PDA

View Full Version : The epitomy of the Packers fights back from near death

Patler
12-17-2014, 02:09 PM
When he played, his team mates said Bart Starr was not only the toughest Packer mentally, but also the toughest physically. He is putting both to work battling back from death's door.

A good JSO article:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/bart-starr-recovers-slowly-from-strokes-b99409260z1-286044461.html

Bart Starr, who turns 81 in January, suffered two strokes, multiple seizures, and a heart attack in early September.

"He was having his first stroke the day he went to the hospital," she (Cherry Starr) said. "That would have been something from which he could have likely recovered, if it had stopped there. Unfortunately, the second stroke and the multiple seizures did the most damage."

Starr's voice began to crack, and she cleared her throat. "The doctors told me if he had one more seizure he might not live, and I didn't know if Bart would make it through the night," she said. "Somehow he did. Even though he's 80, he's still tough."

After months of modest improvement and addressing unforeseen complications like bladder infections, Starr came home about three weeks ago. While continuing his physical and speech therapies daily, Starr literally took some big steps last week.

"Bart has been confined to a wheelchair, but made some notable progress by taking five steps," Cherry said. "Then he took about 15 steps with a walker, and the other day he walked to his study and his favorite lounge chair."

I pray that Packer fans, heck NFL fans, get to see Bart Starr, Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers standing together in Lambeau field. But for Starr's stroke, we likely would have seen it this fall.

Hang in there Bart.......

woodbuck27
12-17-2014, 02:28 PM
I used up my Free Ten already this month Patler.

All the same yes it's sad. Us older fellas are losing the hero's of our youth.

The Frederick "FUZZY" Thurston's. The Jean Beliveau's just don't exist as their rare in what they represented.

Bart Starr is clearly in the same conversation with the Great Jean Beliveau.

Beliveau was SUPER Special. All of Canada mourned the loss of this remarkable man.

I'm sure it will be equally sad for Packer Nation and so many NFL fans when we lose Bart Starr.

Get well Bart.

woodbuck27
12-17-2014, 08:36 PM
Bump.