PDA

View Full Version : Things I don't understand following the Buffalo game

Patler
12-15-2014, 11:18 AM
Things I just don't understand after Sunday's game:

I don't understand why GB had only 22 rushing plays (15 for Lacy, 4 for Starks, 3 for Cobb) and 46 passing plays (42 pass attempts, 1 sack, 3 Rodgers "rushes" that are really passing plays) in a close game, when runners were averaging 6 yards/carry and the running game worked all game long (evidenced by 131 yards gained on just 22 plays while the longest was only 22 yards) and the passing game misfired all game long due to drops, uncharacteristic inaccuracy, poor timing and miscommunication. Seems like a game made for more running.

I don't understand how professional announcers at the top of the announcing ladder can go into an NFL broadcast not knowing the proper pronunciations of so many players' names. It happens accidentally once in a while, but yesterday it was so common as to be evidence of extremely poor preparation. Repeat the difficult names out loud correctly 10 times, and you have them. I guess that was too much work for these guys.

I don't understand why the NFL insists on having so many special circumstance rules. Most come about due to an unusual play that had results the league didn't like for one reason or another, but the impact of such rules is usually bad in other, often more common circumstances. The special rule for fumbles in the last two minutes eliminates the intentional fumble to gain yards, but on Rodgers fumble yesterday what would be unjust if Lacy recovered and advanced at least out of the endzone? I especially dislike plays that are OK for 28 minutes, but not OK in the last two minutes.

I don't understand why the "dropsies" seems to often hit the Packers collectively and not individually. Nelson, Cobb, Rodgers, Quarless, Starks, Adams all failed to bring in throws. You can survive a game with a player or two with butterfingers, but not when the entire team can't catch.

I don't understand why the Packers can't seem to fix an obvious blocking problem in their kicking/punting game. They have given up six blocks on FGs, extra points and punts this year.

I don't understand why GB continues to use Harris to return kicks. There are 72 players this year who average more than Harris' 20.7 yards/return. Sure, some of the 72 have only one or two returns, but on the other hand, no one with 20 or more returns is worse than Harris. Harris sometimes doesn't make the 20 yard line even when the kick isn't in the end zone. Put Hyde back there, Janis, Goodsen, anyone.

I don't understand how Slocum keeps his job year after year

mraynrand
12-15-2014, 11:21 AM
I don't understand how professional announcers at the top of the announcing ladder....

It's all explained in here:
http://cd.pbsstatic.com/l/17/4817/9780688044817.jpg

'Professional announcing' for football games is usually a bad Diehl.

mraynrand
12-15-2014, 11:24 AM
Seems like a game made for more running.

Requires iron will discipline from a head coach. Stubby is just too in love with the 'big play' passing offense to give it up. But if the Packers had stuck to a grind it out running game, they probably win (exception being made for Lacy's bad shoulder).

Fritz
12-15-2014, 12:01 PM
I agree with that, rand. I do think MM is like a moth to flame with the idea of the big play.

But in general, I agree with all those questions Patler put out there. It was one weird game.

How does Slocum keep his job, again?

pbmax
12-15-2014, 12:12 PM
Requires iron will discipline from a head coach. Stubby is just too in love with the 'big play' passing offense to give it up. But if the Packers had stuck to a grind it out running game, they probably win (exception being made for Lacy's bad shoulder).

Except for five plays, everything was short passing wise. They were fighting a headwind on that. I WISH they had gone deep more in the 2nd and 4th with the wind.

I kinda like the MyKay Hyde player.

The play by play guy was brutal. It was like listening in on a first date. I would have preferred the Boon Go The Dynamite kid.

pbmax
12-15-2014, 12:14 PM
I don't understand why the NFL insists on having so many special circumstance rules. Most come about due to an unusual play that had results the league didn't like for one reason or another, but the impact of such rules is usually bad in other, often more common circumstances. The special rule for fumbles in the last two minutes eliminates the intentional fumble to gain yards, but on Rodgers fumble yesterday what would be unjust if Lacy recovered and advanced at least out of the endzone? I especially dislike plays that are OK for 28 minutes, but not OK in the last two minutes.

