View Full Version : Green not playing in exhibition final

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-29-2006, 11:10 PM
The light turns red for Green
He passes test, but still won't face Titans

By TOM SILVERSTEIN
tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Aug. 29, 2006

If Ahman Green didn't get everything he needed out of the Green Bay Packers' third exhibition game Monday night, he'll have to go into the regular-season opener against Chicago on Sept. 10 as is.

After playing 19 snaps in the Packers' 48-17 loss to the Cincinnati Bengals, Green told reporters that the plan was for him to sit out the exhibition finale Friday against the Tennessee Titans at Lambeau Field. His return from a torn thigh tendon was mapped out long ago and the plan was to have him play in just one exhibition game.

Green will practice this week but with just four days between the Bengals and Titans games, the coaches and medical staff aren't going to risk pushing him beyond his limits.

"That's just our game plan," Green said.

Against the Bengals, Green lined up at halfback on 16 of the offense's first 18 plays, including four straight in which he carried every time. It was as close as Green will get this summer to a regular-season experience before the Bears come to town.

"I feel good," Green said after the game. "Right now, it's just another step forward in getting ready for Chicago, getting in there and getting banged around. I picked up one blitz and stopped it.

"Now it's getting to the nuances of getting my head turned around quicker when I'm coming out of the backfield for a pass and eyeing the defense, seeing where they're rotating to and when they're coming for a blitz. Other than that, everything felt pretty good out there."

Green carried the ball eight times for 18 yards, which by his standards is a pretty mediocre day. But he said his goal was to get his body accustomed to the physical portion of the game in a way that he can't get in practice, and not necessarily to gain 100 yards.

Early in the game, Green took plenty of hits because the Packers couldn't get anything going against the Bengals. After Cincinnati took a 17-0 lead, Green started a series at the Packers' 35 with a fumble caused by tackle John Thornton.

Green recovered the ball for no gain and then gained 8 yards on the next play. On third and 2, he gained 1 yard and on fourth down, coach Mike McCarthy decided to go for it. Green ran the ball again and gained 2 yards for a first down.

"I've been working hard all off-season for that endurance to come," Green said. "I needed it out there today and it worked. I think I took 15 or 16 plays before I took a break. For a guy who's been out 10 months and not in live action (that's pretty good). Practice is really hard to simulate a football game, pro, college or anywhere. Tonight, I felt pretty good."

On his television show Tuesday evening, McCarthy said he was pleased with the work Green got in the game, even though it was limited to less than two quarters and eight carries. The optimum scenario would be if Green were able to play in one more game and continue to build his football endurance and shake off the rust.

This week, the Packers have a single practice schedule today before the Tennessee game and then they begin preparations for the Bears on Monday. The next time Green takes a hit it will be against Chicago.

"It was a success because he came out healthy," McCarthy said of Green's work against the Bengals. "You need that when you're coming off a season-ending injury. I'd like to give him more opportunities, but the 20 to 25 plays is what we expected. I thought it was a success."

gbpackfan
08-30-2006, 12:39 AM
I actually would like to see Green take a couple series on Friday. I understand being cautious and all but, and I know this sounds bad, if that tendon is going to pop I would like it to do so before we make our final cuts. Also, he needs to shake all the rust off before Chicago. A couple of series against the Titans would be good for him.

Packnut
08-30-2006, 08:07 AM
Another mistake by MM. Green need's some playing time with 3 new OL in front of him. In fact, after how we played Monday night, our starters should play into the second quarter.

pbmax
08-30-2006, 08:22 AM
Another mistake by MM. Green need's some playing time with 3 new OL in front of him. In fact, after how we played Monday night, our starters should play into the second quarter.
C'mon. This decision sounds medical, not football.

The real worry is can one more week of rest mean he will be physically ready for an entire game? Or will he need to share time with another RB?

Packnut
08-30-2006, 08:29 AM

The real worry is can one more week of rest mean he will be physically ready for an entire game? Or will he need to share time with another RB?

No what it means is based on past experience, Green will be prone to fumbles due to lack of pre-season playing time. You can't claim this is medical with the season right around the corner. It would be different IF we had a good #2 RB but we don't.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-30-2006, 09:19 AM

I agree, if you read the article it says that this was the plan of the medical staff in bring him back slowly. This was not MM choice.

TPF
08-30-2006, 09:26 AM
Let him rest, we need him ready for CHI.

HarveyWallbangers
08-30-2006, 09:41 AM
No what it means is based on past experience, Green will be prone to fumbles due to lack of pre-season playing time. You can't claim this is medical with the season right around the corner. It would be different IF we had a good #2 RB but we don't.

Green is always prone to fumbles early in the regular season--whether he plays a full preseason schedule or not. I have no problem at all with this decision.

MJZiggy
08-30-2006, 09:51 AM
I say they're right. Let him run around in practice and get his wind and limit his reinjury risk until he's in a game that counts. I mean if he were to play and took a bad hit that injured him, you'd be screaming that there was no reason for him to be in there where he could get injured.

pittstang5
08-30-2006, 09:51 AM
No what it means is based on past experience, Green will be prone to fumbles due to lack of pre-season playing time.

Well, if it's medical, maybe Green shouldn't play. Personally, I want to see him play the entire 1st half on Friday. Alot of people in here are optimistic after Green's performance on Monday. I'm not satisfied.

Packnut brings up a good point about Green's fumbling. I read that Green fumbled on Monday night (he also recovered, but that's not the point) and I don't remember seeing it. Quite frankly, I still can't bring myself to rewatch this disaster. He's notorious for fumbling early in the season and the Bears are a very physical team. A little extra play time may get the fumblitis out of him, when the game doesn't count....maybe.

I hate saying this, but I'm expecting Green to fumble at least twice during the Bears game - Bears recovering both.

MJZiggy
08-30-2006, 09:54 AM
Pessimist.

pittstang5
08-30-2006, 09:57 AM
Pessimist.

No, Realist.

But I hope I'm wrong.