PDA

View Full Version : Fuzzy

KYPack
12-14-2014, 06:29 PM
Fred "Fuzzy" Thurston died today at age '80.

A mainstay at Left guard, Fuzz was one of the heart and soul guys for the Lombardi Packers.

Drink one for Fuzzy, I'm gonna have a shot of Crown right now for my boy.

(Hope he missed the ball game)

mraynrand
12-14-2014, 06:43 PM
Today's game probably finished him off

pbmax
12-14-2014, 07:31 PM
Today's game probably finished him off

I was thinking the same thing during the Game Day thread when the news broke. But he must have been heartened by Lang and Sitton.

TravisWilliams23
12-14-2014, 07:48 PM
R.I.P. Fuzzy. Find any picture of the Lombardi Packers sweep and you'll see 63 & 64 leading the way. Always loved to hear the old Packers tell the story of the team flying back from a conference winning game against Baltimore and Fuzzy leading the guys singing "He's got the whole world in His hands" and changing it up at the end to "We've got the greatest coach-in the world" and Vince just beaming with pride on the charter flight back to Green Bay.
Read his book and no doubt he was a great all around athlete growing up and a proud Green Bay Packer.

Rastak
12-14-2014, 07:48 PM
That sucks, really sorry to hear that. I don't remember the dude since I was 5 when he retired and was a die hard vikings fan since birth. I do remember people talking about him and always in a positive light.

Pugger
12-14-2014, 08:07 PM
I was thinking the same thing during the Game Day thread when the news broke. But he must have been heartened by Lang and Sitton.

Until Bulaga went down our O line played great. Rodgers had plenty of time back there 97% of the time and Lacy was getting good yardage. This is actually good news for us! If our O line could keep that bunch at bay they may be able to do the same thing again if we face Seattle and I can't see Rodgers playing that poorly again for a long time.

RIP Fuzzy. He was a sweet man.

KYPack
12-14-2014, 10:14 PM
I went to a banquet one time and Donny Anderson spoke. He gave a pretty run of the mill little speech that was kind of boring. After his talk, Danny opened up for questions. A guy got up and asked him if it was true that the vets on the Lombardi Packers were hard on him because he got big money for being a bonus baby. Anderson relaxed, smiled and said "Oh yeah, they were brutal to him and Grabowski". In fact, in one game he broke a long punt return for a TD and hardly anyone congratulated him. The thing that made him one of the boys was a product of Fuzzy Thurston.

In a key game, Anderson got in and the Pack was driving for the winning score. Then, to Anderson's horror, he fumbled turning the ball over. He went back to the bench, dreading the plane ride home. if they didn't congratulate him for a TD, what would they do if he cost the vets a win?

Donny sat on the bench with his head in his hands. miserable. Then he felt a hand on his shoulder. It was Fuzzy. "Calm down kid," he said. "You know what's gonna happen? The defense will hold 'em, they'll punt it to us and Bart will drive us back down. & we'll kick a field goal and win the game. Then we'll get on the plane and drink beer all the way back home".

And that's just what happened. Then on the plane ride, Fuzzy told the story of how miserable the rookie was on the sidelines and made a joke of the whole thing. That started the process of Donny being one of the boys.

Anderson spoke to fuzzy about the incident, Fred told him he just felt they had picked on Donny long enough.

That was Fuzzy Thurston. He couldn't stand to see people miserable and he always liked to have a good time.

He was a good dude and 100% Packer.

King Friday
12-14-2014, 10:22 PM
RIP Fuzzy. The Packers lost more than just a game today.

esoxx
12-14-2014, 10:29 PM
Thanks for that story KY.

This Altoona, WI product was a Packer through and through.
For those that haven't read his autobiography, i'd recommend it.

RIP Fuzzy

woodbuck27
12-15-2014, 07:35 AM
I went to a banquet one time and Donny Anderson spoke. He gave a pretty run of the mill little speech that was kind of boring. After his talk, Danny opened up for questions. A guy got up and asked him if it was true that the vets on the Lombardi Packers were hard on him because he got big money for being a bonus baby. Anderson relaxed, smiled and said "Oh yeah, they were brutal to him and Grabowski". In fact, in one game he broke a long punt return for a TD and hardly anyone congratulated him. The thing that made him one of the boys was a product of Fuzzy Thurston.

In a key game, Anderson got in and the Pack was driving for the winning score. Then, to Anderson's horror, he fumbled turning the ball over. He went back to the bench, dreading the plane ride home. if they didn't congratulate him for a TD, what would they do if he cost the vets a win?

