Daniels/D Jones/Peppers had some nice rushes

Duds
Brad Jones
Special teams
Ball security

pbmax
12-28-2014, 07:30 PM
Dud - Rodgers.

Injury prone and still cannot win close games or come from behind.

Stud - Stafford. Sure he's inaccurate, but he nearly brought his team back.

Joemailman
12-28-2014, 07:38 PM
Studs:

Won't look like much on stat sheet, but Richard Rodgers had some nice tough catches.

Offensive Line did a great job of protecting an immobile Rodgers.

denverYooper
12-28-2014, 07:45 PM
Studs:

Won't look like much on stat sheet, but Richard Rodgers had some nice tough catches.

+1 for Richard Rodgers. His third down catch after battling the LB the whole time was a ray of hope for a team that needs more red zone options.

Harlan Huckleby
12-28-2014, 07:47 PM
Studs:

I've really liked the offensive line all season. Rodgers had a key catch that gets broken up most of time.

Striker
12-28-2014, 07:52 PM
Studs
Rodgers - MVP. 'nuff said.

Lacy - Ran hard, the fumble sucked, but he had a good day vs. a good rushing defense.

O-line - Really has become a strength for the team.

Cobb/Nelson - Throwing short/intermediate routes and letting them accumulate YAC? What a concept. Too bad it took Rodgers' calf injury to figure it out.

Hyde - Nice to have a solid threat back there on returns.

Duds
Brad Jones - At least Jarrett Bush can contribute on special teams and occasionally makes plays when pressed into duty.

Special teams kicking blocking - The return blocking seems to be good. The kicking teams...not so much. That's going to kill us if they can't find a way to clean it up.

pbmax
12-28-2014, 08:04 PM
+1 for Richard Rodgers. His third down catch after battling the LB the whole time was a ray of hope for a team that needs more red zone options.

He needs to convert his body. He finds another half step and he will maul defenses short.

pbmax
12-28-2014, 08:05 PM
[

Duds
Brad Jones - At least Jarrett Bush can contribute on special teams and occasionally makes plays when pressed into duty.

Jones lead the team in Special Teams tackles as of a few weeks ago.

Joemailman
12-28-2014, 08:06 PM
He needs to convert his body. He finds another half step and he will maul defenses short.

I think this is what will happen. He's playing about 15 pounds heavier than he played last year. I'm guessing a lot of that extra weight is not good weight.

Maxie the Taxi
12-28-2014, 08:25 PM
I'm not going to say Stubby was a dud this game, but he wasn't a stud either. He had his team ready to play, granted, but it was a home game. I just wish he'd give up calling the plays. Then he'd be able to get his head in the overall game more. Forgoing the field goal early was OK (although his playcalling down there was suspect IMO), but attempting the 52 yarder later in the game wasn't good.

Lions were a different team when they had field position. He shoulda punted and pinned them deep in their own territory.

Also, the onsides punt attempt...Maybe if Stubby's head was not buried in that playcard he could have anticipated what the Lion's would do and kicked Slocum in the ass.

King Friday
12-28-2014, 08:30 PM
Also, the onsides punt attempt...Maybe if Stubby's head was not buried in that playcard he could have anticipated what the Lion's would do and kicked Slocum in the ass.

Who wouldn't know that the Lions would at least TRY to get the ball back there? They needed to score 2 TDs in about 5 min. It would be pointless to just kick the ball to the Packers deep. I was actually thinking the kick would be a lower pooch...just enough to get 10 yards and let the Lions players get that far downfield...but not enough to where the other team would think to fair catch. You would think someone would realize they could fair catch a moonshot.

Maxie the Taxi
12-28-2014, 08:33 PM
Who wouldn't know that the Lions would at least TRY to get the ball back there? They needed to score 2 TDs in about 5 min. It would be pointless to just kick the ball to the Packers deep. I was actually thinking the kick would be a lower pooch...just enough to get 10 yards and let the Lions players get that far downfield...but not enough to where the other team would think to fair catch. You would think someone would realize they could fair catch a moonshot.

It could me by surprise...AND I didn't know the rules that governed it. But then I'm not a Head Coach or Special Teams Coach. One of them should have damn well known. But Slocum's probably too stupid and, like I said, Stubby got his head up his playbook.

woodbuck27
12-28-2014, 08:41 PM
Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT

A. Rodgers 17/22 226 2 0
M. Flynn 1/1 6 0 0

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG

E. Lacy 26 100 0 22

Receiving REC YDS TD LG

J. Nelson 6 86 0 22

R. Cobb 4 80 2 34

R. Rodgers 5 40 0 18

E. Lacy 3 26 0 15

Studs:

A. Rodgers and R. Cobb and Eddie Lacy....Jordy Nelson and R. Rodgers played well.

** Micah Hyde and his 56 Yard Punt return for a TD !

The Defense played good again.

Duds:

ST's again:

** Ohh sure but:

Crosby missed his only FG attempt. The punting was well... Tim Masthay had a 27 yard average for 3 punts.

King Friday
12-28-2014, 08:41 PM
Studs

The MVP...even Favre would be proud of this effort.
Packer OL...after Rodgers came back, he was barely touched back there.
Lacy...the fumble hurt, but they guy would not go down to any of the first 3 defenders who grabbed him.
Nelson...most yardage for a Packers receiver ever in a season.
Cobb...was the impact in space that Green Bay needed against Detroit. Thompson is going to have to pay the man.
Team defense...no single player stood out, but a lot of guys made a big play here or there. They often came up big when they needed to in the 2nd half.

Duds

Slocum...easily the worst special teams coach in the NFL. I could find a better option in a mental ward.
Brad Jones...easily the worst LB in the NFL. Again, I could find a better option from a group of guys on crutches.
Jim Caldwell...down 10 points with time almost running out in the shadow of his own end zone, he has his team run another play at the 5 second mark for some dumb reason. Could you imagine if someone got hurt on that play when both teams are playoff bound? Thank God whoever caught the 2 yard pass had far more sense than anyone else on the Lions and just ran out of bounds. Really, really, really dumb.

call_me_ishmael
12-29-2014, 12:37 AM
I reckon I did not hear the name Davante Adams at all today. That can't happen in the playoffs.

channtheman
12-29-2014, 02:59 AM
I reckon I did not hear the name Davante Adams at all today. That can't happen in the playoffs.

He and Boykin have been proving to be Mr. Irrelevants this season. It did take some like James Jones a few years to stop dropping passes all the time, but starting with the end of the Patriots game when Boykin dropped the game sealing TD he's had a few more drops, and Boykin has sucked all year. The slant TD to Cobb today would have been either a drop or a pick due to a bad route by the Adams/Boykin combo.

Tyrion Lannister
12-29-2014, 04:11 AM
Upon reviewing this game on NFL Shortcuts....

Hoes:

Barrington - Gave up a few passes and was out of position on a few runs...Blitzed with decent velocity, though.

Fat Mac - Why was Lacy still in the game on the Packers' last drive?...Game was pretty much over..Lacy absorbed a ferocious hit before the Packers punted...Coulda caused a head injury...Playcalling on failed goalline drive was predictable.

Suh - What a thug...This guy probably has "Thug Life" tattooed on his abs.

Pimps:

Cobb - Caught a bunch of bullets.

Rodgers - Showed toughness of a rugby playa...Don't follow rugby but read somewhere that those guys play through hamstring pulls, ankle sprains, concussions and bones sticking out of body, etc...Made a couple of though catches.

Lacy - Smashmouth as fuck...Almost a hoe for fumble...Fumbles are simply unacceptable, unless the Packers D is creating them.

Joe and Troy - Not sure why folks hate these 2...They're Fox's #1 team for a reason: They're great...When Fox showed Rodgers pulling some guy's beard, they were like, Rodgers pulled the beard of THAT GUY...lol, reminds me of an episode of Futurama.

Peppers - Committed a bunch of pressures.

Mr. Hyde - Nice punt-6, although its probably 50-50 Sheilds gets called for illegal block behind da back.

