King Friday
12-01-2014, 08:10 PM
McCarthy deserves major applause after his performance in compiling and executing a gameplan capable of catching perhaps the greatest coach of all time on his heels at times. Too often, McCarthy has come up small in big moments following his successful championship run. He has allowed himself to become stale and predictable. Not this time. Starting with the bye week, McCarthy and his coaching staff have successfully navigated the defense from being porous to being proud. McCarthy has found ways to give all the talent at the offensive skill positions a chance to show their mettle. He managed and massaged egos during several crucial roster shakeups...and the team appears to be stronger for it.

McCarthy still has some things to prove. He has the opportunity to guide this team to a #1 seed...with a trip to the Super Bowl well within reach. This is not an opportunity that a great coach will waste. Based on this week's performance, it doesn't appear that McCarthy is going to let that happen. Belichick doesn't give out fake praise...he went out of his way to praise the Packers, especially the coaching staff. Hoodie knew he was out coached on this occasion...and in all the years he has been coach of the Patriots, that reality has not been apparent to him very often.

King Friday
12-01-2014, 08:11 PM
GB is lucky to have a coach like MM as long as he isn't challenging a call on the field.

Fixed.

Joemailman
12-01-2014, 08:18 PM
I'm referring to ' One Of The BEST ' ALL TIME NFL Head Coach's.

Today he would rank as one of the BEST HC's in the NFL. He has an excellent Regular Season winning percentage.

Mike McCarthy hasn't shown us much since our last Super Bowl in the post season. Please check that out.

Fair enough. Since the premise of the article was (I believe) that MM is one of the best coaches currently in the NFL, I thought that's what you were questioning. I don't think there is really anyone trying to suggest that he is one of the greatest coaches of all time. Not yet.

King Friday
12-01-2014, 08:36 PM
Only an idiot would argue that McCarthy isn't one of the 5 best coaches currently in the NFL. He's won almost 2/3 of his games. The guy has a track record of amazing success as an offensive mind and QB guru going back to his days at Kansas City. Rich Gannon was written off until McCarthy coached him in KC and laid the groundwork for his amazing late career resurrection in Oakland. Aaron Brooks' short lived success in the NFL was probably mostly due to McCarthy. In an NFL where the QB is paramount, McCarthy is probably the gold standard currently in terms of raising the level of play of his QBs.

Or at least Matt Flynn's bank account says so.

woodbuck27
12-01-2014, 08:42 PM
McCarthy deserves major applause after his performance in compiling and executing a gameplan capable of catching perhaps the greatest coach of all time on his heels at times. Too often, McCarthy has come up small in big moments following his successful championship run. He has allowed himself to become stale and predictable. Not this time. Starting with the bye week, McCarthy and his coaching staff have successfully navigated the defense from being porous to being proud. McCarthy has found ways to give all the talent at the offensive skill positions a chance to show their mettle. He managed and massaged egos during several crucial roster shakeups...and the team appears to be stronger for it.

McCarthy still has some things to prove. He has the opportunity to guide this team to a #1 seed...with a trip to the Super Bowl well within reach. This is not an opportunity that a great coach will waste. Based on this week's performance, it doesn't appear that McCarthy is going to let that happen. Belichick doesn't give out fake praise...he went out of his way to praise the Packers, especially the coaching staff. Hoodie knew he was out coached on this occasion...and in all the years he has been coach of the Patriots, that reality has not been apparent to him very often.

Good post. Repped.

I too was amazed at the overwhelming praise from Bill Belichick in his post game presser.

I had to pinch myself over that reaction from Hoody Genius.

Patler
12-01-2014, 09:00 PM
Agreed.

Btw, McCarthy hasn't done shit in the playoffs since SB 45. Many times he was outcoached.

How can you tell when someone is "out-coached" as opposed to players not executing?

George Cumby
12-01-2014, 09:51 PM
How can you tell when someone is "out-coached" as opposed to players not executing?

One of the questions I've always had is: when is poor execution on the part of the players a reflection of poor coaching? I thinks the two are pretty well intertwined.

Big-boned Mike is a solid coach and there have been times I've been down right enamored by him. One of the traits which I really like about him is his leadership but there are times when he's a rigid and prone to brain farts.

The potential is there for him to cement his legacy this season and I hope he does so.

Harlan Huckleby
12-01-2014, 10:50 PM
Brings to mind an obvious question: If McCarthy should retire before Thompson, who do you want him to hire as successor to Mike the 3rd?

Ditka!

Joemailman
12-01-2014, 10:58 PM

Best Mike available. Trust the board.

woodbuck27
12-02-2014, 06:01 AM
Ditka!

Hahahahaha

Carolina_Packer
12-02-2014, 06:13 AM
I see your Mike and raise you a pair; too much Mularkey?

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/2812/449/1600/mike-sherman-sleeping.jpg

or get caught looking at Melissa Stark's pair...

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/2812/449/400/captureD54.jpg

Eyes up here, pal!

mraynrand
12-02-2014, 07:01 AM
^^^ Perky!

mraynrand
12-02-2014, 07:03 AM
That would make him the Grover Cleveland of Packer Mike coaches. Ol' Grover was the 22nd and 24 President.

http://www.worldbook.com/images/stories/grover-cleveland-300px-pic.jpghttp://sports.cbsimg.net/images/blogs/mike_holmgren_04302012.jpg

Damn that's a great post. All you need is Holmy with a bow tie.

woodbuck27
12-02-2014, 07:10 AM

Mike Smith
Mike Tomlin
Mike McCoy
Mike Pettine
Mike Zimmer
Mike Nolan (DC-Falcons)
Mike Tice (OL-Falcons)
Mike Devlin (OL-Jets)
Mike McDaiel (WR-Browns)
Mike Vrabel (LB-Texans)
Mike Mallory (ST-Jags)
Mike Pope (TE-Cowboys)
Mike Dawson (aDL-Eagles)
Mike Groh (WR-Bears)
Mike Priefer (ST-Vikes)
Mike Shula (OC-Panthers)
Mike Neu (QB-Saints)
Mike Caldwell (LB-Cards)
Mike Waufle (DL-Rams)
Mike Solari (OL-49ers)

And that's just the pro ranks. Someone needs to find the 97 potential Mike HCs in the FBS Subdivision.

Geee pbmax ! How much time do you have on your hands? That's impressive research. :-)

woodbuck27
12-02-2014, 07:13 AM

Holy cow ! It's a reincarnation !!

woodbuck27
12-02-2014, 10:39 AM
Fair enough. Since the premise of the article was (I believe) that MM is one of the best coaches currently in the NFL, I thought that's what you were questioning. I don't think there is really anyone trying to suggest that he is one of the greatest coaches of all time. Not yet.

Wheeeeeuuu !

I post here seeking your approval. :-)

mraynrand
12-02-2014, 11:39 AM
Wheeeeeuuu !

I post here seeking your approval. :-)

you're not going to get it

Harlan Huckleby
12-02-2014, 05:20 PM
http://i.guim.co.uk/static/w-620/h--/q-95/sys-images/Sport/Pix/columnists/2014/1/24/1390564605630/Mike-Tyson-008.jpg

I've warmed up to Iron Mike. He is a funny and smart guy, warts and all, and I believe he is a changed man.

mraynrand
12-02-2014, 05:29 PM
I've warmed up to Iron Mike.

where the hell IS iron mike - and easy cheesy, 007, the micro rat, basket, ahhhh hell, who cares...must...break..addiction.....

vince
12-03-2014, 06:09 PM
More McCarthy love from the coaching ranks...

The Best Offensive Minds (http://mmqb.si.com/2014/12/02/nfl-mike-martz-adam-gase-mike-mccoy-mike-mccarthy-best-offensive-minds/)

Great football tickles Mike Martz. Outstanding audibles make him squeal. Well-drawn-up plays send him into man-crush mode.

“You want to talk about a great coach?” he asks. “Check out Mike McCarthy.”

His level of preparation is what stands out the most.

McCarthy knows that when he’s in a certain personnel, [Vikings head coach Mike] Zimmer will leave the safety on the short side of the field responsible for half the field with the safety and the other cornerback responsible for the other half. His stat guy is telling him that.

mraynrand
12-03-2014, 07:16 PM
More McCarthy love from the coaching ranks...

The Best Offensive Minds (http://mmqb.si.com/2014/12/02/nfl-mike-martz-adam-gase-mike-mccoy-mike-mccarthy-best-offensive-minds/)

Fitting then, that his favorite book isn’t one of the Lombardi biographies or the spiritual tome My Utmost for His Highest, sitting within arm’s reach on the auburn desk inside the basement office of his San Diego home. It’s 1776, David McCullough’s telling of the bloody birth of the United States. Of particular interest to Martz are the military exploits of the Revolutionary War’s most famous general.

“I kind of thought I knew George Washington and his career,” he says. “But the author wrote this book so personally. Washington never buckled, and if he did, nobody ever knew about it.

“The thing I really admire is he was always a step ahead. Even though it might have hurt him, the emotion of losing New York, you have to find a way to get back in the fight. That’s a lot like football: Take the emotion out of it and fix the problem.”

"Even though it might have hurt him, the emotion of losing to New York, you have to find a way to get back in the fight."

Stubby can relate....

woodbuck27
12-03-2014, 08:25 PM
you're not going to get it

Are you into one of your spells?

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSzCbTXWkLERlv2-OqewAy5A07TV0PGOQoW1YeM_40TX_vg33vR

woodbuck27
12-03-2014, 08:29 PM
where the hell IS iron mike - and easy cheesy, 007, the micro rat, basket, ahhhh hell, who cares...must...break..addiction.....

People come ... people go ... anyway the wind blows.

woodbuck27, Bossman641, Bretsky, channtheman, denverYooper,
George Cumby, Guiness+, HarveyWallbangers, Joemailman, JustinHarrell,
LP, MadScientist, Maxie the Taxi, pbmax, sharpe1027, Teamcheez1, wist43

ARE here !

Harlan Huckleby
12-03-2014, 09:37 PM

The good, they die young

George Cumby
12-03-2014, 11:20 PM
http://i.guim.co.uk/static/w-620/h--/q-95/sys-images/Sport/Pix/columnists/2014/1/24/1390564605630/Mike-Tyson-008.jpg

I've warmed up to Iron Mike. He is a funny and smart guy, warts and all, and I believe he is a changed man.

Me too. I saw some bit with him and he was disarmingly candid and really self critical. I forget what it was, but it didn't reek like the typical celebrity contrition shtick.

woodbuck27
01-22-2015, 06:12 PM
Mike McCarthy is one of the very best NFL coach's in regular season games.

mmmdk
01-25-2015, 06:52 PM
This is for you, Stubby...and yeah, Aaron Rodgers is not good enough for (Geez):

Wish It, Want It, You Blew It.

You wish you were a millionaire.
You want more money.
Guess what.
You blew it.

You wish you could change the neighborhood.
You want to be a selectman.
You blew it.

You wish you could open up a restaurant.
You did not want to pay protection money.
Knock, knock.
Who's there?
You blew it.

You blew it who? You blew it bad.
You know what the last page of the book is? A mirror.
So you can see exactly who blew it.
Being you. (Stubby)

Thanks Vinny. You nailed it. LOL.

mraynrand
01-25-2015, 08:46 PM
Mike McCarthy is one of the very best NFL coach's in regular season games.

if only he could win the Superbowl every year, just like all the other coaches in the NFL.

Joemailman
01-25-2015, 10:08 PM
MM is one of 8 active head coaches to have won a Super Bowl. Only Belichick and Coughlin have won more than one.

mmmdk
01-25-2015, 10:30 PM
MM is one of 8 active head coaches to have won a Super Bowl. Only Belichick and Coughlin have won more than one.

*SIGH* Dear toddler nation, why only compare Stubby to active coaches? Oh, 'cos it suits an argument for Stubby's "greatness" and Packers're not the Lions...bla bla bla.
Yup, disregard Lombardi, Parcells, etc. History is sham I guess [for toddler nations].

I do acknowledge that McCarthy is a good coach, just not great.

Still, you still blew it, Stubby...or maybe it's the guy that hired you!? But I still like TT's style - but darn it, TT is human too. GB now with nearly 25 years with 2 sublime QBs and yet only 2 trophies. Russell Wilson has been QB how long?...you better hope Brady wins a 4th trophy then! :lol: And what a difference a great coach would be right now in GB.

It's Titletown. Expect greatness. Even in the year 2525.

Joemailman
01-25-2015, 10:41 PM
*SIGH* Dear toddler nation, why only compare Stubby to active coaches? Oh, 'cos it suits an argument for Stubby's "greatness" and Packers're not the Lions...bla bla bla.
Yup, disregard Lombardi, Parcells, etc. History is sham I guess [for toddler nations].

Still, you still blew it, Stubby...or maybe it's the guy that hired you!? But I still like TT's style - but darn it, TT is human too. GB now with nearly 25 years with 2 sublime QBs and yet only 2 trophies. Russell Wilson has been QB how long?...you better hope Brady wins a 4th trophy then! :lol: And what a difference a great coach would be right now in GB.

Well, if New England wants to give us Belichick, let me know. Until then, I'll be glad we have McCarthy who is one of the top coaches in the NFL. Having a great QB is no guarantee of multiple Super Bowls. Ask Dan Marino. Or Peyton Manning. Or Drew Brees.

mraynrand
01-25-2015, 11:05 PM
GB now with nearly 25 years with 2 sublime QBs and yet only 2 trophies.

Sublime!

https://packergeeks.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/favres-pick.jpg

mraynrand
01-25-2015, 11:06 PM
Hey, wasn't I sublime too?

http://photos.imageevent.com/afap/sports/football/nflteams/miamidolphins/giant/Dan%20Marino%20-2.jpg

hoosier
01-26-2015, 08:17 AM

So by your metric Pete Carrol must be a great coach....And Barry Switzer is just as good as McCarthy. Gotchya.

mraynrand
01-26-2015, 08:25 AM
So by your metric .... Barry Switzer is just as good as McCarthy. Gotchya.

Zong!!

Barry Switzer = Rod Marinelli without brains

woodbuck27
01-26-2015, 03:35 PM
After what I've carefully gone over in analysis of that huge loss in Seattle I will respect Mike McCarthy if he makes at least two out of three of these moves.

If he makes all three my dog will lick his face.:

a) He must FIRE ST Co-ordinator Shawn Slocum. Incidently besides all the obvious Mason Crosby's game tieing FG came withing one more finger joint of being totally deflected and was 'in fact' partially deflected. That game came within an inch of not even getting to OT.

b) Mike McCarthy must FIRE DC Dom Capers.

With 7:01 remaining in the 4th Quarter and leading 19-7. It's obvious that Clay Matthews was removed from the game. It matters little why as the fact the teams best defensive player was not made available. Clay Matthews looked fine at that time and after Morgan Burnett's pick and slide he was in full celebration with too many others on the Packer sideline. With 5:04 remaining in the 4th Quarter there was plenty of game left.

Clay Matthews was certainly one of the strongest defenders on that day and he was needed for a full game. He was needed 'in the game' not lolly dogging on the sideline.

c) Mike McCarthy must at least ensure bringing in competition for punter Tim Mathsay.

He punted poorly down the stretch and looked bad in the NFC Championship game. Find a punter with a leg please.

4-4-GB 19 (5:22) 8-T.Masthay punts 37 yards to SEA 44, Center-61-B.Goode. 19-B.Walters to SEA 46 for 2 yards (31-D.House; 86-B.Bostick).

4-14-GB 39 (4:00) 8-T.Masthay punts 30 yards to SEA 31, Center-61-B.Goode, out of bounds.

ThunderDan
01-26-2015, 04:34 PM
With 7:01 remaining in the 4th Quarter and leading 19-7. It's obvious that Clay Matthews was removed from the game. It matters little why as the fact the teams best defensive player was not made available.

That pretty much sums your post up. It matters little why he wasn't on the field. Of course it matters.

If the Packers had thrown at Sherman after his arm injury and we scored a TD, all of the SEA fans and media would be screaming why would you keep an injured player on the field!

pbmax
01-26-2015, 05:14 PM
c) Mike McCarthy must at least ensure bringing in competition for punter Tim Mathsay.

He punted poorly down the stretch and looked bad in the NFC Championship game. Find a punter with a leg please.

4-4-GB 19 (5:22) 8-T.Masthay punts 37 yards to SEA 44, Center-61-B.Goode. 19-B.Walters to SEA 46 for 2 yards (31-D.House; 86-B.Bostick).

4-14-GB 39 (4:00) 8-T.Masthay punts 30 yards to SEA 31, Center-61-B.Goode, out of bounds.

Does it count if Ted does it?

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 24s24 seconds ago
#Packers sign former Alabama punter Cody Mandell. Tim Masthay will have competition at least for the off-season.

Then consider it done.

woodbuck27
01-26-2015, 07:35 PM
Does it count if Ted does it?

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 24s24 seconds ago
#Packers sign former Alabama punter Cody Mandell. Tim Masthay will have competition at least for the off-season.

Then consider it done.

Yes that's some hope right there.

Look how excited my dog 'Jabbers' is !

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT7E7VJ3VTXYK1VzCQ4xkzHwQxfAVRcn FKx7l8ZU_giXauQQPfe