PDA

View Full Version : Winners and Losers of GB VS CINN

Deputy Nutz
08-29-2006, 09:21 PM
Sorry for the delay, but when you spill a Screw Driver all over your labtop bad things tend to happen to the old motherboard. Don't worry, I got a warranty. Anyways, what a god awful display we all had to witness last night. This team may have talent, but it sure ain't on the offensive line. These guys are just painful most of the times and I am just not talking about Spitz and Moll. The tackles, Tauscher and Clifton are playing like first year rookies with there head up there butts. This team is critically young, and they simply can't take set backs. When things start to unravel against veteran teams, they seem to have the mental capability to get their heads screwed on right, and come back and play some solid football, but not young teams. they simply fall apart. They drop passes, miss blocking assignments, blow reads, miss tackles, and blow coverages. It is a slippery slope with Young and inexperienced teams. Even in 2003 the Packers were more than capable of coming back and playing winning football after a Favre fumble, or interception for a score. You can't expect this team to do the same, what you can expect is that this team will crumble and lose by 30 points.

Winners

1. Ryan Pickett, with him in the middle teams simply can't dislodge him to gain yards on the ground. He is able to penatrate and force the running back to make his cut or move before his blocking has time to set up. As a whole as was impressed with only one aspect of this Packer football team and it was the first string defense's ability to stop the run and it starts with the defensive tackles.

2. Al Harris, Harris really has Chad Jackson's number. Jackson was held to zero catches by Harris, which must make Harris and his agent very happy. Harris hasn't lost a step, he proved that last night, he might have lost a bit of motivation in the first two preseason games based on his contract situation. Unfortunately the opposite rings true for the other starting corner.

3. Ahman Green, Green made chicken salad out of chicken shit last night. Green runs extremely hard and extremely fast. At the very least he has not lost a step from last year, before the injury. He did slip once in the backfield, but the field contitions were in question last night, and a slip was understandable. Green missed a pass from Favre, although Favre did wing it at him before he had he had a chance to look for the ball. Green is still the Packers best option at the running back position.

Losers,

The offensive line via Ted Thompson, the man just doesn't get the importance of a veteran line, and with that the importance of offensive guards. Instead of digging into his pockets for nickels and dimes to pay guys like Adrian Klemm and Matt O'dwyer, he decided to draft three offensive linemen to play offensive guard even though none of them were offensive guards in college. I keep scratching my head and wondering if this guy is ever going to figure out that blocking is one of the two most important fundementals of football. Maybe they truly expected guys like Junius Coston and Will Whitticker to pan out, but even so, those two have less than two years of experience.
The switch to the zone blocking scheme has also failed to this point. To many defensive players are running free, and are going simply unblocked. It would be easy to blame everything on Spitz, Moll, and Colledge, but the fact is that the Packers two best linemen are now struggling in the running game, and are now even getting beat in pass pro. If they can't get it together in the next two weeks, the Bears will be dinning on Favre and Green Bay running backs for 60 minutes. The Bengals's defense is decent, and the Packers made them look like All Pros at every postion.

2. Brett Favre, he made some mistakes, especially the fumble. I could go on and on in defending the fumble and the interception, but he is 36 years old and has been a starting QB for 15 years, he needs no excuses made on his behalf. This team can't come back mentally or physically at this point from Favre's mistakes. The fumble and INT might have only turned into 10 points, but it simply lost the football game, and the spirit of this team.

3. Receivers, here is a brillant idea, and a concept that has been developing since the early 1920s, it is called the foward pass, but it only works if guys catch the stinking ball, at one point I think I counted at least 8 drops, or passes that hit receivers in the hands. See this is what I mean about the snowball effect of Favre's turnovers, this team isn't mentally stable enough to deal with sudden change, and the drops were in my belief a direct result of Favre's fumble and Int.

4. Defensive Backs, other than Harris this unit was down right pathetic and miserable. Woodson played completely half assed, and Manuel looked like absolute garabage, and that is to be expected since he hasn't practiced all training camp. I sure hope Woodson is just dicking around, because if he is serious out there, then this team got hosed, about 10 million dollars worth of hose.

I flat out picked the obvious about last nights game, I guess i could mention the absolute terrible punting by John Ryan, but I think I will just let it go. Sorry about the computer problem, it distracted me from the game, and I haven't had time to go back and watch that garbage.

One other thing. This team defense on third down is gawd awful, and I will blame it on missed tackles, and poor coaching. Thats it, please feel free to add on. Have a good one!

Bretsky
08-29-2006, 09:31 PM
IMO you are being too generous with Pickett

b bulldog
08-29-2006, 09:33 PM
The db's and wr's were awful on Monday night.

