PDA

View Full Version : Call that shall live in infamy

Harlan Huckleby
01-04-2015, 07:27 PM
http://cbssports.com/images/blogs/pass-interference-or-not.jpg

It was a flagrant PI. You only reverse a call when it is flagrant mistake. Fishy.

Rastak
01-04-2015, 07:30 PM
Face gaurding isn't a PI call anymore......that was changed a few years ago if I am not mistaken. Did he make contact? I thought he did.

Harlan Huckleby
01-04-2015, 07:31 PM
Face gaurding isn't a PI call anymore......that was changed a few years ago if I am not mistaken. Did he make contact? I thought he did.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24935795/officials-pick-up-flag-for-pass-interference-cowboys-benefit

They have video there. Defender banged him on shoulder. It was PI.

Tyrion Lannister
01-04-2015, 07:37 PM
Karma for the Golden Tate's heinous push-off of Shields in the Fail Mary game.

mraynrand
01-04-2015, 07:43 PM
after all the 'emphasis' placed on PI in the preseason, all the ricky tack calls made throughout the season, they PICK UP THE FLAG, when everyone who knows what PI is, knows that was PI. Shameful. But hey, at least everyone can get the 'great matchup' that they wanted in Green Bay. The refs are frauds. The NFL is fraudulent. Carry on.

texaspackerbacker
01-04-2015, 07:44 PM
Karma for the Golden Tate's heinous push-off of Shields in the Fail Mary game.

EXACTLY! Yeah, it probably was PI - the replay actually looked worse than live action - contact before the ball got there, but whatever! Shit Happens!

Tyrion Lannister
01-04-2015, 07:46 PM
after all the 'emphasis' placed on PI in the preseason, all the ricky tack calls made throughout the season, they PICK UP THE FLAG, when everyone who knows what PI is, knows that was PI. Shameful. But hey, at least everyone can get the 'great matchup' that they wanted in Green Bay. The refs are frauds. The NFL is fraudulent. Carry on.

Yeah, and an all-star crew was on hand. That ain't no replacement refs.

Harlan Huckleby
01-04-2015, 07:47 PM
They need to make PI reviewable. A challenge would have won there.

Teamcheez1
Not to mention that Dez Bryant ran out on the field after the call (with his helmet off) screaming at the officials. This was an epic fail by the ref on many levels.

mraynrand
EXACTLY! Yeah, it probably was PI - the replay actually looked worse than live action - contact before the ball got there, but whatever! Shit Happens!

It wasn't an error, it was deliberate. Probably another false flag operation.

Harlan Huckleby
01-04-2015, 07:49 PM

I agree that shit happens. Ref errors are part of game.

But it looked like PI live, the contact was blatant.

Tyrion Lannister
01-04-2015, 07:49 PM
Not to mention that Dez Bryant ran out on the field after the call (with his helmet off) screaming at the officials. This was an epic fail by the ref on many levels.

I mentioned that in the GameDay thread, but everyone but Harlan ignored it. lol

mraynrand
01-04-2015, 07:50 PM
Yeah, and an all-star crew was on hand. That ain't no replacement refs.

that reversal came from "New York"

pbmax
01-04-2015, 08:19 PM
From New York it did come and here is the guy who ordered it, Dean Blandino, pictured here stepping off the Cowboys' Party Bus last year. He was plied with booze and pretty ladies. If the Cowboys were hosting this game, Jerry's party investment would be paying off a 1,000% ROI. As it stands, might only be 100%.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--VP-ysANU--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/ats0wfdudwsrqct9b4kh.png

http://deadspin.com/nfl-execs-pissed-that-head-of-officiating-seen-on-cowbo-1618048217

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24652025/is-this-the-nfl-ref-czar-on-cowboys-party-bus-irate-nfl-execs-say-yes

mraynrand
01-04-2015, 08:21 PM
^^^ Nice recall.

pbmax
01-04-2015, 08:24 PM
^^^ Nice recall.

Wish I could take credit. Its all over the Internet again.

ThunderDan
01-04-2015, 08:38 PM

And they would have had to call offensive PI also on review. Pettigrew pushed up the defenders facemask.

pbmax
01-04-2015, 08:58 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B6jb-lNIYAEY8is.jpg

pbmax
01-04-2015, 08:59 PM
Another ref on Twitter says that Bryant should definitely have been flagged for being on the field.

Jim Daopoulos ‏@RefereeJimD 3h3 hours ago
And yes Dez Bryant Should have been penalized for being on the field without a helmet. Really confusing situation!

Cheesehead Craig
01-04-2015, 09:39 PM
I thought that Pettigrew got away with a blatant stiff arm on the LB anyways. Shitty throw by Stafford and I'm glad it turned out to be a no-call.

Here's the play:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/dallas-cowboys/0ap3000000454201/Referees-throw-late-flag-pick-it-up

Freak Out
01-04-2015, 09:49 PM
Per usual the officiating has been all over the place tis year.

gbgary
01-04-2015, 10:02 PM
faceguarding is their made up 'out'. that had to be thought up afterward. there was more than enough contact on that play to warrant pi. horrible call.

digitaldean
01-04-2015, 10:37 PM
Even if there was no PI on the play... Dez Bryant running onto the field without a helmet to protest should have been 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct...period. When i saw him storm on I thought Detroit would get 2 penalties worth of yardage.

Instead they get screwed out of one for sure first down. Pretty pathetically handled by Morelli. Another reason why these "all-star" crews are problematic.

smuggler
01-04-2015, 11:00 PM
Yeah. It was handled poorly. Should probably have been PI in the first place, but the way they called it late, picked it up, didn't flag Dez were all shameful.

woodbuck27
01-05-2015, 04:58 AM

Something must be done there.

The defensive and offensive PI calls have become such a huge issue in regards to game outcomes.

woodbuck27
01-05-2015, 05:17 AM
https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/five-reasons-the-detroit-lions-can-t-complain-about-the-non-call-013921557.html

Five reasons the Detroit Lions can't complain about The Non-Call

By: Frank Schwab .... 9 hours ago

Comment woodbuck27:

That non PI call left the Lions with a 4th and 1.

I felt that Jim Caldwell had to go for the dagger right there rather than punt.

If the Lions do get a first down and drive for a TD their up TEN points. That's better than remaining up 'only 3 points'.

If they go up 10 Dallas gets the ball back with 2-3 minutes remaining on the clock; but that TEN represents 2 scores.

A lot from that point on has to go right for Dallas to pull out a win in regulation time.

Patler
01-05-2015, 05:27 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24935795/officials-pick-up-flag-for-pass-interference-cowboys-benefit

They have video there. Defender banged him on shoulder. It was PI.

I thought that Pettigrew got away with a blatant stiff arm on the LB anyways. Shitty throw by Stafford and I'm glad it turned out to be a no-call.

Here's the play:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/dallas-cowboys/0ap3000000454201/Referees-throw-late-flag-pick-it-up

If you look at only the tail end of the play from Harlan's link, it sure looks like PI on the linebacker.
BUT, if you look at the more extended replay sequence from several angles in Cheesehead Craig's link, you get a different picture of the play.

Pettigrew clearly hooks the linebackers facemask and forces downward. He clearly holds of the defender at the least. Probably as a result, the defender somewhat stumbles; however, he does contact and push Pettigrew's shoulder. The ball was so poorly thrown, it hits the linebacker in the back. Recognizing that faceguarding is not a penalty, I think it is a good no call in playoff football because there could have been PI either way, and the sequence was actually initiated by Pettigrew. The shove on the shoulder was no more significant than the facemask hook.

However, Dez Bryant running out there as he did should have been a no-brainer. I didn't see it live, and envisioned it as a ticky-tac violation for wondering onto the field. I didn't realize that he ran right to the point of the action. There shouldn't be any judgement involved in that one, should there?

woodbuck27
01-05-2015, 05:48 AM
If you look at only the tail end of the play from Harlan's link, it sure looks like PI on the linebacker.
BUT, if you look at the more extended replay sequence from several angles in Cheesehead Craig's link, you get a different picture of the play.

Pettigrew clearly hooks the linebackers facemask and forces downward. He clearly holds of the defender at the least. Probably as a result, the defender somewhat stumbles; however, he does contact and push Pettigrew's shoulder. The ball was so poorly thrown, it hits the linebacker in the back. Recognizing that faceguarding is not a penalty, I think it is a good no call in playoff football because there could have been PI either way, and the sequence was actually initiated by Pettigrew. The shove on the shoulder was no more significant than the facemask hook.

However, Dez Bryant running out there as he did should have been a no-brainer. I didn't see it live, and envisioned it as a ticky-tac violation for wondering onto the field. I didn't realize that he ran right to the point of the action. There shouldn't be any judgement involved in that one, should there?

What's done is done but for the sake of the game:

I see it like you do Patler. The shove to Pettigrew's right shoulder was incidental as a result of forward momentum and not an intention to foul. Look how fast Hitchens withdraws his left hand.

I also had an angle that certainly appeared to show the Lions TE Brandon Pettigrew hooking Dallas LB Anthony Hitchens face mask.

I don't feel the receiver should be allowed to do that. Palm striking the defenders face mask might be allowed but not hooking the defenders face mask.

I completely missed the Dez Bryant spaz. That man's intense.

I'm guessing the Dez Bryant 'he's just intense' RULE was in effect. :whaa:

woodbuck27
01-05-2015, 06:06 AM

Hi Patler: Read the bottom of this LINK:

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nf...013921557.html

mraynrand
01-05-2015, 06:19 AM
And they would have had to call offensive PI also on review. Pettigrew pushed up the defenders facemask.

fine. offsetting. Still a totally blow call. You're just saying they *ucked it up even more! lol.

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-05-2015, 06:25 AM
Just a really weird play, from announcing the PI and then picking up the flag with no explanation to Dez running out on the field with no helmet and not getting flagged. This has to be an embaressment to the NFL so I am expecting some lame excuse and/or weak apology to try to make it go away.

Fritz
01-05-2015, 06:39 AM
That was some keystone cops officiating, and does open the NFL up to calls of favoritism - not even the PI so much as the non-call on Lez Bryant.

But that was a Matt Stafford Special anyway, that throw. Hit the defender in the back! And the Lions had many opportunities to win that game in other parts, including having the NFL's top-ranked defense yet blowing a 13 point third quarter lead.

Can the Packer defense play well enough to slow down the Cowboy offense in a significant way? Can they stop the run?

woodbuck27
01-05-2015, 06:49 AM
That was some keystone cops officiating, and does open the NFL up to calls of favoritism - not even the PI so much as the non-call on Lez Bryant.

But that was a Matt Stafford Special anyway, that throw. Hit the defender in the back! And the Lions had many opportunities to win that game in other parts, including having the NFL's top-ranked defense yet blowing a 13 point third quarter lead.

Can the Packer defense play well enough to slow down the Cowboy offense in a significant way? Can they stop the run?

The Green Bay Packers must play their best game of the year to defeat the Cowboys.

** Does Dallas own the NFL officiating!?

** Tony Romo appears to be on a mission. He wants to get his team back to Seattle this year.

** The Boys are all over the Packers at the TE position.

** Demarco Murray is huge and add that to Bryant, Williams and Beasley and the Packers run and pass defense will be severely tested.

There's one thing that can screw all those positives up !

GO PACKERS ! GO PACK GO !

mraynrand
01-05-2015, 07:04 AM
Witten is not much more than a possession TE right now. Williams and Beasley are JAG. Bryant is a talented firecracker, who can be contained by pretty pedestrian d-backs. Murray (hurt) and the Dallas O-line are very good, but not great.

mraynrand
01-05-2015, 07:04 AM
The Green Bay Packers must paly their best game of the year to defeat the Cowboys.

Especially if Dallas gets AJ Green (concussion) back. :)

denverYooper
01-05-2015, 07:22 AM
Especially if Dallas gets AJ Green (concussion) back. :)

With AJ Green and Dez Bryant they have a pretty talented duo of wideouts.

Patler
01-05-2015, 07:32 AM
Hi Patler: Read the bottom of this LINK:

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nf...013921557.html

'Morning Woodbuck;

Is this link correct? I'm not sure what you want me to read on the page linked.

hoosier
01-05-2015, 08:05 AM
The Green Bay Packers must play their best game of the year to defeat the Cowboys.

** Does Dallas own the NFL officiating!?

** Tony Romo appears to be on a mission. He wants to get his team back to Seattle this year.

** The Boys are all over the Packers at the TE position.

** Demarco Murray is huge and add that to Bryant, Williams and Beasley and the Packers run and pass defense will be severely tested.

Nah, they had to play their best game of the year to beat New England. If they play that well against Dallas they will win handily.

denverYooper
01-05-2015, 08:07 AM
Nah, they had to play their best game of the year to beat New England. If they play that well against Dallas they will win handily.

Agree.

woodbuck27
01-05-2015, 08:08 AM
'Morning Woodbuck;

Is this link correct? I'm not sure what you want me to read on the page linked.

Sorry Patler this is the LINK:

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/five-reasons-the-detroit-lions-can-t-complain-about-the-non-call-013921557.html

At the bottom of the article read:

It is not a clear-cut penalty.

Fritz
01-05-2015, 08:09 AM
Here's my best Woodbuck:

The GREEN BAY PACKERS special teams must play "the game of their life." The defense needs to "control Murray," but MUST be careful. That Dallas QB is "on a mission."

woodbuck27
01-05-2015, 08:09 AM

That clears up any concern. :-)

pbmax
01-05-2015, 08:11 AM
You are all wrong. It was defensive holding before the pass when he grabbed his jersey.

mraynrand
01-05-2015, 08:11 AM
You are all wrong. It was defensive holding before the pass when he grabbed his jersey.

that too

woodbuck27
01-05-2015, 08:12 AM
With AJ Green and Dez Bryant they have a pretty talented duo of wideouts.

Wow !

AJ Green is now a Cowboy. Was that trade legal?

Jerral Wayne "Jerry" Jones Sr. will do anything to win. Even trade for a concussed player.

mraynrand
01-05-2015, 08:15 AM
Wow !

AJ Green is now a Cowboy. Was that trade legal?

Jerral Wayne "Jerry" Jones Sr. will do anything to win. Even trade for a concussed player.

fraudulent

Patler
01-05-2015, 08:26 AM

Of the three transgressions, jersey grab, facemask tug and shoulder shove; The most significant and of longest duration looks to be the facemask, but all in all none seems overly significant. I don't mind the "no call" result at all.

pbmax
01-05-2015, 08:35 AM
Of the three transgressions, jersey grab, facemask tug and shoulder shove; The most significant and of longest duration looks to be the facemask, but all in all none seems overly significant. I don't mind the "no call" result at all.

I agree on significance. But every infraction on this play was a point of emphasis this season. If you call it based on how significant the effect was, you have NBA style refereeing.

mraynrand
01-05-2015, 08:47 AM

well, there are three penalties on the play, so I mind. Especially given the 'emphasis.' If they're gonna let 'em play, then be consistent. Have that be the rule. It's the inconsistency and the shifting sands of the rules that's the problem.

ThunderDan
01-05-2015, 08:49 AM
fine. offsetting. Still a totally blow call. You're just saying they *ucked it up even more! lol.

I guess what I am really saying is if you review plays for penalties (especially PI) you are going to find penalties on both teams on every play.

Pugger
01-05-2015, 09:18 AM

If you watch the replay closely you'll see the Lion WR grabbing Hitchens' facemask so even if he wanted to turn towards the ball he couldn't. The correct call should have been hands to the face and PI - offsetting penalties.

pbmax
01-05-2015, 09:18 AM
Having trouble with video since computer update. Is the facemask before this sequence?

http://s3.amazonaws.com/br-cdn/temp_images/2015/01/05/4906f5d8dc8ac91ad283f689cdf2f405.gif?1420461667

Pugger
01-05-2015, 09:20 AM
Even if there was no PI on the play... Dez Bryant running onto the field without a helmet to protest should have been 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct...period. When i saw him storm on I thought Detroit would get 2 penalties worth of yardage.

Instead they get screwed out of one for sure first down. Pretty pathetically handled by Morelli. Another reason why these "all-star" crews are problematic.

I forgot about Dez running out there. What is with this clown? Did you see him screaming at teammates after the game as they walked back to their locker room?

pbmax
01-05-2015, 09:21 AM
I guess what I am really saying is if you review plays for penalties (especially PI) you are going to find penalties on both teams on every play.

I agree with this. Which is why the calls should ALWAYS be made. Judgement about how much the infraction affected the play is too much to ask and gets you crowd affected refereeing.

As dumb as the possession rules were in the end zone seemed initially, they don't get those wrong much anymore, do they? Uniform calls, made every time, fans and players adapt.

pbmax
01-05-2015, 09:23 AM
Tanier:

A shady Fox executive, played by Steve Buscemi, calls Roger Goodell. "We can't sell Lions-Seahawks and Panthers-Packers. It would be a ratings disaster. No national juice whatsoever. We need Cowboys-Packers, Ice Bowl, frozen tundra. That pass interference call cannot stand."

Goodell orders Vice President of Officiating Dean Blandino to contact Morelli and overturn the call. "It will take me at least an hour to come up with a good excuse!" Blandino complains.

Goodell calls the Cowboys owner's box. Jerry Jones hands the phone to New Jersey governor Chris Christie. Only quick decisions by Blandino and Morelli prevent every road within 15 miles of Blandino's home from being closed for the rest of January. "Just pick the flag up," Blandino orders Morelli. "Don't explain it!"

Everyone from Tony Dungy to Samuel L. Jackson complains about the call on Twitter.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2319173-mike-taniers-monday-morning-hangover-colts-cam-cowboys-conspiracy

Pugger
01-05-2015, 09:24 AM

Why do they break up officiating teams for the playoffs? Could this be causing some of the confusion we are seeing?

Patler
01-05-2015, 09:24 AM
I agree on significance. But every infraction on this play was a point of emphasis this season. If you call it based on how significant the effect was, you have NBA style refereeing.

When was the point of emphasis? Preseason. I didn't see any ramifications from it at all during the season. How many times did we see grabs of Nelson's jersey during the year that were not called? How many times did we see Nelson give the DB a little nudge just before the ball arrived? That stuff happens all the time, and is usually called only when it is prolonged, blatant or when it impacts the play in an obvious manner.

Pugger
01-05-2015, 09:28 AM
well, there are three penalties on the play, so I mind. Especially given the 'emphasis.' If they're gonna let 'em play, then be consistent. Have that be the rule. It's the inconsistency and the shifting sands of the rules that's the problem.

But even if all 3 are called it is still offsetting, right?

Patler
01-05-2015, 09:28 AM
[QUOTE=pbmax;818710]Having trouble with video since computer update. Is the facemask before this sequence?

Yes, just before it. The linebacker's head bobs up and down twice because of it. You can see it clearly in one of the last angles shown in Cheesehead Craig's link.

Pugger
01-05-2015, 09:30 AM
When was the point of emphasis? Preseason. I didn't see any ramifications from it at all during the season. How many times did we see grabs of Nelson's jersey during the year that were not called? How many times did we see Nelson give the DB a little nudge just before the ball arrived? That stuff happens all the time, and is usually called only when it is prolonged, blatant or when it impacts the play in an obvious manner.

Yes, they tried to make it an emphasis in the preseason but we didn't see it materialize once the regular season began.

pbmax
01-05-2015, 09:31 AM

It carried through, though not uniformly, the majority of the season.

http://nflsavant.com/apps/penaltyCompare.php

DPI actually went down 33
D Holding went up 105
Illegal Use Hands went up 119
OPI went up 64
Illegal Contact went up 88

woodbuck27
01-05-2015, 09:31 AM
If you watch the replay closely you'll see the Lion WR grabbing Hitchens' facemask so even if he wanted to turn towards the ball he couldn't. The correct call should have been hands to the face and PI - offsetting penalties.

Your probably correct in the minds of the officials at the time it all went down.

Unfortunately that and.... not knowing one another well enough being an ALL STAR Team of Officials and such.

and ...Juggling the red flag and microphone an announcement of the official explanation became well ... all too complicated.

pbmax
01-05-2015, 09:33 AM
Here is the graph of the chart of penalties, 2013:2014

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k75/paisans_2006/chart.png

woodbuck27
01-05-2015, 09:37 AM
Here's my best Woodbuck:

The GREEN BAY PACKERS special teams must play "the game of their life." The defense needs to "control Murray," but MUST be careful. That Dallas QB is "on a mission."

No no NO !

The GREEN BAY PACKERS ST's must play ' the game of their life '.

The Packer 'D' needs to 'control Demarco Murray' and not ignore the potent Dallas passing attack.

Why?

Dallas QB Tony Romo is on a mission. He likes it in Seattle.

vince
01-05-2015, 09:37 AM
This I think gets to the crux of the matter on this play. The push by Pettigrew was ticky-tack and would not normally be called. The PI by Hitchens was blatant and would be called damn near every time - except this one.

woodbuck27
01-05-2015, 09:45 AM
Where are:

Offensive and defensive pass interference (PI) penalties?

I learned some weeks ago that offensive pass interference calls are way up this season.

Pugger
01-05-2015, 09:47 AM
Where are:

Offensive and defensive pass interference (PI) penalties?

I learned some weeks ago that offensive pass interference calls are way up this season.

I noticed on a couple of the bars there is no description of what they are comparing. :huh:

pbmax
01-05-2015, 10:22 AM
I noticed on a couple of the bars there is no description of what they are comparing. :huh:

Yeah, its an auto-generated image from an interactive graph and the labels didn't some through on some. Here is an edited version with missing labels replace by me.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k75/paisans_2006/chart-1.png

mraynrand
01-05-2015, 10:23 AM

yup

mraynrand
01-05-2015, 10:26 AM

I'm not asking for a review. I'm asking for consistency. And, on the vast, vast majority of plays, a flag isn't thrown and picked up when there are three penalties. It's very poor officiating.

mraynrand
01-05-2015, 10:36 AM

I saw all kinds of small bumps and grabs called that didn't necessarily impact the play in an obvious manner. Also, I don't think " impact the play in an obvious manner" is part of the rule or part of the emphasis. And missed calls (poor officiating) should not be made an excuse for further blown calls.

Furthermore, the 'let 'em play' in the playoffs rule is unfair, since teams base strategies off regular season rule, and changes gives some teams unfair advantage (e.g. Seattle and NE) because they are better at mugging receivers; and some teams disadvantage (e.g. GB). (If you come back and say that teams are aware of different standards in the playoffs, I agree and know that teams like GB will alter strategy to accommodate - but that still doesn't mean it's good officiating).

woodbuck27
01-05-2015, 12:15 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dfJrn?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=nfl

What key players said about pass-interference penalty

By: Dave Birkett, Detroit Free Press 1:52 a.m. EST January 5, 2015

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-05-2015, 01:00 PM
People will be talking about this play for a few days, either justifying to themselves the pickup was correct or complaining that they was robbed, whichever suits their needs. As far as I am concerned, it is over, Cowboys are coming to Green Bay. Let's just hope we don't get a similar call against the Packers on Sunday.

Patler
01-05-2015, 01:07 PM
I saw all kinds of small bumps and grabs called that didn't necessarily impact the play in an obvious manner.

More than in previous years? I sure did not. Part way through the season there was an article that indicated PI was not up at all compared to previous years. If they were calling it tighter, you would expect some increase as players learned the new boundaries. (Edit - Perhaps there was when PB's chart is considered, indicating an actual increase.)

Also, I don't think " impact the play in an obvious manner" is part of the rule or part of the emphasis. And missed calls (poor officiating) should not be made an excuse for further blown calls.

Did I say it was part of the rule? No I did not, nor did I state it in isolation. BUT it or something similar to it, and the other qualifiers I mentioned, along with probably still aothers are part of the practical application of the rule. Just like every hold by the O-line is not penalized, nor every nudge by a WR against a DB, nor every contact by a DB beyond 5 yards. None of these are applied literally in every instance. All are applied with some level of discretion.

Furthermore, the 'let 'em play' in the playoffs rule is unfair, since teams base strategies off regular season rule, and changes gives some teams unfair advantage (e.g. Seattle and NE) because they are better at mugging receivers; and some teams disadvantage (e.g. GB). (If you come back and say that teams are aware of different standards in the playoffs, I agree and know that teams like GB will alter strategy to accommodate - but that still doesn't mean it's good officiating).

It's unfair to GB. Were you complaining about it being unfair in the playoffs following the 2010 season when Woodson was mugging receivers with virtual impunity?

Harlan Huckleby
01-05-2015, 01:10 PM
You could argue that there should have been offsetting penalties. Or if they had not throw any flag at all, well, PI often gets called wrong. But to pick up the flag after it was called, and very reasonably so, that is crooked.

Harlan Huckleby
01-05-2015, 01:11 PM
People will be talking about this play for a few days, either justifying to themselves the pickup was correct or complaining that they was robbed, whichever suits their needs. As far as I am concerned, it is over, Cowboys are coming to Green Bay. Let's just hope we don't get a similar call against the Packers on Sunday.

You shut the fuck up. It's not over until I say it's over.

Good talk.

Patler
01-05-2015, 01:21 PM
You could argue that there should have been offsetting penalties. Or if they had not throw any flag at all, well, PI often gets called wrong. But to pick up the flag after it was called, and very reasonably so, that is crooked.

Yes, you could say all that. On the other hand, Suh, Raiola and Golden Tate getting screwed over doesn't really feel wrong.

Harlan Huckleby
01-05-2015, 01:26 PM
What I found funny was the quote from the Lions coach. He's not exactly in position to complain about the official getting cold feet, when he just benefited from a ridiculous reversal.

smuggler
01-05-2015, 01:33 PM

Except the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on Dez Bryant, which occurred after the play and would have been applied after the other penalties offset.

Freak Out
01-05-2015, 01:40 PM
As per usual people focus on this kind of stuff when they should be talking about the 10 yard punt, the Loins NOT going for it on 4th and 1 in Dallas territory and the two fumbles from Stafford at the end of the game. The Lions sucked ass when they should have stepped up.

Harlan Huckleby
01-05-2015, 01:44 PM
As per usual people focus on this kind of stuff when they should be talking about the 10 yard punt, the Loins NOT going for it on 4th and 1 in Dallas territory and the two fumbles from Stafford at the end of the game. The Lions sucked ass when they should have stepped up.

ya, I think this is right.

I was listening to Skip Bayless dissect this situation with his customary charm. He said the critics are 100% right on the non-calls. But then Lions proceeded to shit the bed. Cowboys deserve the win.

Patler
01-05-2015, 02:03 PM
I didn't have a problem with the decision to punt. When defense is the strength of your team, and your defense is one of the best in the league, turning the game over to them is not a bad choice. Punting from there should have assured the Cowboys needing at least an 80 yard drive, and likely more. During the regular season, their punter had 29 punts inside the 20, with only 5 touchbacks. You don't expect him to boom a 10 yarder.

I didn't watch the game. What happened on the punt?

Freak Out
01-05-2015, 02:16 PM
Big time shank.

Zool
01-05-2015, 02:18 PM
I was listening to Skip Bayless

Why?

mraynrand
01-05-2015, 02:21 PM

If people focus on this as the sole determining factor in the game, then I agree with you. I find the aspect of officiating to be the most important issue, specifically as to how it relates to one of the most critical calls (or sets of calls) in football - contact between a receiver and defender.

The Lions sucking is another matter, and is pretty much a foregone conclusion. Nothing novel or interesting there.

pbmax
01-05-2015, 02:24 PM

Gassed Lions defense that refused to blitz.

Trust me, I am ready to blast the Loins on all fronts. I will enjoy it for a day. Then on to the Cowboys.

#ClicheInternetFootball

pbmax
01-05-2015, 02:33 PM
I didn't have a problem with the decision to punt. When defense is the strength of your team, and your defense is one of the best in the league, turning the game over to them is not a bad choice. Punting from there should have assured the Cowboys needing at least an 80 yard drive, and likely more. During the regular season, their punter had 29 punts inside the 20, with only 5 touchbacks. You don't expect him to boom a 10 yarder.

I didn't watch the game. What happened on the punt?

That defense had allowed 2 consecutive scoring drives prior. My sense of the second half (a genuine one I can point to in the Wild Card thread) was that Dallas had adjusted well against the Lions defense after halftime.

Midfield 4th and 1 is a good time to go for it with 8 minutes left. Even if you turn it over and allow a score you will have a full complement of TOs and 3 to 4 minutes of time remaining to score. And that is the worst of the downside.

Plus side is taking more time off clock and scoring again. Much too conservative.

pbmax
01-05-2015, 02:35 PM
Brandon says picked up flag infraction was a close call you could see going either way. But the refs are going to get marked down for ignoring the D holding.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/05/dean-blandino-acknowledges-cowboys-got-away-with-one/

And ...

Although some observers have suggested that Pettigrew also should have been flagged for facemasking Hitchens, Blandino says that’s not the case.

“I felt that was minimal contact,” Blandino said of Pettigrew’s contact with Hitchens’s facemask.

smuggler
01-05-2015, 03:20 PM
Watching it live, it looked like a sure-fire penalty. No one could have reasonably complained about it if they'd called pass interference. Instead, they pick up the flag and they have a controversy on their hands. Why?

mraynrand
01-05-2015, 03:22 PM
Watching it live, it looked like a sure-fire penalty. No one could have reasonably complained about it if they'd called pass interference. Instead, they pick up the flag and they have a controversy on their hands. Why?

Dallas at Green Bay

Freak Out
01-05-2015, 04:44 PM
Dallas at Green Bay

This will be the biggest draw of the coming weekend for sure.

Guiness
01-05-2015, 04:49 PM

That's what I said in the thread that was talking about the game. The Lions had the game won, all they had to do was not lose it. And they lost it.

woodbuck27
01-05-2015, 04:50 PM

A voice in the sky spoke to their conscience.

Patler
01-05-2015, 04:55 PM
Big time shank.

Pressure on him, or just a swing and miss?

Freak Out
01-05-2015, 05:06 PM
He just botched it.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000454202/Martin-gets-off-10-yard-punt

Pugger
01-05-2015, 06:20 PM
Why?

Indeed, why would anyone waste time listening to that agitator?

pbmax
01-05-2015, 06:24 PM
Pressure on him, or just a swing and miss?

My guess is that he was trying to go directional/corner to the right (coverage was headed there), because it was a huge mis-hit, but had hang time. It didn't go 25 yards and spin backwards, it was short and way off target.

denverYooper
01-06-2015, 03:26 PM
The league also apologized to the Lions for a missed hold on the Dallas 4-and-7 conversion:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/12129092/nfl-tells-detroit-lions-officials-missed-holding-dallas-cowboys-fourth-conversion

Stafford later could be heard yelling, "Hooome cookin!"

woodbuck27
01-06-2015, 04:47 PM
Except the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on Dez Bryant, which occurred after the play and would have been applied after the other penalties offset.

Comment woodbuck27:

I just read this (below) and will add it here because it outlines the impact (s) the penalty (s) would have had on the Detroit Lions field position.:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/04/cowboys-avoided-another-penalty-on-disputed-play/

Cowboys avoided another penalty on disputed play

Posted by Mike Florio on January 4, 2015, 8:16 PM EST

Tyrion Lannister
01-07-2015, 05:12 AM
According to the NFL, Suh was held on the crucial Romo-Witten 4th down completion. No flag.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/12129092/nfl-tells-detroit-lions-officials-missed-holding-dallas-cowboys-fourth-conversion

I still think Caldwell shoulda gone for it on 4th and 1.