PDA

View Full Version : MY HOE AND PRAYER FOR THE PACKERS FIRST ROUND PICK IN THE NEXT DRAFT

texaspackerbacker
12-31-2014, 08:38 AM
Shit! I screwed up the title. Moderator, please give me a P hahahaha.

I want to get this posted BEFORE tomorrow's Wisconsin game because I want it regardless of how that game goes down. Never mind the fact that we have Lacy and he's exceptional. Never mind the fact that Starks is a fairly decent change of pace RB. Never mind the fact that Harris might be a better change of pace RB than Starks.

I WANT MELVIN GORDON TAKEN BY THE PACKERS!

Never mind that we need a good ILB - the second round will work for that. Never mind that it wouldn't be a bad idea to copy what the Cowboys have done with first round picks in their O Line - our luck/skill/whatever will first round O Lineman hasn't been so hot (Ted just ain't Jerry hahahahaha).

Maybe Gordon will be gone by the time the Packers pick - I've heard it said he could go as high as #1 or 2, but the way it has been with RBs, I'd say it's 60/40 he's still there for us - just as Lacy was there in the second round. IMO, Gordon is a once in a generation player whose ability will translate to the NFL. I've been around since Jim Brown, and I haven't seen anybody other than Brown and maybe O.J. who was better - not even Sayers or Sanders, certainly not Emmet Smith or Payton.

Just imagine Gordon's breakaway ability and Rodgers' passing, and salivate about it. 60% of the plays Gordon on the field, and 40% Lacy.

mraynrand
12-31-2014, 08:42 AM
stop being a hoe

mraynrand
12-31-2014, 08:43 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5H5r4_CoJo

mraynrand
12-31-2014, 08:44 AM
seriously though, Packers won't get a sniff at Gordon, but I'd take 'em if they did.

Fritz
12-31-2014, 08:45 AM

I want to get this posted BEFORE tomorrow's Wisconsin game because I want it regardless of how that game goes down. Never mind the fact that we have Lacy and he's exceptional. Never mind the fact that Starks is a fairly decent change of pace RB. Never mind the fact that Harris might be a better change of pace RB than Starks.

Never mind that we need a good ILB - the second round will work for that. Never mind that it wouldn't be a bad idea to copy what the Cowboys have done with first round picks in their O Line - our luck/skill/whatever will first round O Lineman hasn't been so hot (Ted just ain't Jerry hahahahaha).

Maybe Gordon will be gone by the time the Packers pick - I've heard it said he could go as high as #1 or 2, but the way it has been with RBs, I'd say it's 60/40 he's still there for us - just as Lacy was there in the second round. IMO, Gordon is a once in a generation player whose ability will translate to the NFL. I've been around since Jim Brown, and I haven't seen anybody other than Brown and maybe O.J. who was better - not even Sayers or Sanders, certainly not Emmet Smith or Payton.

Just imagine Gordon's breakaway ability and Rodgers' passing, and salivate about it. 60% of the plays Gordon on the field, and 40% Lacy.

Say, would you mind posting a picture of your hoe?

woodbuck27
12-31-2014, 08:52 AM

WOW !

You love this guy.

mraynrand
12-31-2014, 08:53 AM
Say, would you mind posting a picture of your hoe?

Joemailman
12-31-2014, 09:04 AM
Gordon could be there. Hard to say. CBSSports has 2 mock drafts. One has Gordon going #14, the other at #29. Packers will be picking between 25-32. Why would you use a #1 pick on Gordon and reduce Lacy's carries? I can't see TT doing it.

Gordon may be a step above the other Badger RB's that have failed in the NFL, but he's not Walter Payton. I'd pass.

hoosier
12-31-2014, 09:26 AM
Lacy is a great fit with this offense: he can block, catch and break tackles, and what he brings is enough to get most defenses out of the 2-deep shell. I am not sure that having Gordon on the field would make the Packer offense all that much more difficult to defend, and if he is only going to be on the field for 20-30 plays then I'm not sure that is worth a D1. They have real needs at inside linebacker, defensive line, tackle and TE. And possibly CB and WR depending on what happens with their FAs-to-be. If there is first round talent at one of those positions, take it.

Maxie the Taxi
12-31-2014, 09:44 AM
Just questions, so don't get your panties in a wad...

How much of Gordon's success is due to the Wisconsin OL? Apparently, two starting OLinemen sat out the Ohio State game and Gordon was held below 100 yds.

If Gordon wasn't available at our draft spot, but Gurley was, would you draft Todd Gurley with your first draft pick? Same size players and arguably Gurley is just as good.

Harlan Huckleby
12-31-2014, 09:54 AM
Maxie hoe the boat ashore, hallelujah!

Harlan Huckleby
12-31-2014, 10:02 AM

I remember when Melvin Gordon arrived as skinny freshmen, Monte Ball and James White said Gordon was going to be a much better player than either of them. That is an eye opening statement from college running backs who were pretty hot shit themselves.

Now that Gordon has proven he can take and give a beating inside, plus catch passes, he's a gem for any team to take anywhere, IMO.

pbmax
12-31-2014, 10:13 AM

How much of Gordon's success is due to the Wisconsin OL? Apparently, two starting OLinemen sat out the Ohio State game and Gordon was held below 100 yds.

If Gordon wasn't available at our draft spot, but Gurley was, would you draft Todd Gurley with your first draft pick? Same size players and arguably Gurley is just as good.

Ohio State sold out to stop the run, double A gap blitzes on any running down. Gordon was the only option on offense the Buckeyes were concerned with. That's not to say his OL wasn't a difference, but RBs can be stopped, even if they are other worldly talented.

mraynrand
12-31-2014, 10:22 AM
Ohio State sold out to stop the run, double A gap blitzes on any running down. Gordon was the only option on offense the Buckeyes were concerned with. That's not to say his OL wasn't a difference, but RBs can be stopped, even if they are other worldly talented.

http://thedrive.fm/blogs/news-from-the-pack/711/video-playoff-memories-10-minus-1-yard-for-barry-sanders/

Sorry, this is a terrible video - but Barry Sanders was held to -1 yards. It can be done.

esoxx
12-31-2014, 11:30 AM
Take it to the Garbage Can, Tex.

pbmax
12-31-2014, 12:11 PM
We kinda have to let Tank do his Hoes and Pimps thread now, don't we? :lol:

KYPack
12-31-2014, 01:13 PM

NO

Tyrion Lannister
12-31-2014, 01:29 PM

Well, there's no need for a Pimps & Hoes thread when Harlan immediately starts a similar thread the moment a game ended. What an attention whore, that Harlan Huckleby.

Like McGinn, I like to review the Packers in 30 minutes on NFL Shortcuts before I give out my unbiased grades. By the time I review the film, it is usually too late.

Btw, Gordon: Poor man's Jameel Charles.

mraynrand
12-31-2014, 01:34 PM
Btw, Gordon: Poor man's Jameel Charles.

except Gordon doesn't have Charles' Kapaernickesque pipestem legs.

Tyrion Lannister
12-31-2014, 01:43 PM
except Gordon doesn't have Charles' Kapaernickesque pipestem legs.

lol

MadtownPacker
12-31-2014, 02:32 PM
Leaving the title as it is just for bringing up the draft right before the playoff run.

woodbuck27
12-31-2014, 02:41 PM
Leaving the title as it is just for bringing up the draft right before the playoff run.

I used to think that changing the Thread Title once it was posted was under 'Insider Information and Control'.

Besides .... we should all know that 'many a man' has 'at many a time' some hoe in a Hoe.

texaspackerbacker
12-31-2014, 03:02 PM

No problem with the title - it's too late now anyway; My hot young wife already saw it, and she elder-abused me hahahaha.

No, Maxi, I wouldn't take Gurley in the first round or any other RB in any high round. Gordon is exceptional. As I said previously, I really don't think the Badger O Line made Gordon what he was. A lot of his runs were without exceptional blocking/with broken tackles/with unscripted cutbacks, etc.

As for Gordon compared to Lacy, I see Gordon breaking most of the same tackles Lacy broke, and I see Gordon going for TDs on most of the runs where Lacy broke into the second level and chugged about 20 or so yards before getting dragged down.

I posted this NOW - before the playoffs because I think Gordon is gonna absolutely tear up God damned Auburn, and I wanted to get ahead of the curve - touting Gordon before that game.

call_me_ishmael
12-31-2014, 03:05 PM
Dude, that is creepy as fuck that you are married to such a young gal.

Fritz
12-31-2014, 03:11 PM
Dude, that is creepy as fuck that you are married to such a young gal.

Creepy?

It's frickin' awesome!

Bretsky
12-31-2014, 05:39 PM
First off, giv Tex infinite credit for landing a hot wife who's younger. Who the hell wants one their age anyways ???

Secondly, I love Melvin Gordon but I struggle with how well his game translates. I've hear comparisons with LT and Charles and if he's a poor man's either he'll be a stud. I think he has great vision and is a great rb. I'd take him over Gurley....not to even mention Gurley might not be a good person.

I'd bless him as our first round pick; just not sure I'd pound the table due to other needs. I think he'll be a very good NFL running back but we are strong there.

With that being said, look at some of the crap 1st round picks we've had. So I'd be fine with Melvin if he's the BPA.

Harlan Huckleby
12-31-2014, 07:04 PM
Well, there's no need for a Pimps & Hoes thread when Harlan immediately starts a similar thread the moment a game ended. What an attention whore, that Harlan Huckleby.

Sorry, didn't realize I was stepping on your show. Can't feel much through my jackboots.

woodbuck27
12-31-2014, 11:45 PM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=12014478

Where Should Heisman Finalists ( Marcus Mariota; Amari Cooper and Melvin Gordon) Be Drafted?

Publish Date: Dec 11, 2014, 10:22 AM ET ...... Duration: 02:51

woodbuck27
01-01-2015, 01:34 PM
Not to rain on any parade but.....

Here are just TEN Teams (and in order) that have a lot more need at RB than the 6th Ranked Rushing attack of the Green Bay Packers:

Oakland
Tampa Bay
Arizona
Detroit
Buffalo
Indy
Cleveland
San Diego
Houston
New York GIANTS

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff

Maxie the Taxi
01-01-2015, 01:39 PM
Sorry, Tex. I think Gordon's performance in the Outback is taking the air out of your balloon, plus making Melvin a bundle of cash.

ptisme
01-01-2015, 01:53 PM
He's an immoral pleasure seeker:)

woodbuck27
01-01-2015, 02:35 PM
Sorry, Tex. I think Gordon's performance in the Outback is taking the air out of your balloon, plus making Melvin a bundle of cash.

A solid day for Melvin Gordon in a Wisconsin's 34-31 OT win Vs Auburn at the Outback Bowl game:

When the score was Auburn 31 - Wisconsin 28:

Melvin Gordon's Day >>> 31 Carries for 249 yards and 3 TDS !

Here's one of his TDs ... a 53-yard run on 4th and 1 to put the Badgers up 21-17:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2015-01-01/melvin-gordon-53-yard-touchdown-run-fourth-and-1-wisconsin-running-back-badgers-outback-bowl-auburn-video

ptisme
01-01-2015, 04:22 PM
I don't even think Gordon would be available. But if he was he'd be hard to pass up

texaspackerbacker
01-01-2015, 05:40 PM

THIS IS ME DOUBLING DOWN ON GORDON!

I assume you mean he is likely to get drafted before our turn to snag him? Sadly, you are probably right - as I already said.

Cheesehead Craig
01-01-2015, 05:49 PM
Best RB in college football won't be around at pick 32!

wist43
01-01-2015, 05:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5H5r4_CoJo

Have you seen the Australian TV show "Rake" with Richard Roxburgh on Netflix??

It is awesome, lol...

There is an America version with Greg Kinnear, but it got bad reviews and was cancelled... the original Aussie show is great though - one of my favorite shows :)

Striker
01-01-2015, 06:10 PM
It'll be interesting to see how Gordon does at the combine and his Pro Day.

King Friday
01-01-2015, 08:35 PM
It'll be interesting to see how Gordon does at the combine and his Pro Day.

It may be interesting. It won't make much of a difference where this kid goes in the draft. He's a bona-fide top 15 draft pick. There are very few guys who have both elite power and speed on the college level...Gordon is one of them.

RBs haven't gotten much love in the draft lately, but without many top shelf QBs in the draft this year I think the RBs will go higher than they have in the past few years to teams looking for offensive help.