Partial
08-29-2006, 09:35 PM
IMO you are being too generous with Pickett

I agree

chewy-bacca
08-29-2006, 09:39 PM
When Woodson wiffed on that weak arm tackle then just sat there an watched everyone else miss as the reciver went in for a TD, my head almost exploded.

I sure wish he was at the OTAs and what not, looks like he could have used the extra time.
I hope its a matter of everyone getting on the same page, and getting the whole D package in there.

One more thing, I shudder to think what team we are gonna see FRIDAY at 3PM. Only + to that is they have 8 days befor the opener.

EDIT - nice post Nutz :smile:

Deputy Nutz
08-29-2006, 09:42 PM
well Rudi Johnson gained 35 yards on 12 carries, and he is an in between the tackles runner. I think Pickett performed his job, along with the rest of the defensive line. Now the pass rush is a different story altogether.

gbpackfan
08-29-2006, 09:49 PM
I agree, the rush D wasn't the problem.

Scott Campbell
08-29-2006, 09:52 PM
Sorry for the delay, but when you spill a Screw Driver all over your labtop bad things tend to happen to the old motherboard. Don't worry, I got a warranty.

Ok, before I read the rest of your post. Who in the hell is going to warranty against spilled screw drivers? Sorry to say, I think you're going to be the one screwed here.

Deputy Nutz
08-29-2006, 09:53 PM
Sorry for the delay, but when you spill a Screw Driver all over your labtop bad things tend to happen to the old motherboard. Don't worry, I got a warranty.

Ok, before I read the rest of your post. Who in the hell is going to warranty against spilled screw drivers? Sorry to say, I think you're going to be the one screwed here.

Doesn't that extra Best Buy Warranty cover most everything?

Partial
08-29-2006, 09:58 PM

Doesn't that extra Best Buy Warranty cover most everything?

No, fuck no. Never buy that shit man. Seriously, they make 87% profit average on those. I used to work there. My guess is you are SOL because its induced damage not hardware failure. Claim that you did not spill anything on it and it must be standard humidity. Play ignorant and raise a stink or you will not get what you deserve/want out of it. I am being 100% serious here, they have already taken your money they couldn't care less about you now unless you make a big enough stink that it could cause others to leave the store. From my experiences in PCHO (personal computer home office) thats the only way customers with legitmate problems got things done, let alone things not necessary covered by warranty.

By the way, make sure you do a spyware scan otherwise they will blame it on that and rape you on and charge you anyway. It might be to your advantage to do a fresh install of windows, but then again they don't include restore cd's with computers anymore (charge 20 bones for 'em) so I don't know how you'd do that.

Scott Campbell
08-29-2006, 09:59 PM
Oh. I dunno. I figured you were talking about a manufacturers warranty. Maybe Best Buy will bail you out.

You need to borrow one of the kids sippee cups around your laptop.

Fritz
08-30-2006, 06:24 AM
These players played well: Cullen Jenkins, Al Harris, maybe Mike Montgomery. Hawkins covered well a few times, got beat others.

AJ Hawk was invisible. Marquel Marquand is still looking for his jockstrap, somewhere on the field in Cinci. Chad Clifton and Mark Taucscher can't see anything right now because their heads are in their asses. Robert Ferguson and Rod Gardner are twins - neither gets much separation, and balls clang off their hands more than they ought. The punter is inconsistent. Nobody knows what the kicker will do.

That's the short list of what went wrong. All in all, we knew the offense would be a work in progress, but we didn't know the defense would be so lame.

Deputy Nutz
08-30-2006, 09:14 AM
I thought Hawk played all riight, it seemed that the Bengals ran a lot of stuff to the strong side and Hawk was in pursuit.

I also know on one play Hawk attacked the lead blocker and blew him up behind the line of scrimmage and Barnett missed the play. That has to be frustrating.

Partial
08-30-2006, 09:15 AM
Deputy,

how can we improve our pass rush without sacrificing our pass defense if we don't get to the passer?

TOP HAT
08-30-2006, 10:52 AM
I am glad to read it. Truly as gbpackfan said, an embarrassing performance against a wanna be super bowl team with a decade of
losing seasons or more. Even worse, was the media hype of a
quarterback's return building it up into a major great victory.

A predictable scenario built into a great media frenzy Bengals victory
backing up preseason predictions about the Pack for 2 days in the mainstream media after this awful performance...including ESPN
debating for 2 days about BF will be benched by October...simply awful pr for the greatness of the Packer tradition.

Further, your similar theme about my point about "you pay for what you get" and "draft the quality player at the right position" says a lot about this wanna be managment culture mode at the office. Simply, absolutely awful,
with the saving grace that at least some of the draft choices look good for the long term development.

If I can get an individual ol performance, meaning Moll and Spitz,
for the game, let me know about their progress or f grade.

Finally, deja vu, the old issues for 2 seasons now, ol and dl pass rush, with the impact pass rush de not truly addressed over the offseason. Folks, you should scratch your head, simply unbelievable.

top hat

Fritz
08-30-2006, 01:42 PM
Hey, it's never as bad or as good as it looks in pre-season. There's cause for concern not panic.

woodbuck27
08-30-2006, 03:29 PM
Deputy Nutz:

Geee ! Thanks for that report.

Your telling us that we "were bare assed " out there on Monday night.

I agree that we have to set the flow of the game... in some positive motion at it's beginning, not fall into a hole... then hit the panic switch, to try and get out. Little steps are necessary given the inexperience in the OL and OUR strength at WR after DD and (maybe) Greg Jennings.

Greg Jennings. He's a Rookie Packer fans.

I'm somewhat alarmed of your report on OUR Vet. starting tackles and each man on the OL has to set his head to relax and stick to fundamentles.

PROTECTION. BLOCKING !!

Too many mentle errors again on the OL, as we saw last season.

We must not take false starts and off side penalty's. When it comes to any success, the primary duty of all offensive lineman must be to block. Allow some real chance for play options.

Marquand Manuel... hopefully, just needs time to settle in. Out a long while.

" Once upon a time" solid CB Charles Woodson..Good Gaud...
what was / has GENERAL MANAGER of the GREEN BAY PACKERS...Ted Thompson been thinking? DAM !! I hope he smartens up and gets his head in gear for OUR team... now.

Jon Ryan??

Why are you "so heavy down on his outing"... giving the field conditions and his overall performance in the game, which was certainly improved vastly... over what we endured in 2005 at the punting position?

Glad to hear that Al Harris was on the button.

Deputy Nutz:

Where was Ahmad Carroll?

How did Abdul Hodge look to you?

What did you see from Aaron Kampman?

PACKER FAN FAITH !![/b]

Deputy Nutz
08-30-2006, 06:24 PM
Deputy Nutz:

Where was Ahmad Carroll?

How did Abdul Hodge look to you?

What did you see from Aaron Kampman?

I looked at a little film this morning, and I wasn't all that impressed with Ahmad and Abdul. They played average, maybe a little better than some. Ahmad gave up a little here and there, but didn't get burnt deep, and kept his hands to himself. Abdul once again is a rookie linebacker with some talent in snuffing out the run, but like all rookies he makes mistakes, mistakes that he could get away with in college, but are dead in the pros. He will learn, and most likely when it comes to resigning Barnett, the Packers will have room to negotiate because of having Hodge on the roster.

Kampman is great against the run, but almost gets a failing grade when asked to pass rush. He just doesn't get off the ball fast enough, and then is left to hand fight with the offensive tackle.

Guiness
08-30-2006, 09:07 PM
looked at film? What format - anything 'shareable'?

mraynrand
08-31-2006, 08:05 AM
"this team isn't mentally stable enough to deal with sudden change, and the drops were in my belief a direct result of Favre's fumble and Int. "
----

The stock market also took a nosedive on word of Favre's fumble and INT.

But seriously, with a very young team, and a QB in the waiting who likely has more team friends now than Favre, you have to wonder what happens to team chemistry if Favre looks bad in the reg. season.

MJZiggy
08-31-2006, 08:29 AM
Nothing happens. Aaron may have more buddies, but nobody doubts (Aaron included) that this is Brett Favre's team. He is their HOF leader and every one of those kids knows what they can learn from him. It's like having an extra dad, right there in the locker room.

HarveyWallbangers
08-31-2006, 09:42 AM
But seriously, with a very young team, and a QB in the waiting who likely has more team friends now than Favre, you have to wonder what happens to team chemistry if Favre looks bad in the reg. season.

After ARod's 2 for 6 for 7 yards effort against Cincinnati's scrubs, I think Favre still firmly has the other players on his side.

Fritz
08-31-2006, 12:30 PM
This isn't even an issue. And anybody who makes any noise about starting Rogers if the season is going badly sounds an awful lot like a Lions fan.

Noodle
08-31-2006, 01:13 PM
Nice work on the analysis, always entertaining and clear eyed. I agree about Green. He looked pretty good. I saw our backs slip a couple of times on the slick turf, so I didn't get too bummed about Green's fall, and he looked fast and punishing. I'm calling it a pretty good night for Ahman.

As our OL experts have noted on another (great) thread, there's just something bad going on with the backside blocking. Hard to be effective running when our backs are shaking hands with the DL before they even reach the LOS.