PDA

View Full Version : The Rise of Charles Johnson - Fall of Cordarrelle Patterson

woodbuck27
12-03-2014, 12:50 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2286588-tracking-the-rise-of-charles-johnson-and-fall-of-cordarrelle-patterson

Tracking the Rise of Charles Johnson and Fall of Cordarrelle Patterson

By Zach Kruse , Featured Columnist ... Dec 2, 2014

MadScientist
12-03-2014, 02:09 PM
And if Packers trainers knew what a torn ACL looks like, he could still be here and making this offense even better.

mraynrand
12-03-2014, 02:21 PM
And if Packers trainers knew what a torn ACL looks like, he could still be here and making this offense even better.

kinda inspires confidence to miss something like that, doesn't it?

MadScientist
12-03-2014, 02:25 PM

You have to wonder how they could tell Shields has a concussion when they aren't sure what a head looks like.

Tyrion Lannister
12-03-2014, 02:42 PM
Charles Johnson has it.

mraynrand
12-03-2014, 04:15 PM
You have to wonder how they could tell Shields has a concussion when they aren't sure what a head looks like.

I bet they have some training:

http://www.vintagetoyroom.com/review/img/smoking1.jpg

Teamcheez1
12-03-2014, 05:48 PM
Charles Johnson has 17 career catches. I'm not ready to call that "ascending".

pbmax
12-03-2014, 06:39 PM

And here Ted spends valuable time making up injuries to stuff guys on IR and they missed the easiest one.

MadScientist
12-03-2014, 09:33 PM

Look at who throws to him. Bridgewater may be better than Ponder, but just how many times did he miss an open Johnson in just the Packers game.

smuggler
12-03-2014, 11:09 PM
Seem to recall Chuck dropped one in that game, also...

As for missing the ACL tear, it's not as hard as you'd think. Slight tear that's still largely functional and has very muted symptoms... It was embarrassing at the time because our medical staff also botched a diagnosis on Jennings.

Johnson looks solid, but I'll take Adams and smile. :3

Fritz
12-04-2014, 10:28 AM
I dunno. Maybe Adams and Johnson instead of Adams and Boykin?

They seemed to have chosen that Maryland kid (he's on IR now) instead of Johnson back then. Mighta been the wrong choice.

ThunderDan
12-04-2014, 10:30 AM

My thoughts exactly. When he has more than 50 catches in a season then I will care.

Guiness
12-04-2014, 12:27 PM

They seemed to have chosen that Maryland kid (he's on IR now) instead of Johnson back then. Mighta been the wrong choice.

I'm waiting for KY to chime in - he's got some pretty strong opinions on what a tool (as opposed to the 'toolbelt' that Chastin West was ) he is, and that he's likely to self-destruct or talk his way out of the dressing room.

Cheesehead Craig
12-04-2014, 12:34 PM
Johnson's been targeted by default. Patterson is real close to that "bust" label as he has issues with physical DBs, is a poor route runner and pouts. Jennings is mailing it in and collecting his checks until he can get out of there. There really is no other alternative.

Fritz
12-04-2014, 12:43 PM
For a hot minute the talk from national announcers was that once Cordarelle Patterson learned to run some routes, which was supposed to come via simple experience playing, that he would be the next big receiver in the NFL. This upward trajectory seems to have been cut short. I wonder what happened, or if it's all manufactured perceptions?

smuggler
12-04-2014, 02:52 PM
Or maybe he's a good player being wasted on a team that hasn't been able to reliably utilize its receivers since 2009?

KYPack
12-04-2014, 08:06 PM
I'm waiting for KY to chime in - he's got some pretty strong opinions on what a tool (as opposed to the 'toolbelt' that Chastin West was ) he is, and that he's likely to self-destruct or talk his way out of the dressing room.

He did a lot of stupid shit as a kid. Grand Valley was his 4th college fer instance. He's not a partyer or a doper and is kind of a humble kid. He's 25 now, college was long and hard on the boy. I never thought he'd stick as an NFL WR bc of his lack of experience, but he is doing some good for the Vikes.

I'd have bet a billon on Patterson having a much better year than CJ.

The kid has the physical package maybe he's getting his mind right.

woodbuck27
12-05-2014, 09:43 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikings/post/_/id/11355/turner-says-charles-johnson-is-vikings-starter-at-cordarrelle-pattersons-position

Turner says Charles Johnson is Vikings' starter at Cordarrelle Patterson's position

December, 4, 2014 1:40 PM ET

By: Ben Goessling | ESPN.com

woodbuck27
01-06-2015, 12:49 PM
http://blog.startribune.com/sports/access-vikings/if-patterson-flames-out-as-receiver-johnson-still-could-rise-from-the-rubble

If Patterson flames out as receiver, (Charles) Johnson still could rise from the rubble

Posted by: Mark Craig Updated January 6th at 11:57am

gbgary
01-06-2015, 06:34 PM

lol, this!

vince
01-06-2015, 07:00 PM
When you have a roster of young developing players as strong and deep as Green Bay's there are going to be some that get away and become something elsewhere. They tried to hang onto Johnson on the P.S. but he got away. Not the first and definitely won't be the last guy who becomes a serviceable player but isn't ready to break GB's roster quickly enough. Good for him that he's making it in the league but I'd be shocked if he becomes much more than a JAG receiver - if he can stay relatively healthy.

This whole situation says a lot more about Patterson than Johnson. Patterson just can't seem to get off the line or run sharp routes... Maybe Rastak can comment more on what's holding him back but he looked promising as a rook and just fell flat.

Carolina_Packer
01-06-2015, 07:21 PM

Kevin Dorsey was place on IR at the end of TC in 2013. Looks like they should have done the same thing with Charles Johnson, as it turns out. Then they could have had him for camp in 2014 as well. Instead they got him on the PS and the Browns took a chance on him. Surprisingly, the Browns released him and tried to stash him on their practice squad after TC in 2014. I wonder if Ted had any interest at that point? I would definitely take him over Boykin.

woodbuck27
01-06-2015, 07:35 PM
When you have a roster of young developing players as strong and deep as Green Bay's there are going to be some that get away and become something elsewhere. They tried to hang onto Johnson on the P.S. but he got away. Not the first and definitely won't be the last guy who becomes a serviceable player but isn't ready to break GB's roster quickly enough. Good for him that he's making it in the league but I'd be shocked if he becomes much more than a JAG receiver - if he can stay relatively healthy.

This whole situation says a lot more about Patterson than Johnson. Patterson just can't seem to get off the line or run sharp routes... Maybe Rastak can comment more on what's holding him back but he looked promising as a rook and just fell flat.

I've been trying to figure out the chat on this outstanding prospect.

I'm not getting much of a clue as to any issues and all I feel is that if he straightens out ...watch out. I like what I saw of him before he was drafted. He showed up very well in his rookie season.

It's a strange one.

OK I just did some more research and it looks like it's a matter of working harder and learning to run proper routes and mostly get open. It seems like his attitude in terms of wanting to be a bigger contributor and not being selfish is fine.

smuggler
01-06-2015, 07:44 PM
He's gone now. Minny has him under contract until the end of the 2016 season.

woodbuck27
01-06-2015, 08:27 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000410449/article/mike-zimmer-cordarrelle-patterson-must-get-open

Mike Zimmer: Cordarrelle Patterson must 'get open'

By Dan Hanzus ... Around the NFL Writer

Published: Oct. 13, 2014 at 03:55 p.m. ... Updated: Oct. 13, 2014 at 04:30 p.m.