Burnett - Other than a missed tackle, this guy looked like Sharper in his prime.

oldbutnotdeadyet
12-29-2014, 06:46 AM
I thought about a coveted 'double stud' for tj but he failed to take a swing at suh. I know that would have caused a penalty, he would have got ejected, and may have lost the game, but it still was the right thing to do.

mraynrand
12-29-2014, 07:50 AM
Upon reviewing this game on NFL Shortcuts....

Sunday package kinda expensive for a burger flipper, no? :)

Fosco33
12-29-2014, 09:50 AM
Special teams has been 'ehh' lately. Particularly blocked set kicks and punting.

Carolina_Packer
12-29-2014, 10:09 AM
I'm sure they'll get that "cleaned up", but I'm not sure if we should use big or small letters. :-) I have a feeling that if one of those foul ups costs the Packers a game in the playoffs, he'll have to consider replacing Slocum if you got 'em.

Packers4Glory
12-29-2014, 10:12 AM
special teams will likely be the downfall of this team's super bowl hopes. Just terrible in practically every phase. that free kick fiasco was just the icing on the cake that illustrates how woefully unprepared that unit is because the coach is just the worst.

King Friday
12-29-2014, 10:32 AM
special teams will likely be the downfall of this team's super bowl hopes. Just terrible in practically every phase. that free kick fiasco was just the icing on the cake that illustrates how woefully unprepared that unit is because the coach is just the worst.

I tend to agree. This is some of the worst special teams play I have ever seen. I almost expect at least one kick a game to be blocked at this point. The gaffes in the last two kicks of the game yesterday were horrific. Not being able to fair catch a moonshot is unacceptable...and we nearly lost the traditional onside kick as well.

Teams should just always onside kick against us. They are probably guaranteed to recover almost half the time.

mraynrand
12-29-2014, 11:00 AM

except of course for the return TD, kickoff and punt coverage. :roll:

Saw Pittsburgh last night with 9 guys on the field to cover a punt. LOL, special teams...

Harlan Huckleby
12-29-2014, 11:02 AM
I heard somewhere that special teams are ragged all around the league this year. Not sure what's going on. I wonder if larger rosters would provide more continuity.

Packers4Glory
12-29-2014, 11:16 AM
except of course for the return TD, kickoff and punt coverage. :roll:

Saw Pittsburgh last night with 9 guys on the field to cover a punt. LOL, special teams...

Hyde has been good. how bout the KO coverage on the 41yard return after we scored and stole back the momentum??? Not sure how you equate 3 punts w/ 1 return as something to hang your hat on? in fact the punt was shanked. The penalty against the lions on that punt helped. :roll: indeed.

Maxie the Taxi
12-29-2014, 11:20 AM
I tend to agree. This is some of the worst special teams play I have ever seen. I almost expect at least one kick a game to be blocked at this point. The gaffes in the last two kicks of the game yesterday were horrific. Not being able to fair catch a moonshot is unacceptable...and we nearly lost the traditional onside kick as well.

Teams should just always onside kick against us. They are probably guaranteed to recover almost half the time.

I still don't understand the rule applying to that moonshot... After a safety, do kickoff rules apply? Do punt rules apply? Or do some combination of both?

mraynrand
12-29-2014, 11:32 AM
Hyde has been good. how bout the KO coverage on the 41yard return after we scored and stole back the momentum??? Not sure how you equate 3 punts w/ 1 return as something to hang your hat on? in fact the punt was shanked. The penalty against the lions on that punt helped. :roll: indeed.

Hyde wasn't just good on his return, the blocking overall was excellent.
On the shanked punt, without the penalty, the starting line was the 20. That's not good, but not terrible either.
On the 41 yard return, there was a block in the back not called. I think it made a difference.
If you're looking to me as someone who think the Packer's STs are great, I'm not your guy. But they're not "Just terrible in practically every phase"

mraynrand
12-29-2014, 11:36 AM
I still don't understand the rule applying to that moonshot... After a safety, do kickoff rules apply? Do punt rules apply? Or do some combination of both?

Kickoffs and kicks after safeties are the two "Free kicks" and the same free kick rules apply - must go ten yards or touch opposition before kicking team can recover.

Maxie the Taxi
12-29-2014, 11:41 AM
Kickoffs and kicks after safeties are the two "Free kicks" and the same free kick rules apply - must go ten yards or touch opposition before kicking team can recover.

So, fair catch is allowed? And proper space must be given to allow player to make the fair catch? And if fair catch is made, can receiving team attempt an uncontested field goal from the spot of the catch?

Patler
12-29-2014, 11:41 AM
I heard somewhere that special teams are ragged all around the league this year. Not sure what's going on. I wonder if larger rosters would provide more continuity.

I read that coaches are attributing it to the new limitations on practices. STs are getting less dedicated practice time, especially in pads, because coaches want to use the time on offense and defense. Also less time for coaches to work with the younger players, who often comprise much of the STs.

mraynrand
12-29-2014, 11:58 AM
So, fair catch is allowed? And proper space must be given to allow player to make the fair catch? And if fair catch is made, can receiving team attempt an uncontested field goal from the spot of the catch?

Yes to all. The difference is the kick. Onside kick hits the ground first and that changes everything (no fair catch available of course, but offense tips their hand). The kicker on the free kick after the safety can also choose to kickoff in traditional form without a tee (I assume someone would have to hold it for him).

Several Packers signaled fair catch, and would have been afforded the protections of a fair catch (because the ball didn't hit the ground first) but they didn't get to the ball and so it is a live ball, just like any kickoff.

Maxie the Taxi
12-29-2014, 12:02 PM
Yes to all. The difference is the kick. Onside kick hits the ground first and that changes everything (no fair catch available of course, but offense tips their hand). The kicker on the free kick after the safety can also choose to kickoff in traditional form without a tee (I assume someone would have to hold it for him).

Several Packers signaled fair catch, and would have been afforded the protections of a fair catch (because the ball didn't hit the ground first) but they didn't get to the ball and so it is a live ball, just like any kickoff.

Man, what a screwed up play yesterday. It almost seemed that Cobb was impeded getting to the ball. I can't remember yard marker, but if he could have fair caught it, Crosby would have had a free kick which would have iced the game.

I wonder if any of our players were aware of the rules. Or even the refs, for that matter.

mraynrand
12-29-2014, 12:06 PM
Man, what a screwed up play yesterday. It almost seemed that Cobb was impeded getting to the ball. I can't remember yard marker, but if he could have fair caught it, Crosby would have had a free kick which would have iced the game.

I wonder if any of our players were aware of the rules. Or even the refs, for that matter.

Refs definitely knew what was going on. Packers were confused, especially T.Will. If T. Will had called for a fair catch, there probably would have been a penalty for interference. Nelson and Cobb knew what was up, but they were too far away. I think Cobb reacted too slow, but as you say, there was a lot of trash in his way. Detroit played it really well. Kick the ball really high and start blocking like crazy - get that ball to hit the ground.

denverYooper
12-29-2014, 12:12 PM
Refs definitely knew what was going on. Packers were confused, especially T.Will. If T. Will had called for a fair catch, there probably would have been a penalty for interference. Nelson and Cobb knew what was up, but they were too far away. I think Cobb reacted too slow, but as you say, there was a lot of trash in his way. Detroit played it really well. Kick the ball really high and start blocking like crazy - get that ball to hit the ground.

In the end, it became a "teachable moment" instead of a fatal gaffe.

Maxie the Taxi
12-29-2014, 12:16 PM
I remember watching a game years ago, during the glory years. Lombardi had his kick returner fair catch a short kickoff. Hornung then kicked a free kick and scored a field goal...I believe to win the game. Come to think of it, that might have been after a safety. ...Damn, my memory is going to shit. :bang:

Maxie the Taxi
12-29-2014, 12:24 PM
According to NFL Game Summary (PDF):

S.Martin kicks 28 yards from DET 20 to DET 48. R.Cobb MUFFS catch, RECOVERED by DET-C.Vaughn at GB 44. C.Vaughn to GB 44 for no gain (J.Nelson).

Two things:
1) Apparently, Cobb's fair catch signal was recognized, else how could he muff it? But then interference with the catch should have been called;
2) If Cobb could have caught the ball, Crosby could have tried an uncontested free kick which, if successful, could have won the game for sure.

pbmax
12-29-2014, 12:26 PM
I remember watching a game years ago, during the glory years. Lombardi had his kick returner fair catch a short kickoff. Hornung then kicked a free kick and scored a field goal...I believe to win the game. Come to think of it, that might have been after a safety. ...Damn, my memory is going to shit. :bang:

In this case the Packers would have run the ball or kneeled.

The great benefit to the free kick/fair catch is that you can call a fair catch after the kick and get to line up a FG try without the clocking running at all.

mraynrand
12-29-2014, 12:27 PM
1) Apparently, Cobb's fair catch signal was recognized, else how could he muff it? But then interference with the catch should have been called;

he didn't reach the ball. there was 'interference' but not illegal (penalty) interference. Just a lot of guys in the way.

2) If Cobb could have caught the ball, Crosby could have tried an uncontested free kick which, if successful, could have won the game for sure.

Yep, but he probably would have missed it

Patler
12-29-2014, 12:28 PM

Well, it was only a few years ago that Crosby tried a free kick at the end of the half following a fair catch on a punt. His 69 yard attempt at Lambeau in December was dead center, and just barely short.

Maxie the Taxi
12-29-2014, 12:30 PM
In this case the Packers would have run the ball or kneeled.

The great benefit to the free kick/fair catch is that you can call a fair catch after the kick and get to line up a FG try without the clocking running at all.

On the other hand, a free kick from the 48 (high probability of a make since it's uncontested) would make the game a three possession game.

mraynrand
12-29-2014, 12:30 PM
Well, it was only a few years ago that Crosby tried a free kick at the end of the half following a fair catch on a punt. His 69 yard attempt at Lambeau in December was dead center, and just barely short.

that was the 0-16 game against Detroit. That kick, if made, would have been a bright spot in a dismal end to that season.

Maxie the Taxi
12-29-2014, 12:33 PM

See, I learn something new everyday. I didn't know you could free kick after fair catching a PUNT. Very interesting!

Packers4Glory
12-29-2014, 12:50 PM
Hyde wasn't just good on his return, the blocking overall was excellent.
On the shanked punt, without the penalty, the starting line was the 20. That's not good, but not terrible either.
On the 41 yard return, there was a block in the back not called. I think it made a difference.
If you're looking to me as someone who think the Packer's STs are great, I'm not your guy. But they're not "Just terrible in practically every phase" what? They are pretty much terrible at every phase of special teams. The return game is the only phase of special teams that you can point to as being "ok."

As a sum of it's parts, the special teams units are horrendous. There is no amount of sugar coating anyone can do to intelligently argue against it.

mraynrand
12-29-2014, 12:55 PM
what? They are pretty much terrible at every phase of special teams. The return game is the only phase of special teams that you can point to as being "ok."

As a sum of it's parts, the special teams units are horrendous. There is no amount of sugar coating anyone can do to intelligently argue against it.

“As it is spoken, so shall it be!”

hoosier
12-29-2014, 01:00 PM
Punt returns and punt return coverage have been good. They need to counter the block kick trend by finding the reincarnation of Chester Marcol, a kicker who knows what to do when the ball ends up in his stomach.

Patler
12-29-2014, 01:17 PM

that was the 0-16 game against Detroit. That kick, if made, would have been a bright spot in a dismal end to that season.

I have wondered ever since, if he had made the kick, would it have been considered the new record for longest field goal? Kind of seems like it should be it's own category, even though it would have had the result of a field goal.

mraynrand
12-29-2014, 01:27 PM
I have wondered ever since, if he had made the kick, would it have been considered the new record for longest field goal? Kind of seems like it should be it's own category, even though it would have had the result of a field goal.

Asterisk. I imagine it would go like this:

Rich Gannon: "Sebastian Janikowski is lining up for a a 65 yard field goal attempt, which would be the longest ever."
Kevin Harlan: "The longest from a hold - there was that 69 yard Crosby kick back in 2008, but that was a free kick."
Rich Gannon: "OK, thanks for that clarification Kevin. So there goes all my excitement."

Cheesehead Craig
12-29-2014, 02:33 PM
special teams will likely be the downfall of this team's super bowl hopes.

Or the defense reverting to their early season form...
Or the offense having a bad day...

pbmax
12-29-2014, 02:50 PM
Asterisk. I imagine it would go like this:

Rich Gannon: "Sebastian Janikowski is lining up for a a 65 yard field goal attempt, which would be the longest ever."
Kevin Harlan: "The longest from a hold - there was that 69 yard Crosby kick back in 2008, but that was a free kick."
Rich Gannon: "OK, thanks for that clarification Kevin. So there goes all my excitement."

FIRST TAKE SET

Skip Bayless: "Today's FG kickers can't hold the jock strap of kickers in the past. Artificial Turf, Domes, K balls, improvement in shoe technology all make today's accomplishments pale in comparison to the hero kickers of yesterday. Give me Roy Gerela any day of the week plus Sunday."

'Screamin' Stephen A. Smith: "Roy Gerela? How old are you? My father once told me that Chuck Noll once punted from the 28 yard line rather than trust Gerela to kick a 40+ yard FG! You cannot be serious that the best of all time include kickers who run away scared over 40 yards! Its ridiculous!"

Skip Bayless: "Coach Noll and his teammates all loved Roy like a brother. Out of that sense of brotherhood, they would have willed Roy 6 more yards in field position. They WOULD! I believe that with all my tiny, frozen heart."

Maxie the Taxi
12-29-2014, 10:27 PM
I watched the free kick (punt) after the safety again and the culprit was clearly Jarrett Boykin. He and Brad Jones were lined up directly opposite the punter. (Why Brad Jones is lined up with the hands team I don't know.) Boykin was tracking the ball from the time the ball left the punter's foot. He should have easily had time to camp under the punt and wave for a fair catch. Problem is, he never gave the fair catch signal and wound up misjudging the ball, lunging for it at the last minute and probably touching it. It looked like he had a clear, unimpeded path to the ball. It also looked like he didn't have a clue what to do in that situation. So a co-culprit might be Slocum as well.

Bretsky
12-29-2014, 10:47 PM
Jones lead the team in Special Teams tackles as of a few weeks ago.

Kick yourself in the nads for saying something positive about that clown

Pugger
12-29-2014, 11:48 PM
Studs:

And they opened up holes for Lacy against the #1 rush D in the league.

Pugger
12-29-2014, 11:53 PM
Studs

The MVP...even Favre would be proud of this effort.
Packer OL...after Rodgers came back, he was barely touched back there.
Lacy...the fumble hurt, but they guy would not go down to any of the first 3 defenders who grabbed him.
Nelson...most yardage for a Packers receiver ever in a season.
Cobb...was the impact in space that Green Bay needed against Detroit. Thompson is going to have to pay the man.
Team defense...no single player stood out, but a lot of guys made a big play here or there. They often came up big when they needed to in the 2nd half.

Duds

Slocum...easily the worst special teams coach in the NFL. I could find a better option in a mental ward.
Brad Jones...easily the worst LB in the NFL. Again, I could find a better option from a group of guys on crutches.
Jim Caldwell...down 10 points with time almost running out in the shadow of his own end zone, he has his team run another play at the 5 second mark for some dumb reason. Could you imagine if someone got hurt on that play when both teams are playoff bound? Thank God whoever caught the 2 yard pass had far more sense than anyone else on the Lions and just ran out of bounds. Really, really, really dumb.

And we bitch about McCarthy? Caldwell's first head scratcher was going for it on 4th and TEN in the first half of the game around the 40 yard line. Then he challenges the down by contact play after the ball came out of Lacy's hands while Eddie was on the ground? Pure genius I tell ya.

Pugger
12-29-2014, 11:57 PM

I think both our players and the refs were surprised. I'm surprised this tactic isn't used more in this situation.

Pugger
12-30-2014, 12:01 AM
FIRST TAKE SET

Skip Bayless: "Today's FG kickers can't hold the jock strap of kickers in the past. Artificial Turf, Domes, K balls, improvement in shoe technology all make today's accomplishments pale in comparison to the hero kickers of yesterday. Give me Roy Gerela any day of the week plus Sunday."

'Screamin' Stephen A. Smith: "Roy Gerela? How old are you? My father once told me that Chuck Noll once punted from the 28 yard line rather than trust Gerela to kick a 40+ yard FG! You cannot be serious that the best of all time include kickers who run away scared over 40 yards! Its ridiculous!"

Skip Bayless: "Coach Noll and his teammates all loved Roy like a brother. Out of that sense of brotherhood, they would have willed Roy 6 more yards in field position. They WOULD! I believe that with all my tiny, frozen heart."

I wouldn't waste precious time watching Skip Clueless and that stupid show.

mraynrand
12-30-2014, 07:56 AM
I watched the free kick (punt) after the safety again and the culprit was clearly Jarrett Boykin. He and Brad Jones were lined up directly opposite the punter. (Why Brad Jones is lined up with the hands team I don't know.) Boykin was tracking the ball from the time the ball left the punter's foot. He should have easily had time to camp under the punt and wave for a fair catch. Problem is, he never gave the fair catch signal and wound up misjudging the ball, lunging for it at the last minute and probably touching it. It looked like he had a clear, unimpeded path to the ball. It also looked like he didn't have a clue what to do in that situation. So a co-culprit might be Slocum as well.

I don't expect anything from Jones, but both Boykin and T.Will were right there and let it drop. Twill had the best look, because he was moving forward. Why he let it hit the ground, I have no idea. Probably neither did he. That's a Slocum fail. That might have been a good spot for a TO to make sure everyone knew what was going on. That's on Stubby and all the coaches as well as the players.

Maxie the Taxi
12-30-2014, 09:27 AM
I don't expect anything from Jones, but both Boykin and T.Will were right there and let it drop. Twill had the best look, because he was moving forward. Why he let it hit the ground, I have no idea. Probably neither did he. That's a Slocum fail. That might have been a good spot for a TO to make sure everyone knew what was going on. That's on Stubby and all the coaches as well as the players.

Exactly. Stubby's mind was probably occupied by which play he was going to call after GB got the ball. IMO, it's why he should delegate playcalling and concentrate on time and game management.

This failure seems like a small thing, but small failures like this result in losses in the playoffs.

ThunderDan
12-30-2014, 09:31 AM
Exactly. Stubby's mind was probably occupied by which play he was going to call after GB got the ball. IMO, it's why he should delegate playcalling and concentrate on time and game management.

This failure seems like a small thing, but small failures like this result in losses in the playoffs.

MM should not delegate play calling. What he should do is can Slocum's ass!!!!

Slocum has one job and one job only. That they can't figure out a free kick after a safety is stupid and shows the ST Coordinator needs to go.

Maxie the Taxi
12-30-2014, 09:36 AM
MM should not delegate play calling. What he should do is can Slocum's ass!!!!

Slocum has one job and one job only. That they can't figure out a free kick after a safety is stupid and shows the ST Coordinator needs to go.

If Stubby is such a genius playcaller, then he should hire an assistant to do nothing but time and game management. Maybe a Strategy Czar.:-)

The Shadow
12-30-2014, 09:38 AM
Memo To McCarthy: Please, no more empty backfield sets when your team in on the 1 yard line - and you have a battering ram like Lacy available.

denverYooper
12-30-2014, 09:44 AM
Memo To McCarthy: Please, no more empty backfield sets when your team in on the 1 yard line - and you have a battering ram like Lacy available.

LOL. Some of his goal line playcalls have been pretty awkward.

woodbuck27
12-30-2014, 09:47 AM

Mike McCarthy got carried away there.

MM wanted to put the exclamation mark on Aaron Rodgers NFL MVP.

pbmax
12-30-2014, 09:55 AM
Kick yourself in the nads for saying something positive about that clown

I'll leave the self abuse to Brad, thank you.

pbmax
12-30-2014, 09:58 AM
Jones, Hawk and a couple of other mobile non-skill guys are on the hands team to run interference. Their job is to knock the head off the guy running headlong into the scrum trying to recover the ball. They are the wedge of an onside kick.

Carolina_Packer
12-30-2014, 09:58 AM
I think both our players and the refs were surprised. I'm surprised this tactic isn't used more in this situation.

Here's a good example/explanation of it: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-am/0ap2000000251446/Fair-catch-free-kick-huh Apparently it has its origins in rugby. I wonder if Slocum knows that rule. You'd think they go over all those scenarios. The Lions obviously tried to sky a free kick short to create a scrum. The Packers were obviously unprepared (sigh) for this situation. They needed to make sure to have designated hands guys at each level/line and on each side of the field to call for a fair catch, instead of the keystone cops drill we got the other night. It would have been so cool if MM was aware of this and took a shot at a field goal. It wouldn't have been blocked at least! :-) The only down-side would be if Crosby misses it becomes like a kick-off, so you risk giving the ball back, which as it turns out is what the Packers ended up doing anyway.

pbmax
12-30-2014, 09:59 AM
If Stubby is such a genius playcaller, then he should hire an assistant to do nothing but time and game management. Maybe a Strategy Czar.:-)

I can agree with this.

But also use Slocum's salary.

Maxie the Taxi
12-30-2014, 10:36 AM
I can agree with this.

But also use Slocum's salary.

That goes without saying. LOL

3irty1
12-30-2014, 10:46 AM

I've wondered before if that is a separate persons job. If its not it should be for every team.

Bossman641
12-30-2014, 11:00 AM
Does anyone know the rules on the Lions onside attempt? Could numerous players have waved for a fair catch? Could the Lions have slammed into any players not signaling fair catch in an attempt to disrupt the catch?

I'm not sure I have ever seen that play before.

Maxie the Taxi
12-30-2014, 11:02 AM
Does anyone know the rules on the Lions onside attempt? Could numerous players have waved for a fair catch? Could the Lions have slammed into any players not signaling fair catch in an attempt to disrupt the catch?

I'm not sure I have ever seen that play before.

See post #67 above by Carolina Packer.

mraynrand
12-30-2014, 11:25 AM

Who was the guy Mike Sherman hired to oversee replays and inform him on whether to challenge? It was a former HC, no?

Guiness
12-30-2014, 11:39 AM
Who was the guy Mike Sherman hired to oversee replays and inform him on whether to challenge? It was a former HC, no?

Don't know about Sherman, but Caldwell (rightfully so, it seems) used to have one

When Caldwell was the head coach of the Colts, Indianapolis hired former Ohio State head coach Jim Tressel solely to serve as an advisor on instant replay challenges.

mraynrand
12-30-2014, 11:49 AM
Don't know about Sherman, but Caldwell (rightfully so, it seems) used to have one

When Caldwell was the head coach of the Colts, Indianapolis hired former Ohio State head coach Jim Tressel solely to serve as an advisor on instant replay challenges.

Sure, but that was kinda like "Work release" or a halfway house to ease Tressel out of football prison and back into polite society.

pbmax
12-30-2014, 12:50 PM

I want to agree, but Lacy, lately, hasn't been getting anything done in the double red zone (inside the 10). A lot of penetration has bothered him.

pbmax
12-30-2014, 12:53 PM
Sure, but that was kinda like "Work release" or a halfway house to ease Tressel out of football prison and back into polite society.

Vince Tobin?

denverYooper
12-30-2014, 01:11 PM
I want to agree, but Lacy, lately, hasn't been getting anything done in the double red zone (inside the 10). A lot of penetration has bothered him.

Must... resist...