PDA

View Full Version : A Canadian GIANT has died. Mr. Jean Beliveau to lie in state at Bell Centre, given national funeral.

woodbuck27
12-03-2014, 07:20 PM
http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/jean-beliveau-to-lie-in-state-at-bell-centre-given-national-funeral-1.2130402

One of the Greatest Sports figures in Canadian Sports history has died.

Mr. Jean Beliveau "Le Gros Jean" passed away @ 11:45 PM Tues. Dec. 02, 2014.

Jean Beliveau to lie in state at Bell Centre, given national funeral.

Read more: http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/jean-beliveau-to-lie-in-state-at-bell-centre-given-national-funeral-1.2130402#ixzz3Kt2nrqHj

Mr. Jean Beliveau (1931-2014)

Mr. Jean Beliveau to lie in state at Bell Centre, given national funeral.

Comment woodbuck27:

This is Canada's greatest honour for the life of a Man respected at a level beyond most any person in our history.

Jean Beliveau was the Captain for The Montreal Canadians and led Les Habitants to Ten (10) Stanley Cup Championships in 20 years playing in the NHL. The Montreal Canadians have won the Stanley Cup more times than any other franchise. They have won 24 championships making it the second most successful professional sports team of the traditional four major sports of Canada and the United States, behind only the Boston Celtics.

The tributes to this man's life have been pouring in via the media all day. It's been something I've never seen in it's overwhelming extent in my lifetime. The outstanding tributes couldn't go to a more deserving man.

Yesterday Canada lost a GIANT.

GO HABS GO !

woodbuck27
12-03-2014, 07:27 PM
http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.2130350

Hockey loses one of it's greatest.

I shed a few tears today learning of Mr. Jean Beliveau's passing. Thousands of Canadians shed tears today at this loss. This is a very sad loss. This man was truly unique. Canadians held Mr. Jean Beliveau close to their hearts. He was a great friend to everyone. He was Regal.

The respect this man's life left with us will be demonstrated by Canadian's citizens in these days leading to his funeral. Today flags flew at half mast in Quebec and he will receive a National funeral. The Montreal Canadians will honour his life over a four day period and that starts this Sunday.

Mr. Jean Beliveau was Canada's BEST SELF.

I wish for Mr. Jean Beliveau a future of Blue Sky's and hard clean ice.

I loved Mr. Jean Beliveau. I never have never will see another like him.

Harlan Huckleby
12-03-2014, 09:35 PM
He's a bit before my time. I was a hockey fan as a kid. Bobby Orr and then Bobby Clarke were my heroes.

woodbuck27
12-04-2014, 10:50 PM
He's a bit before my time. I was a hockey fan as a kid. Bobby Orr and then Bobby Clarke were my heroes.

One of his greatest games was Vs Bobby Orr and the very solid 1971 Boston Bruins in the playoff.

The 'Pocket Rocket' Henri Richard (younger brother of Maurice 'Rocket' Richard. Scored with about 4 minutes remaining in the second period to make the score 5-2 Boston Bruins.

Mr. Jean Beliveau the captain of the Montreal Canadians encouraged his team to fight hard and believe in a comeback. The Bruins were already up one game in the seven game series. Sure enough...Beliveau scored the next two goals. The HABS would score three more unanswered goals and win the game 7-5.

This was termed the greatest defeat in Boston Bruins history.

The Montreal Canadians went on to win this series and eventually defeat the Chicago Blackhawks to win the Stanley Cup. One of ten Cups that Mr. Jean Beliveau would win in his career all with the Montreal Canadians.

woodbuck27
12-09-2014, 08:34 AM
http://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/montreal-canadiens/jean-beliveau-public-viewing-begins-at-bell-centre-on-sunday

Montreal pays its respects to Canadiens legend Jean Béliveau

Montreal Gazette

Dave Stubbs, Montreal Gazette

" Montrealers lined up for hours before the doors opened at the Bell Centre on Sunday for their chance to pay their respects to Canadiens legend Jean Béliveau during the first of two days of public viewing."

mraynrand
12-09-2014, 09:20 AM
One of the Greatest Sports figures in Canadian Sports history has died.

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/clubpenguinpookie/images/3/32/Grumpy_Cat_Good.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140306235947

woodbuck27
12-09-2014, 07:17 PM
This exceeds the best response.

Your worth zero.

mraynrand
12-10-2014, 07:12 AM
This exceeds the best response.

Your worth zero.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61qY-QXvlsL.jpg

Harlan Huckleby
12-10-2014, 04:49 PM
Beyond the pale, Rand. You make think it is silly for Woody to care so much about the passing of a hockey player with no teeth, but grave dances are nasty.

woodbuck27
12-10-2014, 05:29 PM
Beyond the pale, Rand. You make think it is silly for Woody to care so much about the passing of a hockey player with no teeth, but grave dances are nasty.

Just a small bit on Jean Beliveau. No mere words can do true justice to the life of this man. Few men have or will ever pass away and cause so many to have tears over and over in terms of the memory of that man and the loss they feel.

To deem Jean Beliveau as truly special fails to give his life proper justice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_B%C3%A9liveau

Mr. Jean Beliveau was much much more than just a Pro hockey player of outstanding credibility and respect.

and.....

Harlan Jean Beliveau had his teeth. Jean Beliveau was a very handsome man. Everyone felt honoured just to ever be in his presence. He was 'the class act' of class acts. :-)

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTrtnjwvX261Z00x9Tq9y-39hFx_GJOQPVTXLCgtmKbywMT6lkypA

Mr. Jean Beliveau was loved by the entire country and lived an impeccable life. He was truly " le Gros Bill ". A man who always had time for anyone no matter their station in life. This man gave and gave and ....then gave again to anyone who asked of him.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRrblO-xMIQ37XfDGITcA9gH_GDMq1IxIukgkVUaSBWs_OCfMTWFg

Today Canadians witnessed a National Funeral fitting for an enormous man. His funeral was attended by the who's who of Canada. The city of Montreal and the Montreal Canadians Family lost an enormous person and Canada has grieved for a week over Jean Beliveau's death. I've never seen anything like it in my lifetime.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRopQ-MnlUYzUmoDalKiaVxMK6JyD-iTcc8wqy-2wYP8bhjoDjK0g

mraynrand
12-10-2014, 06:37 PM

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/55575218.jpg

mraynrand
12-10-2014, 06:40 PM
Just a small bit on Jean Beliveau. No mere words can do true justice to the life of this man. Few men have or will ever pass away and cause so many to have tears over and over in terms of the memory of that man and the loss they feel.

Pretty cool dude. There is a movie coming out about a similar guy, who was beyond his sport (olympic runner) cool. Hard to believe it got made by hollywood, because the guy was a devout Christian and hollywood doesn't like those stories (see the Johnny Cash movie for example).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk1M_HwmFMM

Harlan Huckleby
12-10-2014, 09:01 PM
Harlan Jean Beliveau had his teeth. Jean Beliveau was a very handsome man. I'll bet there isn't a pro hockey player prior to 1980 who has all of their teeth, certainly not the front choppers. Hate to ruin the romance for you, but those are dentures.

For some reason, I just thought of Gump Worsley, who played goalie in pro hockey from 1946-1974. I saw him play for Minnesota North Stars. He was the last goalie to play without a mask, he looked older than Father Time.

As a troubled teen, I stole lumber from a city building site and built a hockey rink in the backyard. My dad was a star hockey player in Duluth, and he approved of the initiative shown by my brother and I. Of course the lawn was destroyed, but that was small price. It was a bozo brand of hockey where some kids played in boots. Marijuana was part of the training table.

woodbuck27
12-10-2014, 09:25 PM
I'll bet there isn't a pro hockey player prior to 1980 who has all of their teeth, certainly not the front choppers. Hate to ruin the romance for you, but those are dentures.

