PDA

View Full Version : The catch?

Harlan Huckleby
01-11-2015, 03:36 PM
Honestly, after watching Dez Bryant non-catch, seems like he made about three football moves before going to ground.

Pierra disagrees. Guess I don't know rule, but that is a catch to eyeball

woodbuck27
01-11-2015, 03:39 PM
The ground cannot be used to secure a catch.

MM saw that it did from his angle that was hidden from camera right.

The angle we saw on FOX until the replays.

The linesman was right on top of it and should have gotten it correct from the get go.

The Officials almost screwed up another one. These fricken' guys.

Thank goodness for the review.

Maxie the Taxi
So what. Packers would have had plenty of time to score even if Dallas scored there. :pack:

pbmax
Honestly, after watching Dez Bryant non-catch, seems like he made about three football moves before going to ground.

But he was falling. Going to the ground trumps it unless he football moves it first.

Maxie the Taxi
01-11-2015, 03:41 PM
Guess I don't know rule,

Nuff said.

Cheesehead Craig
01-11-2015, 03:42 PM
Guess you think falling down is a football move.

Harlan Huckleby
01-11-2015, 03:43 PM
I got a football move for ya, punk.

MadtownPacker
01-11-2015, 03:43 PM
He bobbled the ball more times than Harlan in the back of an adult backstore.

woodbuck27
01-11-2015, 03:44 PM
A lot of very experienced football people didn't know the rule.

Did you see the FOX crew after that game. Some confused and unhappy faces.

Hahahahahaha

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-11-2015, 03:51 PM

Hahahahahaha

Yeah, good eye, I thought a couple of them were gonna start crying. Poor bitches...

Harlan Huckleby
01-11-2015, 03:52 PM
I thought Bryant made two steps after catch, then dove for endzone, all after catch. If the rule says that is not a catch, the rule is flawed.

Maxie the Taxi
01-11-2015, 03:55 PM
I thought Bryant made two steps after catch, then dove for endzone, all after catch. If the rule says that is not a catch, the rule is flawed.

Harlan, there was 4 minutes left. Even if it had been a good catch, Arod had plenty of time to come back.

Now go to bed without your supper!

Harlan Huckleby
01-11-2015, 04:04 PM
I heard perfect analysis - Bryant travelled

George Cumby
01-11-2015, 04:06 PM
Harlan Huckleby
01-11-2015, 04:08 PM

I'm gonna make you my wife, darkie.

woodbuck27
01-11-2015, 04:09 PM

That was the closest to be 'a catch non catch' that you'll likely ever see again.

He goes into the air and corrals the ball and as he comes down it looks like he secures the ball... yet.... he falls to the ground and the ball hits the ground before it's finally secured.

That's not a catch.

and anyway...Dez Bryant ...traveled !

Very bad !!

woodbuck27
01-11-2015, 04:12 PM
The NFL Network will be all over that call tomorrow.

It will be played over and over and over and..............diced and sliced and dissected and reviewed and debated and conjured over .....and "cries of foul" will be heard and you'll hear "what a shames"...and ...and...and more ands.

pbmax
01-11-2015, 04:14 PM
Remember Packer fans, always front run these little hiccups. The packers can only play according to the rule the refs tell them about. if you want to make up new rules, wait til next year not mid-game.

esoxx
01-11-2015, 04:40 PM
He cradled the ball it was clearly a catch. But this is the over-regulated NFL where logic is thrown out the window. I'm not complaining as Cowboys got the call last week and had some gifts this week for sure.

Just don't anyone think that wasn't a catch because it was. But rules are rules and we were on the right side of over-regulation this time so will take it.

wist43
01-11-2015, 04:51 PM
I knew it wasn't a catch right away... was yelling at the TV to challenge, and everyone in the room thought I was nuts, lol...

The rule states that he has to maintain control all the way to the ground - he obviously did not do that. Hence, it was not a catch, and I don't think it was a difficult call to make - the official was standing right there, and he should have made the call on the field right away. It seemed pretty obvious though that the officials were slanted toward Dallas throughout the game, so no surprise there.

Harlan Huckleby
01-11-2015, 04:58 PM
wist, I've quoted you for my sig. not sure why. I guess it has an "uphill both ways" quality to it.

3irty1
01-11-2015, 05:22 PM
If I were a Dallas fan I'd be livid. Congrats to you who understand what an NFL catch is these days.

That said even if its not a makeup call I accept it as such.

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-11-2015, 05:26 PM
Yeah, good thing I hate the cowboys. Most of the sports folks are saying good call, bad rule. I am sure Jerry will pay to have rule changed next year.

ptisme
01-11-2015, 05:31 PM

Lets hear from a Cowboys fan on PFT:

cowboys1993 says:
Jan 11, 2015 4:32 PM
Cowboys fan here. Great game all around. Rogers played great and the refs got the call right on Dez. See you next year.

154 11
Report comment

pbmax
01-11-2015, 05:39 PM
I knew it wasn't a catch right away... was yelling at the TV to challenge, and everyone in the room thought I was nuts, lol...

The rule states that he has to maintain control all the way to the ground - he obviously did not do that. Hence, it was not a catch, and I don't think it was a difficult call to make - the official was standing right there, and he should have made the call on the field right away. It seemed pretty obvious though that the officials were slanted toward Dallas throughout the game, so no surprise there.

That was the funny part. the best two angles on what happened were both from behind the sideline, one camera on the goalline and the other behind the play (CBS played this one in their halftime show). Its EXACTLY where the ref was standing. I don't know how he missed it.

pbmax
01-11-2015, 05:43 PM
He cradled the ball it was clearly a catch. But this is the over-regulated NFL where logic is thrown out the window. I'm not complaining as Cowboys got the call last week and had some gifts this week for sure.

Just don't anyone think that wasn't a catch because it was. But rules are rules and we were on the right side of over-regulation this time so will take it.

If I were a Dallas fan I'd be livid. Congrats to you who understand what an NFL catch is these days.

That said even if its not a makeup call I accept it as such.

They changed it to take interpretation out of the ref's hands (this was explained during the Calvin Johnson fiasco). No more judgement about what constitutes control or trying to count steps during live action and combine with a football at like stretching for a first down.

So the rule is easier to enforce during the game, but its harder to square with the picture on TV. And that is the entire problem with refereeing today. Refs are supposed to call a live game but all the second hand judgements are done after the fact in slo-mo with 4 angles.

pbmax
01-11-2015, 05:44 PM
Even if you want to call it unfair, I say it makes up for the two completely missed holding calls on Daniels on that drive.

esoxx
01-11-2015, 06:21 PM
It was an egregious call that's really stupid. You don't cradle the ball and extend to the end zone without possession. NFL is so over-regulated nowadays it's ridiculous.

But this week it worked to our advantage so I'll take it.

dissident94
01-11-2015, 06:37 PM
I have hated that rule for years. But I also was yelling to challenge it because I "knew" it wasn't a catch.

Hate the rule, but they got the call correct.

hoosier
01-11-2015, 07:19 PM
Even if you want to call it unfair, I say it makes up for the two completely missed holding calls on Daniels on that drive.

Not to mention the missed holding on Clay. I'm pretty sure he got taken to the ground on the 3rd down play, but there was no replay to confirm.

EDIT: It was Frederick who hooked him as Clay went by him on his right.

gbgary
01-11-2015, 07:23 PM

head of officials said he was falling...not running...thus no football move(s).

gbgary
01-11-2015, 07:25 PM
i think the rule is ok. it took the judgement out of the process and made it as black and white as they could.

Freak Out
01-11-2015, 07:37 PM

Exactly....I was freaking livid with the no calls on the Dallas O-Line.

Freak Out
01-11-2015, 07:38 PM
What catch?

Guiness
01-11-2015, 07:41 PM
That was the funny part. the best two angles on what happened were both from behind the sideline, one camera on the goalline and the other behind the play (CBS played this one in their halftime show). Its EXACTLY where the ref was standing. I don't know how he missed it.

I'd have to just guess the speed of it. Sometimes when they show the replay, and the ref was right I wonder how the heck they did it.

esoxx
01-11-2015, 07:45 PM
What catch?

The catch by Dez Bryant down to the half yard line.

Like Jerry Rice's fumble in '98 playoffs that was a shit call (or lack thereof), we'll take it.

No reason to pretend it wasn't a catch though.

Freak Out
01-11-2015, 07:48 PM
The catch by Dez Bryant down to the half yard line.

Like Jerry Rice's fumble in '98 playoffs that was a shit call (or lack thereof), we'll take it.

No reason to pretend it wasn't a catch though.

This your new personal crusade or something? If it was a catch they would have called it one after review.

TravisWilliams23
01-11-2015, 08:01 PM
We've all seen this called incomplete for awhile now. I remember Greg Jennings losing a td because after the catch - then two steps in the endzone a bear defender tackled him and the ball came loose, ruled incomplete because he was "going to the ground" and didn't maintain control of the ball. Calvin Johnson call was the more famous one but the rule is there and it should be known by everyone by now. Correct call on the reversal.

esoxx
01-11-2015, 08:06 PM
This your new personal crusade or something? If it was a catch they would have called it one after review.

I'm saying it was a catch from logic standpoint, not from the NFL fucked up over-regulated rule standpoint. No reason to pretend he didn't actually catch the ball. Either way we go to NFC Championship game so relax.

Striker
01-11-2015, 08:19 PM
Dean Blandino made a video about the 'process of the catch' during the 2013 season using, of all people, Dez Bryant as an example.

Link (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000288832/article/dean-blandino-explains-threestep-process-of-a-legal-catch)

ThunderDan
01-11-2015, 08:29 PM
That was not a catch. You have to have possession through the catch.

I remember about 4 years ago when ARod hit James Jones for a 40 yard bomb to the back the end zone. He got two feet in, was tackled by the defender, took another step while being dragged down, finally went to the ground 5 yards out of the end zone and the ball waffled in his hands when he hit the ground. It was ruled not a TD but an incomplete pass. I remember going off in the game day thread on how that was a stupid rule and should be changed.

Well, the rule is the same and it was applied the way it should have been.

ThunderDan
01-11-2015, 08:31 PM
So what. Packers would have had plenty of time to score even if Dallas scored there. :pack:

We were at the 23 yard line kneeling down to win the game a FG would have either tied or won the game depending on if Dallas made the 2 point conversion.

Freak Out
01-11-2015, 08:31 PM
I'm saying it was a catch from logic standpoint, not from the NFL fucked up over-regulated rule standpoint. No reason to pretend he didn't actually catch the ball. Either way we go to NFC Championship game so relax.

Seems like you are the one that needs to chill. lol

Packman_26
01-11-2015, 08:33 PM
If you thought it should be ruled a catch, you either don't understand the rule or it's sour grapes. Catching the ball isn't just controlling it, the process continues as you hit the ground. Whether he meant to drive for the end zone or lost his balance doesn't matter. He clearly was going to the ground while making the catch and when he does he's holding the ball and the ball touches the ground. If the ball moves (which is does more than once), it is an incomplete pass. I hear some people talking about how he took three steps. That's true but it doesn't mean anything since while taking those steps he is going to the ground. To those that say you can't be falling while taking steps, I present to you King Hippo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK0DiMzKVA8
You can think it's a stupid rule (I do) but the idea that the cowboys were robbed is ridiculous. Would we be having this discussion if say, a very minor facemask penalty cost a team the game for being a 15 year personal foul? It used to be a 5 yard penalty, now its 15 yards. You can disagree with the rule change, but no one is being jobbed in either situation. Hate it all day long if you like, but there is zero controversy.

wist43
01-11-2015, 08:34 PM
I'm not a fan of the rule... in my world, that is a catch, but that isn't the standard.

The standard is the rule book, and by the rule book that was not a catch - and as I said earlier, I don't think it was a difficult call. The official on the field, who was standing all of 8 feet away, should have made the call on the field, and then Dallas would have challenged, and they would have lost the challenge.

