PDA

View Full Version : Sherman Did NOT Screw Up Da Pack Afterall :D

Tyrion Lannister
01-08-2015, 03:57 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/what-if-tony-romo-had-become-a-packer-b99421331z1-287879551.html

Nice article by the great Bob McGinn detailing how GM/Coach Mike Sherman saved the Packers.

To summarize, during the 2003 NFL draft, Sherman's secondhand man and one of his scouts had hard-ons for Tony Romo. But Sherman had no interest in Romo. Sherman was like, Yo, dawg, we have Favre; Don't wanna be like Wolf and regret not surrounding the greatest QB in NFL history with as much talents as possible.

Sherman didn't even bother call Romo after the draft. Romo signed as an undrafted free agent with the Cowboys.

Consequently, that non-move by Sherman paved the way for Thompson to draft some cocky quarterback from Butte Community College.

Had Sherman drafted or signed Romo, Logan Mankins or Roddy White woulda been Packers, and Aaron Rodgers would be out of the league by now - or winning Super Bowls as a hotshot QB for the Redtails.

Note: My source, freelance writer and ex-NFL Expert for the Washington Post, Norman Chad, just informed me that Thompson, then Holmgren's glorified draft secretary, ranked Romo as high as a 2nd rounder.

Thanks, Shermanator! :D

hoosier
01-08-2015, 04:38 AM
Romo would have been Favre's backup for three years and then TT would have traded him for a D2 and drafted Rodgers.

woodbuck27
01-08-2015, 06:27 AM
Good story...Thanks T.L.

pbmax
01-08-2015, 07:51 AM
I just posted this over in the Coaches Walking the Plank thread. But I think when Mike Sherman and Tom Rossley versus Shaun Herock and Mark Hatley yields Jose Fuentes rather than Tony Romo, you can begin to understand the issue with listening to coaches over scouts.

Joemailman
01-08-2015, 08:06 AM
Romo probably should have been a 2nd round pick. He's been pretty damn good. If Romo had had the opportunity to play for McCarthy, I'm not so sure he wouldn't have had greater success than he's had. And if Rodgers had not played for McCarthy, I'm not so sure he would have been as great as he's been.

Besides, Thompson is a BPA guy. Even if Sherman had drafted Romo in 2003, there's a good chance Thompson still would have drafted Rodgers in 2005.

Zool
01-08-2015, 08:25 AM
All the cool kids should head on over to www.pearshapedloser.com for all your never was, coat tail riding, BJ Sander drafting, fat tub of fired from Texas A&M, Joe Johnson signing, OurGal NoLuck drafting, 2 punter on the roster having news.

woodbuck27
01-08-2015, 08:28 AM
All the cool kids should head on over to www.pearshapedloser.com for all your never was, coat tail riding, BJ Sander drafting, fat tub of fired from Texas A&M, Joe Johnson signing, OurGal NoLuck drafting, 2 punter on the roster having news.

Some pear shaped losers are really funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSB3HdmLcY4

Zool
01-08-2015, 09:00 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuN1Kj8BT2Q

Fritz
01-08-2015, 09:02 AM
So Sherman knew that if he drafted Romo, the Packers would not eventually draft the then-19 year old Butte CC QB Aaron Rodgers.

According to this line of thinking, the real reason Sherman drafted so many shitty players and effed up the offensive line and gave Clittius Hunt a big contract was because he knew all of this would pave the way for his own eventual firing as GM and the subsequent hiring of the brilliant Ted Thompson, who would then fire Sherman as coach in order to hire SB winning coach Mike McCarthy.

We must conclude therefore that Shermy's sole ability was to be able to predict the future, except for the futures of which college players and NFL free agents would actually be able to play well in the NFL.

pbmax
01-08-2015, 09:36 AM
The crystal ball is all knowing, but never reveals all. That costs another $25 bucks per session.

Patler
01-08-2015, 10:24 AM
Boy, that was a close one, wasn't it?

Just think, if Sherman had wasted one of his 7th round draft picks on Romo, they might have missed out on Chris Johnson, DeAndrew Rubin, Carl Ford or Steve Josue! If it was Johnson they missed out on, they might not have been able to trade for Robert Thomas!

If he had really gone nuts and drafted Romo in the sixth, they might have missed out on Brennan CUrtin. I shudder to think where the Pack would be today if that had happened.

All kidding aside, even if they had Romo already, he would have been an unknown entity not having played behind Favre. Just as they were willing to draft Brohm in the second round and Flynn in the same draft with Rodgers unproven but poised to be the starter, I think Rodgers would have been too good to pass up when he was available even if they had Romo.

woodbuck27
01-08-2015, 10:29 AM
I agree Patler.

hoosier
01-08-2015, 10:53 AM
Boy, that was a close one, wasn't it?

Just think, if Sherman had wasted one of his 7th round draft picks on Romo, they might have missed out on Chris Johnson, DeAndrew Rubin, Carl Ford or Steve Josue! If it was Johnson they missed out on, they might not have been able to trade for Robert Thomas!

If he had really gone nuts and drafted Romo in the sixth, they might have missed out on Brennan CUrtin. I shudder to think where the Pack would be today if that had happened.

All kidding aside, even if they had Romo already, he would have been an unknown entity not having played behind Favre. Just as they were willing to draft Brohm in the second round and Flynn in the same draft with Rodgers unproven but poised to be the starter, I think Rodgers would have been too good to pass up when he was available even if they had Romo.

You forgot William Whitticker.

mraynrand
01-08-2015, 10:55 AM
Just think if they had picked Barry Sanders instead of Manwich - then they probably would have never acquired Favre.

mraynrand
01-08-2015, 10:57 AM
I met my wife because I walked into a restaurant at the right time. I was going in to get something to eat because I was famished following two straight days of vomiting and diarrhea from food poisoning. So I am so grateful that the guy at the sandwich shop tried to save money by keeping his refrigerator at 60 instead of 43. Thank you sandwich shop guy!

Patler
01-08-2015, 11:08 AM
You forgot William Whitticker.

Sorry, but I can't think of a way in which drafting/signing Romo in 2003 would have impacted drafting Whitticker in 2005

Zool
01-08-2015, 11:22 AM
Sorry, but I can't think of a way in which drafting/signing Romo in 2003 would have impacted drafting Whitticker in 2005

This is a Tank thread. Fact is thrown out the window.

3irty1
01-08-2015, 12:03 PM
So the premise of this thread is either that Sherman is a genius and a time lord or Tank is the forum fool?

vince
01-08-2015, 12:03 PM
Yet more evidence of Sherman's drafting genius.

Teamcheez1
01-08-2015, 12:15 PM
Yet more evidence of Sherman's drafting genius.

Sherman was so great that he has pieced together a HOF career in the NFL.

pbmax
01-08-2015, 02:01 PM
I still can't believe Fuentes didn't pan out.

Fritz
01-08-2015, 05:16 PM

The Butterfly Effect.

Had the Packers drafted Romo, there wouldn't even BE a Packerrats site.

Joemailman
01-08-2015, 06:06 PM

With a name like that, probably would have had a better chance if he was a kicker.

woodbuck27
01-08-2015, 06:16 PM
With a name like that, probably would have had a better chance if he was a kicker.

I was thinking:

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSJ_i4HCkTzRAQvMJdJCmh0OEHk_t_JQ-1cJghi5Lj9qV5VpqoA

LEWCWA
01-08-2015, 07:12 PM
some of you have no sense of humor------

mraynrand
01-08-2015, 08:58 PM

depends on your perspective

http://us.cdn2828.fansshare.com/photos/daisyfuentes/daisy-fuentes-2125719112.jpg

pbmax
01-08-2015, 09:44 PM
He wasn't bad at second base either, once he gave up the QB dream:

http://sfgiantsphotos.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/fuentes-tito.jpg

Packman_26
01-08-2015, 11:32 PM
This is a Tank thread. Fact is thrown out the window.
Is this fella confirmed to be Tank and not an imposter? He's only mentioned shutting down Darren Charles once and hasn't called Rodgers "Erin" at all. I remember a much more brash and ridiculous version. I actually respect him some if it is, he's played this character for what must be 10 years. I remember him from the js forums way back when. That's a long time for someone to keep at trolling packers forums.

QBME
01-09-2015, 06:40 AM
Is this fella confirmed to be Tank and not an imposter? He's only mentioned shutting down Darren Charles once and hasn't called Rodgers "Erin" at all. I remember a much more brash and ridiculous version. I actually respect him some if it is, he's played this character for what must be 10 years. I remember him from the js forums way back when. That's a long time for someone to keep at trolling packers forums.