That was the result of the Rozelle - Al Davis feud. The League hated the Raiders getting over on anyone.

Guiness
12-15-2014, 12:40 PM

I once heard it explained this way: 10% of the rule book covers most of the teams, in most of the situations. All the other pages can be classified as 'Raider Rules' that were brought in, one at a time, to cover situations created and exploited by Al Davis.

Guiness
12-15-2014, 12:40 PM
That was the result of the Rozelle - Al Davis feud. The League hated the Raiders getting over on anyone.

lol, that's pretty much what I just said!

woodbuck27
12-15-2014, 12:47 PM

I don't understand why GB had only 22 rushing plays (15 for Lacy, 4 for Starks, 3 for Cobb) and 46 passing plays (42 pass attempts, 1 sack, 3 Rodgers "rushes" that are really passing plays) in a close game, when runners were averaging 6 yards/carry and the running game worked all game long (evidenced by 131 yards gained on just 22 plays while the longest was only 22 yards) and the passing game misfired all game long due to drops, uncharacteristic inaccuracy, poor timing and miscommunication. Seems like a game made for more running.

I don't understand how professional announcers at the top of the announcing ladder can go into an NFL broadcast not knowing the proper pronunciations of so many players' names. It happens accidentally once in a while, but yesterday it was so common as to be evidence of extremely poor preparation. Repeat the difficult names out loud correctly 10 times, and you have them. I guess that was too much work for these guys.

I don't understand why the "dropsies" seems to often hit the Packers collectively and not individually. Nelson, Cobb, Rodgers, Quarless, Starks, Adams all failed to bring in throws. You can survive a game with a player or two with butterfingers, but not when the entire team can't catch.

I don't understand why the Packers can't seem to fix an obvious blocking problem in their kicking/punting game. They have given up six blocks on FGs, extra points and punts this year.

I don't understand why GB continues to use Harris to return kicks. There are 72 players this year who average more than Harris' 20.7 yards/return. Sure, some of the 72 have only one or two returns, but on the other hand, no one with 20 or more returns is worse than Harris. Harris sometimes doesn't make the 20 yard line even when the kick isn't in the end zone. Put Hyde back there, Janis, Goodsen, anyone.

You nailed it Patler!

One of the finest posts I've read on this forum in all my years here.

Congratulations Patler.

Repped.

mraynrand
12-15-2014, 12:52 PM
Except for five plays, everything was short passing wise. They were fighting a headwind on that. I WISH they had gone deep more in the 2nd and 4th with the wind.

Many times the big play comes from a short catch. I was thinking more run versus pass ratio than bomb versus intermediate/short.

Freak Out
12-15-2014, 12:54 PM

All valid questions Patler. Was M3 asked these questions after the game? The 22 rushing plays is just mind boggling...the recipe was there and M3/Arod burned it.

The announcers just flat out sucked.....was it Diehl? Just flat out horrible.

So disappointing with the offense and special teams. Slocum should be gone TODAY! The defense played pretty damn well on the other hand......you forgot the refs though. It seemed like they let the Bill DBs do what ever they wanted....

pbmax
12-15-2014, 12:54 PM
Many times the big play comes from a short catch. I was thinking more run versus pass ratio than bomb versus intermediate/short.

Agree on the run. M3 just doesn't like keeping Lacy off the field.Odd considering how many formations and TEs he runs out there. Its not exactly against his philosophy for a backup to get significant snaps.

George Cumby
12-15-2014, 01:01 PM
Big boned Mike continues to confound, confuse and consternate with his curious calls.

He has the horses to run the race he professes to want to run but then doesn't give them the free rein to do so.

Is he stupid? Inflexible? Easily overwhelmed? Dogmatic?

He's a solid coach, but shit like yesterday totally gasts my flabber.

woodbuck27
12-15-2014, 01:05 PM
All valid questions Patler. Was M3 asked these questions after the game? The 22 rushing plays is just mind boggling...the recipe was there and M3/Arod burned it.

The announcers just flat out sucked.....was it Diehl? Just flat out horrible.