Guiness
01-11-2015, 08:36 PM
That was not a catch. You have to have possession through the catch.

I remember about 4 years ago when ARod hit James Jones for a 40 yard bomb to the back the end zone. He got two feet in, was tackled by the defender, took another step while being dragged down, finally went to the ground 5 yards out of the end zone and the ball waffled in his hands when he hit the ground. It was ruled not a TD but an incomplete pass. I remember going off in the game day thread on how that was a stupid rule and should be changed.

Well, the rule is the same and it was applied the way it should have been.

Welcome back TD, heck of a game you saw, bet it was a ball!

denverYooper
01-11-2015, 08:43 PM

No kidding. Blatant, on-camera chokehold on one of them.

pbmax
01-11-2015, 08:45 PM
We were at the 23 yard line kneeling down to win the game a FG would have either tied or won the game depending on if Dallas made the 2 point conversion.

How was the game atmosphere?

ThunderDan
01-11-2015, 08:46 PM
Welcome back TD, heck of a game you saw, bet it was a ball!

That was one of the best games I have seen in Lambeau. It was electric. The crowd was really loud. It was a close game which increases the excitement. Even though we were losing you had a feeling that GB was going to pull it out in the end and did.

No one around me in my section knew the going to the ground rule on the catch and were sure Dallas was going to keep the ball. I told them it was going to be overturned and no one believed. Man, I was mobbed when they overturned the call.

pbmax
01-11-2015, 08:47 PM
That was one of the best games I have seen in Lambeau. It was electric. The crowd was really loud. It was a close game which increases the excitement. Even though we were losing you had a feeling that GB was going to pull it out in the end and did.

No one around me in my section knew the going to the ground rule on the catch and were sure Dallas was going to keep the ball. I told them it was going to be overturned and no one believed. Man, I was mobbed when they overturned the call.

See? Packers can improve your life!

I keep telling my family that and they don't believe me.

woodbuck27
01-11-2015, 09:03 PM
Dean Blandino made a video about the 'process of the catch' during the 2013 season using, of all people, Dez Bryant as an example.

Link (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000288832/article/dean-blandino-explains-threestep-process-of-a-legal-catch)

As I understand what happened today.

There is a difference between your example of an incomplete pass and what we saw today where the WR (Dez Bryant) has the ball trapped between his hand (s) and the ground...and thus the incomplete pass call.

if you were in a position on the sidelines to see that position of the ball on the ground it should have been an easy call..an incompletion.

Somehow the official on the sideline (he was feet away on that sideline) missed that call. The fact he did miss that incompletion call is amazing to me.

"What the hell was going on out there?"

KYPack
01-11-2015, 09:17 PM
I didn't know it was an incomplete pass when it happened. I kept looking to see the spot. Then, in subsequent replays, I saw the ball rummaging around and thought, what the hell, maybe that fool didn't snag it.

There was a lot of shit going on for a bit there, too. MM was fingering the red flag like it was his last dollar, then eventually tossed the flag.

I figured we'd get hosed, like the Rice fumble, the fail Mary, etc. And, WE GOT IT.

The Rice fumble, I saw right away, in real time.
The Fail Mary, I called right away.
This CATCH, I was puzzled, unsure.

So the GBP is better off if I'm confused because then we get the call we deserve.

I plan on staying puzzled and confused.

channtheman
01-11-2015, 10:19 PM

It really was a great game. I too had to educate my section on the rule and no one believed me except for my cousin after I explained it. A few stubborn folks thought it was a bad overturn but I knew it wasn't. They were saying "we'll see tomorrow on ESPN." Well, they saw tonight already it was the correct call. Hate the rule if you want, but as has been said, don't complain that the call was bad.

MadtownPacker
01-11-2015, 10:29 PM
I don't see how this is being compared to the megatron catch. If I recall the ball wasn't moving. Johnson just put it down on the ground after catching it. The cries of 3 steps are garbage because dez cryant had not secured it until he rolled in the endzone and by then it had touched the ground. The call and the rule are legit IMO.

Fosco33
01-11-2015, 10:40 PM
I don't see how this is being compared to the megatron catch. If I recall the ball wasn't moving. Johnson just put it down on the ground after catching it. The cries of 3 steps are garbage because dez cryant had not secured it until he rolled in the endzone and by then it had touched the ground. The call and the rule are legit IMO.

Totally agree. The clear angle shows the ball moving until he dove and ball hits the ground.

As had been pointed out - say they score. 2pt conversion is less than 50% chance. And then pack rolled down the field with arods best 2nd half in 2 yrs. so at best for cowboys it's a tie/ot in lambeau and more likely a loss.

Cowboys made some mistakes. Missed fg and not able to stop the rook.

I'm frankly sick of hearing about the catch being the defining moment of the game. Bs.

channtheman
01-11-2015, 10:43 PM
Totally agree. The clear angle shows the ball moving until he dove and ball hits the ground.

As had been pointed out - say they score. 2pt conversion is less than 50% chance. And then pack rolled down the field with arods best 2nd half in 2 yrs. so at best for cowboys it's a tie/ot in lambeau and more likely a loss.

I'm frankly sick of hearing about the catch being the defining moment of the game. Bs.

Agree with both of you. I still to this day think the Calvin Johnson one was a catch, even with the rule. He had already gone to the ground and was down. THEN, he set the ball down.

Also agree that it's annoying that that play is being used as the single defining moment of the game. Try us getting a field goal before halftime instead of Dallas, or Peppers forcing a fumble on a play Murray may have scored a TD on, or Rodgers to Rodgers for an amazing TD, or Rodgers to Adams for a great throw, catch, and run for a TD. There are way too many great and amazing plays in this game to say that was the only reason we won.

woodbuck27
01-11-2015, 10:49 PM

Here it is:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000456954/article/dez-bryant-i-think-it-was-a-catch-they-took-it-away

Dez Bryant: 'I think it was a catch. They took it away'

By: Dan Hanzus ... Around the NFL Writer

Published: Jan. 11, 2015 at 05:56 p.m. ... Updated: Jan. 11, 2015 at 11:30 p.m.