Donny sat on the bench with his head in his hands. miserable. Then he felt a hand on his shoulder. It was Fuzzy. "Calm down kid," he said. "You know what's gonna happen? The defense will hold 'em, they'll punt it to us and Bart will drive us back down. & we'll kick a field goal and win the game. Then we'll get on the plane and drink beer all the way back home".

And that's just what happened. Then on the plane ride, Fuzzy told the story of how miserable the rookie was on the sidelines and made a joke of the whole thing. That started the process of Donny being one of the boys.

Anderson spoke to fuzzy about the incident, Fred told him he just felt they had picked on Donny long enough.

That was Fuzzy Thurston. He couldn't stand to see people miserable and he always liked to have a good time.

He was a good dude and 100% Packer.

Thanks KY.

A nice story about a nice man.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ7jFA0NF_WE6wLeP402E8Y_qYKoXBDZ NEvtt6HgsTESNkBZLTgJg

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCNBtjXObsMvLSdMr6sJo4l3q1Y__mD uF7pmW5PSwDz87nzH6i

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTOp8X_s3-lRTopgKkgqrDze2kPngVTvv_eoJejGNqhfiW_UUXOeg

It was sad to learn yesterday that Frederick Charles "Fuzzy" Thurston (December 29, 1933 – December 14, 2014) passed away.

That's two of my favourites gone from this life in about two weeks with the recent passing of Montreal Canadian GREAT Mr. Jean Beliveau who was honoured with ' a National Funeral ' last week.

RIP "Fuzzy". A great Green Bay Packer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Thurston

Career highlights and awards:

6× NFL Champion (1958, 1961, 1962, 1965–1967)

AP 1st Team All-Pro (1961)

AP 2nd Team All-Pro (1962)

Packers Hall of Fame

All-American (1954), (1955)

GO PACK GO !

George Cumby
12-15-2014, 08:17 AM
"No one wants to be Fuzzy anymore".

RiP, Fuzzy.

woodbuck27
12-15-2014, 10:14 AM
http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Fuzzy-Thurston-legendary-Packers-guard-dead-at-80/f0054181-d675-459e-9aac-29e3b3651548

Fuzzy Thurston, legendary Packers guard, dead at 80

Posted 20 hours ago

Cliff Christl ... Packers team historian

Long Live the Green Bay Packers !

woodbuck27
12-15-2014, 10:26 AM
I must include this amazing Pic of Mr. Frederick Charles "Fuzzy" Thurston.

http://prod.images.packers.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/PACKERS/assets/images/imported/GB/photos/clubimages/2014/12-December/temp141206-thurston-6--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?width=960&height=720

Mudder

Carolina_Packer
12-15-2014, 10:39 AM
I must include this amazing Pic of Mr. Frederick Charles "Fuzzy" Thurston.

http://prod.images.packers.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/PACKERS/assets/images/imported/GB/photos/clubimages/2014/12-December/temp141206-thurston-6--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?width=960&height=720

Mudder

Man, he looks like a badass in that picture!

KY, thanks for sharing that memory. I hope the Packers immediately add a helmet or uni-patch for the rest of the year in honor of one of the great ones from the Lombardi Packers.

George Cumby
12-15-2014, 10:42 AM
^ Repped.

MadtownPacker
12-15-2014, 02:03 PM
RIP - All the great post the old timers here have made about the man speak volumes towards what a great guy he was.

Fritz
12-15-2014, 02:13 PM
Great post, great story, KY.

He was Packer People, through and through.

KYPack
12-16-2014, 12:18 PM
Hey, one last Fuzzy story, when will I get to tell 'em again with freddy gone?

Fuzz was the uncrowned and crowned drinking champion of the NFL when he played.

Nobody could outdrink Fuzzy altho many tried.

Hornung told of a drinking contest btw Fuzz and Fran O'Brien, a OT for the Skin who also owned a big bar in Washington.

Fuzzy Max and Paul got to the bar ahead of the Redskins. Fuzzy immediately went to the bar and ordered a beer. Max and paul tried to get Fuzz to pace himself. "Don't worry boys, I need a few beers to get warmed up", said Thurston.

The Skins arrived and O'Brien and Fuzzy started drinking. They started off with Martini's and moved to different drinks. After and hour or so, O'Brien started to slow down and Fuzzy was yelling at him to finish. At and hour and a half, Fran started to wobble. Slightly before the two hour mark, O'Brien was down and out.

The Packers were cheering, but one of 'em yelled that Fuzz had to drink one more drink than O'Brien. Fuzzy chugged his drink and jumped up on the bar doing push-ups!

The Redskins straggled out, but Fuzzy stayed at the bar with the boys and drank for two MORE hours.

