PDA

View Full Version : Keys to Victory

Tyrion Lannister
01-07-2015, 06:11 AM
In the playoffs, winning isn't everything; it's the only thing. Here's what the Packers need to do to ensure themselves another date with the Seagulls. Some keys are obvious like sex and the city.

Rodgers Must Be a Pimp: To quote Kevin Greene, "It is time." Rodgers needs to carry the team and play like an MVP.

Catch The Damn Ball: No easy drops. No tipping balls into defenders hands. No dropping gimme pick, Mr. Hyde.

Stop The Fuckin' Run: Murray is a legit RB. Must neutralize this stud. Cannot allow the Cowchicks to milk the clock.

Pressure Romo: In the Dal-Det game, Romo surprisingly did not choke in the clutch. Pressure Romo early and constantly, and force him into mistakes.

Protect the Rock: I was a Triple H fan, so didn't like the Rock. Good actor, though. But the Packers must protect the rock. No lazy fumble. No pick of any sort.

Shutdown 88: Dez, son of Anita, raped the Packers last season. No more. No more.

Be Aggressive: The math says go for it on 4th and short in the foe's territory. Being conservative is simply giving the foe a chance to win. Just ask Jim Caldwell.

Score STDs: STDs stands for "standard touchdowns." FGs aren't enough in the playoffs.

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-07-2015, 06:48 AM
Rodgers Must Be a Pimp: To quote Kevin Greene, "It is time." Rodgers needs to carry the team and play like an MVP.

I would go a step further and say the whole team needs to play like a pimp. We need another complete game like the Patriots game. Its the fucking playoffs fer christ sakes, we can't afford any weak leaks from here to the super bowl.

Bossman641
01-07-2015, 06:53 AM
Special teams doesn't need to win the game (although that would be nice), but they sure as hell can't lose the game

Joemailman
01-07-2015, 06:58 AM
I think the Packers red zone offense will be the key. The Packers offensive line is playing better than the Cowboys right now. The Packers will be able to move the football against the Dallas defense. But they need touchdowns. Oh, and it would help if Rodgers can play the whole game.

pbmax
01-07-2015, 07:15 AM
They spent part of their time in self scout practices working on red zone.

denverYooper
01-07-2015, 07:42 AM
They spent part of their time in self scout practices working on red zone.

So it's fixed, then ;).

pbmax
01-07-2015, 07:45 AM
So it's fixed, then ;).

Check.

pbmax
01-07-2015, 07:46 AM
Just like they fixed their hammies:

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k75/paisans_2006/b99417941z1_20150107070234_000_gg89ee7i1-0.jpg

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-steps-to-avoid-injuries-work--with-a-little-bit-of-luck-b99417941z1-287768841.html#packers

denverYooper
01-07-2015, 07:47 AM
Joe's point about the red zone is a good one... the Packers could roll up the field all day but if they're only getting 3 each trip, Dallas will hang around.

George Cumby
01-07-2015, 07:51 AM
Score more points than the other team.

vince
01-07-2015, 07:59 AM
I think the keys to victory fall more on the Packers defense than the offense. The Boys D is average and banged up. They give up a lot of explosive plays. Not a great matchup for Dallas on that side of the ball - even if Rodgers can't finish and Flynn's at the helm.

If the Packers can keep Dallas' running game and Witten in check (easier said than done) they'll keep them from moving the chains consistently and win. They may give up a big play or two to Bryant who's size and aggressiveness going and getting the ball will be a tough match for Shields and Tramon - but unless that's combined with a bunch of yards and ToP it won't be enough for Dallas to win.

Dundergenius (and Peppers, Matthews, Hyde, Daniels, Guion, Burnett and HaHa) to the rescue.

SkinBasket
01-07-2015, 08:09 AM
The first Dallas series ends with an INT by 42. That's not a key though. It's going to happen.

Pugger
01-07-2015, 09:28 AM
Joe's point about the red zone is a good one... the Packers could roll up the field all day but if they're only getting 3 each trip, Dallas will hang around.

We did this against NE and is the main reason IMO why that game looked as close as it was.

The Shadow
01-07-2015, 09:32 AM
Send Najeh Davenport to visit their laundry baskets on Saturday night.

hoosier
01-07-2015, 09:37 AM
Romo didn't throw picks against Det but he didn't look all that good either. His accuracy was off and except for the TD to Willliams and one crossing route to Bryant they didn't have big plays in the passing game. The Packers need to get pressure up the middle on passing downs to keep Romo from getting in his groove.

pbmax
01-07-2015, 09:38 AM
Romo didn't throw picks against Det but he didn't look all that good either. His accuracy was off and except for the TD to Willliams and one crossing route to Bryant they didn't have big plays in the passing game. The Packers need to get pressure up the middle on passing downs to keep Romo from getting in his groove.

Would love a pass rush. Rodgers isn't the only beat up QB in this game.

denverYooper
01-07-2015, 09:46 AM
Would love a pass rush. Rodgers isn't the only beat up QB in this game.

Yeah. Romo's been playing with injuries for most of the year. Murray's banged up too and has a ton of carries.

Lacy, by most accounts, is healthy :).

woodbuck27
01-07-2015, 11:57 AM
The Passing Game:

** Aaron Rodgers and Tony Romo are equally efficient. Advantage Rodgers @ home?

Tony Romo is 8-0 on the road this season. They havn't played the Packers this season @ Lambeau field.

The Green Bay Packers get the edge here.

** Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb and Devate Adams Vs Dez Bryant, Terrence Williams and Cole Beasley is basically a saw off.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr

** Jason Witten gives Dallas the edge @ TE.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/te

The Green Bay Packers have the NO. 11 Ranked pass 'D' Vs the Dallas Cowboys NO. 22 ranked pass 'D'.

See the Battle in the trench' s below.

The Running Game:

Demarco Murray is the NO. 1 ranked RB in the NFL right now. Is he 100% ready to go health wise?

By all reports Eddie Lacy is healthy.

It will be the Dallas's NO. 23 Ranked RUSH 'D' Vs the Green Bay NO. 24 Ranked RUSH 'D'.

See the OL and DL's ***

Attention: Dallas has the NFL's NO. 1 Ranked Offensive Line.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/287579621.html

Video: Mike Daniels on facing Dallas' O-Line

By Tyler Dunne of the Journal Sentinel

Jan. 5, 2015

The Offensive and Defensive lines:

It will be the NO. 8 Ranked Green Bay OL Vs the NO. 17 Ranked Dallas DL.

*** It will be the NO. 1 Ranked Dallas OL Vs the NO. 26 Ranked Green Bay DL.

The key to victory for the Green bay Packers:

An effective Aaron Rodgers for a full game.

mraynrand
01-07-2015, 12:22 PM
** Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb and Devate Adams Vs Dez Bryant, Terrence Williams and Cole Beasley is basically a saw off.

** Jason Whitten gives Dallas the edge @ TE.

I disagree with both, and there is no "H" in Witten. Witten at this stage is as much a possession receiver as R. Rodgers. The two are meeting on opposite trajectories.

woodbuck27
01-07-2015, 02:11 PM
The Running Game:

Demarco Murray is the NO. 1 ranked RB in the NFL right now. Is he 100% ready to go health wise?

By all reports Eddie Lacy is healthy.

It will be the Dallas's NO. 23 Ranked RUSH 'D' Vs the Green Bay NO. 24 Ranked RUSH 'D'.

http://www.foxsports.com/wisconsin/story/demarco-murray-will-provide-best-test-for-green-bay-packers-improved-run-defense-010515

Cowboys' Murray will provide 'best test' for Packers' improved run defense

Paul Imig ... FOX Sports Wisconsin

05, 2015 9:30p ET

King Friday
01-07-2015, 08:39 PM
I disagree with both, and there is no "H" in Witten. Witten at this stage is as much a possession receiver as R. Rodgers. The two are meeting on opposite trajectories.

Witten is still a darn good TE. He's not a dominating player like he once was, but he's good for 2-3 first downs every game.

R. Rodgers barely gets 3 passes coming his way during a game.

Witten is clearly better than any TE the Packers have currently.

However, there is no doubt that Jordy/Cobb/Adams are a far better group at receiver than any group the Cowboys have.

George Cumby
01-07-2015, 09:11 PM
Agree with Rand on Rodgers. He's on the rise, I don't know what his ceiling is, but he's getting better and better.

pbmax
01-07-2015, 10:12 PM
Other Rodgers has been praising him quite a bit the last couple of weeks.

King Friday
01-07-2015, 10:44 PM
I'm not poo-pooing Rodgers. He's a good young prospect. I'd rather have him than Witten going forward without question. Witten is going down and Rodgers is going up...but Witten is still on the 40th floor and Rodgers is just leaving the lobby.

HarveyWallbangers
01-07-2015, 11:31 PM
IMHO, Witten is still a lot better than Rodgers.

Bretsky
01-07-2015, 11:52 PM
r u guys serious ?

Rodger's isn't qualified to carry Witten's Jock Strap Yet. They are light years apart.

Perhaps in a couple years

smuggler
01-08-2015, 02:23 AM
Rodgers is an improving player. He could be much better next season. Witten hasn't diminished enough to compare them yet, though.

woodbuck27
01-08-2015, 06:38 AM
I had Jason Witten on one of my Fantasy football teams early in his career and when I used to play.He was special then but his career has been awesome. I've watched his progress and was impressed most years.

*** Jason Witten ranks second all-time in career receptions and receiving yards by an NFL TE and trailing only Tony Gonzalez.

For anyone to imagine that we presently have a TE on the Packer roster that will rise to Jason Witten's level of prominence as an NJFL TE is simply wrong thinking.

Please read this *** again.

Packers4Glory
01-08-2015, 10:04 AM
KEY to victory

Rodgers

subpart B:

how mobile
can we protect
can we run

mraynrand
01-08-2015, 10:13 AM
For anyone to imagine that we presently have a TE on the Packer roster that will rise to Jason Witten's level of prominence as an NJFL TE is simply wrong thinking.

Good thing no one is suggesting this

Packers4Glory
01-08-2015, 10:21 AM
Ugh I just thought of something. Whitten likely means moar brad effing jones. he seems to get a lot of the TE match ups...........

woodbuck27
01-08-2015, 10:40 AM
Ugh I just thought of something. Whitten likely means moar brad effing jones. he seems to get a lot of the TE match ups...........

A scary thought !

George Cumby
01-08-2015, 10:45 AM
Good thing no one is suggesting this

That whole "reading comprehension" thing gets in the way of arguing ones point for the sake of arguing ones point.

Patler
01-08-2015, 10:46 AM
In the playoffs, winning isn't everything; it's the only thing. Here's what the Packers need to do to ensure themselves another date with the Seagulls. Some keys are obvious like sex and the city.

Catch The Damn Ball: No easy drops. No tipping balls into defenders hands. No dropping gimme pick, Mr. Hyde.

Stop The Fuckin' Run: Murray is a legit RB. Must neutralize this stud. Cannot allow the Cowchicks to milk the clock.

Pressure Romo: In the Dal-Det game, Romo surprisingly did not choke in the clutch. Pressure Romo early and constantly, and force him into mistakes.

Protect the Rock: I was a Triple H fan, so didn't like the Rock. Good actor, though. But the Packers must protect the rock. No lazy fumble. No pick of any sort.

Shutdown 88: Dez, son of Anita, raped the Packers last season. No more. No more.

Be Aggressive: The math says go for it on 4th and short in the foe's territory. Being conservative is simply giving the foe a chance to win. Just ask Jim Caldwell.

Score STDs: STDs stands for "standard touchdowns." FGs aren't enough in the playoffs.

In other words, you think they need to play almost perfect on offense AND almost perfect on defense to win this game? Your "keys" list is so long it covers just about everything.

I think there really is only one key - Rodgers' calf. If he isn't overly limited, the Packers should win.

GB's defense is better than the Cowboys defense; and
GB's offense is better than the Cowboys offense, assuming Rodgers is in reasonable health.
Therefore, you don't even need to try to compare GB's offense to the Cowboys defense or the Cowboys offense to the Packers defense. The differential exists for a clear Packer victory.