Comment woodbuck27:

It's very clear. The reversed call to 'an incomplete pass' was the correct call. No catch !

George Cumby
01-11-2015, 10:51 PM
"Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!"

woodbuck27
01-11-2015, 10:59 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000456766/article/twitter-reaction-to-controversial-dez-bryant-noncatch

Twitter reaction to controversial Dez Bryant non-catch

NFL.com

Published: Jan. 11, 2015 at 04:17 p.m. ... Updated: Jan. 11, 2015 at 11:28 p.m.

pbmax
01-11-2015, 11:15 PM
PackerRats Twitter told Skip Bayless to let us know which rules he wanted to enforce before next week's game started. Just to be fair.

Striker
01-11-2015, 11:18 PM
Another thing lost in this whole fiasco is that this wasn't a play in the end zone with no time left. If the ruling stood who's to say the Packers don't somehow come up with a stop or Romo doesn't throw a pick somehow?

Or if the Cowboys do score a TD, Rodgers and the offense still have plenty of time on the clock.

Or if the Cowboys stop the Packers on the two 3rd down situations where the Packers threw the football at the end of the game, they still have another shot.

They said Detroit still had 8 minutes. Well, Dallas had almost two minutes to work twice.

HarveyWallbangers
01-11-2015, 11:52 PM
We've all seen this called incomplete for awhile now. I remember Greg Jennings losing a td because after the catch - then two steps in the endzone a bear defender tackled him and the ball came loose, ruled incomplete because he was "going to the ground" and didn't maintain control of the ball. Calvin Johnson call was the more famous one but the rule is there and it should be known by everyone by now. Correct call on the reversal.

BINGO!

HarveyWallbangers
01-11-2015, 11:55 PM

He should have maintained control. There's nothing new about this rule. The only people bitching about this call are Cowboy fans, and most of them realize it's not a catch.

HarveyWallbangers
01-11-2015, 11:55 PM

Agreed, hombre.

mraynrand
01-12-2015, 05:08 AM
It was not a catch, according to NFL rules. And shame on all you bastards for not giving credit to Sam Shields (at least in this thread; it's the first one I'm reading after getting back from the game). Shields moved the damn ball from Bryant's grasp, otherwise it would have been a catch. Great play by Shields to disrupt what would have been an amazing throw to and catch by Bryant.

Other points that I don't know the rules to that also have been raised: It seems to me that you can't make a 'football move' going to the ground and you can't make a 'football move' if the ball isn't secured. And no matter what that crybaby says, he was going to the ground with an unsecured football. Tough shit: you lose.

FWIW, I sat under a box filled with cowboy fans. It's pretty easy to tell people are saying "bullshit" even if you can't read lips all that well. ESPN wasn't able to digitize that out. Hope they got billed for throwing their drinks at the plexiglass. Cowgirl fans sitting by me were well behaved, but there were way too many - maybe 5% Cowgirl fans at the game (about 79,500 total in attendance).

KYPack
01-12-2015, 05:56 AM
It was not a catch, according to NFL rules. And shame on all you bastards for not giving credit to Sam Shields (at least in this thread; it's the first one I'm reading after getting back from the game). Shields moved the damn ball from Bryant's grasp, otherwise it would have been a catch. Great play by Shields to disrupt what would have been an amazing throw to and catch by Bryant.

Other points that I don't know the rules to that also have been raised: It seems to me that you can't make a 'football move' going to the ground and you can't make a 'football move' if the ball isn't secured. And no matter what that crybaby says, he was going to the ground with an unsecured football. Tough shit: you lose.

FWIW, I sat under a box filled with cowboy fans. It's pretty easy to tell people are saying "bullshit" even if you can't read lips all that well. ESPN wasn't able to digitize that out. Hope they got billed for throwing their drinks at the plexiglass. Cowgirl fans sitting by me were well behaved, but there were way too many - maybe 5% Cowgirl fans at the game (about 79,500 total in attendance).

Yup. Sam's accomplishment is noted, but kind of like a fireworks display next to an atomic explosion.

Well, you saw a classic, I'll say that much.

Cowboys fans are usually pretty well house broken.

Did you see any total assholes at the game?

I loved a FOX shot about a half hour after the game. Fans were hanging out in the stands, drinking their last beers and just glowing in the victory.

SkinBasket
01-12-2015, 07:20 AM
If Dez pulls that ball in and tucks it away instead of trying to be the TD hero, the ball doesn't hit the ground. The problem is black people have been sociologically trained to deflect all blame and reject all accountability for their own actions. Much easier to blame the NFL and the refs than one's self. Hands up don't shoot!

Guiness
01-12-2015, 08:33 AM

Something I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned was the single coverage on the outside on that play. Romo was in the shotgun with an empty backfield, was shocked he didn't have help over the top with Dez!

hoosier
01-12-2015, 08:39 AM

Dallas Morning News is a pleasure to behold this morning.

http://www.dallasnews.com/incoming/20150111-ns_11dallasgbld43_41665468_464931.jpg.ece/BINARY/w595x467/NS_11DallasGBLD43_41665468_464931.JPG

http://www.dallasnews.com/incoming/20150111-ns_11dallasgbld44_41665474_362708.jpg.ece/BINARY/w595x467/NS_11DallasGBLD44_41665474_362708.JPG

KYPack
01-12-2015, 08:45 AM
Well Kid, first they cuff ya, then they stuff ya in the back seat.

pbmax
01-12-2015, 08:56 AM
Something I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned was the single coverage on the outside on that play. Romo was in the shotgun with an empty backfield, was shocked he didn't have help over the top with Dez!

It was a Cover 0 (no safety) blitz. Dom has gone rogue the second half of this season.

It got mentioned in the Game Day thread that had Bryant just rolled to the ground, he might have been able to prevent the ball from hitting the ground. Until he twisted at the end, the ball was in his left arm and his left arm was off the ground.

Shields had such good coverage he was wearing Bryant like a hat. Bryant is so good he got disrupted twice and still nearly got it. It was an amazing sequence.

pbmax
01-12-2015, 09:02 AM
The single biggest PR problem the NFL Refs have is disagreement over what is or is not a good call. Each network has their own ex official commenting, they never agree with the broadcast crew or the game officials. You then get corrections from the League in the middle of the week.