For some reason, I just thought of Gump Worsley, who played goalie in pro hockey from 1946-1974. I saw him play for Minnesota North Stars. He was the last goalie to play without a mask, he looked older than Father Time.

As a troubled teen, I stole lumber from a city building site and built a hockey rink in the backyard. My dad was a star hockey player in Duluth, and he approved of the initiative shown by my brother and I. Of course the lawn was destroyed, but that was small price. It was a bozo brand of hockey where some kids played in boots. Marijuana was part of the training table.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/12/09/hockey-heroes-a-lost-breed

Hockey heroes a lost breed

By: Mike Strobel, Toronto Sun

First posted: Tuesday, December 09, 2014 08:43 PM EST | Updated: Tuesday, December 09, 2014 09:13 PM EST

woodbuck27
12-10-2014, 09:41 PM
“In the Yiddish language, we have a word, it’s called ‘mensch,’ ” said Baum. “A mensch personifies the ultimate person, the best individual. There’s no English equivalent to the word,

Mr. (Jean) Béliveau was a mensch, that’s the best way to describe him.”

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/montreal-canadiens/jean-beliveau-an-icon-to-many-a-mensch-to-all

Jean Béliveau an icon to many, a mensch to all

Christopher Curtis, Montreal Gazette

Published on: December 8, 2014 | Last Updated: December 8, 2014 6:57 PM EST

woodbuck27
12-10-2014, 09:51 PM
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2014/12/10/the-great-jean-beliveau-remembered-by-former-montreal-canadiens-teammates-during-emotional-funeral/

The great Jean Béliveau remembered by former Montreal Canadiens teammates during emotional funeral

Graeme Hamilton, National Post Staff | December 10, 2014 9:12 PM ET

“He was a man who was respected by all Canadians,” former prime minister Jean Chrétien said on his way into the church, recounting a trip he made to the Yukon in Mr. Béliveau’s company. “He was the only person people wanted to see.”

" Yvan Cournoyer, a former Canadiens captain, described Mr. Béliveau as “my friend and my captain and the idol of an entire people.” ..."

mraynrand
12-10-2014, 09:55 PM
As a troubled teen, I stole lumber from a city building site and built a hockey rink in the backyard.

we just shoveled the snow to make the border

Harlan Huckleby
12-10-2014, 10:28 PM

Well, some 12x1 planks make some nice mini-boards that you can bounce a puck off of. I'm sure your rink was serviceable. Not every young person demonstrates great creativity and craftsmanship, nothing for you to be ashamed of. Perhaps you were a late developer.

woodbuck27
12-10-2014, 10:41 PM
Well, some 12x1 planks make some nice mini-boards that you can bounce a puck off of. I'm sure your rink was serviceable. Not every young person demonstrates great creativity and craftsmanship, nothing for you to be ashamed of. Perhaps you were a late developer.

Harlan...12X1 mini-boards....

You couldn't lift the puck?

You played a lot with the girls?

Harlan Huckleby
12-10-2014, 10:45 PM

You played a lot with the girls?

Actually yes, several girls. Those planks had to be carried 6 blocks from .... it was more of a dump than a building site, it was old lumber. It was a herculean effort to carry enough boards in the dark, cold dead of night just to build 12" high boards.

I offer no apologies for that marvelous rink. We had lights, too.

mraynrand
12-10-2014, 10:56 PM

Didn't need to futz with the puck and all that, I was figure skating in my spandex. Toe pick!

mraynrand
12-11-2014, 07:37 AM

It doesn't surprise me at all that you would view theft as a virtue.

woodbuck27
12-11-2014, 07:41 AM
Actually yes, several girls. Those planks had to be carried 6 blocks from .... it was more of a dump than a building site, it was old lumber. It was a herculean effort to carry enough boards in the dark, cold dead of night just to build 12" high boards.

I offer no apologies for that marvelous rink. We had lights, too.

I have a story of an important man in many of my peers life growing up as a teen in Saint John, NB @ Rockwood Court....and hockey and outdoor hockey rinks...later.

woodbuck27
12-11-2014, 02:03 PM
I have a story of an important man in many of my peers life growing up as a teen in Saint John, NB @ Rockwood Court....and hockey and outdoor hockey rinks...later.

When I was a young teen I lived in a community all by itself in Saint John, NB. This palace was ideal for anyone athletic to live. Within Rockwood Court we enjoyed playing fields a playground for the tykes and we had a clubhouse a place for boxing and a grandstand. The community was surrounded on three sides by Rockwood Park the largest public park of any city, town etc. in Canada with loads of trails and lakes.

The Allison Grounds was maintained by a man we all loved or at least respected. his name was Deacon "Deak" Ferris. He was a hard working man who took no BS from anyone. He did all the maintenance and got the ball fields ready or lined for games. He created a skating and ice hockey rinks every winter. When it snowed and if you wanted to play hockey or skate you helped Deak. Often we did so well after dark. He often flooded the rinks after 11 PM. The ice was usually great. Our hockey rink was often as good as any indoor rink. We played games with teams from around the city.

Deak Ferris was like a second father to us. He taught us respect and the true meaning of making a contribution. Often when we are reunited we bring up Deak and what he taught us about living properly.

So for me early in my life hockey is synonymous with the name Deak Ferris. I can still see him just as I hope to always see Jean Beliveau.

Truly great men/women can come from various backgrounds

Patler
12-11-2014, 08:13 PM

Pond hockey. Best thing there is for teaching actual passing.

Patler
12-11-2014, 08:14 PM
I'll bet there isn't a pro hockey player prior to 1980 who has all of their teeth, certainly not the front choppers. Hate to ruin the romance for you, but those are dentures.

Harlan, did you grow up in Duluth?

Patler
12-11-2014, 08:19 PM

We used a tractor and blade to scrape area in a field, banked the snow, then laid plastic on the ground and up the snow bank.

woodbuck27
12-11-2014, 08:50 PM
Pond hockey. Best thing there is for teaching actual passing.

Ohh yes ! I played plenty of that.

Nothing like that rock hard fast fast ice but a good chase if you miss a pass.

woodbuck27
12-11-2014, 08:51 PM
We used a tractor and blade to scrape area in a field, banked the snow, then laid plastic on the ground and up the snow bank.

Cool.

Harlan Huckleby
12-11-2014, 11:22 PM
Harlan, did you grow up in Duluth?

I grew up (to the extent that happened) in Hudson, WI, the home of Deputy Nutz. My parents are both from Duluth, so I spent a lot of time there.

The mid 70's were a period of bitter cold in Twin Cities area, a hockey rink stayed frozen for about 3 or 4 months.

woodbuck27
12-17-2014, 06:14 AM
http://www.tsn.ca/video/otr-bower-remembers-beliveau-1.151063

OTR: Bower remembers (Mr. Jean) Beliveau

The Great Toronto maple Leaf's Johnny Bower reminisces about the late Montreal Canadians Jean Beliveau and what made him so great on and off the ice.

And ......... how to dress up really good for a Miracle Day.

Deputy Nutz
12-17-2014, 07:51 AM
I grew up (to the extent that happened) in Hudson, WI, the home of Deputy Nutz. My parents are both from Duluth, so I spent a lot of time there.

The mid 70's were a period of bitter cold in Twin Cities area, a hockey rink stayed frozen for about 3 or 4 months.

Who was the running back from Hudson that went on to play for the Rams in the NFL?

mraynrand
12-17-2014, 08:30 AM

I was in the third grade. No keys to the plow.

woodbuck27
12-18-2014, 10:07 AM
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/18/beliveaus-family-thanks-community-for-heartwarming-tributes/

Beliveau’s family thanks community for ‘heartwarming tributes’

James O'Brien

Dec 18, 2014, 9:49 AM EST

" They wrote that Beliveau would have expressed “his deepest gratitude for the many heartwarming tributes that were shared over the past few days.” ...."

Comment woodbuck27:

Wow ! That goes right to my guts.

Mr.Jean Beliveau certainly deserved the incredible tribute that death brought to his exemplary life.

He was one in many many millions. A rare human being in terms related to what goodness means.

Harlan Huckleby
12-18-2014, 11:10 AM
dp

Harlan Huckleby
12-18-2014, 11:11 AM
Who was the running back from Hudson that went on to play for the Rams in the NFL?

Get out of here, you bother me kid. I was in attendance at the Hudson House annual Sports Award dinner when LBJ flew-in to speak in honor of Jim Bertelsen. Bertelsen was legendary as a Texas Longhorn, LBJ's tie. Bertelsen was maybe Ryan Grant good in pros. Maybe less.

My attendance at event is a lie. But I came to Hudson a year before the legendary banquet, 1972.

The Raiders had a running back in the 70s that the coach said was as talented as Bertelsen. He was a head case and a very mean guy, Steve Breault. His dad Jack was mayor. As a trick in football practice, he once blocked me in a drill that was supposed to be sort-of a walk through. I almost died, it was like my whole chest cavity was split open. I hadn't yet developed into the physical badass that you know and respect today. It was like getting creamed in a car accident. Breault played for gophers but got kicked off team for being a menace.

Tyrion Lannister
12-18-2014, 09:06 PM
Get out of here, you bother me kid. I was in attendance at the Hudson House annual Sports Award dinner when LBJ flew-in to speak in honor of Jim Bertelsen. Bertelsen was legendary as a Texas Longhorn, LBJ's tie. Bertelsen was maybe Ryan Grant good in pros. Maybe less.

Bertelsen knows LeBron James?

woodbuck27
12-19-2014, 05:02 PM

My attendance at event is a lie. But I came to Hudson a year before the legendary banquet, 1972.

The Raiders had a running back in the 70s that the coach said was as talented as Bertelsen. He was a head case and a very mean guy, Steve Breault. His dad Jack was mayor. As a trick in football practice, he once blocked me in a drill that was supposed to be sort-of a walk through. I almost died, it was like my whole chest cavity was split open. I hadn't yet developed into the physical badass that you know and respect today. It was like getting creamed in a car accident. Breault played for gophers but got kicked off team for being a menace.

Steve Breault (6-0, 192 Sr.)

http://conservancy.umn.edu/bitstream/handle/11299/105568/GopherChatter1978.pdf?sequence=1

" Two more monogram winners return at wingback. They are
Elmer Bailey (6-Y2, 194 Jr.) and Steve Breault (6-0, 192 Sr.) That pair will be pushed, however, by Ray Dilulo (5-11 Y2, 211 So.) for the starting position. Dilulo sat out all of last fall with an injury. "

Harlan Huckleby
12-19-2014, 06:37 PM
Ya, that's the kid. Surprised he was there as a senior, he must have come back.

He was one of those high school kids who was just WAY more physically developed than everybody else. I saw him in a bar in the 80s on a visit back to Hudson. Maybe he still could have kicked my ass, but he looked like a scruffy punk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Wf-mRo7C2I

woodbuck27
12-21-2014, 07:23 AM
Ya, that's the kid. Surprised he was there as a senior, he must have come back.

He was one of those high school kids who was just WAY more physically developed than everybody else. I saw him in a bar in the 80s on a visit back to Hudson. Maybe he still could have kicked my ass, but he looked like a scruffy punk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Wf-mRo7C2I

The new 'Daddy Cool'.

He drives a Lincoln.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQvgyt8fjBE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoGGDKV88Fg