Yes, he is for sure. He's admitted it. Complete with his unwavering love of Mike Sherman.

Cheesehead Craig
01-09-2015, 06:58 AM
depends on your perspective

http://us.cdn2828.fansshare.com/photos/daisyfuentes/daisy-fuentes-2125719112.jpg

Love me some Daisy Fuentes! Repped.

Pugger
01-09-2015, 09:07 AM
If Sherman was as wonderful as Tank says he is why is he presently out of work after getting canned from the Dolphins after their 8-8 2013 season?

woodbuck27
01-09-2015, 11:21 AM

Your going to get visits. :-)

George Cumby
01-09-2015, 11:24 AM

Yes, confirmed.

He is, and I say this in a vaguely admiring fashion, dancing artfully in the Dragon's jaws.

KYPack
01-09-2015, 01:53 PM

Yup, It's still Tank and he still stank.

Right now, he's on the scaffold with the noose around his neck, knot behind his left ear.

We will divert his 3 protectors and spring the trap soon.

Thanks, in part, to this stupid thread.

Fritz
01-09-2015, 04:57 PM
Stupid? Can't you see that without Sherman, the Packers would never have had Ted Thompson or Aaron Rodgers or Super Bowl rings from 2010.

Sherman was clearly genius. And of admirable character, since he was willing to sacrifice his own career for the future good of the Green Bay Packers, which he could foretell.

George Cumby
01-09-2015, 05:30 PM
How Zen of you, Fritz. Or shall I say...... Yoda?

Packman_26
01-09-2015, 05:33 PM
I know we are supposed to believe its him, just doesn't seem like the same guy. Is this the same guy that wrote:

Bill Schroeder. Tall. Fast. Great. Schroeder was a sparkling white hope in a black dominated realm. He was 6’4”, yet ran the 40 in 4.2 seconds. He was Randy Moss before anyone ever heard of Randy Moss.

Schroeder was a star football player at Sheboygan South High School. The conservative Barry Alvarez should have offered Schroeder a scholarship to play at Wisconsin. But Alvarez, being the conservative he is, told Schroder that Division 1 was no place for Schroeder’s kind (years later, Alvarez said the same thing to some white shut down corner from Appleton who shut down Darren Charles in game).

So Billy went to UW-La Crosse and proved Alvarez wrong. Bill Schroeder got game. After a spectacular career at UWLC, Schroeder was drafted by the Green Bay Packers of the National Football League. He quickly became a starter…and the rest is history.

Jordy Nelson, slow as a turtle, would be lucky to be half the player Schroeder was.

In conclusion, one sentence describes Schroeder best: the best there was, there is, there ever will be.
That's really the same guy? Looking through his posts it just seems like too many lols and comments that seem like a real person. Maybe I'm just hoping its not really him. He could just be trying to avoid being banned from his 52nd Packers forum. This neutered version just kind of depresses me...
PS-If this snaps him back into it, I'm sorry. I will take full responsibility.

pbmax
01-09-2015, 06:34 PM
I know we are supposed to believe its him, just doesn't seem like the same guy. Is this the same guy that wrote:

That's really the same guy? Looking through his posts it just seems like too many lols and comments that seem like a real person. Maybe I'm just hoping its not really him. He could just be trying to avoid being banned from his 52nd Packers forum. This neutered version just kind of depresses me...
PS-If this snaps him back into it, I'm sorry. I will take full responsibility.

Amazing your recall. I would have expected less familiarity with 179 posts.

Packman_26
01-09-2015, 07:52 PM
Amazing your recall. I would have expected less familiarity with 179 posts.
I'm everywhere and I'm nowhere...

pbmax
01-10-2015, 11:15 AM
I give Sherman all the credit for this. Sherman and Rossley devised the short gun in the middle of their tenure to make it more likely they would run from a shotgun formation. The short gun for the Packers of that era was a two back (or RB/TE) set.

It is essentially the same idea as the one back pistol. Some teams like the 49ers and UNLV run it with the full back offset from the QB to give them a 2 back look different from Sherm's version, but its largely the same idea.

KYPack
01-10-2015, 04:59 PM
Tank is a troll.

The evidence?

This thread.

Enforce the ban on this lyin' little piece of shit.