No one would be squawking if the on-field side judge made the correct call and replay backed him up and Perreria agreed with the call. At least you wouldn't have the suspicion that the rules are fluid.

3irty1
01-12-2015, 09:09 AM
The refereeing is taking away from the fact that the Cowboys bet their season on a well defended 30 yard pass on 4th and 2 with 4 minutes left. There is no pretending they snatched defeat from the jaws of victory here.

Pugger
01-12-2015, 09:13 AM

THIS!!

This is what the crying Cowboys keep forgetting. It wasn't like this was the at the very end of the game and they would have won the game for sure had they scored there.

Pugger
01-12-2015, 09:14 AM

:lol:

Pugger
01-12-2015, 09:16 AM

Hahahahahaha

I noticed FOX didn't show Jerrah in his luxury box after that last replay. As a matter of fact they didn't show that clown up there much at all.

Pugger
01-12-2015, 09:19 AM

This play is very much like the Megatron "catch" a few years ago. It may be a screwy rule but the refs have been consistent in calling those that way. Perhaps this rule should be addressed in the offseason.

Pugger
01-12-2015, 09:22 AM

Daniels (and Clay) was being held all day long and nary a flag in sight.

Pugger
01-12-2015, 09:23 AM
What catch?

:lol:

Pugger
01-12-2015, 09:29 AM
I didn't know it was an incomplete pass when it happened. I kept looking to see the spot. Then, in subsequent replays, I saw the ball rummaging around and thought, what the hell, maybe that fool didn't snag it.

There was a lot of shit going on for a bit there, too. MM was fingering the red flag like it was his last dollar, then eventually tossed the flag.

I figured we'd get hosed, like the Rice fumble, the fail Mary, etc. And, WE GOT IT.

So the GBP is better off if I'm confused because then we get the call we deserve.

I too thought Mike was crazy to challenge that play!! I was sure he was gonna lose that one too. :lol: Thank god it happened before the 2 minute warning so we could!

mraynrand
01-12-2015, 09:31 AM

Only Packer fans. One guy was wearing a "Romo the Homo" button. A no-information fan 'lady' behind us was speculating for three quarters on the specifics of Rodgers' sex life and how that was making him play horribly. Some things she suggested I've never heard of before, and it was disturbing to know that someone out there had done/thought of such things. After the game, some woman wouldn't follow the 'every other car' rule in the parking lot, even though we were moving one car length every ten minutes for about an hour. Had to get out of the vehicle to force her pipsqueak, scrawny, ginger-haired, drunk husband back in his car, to prevent him pushing around women walking in front of their car. Angry 'lady' in the driver's seat was spewing long, long stream of expletives. My wife says: "Did you enjoy the game?"

Pugger
01-12-2015, 09:32 AM

The more amazing catch was the one by Cobb off the tipped ball to get that last first down!!!

mraynrand
01-12-2015, 09:33 AM
Well Kid, first they cuff ya, then they stuff ya in the back seat.

From the looks of the cop, he'll be riding to the cop shop on the handlebars.

Pugger
01-12-2015, 09:39 AM
Only Packer fans. One guy was wearing a "Romo the Homo" button. A no-information fan 'lady' behind us was speculating for three quarters on the specifics of Rodgers' sex life and how that was making him play horribly. Some things she suggested I've never heard of before, and it was disturbing to know that someone out there had done/thought of such things. After the game, some woman wouldn't follow the 'every other car' rule in the parking lot, even though we were moving one car length every ten minutes for about an hour. Had to get out of the vehicle to force her pipsqueak, scrawny, ginger-haired, drunk husband back in his car, to prevent him pushing around women walking in front of their car. Angry 'lady' in the driver's seat was spewing long, long stream of expletives. My wife says: "Did you enjoy the game?"

Some women can be real bitches. They think because men won't clock them they can get away with this crap.

pbmax
01-12-2015, 09:51 AM

I must just have good luck, haven't been overwhelmed with boorishness yet. Probably just a matter of time.

I also usually get one opposing fan who is at least funny and a good time. 3 for 3 on that count.

Where did you park?

ThunderDan
01-12-2015, 10:02 AM
We parked just off of Cormier SW of the stadium. We had no problems with people. We sat next to a bunch of Dallas fans. The only thing that happen was after the Richard Rodgers TD someone's beer went flying and dumped on the woman next to us.

woodbuck27
01-12-2015, 10:04 AM

Puzzled and confused...like 99.99% of all who saw that play LIVE.

Hahahaha.....There is 'one member' .... that saw the play clearly before any replays. That member was in the stands and was more alert to the pass being incomplete than an official standing right there just feet away and calling the pass complete; pointing to where the ball should be placed or just outside of the goal line.

As you called it KY. Mike McCarthy wasn't sure it was an incompletion or wouldn't the flag have been tossed right away? I'm going to review that. I gave a ton of credit to Mike McCarthy getting that flag out. A nice change for MM and bonus points for getting it right. :-)

Live on TV .... I didn't see it as MM must have. The official didn't see it right !

Anybody who saw it from the inside field shot would have thought that was a catch.

Pugger
01-12-2015, 10:07 AM

Hahahaha.....There is 'one member' .... that saw the play clearly before any replays. That member was in the stands and was more alert to the pass being incomplete than an official standing right there just feet away and calling the pass complete; pointing to where the ball should be placed or just outside of the goal line.

As you called it KY. Mike McCarthy wasn't sure it was an incompletion or wouldn't the flag have been tossed right away? I'm going to review that. I gave a ton of credit to Mike McCarthy getting that flag out. A nice change for MM and bonus points for getting it right. :-)

Live on TV .... I didn't see it as MM must have. The official didn't see it right !

Anybody who saw it from the inside field shot would have thought that was a catch.

Thank god it happened BEFORE the 2 minute warning so we could challenge it!

woodbuck27
01-12-2015, 10:13 AM
This play is very much like the Megatron "catch" a few years ago. It may be a screwy rule but the refs have been consistent in calling those that way. Perhaps this rule should be addressed in the offseason.

I see the two as being different.

Megatron and Detroit were robbed on that call.

That was a catch for a TD that was overruled on a technicality.

Megatron (Calvin Johnson), as I recall it. Placed the ball on the ground in the end zone after the catch was completed.

woodbuck27
01-12-2015, 10:14 AM
Thank god it happened BEFORE the 2 minute warning so we could challenge it!

Ohh YES!

pbmax
01-12-2015, 10:17 AM
No catch for you.

http://imgix.scout.com/146/1463393.jpg?w=600&h=360&fit=max

mraynrand
01-12-2015, 10:21 AM
I must just have good luck, haven't been overwhelmed with boorishness yet. Probably just a matter of time.

I also usually get one opposing fan who is at least funny and a good time. 3 for 3 on that count.

Where did you park?

we still had a lot of good fans around and good comments. Guy behind us was doing his rendition of Troy Aikman "Well, Joe, even though I am a former Cowboy I'm perfectly objective about that correct call on the pass interference." We parked/tailgated on the rubble of the old Kmart

woodbuck27
01-12-2015, 10:22 AM
No catch for you.

That's the Pic that Dez Bryant might fix to his refrigerator in the off season!? hahahahaha

pbmax
01-12-2015, 10:35 AM
Paul Noonan ‏@BadgerNoonan 29m29 minutes ago
Per the Advanced Football Analytics WP Calculator, the Cowboys were 45% likely to win if the Dez call was upheld, 13% after the overturn.

Cheesehead Craig
01-12-2015, 10:40 AM
https://scontent-b-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/l/t1.0-9/s480x480/10924825_982337221794289_4306346811384652481_n.jpg ?oh=7fc75648a9343a2b1fa803c5f3119dfb&oe=55323A5A

pbmax
01-12-2015, 11:52 AM
http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/article/media_slots/photos/001/914/491/hi-res-480fef78ad5116fb1492051f6dd50c9b_crop_exact.jpg?w= 1000&h=650&q=85

Harlan Huckleby
01-12-2015, 11:57 AM
After getting an earful of complaints from Dallas fans on the Steven A & Skippy show, I have two observations:
1) There is a plausible case to be made that the catch was a catch
2) Dallas really hates Green Bay. The Packers are a rival to them in the same way that the Packers are big rivals to the Bears. Teams that get whupped for a decade or two come to hate their tormentors.

denverYooper
01-12-2015, 12:01 PM
The refereeing is taking away from the fact that the Cowboys bet their season on a well defended 30 yard pass on 4th and 2 with 4 minutes left. There is no pretending they snatched defeat from the jaws of victory here.

I agree with this. If they score there, they're still giving the ball back to a red hot Packers offense they hadn't stopped over the last several drives with 3-4 minutes to work and only needing a FG. Green Bay ran their 4 minute offense after that and the Cowboys never got the ball back. The Packers could have scored again if they wanted.

Cheesehead Craig
01-12-2015, 12:06 PM
After getting an earful of complaints from Dallas fans on the Steven A & Skippy show, I have two observations:

Not according to the rules as they are currently written, there is not.

pbmax
01-12-2015, 12:09 PM
2) Dallas really hates Green Bay. The Packers are a rival to them in the same way that the Packers are big rivals to the Bears. Teams that get whupped for a decade or two come to hate their tormentors.

Twisting down and falling is not a football move. Neither is not stretching the ball over the end line

Striker
01-12-2015, 12:20 PM
I agree with this. If they score there, they're still giving the ball back to a red hot Packers offense they hadn't stopped over the last several drives with 3-4 minutes to work and only needing a FG. Green Bay ran their 4 minute offense after that and the Cowboys never got the ball back. The Packers could have scored again if they wanted.

Yep. It sucks that the rule is worded as it is, but it didn't decide the game. The Packers could have scored had it held. The Cowboys had 2 chances to get the ball back and failed to do so. It wasn't a game ending call like the Fail Mary was, or even calls like the Ed Hochuli early whistle in San Diego (which would have given the Chargers the ball back under 2 minutes) or other calls like that.

Harlan Huckleby
01-12-2015, 12:22 PM
The Packers could have scored had it held. The Cowboys had 2 chances to get the ball back and failed to do so.

Rodgers was unstoppable in 4th, excellent chance that Packer drive for score with 4-downs for every first.

woodbuck27
01-12-2015, 12:27 PM
Rodgers was unstoppable in 4th, excellent chance that Packer drive for score with 4-downs for every first.

Tom says:

http://sports.cbsimg.net/images/blogs/aaron-rodgers-wrigglesworth-03092014.jpg

Aaron Rodgers is unstoppable !

mraynrand
01-12-2015, 02:07 PM
Once again we learned no one in the NFL really knows what a catch is. The rule (known as the Calvin Johnson Rule) is clear: The ground can cause an incomplete pass. And the ruling appears to have been correct. But that doesn't make the rule any less ridiculous.

This illustrates how people who are getting this call wrong. The rule is you have to maintain control going to the ground. Shields dislodged the ball so that Bryant didn't have control going to the ground. The turf didn't 'cause' the fumble, it just illustrated that the ball wasn't secure. And of course he was going to the ground. Interestingly (I haven't seen the game coverage yet), It sure looked like Shields never touched him, so he shouldn't have been down by contact. The Jumbotron operator didn't seem to focus on that aspect; he was zooming in on the movement of the ball in Bryant's hand.

As a side note, the Lambeau Jumbotron/operator is the best I've ever seen at replaying critical plays. They really have that to a science. They have superslow motion and instant zoom in and out. Even on the play where Peppers may have tipped the pass (which would have negated the PI) they had the ball going by his glove in super slow motion, with his glove the size of a three story building on the Jumbotron. If Peppers touched that ball, it was by a stray strand of fiber on his glove - it was that close. I assume the Jumbotron operator is playing with the feed from FOX, but the way they are able to manipulate it is interesting.

Guiness
01-12-2015, 02:12 PM
This illustrates how people who are getting this call wrong. The rule is you have to maintain control going to the ground. Shields dislodged the ball so that Bryant didn't have control going to the ground. The turf didn't 'cause' the fumble, it just illustrated that the ball wasn't secure. And of course he was going to the ground. Interestingly (I haven't seen the game coverage yet), It sure looked like Shields never touched him, so he shouldn't have been down by contact. The Jumbotron operator didn't seem to focus on that aspect; he was zooming in on the movement of the ball in Bryant's hand.

As a side note, the Lambeau Jumbotron/operator is the best I've ever seen at replaying critical plays. They really have that to a science. They have superslow motion and instant zoom in and out. Even on the play where Peppers may have tipped the pass (which would have negated the PI) they had the ball going by his glove in super slow motion, with his glove the size of a three story building on the Jumbotron. If Peppers touched that ball, it was by a stray strand of fiber on his glove - it was that close. I assume the Jumbotron operator is playing with the feed from FOX, but the way they are able to manipulate it is interesting.

MM losing that challenge that the tipped ball negated the PI surprised me a little. I had assumed Peppers had come over and told him he definitely made contact with the ball, and that the replay would show it.

hoosier
01-12-2015, 02:22 PM

Shields got a piece of the ball just after Bryant hauled it in and while he was still up in the air. Bryant had to reposition the ball, but it did not start moving around in his hands (=loss of control) until Bryant started to hold it out toward the end zone. It was at that point that he and the ball hit the ground, and the ball started moving. Shields gets credit for making Bryant move the ball to a less secure position, but he didn't jar it loose.

mraynrand
01-12-2015, 02:28 PM
Shields got a piece of the ball just after Bryant hauled it in and while he was still up in the air. Bryant had to reposition the ball, but it did not start moving around in his hands (=loss of control) until Bryant started to hold it out toward the end zone. It was at that point that he and the ball hit the ground, and the ball started moving. Shields gets credit for making Bryant move the ball to a less secure position, but he didn't jar it loose.

My view was that he never regained control after Shields got it moving. I'll look again on the broadcast, but I'm telling you I'm a little biased because that whole sequence was just huge on the Jumbotron and clear in superslow motion. But there was a lot of commotion in the stands around me, so it may have skewed my interpretation. (Buncha guys behind me were pounding on the metal below a skybox filled with cowboy fans, my daughter is yelling at the refs at a pitch I'm sure woke up dogs on the far side of Ashwaubenon)

LEWCWA
01-12-2015, 02:33 PM
If Dez pulls that ball in and tucks it away instead of trying to be the TD hero, the ball doesn't hit the ground. The problem is black people have been sociologically trained to deflect all blame and reject all accountability for their own actions. Much easier to blame the NFL and the refs than one's self. Hands up don't shoot!

Sneaky good post, with just the right amount of racism, lol.....

woodbuck27
01-12-2015, 02:34 PM

Even though Shields was beaten by the taller Dez Bryant and as I recall it.

Sam Shields did manage to get the back of his right hand to the ball and that did contribute to the incompletion.

Harlan Huckleby
01-12-2015, 02:36 PM
Bryant was carrying ball like a watermelon!?

Oh no, not again.

Guys tend to "fall" off roofs after remarks like that.

pbmax
01-12-2015, 02:48 PM
http://packerstalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Packers-Cowboys-catch-reversaL-Dez-Bryant.jpg

https://usatftw.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/usp_nfl__divisional_round-dallas_cowboys_at_green_69942928.jpg?w=1000&h=668

LEWCWA
01-12-2015, 02:51 PM
Great call. Should have been called on the field. My question for you rules masters is about the PI calls. I thought balls had to be catchable for PI to be called. Both passes looked uncatchable on the PI calls, no? Both those calls contributed to Dallas points....The calls were pretty ticky tack anyway IMO, but neither pass was catchable was it?

pbmax
01-12-2015, 02:55 PM
You have to love the play call. Romo's adjustments were, perhaps absent the 3rd and 1 bomb, pretty spot on. Packers ran Cover 0, had Witten double teamed and sent the house, if not House himself. But they sent outside pressure which took time and ran stunts inside that took time. Romo had precisely as much time as he needed to make a good throw.

http://media.al.com/sports_impact/images/catch%20gif.gif

KYPack
01-12-2015, 02:55 PM
we still had a lot of good fans around and good comments. Guy behind us was doing his rendition of Troy Aikman "Well, Joe, even though I am a former Cowboy I'm perfectly objective about that correct call on the pass interference." We parked/tailgated on the rubble of the old Kmart

You bitch. KMart was my old parking spot. it was better when KMart put up the scary signs and a guard to tell you to leave. You just gave the rent a guard a fin and you were good for the game. Serious party people in that lot, now.

For the Eagle game, the family played a rib on the old guy, me. When we got close to the stadium, my brother asked me where to park. I thought they would know a spot, being local yokels. I mumbled, "I dunno, we always just park at KMart". Then they all got to laugh & inform me KMart has been torn down, etc.

My niece got one of those expensive tailgate spots about 200 ft from our entrance.

Post game, it was all nicey nice. Everybody was letting each other out, alternating and toasting with beers, the whole bit. the KMart lot was surly after the game, kinda like "car wars". That was part of the charm.

KYPack
01-12-2015, 03:09 PM
You have to love the play call. Rome's adjustments were, perhaps absent the 3rd and 1 bomb, pretty spot on. Packers ran Cover 0, had Witten double teamed and sent the house, if not House himself. But they sent outside pressure which took time and ran stunts inside that took time. Romo had precisely as much time as he needed to make a good throw.

Great pass pro by the Boys.

Not to go all Wistian, but I don't know about sending Hayward on that slot corner blitz.

Storming the QB just isn't that boy's bag.

mraynrand
01-12-2015, 03:14 PM
Great pass pro by the Boys.

Not to go all Wistian, but I don't know about sending Hayward on that slot corner blitz.

Storming the QB just isn't that boy's bag.