On second thought, maybe the key is ST's. They could screw up the advantage to GB described above!!

mraynrand
01-08-2015, 10:50 AM

Witten probably means more Hyde and Burnett. If Burnett plays as well as against Ebron - who is much faster than Witten at this point - the Packers will be fine. Even if Witten gets most of his stuff in check downs (which I believe he does) Jones or Matthews or Hayward can chase him down fairly easily). But I share your fear of Jones - he just finds a way to screw things up, even when he makes a good play.

mraynrand
01-08-2015, 10:52 AM
In other words, you think they need to play almost perfect on offense AND almost perfect on defense to win this game? Your "keys" list is so long it covers just about everything.

I think there really is only one key - Rodgers' calf. If he isn't overly limited, the Packers should win.

GB's defense is better than the Cowboys defense; and
GB's offense is better than the Cowboys offense, assuming Rodgers is in reasonable health.
Therefore, you don't even need to try to compare GB's offense to the Cowboys defense or the Cowboys offense to the Packers defense. The differential exists for a clear Packer victory.

On second thought, maybe the key is ST's. They could screw up the advantage to GB described above!!

Smart take. Packers either have to make a lot of mistakes or get injured to lose.

hoosier
01-08-2015, 10:56 AM
The key to victory is getting out to a 35-0 lead in the first half. Two TD passes, one Lacy run, a defensive score and a Hyde punt return. Then, having established that edge, the Pack can slowly pull away in the second half.

Smidgeon
01-08-2015, 11:09 AM

Probably not. Probably more HHCD. He had a lot of Gronk. I expect the same here.

Pugger
01-08-2015, 02:24 PM
IMHO, Witten is still a lot better than Rodgers.

At this point in their careers no question.

Pugger
01-08-2015, 02:25 PM
KEY to victory

Rodgers

subpart B:

how mobile
can we protect
can we run

If we could protect AR and open holes for Eddie against Detroit we should be able to do the same to Dallas' D which isn't as good as the kittens'.

mraynrand
01-08-2015, 02:49 PM
At this point in their careers no question.

Witten is still better of course, but not by as much as people think, and not for long, but that's only IMO.

woodbuck27
01-08-2015, 06:37 PM
I think the keys to victory fall more on the Packers defense than the offense. The Boys D is average and banged up. They give up a lot of explosive plays. Not a great matchup for Dallas on that side of the ball - even if Rodgers can't finish and Flynn's at the helm.

If the Packers can keep Dallas' running game and Witten in check (easier said than done) they'll keep them from moving the chains consistently and win. They may give up a big play or two to Bryant who's size and aggressiveness going and getting the ball will be a tough match for Shields and Tramon - but unless that's combined with a bunch of yards and ToP it won't be enough for Dallas to win.

Dundergenius (and Peppers, Matthews, Hyde, Daniels, Guion, Burnett and HaHa) to the rescue.

The Packers have to demonstrate a solid Run Defense.

ptisme
01-08-2015, 07:50 PM
On defense I see the Cowboys trying to bring a little pressure at first... Maybe from the corner or a safety just to make Rodgers start moving in the cold. If I were the Pack I'd start off with a bunch of short passes just to loosen the Cowboys up a bit and then hammer them with Lacy. On defense I'd go all in on the run and make Romo beat you deep. He will once or twice but better than the defense being on the field all day.

QBME
01-09-2015, 06:38 AM
On defense I see the Cowboys trying to bring a little pressure at first... Maybe from the corner or a safety just to make Rodgers start moving in the cold. If I were the Pack I'd start off with a bunch of short passes just to loosen the Cowboys up a bit and then hammer them with Lacy. On defense I'd go all in on the run and make Romo beat you deep. He will once or twice but better than the defense being on the field all day.

Hey PT - what's your take on the calf injury?

Joemailman
01-09-2015, 08:27 PM
Key to the game: If Murray tries to run up the middle, break his fuckin' neck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGjEZIZQIIk