PDA

View Full Version : Bye, Bye Boykin (I think it's coming, or should be.)

Patler
12-15-2014, 01:07 PM
If ever a guy was playing himself off a roster, I think Boykin is doing it. He has had several drops in only a few targeted passes, then had the deflection yesterday for an interception. But that's not the worst of it. More significantly, Boykin semi gave-up on the TD punt return, then found himself barely out of position to make a tackle. STs are supposed to be his thing.

Just watched it several times. Boykin was angling toward the play, at first running hard, but looked to be out of it because the play was going away from him toward the sideline. He clearly let up a little. Masthay and Goodson were both going hard. Masthay was absolutely flying. The guy has some speed. Goodsen made a nice play to force Thigpen to cut back toward the center at about the 18 yard line, and because Masthay was going hard he had to cut in even further. Lo and Behold, there was Boykin who THEN tried to accelerate, but Thigpen was just barely out of his reach. Boykin stretched, got a hand on Thigpen, but nothing more. A better effort from Boykin and he might have saved the TD.

Time to give Janis some opportunities; or sign White or Gillett from the practice squad and see if they want to be NFL players more than Boykin apparently does.

woodbuck27
12-15-2014, 01:13 PM
If ever a guy was playing himself off a roster, I think Boykin is doing it. He has had several drops in only a few targeted passes, then had the deflection yesterday for an interception. But that's not the worst of it. More significantly, Boykin semi gave-up on the TD punt return, then found himself barely out of position to make a tackle. STs are supposed to be his thing.

Just watched it several times. Boykin was angling toward the play, at first running hard, but looked to be out of it because the play was going away from him toward the sideline. He clearly let up a little. Masthay and Goodson were both going hard. Masthay was absolutely flying. The guy has some speed. Goodsen made a nice play to force Thigpen to cut back toward the center at about the 18 yard line, and because Masthay was going hard he had to cut in even further. Lo and Behold, there was Boykin who THEN tried to accelerate, but Thigpen was just barely out of his reach. Boykin stretched, got a hand on Thigpen, but nothing more. A better effort from Boykin and he might have saved the TD.

Time to give Janis some opportunities; or sign White or Gillett from the practice squad and see if they want to be NFL players more than Boykin apparently does.

I just checked plays to Boykin Patler and I 'only' see this:

3-4-BUF 34 ... (11:15) (Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers pass short middle intended for 11-J.Boykin INTERCEPTED by 30-B.Rambo at BUF 20. 30-B.Rambo to BUF 48 for 28 yards (63-C.Linsley). GB-75-B.Bulaga was injured during the play. Pass bounced off receiver's hands at BUF 32. B.Bulaga walks off.

That was an unfortunate TO with the pass bouncing out of Boykin's hands and picked by B. Rambo.

More surprizing to me:

I see J. Nelson targeted a total of 14 times in the game and he made 5 receptions for 55 Yards (a long of 20 yards).

He was targeted a total of 10 times in the first half and was 3/10 for 19 Yards.

For a little comedic relief :-) and NOT to take this thread off topic. I made this observation of another Packer on 'D'.

I know everyone is all over Mike Daniels and how much he contributes but Damn it was funny watching him pursue down the left hand sideline.

Tackle him...ahh not yet...OK tackle him... not quite yet...tackle him ... ahh not now...etc...etc.

That was somehow and unfortunately hilarious for me to see.

Message to Packer Trainers:

Mike Daniels and abdominal 'FAT' isn't working for him...unless it's going forward. :idea:

Tyrion Lannister
12-15-2014, 01:43 PM

To quote PB, Boykin was "WAY too tentative and he broke down too far from the returner." Plus, Boykin plays offense. We all know that offensive players aren't taught to dive at folks feet. ;-)

Ok, I keed, I keed.

Boykin's days as a Packer might be numbered, but he probably won't be gone, baby, gone til the off-season or at the end of the next TC. Agreed that Janis should be playing, maybe even as a KO returner. He has speed, but he probably is still too raw - Bill Schroeder as a rookie all over again.

Fritz
12-15-2014, 02:00 PM
Merry Christmas, Jarrett. Go spend it with your family.

Welcome to our ST unit, Mr. Gillette. Or Mr. Janis.

woodbuck27
12-15-2014, 02:30 PM
Merry Christmas, Jarrett. Go spend it with your family.

Welcome to our ST unit, Mr. Gillette. Or Mr. Janis.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTIpiqoRkilU92gYBSk4JziI5A7B2f6c iY3sPFSHlGufgsF4oUg6A

An Angry Crowd.

Patler
12-15-2014, 03:44 PM
To quote PB, Boykin was "WAY too tentative and he broke down too far from the returner."

That sounds more like what Richardson did as the first guy to really confront Thigpen five yards or so after he caught it. Boykin was chasing from the opposite side, but sure looked to be coasting for a bit as he trailed the play. He didn't get anywhere close to Thigpen until Thigpen was forced to cut back 60 yards down field.

mraynrand
12-15-2014, 03:54 PM
If they're gonna replace Boykin, they better do it in a hurry.

vince
12-15-2014, 04:03 PM
Janis must be really raw as a route runner and not able to reliably read defenses on the fly because all that guy has done that we've heard and seen is make plays - as a returner and receiver. Maybe the numbers just don't add up on coverage teams, as if those could be worse. Seems to me as an outside observer that he could answer a few questions this team has.

pbmax
12-15-2014, 04:05 PM
I thought Bostick was loafing even more on that play.

KYPack
12-15-2014, 05:05 PM
I thought Bostick was loafing even more on that play.

I was hoping those guys would make big progress this year.

Get rid of both of 'em.

Their names are confusing me.

Tyrion Lannister
12-15-2014, 05:16 PM
Janis must be really raw as a route runner and not able to reliably read defenses on the fly because all that guy has done that we've heard and seen is make plays - as a returner and receiver. Maybe the numbers just don't add up on coverage teams, as if those could be worse. Seems to me as an outside observer that he could answer a few questions this team has.

I'd use Janis in the slot over any of the bum TEs on roster. Or put him outside opposite Adams and play Nelson and Cobb inside. Probably not gonna happen this season cos McCarthy likes using TEs in the backfield out of that 3 WRs shut-gun set.

denverYooper
01-18-2015, 07:16 PM
This was the thread I was thinking of with Bostick, but I was wrong.

woodbuck27
02-16-2015, 09:09 PM
That's a Whoops !

For some reason I seem to get the names of players and positions Jarret Boykin and Brandon Bostick mixed up.

Joemailman
02-16-2015, 09:23 PM

It appears as if Brandon Bostick was released.

Brandon Bostick @Bostick11

Thankful To Spend The First 3 Years Of My Career In GB. Unfortunately My Time There Has Ended. I Appreciate The Support From Everyone In GB!

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?27602-Should-They-Stay-Or-Should-They-Go&p=828332#post828332

woodbuck27
02-16-2015, 09:36 PM
http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?27602-Should-They-Stay-Or-Should-They-Go&p=828332#post828332

Thanks Joe .... I fixed post #13.