PDA

View Full Version : Tackling

pbmax
01-03-2015, 11:17 AM
Talking about coachable technique here. Watching a game (want to say Seattle) the color guy was prattling on about tackling technique. I think he was relating a conversation with R Sherman.

Sherm was saying that once you learned the basic techniques the staff taught you, it was simple to apply on the field, allowing for the individuals to quickly gel and get maximum performance.

Color guy labeled the tackling technique preferred by the staff as grab and twist (might have been slightly different word choice, but that was the gist). At the time, I assumed this applied mainly to DBs.

What would you call the Packers technique? What do Whitt and Perry coach? If I had to guess, it would be 'knock the pins out'. Meaning to always got for the legs. Or maybe 'eat a stiff arm'.

Any ideas?

channtheman
01-03-2015, 11:59 AM
I think our technique is called "grab, then miss."

Maxie the Taxi
01-03-2015, 12:12 PM
I want to say I heard the same conversation, but I think it was a bowl game broadcast. The announcer said the head coach of the college in the bowl game had connections with Seattle and taught the same technique to his players. What I remember hearing was something like you wrap your arms around the ball carrier's waist, slide and twist.

As I recall, the bowl team in question was excellent at tackling.

I don't know what technique (if any) the Packers teach, but they have been tackling better recently.

mraynrand
01-03-2015, 12:20 PM
I don't know what technique (if any) the Packers teach, but they have been tackling better recently.

close your eyes and pray

Patler
01-03-2015, 12:36 PM
Don't know what they teach, but Matthews very definite uses a "hug and twist" technique. Sometime it looks like he is trying to separate QBs/RBs at their waists, torsos from legs.

Patler
01-03-2015, 12:37 PM
close your eyes and pray

I see that technique frequently in Packer games, usually by opposing DBs trying to tackle Lacy.

pbmax
01-03-2015, 03:16 PM
In the open field, players often resort to whatever they can reach and that explains some of the diving at feet. The play in progress when this discussion occurred was a tackle by a CB or safety just inside the tackle box, so the RB or receiver had a small amount of room to maneuver.

In the open field, I would prefer to see the Packers be more aware of where their help is (and where their leverage should be) and then be more aggressive, step close and grab.

It has been better since the Saints game.

Maxie the Taxi
01-03-2015, 03:19 PM
All these guys seem to go for the strip nowadays. (You know the drill: like trying to start a chain saw.)

It's fine if the ball carrier is going down, but too often you see it by the first "tackler" to reach the ball carrier.

woodbuck27
01-03-2015, 03:24 PM
Grab that guy and then TWIST that guy and he'll fall.

It simply makes sense the way tackling is taught in Seattle.

I watch Packer games and the defense for this technique being employed or not.

Too often it's simply a whhhiiiiffff ! Worse the defensive player gets caught not even trying to tackle.

It's like ..... " if I try and miss I'll look foolish ".

Try to tackle that guy !!!

Get to the guy with the ball ASAP and get him on the ground. How hard is that to teach?

Joemailman
01-03-2015, 04:23 PM
Don't know what they teach, but Matthews very definite uses a "hug and twist" technique. Sometime it looks like he is trying to separate QBs/RBs at their waists, torsos from legs.

I think he's doing this because he's trying to avoid any helmet-to helmet contact. Or even hand-to-helmet contact in the case of tackling a QB. The rules on helmet contact have forced changes in tackling technique.

red
01-03-2015, 05:02 PM
What would you call the Packers technique?

hit and bounce off

Tyrion Lannister
01-03-2015, 07:47 PM

Ha-Ha's dive at the feet. :x

Tyrion Lannister
01-03-2015, 07:54 PM
Grab that guy and then TWIST that guy and he'll fall.

It simply makes sense the way tackling is taught in Seattle.

I watch Packer games and the defense for this technique being employed or not.

Too often it's simply a whhhiiiiffff ! Worse the defensive player gets caught not even trying to tackle.

It's like ..... " if I try and miss I'll look foolish ".

Try to tackle that guy !!!

Get to the guy with the ball ASAP and get him on the ground. How hard is that to teach?

Also, I see defensive players standing around too often, especially Hawk, when someone else is engaged in the ball carrier.

In Seattle, all 11 guys on the defense run to the ball and gang bang the carrier into oblivion.

mraynrand
01-03-2015, 08:47 PM
I think he's doing this because he's trying to avoid any helmet-to helmet contact. Or even hand-to-helmet contact in the case of tackling a QB. The rules on helmet contact have forced changes in tackling technique.

good call