PDA

View Full Version : Woodson on hot seat

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-30-2006, 09:40 AM
After being burned by Bengals, Woodson on hot seat

By Dylan B. Tomlinson
Gannett Wisconsin Newspapers

For the Green Bay Packers to have much success on defense this season, they're going to have to start seeing some return on the seven-year, $39 million investment they made in cornerback Charles Woodson.

Woodson's signing was considered a huge coup for the Packers this offseason, but if Woodson has a few more performances like he did during Monday night's embarrassing 48-17 loss to the Cincinnati Bengals, it's going to look like they got ripped off.

Woodson was burned by Bengals receivers T.J. Housh-mandzadeh and Tab Perry for touchdowns on Monday night.

At a press conference on Tuesday, Packers General Manager Ted Thompson did his best to dodge questions about Woodson's play.

"I don't think it's appropriate for me to comment on individual players," Thompson said. "I haven't met with the coaches yet, and I don't know all of the different peculiarities of the calls, so I'll just leave that to the coaches to critique."

Packers coach Mike McCarthy was unavailable for comment on Tuesday, but after the game, McCarthy seemed displeased with how the defense played as a whole.

"I'm not going to single out any player right now — it wouldn't be accurate — until I see the video," McCarthy said.

Woodson has shown flashes during camp that would indicate he's still capable of playing at the high level of early in his career when he was selected to four Pro Bowls. But Monday night's performance was enough to give almost anybody cause for concern.

Woodson wasn't the only defensive player to turn in a sub-par performance.

The defense gave up 146 rushing yards, something Thompson was not thrilled with.

"As a group, we didn't tackle well," Thompson said. "I thought we were especially poor tackling in third-down situations. We fought off some tacklers later in the game and it kind of got out of control, especially after the suspension of play. I thought we were still playing hard, but we were bouncing off of ball carriers. Give those guys credit, they were running the ball well, but we have to tackle better than that."

McCarthy said he also was frustrated with what he saw from the defense.

"We need to get that fixed. Third downs from a defensive standpoint, we need to improve that. Once again, I'll have to see the film," McCarthy said. "From my experience, it's never as bad as it seems or as good as it seems, so any type of remark that I make right now would be purely on emotion."

McCarthy said last week he hoped to rest several Packers starters, including quarterback Brett Favre, in the preseason finale against the Tennessee Titans on Friday at Lambeau Field. After Monday night's performance, McCarthy wouldn't commit to what his plan would be for Friday's game.

"It's Tuesday morning already, and we've got to play a game Friday at 3 o'clock. We need to do what's best for our football team and we have to give our young players who still have a chance to make our team an opportunity to make it on Friday. At the same time we have to be smart with certain players and get them ready for Chicago. So we'll revisit that tomorrow, but I don't think I'll change my plan."

ND72
08-30-2006, 11:00 AM
woodson won't get cut, so there's no point in talking about it.

Scott Campbell
08-30-2006, 11:18 AM
Woodson could get cut if he keeps playing like crap.

Brando19
08-30-2006, 11:27 AM
no chance with all the money invested in him. He'll stay on the team if he's just returning punts.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-30-2006, 11:30 AM
He'll stay on the team if he's just returning punts.

If he's just reurning kick, he will 100% be cut.

Partial
08-30-2006, 11:31 AM
Woodson could get cut if he keeps playing like crap.

He played great the first two preseason games. He looked like he wasn't trying and was doggin' it on Monday night, not that he was lacking talent.

Manual really looked like he was lacking talent, not dogging it. I'm more worried about him.

Chester Marcol
08-30-2006, 01:57 PM
Only 4 mil signing bonus and a salary of 10.5 mil this year and then about half that next year and the year after I believe. I don't see a financial issue with cutting him if he's a dog. Correct me if I'm wrong.

NewsBruin
08-30-2006, 06:10 PM
Has he been in the league long enough to be a vested veteran? If we cut him, we owe him the entire amount of his first-year salary.

the_idle_threat
08-31-2006, 02:35 AM
Has he been in the league long enough to be a vested veteran? If we cut him, we owe him the entire amount of his first-year salary.

I'm pretty sure this only applies if he makes the team in the final cut down and is on the opening day roster. Otherwise, did we carry the salary for Matt O'Dwyer all last year because we had him in camp?

Kiwon
08-31-2006, 06:12 AM
It makes you wonder if all the INTs he has had in practice are due more to poor throws from Brett rather than Woodson's skill.

Bretsky
08-31-2006, 07:24 AM
Gross overreacation in here; Woody isn't getting but. No chance.

He had two good games and a puky one. He will be back and as still a solid CB.

B

Brandon494
08-31-2006, 08:06 AM
One bad game in preseason, give it a break! You think these guys are really going all out in a preseason game? :roll: