View Full Version : 5 Packers Named To Pro Bowl Roster

Joemailman
12-23-2014, 07:34 PM
John Kuuuuuuuuuuuuuhn
Clay Matthews
Jordy Nelson
Aaron Rodgers
Josh Sitton

Didn't expect Kuhn. He's probably getting less playing time than he used to. The rest were certainly deserving.

Tyrion Lannister
12-23-2014, 07:44 PM
John Kuuuuuuuuuuuuuhn
Clay Matthews
Jordy Nelson
Aaron Rodgers
Josh Sitton

Didn't expect Kuhn. He's probably getting less playing time than he used to. The rest were certainly deserving.

Kuhn was a default pick. Nobody could name a FB in the NFL, so the NFL went with the guy with the funny and/or offensive name. I thought a Fox announcer called Kuhn "Kahn" during the GB-TB game. I like Kahn better. It reminds me of that materialistic Laotian from "King of the Hill."

Joemailman
12-23-2014, 07:52 PM
Khan would be better. Wrath of Khan makes him sound tougher.

Broncos had 9 selections. Giants, Jaguars, Titans and Vikings had none.

Packers selections would make for a bad basketball team. 5 white guys.

Tyrion Lannister
12-23-2014, 07:58 PM
Khan would be better. Wrath of Khan makes him sound tougher.

Broncos had 9 selections. Giants, Jaguars, Titans and Vikings had none.

lol

HowardRoark
12-23-2014, 08:02 PM
http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-basketball/files/2014/02/USATSI_7785185_149008768_lowres.jpg

Harlan Huckleby
12-23-2014, 08:23 PM
I think Kuhn has been blocking great this year.

sharpe1027
12-23-2014, 08:29 PM
I think Kuhn has been blocking great this year.

Maybe, but how many snaps has he played this year?

Tyrion Lannister
12-23-2014, 08:36 PM
http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-basketball/files/2014/02/USATSI_7785185_149008768_lowres.jpg

What happened to Travon or Tavaris Jackson?

I don't follow college sports much anymore. Makes me wish I was still a young, institutionalized, stud.

Harlan Huckleby
12-23-2014, 08:36 PM
Maybe, but how many snaps has he played this year?

Eric Baranczyk said on radio yesterday that Kuhn has played a lot because the Packer TEs can't block for shit. Not sure what "a lot" means.

woodbuck27
12-23-2014, 08:53 PM
The voters missed on this fella:

Randall Cobb should have been voted in.

He was formerly ranked #1 WR ** here and presently sits 4th behind #3 Jordy Nelson.

** http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr

OK .... so Randall Cobb is a Best Kept Secret.

An observation:

Look where Rookie NY GIANT WR Odell Beckham is ranked !

HowardRoark
12-23-2014, 09:02 PM
I don't follow college sports much anymore. Makes me wish I was still a young, institutionalized.......

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1116111/kennedybeltran.png

red
12-23-2014, 10:18 PM
The voters missed on this fella:

Randall Cobb should have been voted in.

He was formerly ranked #1 WR ** here and presently sits 4th behind #3 Jordy Nelson.

** http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr

OK .... so Randall Cobb is a Best Kept Secret.

An observation:

Look where Rookie NY GIANT WR Odell Beckham is ranked !

Lot of people saying Beckham might already be the best wr in the game. I havent watched him, but i guess he looks crazy good

Joemailman
12-23-2014, 10:40 PM
Cobb would be deserving, but it's tough to get 2 WR's from the same team.

mraynrand
12-23-2014, 11:05 PM
Cobb would be deserving, but it's tough to get 2 WR's from the same team.

Minnesota got two from the Packers

vince
12-23-2014, 11:28 PM
Lacy, Cobb, Peppers, Shields, Williams, Lang, and Bakhtiari all alternates.

HarveyWallbangers
12-24-2014, 01:07 AM
Four of the five were deserving. They should just do away with selecting a FB for the Pro Bowl. Most teams barely use a FB anymore. Lacy and Cobb were deserving but probably rightfully omitted. Peppers and Lang have been solid. Williams a bit better than Shields. Bakhtiari is a bit of a head scratcher. Linsley and Daniels deserved a mention. Burnett hasn't played at a Pro Bowl level, but he's been solid. He leads all NFL DBs in solo tackles and total tackles. Also kind of interesting to see the all around production of Clay and Peppers. J.J. Watt has 11 pass deflections. Peppers has 11. Matthews has 9. Out of the top 35 sackers (7+ sacks), no others have more than 5 pass deflections. Peppers is the only one with 2+ interceptions. Only five have even one--Clay being one. Peppers has the second most forced fumbles amongst the group.

woodbuck27
12-24-2014, 07:04 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-mike-mccarthy-says-clay-matthews-having-his-best-season-b99413138z1-286636371.html

Notes

Packers' Mike McCarthy says Clay Matthews having his best season

woodbuck27
12-24-2014, 07:49 AM
NFL RB's Ranking after Week 16:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/rb

Eddie ! Eddie !! Eddie !!!

KYPack
12-24-2014, 08:36 AM
Four of the five were deserving. They should just do away with selecting a FB for the Pro Bowl. Most teams barely use a FB anymore. Lacy and Cobb were deserving but probably rightfully omitted. Peppers and Lang have been solid. Williams a bit better than Shields. Bakhtiari is a bit of a head scratcher. Linsley and Daniels deserved a mention. Burnett hasn't played at a Pro Bowl level, but he's been solid. He leads all NFL DBs in solo tackles and total tackles. Also kind of interesting to see the all around production of Clay and Peppers. J.J. Watt has 11 pass deflections. Peppers has 11. Matthews has 9. Out of the top 35 sackers (7+ sacks), no others have more than 5 pass deflections. Peppers is the only one with 2+ interceptions. Only five have even one--Clay being one. Peppers has the second most forced fumbles amongst the group.

Good numbers, Harve.

FB's and blocking TE's are evolving out of the modern NFL.

ThunderDan
12-24-2014, 08:51 AM

I mostly agree with this. The Pro Bowl is mostly about name recognition. Like the year that Jeff Saturday made the Pro Bowl and the Packers benched him during the season. Of those 5 I think Clay is the least deserving and I think Cobb got screwed. Kuhn may not be a superstar but he is one of the best FBs in the league (tough not to be when there are only a handful of true FBs in the league).

woodbuck27
12-24-2014, 09:00 AM
I mostly agree with this. The Pro Bowl is mostly about name recognition. Like the year that Jeff Saturday made the Pro Bowl and the Packers benched him during the season. Of those 5 I think Clay is the least deserving and I think Cobb got screwed. Kuhn may not be a superstar but he is one of the best FBs in the league (tough not to be when there are only a handful of true FBs in the league).

" Of those 5 I think Clay is the least deserving..." Thunderdan

I'm surprized ThunderDan that's your stance !

Do you disagree with Mike McCarthy who's saying that this season was Clay Matthews best?

ThunderDan
12-24-2014, 09:38 AM
" Of those 5 I think Clay is the least deserving..." Thunderdan

I'm surprized ThunderDan that's your stance !

Do you disagree with Mike McCarthy who's saying that this season was Clay Matthews best?

Why is that surprising? Clay has had a good season but hasn't jumped out as a Superstar to me this year. His production went up once he was moved to MLB. Clay had 2.5 sacks the first 8 weeks of the season and 5.5 the last three weeks.

Here is Clay's stat line for the first 8 games at OLB:
19 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 4 passes defensed, 1 INT and 2 forced fumbles

Clay's 7 games as MLB/OLB:
39 tackles, 7.5 sacks, 4 passes defensed, 0 INT and 0 forced fumbles

woodbuck27
12-24-2014, 10:52 AM
Why is that surprising? Clay has had a good season but hasn't jumped out as a Superstar to me this year. His production went up once he was moved to MLB. Clay had 2.5 sacks the first 8 weeks of the season and 5.5 the last three weeks.

Here is Clay's stat line for the first 8 games at OLB:
19 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 4 passes defensed, 1 INT and 2 forced fumbles

Clay's 7 games as MLB/OLB:
39 tackles, 7.5 sacks, 4 passes defensed, 0 INT and 0 forced fumbles

Mike McCarthy's assessment of Clay Matthews season (Article below). If I understand you? MM's praise of Clay Matthews is unwarranted based on Clay Matthews season as a whole.

Is that correct ThunderDan?

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-mike-mccarthy-says-clay-matthews-having-his-best-season-b99413138z1-286636371.html

Here's what I've seen. He's easily been the Packers most active and dominating defender. There's been some games he's clearly stood out and worked his craft all over the field. He's certainly one of the Packers best tacklers. He knows how to get to the ball....gets there.

HarveyWallbangers
12-24-2014, 11:55 AM

Clay deserves it. Kuhn has played 17% of the offensive snaps. The dude in Baltimore deserved it way more than Kuhn.

Zool
12-24-2014, 11:56 AM
Clay deserves it. Kuhn has played 17% of the offensive snaps. The dude in Baltimore deserved it way more than Kuhn.

Any other NFC teams that have a decent FB?

Bretsky
12-24-2014, 12:20 PM
Lot of people saying Beckham might already be the best wr in the game. I havent watched him, but i guess he looks crazy good

Beckam looks to be a superstar t
I'd take him over Cobb in GB w/o question

I don't mind Cobb not making it....seeing it's a contract year and all

vince
12-24-2014, 01:08 PM

:lol: Maybe on the playgrounds of New York but not in my neighborhood. Can you imaging driving down the lane and running into Sitton? Plus you gotta remember all the brothas underestimate Jordy... I bet none of those guys can shoot though.

sharpe1027
12-24-2014, 01:16 PM

There are over 80 rbs with a higher percentage.

vince
12-24-2014, 01:33 PM
Not saying Bakh isn't deserving of mention but I would say that Bulaga's been as good as Bakh. Bulaga's an elite RT and I hope Teddy can get him re-upped. Barclay is serviceable and a mauler but he's not Bulaga, particularly in pass pro holding up against elite rushers.

sharpe1027
12-24-2014, 03:11 PM

49ers.

HarveyWallbangers
12-24-2014, 10:26 PM

It doesn't really matter because the Pro Bowl is no longer NFC vs. AFC. Supposed to be the two best FBs in football.

Pugger
12-24-2014, 11:01 PM
Not saying Bakh isn't deserving of mention but I would say that Bulaga's been as good as Bakh. Bulaga's an elite RT and I hope Teddy can get him re-upped. Barclay is serviceable and a mauler but he's not Bulaga, particularly in pass pro holding up against elite rushers.

Just ask Mario Williams.

Patler
12-25-2014, 07:14 AM
It's tough with WRs. There are always a few who really stand out in a given year, and then a bunch just a notch below. If Cobb had been selected, it would have been justifiable, but on the other hand, it is difficult to identify an undeserving one of the eight who were selected. Emanuel Sanders, Odell Beckham, Golden Tate and probably a couple others are just as deserving as Cobb, but were not selected either.

HarveyWallbangers
12-25-2014, 11:52 AM
If Cobb had been selected, it would have been justifiable, but on the other hand, it is difficult to identify an undeserving one of the eight who were selected.

A.J. Green.

Patler
12-25-2014, 03:14 PM
A.J. Green.

... or Calvin Johnson. Statistically, they are the ones notably behind Cobb, and have stats similar to each other this year. But, each has missed three games. Having seen Johnson a lot, I have no problems with his election. Green, I know mostly by reputation, not personal observation; and my impression is that he is deserving, too.

Maybe neither deserves it this year based on availability.

woodbuck27
12-26-2014, 07:45 AM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-am/0ap3000000448957/Pro-Bowl-snubs

2015 Pro Bowl snubs.

ThunderDan
12-26-2014, 08:25 AM
Mike McCarthy's assessment of Clay Matthews season (Article below). If I understand you? MM's praise of Clay Matthews is unwarranted based on Clay Matthews season as a whole.

Is that correct ThunderDan?

Here's what I've seen. He's easily been the Packers most active and dominating defender. There's been some games he's clearly stood out and worked his craft all over the field. He's certainly one of the Packers best tacklers. He knows how to get to the ball....gets there.

I stand by my opinion of Clay this year. His first half of the year was below average and since his move to the inside his play has improved.

My opinion is based solely on someone watching Packer games on Sunday. I don't pretend to know as much as MM and TT (which certain members here pretend to know) and I don't break down the film on every player on every play like the coaches do.

MM is a fantastic coach and GB is lucky to have him. I certainly haven't seen the production out of Clay that a $10,900,000 OLB is supposed to have until the second half of the season.

denverYooper
12-26-2014, 09:06 AM
Clay's move inside was more about sealing some leaks they've had on the interior for the last 3 years and has improved the defense as a whole. His improved health probably has a lot to do with his improved production overall.

Patler
12-26-2014, 12:29 PM
I stand by my opinion of Clay this year. His first half of the year was below average and since his move to the inside his play has improved.

My opinion is based solely on someone watching Packer games on Sunday. I don't pretend to know as much as MM and TT (which certain members here pretend to know) and I don't break down the film on every player on every play like the coaches do.

MM is a fantastic coach and GB is lucky to have him. I certainly haven't seen the production out of Clay that a $10,900,000 OLB is supposed to have until the second half of the season.

I agree. I was disappointed in what I saw from him before the bye, especially the way some offenses took advantage of his aggressive up field moves.
As I recall, he started the season healthy, too, didn't he?

I wonder if moving him around has made it that much more difficult for offenses, maybe causing some confusion, giving him advantageous matchups that he didn't see early in the season when offenses were better able to plan for him.

woodbuck27
12-26-2014, 01:05 PM
Beckam looks to be a superstar t
I'd take him over Cobb in GB w/o question

I don't mind Cobb not making it....seeing it's a contract year and all

I'm sure he and his agent know what he's worth.

I hope that TT can get that signing done because if we lose him?!?

That's a huge setback.

woodbuck27
12-26-2014, 01:07 PM
I agree. I was disappointed in what I saw from him before the bye, especially the way some offenses took advantage of his aggressive up field moves.
As I recall, he started the season healthy, too, didn't he?

I wonder if moving him around has made it that much more difficult for offenses, maybe causing some confusion, giving him advantageous matchups that he didn't see early in the season when offenses were better able to plan for him.

His energy level (motor) throughout the games is terrific.

That man comes to play. He works his butt off.

Patler
12-26-2014, 04:17 PM
His energy level (motor) throughout the games is terrific.

That man comes to play. He works his butt off.

I have no dispute with that at all. It has almost seemed that the changes made after the bye have energized him even more (if that's possible).

woodbuck27
12-26-2014, 04:54 PM
I have no dispute with that at all. It has almost seemed that the changes made after the bye have energized him even more (if that's possible).

CM III's been reliable and that has to be inspirational.

woodbuck27
01-02-2015, 05:49 PM
It's tough with WRs. There are always a few who really stand out in a given year, and then a bunch just a notch below. If Cobb had been selected, it would have been justifiable, but on the other hand, it is difficult to identify an undeserving one of the eight who were selected. Emanuel Sanders, Odell Beckham, Golden Tate and probably a couple others are just as deserving as Cobb, but were not selected either.

http://www.advancedfootballanalytics.com/index.php/home/tools/vizualizations/position-leaders

It's very clear to me that Randall Cobb was the forgotten or snubbed man in Pro Bowl balloting for WR.

mraynrand
01-02-2015, 11:21 PM
I wouldn't mind if tons of Packers had chips on their shoulders for Pro Bowl snubs, loud neighbors, whatever. They need to be hostile to get where they want to go.

Joemailman
01-19-2015, 06:33 PM
Cobb and Shields headed to Pro Bowl. They will replace Dez Bryant and Darrelle Revis.

woodbuck27
01-19-2015, 06:43 PM
Cobb and Shields headed to Pro Bowl. They will replace Dez Bryant and Darrelle Revis.

I'm very happy for Randall Cobb. He certainly deserves this recognition.

This might be the last time we see Randall Cobb wearing a Packer helmet.

ThunderDan
01-19-2015, 06:50 PM

I bet Cobb won't go. He is between contracts and he isn't going to take a chance at getting hurt at the Pro Bowl.

Joemailman
01-19-2015, 06:51 PM
I'm very happy for Randall Cobb. He certainly deserves this recognition.

This might be the last time we see Randall Cobb wearing a Packer helmet.

TT paid the money to keep Shields. He won't let Cobb get away.

ThunderDan
01-19-2015, 06:52 PM
TT paid the money to keep Shields. He won't let Cobb get away.

No doubt, worse case scenario we tag him for next year.

Joemailman
01-19-2015, 06:57 PM
I bet Cobb won't go. He is between contracts and he isn't going to take a chance at getting hurt at the Pro Bowl.

Could also be why Dez Bryant isn't going although he did have a minor injury late in the season.