PDA

View Full Version : A newbie - the truth about the Packers

domey
12-14-2014, 04:02 PM
I am a long time follower and a first time poster. First, I enjoy reading all of your threads, but now I unfortunately have to speak the truth about the Packers. The brain trust believes that with an elite offense, they can win a championship. Unfortunately, we all now that is not the truth. Since the Super Bowl year: year after year the Packers explosive offense has ground to a halt against elite defensives, both in the regular season and the playoffs. Unless and until the Packers have a vastly improved defense, this will always be the case. Although I am happy that that the Packers are a good football team, it has become disheartening to know that they will continue to be a one and done team in the playoffs because of this mentality. Thanks for listening to my rant.

Packman

red
12-14-2014, 04:05 PM
Dont forget about the unspecial teams

This has also been a problem for years but had been for the most part ignored

Harlan Huckleby
12-14-2014, 04:25 PM
[QUOTE=domey;813129] year after year the Packers explosive offense has ground to a halt against elite defensives, both in the regular season and the playoffs. /QUOTE]

I'm stingy with credit for the Buffalo D today. The Packers beat themselves

esoxx
12-14-2014, 04:26 PM
I am a long time follower and a first time poster. First, I enjoy reading all of your threads, but now I unfortunately have to speak the truth about the Packers. The brain trust believes that with an elite offense, they can win a championship. Unfortunately, we all now that is not the truth. Since the Super Bowl year: year after year the Packers explosive offense has ground to a halt against elite defensives, both in the regular season and the playoffs. Unless and until the Packers have a vastly improved defense, this will always be the case. Although I am happy that that the Packers are a good football team, it has become disheartening to know that they will continue to be a one and done team in the playoffs because of this mentality. Thanks for listening to my rant.

Packman

You speak truth.

Harlan Huckleby
12-14-2014, 04:28 PM
First, I enjoy reading all of your threads,

You speak truth.

I smell perjury

woodbuck27
12-14-2014, 04:30 PM
Is it time for the Kool Aid Brigade to come up for air?

The team certainly has certain needs for improvement. Every strong team looks to improve.

The team might be favoured in any shoot out but championship teams are teams that have a balance on both sides of the ball.

See Seattle.

See NE.

I believe we can still win it all this season but it has to spring from the insufficient effort today. It's simply one game that we can come back from.

esoxx
12-14-2014, 04:30 PM
[QUOTE=domey;813129] year after year the Packers explosive offense has ground to a halt against elite defensives, both in the regular season and the playoffs. /QUOTE]

I'm stingy with credit for the Buffalo D today. The Packers beat themselves

That's the worst loser's lament possible. Buffalo rose up and won. And it's not too shocking, given the Pack was only a 3 point favorite at kickoff and employ a ST coach with special needs.

Harlan Huckleby
12-14-2014, 04:33 PM
That's the worst loser's lament possible. Buffalo rose up and won. And it's not too shocking, given the Pack was only a 3 point favorite at kickoff and employ a ST coach with special needs.

A classic loser's lament, yes. I think it is true today. Like George Washington, I can not tell a like unless absolutely necessary.

woodbuck27
12-14-2014, 04:35 PM
I smell perjury

Ohh Boy !

Infamous
12-14-2014, 05:12 PM
Is it time for the Kool Aid Brigade to come up for air?

The Team certainly has certain needs for improvement. Every strong team looks to improve.

The team might be favoured in any shoot out but championship teams are teams that have a balance on both sides of the ball.

See Seattle.

See NE.

I believe we can still win it all this season but it has to spring from the insufficient effort today. It's simply one game that we can come back from.

agreed

Packgator
12-14-2014, 07:00 PM

Packman

What is wrong with having an elite offense? And, how do you know what the "brain trust" believes?

mraynrand
12-14-2014, 07:39 PM
the simple fact is that the Packers are not good enough to beat Seattle. But, because they can't solve PKD™ we may be spared a horrible playoff loss at Seattle in favor of a horrible, season-ending loss to Detroit.

woodbuck27
12-14-2014, 07:46 PM
the simple fact is that the Packers are not good enough to beat Seattle. But, because they can't solve PKD™ we may be spared a horrible playoff loss at Seattle in favor of a horrible, season-ending loss to Detroit.

The gnashing of teeth would be deafening.

Pugger
12-14-2014, 08:11 PM

This PKD was NOT the reason we lost today.

George Cumby
12-14-2014, 08:23 PM

Just puked in my mouth. Thanks.

woodbuck27
12-14-2014, 08:34 PM

If too many Packers looked 'peaked' maybe it's the Mumps?

An epidemic of Mumps has hit the NHL of late.

Otherwise peaked and performance aren't necessarily related.

Packgator
12-14-2014, 08:36 PM
the simple fact is that the Packers are not good enough to beat Seattle.

Sure they are.

esoxx
12-14-2014, 08:39 PM
Sure they are.

Not in Seattle.

mraynrand
12-14-2014, 08:44 PM

sure it was. It affected the way the offense played. They were never comfortable in the passing game. Some of the passes that were off were off because Rodgers was moving in the pocket as he was passing and/or getting bumped or just about to get hit. QBs sense that. All the back shoulder throws were due to corners pressing because they know the pressure will bail them out. And it did - it forced early and inaccurate throws.

ThunderDan
12-14-2014, 08:50 PM
sure it was. It affected the way the offense played. They were never comfortable in the passing game. Some of the passes that were off were off because Rodgers was moving in the pocket as he was passing and/or getting bumped or just about to get hit. QBs sense that. All the back shoulder throws were due to corners pressing because they know the pressure will bail them out. And it did - it forced early and inaccurate throws.

The ST shit the bed today. No matter how bad the O played today we could have won.

pbmax
12-14-2014, 08:53 PM
The ST shit the bed today. No matter how bad the O played today we could have won.

I was beginning to think that Masthay was afflicted with AJ Hawk until he unleashed the bomb on his 3rd attempt at the one punt. He has not hit many bombs outside.

Packgator
12-14-2014, 09:06 PM
Not in Seattle.

Would be anything but easy. But the Packers can win there. Dallas did.

gbgary
12-15-2014, 12:42 AM
today's loss was more about our ineptitude than their great d. drops, poor passes, and penalties, were self inflicted.

Striker
12-15-2014, 01:06 AM
today's loss was more about our ineptitude than their great d. drops, poor passes, and penalties, were self inflicted.

^^^

The biggest area that the Bills dominated today was on special teams. Cost us 10 points (the punt return TD and the blocked FG).

Striker
12-15-2014, 01:07 AM

I think the Packers offense are good (talented) enough, but are they smart enough?

For example, today when the offense was off, McCarthy/Rodgers refused to correct. Anyone remember the Pats/Colts game earlier this season? Brady was uncharacteristically sloppy with the ball...so the Patriots ran the ball over 40 times.

Rodgers is uncharacteristically off/sloppy? Let's throw it 42 times despite Lacy getting over 6 YPC.

woodbuck27
12-15-2014, 06:09 AM
I think the Packers offense are good (talented) enough, but are they smart enough?

For example, today when the offense was off, McCarthy/Rodgers refused to correct. Anyone remember the Pats/Colts game earlier this season? Brady was uncharacteristically sloppy with the ball...so the Patriots ran the ball over 40 times.

Rodgers is uncharacteristically off/sloppy? Let's throw it 42 times despite Lacy getting over 6 YPC.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ27ZtJZTNLdTvsRFpmksEj_9fEG8Q3t udSbVgvoHme8NAq4YwJ

Hi.... See Me !? ..... I'm Mike McCarthy.

Here's what stinking up Buffalo did to me:

http://www.nfl.com/playoffs/playoff-picture

Infamous
12-15-2014, 06:32 AM
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ27ZtJZTNLdTvsRFpmksEj_9fEG8Q3t udSbVgvoHme8NAq4YwJ

Hi.... See Me !? ..... I'm Mike McCarthy.

Here's what stinking up Buffalo did to me:

http://www.nfl.com/playoffs/playoff-picture

LOL

Pugger
12-15-2014, 10:18 AM

Yup.

Pugger
12-15-2014, 10:21 AM

As joemailman said in another thread Lacy has a bad hip that bothered him all week. He wasn't going to get a zillion carries. I'm surprised Starks didn't get more attempts, however.

woodbuck27
12-15-2014, 10:36 AM
LOL

Simply a light hearted joke to get some relief from the pain of that horrible upset.

mraynrand
12-15-2014, 10:58 AM
For example, today when the offense was off, McCarthy/Rodgers refused to correct.

Uhh, not so much. Did you notice the total change in direction with putting Cobb in the backfield? Rodgers didn't drop the TD pass.

And Rodgers didn't 'refuse' to correct. Possibly he wasn't capable, due to the pressure from the front four and the holding, mugging blanket coverage.

mraynrand
12-15-2014, 10:59 AM
LOL

It might be funny if there were any semblance of truth to it

mraynrand
12-15-2014, 11:00 AM

sure, some of it was unforced, but a lot of the errors were forced by superior play of the opponent.

mraynrand
12-15-2014, 11:03 AM
Another adjustment you guys might want to look at, if you have the game saved, was McCarthy's change in tactics following the loss of Beluga, Bulemia, Balaga, Galaga, errr Bulaga (sorry, had a Diehl or no Diehl episode there) - anyway, after Tretter came in, Stubby changed up his calls to either run away from the right tackle or exploit the anticipated quick pressure from Mario. The execution was so-so.

pbmax
12-15-2014, 12:22 PM
Another adjustment you guys might want to look at, if you have the game saved, was McCarthy's change in tactics following the loss of Beluga, Bulemia, Balaga, Galaga, errr Bulaga (sorry, had a Diehl or no Diehl episode there) - anyway, after Tretter came in, Stubby changed up his calls to either run away from the right tackle or exploit the anticipated quick pressure from Mario. The execution was so-so.

He also chipped Video Game Mario except on the last Packer O play.