So disappointing with the offense and special teams. Slocum should be gone TODAY! The defense played pretty damn well on the other hand......you forgot the refs though. It seemed like they let the Bill DBs do what ever they wanted....

The FOX Network covered that game in my area and I agree it was terrible.

The Commentators were Justin Kutcher and David Diehl.

They seem to have a problem just formatting the Score Board to fit inside of the screen.

You want to see a camera angle on an important call and they get the worst angles for a determination.

Harlan Huckleby
12-15-2014, 01:28 PM

For one thing, he's practically a dead ringer for Brett Favre, that's got to have some sentimental value. He certainly could be a brother.

http://packersinsider.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/slocum-shawn-268x300.jpg

As far as the announcers mispronouncing names, I can live with it. Judging by talk radio, I am in minority. I was irritated by the constant Buffalo boosterism. Actually, they just sucked in every imaginable way.

Patler
12-15-2014, 01:42 PM
The play by play guy was brutal. It was like listening in on a first date. I would have preferred the Boon Go The Dynamite kid.

The funniest one was the play by play guy on the kickoff after the Bills tied it up 10-10:

"This is going to go...OUT of BOUNDS INSIDE THE FOUR.......(long pause as the stadium announcer announces that the ball will be placed at the 40)...."Oh, that's a big, costly mistake......."

Zool
12-15-2014, 01:44 PM
The funniest one was the play by play guy on the kickoff after the Bills tied it up 10-10:

"This is going to go...OUT of BOUNDS INSIDE THE FOUR.......(long pause the stadium announcer announces that the ball will be placed at the 40)...."Oh, that's a big, costly mistake......."

Also like during the couple minutes before kick off, they were talking about getting Fred Jackson back saying "that's really going to help".

KYPack
12-15-2014, 01:47 PM
The FOX Network covered that game in my area and I agree it was terrible.

The Commentators were Justin Kutcher and David Diehl.

They seem to have a problem just formatting the Score Board to fit inside of the screen.

You want to see a camera angle on an important call and they get the worst angles for a determination.

I've always liked FOX's production value. Much better video and audio than the CBS product.

But those two boobs were the worst announcing team I've run up in years.

FOX has gone big league on graphics and stuff, but these guys were absolutely the pits.

Why the Buffalo orientation, FOX is the network of the NFC?

Read this review of the two stooges from a Ravens paper in October...

"I thought I had punched the wrong buttons and landed on a regional cablecast of a college football game — a Division III college football game between, say, Muhlenberg and Juniata. "

God they sucked, turned out perfect capper for a shit game.

woodbuck27
12-15-2014, 01:48 PM
Also like during the couple minutes before kick off, they were talking about getting Fred Jackson back saying "that's really going to help".

FOX Hate on the Green Bay Packers.

Dear Ohh dear.

woodbuck27
12-15-2014, 01:53 PM
WOW! 31 members here posting @ 1:52 PM CST on a Monday.

Impressive.

Fritz
12-15-2014, 02:03 PM
Oh - and I don't understand how MM could have had an entire package built in for DuJuan Harris last year, or the year before, and now not even have one play for the guy.

Oh, and I don't understand the DeJuan Harris love, either. IF he was that good, wouldn't he be at least a little better on kickoff returns? He's got no shake and less bake.

Pugger
12-15-2014, 02:21 PM
Why screw around with Harris when you have a legit back in Lacy? Harris only looked good because of what was on the roster at the time in 2012.

Deputy Nutz
12-15-2014, 02:32 PM
The Packers are going to live and die throwing the ball. Aaron Rodgers is their guy, if he fails the Packers are comfortable failing along side of him. It is really that simple.

Patler
12-15-2014, 02:39 PM
......you forgot the refs though. It seemed like they let the Bill DBs do what ever they wanted....

I did, and I had one for the refs, too:

I don't understand how the refs call a penalty only on GB in the scrum started after Williams' interception. The whistle had blown long before. Barrington, Guion, Daniels and Mathews all have their backs to the field and are already walking to the sideline. Barrington is on the white boundary marker, back to the field, unstrapping his helmet. Bills' player Eric Pears is jogging toward the Packer sideline, and is still a good four strides away. The Packers are walking. Pears continues and crosses the sideline at about the 50 yardline, where he is confronted by Julius Peppers. Pears gives Peppers a slight helmet to helmet headbutt, and the pushing and shoving commences. Pears is the RG, and was on the Bills' 30 yard line, just outside the hashmark when Orton threw. Whistles blew immediately as Williams fell down making the interception. So pears went from the 30 yardline at the hasmarks to the 50 yardline and crossed into the Packer team area. This had nothing to do with going after Williams on the interception. Williams was no where near. Pears looked to be going after Barrington.

Barrington appeared to block Jackson as Williams continued running up the sideline long after the whistle. But how can you not penalize a player who chases another for 25-30 yards, and crosses the sideline into the other team area? Pears action started the scrum.

MadScientist
12-15-2014, 02:39 PM

From a JS article:

He [Jim Swartz] continually had his safeties move up as though they were playing the run and then back off, or vice versa.

They were giving Rodgers run defense looks, so he would check to a pass, which was properly covered. Also the drops led to bad down and distance situations which calls for more passes. Finally they were falling behind and that leads to more passes.

Patler
12-15-2014, 02:52 PM
The Packers are going to live and die throwing the ball. Aaron Rodgers is their guy, if he fails the Packers are comfortable failing along side of him. It is really that simple.

You are only restating the obvious. That does not explain why they ignore the run so significantly in a close game on a day when the run game is amazingly productive and the passing game is totally out of whack. Eddie Lacy is "their guy" too, as demonstrated by the limited opportunities all season for Starks, and zero opportunities for Harris.

I question in my mind if it is more the result of the original play call from MM, or because of Rodgers going to the pass option whenever he possibly can at the LOS.

Striker
12-15-2014, 02:57 PM
You are only restating the obvious. That does not explain why they ignore the run so significantly in a close game on a day when the run game is amazingly productive and the passing game is totally out of whack. Eddie Lacy is "their guy" too, as demonstrated by the limited opportunities all season for Starks, and zero opportunities for Harris.

I question in my mind if it is more the result of the original play call from MM, or because of Rodgers going to the pass option whenever he possibly can at the LOS.

Somewhere in the JSO they mentioned that they went to the Cobb package yesterday in order to get him freed up in coverage. And maybe it wasn't asked, but that seems to point to them still thinking "pass pass pass" despite them finally having a running back who can carry the load.

Deputy Nutz
12-15-2014, 03:07 PM
I coached for a a pass happy offense, and it was unreal the way the offensive coordinator/head coach would call plays. It was like the game was played on the chalk board instead of on the field. This was a team that averaged 8.5 yards a carry, and the coach called 70% pass plays. It was like he got on some kind of high throwing the ball. It could have been he wanted to prove that he was smarter than his foe, and he wanted to demonstrated this by beating the chosen coverage. Maybe it was because the offense was really good at passing the football and it was like driving a Porsche instead of an F250. Strange shit happens in a passing game though, like drops, shit timing, throwing errors, break down in blocking, pressure, shit reads, but damned or high water he was going to throw the football and catch lightening in a bottle. Running the football simply isn't good enough, maybe it is ego.

Patler
12-15-2014, 03:21 PM
From a JS article:

They were giving Rodgers run defense looks, so he would check to a pass, which was properly covered. Also the drops led to bad down and distance situations which calls for more passes. Finally they were falling behind and that leads to more passes.

I don't buy much of that, because they saw what was happening and how well the run game was working as a result. Adjust on the fly. Run, and run and run some more until the Schwartz brings the safeties down and keeps them there. When he starts doing that because you are getting 4-10 yards on each run, use play action and hit the single covered WR. If you don't challenge their bluffs, they continue to force you into their game. First objective of offense in any sport is make the defense more consistently honest. We've talked about this for years. Regardless of what defenses "show" against GB, more often they will be playing pass, until you make them stop; and Lacy/Starks can do that if given a chance.

As for falling behind, they had the lead or were tied for the entire first half, except for 2 minutes and 54 seconds after the punt return. Buffalo didn't retake the lead until only half way through the 3rd, and then only by 3 points. The lead wasn't more than 6 until halfway through the 4th, and then was cut back to 6 less than 5 minute later. The Packers were ahead, tied or behind by less than a touch down for all but 4 minutes 55 seconds prior to the safety. That doesn't force you into anything different.

It wasn't just drops that gave poor down and distance situations. It was drops, Rodgers throwing poorly, and the passing game (receivers & QB) not being on the same page. The entire passing game was out of whack. Thinking that you have to pass more because your passing game sucks is sort of like the flippant definition of insanity, expecting a different result when you repeatedly do something to a given result.

Patler
12-15-2014, 03:35 PM
I coached for a a pass happy offense, and it was unreal the way the offensive coordinator/head coach would call plays. It was like the game was played on the chalk board instead of on the field. This was a team that averaged 8.5 yards a carry, and the coach called 70% pass plays. It was like he got on some kind of high throwing the ball. It could have been he wanted to prove that he was smarter than his foe, and he wanted to demonstrated this by beating the chosen coverage. Maybe it was because the offense was really good at passing the football and it was like driving a Porsche instead of an F250. Strange shit happens in a passing game though, like drops, shit timing, throwing errors, break down in blocking, pressure, shit reads, but damned or high water he was going to throw the football and catch lightening in a bottle. Running the football simply isn't good enough, maybe it is ego.

Ya, I would just hope that an NFL coach isn't so narrow minded. Passing plays do give more of an adrenalin rush than watching a typical 80 yard drive mostly on the ground. So maybe there is an addiction factor even in the NFL. But yesterday was different. When given the ball, Lacy and Starks were breaking into the open to much excitement time and time again. The "Lacy drive" in the first half, with three consecutive runs for 50 yards or so, was pretty darned exciting. I was hooked fro the day, but MM wouldn't give me my fix!!

mraynrand
12-15-2014, 03:54 PM
The "Lacy drive" in the first half, with three consecutive runs for 50 yards or so, was pretty darned exciting. I was hooked fro the day, but MM wouldn't give me my fix!!

can I join the choir?

pbmax
12-15-2014, 03:59 PM
Somewhere in the JSO they mentioned that they went to the Cobb package yesterday in order to get him freed up in coverage. And maybe it wasn't asked, but that seems to point to them still thinking "pass pass pass" despite them finally having a running back who can carry the load.

Cobb in the backfield is designed to get him on a LB in coverage, not as a substitute for running. They run him on it only so the Defense can't send a safety or CB in for the LB.

Cobb is fearless though, several of those runs looked like he was going to get his clock cleaned.

pbmax
12-15-2014, 04:03 PM
I would buy the giving him one look and then the other caused some of the imbalance. McCarthy entrusts Rodgers with checks and audibles for a significant percentage of the play calls. If it isn't red zone or short yardage, Rodgers has a green light to alter the play.

He is usually dead on, but coverage disguises (Lovie's Bears) and single versus 2 high safety has given him fits before.

They need to get used to the idea of banging away at the run occasionally even against a seven man box, no matter who is vulnerable in the D backfield.

vince
12-15-2014, 04:10 PM
Passing game wasn't working but if Nelson just does what he always does and catches that one long one, and Boykin (mugged or not) catches the one that bounced off him for a pick, we're singing a very different tune today...and if they could cover a punt.. and if they could block up a field goal attempt....

Lacy had some nice runs but he also took some pretty square hits. Not saying that his injury impacted his carries because we'll never know that but he did have a hip from the previous game that we didn't know about either until he had to sit out a couple practices.

vince
12-15-2014, 04:14 PM
Diehl needs to be fired right along with Slocum. With our luck he'll probably have the game next week too since it's unlikely to be at the top of the list of attractive matchups. Macaya Hyde and Brian Beluga. That was ridiculous. Get Billick back in the booth. Hated that guy as a coach but I thought he was great as an analyst.

Deputy Nutz
12-15-2014, 04:14 PM
Ya, I would just hope that an NFL coach isn't so narrow minded. Passing plays do give more of an adrenalin rush than watching a typical 80 yard drive mostly on the ground. So maybe there is an addiction factor even in the NFL. But yesterday was different. When given the ball, Lacy and Starks were breaking into the open to much excitement time and time again. The "Lacy drive" in the first half, with three consecutive runs for 50 yards or so, was pretty darned exciting. I was hooked fro the day, but MM wouldn't give me my fix!!

I guess it just reverts back to the game plan then, or something Packer fan doesn't want to hear; MM is trying to feed Aaron's ego. He is after all the front runner for the MVP, why would you not let him spin it? It has rarely if ever let you down in this magnitude.

I get it, let the hot hand run, but it isn't that simple although it should be. Maybe McCarthy just out schemed himself because his players didn't execute. He just trusted too damn much and he got his heart broken.

pbmax
12-15-2014, 04:45 PM
McCarthy at his PC today said he was comfortable with the balance and only would take 1 or 2 calls back.

Now, he has mislead on this point before, but its clear he isn't going to put this one up for public debate.

Patler
12-15-2014, 05:22 PM
Rushing Breakdown
1 st Half: Lacy -10/73 Starks - 4/19
2nd Half: Lacy - 5/24 Starks - zilch Cobb - 3/15

Passing Breakdown
1 st Half: 8/24/70/0/0
2nd Half: 9/18/115/0/2

mraynrand
12-15-2014, 05:34 PM
Get Billick back in the booth. Hated that guy as a coach but I thought he was great as an analyst.

agree.

My favorite announcing team in the past several years:

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/368e9e05bbf7238636181d1993077af57698337a/c=0-66-3000-2322&r=x383&c=540x380/local/-/media/Cincinnati/tvandmediablog/2014/08/06/1407347750000-Thom-Brennaman-Billick-2012.JPG

Tan in a can!

Joemailman
12-15-2014, 05:40 PM
Diehl needs to be fired right along with Slocum. With our luck he'll probably have the game next week too since it's unlikely to be at the top of the list of attractive matchups. Macaya Hyde and Brian Beluga. That was ridiculous. Get Billick back in the booth. Hated that guy as a coach but I thought he was great as an analyst.

Chris Myers, Ronde Barber, Jennifer Hale this week.

King Friday
12-15-2014, 05:41 PM
I have no idea why McCarthy refused to run the ball yesterday. He's a complete bonehead at times, which is why he might never reach the point of being an elite head coach. He came up with such a creative attack against New England...and then apparently burned every piece of paper that related to that game plan and had the Men In Black come erase his memory of it as well. Cobb should be in the backfield at least 8-10 times every game...used as both a rusher and receiver.

Why have the Packers been averse to acquiring an actual receiving threat out of the backfield? Lacy is a nice back and capable receiver, but he's not fast enough to be a true receiving threat on the edge. Starks is fast enough, but can't catch. Why can't we get a Reggie Bush type player as someone to rely on in these games against stout defensive fronts? You would hope that Cobb's play out of the backfield would cause a light bulb to go off...but I won't hold my breath.

IMO, that is one of the biggest factors making it difficult for Green Bay to attack these defenses...especially when the offensive brain trust figures that throwing the ball 60%+ of the time is always the best option. Without a threat out of the backfield, and especially without capable receiving threats at TE, you've made it far easier for a defense to take away most of your passing options.

pbmax
12-15-2014, 05:46 PM
Chris Myers, Ronde Barber, Jennifer Hale this week.

Radio it is then. I would rather listen to carnival rides than Ronde Barber.

Pugger
12-15-2014, 07:12 PM
Passing game wasn't working but if Nelson just does what he always does and catches that one long one, and Boykin (mugged or not) catches the one that bounced off him for a pick, we're singing a very different tune today...and if they could cover a punt.. and if they could block up a field goal attempt....

Lacy had some nice runs but he also took some pretty square hits. Not saying that his injury impacted his carries because we'll never know that but he did have a hip from the previous game that we didn't know about either until he had to sit out a couple practices.

I truly suspect we didn't run with Lacy much in the second half because his hip was bothering him. I remember one time after a tackle Lacy was rolling on the ground in pain. I didn't think we'd see him again and we didn't very much after that.

red
12-15-2014, 07:38 PM
I truly suspect we didn't run with Lacy much in the second half because his hip was bothering him. I remember one time after a tackle Lacy was rolling on the ground in pain. I didn't think we'd see him again and we didn't very much after that.

Yup, a couple of us were talking about it in the game thread. He was really slow getting up a few times and the cameras caught the training staff talking to him once.

Still, even if lacy couldnt go, starks was running just fine

And patler nailed it all in the first post, its nice to see those same thoughts coming from a non drunk every now and then, makes me feel connected with reality every now and then

sharpe1027
12-15-2014, 07:58 PM
I don't care so much about the run to pass ratio normally, but the Bills had almost no offensive threat all day. On the other hand, Jordy was 10 yards open deep three different times and only got the ball once, for a drop.

pbmax
12-15-2014, 09:34 PM
I don't care so much about the run to pass ratio normally, but the Bills had almost no offensive threat all day. On the other hand, Jordy was 10 yards open deep three different times and only got the ball once, for a drop.

That is the problem with this offense currently. If deep throws aren't happening, they struggle to put long drives together. Sometimes you need to be patient.

But M3 and Rodgers are going to take their shots every game. Its a high risk strategy for a West Coast offense.

Carolina_Packer
12-15-2014, 10:12 PM

I don't have Sunday Ticket, so unless I go out to see the Packers, or they are on a national game, most of the time I follow the game day thread, while watching Red Zone and watching the game cast on Packers.com

It seemed like during the game cast there were a lot of incomplete passes where Rodgers was throwing a deeper ball than needed for the down/distance. I'd be looking at the down and distance and saying just pick up the first down and then there would be a note saying incomplete deep left sideline and Green Bay would have to punt. I understand trying to take some shot plays and putting pressure on the defense, but sometimes the play calling seemed a tad aggressive seeing as how we were able to run the ball.

Look at the play-by-play chart. It shows how the starting field position was never that great on kick-offs, to Patler's point about Harris being mediocre at returning kicks. I agree, give the return game a boost and activate Janis. I know MM's probably combining Harris's contribution as back-up RB with kick returner, but man, the Packers need a lift in that dept. He's so shifty out of back field on run plays, but so pedestrian in his KR reads.

Play-by-play chart vs. Buffalo: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gametracker/playbyplay/NFL_20141214_GB@BUF

sharpe1027
12-15-2014, 10:18 PM
That is the problem with this offense currently. If deep throws aren't happening, they struggle to put long drives together. Sometimes you need to be patient.

But M3 and Rodgers are going to take their shots every game. Its a high risk strategy for a West Coast offense.
Did they take many shots though? It seemed like a lot of mid range misses and they didn't see Jordy running free.

pbmax
12-16-2014, 08:14 AM
Did they take many shots though? It seemed like a lot of mid range misses and they didn't see Jordy running free.

They did seem to take fewer than usual. And those they did take weren't as successful as normal.

But, in my mind, this makes it worse. Even armed with a game plan to pass shorter than typical, they couldn't sustain offense. Buffalo did all they could to disrupt the short game, but the Packers never solved it.

Their performance was worse than typical, but it was familiar.

EDIT: contraction fail

SkinBasket
12-16-2014, 09:01 AM
The fumble/safety is one for the rules committee, whereby they will probably apply a special subset of rules to the subset of rules which allowed for such an unbalanced situation to occur, instead of just scrapping the special rule.

And yeah, the broadcast was fucked up. The announcers were obviously only familiar with the AFC team, to the point that they seemed like local guys doing a preseason game. The assessment of the cheap shot on "Balooga" as "pay-back" for play along the line was sub-amateur. Replays of important moments were ignored in almost every situation in lieu of shots of players standing on the sidelines or Mike McCarthy screaming "bullshit! fuck! Fucking bullshit!"

pbmax
12-16-2014, 09:30 AM
The fumble/safety is one for the rules committee, whereby they will probably apply a special subset of rules to the subset of rules which allowed for such an unbalanced situation to occur, instead of just scrapping the special rule.

And yeah, the broadcast was fucked up. The announcers were obviously only familiar with the AFC team, to the point that they seemed like local guys doing a preseason game. The assessment of the cheap shot on "Balooga" as "pay-back" for play along the line was sub-amateur. Replays of important moments were ignored in almost every situation in lieu of shots of players standing on the sidelines or Mike McCarthy screaming "bullshit! fuck! Fucking bullshit!"

I wondered how that could be possible given that its a FOX/NFC crew, but since they substituted Vasgersian with Justin Kutcher, I wonder if he was formerly AFC or local.

Apparently neither, as both he and Diehl are in their rookie year. Poor matchmaking. Did Vasgersian quit?

Awful Announcing said despite what our ears were telling us, the Browns/Bengals game switched networks, not the Packers/Bills. Forgot about this new feature of the TV schedule where if a Network loses a game to flux scheduling, the NFL can poach a game from the other network to balance out the number of games and start times.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2014/nfl-crossflexes-week-15-bengals-browns-fox.html

sharpe1027
12-16-2014, 10:40 PM
They did seem to take fewer than usual. And those they did take weren't as successful as normal.

But, in my mind, this makes it worse. Even armed with a game plan to pass shorter than typical, they couldn't sustain offense. Buffalo did all they could to disrupt the short game, but the Packers never solved it.

Their performance was worse than typical, but it was familiar.

EDIT: contraction fail

From the best I can figure out Rodgers and the wrs were confused. I would hazard a guess that the Bills had a good idea of what Rodgers was keying on for play calls and used that to their advantage. There seemed to be several times that they were dropping off or coming up in coverages from one WR right into a route of another receiver as if they knew where the Packers were expecting to go.

woodbuck27
12-16-2014, 10:59 PM
From the best I can figure out Rodgers and the wrs were confused. I would hazard a guess that the Bills had a good idea of what Rodgers was keying on for play calls and used that to their advantage. There seemed to be several times that they were dropping off or coming up in coverages from one WR right into a route of another receiver as if they knew where the Packers were expecting to go.

I wonder if the Packers change their play calls any time during a game; as in when something like what transpired on Sunday takes place?

There can easily be a system of observation after a certain call at the LOS.

He called this >>> they did that. Could it be that easy?

Striker
12-17-2014, 12:07 AM

Yes, yes they did.

According to ESPN Stats & Information, Rodgers attempted a season-high 14 passes that flew at least 15 yards downfield but completed just two of them. Before Sunday, Rodgers had the fifth best completion percentage (51.3) in the league on such passes. He was averaging 17.7 yards per attempt and had 11 touchdowns without an interception on such throws.

Against the Bills, he completed just 14.3 percent of his passes that went at least 15 yards for an average of just 2.3 yards per attempt and also had one of his two interceptions on such throws.

Freak Out
12-17-2014, 12:51 AM
It was the Schwartz.

sharpe1027
12-17-2014, 03:33 AM
Yes, yes they did.

Interesting. Is 15 yards the right measure? My recollection was a lot in the 10-20 yard range, in front of the safties. I do not think they took many shots behind the safties.

Rutnstrut
12-17-2014, 12:16 PM
Plus the defense pretty much only had to worry about the pass, because the egomaniac stubby don't need no stinking running game. The Broncos showed the perfect plan for beating the Bills the week before. But that's not how stubby wanted to do it.

mraynrand
12-17-2014, 12:43 PM
egomaniac stubby

He can't be both. He's either an egomaniac, or he's a bullheaded, stubborn, kinda tubby guy. I think the latter. He just doesn't have that metaphorically swelled head like a Holmgren.

pbmax
12-17-2014, 03:01 PM
Yes, yes they did.

Yeah, someone posted that elsewhere. I am not sure the 15 yard measure captures my impression of the Packers passing game. That is not the kind of downfield shot I am talking about. And at 42 throws, they had 27 shorter than 15 yards. That's almost a Lovie Smith offense.