Patler
01-01-2015, 11:00 PM
Lacy is a great fit with this offense: he can block, catch and break tackles, and what he brings is enough to get most defenses out of the 2-deep shell. I am not sure that having Gordon on the field would make the Packer offense all that much more difficult to defend, and if he is only going to be on the field for 20-30 plays then I'm not sure that is worth a D1. They have real needs at inside linebacker, defensive line, tackle and TE. And possibly CB and WR depending on what happens with their FAs-to-be. If there is first round talent at one of those positions, take it.

That's where I'm at, too. They have Lacy, what would they do with Gordon? It would be a big waste. Starks (85) and Lacy (246) had 331 carries combined. Does it make sense to have Lacy and Gordon, and give each only 10 carries a game? How effective would either be if used that way?

King Friday
01-01-2015, 11:08 PM
That's where I'm at, too. They have Lacy, what would they do with Gordon? It would be a big waste. Starks (85) and Lacy (246) had 331 carries combined. Does it make sense to have Lacy and Gordon, and give each only 10 carries a game? How effective would either be if used that way?

This is why Tex should stick to being a ladies man and leave the football to non-ladies men like Ted Thompson.

MadScientist
01-01-2015, 11:35 PM
Gordon will go no later than the Vikings. If he does go to them, we can only hope Tex is wrong and he's more like other recent UW backs.

mraynrand
01-01-2015, 11:58 PM
Gordon will go no later than the Vikings. If he does go to them, we can only hope Tex is wrong and he's more like other recent UW backs.

Ugh. you are probably right. And Tex is probably right too.

wist43
01-02-2015, 01:12 AM
Lacy has been so much tougher than I could ever have imagined... I still hate that our running game consists of 3 plays, but Lacy is legit.

As for next years draft - good grief, don't we have to take an ILB early?? Barrington has looked good, but Hawk and Jones both have to be gone exactly 1 nanosecond after the last game. Enough is enough.

And can someone please explain to me why Jones was even in the game against the Lions?? Man was he awful!!!

mraynrand
01-02-2015, 06:36 AM
And can someone please explain to me why Jones was even in the game against the Lions?? Man was he awful!!!

If Richardson isn't already on the field, there is no reason to put Jones in over him. It's probably due to House being out, and not wanting to have Hayward and Hyde and Richardson as your two dime backs and other ILB, because it's too small versus a run, and too slow versus coverage, but I gotta believe that's better than having Jones out there in coverage. (something doesn't add up as I re-read that)

Yeah, Packers need to strike draft gold and get the Ha Ha equivalent of ILBs this coming year.

woodbuck27
01-02-2015, 08:07 AM
Lacy has been so much tougher than I could ever have imagined... I still hate that our running game consists of 3 plays, but Lacy is legit.

As for next years draft - good grief, don't we have to take an ILB early?? Barrington has looked good, but Hawk and Jones both have to be gone exactly 1 nanosecond after the last game. Enough is enough.

and .....what's with the way Jones walks on and off the field!?

That's simply ..... not athletic. If it walks like a duck? TT's paying Jones $3.5 M$ for what?

Jhesssshh !

Hawk is paid what!? for his retirement year?

That nonsense must...... STOP.

King Friday
01-02-2015, 09:01 AM
Yeah, Packers need to strike draft gold and get the Ha Ha equivalent of ILBs this coming year.

We don't even need gold...I'll take silver at this point and run. We don't even have bronze caliber players at ILB at this point.

Carolina_Packer
01-02-2015, 10:42 AM
Is there any ILB's that any of you like in this year's draft? http://walterfootball.com/draft2015ILB.php There don't appear to be any C.J. Mosely's or Ryan Shazier's in this draft. I know TT says he sticks to his big board and takes BAP, and I appreciate that. Would you take the best available ILB in the 2015 draft if he was not the best available player on your big board? Of course, if the BAP is a QB with starting potential, do you take him because he's the BAP? You can only logically carry the BAP so far until you discover that it fits your needs as well. The Packers have to get better at ILB, just like they had to get better at safety last off-season.

pbmax
01-02-2015, 10:47 AM
I don't want an ILB in the first round unless they are locks.

