PDA

View Full Version : Packers Promote Wolf

Striker
01-02-2015, 02:21 PM
The Green Bay Packers have promoted Eliot Wolf to director of player personnel. The announcement was made Friday by Packers Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations Ted Thompson.

Wolf is in his 11th season with the club and spent the last three years as director of pro personnel. In 2011, he served as the team’s assistant director of player personnel after working as the team’s assistant director of pro personnel from 2008-10. Wolf originally joined the Packers as a pro personnel assistant in 2004 and spent four seasons in that position.

Wolf owns a B.A. degree from the University of Miami (Fla.), graduating after just 3½ years in order to begin his NFL career before the 2004 NFL Draft. At Miami, he volunteered in the football office’s recruiting department. Wolf is a 2000 high school graduate of Green Bay’s Notre Dame Academy.

Striker
01-02-2015, 02:21 PM
You'd have to think he's near the front of the line to succeed Thompson at some point.

denverYooper
01-02-2015, 03:46 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-X5ZhyOA8kB0/Taxo6qwbDvI/AAAAAAAAAaA/peMAY6gvc8Q/s1600/pulpfiction00003.png

If I'm curt with you, it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast, and I need you two guys to act fast if you want to get out of this. So pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the fucking car.

denverYooper
01-02-2015, 03:48 PM
It sure looks like they're growing Wolf into the next GM.

I had heard rumors that Green Bay's GM gig would be Schneider's dream job, also.

Carolina_Packer
01-02-2015, 04:34 PM
Who left the Packers to create this promotion opportunity for Wolf?

woodbuck27
01-02-2015, 05:04 PM
You'd have to think he's near the front of the line to succeed Thompson at some point.

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/17082/packers-promote-eliot-wolf-try-to-keep-scouting-department-intact

Packers promote Eliot Wolf, try to keep scouting department intact

January, 2, 2015 4:35 PM ET

By: Rob Demovsky | ESPN.com

Comment woodbuck27:

If Eliot Wolf is desiring the Packers GM position I trust he's a patient man.

and in other news as I'm sure many here remember her famous character on TV:

Elly May Clampett (Donna Douglas) passed away today Jan 2, 2015 at the age of 82 years.

http://41.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lil7a3UAkr1qc1yc7o1_500.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRpSbDotjPJ6aCOvco0KdL1kioU2toHN OgoH7b2evubqn0cihBy

Wasn't she something !

smuggler
01-02-2015, 05:07 PM
Who left the Packers to create this promotion opportunity for Wolf?

McKenzie? Has it been vacant since then?

Striker
01-02-2015, 09:20 PM
McKenzie? Has it been vacant since then?

I think so.

pbmax
01-02-2015, 09:41 PM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 3h3 hours ago
Was in charge of pro personnel. Now oversees pro and college. RT @jbrown4215: Can you clarify the difference in responsibility for Wolf?

mraynrand
01-02-2015, 11:01 PM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 3h3 hours ago
Was in charge of pro personnel. Now oversees pro and college. RT @jbrown4215: Can you clarify the difference in responsibility for Wolf?

Does this place him above Gutekunst (dir. of college scouting)?
So what does TT do now - micromanage Stubby?

pbmax
01-02-2015, 11:24 PM

A1: Yes

A2: Kwai Chang 'Ted' Thompson travels the West, looking for a long lost half-brother Reinfeldt. Once reunited, he hopes to avenge the death of their Father, Master Wolf, at the hands of the Emperor's evil son Pear Sherman, a dangerous bureaucrat, tactician, napper and usurper of authority.

Striker
01-02-2015, 11:43 PM

I'd guess at some point Wolf starts to take over leaving Thompson to advise and scout with Wolf eventually moving to full time GM and Thompson doing what he likes best, hitting the road and scouting.

Patler
01-03-2015, 06:04 AM
Probably done because another team was sniffing around Wolf with an offer. An excuse to give him a pay raise so he would stay.
I doubt he will be TT's immediate successor. Too young for the Packers. In fact, I expect he will leave at some point to diversify his experience. Could be the successor to TT's successor, eventually.

Smeefers
01-03-2015, 07:44 AM
I went to High School with Wolf, I wasn't buds with him or anything, but I remember him telling a story about how he scouted some players for the Atlanta Falcons when he was 17 or so. He's been in the personnel game since he was a kid. I hope he does well.

mraynrand
01-03-2015, 08:15 AM
Probably done because another team was sniffing around Wolf with an offer. An excuse to give him a pay raise so he would stay.
I doubt he will be TT's immediate successor. Too young for the Packers. In fact, I expect he will leave at some point to diversify his experience. Could be the successor to TT's successor, eventually.

So they're gonna give him a raise and an increase in responsibility only to let him get away just to bring him back? Because he's 'too young?' Dude has been in football since he was 10 years old, writing reports at the combine with his dad. He's been writing player profiles on the entire league since 1992. IMO, This is just another step in the inevitable transition and eventual ascension to the throne. They are never going to let him out of Green Bay.