He was a beauty

Fritz
12-16-2014, 12:34 PM
Wow. Training back in them days was different.

woodbuck27
12-16-2014, 12:34 PM

Hornung told of a drinking contest btw Fuzz and Fran O'Brien, a OT for the Skin who also owned a big bar in Washington.

Fuzzy Max and Paul got to the bar ahead of the Redskins. Fuzzy immediately went to the bar and ordered a beer. Max and paul tried to get Fuzz to pace himself. "Don't worry boys, I need a few beers to get warmed up", said Thurston.

The Skins arrived and O'Brien and Fuzzy started drinking. They started off with Martini's and moved to different drinks. After and hour or so, O'Brien started to slow down and Fuzzy was yelling at him to finish. At and hour and a half, Fran started to wobble. Slightly before the two hour mark, O'Brien was down and out.

The Packers were cheering, but one of 'em yelled that Fuzz had to drink one more drink than O'Brien. Fuzzy chugged his drink and jumped up on the bar doing push-ups!

The Redskins straggled out, but Fuzzy stayed at the bar with the boys and drank for two MORE hours.

He was a beauty

Another great story :bow:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0GC2rYPwbs5zKpbi0TWYnL7Bjgv0ZQ dBM-4Wn7141DFIZ6fR4

KY all this time I've posted and competed in the Pro Pickem' with you. I thought you were an older fella like myself.

You hung out with Tank !!? You ate pizza with him that his Mom made. WOW !?? Your actually a young trot?

Fool me once......

Seriously KY:huh:....I imagined somehow that you would be 25-30 years older than the member that once posted as Tank.

KYPack
12-16-2014, 08:04 PM
Another great story :bow:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0GC2rYPwbs5zKpbi0TWYnL7Bjgv0ZQ dBM-4Wn7141DFIZ6fR4

KY all this time I've posted and competed in the Pro Pickem' with you. I thought you were an older fella like myself.

You hung out with Tank !!? You ate pizza with him that his Mom made. WOW !?? Your actually a young trot?

Fool me once......

Seriously KY:huh:....I imagined somehow that you would be 25-30 years older than the member that once posted as Tank.

I hung out with Darren Charles high school principal.

Well before he had that job.

His dad was German and his mom full blooded Italian.

First real pizza I ever had and still some of the best I've ever eaten.

Definitely the best Chicken Caccitore ever.

Tank is 30 years younger than me

And, a lying little weasel.

woodbuck27
12-16-2014, 08:31 PM
I hung out with Darren Charles high school principal.

Well before he had that job.

His dad was German and his mom full blooded Italian.

First real pizza I ever had and still some of the best I've ever eaten.

Definitely the best Chicken Caccitore ever.

Tank is 30 years younger than me

And, a lying little weasel.

OK .... I'm glad I've got that straight from the horses mouth. I was here. :???:

A Pro Pickem' Special For The Playoffs:

I want more Packerrats playing a Pro Pickem for the playoffs.

KY...Would you start up another Pro Pickem at Yahoo for the playoffs?

jimx29 or wpony??

Maybe one of you fellas will set that up?

KYPack
12-16-2014, 08:38 PM
OK .... I'm glad I've got that straight from the horses mouth. I was here. :???:

KY...Would you start up another Pro Pickem at Yahoo for the playoffs?

I'll give it a try, Woodrow.

I had to drop out of the regular season.

There is no internet at our place in Western KY.

I'll try to set it up and make an announcement on the forum.

How many guys want to play?

woodbuck27
12-16-2014, 08:47 PM
I'll give it a try, Woodrow.

I had to drop out of the regular season.

I'll try to set it up and make an announcement on the forum.

How many guys want to play?

KY... Thank You very much. I'd hope for approx. 20 players to get involved in a new Pro Pickem.

The regular Pro Pickem will continue to retain Yahoo standing. As you know KY ...we declare our Champ at the conclusion of Week 17.

I was scratchin' my head over you not being involved after some weeks this year. I wondered what happened to you.

I have the same issue at my country home in New Brunswick from July to Mid Oct. To get my picks in I need to take a lap top and find some joint that has WIFI. The good thing there is I can't second guess my gut feelings. :???:

MAYBE YOU MIGHT USE THAT OPTION in the future !?

It's been an exciting year. The race for the Championship is very tight this season with 'only' 4 CP's separating the TOP FOUR.

Thanks again !

mmmdk
12-16-2014, 09:28 PM
I was fortunate to meet Fuzzy in 2006 on game day versus the Rams and I'm glad I did shake his hand [plus $20 bucks for an autograph]. 80 great years, Fuzzy & I tip my hat to ya!

woodbuck27
12-17-2014, 07:39 AM
http://www.superiortelegram.com/sports-packers/3635777-altoonas-fuzzy-thurston-excelled-packer-friend

Altoona’s Fuzzy Thurston excelled as Packer, friend

Posted on Dec 16, 2014 at 11:54 a.m.

Comment woodbuck27:

Win this seasons Super Bowl for the memory of Fuzzy !

GO PACKERS !

mraynrand
12-17-2014, 08:36 AM

you got running water out there?

http://www.photogalaxy.com/pic/cgsalyers-33/old_kentucky_shack.jpg

Carolina_Packer
12-17-2014, 10:19 AM
They just got phone service.

http://www.3dsignforum.com/media/kunena/attachments/62/tin-can-telephone.jpg

mraynrand
12-17-2014, 10:42 AM
They just got phone service.

http://www.3dsignforum.com/media/kunena/attachments/62/tin-can-telephone.jpg

no long distance I see.

KYPack
12-17-2014, 11:12 AM
you got running water out there?

http://www.photogalaxy.com/pic/cgsalyers-33/old_kentucky_shack.jpg

No wifi, no land line, no cable, 2 analog TV stations.

The news doesn't even have NFL scores.

It's the land that time forgot out there.

woodbuck27
12-17-2014, 01:21 PM
No wifi, no land line, no cable, 2 analog TV stations.

The news doesn't even have NFL scores.

It's the land that time forgot out there.

Maybe?.....call a friend anywhere...and online to set your picks and CP's?

Maybe you don't have a cellular phone?

I wasn't aware that such places still exist in North America. It must be nice.

God's Country.

My Country home in New Brunswick has landline service. We also have a cellular.

We're not online but a WIFI Service is a 20 minutes drive away.

Guiness
12-17-2014, 04:50 PM
Someone remind me - is Fuzzy the one we had a thread about a little while ago about some 'handlers' taking him around to autograph signing sessions to make some money? Just wondering after mmmdk's post saying he paid $20 for a signature.

KYPack
12-17-2014, 04:54 PM
Someone remind me - is Fuzzy the one we had a thread about a little while ago about some 'handlers' taking him around to autograph signing sessions to make some money? Just wondering after mmmdk's post saying he paid $20 for a signature.

Sheez, I hope not.

Many of the old Packers don't have shit.

The pension from those days is ridiculous.

Herb Adderly was getting $50 a month.

woodbuck27
12-17-2014, 05:01 PM
Sheez, I hope not.

Many of the old Packers don't have shit.

The pension from those days is ridiculous.

Herb Adderly was getting $50 a month.

A finger down my throat.....reaction.

That's such BULL SHIT to treat any man that way.

The NFL should be ashamed of itself.

mmmdk
12-17-2014, 06:12 PM
Fuzzy was nice, he hardly had a voice though when I met him. I also met Aaron Taylor shortly after and I can't remember if I had to pay for his autograph also. As I recall; I found it a bit awkward paying for a mere autograph. I thought it would be more sincere but after a short chat with Fuzzy (later with Aaron Taylor) I was directed towards a guy wanting $20 bucks. I've got 14-15 other autographs from other Packer players and a few coaches - never paid for those. My favorite meets were with William Henderson (also 2006) and Jan Stenerud in 2008.

Aaron Taylor was clearly damaged from playing football. I've read recently he's doing great in San Diego. In 2006, I believe he told me he had a Swedish girlfriend (not sure though) and he definitely had knowledge of Scandinavia.

Freak Out
12-17-2014, 06:39 PM
I've been to his bar a couple times.....really nice guy. I bought some Bobble Heads from him. I have a picture of Ziggy getting felt up by him.

Patler
12-17-2014, 07:54 PM
Fuzzy was nice, he hardly had a voice though when I met him. I also met Aaron Taylor shortly after and I can't remember if I had to pay for his autograph also. As I recall; I found it a bit awkward paying for a mere autograph. I thought it would be more sincere but after a short chat with Fuzzy (later with Aaron Taylor) I was directed towards a guy wanting $20 bucks. I've got 14-15 other autographs from other Packer players and a few coaches - never paid for those.

Unfortunately, Thurston's post-player days were marred by financial woes, much stemming from his failed "Left Guard" restaurant chain. A judgment against him from the early '80s was never paid, and with interest increased 10 fold until a few years ago when the IRS basically took everything he had, including his NFL Championship and Super Bowl rings and other memorabilia, which they then auctioned off.

As for his voice, he lost his larynx to cancer many, many years ago (I can't help but think of those photos of him smoking cigars).

pbmax
12-17-2014, 10:14 PM
Fuzzy was signing memorabilia until just a few weeks ago, that story was about him. I just hope it was on the up and up enough that Fuzzy and his family benefitted more than the dealers.

There is a cottage industry (actually far more than one industry) sprung up around the idea of helping the elderly but in actuality taking them to the cleaners. Have first hand knowledge of situations with elderly relatives where "do gooders" had all but moved in and laid a claim to the homestead, stripping out its contents as they went along. Its an odd thing to see people dressed in your grandfather's clothes.

They should all be sent to Thunder Dome and Master Blaster.

George Cumby
12-17-2014, 10:50 PM
Unfortunately, Thurston's post-player days were marred by financial woes, much stemming from his failed "Left Guard" restaurant chain. A judgment against him from the early '80s was never paid, and with interest increased 10 fold until a few years ago when the IRS basically took everything he had, including his NFL Championship and Super Bowl rings and other memorabilia, which they then auctioned off.

As for his voice, he lost his larynx to cancer many, many years ago (I can't help but think of those photos of him smoking cigars).

Ouch.

Guiness
12-18-2014, 04:35 PM
There is a cottage industry (actually far more than one industry) sprung up around the idea of helping the elderly but in actuality taking them to the cleaners.

Does inviting your father-in-law out to dinner with the family, ordering a strip loin, then ducking to the bathroom as the desert course is finishing up and the bill is coming count? I thought that was just teaching him to stay alert and on his toes! :whaa:

gbgary
12-18-2014, 06:19 PM
one of the all-time favorite Packers. met him once at his little bar about 20 years ago. rip

mmmdk
12-18-2014, 09:29 PM

May Fuzzy truly rest in peace. No IRS either. Fuzzy lives on in Packers legend.

pbmax
12-18-2014, 10:49 PM
Does inviting your father-in-law out to dinner with the family, ordering a strip loin, then ducking to the bathroom as the desert course is finishing up and the bill is coming count? I thought that was just teaching him to stay alert and on his toes! :whaa:

Only if you then take the money he leaves on the table, tell him it wasn't enough to cover the bill and that he has to wash dishes for the evening.

vince
12-20-2014, 12:26 AM

He was a beauty
Great story KY thanks for that.

I'm pretty sure it's a biologic impossibility to dislike any human with the nickname Fuzzy - especially one who can party like that!

His pulling mate, Jerry Kramer, gave the final eulogy at the memorial today at the Lambeau Field Atrium where hundreds of well-wishers honored his life.

“It’s impossible to explain the relationship you had with a guy for 55 years,” Kramer said, fighting back tears.

“Native son, loved by everyone in Wisconsin. He had a way to light up your life. We’re going to miss him,” Kramer said, and then finished with this: “Fuz had a helluva ride, a wonderful journey.”

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/001/875/388/851de3c489ff2da4fc26bf8f0ffe79dd_original.jpg?1418 669595

vince
12-20-2014, 01:17 AM
http://media.syracuse.com/sports/photo/super-bowl-ring-auctionedjpg-b4022355b829509e.jpg
http://prod.images.packers.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/PACKERS/assets/images/imported/GB/photos/clubimages/2014/12-December/temp141219-thurston-memorial-9--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?width=960&height=720
http://prod.images.packers.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/PACKERS/assets/images/imported/GB/photos/clubimages/2014/12-December/temp141219-thurston-memorial-15--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?width=960&height=720
http://prod.images.packers.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/PACKERS/assets/images/imported/GB/photos/clubimages/2014/12-December/temp141219-thurston-memorial-24--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?width=960&height=720
http://prod.images.packers.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/PACKERS/assets/images/imported/GB/photos/clubimages/2014/12-December/temp141219-thurston-memorial-2--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?width=960&height=720
http://prod.images.packers.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/PACKERS/assets/images/imported/GB/photos/clubimages/2014/12-December/temp141219-thurston-memorial-3--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?width=960&height=720
http://prod.images.packers.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/PACKERS/assets/images/imported/GB/photos/clubimages/2014/12-December/temp141219-thurston-memorial-12--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?width=960&height=720
http://prod.images.packers.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/PACKERS/assets/images/imported/GB/photos/clubimages/2014/12-December/temp141219-thurston-memorial-4--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?width=960&height=720
http://prod.images.packers.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/PACKERS/assets/images/imported/GB/photos/clubimages/2014/12-December/temp141219-thurston-memorial-7--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?width=960&height=720

vince
12-20-2014, 01:46 AM
Jerry Kramer's Memorial Speech (http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/videos/sports/nfl/packers/2014/12/19/20671423/) - :bow::sad::-):cry::tup::alc::bclap::glug: