PDA

View Full Version : The Calf

Harlan Huckleby
12-30-2014, 12:20 AM
Is it possible that Rodger's injury could linger on for a month?

Could Packers win with Rodgers a little hobbled?

Patler
12-30-2014, 12:41 AM
Dr. Jung, a foot and ankle surgeon at Kerlan-Jobe Orthopedic said it could take 6-8 weeks for full recovery, IF he doesn't re-injure it.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2014/12/29/aaron-rodgers-calf-unlikely-full-strength-playoffs/21028483/

HarveyWallbangers
12-30-2014, 02:01 AM
Very concerning. I like our chances with a healthy Rodgers. I think a hobbled Rodgers would likely end our chances. If we have any chance to beat Seattle in Seattle, we need Rodgers to play like he did at Atlanta during the Super Bowl run--that's if we got past Dallas.

Tyrion Lannister
12-30-2014, 05:55 AM
Very concerning. I like our chances with a healthy Rodgers. I think a hobbled Rodgers would likely end our chances. If we have any chance to beat Seattle in Seattle, we need Rodgers to play like he did at Atlanta during the Super Bowl run--that's if we got past Dallas.

Not concerned, not with the bye coming up. Time heals all wounds, including a calf injury.

Even if the calf is not 100%, Rodgers needs not run like Kap. Calf should be healed enough for Rodgers to elude defenders behind the LOS.

Rodgers' golden arm, not his calf, will determine the Packers' fate. The arm's the thing to uncover the conscience of the king.

denverYooper
12-30-2014, 09:35 AM

I don't know about this. It depends on how hobbled he is. I'm halfway thinking that Rodgers injury has forced him to play the way that he needs to to beat good defenses: less touchdown-to-checkdown looks, more take-what-they-give-you. More screens, quick hits, etc with some medium stuff thrown in and shots on occasion. It's interesting to see that he's been really quite effective without going to so many verticals and second reaction plays.

On the other hand, there are many times when his ability to extend plays on 3rd down results in conversions, amazing plays, etc.

Guiness
12-30-2014, 10:10 AM
What about the sneak for a TD? Can't believe they called Rodger's number for that, I wonder if he did that himself.

Bossman641
12-30-2014, 10:12 AM
What about the sneak for a TD? Can't believe they called Rodger's number for that, I wonder if he did that himself.

He called his own number

pbmax
12-30-2014, 10:12 AM
Steve 'Homer' True made a rare, insightful point yesterday that the injury in New Orleans might have shown Rodgers that there is a different way to play QB. Healthy, he has no reason to, but injured he might have to.

Stay in the pocket and make like Tom Brady or late-era Favre with more impulse control.

The problem with this is, like Buffalo, Seattle is going single-safety and attacking the short stuff. So he will likely need to buy time to throw deep before the Super Bowl.

pbmax
12-30-2014, 10:13 AM

He almost fell down when he went forward. He twisted in but his knee almost touched down.

Guiness
12-30-2014, 10:33 AM
He almost fell down when he went forward. He twisted in but his knee almost touched down.

I'll have to re-watch that. Was watching the game taped, but got yelled at for re-winding a couple of earlier plays so I'll do it when no one else is around!

King Friday
12-30-2014, 10:37 AM
The calf won't affect him in the pocket.

It will limit his mobility. The Packers can counter that with their run game. Rodgers will need to throw the ball away sometimes. It is a good lesson for him to learn...he's not getting younger and his legs won't be good enough to escape with for too much longer.

If mobility doesn't stop Manning and Brady from winning...why should it stop Rodgers?

HarveyWallbangers
12-30-2014, 04:29 PM
Little mobility for one half. I doubt it works in three games against top notch opponents. Rodgers needs to be healthy for this run.

woodbuck27
12-30-2014, 04:40 PM
This is a legit concern because he may have limited mobility and that's a huge part of what Aaron Rodgers is.

I wonder if more regular massage might help?

Increase blood flow to speed up healing somewhat?

Harlan Huckleby
12-30-2014, 04:43 PM
I wonder if more regular massage might help?

Increase blood flow

I'm gonna stop you there, this is getting a little creepy. "woody", indeed.

Joemailman
12-30-2014, 05:20 PM
Little mobility for one half. I doubt it works in three games against top notch opponents. Rodgers needs to be healthy for this run.

He needs to watch some film of Brady and Manning to see how they do it.

denverYooper
12-30-2014, 05:31 PM
He needs to watch some film of Brady and Manning to see how they do it.

He can do it the same way they do it... because he's just as good at processing a defense. His arm is better at this point.

His mobility gives him an extra dimension that those guys don't have but there's a good argument to be made that there is sometimes a cost to his willingness to extend plays.

King Friday
12-30-2014, 05:47 PM
I doubt it works in three games against top notch opponents.

Not with McCarthy's regular game plan. We are going to need to use the run game more to pacify the opposing pass rush. Based on Sunday's game, our run game should be able to accomplish that against nearly anyone.

Tyrion Lannister
12-30-2014, 06:06 PM
I'm gonna stop you there, this is getting a little creepy. "woody", indeed.

I dunno if this is funny, but here's a joke:

A male cow goes into a bar and buys a female cow a drink...and another and another and another, but not enough to get the female cow passed-out drunk (the male cow ain't no rapist). Afterward, the female cow agrees to go with the male cow back to his barn. In the barn, the male cow gets lucky and hits a home run, consensually. The male cow plants his glorious seed inside the female cow. Weeks later, the female cow gives birth to?....

A calf....To quote texaspackerbacker, hahahahaha

http://calfdoctor.com/w/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/calf.jpg

gbgary
12-30-2014, 06:12 PM
http://imaginarymuseum.org/EUFL/Moses2.jpg

where's your messiah noooowww?

red
12-30-2014, 09:11 PM
So he said today on his radio show that he thought he "poped" his achillies Sunday, that's why he stayed down so long.

Guess we dodged a bullet there

ThunderDan
12-30-2014, 10:29 PM

I don't know. In 2010 the O-line was a tire fire with the long routes GB ran. MM changed his play calling and went to a more traditional WCO. I like the quicker routes and relying on YAC.

mraynrand
12-30-2014, 10:34 PM
So he said today on his radio show that he thought he "poped" his achillies Sunday, that's why he stayed down so long.

Get healthy, my son.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01767/the-pope_1767102c.jpg

Get healthy.

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/51/files/2013/04/6929404.jpg

pbmax
12-31-2014, 12:28 AM
He also said its two distinct injuries to the calf. Which actually might be better for healing as a reinsure might take longer overall and the first injury seems to have survived the Lions game intact.

However, if his calf is just going to shred itself over the next month, might make no difference at all.

Packers4Glory
12-31-2014, 09:38 AM
He needs enough mobility to be able to move around and extend plays when needed. We can't operate strictly out of the gun. he has to be able to scramble for 1st downs when it's open. and of course he has to be healthy enough to to re-injure it should he have to run.

Harlan Huckleby
12-31-2014, 10:29 AM
This injury could easily spoil Packers' playoff hopes. We'll see. I shake my fist at God.

mraynrand
12-31-2014, 10:30 AM
This injury could easily spoil Packers' playoff hopes. We'll see. I shake my fist at God.

That's better than making deals with Satan. You're making progress.

Bretsky
12-31-2014, 06:14 PM
I think we can beat Dallas if he's less than 100%

Seattle need to be mobile to have the 25% chance of winning I give them at Seattle with AROD being healthy

Pugger
01-01-2015, 09:17 AM
The calf won't affect him in the pocket.

It will limit his mobility. The Packers can counter that with their run game. Rodgers will need to throw the ball away sometimes. It is a good lesson for him to learn...he's not getting younger and his legs won't be good enough to escape with for too much longer.

If mobility doesn't stop Manning and Brady from winning...why should it stop Rodgers?

If we can get the running game going against the loins we can do that against anybody in the tournament.

woodbuck27
01-07-2015, 09:10 AM
http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Aaron-Rodgers-on-progress-of-calf-injury/097cf337-401c-434f-823d-9a3e8e433241

Aaron Rodgers on progress of calf injury

Comment woodbuck27:

This was on Jan. 02, 2015.

Rodgers comment on a lot here.

What do we have since on the progress of his calf and ability to move in and out of the pocket?

I found this:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/12129134/aaron-rodgers-green-bay-packers-says-calf-better-examined-wednesday

Aaron Rodgers: Calf 'feels better'

Updated: January 6, 2015, 5:37 PM ET

By: Rob Demovsky | ESPN.com

GO PACK GO !

pbmax
01-07-2015, 09:21 AM
So how big a lead do you need (and when) to put Flynn in?

hoosier
01-07-2015, 09:34 AM
So how big a lead do you need (and when) to put Flynn in?

3rd quarter: up by 5 TDs or more
start of 4th quarter: up by 4+ TDs
6:00 left: up by 3+ TDs

Harlan Huckleby
01-07-2015, 10:40 AM
You want Flynn in ASAP so Rodgers has no setbacks for Seattle. It does no good to win if Rodgers gets hurt.

woodbuck27
01-07-2015, 10:49 AM
You want Flynn in ASAP so Rodgers has no setbacks for Seattle. It does no good to win if Rodgers gets hurt.

Win with Flynn !?

Best to rest.

Aaron Rodgers won't practise before his calf is ready.

Patler's post #2 this thread:

http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...offs/21028483/

hoosier
01-07-2015, 11:04 AM

It does no good to keep Rodgers healthy if the Pack loses. Well, except for Rodgers himself, that is.

Harlan Huckleby
01-07-2015, 12:52 PM
It does no good to keep Rodgers healthy if the Pack loses. Well, except for Rodgers himself, that is.

yes, the idea is to rest Rodgers as soon as you have a strong chance of winning. Don't hold out for near certainty.

woodbuck27
01-07-2015, 12:56 PM
yes, the idea is to rest Rodgers as soon as you have a strong chance of winning. Don't hold out for near certainty.

The only thing I feel is certain as we discuss this Aaron Rodgers and injury again:

TT needs to find a capable backup QB. Is anybody really really confident in Matt Flynn?

Cheesehead Craig
01-07-2015, 01:00 PM
The only thing I feel is certain as we discuss this Aaron Rodgers and injury again:

TT needs to find a capable backup QB. Is anybody really really confident in Matt Flynn?

After the fiasco last year, the backup QB situation is light years better than it was. Flynn is a solid backup. There's a whole lot worse backups out there.

Harlan Huckleby
01-07-2015, 01:12 PM

ya, that's a problem. But if the lead shrinks, you can always trot - or at least walk - The Prince back out there.

Harlan Huckleby
01-07-2015, 01:14 PM
Flynn is a solid backup. There's a whole lot worse backups out there.

He hasn't shown much this year. He was OK in preseason, Tolzien looked better.

pbmax
01-07-2015, 01:20 PM
He hasn't shown much this year. He was OK in preseason, Tolzien looked better.

Tolzien will be active so you might get to see your guy in uniform.

woodbuck27
01-07-2015, 01:32 PM
After the fiasco last year, the backup QB situation is light years better than it was. Flynn is a solid backup. There's a whole lot worse backups out there.

It's like an echo.

Flynn is a solid backup. Flynn is a solid backup. Flynn is a solid backup. Flynn is a solid backup.

I'm looking forward to:

Matt Flynn isn't any longer the Green Bay Packer backup QB.

Looking into the crystal ball. Matt Flynn makes a great:

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXY6Tm0ByUE0370-kKbroSCf8xOoqir0eDE6xEPXQrCJGhHUDr_Q

Harlan Huckleby
01-07-2015, 01:40 PM
Tolzien will be active so you might get to see your guy in uniform.

Excellent! He looks so handsome standing on sidelines in the home uniform colors.

woodbuck27
01-07-2015, 01:41 PM
Excellent! He looks so handsome standing on sidelines in the home uniform colors.

Ohh boy! :whaa:

Harlan Huckleby
01-07-2015, 01:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1M5eEJeT38