There are a ton of good ILBs from the mid-rounds.

mraynrand
01-02-2015, 10:53 AM
We don't even need gold...I'll take silver at this point and run. We don't even have bronze caliber players at ILB at this point.

That's it - aim low, sweet chariot

Maxie the Taxi
01-02-2015, 11:11 AM
Is there any ILB's that any of you like in this year's draft? http://walterfootball.com/draft2015ILB.php There don't appear to be any C.J. Mosely's or Ryan Shazier's in this draft. I know TT says he sticks to his big board and takes BAP, and I appreciate that. Would you take the best available ILB in the 2015 draft if he was not the best available player on your big board? Of course, if the BAP is a QB with starting potential, do you take him because he's the BAP? You can only logically carry the BAP so far until you discover that it fits your needs as well. The Packers have to get better at ILB, just like they had to get better at safety last off-season.

TT talks BAP but I don't think he's married to the concept, especially after the 1st round.

For my money, the best of the better known ILB's is Eric Kendricks.

UCLA's Eric Kendricks is another versatile linebacker prospect that will be available on day two of the NFL draft. He plays inside for UCLA but his skills will allow him to play on the weakside as well. He's active, quick, and instinctive. Kendricks reads the play very quickly and wastes no time flying to the ball carrier. He has very good agility and closing speed, and makes plays sideline to sideline. He's a very good athlete that also shows the ability to cover backs and tight ends down field, and has the awareness to play in zones. At just 6' 230, Kendricks does struggle to get off blocks and can have trouble when teams run directly at him. He will need some protection and defensive linemen that can occupy blockers in front of him to stay inside at the next level, but the skills and intelligence is there to move to the weakside.

But he's projected as a 3rd round choice. I agree with pbmax. We shouldn't waste a top draft choice on an ILB because there are no sure bets. Mid-round talent is available. And then there are guys like Steve Miller in the bargain basement.

Maxie the Taxi
01-02-2015, 11:17 AM
One more thing...I think the Packers need a guy like Kendricks because the trend nowadays is speed and quickness, along with sure tackling. One of your ILB has to be able to move quick and fast to speedy RB's and TE's. He needs to be able to keep up with the basketball TE's like Gronk and Graham. The other ILB can be the pounder and run stuffer.

King Friday
01-02-2015, 03:26 PM
Kendricks is way too small for me...only a shade over 6 feet. I'm often leery of any Pac-12 defender that has to stack up against the run. That conference often has good pass rushing talents (due to the strong passing games in that conference) but their run defenders are typically weaker than other conferences. Just look at the above average ILBs in today's NFL...you won't find many from the Pac-12.

King Friday
01-02-2015, 03:28 PM
One more thing...I think the Packers need a guy like Kendricks because the trend nowadays is speed and quickness, along with sure tackling. One of your ILB has to be able to move quick and fast to speedy RB's and TE's. He needs to be able to keep up with the basketball TE's like Gronk and Graham. The other ILB can be the pounder and run stuffer.

Both inside backers in a 3-4 need to be able to compete against the run. You can't just stick a safety in there and expect to stop a decent running game.

wist43
01-02-2015, 03:41 PM
I used to be in the 'anti-smallish ILB' camp, but I think defenses have evolved to some extent and that is less of an issue.

To be sure you still need to be tough and be able to thump inside, but I'll take instincts and toughness over size if the big guy is prone to slow diagnosis and false steps.

Not sure Brian Noble could even play in today's game, and there are examples of studs like Sam Mills who played inside forever. It all comes down to the individual player... would I rather have a beastly sized guy that had top notch instincts and speed?? of course, but those guys are rare.

One thing is for sure, and I think most of us can now agree - Hawk and Jones both need to be gone this offseason.

Carolina_Packer
01-02-2015, 04:40 PM
I used to be in the 'anti-smallish ILB' camp, but I think defenses have evolved to some extent and that is less of an issue.

To be sure you still need to be tough and be able to thump inside, but I'll take instincts and toughness over size if the big guy is prone to slow diagnosis and false steps.

Not sure Brian Noble could even play in today's game, and there are examples of studs like Sam Mills who played inside forever. It all comes down to the individual player... would I rather have a beastly sized guy that had top notch instincts and speed?? of course, but those guys are rare.

One thing is for sure, and I think most of us can now agree - Hawk and Jones both need to be gone this offseason.

QFT

smuggler
01-02-2015, 05:02 PM
I really like Shawn Oakman, as I've said, but he's going to go well before our pick. A classic Packers pick would be T.J. Clemmings (OT) from Pittsburgh. I'm not convinced that McKinney will be able to cover well enough to really improve our team, and there are no ILBs other than him worth drafting in the first round. Of course, a nice safety or corner *could* fall into our lap, but I doubt it. Clemmings seems like the kind of guy that deserves to go in picks 20-30, but probably drops because he's not a standout at his position and not GREAT or WOW, as the scouts say.

Striker
01-02-2015, 05:28 PM
ILB or a TE/big WR would be great. Getting that big possession type across the middle of the field would open things up even more.

They probably should keep stocking OLB too, since there's no real plan behind Peppers and Matthews.

Maxie the Taxi
01-02-2015, 05:55 PM
Kendricks is way too small for me...only a shade over 6 feet. I'm often leery of any Pac-12 defender that has to stack up against the run. That conference often has good pass rushing talents (due to the strong passing games in that conference) but their run defenders are typically weaker than other conferences. Just look at the above average ILBs in today's NFL...you won't find many from the Pac-12.

I think you're splitting hairs...

Pro Bowl ILB's for this year are:

Luke Kuechly, Car
6'3" 238 lbs Boston College

Bobby Wagner, Sea
6'0" 241 lbs Utah State

C.J. Mosley, Bal
6'2" 235 lbs Alabama

Lawrence Timmons, Pit
6'1" 234 lbs Florida State

And then there is the guy some acknowledge is the best ILB in the league:

DeAndre Levy, Det
6'2" 235 lbs Wisconsin

Kendricks is 6'0" 230 lbs.

Maxie the Taxi
01-02-2015, 06:01 PM
Kendricks is playing right now in the Alamo Bowl on ESPN.

Maxie the Taxi
01-02-2015, 06:03 PM
In fact, Eric Kendricks #6 just sacked the QB as I write. Butkus Award winner this year.

woodbuck27
01-02-2015, 06:22 PM
I think you're splitting hairs...

Pro Bowl ILB's for this year are:

Luke Kuechly, Car
6'3" 238 lbs Boston College

Bobby Wagner, Sea
6'0" 241 lbs Utah State

C.J. Mosley, Bal
6'2" 235 lbs Alabama

Lawrence Timmons, Pit
6'1" 234 lbs Florida State

And then there is the guy some acknowledge is the best ILB in the league:

DeAndre Levy, Det
6'2" 235 lbs Wisconsin

Kendricks is 6'0" 230 lbs.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/04/30/2014-defensive-prototypes-linebackers/

2014 Defensive Prototypes: Linebackers

Sam Monson | April 30, 2014

See Patrick Willis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Willis

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/11/patrick-willis-fine-playing-either-inside-linebacker-spot/

Patrick Willis fine playing either inside linebacker spot

Posted by Josh Alper on August 11, 2014, 12:18 PM EST

woodbuck27
01-02-2015, 06:39 PM
http://www.sprayberryfootball.com/page/show/292837-nfl-player-specs

The following are physical attributes, personality traits, and other characteristics for Offensive, Defensive, and Special Teams positions that professional scouts look for in draftees and recruits.

Adapted from Pro Football Weekly NFL Prototypes (Draft Guide 2011, Spring 2011).

ie INSIDE LINEBACKERS

Height: 6’0” ; Weight: 235 lbs

40-yd Dash: 4.7 sec; Arm Length: 31” ; Hand Span: 9” ; Intelligence: Above Average

Characteristics:

Instincts, Tackling, Balance, Leadership, Decision-making, Intelligence

smuggler
01-02-2015, 07:07 PM
I don't see enough in Kendricks' play to suggest he should be a 1st round pick. Because of positional scarcity, I could see him going in the 2nd round, but he is not one of the top 50 players in the draft. I'd feel good taking him sometime in round 3.

pbmax
01-02-2015, 09:34 PM
Doesn't Levy play OLB in their 4-3? Or did he move?

Striker
01-02-2015, 09:36 PM
He plays OLB.

smuggler
01-02-2015, 10:29 PM
He'd play inside with a 3-4 team, tho.