That play could have gone completely different without the Hayward pressure. Jones actually makes a great drop to cut off Witten and Romo, because of the pressure, has no choice but to go to the single coverage. Witten had to be his first read - had to be. and he could have been his second read without the pressure and without the great drop by Jones, because Ha Ha was deeper and behind Witten - and because Witten is Romo's security blanket.

mraynrand
01-12-2015, 03:16 PM
Just looking at that play over and over - that's total Spy versus Spy stuff. What a great NFL play. That play had everything, much like the Rodgers to Cobb play last year in Chicago.

3irty1
01-12-2015, 03:21 PM
Just looking at that play over and over - that's total Spy versus Spy stuff. What a great NFL play. That play had everything, much like the Rodgers to Cobb play last year in Chicago.

I love that description. Spot on.

Guiness
01-12-2015, 03:42 PM

Yup, they had Witten bracketed, and Burnett had good coverage on his man, Beasly I think (#11).

SkinBasket
01-12-2015, 04:26 PM
Sneaky good post, with just the right amount of racism, lol.....

Thanks man! Although it's not racism if it's true, now is it? If anything, I suppose I'm stereotyping, but probably not.

Tyrion Lannister
01-12-2015, 04:36 PM
That play could have gone completely different without the Hayward pressure. Jones actually makes a great drop to cut off Witten and Romo, because of the pressure, has no choice but to go to the single coverage. Witten had to be his first read - had to be. and he could have been his second read without the pressure and without the great drop by Jones, because Ha Ha was deeper and behind Witten - and because Witten is Romo's security blanket.

Agreemo.

#11 was open cos Burnett hesitated. With time, Romo probably checked to him.

Bossman641
01-12-2015, 04:37 PM
I think Romo probably could have gotten it to Beasley. Burnett was closing but looks like he would have been a step slow. And Brad Jones (Of All People!!) had a great fake rush before backing off to pick up Witten.

mraynrand
01-12-2015, 04:45 PM
I think Romo probably could have gotten it to Beasley. Burnett was closing but looks like he would have been a step slow. And Brad Jones (Of All People!!) had a great fake rush before backing off to pick up Witten.

That's what makes it such an interesting play. Capers was playing from the Belicheat playbook (or most decent defensive coaches) and took away Romo's number 1 option. Then, to prevent the second option (#11 Peewee Reece), he brings pressure from that side, so Romo can't set and throw back. But he has to give up something and he leaves his fast corner on Bryant. Capers is hoping that by the time Romo goes for the deep pass to his single covered top receiver, the pressure will be there. But it's late because 1) Romo moved away from it and 2) Romo probably checked to Bryat perhaps even before the snap, seeing the alignment. So Capers has to depend on Shields, who he knows is plenty fast to run with Bryant, but can he elevate and stop the perfect pass and catch? Well, he did - just barely enough. What a play.

channtheman
01-12-2015, 04:48 PM

The jumbotron crew at Lambeau did a great job all day getting good replays on the screen. From where I was sitting I thought it was a catch too...until the jumbotron showed the replay with the ball coming out. MM also had the benefit of this throughout the day.

pbmax
01-12-2015, 04:59 PM
If Neal doesn't widen out quite so much to give Peppers room to stunt, Hayward has a more direct line to Romo. Still may not have been in time.

LEWCWA
01-12-2015, 07:00 PM
Thanks man! Although it's not racism if it's true, now is it? If anything, I suppose I'm stereotyping, but probably not.

touché!!! Why be politically correct when you can just be correct. I'm sure your statement has some truth to it, probably more than anyone would like to admit openly, but your just being mean spirited when you lump everyone in!!!!lol

Harlan Huckleby
01-12-2015, 07:43 PM
I've complete my survey

97.5% of football pundits say that the catch was a catch by the rules
75.8% of pundits say that the rule is bad, that should be a catch

smuggler
01-12-2015, 08:07 PM
How does that make sense?

KYPack
01-12-2015, 08:11 PM

My point was Hayward isn't a great blitzer, but he did move Romo off his spot. That is one brilliant toss by Tony. Moving to his left and hitting Bryant outside the numbers? That's an elite toss.

I agree with your comment below that that is one fascinating play, much like Chitown last season. Those two teams were in playoff gear all the way. If you graded all 22 players, they all executed their assignments. The still pictures are really good, it was an incomplete pass, but damned hard to see.

If you go to Cowboy forums, the Lion fans are having a fun time reminding Cowboy fans about Karma, etc.

smuggler
01-12-2015, 08:20 PM
The nice thing about this game is that (the Pack won, obviously :) and) Romo played his best. The Romo haters have no ammunition, and I call that a cherry on top.

Joemailman
01-12-2015, 08:23 PM
Mike McCarthy does Lambeau Leap after successful challenge.

http://o.onionstatic.com/images/18/18622/original/700.jpg?0983

woodbuck27
01-25-2015, 10:12 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/25/packers-sam-shields-admits-he-thinks-dez-bryant-made-the-catch/

Packers’ Sam Shields admits he thinks Dez Bryant made the catch

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 25, 2015, 6:54 AM EST

Joemailman
01-25-2015, 10:26 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/25/packers-sam-shields-admits-he-thinks-dez-bryant-made-the-catch/

Packers’ Sam Shields admits he thinks Dez Bryant made the catch

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 25, 2015, 6:54 AM EST

As the writer points out at the end of the article though, Sam's comments show that like a lot of people, he doesn't know the rule very well. Falling to the ground isn't a football move, so you have to maintain possession after you hit the ground.

Joemailman
01-25-2015, 02:46 PM
http://www.kvue.com/story/news/2015/01/23/cowboys-fan-sues-nfl-for-88-billion-over-reversed-call/22208849/

Cowboys fan suing the NFL $88,987,654,321.88 over the call.

pbmax
01-25-2015, 04:40 PM
http://www.kvue.com/story/news/2015/01/23/cowboys-fan-sues-nfl-for-88-billion-over-reversed-call/22208849/

Cowboys fan suing the NFL $88,987,654,321.88 over the call.

I hope he gets to depose Goodell or Blandino just so he can go Frank Costanza on their Steinbrenner.