PDA

View Full Version : Pickett

Tony Oday
08-29-2006, 05:15 PM
Oh learned Rats give me your thoughts on Fat boy. Is he playing up to snuff or is he just another overachiever that we signed to a big deal?

Partial
08-29-2006, 05:26 PM
I don't think he's been extraordinary.

gbpackfan
08-29-2006, 05:37 PM
It is hard to tell, little playing time. I will let you know Sept. 10 after he wears down a C/G for an entire game. The run D has actually been okay.

Tony Oday
08-29-2006, 06:07 PM
So are we looking for him to sit down and gobble up a Center and a Guard or try and get penetration like Grady?

MJZiggy
08-29-2006, 07:02 PM
So are we looking for him to sit down and gobble up a Center and a Guard or try and get penetration like Grady?both...

Creepy
08-29-2006, 08:07 PM
His job is to eat blockers and allow LBs to make the plays. The Berngals ahd a few good runs, but overall the run defense was good. GB even had a little pass rush, but the DBs couldn't cover for shit last night. What the helll was Schoittenheimer telling the DBs. Woodson had single coverage on Whoseyourmama, and it looked liek Harris was singled on Johnson. Where the hell were the safeties? Everytime somebody came across the middle the safeties were 20 to 30 yards downfield. They weren't covering anybody but were still 20+ yards downfield. The 1st TD by Palmer you could see Barnett go to cover the back outr of the backfield and the receiver runs into an open middle. Catches the ball and meets the two safeties in the end-zone. I didn't see one dfensive play on the ball or receiver by our safeties. Just what the hell is Schottenheilemr coaching.

Thisis the same coach from 2004 and the DBs on that team got beat repeatedly. Never should have brought him back.

HarveyWallbangers
08-29-2006, 09:27 PM
So are we looking for him to sit down and gobble up a Center and a Guard or try and get penetration like Grady?

What? Grady didn't get much penetration anymore. Maybe 7 years ago. He was a run clogger that took up two interior linemen. He seldom made plays in the backfield, and he's no longer much of a threat rushing the passer. I think you'll see a similar player in Pickett, but one that can play more snaps and more games.

Deputy Nutz
08-29-2006, 09:37 PM
Well he doesn't get pushed back, and that is pretty damn important. I am really impressed with him, but some of me questioning my own eyes, so I am going to have to go back and watch some film on him.

Willard
08-30-2006, 11:28 AM
I thought Pickett had more impact than Aaron Kampman. AK looked almost as uninterested during this game as did Chuck Woodson. WTF? Step it up Aaron!

I hope this was just a case of rookie coaches burning out their team during an especially long week of practice. They looked like they didn't have their legs under them. No spark, no hussle, no intensity. At least that would be correctable, unlike an unsound scheme or lack of talent!

Partial
08-30-2006, 11:30 AM
I thought Pickett had more impact than Aaron Kampman. AK looked almost as uninterested during this game as did Chuck Woodson. WTF? Step it up Aaron!

I hope this was just a case of rookie coaches burning out their team during an especially long week of practice. They looked like they didn't have their legs under them. No spark, no hussle, no intensity. At least that would be correctable, unlike an unsound scheme or lack of talent!

MM was substituted in for Kampman on a lot of early down plays. That really surprised me that they didn't take Kabeer out. He's definitely the bigger liability against the run!

Willard
08-30-2006, 11:43 AM
One play in particular where AK was at fault was the QB scramble by Palmer. Kampman was pushed all the way over to the RDE position! That is why there was a gaping hole on AK's side of the field. WTF?

I also noticed that Montgomery replaced AK rather than KGB. Either they are simply experimenting and trying to find an effective combo (which I applaud in the preseason) or AK really was dead tired for some reason. We all have applauded AK's motor during the last couple of years. I hope this is just a case of him being tired after a week of overwork, rather than him being injured and not telling anybody (which would also fit his blue collar work ethic).

KYPack
08-30-2006, 11:46 AM

AK was up against Willie Anderson. Willie is a 370 All Pro monster who's been playing RT since the 3rd grade (when Willie was only 270). Aaron just doesn't match up against marquee tackles.

He "cared" but just couldn't handle Anderson & got solidly blocked whenever he played.

Tony Oday
08-30-2006, 11:53 AM
All AK had to do was bring a big mac on the field toss it to his left and when big Will went after it BOOM! HEAD SHOT! on Carson! Cmon sanders lets coach these guys up ;)

Willard
08-30-2006, 12:15 PM

AK was up against Willie Anderson. Willie is a 370 All Pro monster who's been playing RT since the 3rd grade (when Willie was only 270). Aaron just doesn't match up against marquee tackles.

He "cared" but just couldn't handle Anderson & got solidly blocked whenever he played.

Point taken. Bengals have some talented tackles. I'll try not to panic. I just don't want to be unpleasantly surprised by players who I consider solid -- like Clifton, Tauscher, AK, Woodson, Harris. I expect growing pains from the newbies but we can't afford regression from those who were low on the worry list.