Patler
01-03-2015, 09:54 AM
So they're gonna give him a raise and an increase in responsibility only to let him get away just to bring him back? Because he's 'too young?' Dude has been in football since he was 10 years old, writing reports at the combine with his dad. He's been writing player profiles on the entire league since 1992. IMO, This is just another step in the inevitable transition and eventual ascension to the throne. They are never going to let him out of Green Bay.

I wasn't suggesting it was GB's plan to let him go and hire him back. I just think that might be how it plays out. I think eventually it will be his decision to leave, because he will have an opportunity GB can't/won't match at that time.

I'm sure they don't want him to leave. He got a promotion a few years ago when another team expressed interest in him for their scouting department. This might be another one to keep him around, but I'm not sure what else they have to offer him after this. Assistant GM, maybe?

I expect TT to retire at the end of this contract. Five years from now, Wolf will be 36, or whatever. I just don't see GB hiring a GM that young. Not that there is anything wrong with it, it just doesn't "feel" like GB to me. Because of that, I think he will leave. Whether he ever comes back or not is anyone's guess.

pbmax
01-03-2015, 10:29 AM
It almost certainly was because of team's sniffing around, maybe even his Dad who is consulting for the Jets on their GM search. The Bills, Jets, Bears, Eagles^, Redskins, Oakland* are all looking for GM/Director of Player Personnel.

It's another step closer but Schneider still has him beat on the resume.

* Reggie is safe for now but Davis seemed to contemplate dumping him for the right coach who wanted his own guy.
^ Eagles need DPP to report to Chip Kelly.

mraynrand
01-03-2015, 12:19 PM
I expect TT to retire at the end of this contract. Five years from now, Wolf will be 36, or whatever. I just don't see GB hiring a GM that young. Not that there is anything wrong with it, it just doesn't "feel" like GB to me. Because of that, I think he will leave. Whether he ever comes back or not is anyone's guess.

I gotcha. The difference I think will be 1) Wolf will have 25 years experience by then and 2) They will not let him get away. Schneider - better resume sure, but 3) a 36 year old GM locked up for life - if he's good it could set the Packers up for another generation.

Patler
01-03-2015, 12:31 PM
I gotcha. The difference I think will be 1) Wolf will have 25 years experience by then and 2) They will not let him get away. Schneider - better resume sure, but 3) a 36 year old GM locked up for life - if he's good it could set the Packers up for another generation.

I don't disagree with any of that, but I just can't see the Packers going with a "kid" GM.

I wonder how Wolf and MM get along? I suspect MM will want to continue coaching after TT retires.

denverYooper
01-03-2015, 12:36 PM
I wasn't suggesting it was GB's plan to let him go and hire him back. I just think that might be how it plays out. I think eventually it will be his decision to leave, because he will have an opportunity GB can't/won't match at that time.

I'm sure they don't want him to leave. He got a promotion a few years ago when another team expressed interest in him for their scouting department. This might be another one to keep him around, but I'm not sure what else they have to offer him after this. Assistant GM, maybe?

It's another step closer but Schneider still has him beat on the resume.

I would not be too surprised to see Schneider eventually take the GM job after Ted retires. He'd be in his late 40's with several successful years under his belt in Seattle and a little birdie has indicated that he'd love to be GM in Green Bay.

Patler
01-03-2015, 12:41 PM
I would not be too surprised to see Schneider eventually take the GM job after Ted retires. He'd be in his late 40's with several successful years under his belt in Seattle and a little birdie has indicated that he'd love to be GM in Green Bay.

Agreed, although with more and more success out there, it might be more and more difficult to leave. On the other hand, he doesn't have complete player control in Seattle like he would have in GB, so that could be appealing.

denverYooper
01-03-2015, 01:06 PM
Agreed, although with more and more success out there, it might be more and more difficult to leave. On the other hand, he doesn't have complete player control in Seattle like he would have in GB, so that could be appealing.

Yeah. It'll be interesting to see how the next few years go for him with Wilson's contracts coming up.

pbmax
01-03-2015, 03:18 PM
I know M3 and Schneider are close (didn't JS introduce M3 to his current wife? or did he punch a coach?) but I also seem to remember a story that Wolf and M3 get along as well. Can't remember the details.

pittstang5
01-08-2015, 09:27 AM
Just saw this -

http://phi.247sports.com/Bolt/Report-Kelly-Targets-Packers-Wolf-For-Eagles-Post-34512299

woodbuck27
01-08-2015, 09:40 AM
Just saw this -

http://phi.247sports.com/Bolt/Report-Kelly-Targets-Packers-Wolf-For-Eagles-Post-34512299

That one seems like a no way.

It seems too me that Eliot Wolf would be wise to stay in Green Bay.

Now ..... a boat load of money is a powerful magnet.

Packers4Glory
01-08-2015, 10:06 AM

I'd say chicago was looking to raid our henhouse and steal Wolf. I know he was mentioned more than a few times on the chicago sports radio airways just before this was announced.