PDA

View Full Version : Packers Trying to Sign Guion to Extension

pbmax
12-31-2014, 05:42 PM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 33m33 minutes ago
Nice scoop Demoski. RT @RobDemovsky: #Packers trying to lock up DT Letroy Guion long term. Negotiations have begun.
http://es.pn/1y8n6rm

Joemailman
12-31-2014, 05:47 PM
He was quite a find once he got in shape after missing most of preseason due to hamstring injury.

Bretsky
12-31-2014, 05:47 PM
good sign as he fits our system nicely and was a freebee this yr at a cheap salary. Lock his ass up....oh...and Cobb and Bulaga too

denverYooper
12-31-2014, 08:39 PM
It's amazing what playing for a contender does for a guy's attitude ;).

woodbuck27
12-31-2014, 10:46 PM
Letroy Guion Stat's 2014:

TCKL 32; SACK 3.5 and FF 1

He was a nice pickup.

KYPack
12-31-2014, 11:16 PM
good sign as he fits our system nicely and was a freebee this yr at a cheap salary. Lock his ass up....oh...and Cobb and Bulaga too

Yeah, but they won't get all 3.

I think Bulaga is gone, unless they get him for cheap.

Barclay, anybody?

pittstang5
01-01-2015, 07:59 AM
Cobb is #1 IMO. Gotta bring him back. Boykin's play, or lack there of, is actually helping Cobb's agent raise the price.

Joemailman
01-01-2015, 08:09 AM
Yeah, but they won't get all 3.

I think Bulaga is gone, unless they get him for cheap.

Barclay, anybody?

Disagree about Bulaga. He's still only 25 and damn good when healthy. Same with Cobb. Not so sure about Tramon. He'll be 32 in a couple of months. He's the one who will have to take less money if he wants to stay in Green Bay.

Pugger
01-01-2015, 09:08 AM
Disagree about Bulaga. He's still only 25 and damn good when healthy. Same with Cobb. Not so sure about Tramon. He'll be 32 in a couple of months. He's the one who will have to take less money if he wants to stay in Green Bay.

And I doubt Guion is going to break the bank.

pbmax
01-01-2015, 09:23 AM
And I doubt Guion is going to break the bank.

Exactly. I agree about Tramon needing to take less even though he has outplayed Shields. I have no idea what to do about Bulaga. It has to come down to money because of the question of availability.

The Packers weekly active roster bonus feature that is now commonplace would work for him. The question is what the base would have to be. He can't get $8 million per year as a good RT without playing the majority of snaps.

KYPack
01-01-2015, 11:29 AM

Bulaga is a solid hand at RT, but he's at 3.8 mill. My post was about signing Cobb, Guion, and Bulaga. I like all 3 guys, but don't think they can shoehorn in all those contracts next season.

Tramon has really picked it up this year, but there's no way he ever achieves that huge contract again.

Guiness
01-01-2015, 11:37 AM
Bulaga is a solid hand at RT, but he's at 3.8 mill. My post was about signing Cobb, Guion, and Bulaga. I like all 3 guys, but don't think they can shoehorn in all those contracts next season.

Tramon has really picked it up this year, but there's no way he ever achieves that huge contract again.

Will Guion really command that much? He made $1M this year, he'll go up from there but I see him signing a 3yr contract who's entire value will be less than Cobb will average per year on his new deal.

Joemailman
01-01-2015, 11:43 AM
2014 Cap hits of some guys who I think could be gone next year:

Tramon Williams 9.5 million
A.J. Hawk 5.1 million
Brad Jones 3.9 million
B.J. Raji 4 million
Jamari Lattimore 1.4 million

Total of about 24 million.

I think there's going to be room to sign Cobb, Bulaga and Guion. It would be unlike TT to let Bulaga or Cobb get away. Guys that TT drafts who turn out to be good players always get that second contract.

Carolina_Packer
01-01-2015, 11:57 AM
2014 Cap hits of some guys who I think could be gone next year:

Tramon Williams 9.5 million
A.J. Hawk 5.1 million
Brad Jones 3.9 million
B.J. Raji 4 million
Jamari Lattimore 1.4 million

Total of about 24 million.

I think there's going to be room to sign Cobb, Bulaga and Guion. It would be unlike TT to let Bulaga or Cobb get away. Guys that TT drafts who turn out to be good players always get that second contract.

I think Barrington makes the jettisoning of Hawk and Jones possible, along with the possible development of Carl Bradford, who is listed on depth chart as ILB. Lattimore might be a cheaper option that provides depth at that position. If Jones and Hawk are let go, look for the Packers to target ILB as a top or near top priority in this year's draft.

King Friday
01-01-2015, 12:22 PM
We are likely going to have $18M-$19M in cap room to spend on top of where we stand now...on top of that you can roll over the $8M unused from this year. If you dump guys like Hawk and Jones, you can pick up another $7M. I think the team realizes they need to upgrade their athleticism at LB...I would not be surprised to see those guys get cut. Hawk played sparingly during the second half of the year...and the defense was better for it. Jones is JAG. You can't pay backups $4-5M a year.

So, we could easily have $32-$34M in available cap space. That is more than enough to sign all three guys if we want to.

Even though we have the space to sign all three, I think you have to let Tramon go. I'd rather keep Bulaga and Cobb. Tramon is reaching the point where his skills will diminish. How good will he be in non-contract years as he hits 33+ years old? He played great this year and will get a decent payday from someone. I hope it isn't Green Bay. I think we can find a capable replacement who is 25-28 years old on the FA market at a comparable price...plus draft someone as well.

I think you keep Bulaga because due to the injury history, you likely get a guy who can play at a Pro Bowl level when healthy at a cheaper price. We have the depth now to get through any minor injuries he has.

Cobb is a no-brainer. He's entering the prime of his career, and will be a 80-100 catch guy for the next 4-6 years that can also be an occasional matchup nightmare when he plays in the backfield. The question is only how you structure the deal.

Maxie the Taxi
01-01-2015, 12:26 PM
King, I'm in my option year with the Social Security Administration. Would you be my agent?

KYPack
01-01-2015, 12:40 PM
Guion is the third guy. Tramon is only back here at a huge discount & somebody else will probably pay that. Joe's "cut list" looks OK. I'd keep Lattimore, but the others are about right. Cobb should break the bank and I don't know if TT will go as high as he can get. The WR market has a lot of brilliant names, Cobb may get enuff from the GBP to reel him in. With all those WR's out there, Cobb and his agent don't want to become Jennings II

ptisme
01-01-2015, 01:55 PM
I also think Peppers should take a pay cut as well....

denverYooper
01-01-2015, 02:21 PM
I also think Peppers should take a pay cut as well....

Is that wist in your avatar?

mraynrand
01-01-2015, 03:21 PM

lol

Fritz
01-01-2015, 03:32 PM
Guion is the third guy. Tramon is only back here at a huge discount & somebody else will probably pay that. Joe's "cut list" looks OK. I'd keep Lattimore, but the others are about right. Cobb should break the bank and I don't know if TT will go as high as he can get. The WR market has a lot of brilliant names, Cobb may get enuff from the GBP to reel him in. With all those WR's out there, Cobb and his agent don't want to become Jennings II

I always love getting a good BJ, so I hope they can re-sign Raji. It'd be nice to have Guion and Raji tag-teaming.

And I hope they can fit Cobb and Bulaga in, too. If they don't sign Bulaga, Detroit will come sniffing around.

But I think Tramontana may be gone. But House has yet to have one full good season.

Joemailman
01-01-2015, 03:45 PM
Their are only 2 RT's with a cap hit of more than 6 million. Anthony Davis of San Francisco and Doug Free of Dallas. If they could get Bulaga to sign for 6 million per year, that's only 2.2 million more than his cap hit for this year. That seems manageable. I think it's probably going to cost about 9 million per year to sign Cobb. He's probably the #3 UFA WR behind Dez Bryant and Demaryius Thomas.

Patler
01-01-2015, 04:42 PM
We are likely going to have $18M-$19M in cap room to spend on top of where we stand now...on top of that you can roll over the $8M unused from this year. If you dump guys like Hawk and Jones, you can pick up another $7M. I think the team realizes they need to upgrade their athleticism at LB...I would not be surprised to see those guys get cut. Hawk played sparingly during the second half of the year...and the defense was better for it. Jones is JAG. You can't pay backups $4-5M a year.

So, we could easily have $32-$34M in available cap space. That is more than enough to sign all three guys if we want to.

Even though we have the space to sign all three, I think you have to let Tramon go. I'd rather keep Bulaga and Cobb. Tramon is reaching the point where his skills will diminish. How good will he be in non-contract years as he hits 33+ years old? He played great this year and will get a decent payday from someone. I hope it isn't Green Bay. I think we can find a capable replacement who is 25-28 years old on the FA market at a comparable price...plus draft someone as well.

I think you keep Bulaga because due to the injury history, you likely get a guy who can play at a Pro Bowl level when healthy at a cheaper price. We have the depth now to get through any minor injuries he has.

Cobb is a no-brainer. He's entering the prime of his career, and will be a 80-100 catch guy for the next 4-6 years that can also be an occasional matchup nightmare when he plays in the backfield. The question is only how you structure the deal.

I agree. The Packers will have enough cap space available to sign the players at fair and reasonable prices, the questions will be if the players will accept those terms.

Cobb is a no-brainer, unless he and his agent are looking for a huge contract significantly above Nelson's. GB typically doesn't pay top dollar, except to a few selected players. GB offered a very good contract to Jennings, but he left anyway. I think there is a difference between the two, I felt from the previous season that Jennings was not that interested in staying. I feel the opposite about Cobb. I think they will get a deal done.

I can't imagine that Guion will be all that expensive. He might get a few million a year, but that shouldn't be a problem to accommodate under the cap.

I expect they will try to keep one of Williams and House, but not both. Unless Williams is willing to come back real cheap, I think they might work to keep House because of age.

Bulaga might be a tough one. I really want them to keep him, but he might be a free agent target for a tackle-starved team. I have a difficult time putting a value on him.

Patler
01-01-2015, 04:46 PM
I always love getting a good BJ, so I hope they can re-sign Raji. It'd be nice to have Guion and Raji tag-teaming.

And I hope they can fit Cobb and Bulaga in, too. If they don't sign Bulaga, Detroit will come sniffing around.

But I think Tramontana may be gone. But House has yet to have one full good season.

At this point, can Raji command much above a minimal, one year contract? Will anyone pay him what GB did this year?

pbmax
01-01-2015, 06:48 PM
King, I'm in my option year with the Social Security Administration. Would you be my agent?

Don't take it early unless you are going to blast yourself off to a one way trip to Mars with Elon Musk in the next couple of years.

pbmax
01-01-2015, 06:51 PM

Trying to land the great white dunderdummy.

pbmax
01-01-2015, 07:00 PM
Their are only 2 RT's with a cap hit of more than 6 million. Anthony Davis of San Francisco and Doug Free of Dallas. If they could get Bulaga to sign for 6 million per year, that's only 2.2 million more than his cap hit for this year. That seems manageable. I think it's probably going to cost about 9 million per year to sign Cobb. He's probably the #3 UFA WR behind Dez Bryant and Demaryius Thomas.

Yeah, forget my number earlier, Joe is right about the Right Tackle cap charges, there is nothing about Anthony Davis at $7.5 million on the cap.

However, if you go average yearly salary, there are six guys above $6 mil (Andre Smith, Todd Herremans, Marcus Gilbert, Phil Loadholt, Anthony Davis and Gosder Cherilus). Bulaga is 14th in yearly and 9th in cap hit this year.

So you have to figure the top RTs in this year's FA class are going to have their largest cap hits near $8 mil and an average salary near $7 mil per year.

Fritz
01-01-2015, 08:07 PM
At this point, can Raji command much above a minimal, one year contract? Will anyone pay him what GB did this year?

It takes one idiot to wreck a village. Maybe Dan Snyder or Jerruh or Mark Davis in Oakland. Or the Vikes will sign him out of spite.

King Friday
01-01-2015, 08:28 PM

My advice? Don't invest in the ruble.