PDA

View Full Version : How do you beat the Seahawks?

Pages : [1] 2

call_me_ishmael
01-11-2015, 08:31 PM
Are they even beatable? IDK.

I think there offense is pretty good. Then again, is it better than Dallas? I don't know about that. I feel like if we hold them to 21 points, we will be in a good place.

The defense is insane. How are we going to beat them? What can we do to take advantage of them?

To me, we need to sell out and do whatever it takes to stop the run, including spying Russ w/ a speedy linebacker (probably Clay, unfortunately). Their receivers don't scare me too much. I would play them similar to how we played Dallas today.

Striker
01-11-2015, 08:37 PM
-Protect Rodgers. He's been kept pretty clean the past few games.
-Take what the defense gives you. Don't force the ball. Don't wait for a 50 yard kill shot. Dink and dunk and just score fucking points.
-Stay healthy. Bulaga going out of the week 1 game pretty much killed the offense.
-Use the entire field. Their "strategy" in game 1 was woeful.
-Don't let Brad Jones get on the plane

wist43
01-11-2015, 08:42 PM
They are beatable, but not by a team that is built like we are... we are soft philosophically, and we don't believe in playing defense for its own sake. Our defense is a function of our offense, and generally requires that our offense stake us to a lead. Absent that scenario, we are very beatable against even average teams, i.e. Buffalo.

If we had any semblance of a defense whatsoever, I'd say we have a chance, b/c talentwise, offense vs. offense, I think we have the edge; but our defense is such a mess, and the coaching is so bad, that there is no way we can close the gap.

Hopefully Capers will be shown the door, and we can infuse some talent into the ILB position and along the DL, i.e. a couple of run stopping NT types the likes of which we kicked out of town from last year.

TT's approach to building a defense is seriously flawed, but if we can get a competent DC to have input on player procurement, maybe we can improve enough to be a threat before Rodgers run is over.

wist43
01-11-2015, 08:43 PM
-Don't let Brad Jones get on the plane

Hear, hear...

Bretsky
01-11-2015, 08:44 PM
We have to be effective running the ball
Protect AROD
No turnovers
Keep Russell Wilson in the pocket
Contain their run game
Win the turnover battle

and yes..we may need to do all 5 of those to win

Iron Mike
01-11-2015, 09:01 PM
Protect AROD
No turnovers
Contain their run game
Win the turnover battle

I think it's imperative to do all 5.

However, if you'd ask me before the season if we'd win in Foxboro, I'd have told you no.....so there it is: any given Sunday.

Cheesehead Craig
01-11-2015, 09:04 PM
Don't be afraid to throw at Sherman. Can't let him dictate how we play.

King Friday
01-11-2015, 09:09 PM
Effective run blocking by the OL and a heavy dose of Eddie Lacy.

I don't think we can beat the Seahawks at their place without being able to win at the LOS on offense. If we can't run the ball, I don't see how we have a chance. TJ Lang needs to take his aggression out on the Seahawk DL at the snap next week.

If we can run, it will open up the passing game. Without the run, the Seahawks will take away any short passing game and I'm not sure we can rely on Rodgers throwing it deep...he didn't look particularly good at it today with the leg.

Bossman641
01-11-2015, 09:33 PM
I think it's imperative to do all 5.

However, if you'd ask me before the season if we'd win in Foxboro, I'd have told you no.....so there it is: any given Sunday.

And we haven't but we did beat them in Lambeau.

Anyways, I think we need a heavy dose of Lacy. No East-West shit, he needs to slam it down their throat and I think he can

VegasPackFan
01-11-2015, 09:37 PM
Have to play FLAWLESS FOOTBALL in all 3 aspects of the game. We have a very slim chance but I just don't see it with Rodgers being limited. And as Wist says, our Defense is just not good enough.

Tony Oday
01-11-2015, 09:54 PM
We have 0 chance.

denverYooper
01-11-2015, 09:58 PM
Tharold Simon and a fairly unimpressive pass rush outside of Bennett.

pbmax
01-11-2015, 10:00 PM
What if we hire North Korea to launch a hack of the Surface Tablets on the Seahawks sidelines?

woodbuck27
01-11-2015, 10:17 PM
Question: How do you beat the Seahawks?

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRU9zqRq50-hhcWQuwd3CA6a7h3Yk2SK2oNP7Q5wBywUurV9pp-

Answer: Transport a box of pixie dust to Seattle.

gbgary
01-11-2015, 10:21 PM
stop their run, stop their pass rush.

Rutnstrut
01-11-2015, 10:30 PM
To bad we can't trade Brad Jones to Seattle, that would assure a Packer win.

Pugger
01-11-2015, 10:34 PM
We have 0 chance.

You always have a chance. Who would have thought we'd go into Buffalo and lay that egg? If Seattle comes into the game thinking all they have to do is show up they might have a problem on their hands.

George Cumby
01-11-2015, 10:34 PM
Score more points.

woodbuck27
01-11-2015, 10:38 PM
You always have a chance. Who would have thought we'd go into Buffalo and lay that egg? If Seattle comes into the game thinking all they have to do is show up they might have a problem on their hands.

Tony is having fun.

The Seahawks certainly realize what the Green Bay Packers are capable of.

They will be well prepared to defeat Green Bay. That's a very solid team.

mission
01-11-2015, 10:38 PM
Unfortunately I think this will go a lot like the Seahawk/Panther game. Close for awhile before they pull away.

Really need the receivers to step up and get physical.

smuggler
01-12-2015, 01:29 AM
The Panthers showed that they ARE definitely beatable. Control the ball. Run often. The difference will be, when we take our shots passing - WE will be doing so with Aaron Rodgers and a slew of solid receivers. They had Cam, Kelvin and... well...

Of course, it definitely helps is Aaron is able to run around as per norm.

mraynrand
01-12-2015, 05:18 AM
What if we hire North Korea to launch a hack of the Surface Tablets on the Seahawks sidelines?

I thought those were etch-a-sketches.

Joemailman
01-12-2015, 06:45 AM
I thought those were etch-a-sketches.

Pretty sure only Slocum still uses those.

pbmax
01-12-2015, 08:53 AM
Pretty sure only Slocum still uses those.

That would explain a lot of the confusion. You can't fully erase those things without a lot of shaking. They might be running four calls at one time.

Packers4Glory
01-12-2015, 08:58 AM
we need a brilliant gameplan. Much like the way Favre beat Baltimore back in the day when their defense was absurdly good.

can Mike come up with a gameplan to solve their defense? I don't believe they're as good as last year, and the offenses they've seen the past few weeks aren't exactly scary or very good. Carolina was by far the best they've seen recently.

MM will have to come up w/ a great gameplan to help protect Rodgers. Running will be tough but we can't abandon it just because it's tough sledding. With a healthy A-rod I feel like it's not impossible. With a gimpy A-rod I'm afraid he won't last this game. It's going to take a great plan and effort from the defense to keep us in it. AND not to exclude Sherman's side from the plan. Have to use the entire field and attack him the same as anyone. The whole defense is good, but nobody is so good that we should refuse to look his way. He's not Revis or Sanders at CB. We shouldn't have to score 28 points to win, so the defense needs to bring their A game. Special teams scare me because we need points. Being able to execute and make a FG is going to be critical.

we will see what MM can put together. A win on the road w/ a gimpy QB in Seattle would be huge for his reputation.

Pugger
01-12-2015, 09:07 AM
The Panthers showed that they ARE definitely beatable. Control the ball. Run often. The difference will be, when we take our shots passing - WE will be doing so with Aaron Rodgers and a slew of solid receivers. They had Cam, Kelvin and... well...

Of course, it definitely helps is Aaron is able to run around as per norm.

Aaron won't be much more mobile than what we saw in the 4th Q yesterday. If Seattle's D has any chink in their armor is they aren't #1 rushing the passer. They ended up #20 in sacks by the end of the regular season. If our big guys can give AR some time back there perhaps we can make some plays down the field. They have a great secondary but no DB can run with a WR forever.

Pugger
01-12-2015, 09:09 AM
we need a brilliant gameplan. Much like the way Favre beat Baltimore back in the day when their defense was absurdly good.

can Mike come up with a gameplan to solve their defense? I don't believe they're as good as last year, and the offenses they've seen the past few weeks aren't exactly scary or very good. Carolina was by far the best they've seen recently.

MM will have to come up w/ a great gameplan to help protect Rodgers. Running will be tough but we can't abandon it just because it's tough sledding. With a healthy A-rod I feel like it's not impossible. With a gimpy A-rod I'm afraid he won't last this game. It's going to take a great plan and effort from the defense to keep us in it. AND not to exclude Sherman's side from the plan. Have to use the entire field and attack him the same as anyone. The whole defense is good, but nobody is so good that we should refuse to look his way. He's not Revis or Sanders at CB. We shouldn't have to score 28 points to win, so the defense needs to bring their A game. Special teams scare me because we need points. Being able to execute and make a FG is going to be critical.

we will see what MM can put together. A win on the road w/ a gimpy QB in Seattle would be huge for his reputation.

If it is mild in Seattle next weekend perhaps Eddie's asthma won't bother him as much as it did yesterday and he'll play more snaps.

Packers4Glory
01-12-2015, 09:13 AM
on the glass half full front Chris Carter talked about playing w/ strains and stuff in the calf and how you get more accustomed to playing with it as you play more and more on it. Should be warmer up there so it should help w/ getting it loose and staying warm during the game. He doesn't have to run, but he needs to be able to move outside the pocket and extend some plays and not take sacks like he did in the 1st half yesterday.

pbmax
01-12-2015, 09:23 AM

That was a Mike Sherman classic zig when they zag game plan. Might have been his finest hour. If the Ravens brought out their run defense line (Adams and Goose), Packers play actioned and threw with time in pocket. If they brought out their pass rush line (two other guys inside) they Packers ran.

As a coach, Sherman was ahead of his time bringing college concepts to the NFL. I remember Bill Walsh backhanded compliment of the Packers running game as "more of a college scheme than pro" during a broadcast of the Packers. Walsh probably felt that someone has taken his baby, the WCO, and bastardized it by grafting on a different running attack than split backs. But it was the wave of the future.

Packers4Glory
01-12-2015, 09:27 AM
That was a Mike Sherman classic zig when they zag game plan. Might have been his finest hour. If the Ravens brought out their run defense line (Adams and Goose), Packers play actioned and threw with time in pocket. If they brought out their pass rush line (two other guys inside) they Packers ran.

As a coach, Sherman was ahead of his time bringing college concepts to the NFL. I remember Bill Walsh backhanded compliment of the Packers running game as "more of a college scheme than pro" during a broadcast of the Packers. Walsh probably felt that someone has taken his baby, the WCO, and bastardized it by grafting on a different running attack than split backs. But it was the wave of the future.

I recall a lot of quick hitting slants and stuff. we didn't give them time to rush the QB. get it out quick to your WR and let them make plays.

pbmax
01-12-2015, 09:32 AM
I recall a lot of quick hitting slants and stuff. we didn't give them time to rush the QB. get it out quick to your WR and let them make plays.

I could be wrong, but I think that was a young Packers line, not yet the dominant unit they became. It was the year after the Ravens Super Bowl, so a 2001 regular season game. By the end of the year, that result make more sense, but at the time everyone on the line was very young. Flanagan had returned from about four different leg surgeries and Rivera had gotten settled into his new spot at RG and quickly became the best lineman on the team until Cliffy got up to speed.

3irty1
01-12-2015, 10:45 AM
I'm more scared of the away version of the Packers than I am of the Seahawks.

They are physical but not in the trenches like the teams that have been our kryptonite in the past. Carolina didn't lose in the trenches. Its a very physical secondary, Wagner is a tone setter linebacker, but that DL is getting by mostly on reputation these days. Even before they lost Mebane at NT they weren't exactly a brick wall. Trying to beat their defense to the edge is a waste of time but the Packers should be able to get something going up the middle this time, enough to set up play action.

On offense the Dallas team we just beat is a lot more physical. The Seattle offense is more about finding green grass through misdirection than imposing their will with power football. Wilson is a fucking wizard and Marshawn Lynch can't be tackled sometimes but they are a shell of what they were even week 1. They lost their stud TE Zach Miller, they lost Percy Harvin, and Saturday they even lost their top draft pick WR. Whats left is probably the worst group of receivers in the NFL.

pbmax
01-12-2015, 11:02 AM
They need to get pass pro in gear from the start, hopefully Linsley has learned a thing or two.

But they should be able to run on the Seachickens.

woodbuck27
01-12-2015, 12:00 PM
I'm more scared of the away version of the Packers than I am of the Seahawks.

They are physical but not in the trenches like the teams that have been our kryptonite in the past. Carolina didn't lose in the trenches. Its a very physical secondary, Wagner is a tone setter linebacker, but that DL is getting by mostly on reputation these days. Even before they lost Mebane at NT they weren't exactly a brick wall. Trying to beat their defense to the edge is a waste of time but the Packers should be able to get something going up the middle this time, enough to set up play action.

On offense the Dallas team we just beat is a lot more physical. The Seattle offense is more about finding green grass through misdirection than imposing their will with power football. Wilson is a fucking wizard and Marshawn Lynch can't be tackled sometimes but they are a shell of what they were even week 1. They lost their stud TE Zach Miller, they lost Percy Harvin, and Saturday they even lost their top draft pick WR. Whats left is probably the worst group of receivers in the NFL.

I agree that at WR the Seahawks are relatively small ( Doug Baldwin 5' - 10 " - 189 lbs and Jermaine Kerse 6' - 1" and 209 lbs and #3 WR Kevin Norwood is 6' - 2 " and 199 lbs. ) and should be handled. Russell Wilson likes to target Doug Baldwin and this WR is a tough competitor.

Their current TE Canuck Luke Willson (6' -5" -252 lbs and athletic) has looked very good of late. He can extend plays after the catch and score. He must be accounted for.

The Packers run 'D' (the entire Defense) has a load to deal with in RB Marshawn Lynch. He's a monster at his best. To that add the excellent scrambling ability of Russell Wilson and Ohh Dear !

The Packer 'D' has to come to play and lately that defense is growing. The secondary has to improve over it's rather pedestrian performance Vs Dallas. The team as a whole has to tackle better......again.

Seattle will likely score about 27 points and we simply need more.

Freak Out
01-12-2015, 02:09 PM
1. Score more points than SEA. :)
2. No turnovers.
3. Protect Rodgers.
3. Great play calling and audibles...keep the SEA D off balance and on the field.
4.. No huge plays that score TDs. If you can hold them to FGs through the "bend, don't break" philosophy.
5. Sacrifice a goat or two one hour prior to kickoff.

mraynrand
01-12-2015, 02:12 PM
If we had any semblance of a defense whatsoever, I'd say we have a chance, b/c talentwise, offense vs. offense, I think we have the edge; but our defense is such a mess, and the coaching is so bad, that there is no way we can close the gap.

If only we had a defense like Detroit's #2 defense, that could hold the Cowboys to 24 points, then I might have some confidence in the Packer D.

mraynrand
01-12-2015, 02:20 PM
On offense, Pass protect and trust your receiving depth. If Seattle is going to put their best guys on Nelson and Cobb, then use Quarless, Rodgers, Kuhn, Lacy, Adams, Stark plug, Harris, even Boykin if need be to spread the ball around and keep the chickens guessing where the next pass is gonna go. Don't hesitate going to the check down right away, because seattle will bring pressure and when they do, it will probably get there before Cobb leaks open. Pass protect like crazy and mix in the run, with at least a few against tendency. When you run, no outside stretch runs. Pound it right up the gut, off tackle, or pulls. And whatever you do, be on the lookout for the center over whip pressure.

Bossman641
01-12-2015, 02:27 PM
If only we had a defense like Detroit's #2 defense, that could hold the Cowboys to 24 points, then I might have some confidence in the Packer D.

Our talent and coaching is so subpar that we are one of the 4 teams remaining :talk:

pbmax
01-12-2015, 02:29 PM

Just think where they could be if the D were any good. Deep into the playoffs perhaps.

MadScientist
01-12-2015, 05:28 PM
Some thoughts about the Sea-Car game, just from reading the stats (didn't watch the game).
1) Carolina had 3 turnovers. Killer against Seattle.
2) Seattle had only one real sustained drive, and then ended in a FG. Their touchdowns came from a short field, a long pass, a drive that was basically 2 long passes, and a pick-6.
3) Carolina's punter had a poor showing. Seattle had much better starting field positions.

I think Green Bay's defense has a good chance of slowing down Seattle, and I don't see them turning the ball over like Carolina did. The Packer's punting should be better as well.

That leaves one big question, 'Can the Packers move the ball and score on Seattle?' Not an easy task, but not impossible if Rodgers can hold up. Seattle has looked great down the stretch against a bunch of backup QB's, a SF team that mostly quit, and a Carolina team that isn't all that great. The Packers are better than any of them.

So how to beat Seattle:
1) Protect the rock.
2) Protect the MVP.
3) Don't give up big plays.
4) Pull out the stops. MM and company did some creative things against NE that they weren't expecting, and it worked. Confuse Seattle with things they haven't seen and get them on their heels.
5) Get an early lead - try to quiet the crowd a bit.

denverYooper
01-12-2015, 05:30 PM
Swap their bennies with reds.

wist43
01-12-2015, 05:38 PM
We simply don't match up with them...

I think you can run on them, but you need a power running game to do it - they eat zone blocking alive. To run on them, you need to pull, trap, create angles and creases - we simply do not do that at all. We have 3 running plays that players like Wagner, Chancellor, and Avril can simply undercut or run around.

And in the passing game - what are the odds that MM actually tailors his gameplan to deal with the Seahawks, as opposed to simply coming in with his down the field attack - and giving up 8 sacks in the 1st half??

Our defense vs their offense is an even worse matchup - not that their offense is gangbusters or anything, but they are loaded with gimmicks, and dunderdummy is completely out of his depth when he has to matchup with an opposing coach.

We will surely get gashed by a couple of Jet Sweeps and options - throw that on top of the fact that they are going to run the ball against us, and Wilson taking short drops and being efficient with the ball... dunderdummy is completely overmatched.

We have an outside chance, but absolutely everything has to go our way... and dunderdummy actually has to do his job - that's a lot to ask.

Joemailman
01-12-2015, 05:41 PM
Protect AROD
No turnovers
Contain their run game
Win the turnover battle

Isn't that 6 things?

pbmax
01-12-2015, 06:00 PM
I think you can run on them, but you need a power running game to do it - they eat zone blocking alive. To run on them, you need to pull, trap, create angles and creases - we simply do not do that at all. We have 3 running plays that players like Wagner, Chancellor, and Avril can simply undercut or run around.]

Unlike last year when they spent more than 50% of snaps using ZBS with Lacy (switching to more power stuff later in the year) they have probably dipped below 50% of ZBS this year. Lacy runs a lot of interior stuff with pulling Guards and double teams on the nose, Power O type stuff. You will still see some inside zone and a good dose of outside zone, but you may be surprised at what they roll out there.

You can see the effect on the RBs because Starks gets less effective with less zone.

pbmax
01-12-2015, 06:02 PM
Guy on the radio was blathering on about how CK and Wilson have killed the Packers over the last three years. He seemed to remember the opener this year, but forget the Fail Mary.

Pugger
01-12-2015, 08:32 PM
The strength of our O line is in the middle and the weakest part of Seattle's D line is the middle so I would hope we pound Lacy right up the gut.

woodbuck27
01-12-2015, 08:48 PM
1. Score more points than SEA. :)
2. No turnovers.
3. Protect Rodgers.
3. Great play calling and audibles...keep the SEA D off balance and on the field.
4.. No huge plays that score TDs. If you can hold them to FGs through the "bend, don't break" philosophy.
5. Sacrifice a goat or two one hour prior to kickoff.

Is the goat market in or near the Seattle fish market?

woodbuck27
01-12-2015, 08:51 PM
The strength of our O line is in the middle and the weakest part of Seattle's D line is the middle so I would hope we pound Lacy right up the gut.

Eddie needs space...he's asthmatic.

KYPack
01-12-2015, 09:25 PM
I think you can run on them, but you need a power running game to do it - they eat zone blocking alive. To run on them, you need to pull, trap, create angles and creases - we simply do not do that at all. We have 3 running plays that players like Wagner, Chancellor, and Avril can simply undercut or run around.

Wist, you gotta slow down or speed up or something. You've stated you don't get to see a lot of games, right? They are running all kinds of power/gap runs. Watch the opening play vs the Lions. Linsley and TJ double down on Suh, Bulaga kicks out and Eddie bangs for a nice run. Shit, with Kuhn in there, they run BOB blocks all the time. Quarless has actually improved his blocking skills to execute angle blocks and making decent seals. The 3 ZBS running plays (there are more plays than that in a ZBS, BTW) may have been true 4-5 years ago, MM has shook things up since then.

Another BTW, Capers put together a brilliant D game plan vs Dallas. So ease up on the Dunderdummy, if ya can.

wist43
01-12-2015, 09:56 PM
Wist, you gotta slow down or speed up or something. You've stated you don't get to see a lot of games, right? They are running all kinds of power/gap runs. Watch the opening play vs the Lions. Linsley and TJ double down on Suh, Bulaga kicks out and Eddie bangs for a nice run. Shit, with Kuhn in there, they run BOB blocks all the time. Quarless has actually improved his blocking skills to execute angle blocks and making decent seals. The 3 ZBS running plays (there are more plays than that in a ZBS, BTW) may have been true 4-5 years ago, MM has shook things up since then.

Another BTW, Capers put together a brilliant D game plan vs Dallas. So ease up on the Dunderdummy, if ya can.

No, I watch most games - sometimes we don't get them, sometimes I'm tied up, sometimes my BP is too high, lol... my family almost made me leave the room during the review of Dez's non-catch - wouldn't be the first heart attack trigged by watching football :)

As the old saying for boxing goes - styles make fights. I would expect that we would be more effective against big lines b/c of all the running the zbs requires DL to do - but Seattle is a smallish defensive front that is very quick, and very disciplined, their LB's flow like nobody's business, and their DB's crash and kill like no other team in the league.

Zone blocking plays usually take time to string out and devolop with the back looking for the cutback or the front side play - neither will be available against the Seahawks. The zone play up the middle is quicker hitting, but it still allows those quick players to slide off blocks and make the tackle. Hence my contention that the best scheme to run against them is a power scheme that has a lot of pulling and trapping.

MM has used power in the past, but very sparingly. I didn't pay that close attention during the Cowboy game, but I didn't see any pulling... I saw a lot of reach blocks - which will be impossible against Seattle.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

As for dunderdummy - you've got to be kidding me??!! We sucked against the Cowboys - the statline may not have looked terrible, but by all rights we should have lost that game... we got lucky - very lucky on defense. Cowboy receivers were open all over the field, and Murray was running at over 5 yds/clip... only luck saved us.

There are 3 plays inparticular that stand out... and only 1 of them had anything to do with our defense making a play - and that was a desperation swat by Peppers.

1) The 3rd and 1 where they passed the ball. Romo bumbled it around and essentially had to throw it away. They then had to attempt a long FG, which was NG. Why the Cowboys didn't simply run it for the 1st down - which they could easily have done, is beyond me.

So thanks to their headscratching playcalling - we dodged a bullet there.

2) The Murray fumble. Murray had a hole the size of the Grand Canyon to run thru... I don't know if he'd have scored or not, but it would have been a foot race. As it was, Peppers make a desperation lunge and gets a hand on the ball.

And make no mistake - that was a desperation lunge, b/c if he doesn't do that... Murray is going to run for a long, long way on that play. Another bullet dodged - no thanks to dunderdummy.

3) The Bryant non-catch. If Bryant simply is content to go to the ground under control, the cowboys have 1st and goal at the 1 - and are a 1yd Murray stomp from taking the lead late in the 4th.

The defense stunk, literally stunk most of that game. They tightened up a bit in the 2nd half and were able to produce a couple of coverage sacks, but other than that, DB's were constantly out of position (Williams long TD), the tackling was average at best, and that is a function of being out of position, and receivers were running free all over the place.

No, dunderdummy called an idiotic game - the fact that we won, and the Cowboys did us a lot of favors masks the fact that dunderdummy was classic dunderdummy, i.e. completely overmatched as an NFL DC.

woodbuck27
01-12-2015, 10:01 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2014/story/_/page/lastcall1419/nfc-championship-game-qa-green-bay-packers-face-tough-road-seattle-seahawks

Commentary

NFC Q&A: Packers face tough road

Green Bay will try to reverse fortunes in Seattle with Aaron Rodgers hobbling

Originally Published: January 11, 2015

By: John Clayton | ESPN.com

" CenturyLink Field has been a house of horrors for the Green Bay Packers. "

Comment woodbuick27:

So this time will be different.

wist43
01-12-2015, 10:04 PM
Unlike last year when they spent more than 50% of snaps using ZBS with Lacy (switching to more power stuff later in the year) they have probably dipped below 50% of ZBS this year. Lacy runs a lot of interior stuff with pulling Guards and double teams on the nose, Power O type stuff. You will still see some inside zone and a good dose of outside zone, but you may be surprised at what they roll out there.

You can see the effect on the RBs because Starks gets less effective with less zone.

I've noticed the runs up the middle, but most of them are nothing more than a quick double team with the center or guard passing that player off and getting to the second level. Rarely have I seen G's coming around the center with the playside G or T blocking down - rarely. Those plays are still zone plays.

As I said in the other post, I don't think those plays will be effective against the Seahawks anymore than the stretch plays would be... to catch the Seahawks in the run game, you need to create your own hole, i.e. pulling and trapping - not stringing things out waiting for a hole to develop. The longer a play takes to develop, the more time their speed comes to bear.

I don't expect we'll run for more than 75 yds for the game - especially with Rodgers not running at all.

For the most part, I expect a repeat of week 1, and in case anyone has forgotten - the kicked the living fuck out of us week 1. The game wasn't even competitive.

I fully expect that dunderdummy will be made to look like an idiot, and that it will take MM at least the first half to realize his initial game plan is shit - like I said, a repeat of week 1.

wist43
01-12-2015, 10:35 PM
GB SEA

1st Downs
19 / 25

Passing 1st downs
13 / 8

Rushing 1st downs
4 / 13

1st downs from penalties
2 / 4

3rd down efficiency
6-12 / 4-11

4th down efficiency
0-1 / 1-1

Total Plays
57 / 66

Total Yards
255 / 398

Yards per play
4.5 / 6.0

Total Drives
10 / 10

Passing
175 / 191

Comp-Att
23-33 / 19-28

Yards per pass
4.9 / 6.6

Sacks-Yards Lost
3-14 / 1-0

Rushing
80 / 207

Rushing Attempts
21 / 37

Yards per rush
3.8 / 5.6

Red Zone (Made-Att)
2-3 / 3-5

Penalties
8-65 / 4-69

Turnovers
1 / 1

Possession
26:40 / 33:20

----------------------------------------------------------------------

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That, is a complete ass-waxing... no getting around it.

207 rushing yds allowed; 6.0 yds/play allowed; we gave up a safety; we allowed gimmick plays to embarrass us; we got pushed around on both sides of the LOS.

I don't expect much has changed... except maybe Rodgers isn't healthy, and the Seahawk coaches have had more time to find ways to embarrass dunderdummy.

Cheesehead Craig
01-12-2015, 10:39 PM
Eddie needs space...he's asthmatic.

No he's asthmatic, he needs Albuteral

woodbuck27
01-12-2015, 10:41 PM
Wow wist43:

That's a "how do you like me now" post if I ever saw one. See ....Posts #'s 52 & 53.

No "that was then and this is now" inside of you in terms of favor for Green Bay?

Striker
01-12-2015, 10:48 PM
That, is a complete ass-waxing... no getting around it.

207 rushing yds allowed; 6.0 yds/play allowed; we gave up a safety; we allowed gimmick plays to embarrass us; we got pushed around on both sides of the LOS.

I don't expect much has changed... except maybe Rodgers isn't healthy, and the Seahawk coaches have had more time to find ways to embarrass dunderdummy.

Well, no Derek Sherrod/a healthy Bulaga helps. Not employing a stupid "avoid Sherman" game plan. And Clay in the middle.

pbmax
01-12-2015, 10:52 PM
I've noticed the runs up the middle, but most of them are nothing more than a quick double team with the center or guard passing that player off and getting to the second level. Rarely have I seen G's coming around the center with the playside G or T blocking down - rarely. Those plays are still zone plays.

Then, as KY said, you are not paying enough attention. They have been pulling Sitton a lot, Lang slightly less so. And its an old Power O I believe, with the Guard followed by Kuhn. Perhaps not versus the Boys, but at 4+ ypc, why would you change?

The Packers starting O line had a rookie center and a backup tackle in and the Seachickens are missing Mebane now, so quoting those rush statistics as argument for your analysis is useless.

pbmax
01-12-2015, 10:59 PM
Lions yield 24, good defense.

Packers yield 21, 6th worst output for the Boys all year, its a miracle.

King Friday
01-12-2015, 11:01 PM
wist...I agree with the others. You aren't watching closely enough, or you are just content to stick with the same old routine you used 4 years ago.

Since McCarthy got Lacy, he's been trending AWAY from the zone blocking with him.

Now, I do agree with wist in saying we need to really do full bore on the power run blocking against Seattle. You can't string out the Seattle defense. It doesn't work. If they run a pitch play to Lacy toward the edge, we'll lose 5 yards every time...and McCarthy loves to pull that dumbass play out at least once every week.

smuggler
01-12-2015, 11:02 PM
The Packers starting O line had a rookie center and a backup tackle in and the Seachickens are missing Mebane now, so quoting those rush statistics as argument for your analysis is useless.

Not just Mebane, but Hill (Mebane's backup) as well. I think our O-line should be able to move the Seattle D-line. The problem is that the Seattle back 7 are all good in pursuit and also pretty physical.

pbmax
01-12-2015, 11:06 PM
Now, I do agree with wist in saying we need to really do full bore on the power run blocking against Seattle. You can't string out the Seattle defense. It doesn't work. If they run a pitch play to Lacy toward the edge, we'll lose 5 yards every time...and McCarthy loves to pull that dumbass play out at least once every week.

I think they are eminently susceptible to outside zone, but the only person who cannot see that Lacy doesn't ever use the cutback might be M3. If they put Starks in there, run outside zone, they would hit it. Its built for scorching fast pursuit.

woodbuck27
01-12-2015, 11:06 PM
wist...I agree with the others. You aren't watching closely enough, or you are just content to stick with the same old routine you used 4 years ago.

Since McCarthy got Lacy, he's been trending AWAY from the zone blocking with him.

It's 'the Sweep' without the 'S'.

The Weep.

wist43
01-13-2015, 12:22 AM
I think they are eminently susceptible to outside zone, but the only person who cannot see that Lacy doesn't ever use the cutback might be M3. If they put Starks in there, run outside zone, they would hit it. Its built for scorching fast pursuit.

Don't see it at all... the Seahawks are very well coached, and the front seven players are fast, tough, and disciplined.

I was watching a play on Saturday where Carolina tried to run a screen, and the RB ended up out in front of the OL... my first thought was how in the hell did that play get so disjointed. Was the RB out of position, were the OL out of position, was it too slow developing??

When they showed the replay - and the announcers never picked up on this - you could see one of the Seahawk defensive linemen holding 2 of Carolina's offensive linemen as they were trying to release. They were trying to release, but the defensive linemen (couldn't tell who it was) had both of them stuck in mud - and this was after he had delivered a hard punch to the ORT, slowing his release as well.

As a result, the RB was out in front of the 1 OL that was able to at least get out to the flat - but as soon as the ball arrived, Chancellor just killed the RB at the point of the catch for a 2 yd loss.

That 1 DL recognized what the play was going to be, and instead of breaking free and chasing down the line, he held all the OL up and Chancellor received all the praise from the announcers for blowing the play up.

Now technically, that should have been holding on the defensive linemen - as defensive linemen can be called for holding the same as offensive linemen - but that rarely gets called, rarely, rarely, rarely; and that wasn't the only time I saw the Seahawks holding like that on the line...

If the refs aren't going to call that - and they certainly won't - then our OL aren't likely to be going anywhere anytime soon... that is just one of the ways the Seahawks clog an opponents running game to a halt.

If I were MM, when they meet with the officials pregame - I'd be bitching up a storm about holding by the Seattle defensive linemen.

smuggler
01-13-2015, 01:11 AM
If that's the case, we should be doing the same when they run screens.

But screens are not going to win this game. We need to attack their weakness - at present, if they have one, it's their defensive line. They have some undersized guys in there. We need to focus on running the ball and ball protection. With their DTs thinned out, that's our best chance. And, if we can keep them in single-high safety the entire game, we might be able to sneak in a few shots down the field.

woodbuck27
01-13-2015, 05:41 AM
If that's the case, we should be doing the same when they run screens.

But screens are not going to win this game. We need to attack their weakness - at present, if they have one, it's their defensive line. They have some undersized guys in there. We need to focus on running the ball and ball protection. With their DTs thinned out, that's our best chance. And, if we can keep them in single-high safety the entire game, we might be able to sneak in a few shots down the field.

Will it be this ? :

What we've seen time and time again or MM and Aaron Rodgers will start the game blasting the Seahawks 'D' with a solid running game and suddenly abort. Eddie Lacy will have an asthma attack. Aaron Rodgers will get nailed in the pocket and the Packers will fall behind on the score board. Seattle isn't a team you come back on in their house.

It could be this ! :

I believe the Packers have one decent chance. They have to establish and somehow maintain a solid running game. We need to see both Eddie Lacy and James Starks get busy and gain solid yards. MM and Aaron Rodgers need a strategy that's simple in focus and that's to keep the Seattle Offense off the field. MM game plans for short pass's and to tighten up the Seattle Secondary; with the speed of Jordy Nelson look for a shot or two.

We are fortunate to have a healthy team getting ready for this vital game. The Packers are superior in the passing game but MM has to use his full offensive arsenal to get out front and never let up on this Seattle defense.

Smart and determined will win the day !

GO PACK GO !

pbmax
01-13-2015, 07:42 AM
The Dallas running game coordinator is a big zone run scheme guy. They got Murray 115 yards. I have not seen that game in a while, but its clearly not impossible.

Lacy is better with other options though, so I hope to see some of those more than outside zone with him.

Bossman641
01-13-2015, 07:46 AM

Packers yield 21 based on pure luck, 6th worst output for the Boys all year, its a miracle.

Fixed

mraynrand
01-13-2015, 08:16 AM

Packers yield 21, 6th worst output for the Boys all year, its a miracle.

Wist has become what he hates the most - one who alters reality to fit his preconceived notions.

The Packers' defense is pretty much exactly what it is - a poor defense that got better over the bye to become a top 10 defense. They can be had of course, just not as easily as at the beginning of the year. Dallas scored more on Seattle and Detroit than on GB. Some say forcing turnovers is luck, while others see it as good defense. Certainly Wist wouldn't attribute Seattle's forced turnovers to luck.

Familiarity is the culprit: we know what the Packers' weaknesses are, and when other teams are able to exploit those same weaknesses, it looks bad to us. But it's just another version of the broken tile syndrome. Or the grass is greener phenomenon.

The reality is that Seattle has the best defense in the NFL and is playing at home. That's a tall task for the Packers offense. Defense will have to keep the bleeding to a minimum to give the offense a chance. Wonder if we'll see the same "react/contain" defense we saw in the opener? I kinda doubt it.

Bossman641
01-13-2015, 08:51 AM
I haven't seen many Seattle games lately but they killed us by threatening and running the jet sweep in week 1. Looking at their rushing stats, I am assuming they don't run this anymore now that Harvin is gone as none of the other WR has more than 2 carries. I wonder if they will put Turbin or Michael in the slot and test the Packers on misdirection.

This might be the worst group of WR the defense has gone up against all year. The secondary against their TE's and WR's should be a huge mismatch. They just have to play smart and not let Kearse or Luke Wilson sneak behind them.

RashanGary
01-13-2015, 09:09 AM
To win.....

Going to have to be mentally tough. Seattles defense is so good, they change the flow of the game. So...... Even when the offense isn't flowing (and it won't be) they are going to have to remain calm and keep playing smart football. Eventually we will score.

Win turn over battle

Play 2014/2015 Packer football!

pbmax
01-13-2015, 09:31 AM
I haven't seen many Seattle games lately but they killed us by threatening and running the jet sweep in week 1. Looking at their rushing stats, I am assuming they don't run this anymore now that Harvin is gone as none of the other WR has more than 2 carries. I wonder if they will put Turbin or Michael in the slot and test the Packers on misdirection.

This might be the worst group of WR the defense has gone up against all year. The secondary against their TE's and WR's should be a huge mismatch. They just have to play smart and not let Kearse or Luke Wilson sneak behind them.

They have a Harvin replacement but he doesn't touch the ball as much. They aren't running as many Jet Sweeps, but are still doing a lot of misdirection.

smuggler
01-13-2015, 09:51 AM
Dallas' offensive line is significantly better than Seattle's

Also, from what I have been hearing, Seattle's cornerback Byron Maxwell has pneumonia and may be unable to go on Sunday. That's a big blow for Seattle, and makes Davante Adams all the more important in the game.

woodbuck27
01-13-2015, 10:16 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-mike-mccarthy-likely-wont-limit-game-plan-b99424522z1-288349421.html

Holmgren offers blueprint for attacking Seahawks defense

By: Tom Silverstein of the Journal Sentinel

Jan. 12, 2015

(66) Comments

Smidgeon
01-13-2015, 10:35 AM
Wist has become what he hates the most - one who alters reality to fit his preconceived notions.

The Packers' defense is pretty much exactly what it is - a poor defense that got better over the bye to become a top 10 defense. They can be had of course, just not as easily as at the beginning of the year. Dallas scored more on Seattle and Detroit than on GB. Some say forcing turnovers is luck, while others see it as good defense. Certainly Wist wouldn't attribute Seattle's forced turnovers to luck.

Familiarity is the culprit: we know what the Packers' weaknesses are, and when other teams are able to exploit those same weaknesses, it looks bad to us. But it's just another version of the broken tile syndrome. Or the grass is greener phenomenon.

The reality is that Seattle has the best defense in the NFL and is playing at home. That's a tall task for the Packers offense. Defense will have to keep the bleeding to a minimum to give the offense a chance. Wonder if we'll see the same "react/contain" defense we saw in the opener? I kinda doubt it.

I think this game will be like the last few (excluding Dallas) playoff games: the D does enough to win, leaving it up to the Offense to win it. In previous years, that didn't work out so well as the offense for whatever reason wasn't hitting on all cylinders. I am hoping the Dallas game (especially the fourth quarter) exorcized those demons and they come out hot or at least well above luke warm.

This game comes down to whether or not the Packers O (not D) can execute effectively.

mraynrand
01-13-2015, 11:04 AM
Ya, the defense can only be expected to do so much. It's crazy how much offense there is now. 17 QBs with passer ratings over 90; pretty much 12 QBs with 4,000 or more yards passing. Packers are going to have to find a way to possess the ball and score probably 24 points or more because the chickens are going to get points. The main thing the Packer O has to do (for the D) (other than to score) is avoid 3 and outs and turnovers and if they don't score, consistently change field position to give their defense a long field to defend and for adequate rest.

KYPack
01-13-2015, 11:27 AM

This is exactly what I was going to post.

Wist, you range from the voice of reason to the echo of doom on here. Sometimes you are right, sometimes it's the same old drone. This season, Capers elevated this defense from the toilet to a respectable unit.

We were dead last in rush D in the first part of the year. Your gloomy posts were the stone truth. But as the D improved, you keep to the same message. Capers totally re-tooled this defense to make 'em an effective unit. We moved from 32 in rush D to 23. We had to improve a lot to be in the bottom third. Capers addressed some of your criticisms in that make-over. In his 6 front nickel he went 3-3 in the front a lot more, giving less snaps in your hated 2-4. He still played 2-4, but brought Burnett down in the box in run support. In base, he moved Clay to ILB and got Barrington on the field. Peppers got his sea legs and was positioned perfectly by Capers, while getting the plays off he needs to stay fresh. In a real sound move, he used Nick Perry as a bull type OLB and lessened his coverage responsibility. On the back end, he went to a cover 3, playing Dix as a one high, shading him to the strong side.

in short, Capers made off-season moves in the middle of the year. He even addressed some of Wist's criticisms and did a makeover.

Go ahead and claim a little credit Wist. Some of your points were valid, but you should recognize Capers many changes. Most of 'em worked.

pbmax
01-13-2015, 11:33 AM
Holmgren's Plan (woodrow's link)

1. Run on second down (pass rushers are in)
2. Pass on first (big uglies are in)
3. Line up receiver in bunch formations to make DBs switch off and to thwart press coverage
4. Take the 6 or 7 yard pass
5. Don't turn it over (said every coach not named Urban Meyer ever)

mraynrand
01-13-2015, 12:03 PM
Holmgren's Plan (woodrow's link)

1. Run on second down (pass rushers are in)
2. Pass on first (big uglies are in)
3. Line up receiver in bunch formations to make DBs switch off and to thwart press coverage
4. Take the 6 or 7 yard pass
5. Don't turn it over (said every coach not named Urban Meyer ever)

LOL at the championship game reference.

I like point 4. Think back to the fail mary game and the halftime adjustment. Packers were playing their vertical passing offense and Seattle said, hey, we're gonna play you like it's the fourth quarter and we're up by 20 - all out pass rush and zero respect for the run. Bulaga was getting killed (as were others) because there was a wild abandon in the pass rush. So Stubby goes run heavy in the second half and wins the game. In the last two off seasons he and TT agree they need to be able to go to that adjustment as a way of life, so they draft Lacy and maybe even linsley so that they can maul a little bit. But they're still a pass first offense and still a deep passing offense. It may be now that the Rodgers injury and the running game will provide the balance they need to work the ball, instead of always looking for the home run, with the higher risk of getting sacked.

Also enjoyed seeing Holmgren's stubborn love of going against tendency. It worked well for him throughout his coaching career. Stubby is stubborn in the reverse I think - he goes with his best plays thinking "by god, these are our best plays with our best players, they damn well better work!"

Bossman641
01-13-2015, 12:37 PM
They have a Harvin replacement but he doesn't touch the ball as much. They aren't running as many Jet Sweeps, but are still doing a lot of misdirection.

Paul Richardson? He's most similar to Harvin but he has no rushes on the year. Do they use him on swing passes like they did Harvin? He's out with a torn acl.

pbmax
01-13-2015, 01:24 PM
Paul Richardson? He's most similar to Harvin but he has no rushes on the year. Do they use him on swing passes like they did Harvin? He's out with a torn acl.

That would be a definitive explanation about his low level of involvement. My work here is done.

Bossman641
01-13-2015, 01:34 PM
That would be a definitive explanation about his low level of involvement. My work here is done.

Haha, well he just got injured on Sunday. I just wasn't sure whether they were using him or somebody else in the Harvin role over the second half of the year.

smuggler
01-13-2015, 02:22 PM

Except he just tore his ACL against Carolina. The true explanation is that Seattle just doesn't run it much this year.

Edit: What Bossman said.

3irty1
01-13-2015, 03:15 PM
IMO seattle isn't a particularly bad matchup for our defense. They know how to run the ball but this is still the NFL and that's not enough. Our secondary is no legion of boom but against Baldwin and Kearse they might as well be. Without Percy's contributions as a receiver and rusher I expect a weaker opponent against a better defense than we saw in week 1.

My questions are on offense. Its a big exaggeration to say we need to be perfect, if any NFL offense is perfect its a blowout. It'd sure help the cause if we didn't string together three possessions where we turn it over on downs, throw a pick, and fumble for a safety. Its going to take a lot less Sherrod and a lot more of a running game if we want to knock out the champs.

wist43
01-13-2015, 03:40 PM
As I said - our defense against the Cowboys was shit... I gave 3 game changing plays that had they gone the other way, we would have given up 40ish points and 450ish yds - at least.

Those 3 plays went our way, we got lucky - and the Cowboys did us favor after favor with their very questionable playcalling.

We won, so we take it - now we go to Seattle and face the music.

As I said, I think Seattle is beatable - but I think it requires a team that is built differently than we are. They ran for 207 yds against us in the opener; Wilson did anything he wanted - and laughed about it; they gimmicked us several times - and laughed about that!!!

We're simply overmatched in the coaching department - our defense vs their offense; and their great strength, their defense, is greater than our great strength, our offense.

That's the way the game shapes up... similar score to the opener I think. We have a punchers chance, but we need a shit-ton of luck, and bounces, and timely penalties go our way to have any chance at all.

Anybody seen what the line is??

smuggler
01-13-2015, 03:43 PM
Once again, the Seattle O-line is noticeably less awesome than the Dallas O-line, and in general, the Dallas offense is much better than Seattle's offense.

Bossman641
01-13-2015, 03:50 PM
Anybody seen what the line is??

Somewhere around 7.5

CaptainKickass
01-13-2015, 04:07 PM
How do you beat the Seahawks?

Well - here's one way:

http://youtu.be/VVrsGHs2MCk?t=2m58s

:-)

hoosier
01-13-2015, 04:07 PM
I'm no expert on the Sea Squawks but whenever I turn them on I see Wilson completing big play passes to Baldwin and Kearse, and sometimes even their anonymous TEs. I am sure that is at least partly attributable to the amount of attention the opposing defense is paying to the running game, but it does make me wonder whether their wides are really that bad or if they're just underutilized. In what ways do they suck?

wist43
01-13-2015, 05:29 PM
I'm no expert on the Sea Squawks but whenever I turn them on I see Wilson completing big play passes to Baldwin and Kearse, and sometimes even their anonymous TEs. I am sure that is at least partly attributable to the amount of attention the opposing defense is paying to the running game, but it does make me wonder whether their wides are really that bad or if they're just underutilized. In what ways do they suck?

I think they do a great job of setting defenses up... like they did to us in the opener, when Lockette scored on that 30 somthing yd TD.

They had run that read option to Shields side a few times, and saw that dunderdummy was crashing Shields and turning coverage of the WR over to the Safety - rookie HHCD. They faked the read option - and as it turns out Lynch didn't even dive into the line, he drifted out in front of Wilson to provide passpro, if needed; HHCD had far too much distance to cover to get to Lockette, Wilson delivered the ball and Lockette had plenty of time to make a move on the hard charging HHCD - easy, and embarrassing TD.

The Seattle coaching staff simply outcoached dunderdummy on that play... which is easy enough to do.

But that is how they spring their under-talented WR's... they set defenses up for it beautifully. Yes, accounting for the run has a lot to do with it, but that doesn't mean a defense has to go unsound to account for the run and still leave their DB's in sound coverage.

In terms of the chess match - dunderdummy is way out of his depth against the Seahawks. I'll be shocked if they don't hit us for multiple big, easy, embarrassing plays, and it has nothing to do with talent, everything to do with coaching and preparation.

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-13-2015, 05:58 PM
I think they do a great job of setting defenses up... like they did to us in the opener, when Lockette scored on that 30 somthing yd TD.

They had run that read option to Shields side a few times, and saw that dunderdummy was crashing Shields and turning coverage of the WR over to the Safety - rookie HHCD. They faked the read option - and as it turns out Lynch didn't even dive into the line, he drifted out in front of Wilson to provide passpro, if needed; HHCD had far too much distance to cover to get to Lockette, Wilson delivered the ball and Lockette had plenty of time to make a move on the hard charging HHCD - easy, and embarrassing TD.

The Seattle coaching staff simply outcoached dunderdummy on that play... which is easy enough to do.

But that is how they spring their under-talented WR's... they set defenses up for it beautifully. Yes, accounting for the run has a lot to do with it, but that doesn't mean a defense has to go unsound to account for the run and still leave their DB's in sound coverage.

In terms of the chess match - dunderdummy is way out of his depth against the Seahawks. I'll be shocked if they don't hit us for multiple big, easy, embarrassing plays, and it has nothing to do with talent, everything to do with coaching and preparation.

Well, gee, u sorta take all the fun out of being a packerrat, and hoping there is some way for us to beat the seachickens this weekend.

MadScientist
01-13-2015, 06:25 PM
We need to tack up wist's posts to the Seattle locker room, so they can get cocky and over confident.

channtheman
01-13-2015, 06:27 PM
They are beatable. Without watching the games, I have seen that Seattle has been in close games with crappy teams until the very end when a pick six or something made it look like a blowout. Our gameplan week 1, combined with a new center, combined with us generally starting the year like crap means this should be a competitive game. I'm more confident we win this game than I was before the Dallas game.

Maxie the Taxi
01-13-2015, 06:53 PM
They are beatable. Without watching the games, I have seen that Seattle has been in close games with crappy teams until the very end when a pick six or something made it look like a blowout. Our gameplan week 1, combined with a new center, combined with us generally starting the year like crap means this should be a competitive game. I'm more confident we win this game than I was before the Dallas game.

+1
They are beatable in Seattle. The Cowgirls did it. Why not us?

Joemailman
01-13-2015, 07:13 PM
Seahawks offensively have been thriving on big plays. They don't get a lot of 10-15 play drives for TD's. If the Packers can take away the big plays, they have a chance to force the Seahawks to kick field goals when they do move the ball into Packer territory. A couple of weeks ago, the Cardinals were playing tough defense against them until the let Luke Wilson get behind them for an 80 yard TD pass. Last week it was Jermaine Kearse for a 63 yard TD pass. Can't let that happen.

3irty1
01-13-2015, 07:39 PM

Wilson definitely squeezes out every drop of potential those guys have. Lately it does seem like their passing game has been thriving from all the jag on bum matchups available to them over the last couple of months. Both Baldwin and Kearse can disappear for long stretches because neither gets much separation. Baldwin is best as a slot guy, more quick than fast and good at finding room against the zone 7 and 8 man box defenses everyone plays against Seattle. Kearse is the bigger, faster, stronger of the two but isn't really a possession receiver. He's like what Kevin Dorsey will be in a year or so. He's come up big for them in the playoffs last year but as a finesse 9-route receiver without elite size he's the exact type of guy Shields and Tramon erase from existence even if he weren't the poor man's version of a receiver in his mold. To their credit both are serviceable blockers. Lord knows they get enough practice.

Tony Oday
01-13-2015, 07:55 PM
They will slaughter us like Yeoman Jensen on an away mission in Star Trek.

wist43
01-13-2015, 08:09 PM
We need to tack up wist's posts to the Seattle locker room, so they can get cocky and over confident.

Yes that, and someone spike dunderdummy's coffee so that he can't get out of the bathroom for 3 hours...

We'd have a fighting chance then!!!

smuggler
01-13-2015, 08:34 PM
You know, I don't think our corners have been able to come down with a jump ball in a while. I think we're due for one.

3irty1
01-13-2015, 08:45 PM
Seattle would have to drive a bus of virgins into the mount rainier volcano to score 36 again without a bunch of help from our offense. That was the 2nd highest they scored all season and a lot of things had to go just right for it to happen.

KYPack
01-13-2015, 11:36 PM
Anger, guys pissed at the opening loss.

And on a minor note, Dan Quinn Hawk DC is in line for the ATL HC gig.

Remember when we had the one loss team, but Joe PHilbin's kid died and he was up for the Miami HC gig? That shit messes you up. As it will mess up SEA. Better troops, motivated boys on D will make their plays in this game and we will go on to the SB as the team favored to beat Indy, the upset winner over NE.

Hey, it's my dream, ain't it.

mraynrand
01-14-2015, 07:26 AM
KY, no way their DC will be a distraction. Seattle defense plays like terminators or Aliens - they don't give a shit about anything going on around them but coming after you and beating the living hell out of you. Packers will have to have a sustained, four quarter physical and mental toughness to beat 'em. But they have to be smart. Lacy can't be all like lowering his helmet to prove how tough he is, because that's what gets him KO'ed from the game.

mraynrand
01-14-2015, 07:29 AM
Seattle would have to drive a bus of virgins into the mount rainier volcano to score 36 again without a bunch of help from our offense. That was the 2nd highest they scored all season and a lot of things had to go just right for it to happen.

They will only score that much if the offense and/or ST collapses. Their offense against the Packer D is probably only good for 24, best case scenario.

If Boyd is hobbled, that's an extra problem though...

Fosco33
01-14-2015, 07:33 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000458441/article/aaron-rodgers-packers-have-path-to-playoff-revenge-in-seattle

mraynrand
01-14-2015, 07:49 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000458441/article/aaron-rodgers-packers-have-path-to-playoff-revenge-in-seattle

"With a lead blocker and slot receiver capable of digging out the linebacker or safety in the hole, Lacy is able to shoot through the crack en route to a 19-yard gain."

It's a thing of beauty to see Cobb go in there and get the LB off his feet.

Carolina_Packer
01-14-2015, 08:19 AM
Once again, the Seattle O-line is noticeably less awesome than the Dallas O-line, and in general, the Dallas offense is much better than Seattle's offense.

To Wist's point about giving up big plays, Wilson has shown that even if you rush him and get through a line that is not as solid this year, he can break contain and kill you with big runs, and then slide to avoid contact whenever he wants. I know the NFL is trying to protect QB's in the open field, but I really don't like how they can just become like sliding base-runners and just give themselves up when the tacklers are coming. The running backs must love the fact that they are still fair game for getting the crap kicked out of them when they get in the open field. I'm sure you know what you're signing up for.

The tall order is setting the edge to contain Wilson and getting Lynch to the ground regularly, and minimizing his affect. Our run defense was much worse at the start of the season than it is now, but they are still not shut down. I think Burnett has to have a career game, perhaps at the LOS if they decide to challenge Wilson to beat them from the pocket, which assume any success stopping the run. Gap discipline and not falling for their misdirection stuff will also be key.

George Cumby
01-14-2015, 08:23 AM
Nick Perry needs to shine.

hoosier
01-14-2015, 08:28 AM
Wilson definitely squeezes out every drop of potential those guys have. Lately it does seem like their passing game has been thriving from all the jag on bum matchups available to them over the last couple of months. Both Baldwin and Kearse can disappear for long stretches because neither gets much separation. Baldwin is best as a slot guy, more quick than fast and good at finding room against the zone 7 and 8 man box defenses everyone plays against Seattle. Kearse is the bigger, faster, stronger of the two but isn't really a possession receiver. He's like what Kevin Dorsey will be in a year or so. He's come up big for them in the playoffs last year but as a finesse 9-route receiver without elite size he's the exact type of guy Shields and Tramon erase from existence even if he weren't the poor man's version of a receiver in his mold. To their credit both are serviceable blockers. Lord knows they get enough practice.

Well that certainly helps. Thanks.

denverYooper
01-14-2015, 08:57 AM
They don't have to score every time, but Green Bay needs to move the ball every time. They can't take too many 3 and outs or negative plays. No sacks, no penalties, try to stay in positive plays, even if they're short. Get at least a few first downs to keep Seattle from ratcheting field position down. They make a lot of hay that way.

It's going to be interesting. Seattle's last several games against bottom-tier offenses would be like the Packers closing out the season playing Washington, Tennessee, Atlanta, and 3 games against the Bears -- pure strength against pure weakness. That doesn't mean Green Bay won't struggle against them but they'll have their hands full with the Packers offense.

pbmax
01-14-2015, 09:16 AM
I have no doubt Cobb would be willing to take on a LB in the hole, I hope M3 doesn't ask. I think the writer meant the Packers wide run where the slot guy crashes down into a LB to create an edge.

Perry is definitely going to get some snaps and his bull rush will be precisely what we want versus Wilson. And if Boyd is limited, Jones and Pennel will as well. One of those guys having a play in base D would be great.

mraynrand
01-14-2015, 09:20 AM
from a Seattle fan board:

"The Lions and Bucs hardly bothered him with their pass rush, but I found something very interesting about Buffalo. Number 55, Hughes is a standup RDE who gave Rodgers fits the whole game. Rodgers was never comfortable because Hughes was constantly around his blindside and he could feel that pressure. There were way more inaccurate throws against Buffalo than against Tampa and Detroit. The reason this is interesting is because from play one he reminded me of a poor mans Bruce Irvin. If you ask me for one serious key to this game I'm saying Irvin getting blindside pressure could be a key. Irvin takes less upfield chances than he did in previous years and he finds ways to move the QB off his spot without having to rush deep around the tackle. That's exactly what Hughes did and all game I thought, "That's Irvin." When Rodgers has pressure in his face he moves around deftly and makes throws no one else can make. Against Buffalo, Hughes was constantly making him move and he wasn't nearly as accurate."

The combination of the pressure and the coverage is what kills a QB (any QB, including Rodgers), because it erodes confidence. Especially if the QB knows the pressure is coming from the blind spot. Makes him nervous and jumpy, less patient in going through progressions and getting the ball out. This is probably the biggest key to the game. Packers solve the pressure, especially blindside pressure, then everything else will fall in line. Need the run game to slow that down and need Bakhtiari to have a solid game.

Packers4Glory
01-14-2015, 09:22 AM
with their weak WR corp we have to play more base defense don't we? Bring in Perry, move clay inside w/ SB, and Pep on the other side.

IMO this isn't a game for Hyde to play a ton on defense. our corners have to earn their paychecks and shut those guys down so we can bottle up Lynch.

pbmax
01-14-2015, 09:28 AM
Irvin isn't Hughes, but Bach has to be stout, I think that observation is correct.

Fosco's link, the Seattle Defense 3 GIF is an example of a Packer package play. There are routes downfield, Rodgers passes right but watch Bach on the left. He cuts the RDE (successfully) and Kuhn or someone is open short for what is essentially a naked screen. Bulaga blew his cut block though so Rodgers had to delay what was going to be a screen to Lacy and that delay allowed the D to rally forward.

Packers4Glory
01-14-2015, 09:42 AM
from a Seattle fan board:

"The Lions and Bucs hardly bothered him with their pass rush, but I found something very interesting about Buffalo. Number 55, Hughes is a standup RDE who gave Rodgers fits the whole game. Rodgers was never comfortable because Hughes was constantly around his blindside and he could feel that pressure. There were way more inaccurate throws against Buffalo than against Tampa and Detroit. The reason this is interesting is because from play one he reminded me of a poor mans Bruce Irvin. If you ask me for one serious key to this game I'm saying Irvin getting blindside pressure could be a key. Irvin takes less upfield chances than he did in previous years and he finds ways to move the QB off his spot without having to rush deep around the tackle. That's exactly what Hughes did and all game I thought, "That's Irvin." When Rodgers has pressure in his face he moves around deftly and makes throws no one else can make. Against Buffalo, Hughes was constantly making him move and he wasn't nearly as accurate."

The combination of the pressure and the coverage is what kills a QB (any QB, including Rodgers), because it erodes confidence. Especially if the QB knows the pressure is coming from the blind spot. Makes him nervous and jumpy, less patient in going through progressions and getting the ball out. This is probably the biggest key to the game. Packers solve the pressure, especially blindside pressure, then everything else will fall in line. Need the run game to slow that down and need Bakhtiari to have a solid game.

well I hope that we learned something in Buf plus w/ Rodgers lack of mobility. If we can have the RB help out on that side and slip off into the flat every so often maybe we can neutralize that threat effectively. This all goes back to MM creating the perfect gameplan we will need to beat this defense.

I just hope they're a little use to crappy offenses and take some time to get back on their feet vs our offense and weapons. When you play below average competition and then suddenly face top competition it can be a bit jolting. what was once easy isn't quite as easy and it can take time to adjust.

One key I think will be to take advantage of that and get on the board early in the first few drives and get points before they settle in and do what they do on defense.

Since week 6 Seattle hasn't really faced a good offense.

KYPack
01-14-2015, 09:51 AM
KY, no way their DC will be a distraction. Seattle defense plays like terminators or Aliens - they don't give a shit about anything going on around them but coming after you and beating the living hell out of you. Packers will have to have a sustained, four quarter physical and mental toughness to beat 'em. But they have to be smart. Lacy can't be all like lowering his helmet to prove how tough he is, because that's what gets him KO'ed from the game.

Oh, yer right.

The Hawks pound on your ass.

The DC situation is a minor distraction, but every little bit helps.

Another factor is that NOBODY is picking us to win.

That helps a pro develop an attitude.

I'm hoping the boys are pissed off and want to get a little professional redemption.

RashanGary
01-14-2015, 09:52 AM
We've evolved into one of the fastest defenses in football. I think we matchup well with Seattles offense.

denverYooper
01-14-2015, 09:55 AM
Irvin isn't Hughes, but Bach has to be stout, I think that observation is correct.

Fosco's link, the Seattle Defense 3 GIF is an example of a Packer package play. There are routes downfield, Rodgers passes right but watch Bach on the left. He cuts the RDE (successfully) and Kuhn or someone is open short for what is essentially a naked screen. Bulaga blew his cut block though so Rodgers had to delay what was going to be a screen to Lacy and that delay allowed the D to rally forward.

I did LOL at Hughes being a poor man's Bruce Irvin. Buffalo's DL is quite a bit better than Seattle's, with the exception of Bennett.

Speed off of the edge will make me nervous until the Packers can get through a few drives and prove that won't be an issue.

Fosco33
01-14-2015, 10:02 AM
http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/article-1/Up-next-Green-Bay-Packers/7920814a-5463-456a-b517-c775f96ba708

18 - number of tackles missed by Packers in Wk1.

That is a huge key!

Smidgeon
01-14-2015, 10:16 AM
You know, I don't think our corners have been able to come down with a jump ball in a while. I think we're due for one.

Yeah, this year doesn't scream interceptions to me. I miss the days of Nick Collins.

Waiting for HHCD to start grabbing those INTs, but it probably won't be until next year or the year after when he knows this defense in his sleep.

George Cumby
01-14-2015, 11:07 AM
Everyone s favorite pundit, Ask Vic, stated of the Seabuzzards, teams that hit don't like to be hit. I think the Pack, especially the O-Line, come out with something to prove and pound Lacy up their ass like a Starbux enema.

Bossman641
01-14-2015, 11:27 AM
Everyone s favorite pundit, Ask Vic, stated of the Seabuzzards, teams that hit don't like to be hit. I think the Pack, especially the O-Line, come out with something to prove and pound Lacy up their ass like a Starbux enema.

+1. Seattle is fast, but not very big up front.

I think the Seattle D is a little worse than they were in week 1 and our offense is a whole lot better than early in the year.
-Development of Adams and Rodgers
-Normal slow start by the Packer OL
-Sherrod at RT
-Lacy slow start this year

mission
01-14-2015, 12:00 PM
Percy Harvin gone and his "replacement" now out of the year. That's one major thing we don't really have to worry about stopping.

My wife is annoyed with me because I've been going around for the first time all year saying we have zero chance to win this game and it was a fun season and all that. I'm just going into it with absolutely zero expectations and a hidden glimmer of hope. :)

pbmax
01-14-2015, 12:11 PM
To Do List:

Tackle Competently

Cheesehead Craig
01-14-2015, 12:52 PM
To Do List (cont):

Buy Pizza Rolls

George Cumby
01-14-2015, 01:00 PM
To Do List (cont):

Keep RW in the pocket.

Packerfan64
01-14-2015, 01:43 PM
Beating the Seahags at home will be difficult. The Packers need to capitalize on any and all turnovers. The Packers have to limit bad penalties and do not turn the ball over themselves, We will also need a big play or two on special teams.

Smidgeon
01-14-2015, 01:44 PM
To Do List (cont):

Find some lunch.

woodbuck27
01-14-2015, 02:11 PM
To do list:

Never again watch a Seattle Seahawk recorded game and for what reason!?

To try and disprove that this isn't the fastest team in the NFL on defense.

The Seattle Seahawks defense closes on the ball like a bunch of fat chicks at a pastry party.

mraynrand
01-14-2015, 02:20 PM
To Do List (cont):

Find some lunch.

pizza rolls? two birds with one stone...

wist43
01-14-2015, 02:42 PM
Percy Harvin gone and his "replacement" now out of the year. That's one major thing we don't really have to worry about stopping.

My wife is annoyed with me because I've been going around for the first time all year saying we have zero chance to win this game and it was a fun season and all that. I'm just going into it with absolutely zero expectations and a hidden glimmer of hope. :)

I expect I'll be clicking the game off sometime in the 3rd quarter... hopefully we're still reasonably in it at half-time, but it wouldn't surprise me if we were already in blowout territory.

pbmax
01-14-2015, 02:47 PM
To Do List (cont):

Buy Pizza Rolls

:lol:

My favorite movie reviewer would agree.

pbmax
01-14-2015, 02:48 PM
To Do List (cont):

Have silent count go higher than one (head bob).

mraynrand
01-14-2015, 03:03 PM
because everyone is so excited that Richardson was lost for the season, I fully expect Pete Carroll to try at least one deep fly with Ricardo Lockette very early in the game. Dude has great speed, and Carroll really enjoys sticking it to the naysayers. It's the kind of thing his players respond to as well. "Oh, we lost a top WR? Boo, hoo, we're gonna be better because of it." Pete will come onto the field and pump his fist as Lockette crosses the goal line.

3irty1
01-14-2015, 03:07 PM
Beyond just a list of cliche "dont's" that are needed for winning any football game, here's the strategies I think are important specific to this game:

On defense

Marshawn Lynch is going to get some yards. This is a well executed zbs scheme with some twists thanks to Wilson's athleticism. No matter what you plan, they can create a numbers advantage through leverage, effectively blocking a man with scheme alone. Carolina did nothing special, they just have stud linebackers who don't miss tackles. The Packers are in a better position than most to ask more of their secondary in the run game. The double switch of Perry at OLB and Matthews at MLB is ideal for this game. Okung excels against speed but is susceptible to power and Perry is the best edge defender on the team. Matthews in the middle puts him in a position to get more opportunities than anyone to bring down Lynch and pursue Wilson. On the other side is rookie Justin Britt who hasn't developed as well as some others like our Linsley. This is a key matchup for us, I like having Peppers towering over Wilson on the side where he's most likely to scramble. The Seattle passing game is very different than week one with Harvin but still the same in that it's supplementary with the goal of putting maximum horizontal pressure on the defense. This is now achieved through the use of bunch formations to give pedestrian WR's free releases. I expect even more bunch formations this week just to get their best receiving talent on the field, there isn't much left but TEs and slot WRs. Dallas and San Diego held Seattle in check mostly by playing defense with offense which is obviously the best scenario for the highest scoring offense in the league but I feel we're as well equipped as any to handle this offense.

On offense

This is clearly what this game is about. The number one offense facing the number one defense. Contrary to popular opinion, I'd give Richard Sherman the exact same treatment as last game. Its not cowardice, its offense and the reasons for doing it are still sound. If he wants to cover Jordy Nelson we should make him leave his comfort zone to do it and I expect he will this time. He must really love that side of the field but I doubt its worth letting us dictate all the matchups.

Week 17 Seattle lost interior rusher Jordan Stills for the year which deepened the wound of an already battered unit. Those snaps are now going to the double switch of Bennett and Irvin and the rest to emergency waiver pickup Demarcus Dobbs. For the last two weeks this defense now has just two lineman on the roster weighing 300 lbs. The sensible path to victory goes through Eddie Lacy. We'll likely spend much of the game in shotgun formations due to Rodgers calf. Getting completions underneith to Lacy and the TE's early and utilizing the no huddle to prevent substitutions could get us some drastically undersized defensive fronts to run against. This is how you can find a rhythem and keep Seattle's defense uncomfortable.

I think the biggest obstacle in this game is the fact that its away. We've not been able to execute well on the road all year, I don't see what that should change against Seattle. We don't need to be perfect or lucky, we don't even need to play our best game, but we do need to make this our best road game. The record for first seeds vs second seeds is 15-9 all time and that's about the odds I give us. 37.5% chance of winning. Take the Packers to cover.

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-14-2015, 03:42 PM
The thing I don't understand is why my gut keeps telling me we win this? Maybe because everybody else and their brother is picking Seattle??

mission
01-14-2015, 03:45 PM
The thing I don't understand is why my gut keeps telling me we win this? Maybe because everybody else and their brother is picking Seattle??

I believe this is the first time in Aaron Rodgers' entire career that he's been a TD underdog.

There's NO ONE that thinks the Packers win this. Cowherd was laughing the other day, basically telling Cowboy fans to relax because them and the Packers have zero chance of beating the Seahawks.

woodbuck27
01-14-2015, 03:58 PM
If Aaron Rodgers is going to pass into the Richard Sherman's coverage I believe the routes have to be up and in.

If a QB passes to a spot Richard Sherman will pick it. Pass's over the top up the right sideline are risky.

How do you handle Marshawn Lynch? That man is simply outstanding in how he sheds tacklers. He's the Tasmanian Devil of NFL RB's. Of his approx. 1500 yards about half of those are from runs after contact. He's difficult to bring down.

Add the skills of Russell Wilson to the Seattle running attack and you've got a load.

We have one decent chance in this game. The Packer defense has to take their game to a level higher than we've seen in any other game this season. The team has to demonstrate that it really wants this game with a lot of energy that's evident to us. I mean get to the ball carrier fast and get his ass on the ground.

The Packer defense has to watch out for fast rising TE Luke Willson. This young man has great hands and athleticism and is fast and very strong. Like Lynch I've see evidence that he's difficult to tackle. If he gets by you with the ball and his outstanding speed...he'll score.

The Packer WR's simply need to beat coverage. Get open and make the catch; secure the ball.

Eddie Lacy is a similar RB to Marshawn Lynch. Eddie has to just do what's he's been doing the last half dozen games.

We'll see our team win this game. A lot of experts are going to be surprized. This is Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers year. The Packers are going to go to Seattle and defeat a very strong team.

woodbuck27
01-14-2015, 04:00 PM
I believe this is the first time in Aaron Rodgers' entire career that he's been a TD underdog.

There's NO ONE that thinks the Packers win this. Cowherd was laughing the other day, basically telling Cowboy fans to relax because them and the Packers have zero chance of beating the Seahawks.

I get it because you cannot observe the Seattle Seahawks and not be impressed. This's a scary team.

The Green bay Packers must be at their very best and the Seattle Seahawks a tad off or the NFC Champion will be the Seattle Seahawks.

To get to the Super Bowl the Packers must beat the best.

George Cumby
01-14-2015, 04:17 PM

My gut too. Woody's as well. KY also on board. You aren't alone.

mraynrand
01-14-2015, 04:46 PM
If Aaron Rodgers is going to pass into the Richard Sherman's coverage I believe the routes have to be up and in.

hey, I actually agree! Sherman has great outside technique. His ability to maintain coverage and keep his eyes on the QB are uncanny, esp if he has the WR along the sideline.

woodbuck27
01-14-2015, 05:17 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/12162283/aaron-rodgers-green-bay-packers-not-scared-throwing-richard-sherman-direction?ex_cid=espnapi_public

Rodgers: Ton of respect for Sherman

Updated: January 14, 2015, 5:18 PM ET

" ... Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers say they aren't afraid of throwing at Richard Sherman.

But that doesn't mean they actually will throw the way of the Seattle Seahawks All-Pro cornerback often in Sunday's NFC Championship Game.

"You have to be aware of him," Rodgers said Tuesday on his ESPN Milwaukee radio show. "Not scared of him, but you have a ton of respect for him.

"Look at the numbers, they don't lie. Not a lot of guys catch passes on his side, and for the amount of times he's targeted, his interception totals are very impressive. You just have to play your game, but if he's locking his guy down, he's probably not going to get a lot of passes thrown his way."..."

denverYooper
01-14-2015, 05:17 PM
hey, I actually agree! Sherman has great outside technique. His ability to maintain coverage and keep his eyes on the QB are uncanny, esp if he has the WR along the sideline.

He can't go to his left (http://mmqb.si.com/2015/01/13/richard-sherman-seattle-seahawks-nfc-championship-game-nfl-playoffs/) on the basketball court.

“All he did was post up on me,” Sherman says, “and then when I had the ball he knew I couldn’t go left.”

Obviously he's not exactly harmed on the football field by being right-dominant but what if there's a chink in his armor when you force him to work more with his left hand?

mraynrand
01-14-2015, 05:23 PM
"watching the Cowboys-Packers playoff game in the cocoon of Sherman’s 9,435-square-foot mansion outside Seattle."

a 9,435-square foot home isn't a cocoon, unless it came from Mothra

mraynrand
01-14-2015, 05:35 PM
He can't go to his left (http://mmqb.si.com/2015/01/13/richard-sherman-seattle-seahawks-nfc-championship-game-nfl-playoffs/) on the basketball court.

Obviously he's not exactly harmed on the football field by being right-dominant but what if there's a chink in his armor when you force him to work more with his left hand?

“All he did was post up on me,” Sherman says, “and then when I had the ball he knew I couldn’t go left.”

I like the idea of posting him up. Finley would have been ideal!

woodbuck27
01-14-2015, 05:43 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/12157153/why-seattle-seahawks-nfl-last-great-defense

Seahawks are NFL's last elite defense

In an era that strongly favors offense, Seattle's dominance unlikely to be duplicated

By: Jeffri Chadiha | ESPN.com ... Originally Published: January 13, 2015

" Former Pittsburgh Steelers defensive tackle Joe Greene is picky when it comes to watching NFL games. When he plops down on the sofa in his suburban Dallas home, the Sunday action usually doesn't hold his attention for long. He'll fidget with his remote, scroll through the channels and then roll his eyes at the mediocrity displayed on his big screen. The only time Greene, a Hall of Famer who anchored one of the best defenses in history, is consistently entertained is when the Seattle Seahawks are playing.

That's when he'll lean forward in his seat and focus on the activity. When Greene watches Seattle's defensive players flying around the football, he has the expertise to accurately assess what he sees: a unit that might go down as one of the best ever. "

KYPack
01-14-2015, 06:04 PM
Beyond just a list of cliche "dont's" that are needed for winning any football game, here's the strategies I think are important specific to this game:

On defense

Marshawn Lynch is going to get some yards. This is a well executed zbs scheme with some twists thanks to Wilson's athleticism. No matter what you plan, they can create a numbers advantage through leverage, effectively blocking a man with scheme alone. Carolina did nothing special, they just have stud linebackers who don't miss tackles. The Packers are in a better position than most to ask more of their secondary in the run game. The double switch of Perry at OLB and Matthews at MLB is ideal for this game.
On offense

This is clearly what this game is about. The number one offense facing the number one defense. Contrary to popular opinion, I'd give Richard Sherman the exact same treatment as last game. Its not cowardice, its offense and the reasons for doing it are still sound. If he wants to cover Jordy Nelson we should make him leave his comfort zone to do it and I expect he will this time. He must really love that side of the field but I doubt its worth letting us dictate all the matchups.

Week 17 Seattle lost interior rusher Jordan Stills for the year which deepened the wound of an already battered unit. Those snaps are now going to the double switch of Bennett and Irvin and the rest to emergency waiver pickup Demarcus Dobbs. For the last two weeks this defense now has just two lineman on the roster weighing 300 lbs. The sensible path to victory goes through Eddie Lacy. We'll likely spend much of the game in shotgun formations due to Rodgers calf. Getting completions underneith to Lacy and the TE's early and utilizing the no huddle to prevent substitutions could get us some drastically undersized defensive fronts to run against. This is how you can find a rhythem and keep Seattle's defense uncomfortable.

Take the Packers to cover.

(Some snippage to accommodate brevity)

Great post 31.

We have a punchers chance, if we punch in the right spots.

3irty1
01-14-2015, 06:12 PM

My bullshit speculation of course but that could possibly explain why he strongly prefers playing the right sideline. When you watch him press its a one-handed technique during his drop. Using his right hand to extend he's already turned in case he needs inside technique up the sideline.
http://www.pictureshack.us/images/19603_ShermanISOSlow.gif

Joemailman
01-14-2015, 06:37 PM
Reasons the Packers are better now than they were opening night:

Linsley and Ha-Ha were rookies starting their 1st NFL game in the toughest environment possible.

Adams and Richard Rodgers were not factors in the offense then. They are now.

Bryan Bulaga got hurt and had to be replaced by the since released Derek Sherrod.

Brad Jones was starting at ILB. He has been replaced by Matthews/Barrington.

Eddie Lacy was not running effectively early in the season. He's a beast now.

pbmax
01-14-2015, 07:46 PM
I am stunned to see Steve Smith stopped by a one handed punch. Smith isn't tall and he is old, maybe he has lost a thing or two or just didn't expect it in that spot.

But any receiver worth his salt should be able to abuse that technique. Not to mention stopping and bumping into Smith should be illegal contact or DPI, it was after five yards.

Unfortunately, I suspect if someone has trashed this technique earlier, I would have been alerted to the fire alarms going off at the First Take set.

woodbuck27
01-14-2015, 08:05 PM
I am stunned to see Steve Smith stopped by a one handed punch. Smith isn't tall and he is old, maybe he has lost a thing or two or just didn't expect it in that spot.

But any receiver worth his salt should be able to abuse that technique. Not to mention stopping and bumping into Smith should be illegal contact or DPI, it was after five yards.

Unfortunately, I suspect if someone has trashed this technique earlier, I would have been alerted to the fire alarms going off at the First Take set.

I don't recall that play on my recording. I erased that yesterday.

Normally after a play like that Steve Smith would go hunting Richard Sheman's head.

I wonder what happened after that DPI by Richard Sherman? Was a DPI called? Did Smith attack Sherman?

3irty1
01-14-2015, 08:12 PM

He does it all the time and it seems to work well for him.

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1813373/iSwsySGv4lniu.gif

Just enough to disrupt the timing while minimizing the risk typically associated with press coverage.

channtheman
01-14-2015, 08:16 PM
My gut too. Woody's as well. KY also on board. You aren't alone.

Add me to that list. I think Seattle is good but a bit overrated. They've played very few decent QB's this year. Week 1 was a mirage, and we will not see a repeat of that.

pbmax
01-14-2015, 08:26 PM
Well, that shot doesn't really stop Fitz, maybe slows him down a touch. It might as much to help Sherman get up to speed as slow down Fitz.

But its a bad throw, short and away from the sideline. Sherman can afford to look at the QB in the short area not because of route concepts, but because the safety is over the top, being patently unworried about the other side of the formation.

pbmax
01-14-2015, 08:29 PM
I am not sure he will risk it with a hobbled Rodgers, but you can see why McCarthy was going deep in the Fail Mary game early. Nelson or Jones were going to get on top of that coverage, the safety will need to choose and a deep sideline throw will beat either CB. Rodgers just didn't have enough time while Bulaga and Newhouse struggled.

King Friday
01-14-2015, 09:38 PM
John Kuhn's days are numbered. He's pathetically slow these days. He's having trouble holding onto the easiest of dump off passes. However, John Kuhn will be one of the most important players on the roster this week.

Kuhn's blocking will be absolutely necessary to win this game at Seattle. He has to get to the second level and wipe out the LBs for our run game to do the kind of damage necessary to win this game.

The value of the FB has declined along with the strength of NFL defenses. In this game, against an elite defense, Kuhn's value will be readily apparent if the Packers use him properly.

denverYooper
01-14-2015, 09:45 PM
I am not sure he will risk it with a hobbled Rodgers, but you can see why McCarthy was going deep in the Fail Mary game early. Nelson or Jones were going to get on top of that coverage, the safety will need to choose and a deep sideline throw will beat either CB. Rodgers just didn't have enough time while Bulaga and Newhouse struggled.

They can be had by a good QB who's willing to attack those. Rivers this year and Luck last year had some success there. Both of those guys are less risk averse as elite QB's go, which is probably another element needed.

It'd be interesting to see them play good Flacco. He lives (and died) on those.

KYPack
01-14-2015, 09:57 PM
Rodgers just didn't have enough time while Bulaga and Newhouse struggled.

It was Sherrod.

Doesn't it seem like he was from a different era, but only was cut a few months ago?

For all you Marshmallow fans, the Bengals benched him and picked up Eric Winston as a replacement.

smuggler
01-14-2015, 10:07 PM
The way to beat Sherman's press move is to have the receiver push off at the snap and hit another player on the underside of it for an easy 5-8 yards. He's bailing at the start, and he'd be smaller than Jordy, Boykin, or Adams.

It's similarly weak against a run call.

pbmax
01-15-2015, 07:48 AM
It was Sherrod.

Doesn't it seem like he was from a different era, but only was cut a few months ago?

For all you Marshmallow fans, the Bengals benched him and picked up Eric Winston as a replacement.

I was talking about the 2012 game, the Fail Mary when M3 and AR came out looking to go long. Newhouse had replaced Clifton at LT.

mraynrand
01-15-2015, 08:25 AM

Didn't see that one coming. Was certain Outhouse would make the pro bowl with the Bengals.

KYPack
01-15-2015, 08:45 AM
I was talking about the 2012 game, the Fail Mary when M3 and AR came out looking to go long. Newhouse had replaced Clifton at LT.

OOps.

Yer right, should have caught the reference to Jones as WR.

3irty1
01-15-2015, 01:23 PM
These Seahawks are built opposite the 2010 Packers defense but with a similar philosophy.

Their great strength is their secondary, but what good is a secondary if you don't get to use it? They scheme almost exclusively against the run. 4-3 over aligned as a 3-4 would with a 2-gaping NT and 5-tech on the field. 8 in the box is so normal with Kam Chancellor you could call their base D a 4-4 split. They dare you to pass which maximizes their advantage.

In 2009 the Packers were an elite rushing defense. In 2010 we used this to our advantage by daring our opponents to run by staying in nickel all the time. Seattles version is much better because its inherently resilient to playing defense with offense but the game planning philosophy is the same. In 2011 even though we kept selling out against the pass, our pass defense sprung enough leaks that the whole defense unraveled anyways.

Mebane could be their version of Nick Collins. Maybe not on his own but with the recent injury of Hill (basically this season's Clinton McDonald), that front could be leaky enough for us to run on even while they're daring us to pass. It's tough sledding but every play we're on the field is another opportunity for the MVP to find an exploit. Opportunities multiply as they are seized right?

I can't believe its only Thursday.

Pugger
01-15-2015, 02:38 PM

If the officials allow their secondary to bump our guys after 5 yards we might have a problem. Wasn't this crap they did last year the reason why the zebras were told to watch for that and penalize accordingly? After seeing that clip from the playoff game against Carolina - I'm assuming this clip is from that game - it appears the PI and illegal contact was being ignored again. :x

Pugger
01-15-2015, 02:40 PM
Well, that shot doesn't really stop Fitz, maybe slows him down a touch. It might as much to help Sherman get up to speed as slow down Fitz.

But its a bad throw, short and away from the sideline. Sherman can afford to look at the QB in the short area not because of route concepts, but because the safety is over the top, being patently unworried about the other side of the formation.

Its been a while since Seattle has played an elite QB. The last time they did - Dallas and Romo had been playing great this year - they got beat at home.

mraynrand
01-15-2015, 02:42 PM
If the officials allow their secondary to bump our guys after 5 yards we might have a problem. Wasn't this crap they did last year the reason why the zebras were told to watch for that and penalize accordingly? After seeing that clip from the playoff game against Carolina - I'm assuming this clip is from that game - it appears the PI and illegal contact was being ignored again. :x

Nah, that has to be at least last year - Smith was with the Ravens this year. Still, I'm certain he was getting similarly punched by Browner in the Patriot's game!

Pugger
01-15-2015, 02:43 PM
Nah, that has to be at least last year - Smith was with the Ravens this year. Still, I'm certain he was getting similarly punched by Browner in the Patriot's game!

Yes, you are right. Smith isn't with Carolina now. My bad.

3irty1
01-16-2015, 08:43 AM
Here's an excellent article about what the Packers might do differently against Seattle:

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/01/14/2015-nfl-playoffs-conference-championship-matchups-colts-packers

Guiness
01-16-2015, 09:37 AM
I think Kam Chancellor will have a big an impact as anyone on this game. He's a ball hawk and but maybe more importantly very good in run support. How successful he is in bringing down Lacy will matter a lot.

Will he try to jump over the line on a kick this week-end? There's tape on it now, so it would be much more difficult. He must've had the snap count down against Carolina, that stadium and the noise forcing a silent snap count would be a big help with that.

denverYooper
01-16-2015, 09:41 AM
I think Kam Chancellor will have a big an impact as anyone on this game. He's a ball hawk and but maybe more importantly very good in run support. How successful he is in bringing down Lacy will matter a lot.

Will he try to jump over the line on a kick this week-end? There's tape on it now, so it would be much more difficult. He must've had the snap count down against Carolina, that stadium and the noise forcing a silent snap count would be a big help with that.

He mentioned somewhere that they noticed Carolina's longsnapper had a tell so he knew exactly when to jump.

Fosco33
01-16-2015, 09:44 AM

He'd be a fool to do it with 4 and less than 5. We could easily change a silent count trigger and get a 1st down.

For 4 > 5- he'd be dumb to do it on long FGs - as any penalty would make a 2nd attempt easier.

For those other cases - I was shocked that the OL didn't pop up and clip his feet (on the 2nd attempt). As the Rams (Bates?) did it vs. the Giants (and the Niners) - it's now getting to be old news. The announcers were saying - "OMG, I've never seen that before...." they just may not watch ESPN.

I don't trust that Slocum will have them ready though... Fire that idiot. :-)

Pugger
01-16-2015, 09:49 AM

I read somewhere online yesterday that Chancellor should have been penalized for lining up in front of the center and jumping over him like he did. We got flagged for having a player in front of the center against Miami in GB back in 2010. Evidently for safety's sake you aren't allowed to line up in front the center at all in FG/Xtra point tries.

vince
01-16-2015, 09:54 AM
It's probably been posted many times over, but I think the key to winning this game will be to stop Russell Wilson from sliding through gaps in the rushing lanes and running for key first downs on third down. He was 8 for 8 on third down against the Panthers I believe, whether running or throwing. He's a good passer but he's lethal when he's also running for big first downs. Lynch'll get his but as long as he has to work for his yards the Packers D will be OK if not for Wilson consistently moving the chains on third down. Those are back-breakers and he, along with Rodgers if he could run, are the best at improvising on second and third looks with a lot of space in front of them.

The first team to 24 wins I think. Packers got a shot but they're clearly the underdog.

Oday's lack of faith concerns me. He's been leading the charge when the rest of the world has been down on the Pack it seems, so if you're not seeing it Tony, the Packers are in trouble.

Maybe DickRod will ring Chancelor's bell on a quick pass down the seam and sit him down or something to tilt the field to the Packers' side. Someone like Jarrett Bush, Hyde, Quarless, Daniels or even Brad Jones (yes I fear he's going to see time as Wilson's spy in some of those third down situations) needs to make a passionate play to get momentum and make Seattle, their fans and the world go, "Where the hell did THAT come from?"

Stubby with a trick play, fake punt or something - maybe Cobb throwing one out of the backfield in this one to take advantage of Seattle's aggressiveness. I've seen him throw in camp and he does have a gun going to his left.

HUGE game with HUGE ramifications. Win, lose or draw, it's gonna be fun.

denverYooper
01-16-2015, 09:55 AM
He'd be a fool to do it with 4 and less than 5. We could easily change a silent count trigger and get a 1st down.

For 4 > 5- he'd be dumb to do it on long FGs - as any penalty would make a 2nd attempt easier.

For those other cases - I was shocked that the OL didn't pop up and clip his feet (on the 2nd attempt). As the Rams (Bates?) did it vs. the Giants (and the Niners) - it's now getting to be old news. The announcers were saying - "OMG, I've never seen that before...." they just may not watch ESPN.

I don't trust that Slocum will have them ready though... Fire that idiot. :-)

If they bait him into it and/or Lang takes him out, he'll probably end up in the lockerroom going through the concussion protocol.

Fosco33
01-16-2015, 09:59 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2015/01/13/kam-chancellor-block-leap-field-goal-protection-seattle-seahawks-green-bay-packers/21695151/

Cheesehead Craig
01-16-2015, 10:10 AM
I read somewhere online yesterday that Chancellor should have been penalized for lining up in front of the center and jumping over him like he did. We got flagged for having a player in front of the center against Miami in GB back in 2010. Evidently for safety's sake you aren't allowed to line up in front the center at all in FG/Xtra point tries.

Actually he jumped over the G. The DL left a gap there for him.

mraynrand
01-16-2015, 10:10 AM
It's probably been posted many times over, but I think the key to winning this game will be to stop Russell Wilson from sliding through gaps in the rushing lanes and running for key first downs on third down.

Contain Wilson is the key on defense. He's been absolute money for them, making plays running around, extending plays, picking up first downs. All that does is uncover pedestrian offensive weapons. I'd look for Seattle to try to go deep with their young WR speed. If Wilson isn't kept between the tackles, guys will get open, and get open deep. Wilson has the arm to get it to them. Have to keep him bottled up.

vince
01-16-2015, 10:15 AM
Contain Wilson is the key on defense. He's been absolute money for them, making plays running around, extending plays, picking up first downs. All that does is uncover pedestrian offensive weapons. I'd look for Seattle to try to go deep with their young WR speed. If Wilson isn't kept between the tackles, guys will get open, and get open deep. Wilson has the arm to get it to them. Have to keep him bottled up.
He's money no doubt about it. At least he'll be costing Seattle what he's worth to them very soon. Unfortunately that don't mean shit this Sunday.

denverYooper
01-16-2015, 10:23 AM
He's money no doubt about it. At least he'll be costing Seattle what he's worth to them very soon. Unfortunately that don't mean shit this Sunday.

Agreed. They're about to have rich team problems very, very soon though not soon enough.

QBME
01-16-2015, 10:28 AM
Well, this one falls under the "Every Little Bit Helps" category:

The Seahawks have never played a noon game at home. As much as NFL teams love a routine, maybe this will annoy them just a bit.

denverYooper
01-16-2015, 10:29 AM
The Packers are really in a good spot. They've got the league's best offense, their best OL, the (hobbled) MVP, a good running game and a much improved defense. Their defense can play well without relying on turnovers. Special teams still sucks but it is what it has been -- a liability that often leaks field position. And yet, they're getting very little respect in the media. Tanier might have been the most positive about their chances in this game and picked them to lose by 2. This is the moment where M3 thrives.

vince
01-16-2015, 10:37 AM
The Packers are really in a good spot. They've got the league's best offense, their best OL, the (hobbled) MVP, a good running game and a much improved defense. Their defense can play well without relying on turnovers. Special teams still sucks but it is what it has been -- a liability that often leaks field position. And yet, they're getting very little respect in the media. Tanier might have been the most positive about their chances in this game and picked them to lose by 2. This is the moment where M3 thrives.
This is the kind of game where McCarthy will look to be aggressive with his game management. Unless the Packers go up early and stay there, I think something unusual will happen and it'll be based on a decision by McCarthy.

mraynrand
01-16-2015, 10:39 AM
The Seahawks have never played a noon game at home.

I didn't know that, and I used to live out there. I remember in 2000 they were playing their games (late) at Huskie stadium. I used to drive by Holmgren's house on Mercer Island with Packer flags on my car every time the Seahawks lost/Packers won.

denverYooper
01-16-2015, 10:47 AM
This is the kind of game where McCarthy will look to be aggressive with his game management. Unless the Packers go up early and stay there, I think something unusual will happen and it'll be based on a decision by McCarthy.

Like BB calling Edelman's pass last week... Of course that could go badly, but let's not think about that.

vince
01-16-2015, 10:48 AM
It's a noon game out West and a 2p game LFT (Lambeau Field Time). That's an hour earlier than they usually start. Maybe that could have an impact but I don't see it. If it were a 10a game in Seattle (noon LFT) that could be different...

QBME
01-16-2015, 11:01 AM
It's a noon game out West and a 2p game LFT (Lambeau Field Time). That's an hour earlier than they usually start. Maybe that could have an impact but I don't see it. If it were a 10a game in Seattle (noon LFT) that could be different...

I'm hoping some of 'em oversleep, and miss the first quarter.

Bossman641
01-16-2015, 11:05 AM

It absolutely blows my mind the level of disrespect the Packers are getting. Scrolling through ESPN's picks, only 2/30 picked the Packers to win. You'd think we are the Bucs or something. There's no doubt Seattle is very good; but, other than the Sanchize-led Eagles, they haven't played a good offense in about 3 months.

Week 6-Dallas 5th in PPG
7-@STL 21
8-@CAR 19
9-OAK 31
10-NYG 13
11-@KC 16
12-ARZ 24
13-@SF 25
14-@PHI 3
15-SF 25
16-@ARZ 24
17-STL 21
DIV-CAR 19

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-16-2015, 11:30 AM
I know in the vast scheme of things, the number of folks picking one team over another don't mean shit, but I would much rather be an overwhelming underdog than an overwhelming favorite. Especially for this game where both teams are good.

I should mosey over to the seahawk forums and see if I can get any cross country bets, walleye, venison or wild rice for maybe some salmon??

RashanGary
01-16-2015, 11:31 AM
We are going to break their hearts and wreck their dreams. They are going to be shocked and fucking awed by the completeness of this Packer team.

I feel it, honestly, we've got this game!!!!!!!

mraynrand
01-16-2015, 12:40 PM
It absolutely blows my mind the level of disrespect the Packers are getting. Scrolling through ESPN's picks, only 2/30 picked the Packers to win. You'd think we are the Bucs or something. There's no doubt Seattle is very good; but, other than the Sanchize-led Eagles, they haven't played a good offense in about 3 months.

I don't think people care about that. Shutting down Philly was enough. Plus the memories of Seattle obliterating Denver are still fresh, and so are the memories of week one. Until the king is overthrown, he's still the king.

Tony Oday
01-16-2015, 12:41 PM
The Packers haven't proven they can beat anyone that actually matters. I love the Pack but we don't have the bullets in the gun to take down the Hawks. I think we hang in for the 1st quarter but then the Hawks pull away as Jones gets trucked by Lynch and he goes for 6,

mraynrand
01-16-2015, 12:47 PM
The Packers haven't proven they can beat anyone that actually matters.

If only Seattle matters, I agree.

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-16-2015, 12:53 PM
What a setup for an epic win by the packers sunday, almost 50% of the rats are picking seattle. I don't like all the rats (with vaginas) jumping ship, but it will help make another legendary chapter in Packer history.

We are gonna win dammit.

mraynrand
01-16-2015, 01:00 PM
What a setup for an epic win by the packers sunday, almost 50% of the rats are picking seattle. I don't like all the rats (with vaginas) jumping ship, but it will help make another legendary chapter in Packer history.

We are gonna win dammit.

where are 007, Zig, easy cheesy, mazzin etc.? You'd think they'd drop in just to see what's happening during NFCC week.

denverYooper
01-16-2015, 02:21 PM
If only Seattle matters, I agree.

They're the only one that matters this week.

denverYooper
01-16-2015, 02:34 PM
The Packers haven't proven they can beat anyone that actually matters. I love the Pack but we don't have the bullets in the gun to take down the Hawks. I think we hang in for the 1st quarter but then the Hawks pull away as Jones gets trucked by Lynch and he goes for 6,

First, the Packers had to prove themselves by beating the Eagles. They destroyed them.

Then, the Packers had to prove themselves by beating a Patriots team that many had as the best in the league. They won that game and never trailed from start to finish.

Then the Packers had to prove themselves against a physical Lions team that beat them up earlier in the year, with the Conference title on the line. They won that game even though Rodgers went out for 8 minutes and played hurt.

Then the Packers had to prove themselves against the sexy upset pick Cowboys with their big, bad OL and 3 MVP candidates behind that line. They won that game with a hobbled quarterback.

The Packers were 3-1 against teams that played in the divisional and 1-1 against teams that are playing this weekend. Unfortunately the 1 is the team that they play next.

This is another test, the toughest yet, but this Packers team has hit a lot of checkmarks they haven't been able to hit over the last few years. I think that we're going to see a team that puts up one hell of a fight on both sides of the ball and might just be able to pull the upset. It's just something the greats have to do sometimes. I'm not saying they're among the greats but they've got a great shot, starting this weekend.

Tony Oday
01-16-2015, 02:43 PM
Lost to the pathetic Bills who played two high safety all day and exposed this offense. Got crushed by the Sea chickens in their house, got embarrassed against the Saints and didn't beat a decent team on the road all season. It's all over except for the body bags.

SkinBasket
01-16-2015, 02:45 PM
where are 007, Zig, easy cheesy, mazzin etc.? You'd think they'd drop in just to see what's happening during NFCC week.

If she followed Bretsky's sex advice, she's probably got too many kids to go on the internet anymore. Or she's dead. Either way.

th87
01-16-2015, 02:47 PM
THEY'RE NOT A MACHINE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFYjOZu3nG8

Joemailman
01-16-2015, 03:03 PM
Lost to the pathetic Bills who played two high safety all day and exposed this offense. Got crushed by the Sea chickens in their house, got embarrassed against the Saints and didn't beat a decent team on the road all season. It's Iverson except for the body bags.

Lost to the Bills because Jordy dropped a sure TD pass, and because Rodgers didn't see Jordy on another play running wide open on a broken coverage. An anomaly.

Lost to the Seahawks at a time when the Packers just weren't very good. They were lucky to avoid an 0-3 start. The current Packers don't resemble the team that played in Seattle.

The loss to the Saints was the last game before making the switch with Matthews which transformed the defense. The Packer team that matters is 8-1 with a blowout win over the Eagles and wins over the Patriots, Lions and Cowboys. That's pretty good.

denverYooper
01-16-2015, 03:06 PM
Tony's gone all Randy Quaid in Major League on us.

Pugger
01-16-2015, 03:09 PM

Its crazy. So many of the 'experts' think because Rodgers has a sore calf we somehow have morphed into the Jacksonville Jaguars or Oakland Raiders. :roll:

Fosco33
01-16-2015, 03:21 PM
First, the Packers had to prove themselves by beating the Eagles. They destroyed them.

Then, the Packers had to prove themselves by beating a Patriots team that many had as the best in the league. They won that game and never trailed from start to finish.

Then the Packers had to prove themselves against a physical Lions team that beat them up earlier in the year, with the Conference title on the line. They won that game even though Rodgers went out for 8 minutes and played hurt.

Then the Packers had to prove themselves against the sexy upset pick Cowboys with their big, bad OL and 3 MVP candidates behind that line. They won that game with a hobbled quarterback.

The Packers were 3-1 against teams that played in the divisional and 1-1 against teams that are playing this weekend. Unfortunately the 1 is the team that they play next.

This is another test, the toughest yet, but this Packers team has hit a lot of checkmarks they haven't been able to hit over the last few years. I think that we're going to see a team that puts up one hell of a fight on both sides of the ball and might just be able to pull the upset. It's just something the greats have to do sometimes. I'm not saying they're among the greats but they've got a great shot, starting this weekend.

Good post. Except - all those were at Lambeau... Change the venue and have a 100% ARod and I'd say we'd win. Flip it - we still have a shot (as any team does any week). But it'll be the biggest test Pack has had in years.

Hoping for a good, clean and fun to watch game.

ThunderDan
01-16-2015, 03:24 PM
Lost to the pathetic Bills who played two high safety all day and exposed this offense. Got crushed by the Sea chickens in their house, got embarrassed against the Saints and didn't beat a decent team on the road all season. It's all over except for the body bags.

Who did Seattle beat?

They lost to the pathetic Rams, they lost to the Cowgirls at home, they lost to the Chargers and Chiefs

Where is Seattle's signature win? They beat the Broncos by 6 and beat the Eagles by 10.

Their best win of the year is against GB in the first week.

They just went through a bunch of teams playing with a 2nd or 2rd string QB and SF who imploded at the end of the year.

denverYooper
01-16-2015, 03:33 PM
Good post. Except - all those were at Lambeau... Change the venue and have a 100% ARod and I'd say we'd win. Flip it - we still have a shot (as any team does any week). But it'll be the biggest test Pack has had in years.

Hoping for a good, clean and fun to watch game.

You got me on the common factor on that list. Repped.

Still, they've won a lot of games against quality opponents. They haven't been able to pull off that kind of record against quality teams in a while, even at home.

This is one more test. Can they do it on the road?

George Cumby
01-16-2015, 03:58 PM
They've got confidence and the twelfth man and Russell Wilson and a stout D.

Gonna break their fans little chartreuse hearts when they lose.

mraynrand
01-16-2015, 05:01 PM
Its crazy. So many of the 'experts' think because Rodgers has a sore calf we somehow have morphed into the Jacksonville Jaguars or Oakland Raiders. :roll:

Oakland gave 'em a scare. I think it was a one TD game into the 4th quarter....

pbmax
01-16-2015, 07:55 PM
If she followed Bretsky's sex advice, she's probably got too many kids to go on the internet anymore. Or she's dead. Either way.

Doesn't Bretsky's advice on sex for women mostly involve more sex with women?

pbmax
01-16-2015, 07:57 PM
Datone Jones. Only Packer to get his mitts on Colin Kaepernick when he left the pocket in a hurry. If Seattle pulls Marshawn on passing downs for Turbin, Jones will get in (might also get in to for injured Boyd) and he is long and fast enough to help Peppers chase him down when Matthews flushes him.

smuggler
01-16-2015, 10:36 PM

There was an NFL Network panel of three and they gave GB the following odds to win on Sunday: 25%, 20%, and finally 10%

That's franky not true.

That would be 2014 Seattle : 2014 Green Bay :: 2014 Tampa Bay : 2014 Green Bay

which does not make any sense. I could see 25%, maybe, because Rodgers is hurt, but usually 35-40%

wist43
01-16-2015, 11:18 PM

I agree... just hoping it's still a game at halftime, and we don't get too embarrassed.

I'll argue we always have a punchers chance with Rodgers, but we need a shit-ton of luck and breaks to beat the Seahawks. They are just a vastly superior team.

smuggler
01-17-2015, 05:12 AM
The Bills defensive line has Mario Williams, Marcell Dareus, and Kyle Williams. The Seahawks don't have any tackles as good as either Kyle Williams or (especially) Dareus, and don't have any linemen to the level of Mario or Dareus in general.

Joemailman
01-17-2015, 07:44 AM
Forecast for 50 degrees, light rain 15 mph winds at game time tomorrow.

Carolina_Packer
01-17-2015, 08:31 AM

Football weather, for sure!

Pugger
01-17-2015, 09:13 AM
Who did Seattle beat?

They lost to the pathetic Rams, they lost to the Cowgirls at home, they lost to the Chargers and Chiefs

Where is Seattle's signature win? They beat the Broncos by 6 and beat the Eagles by 10.

Their best win of the year is against GB in the first week.

They just went through a bunch of teams playing with a 2nd or 2rd string QB and SF who imploded at the end of the year.

Yes, folks talk about our loss to Buffalo, NO and Detroit but nary a word about who Seattle was beating up on at the end of the season or who they lost too.

Pugger
01-17-2015, 09:15 AM

I doubt 50° will cause Lacy's asthma to act up on him on Sunday so this is a good thing.

woodbuck27
01-17-2015, 09:30 AM
The Green Bay Packer Defense:

The Green Bay chance to win will be determined by the quality of the Packer 'D' tomorrow.

It's essential that we see that defense reduce Seattle's ground game.

The defense must defend against Russell Wilson running wide of the LOS and gouging for 15-20 yards or more gains.

The Packer defense must work their butts off and get Marshawn 'Heavy Load' Lynch on the ground pronto. Looking at him run isn't a good strategy. It often takes more than one defender to bring his ass to the turf.

The secondary cannot play off the Seattle WR's. Forget what you see on paper. The Seattle WR's can get it done.

Seattle TE Luke Willson is 'a gifted athlete' and has to be accounted for or count on a TD from this guy.

The Green Bay Packers Offense:

We need to see something special in the Packers ST's ; or improved punting and kick returning.

MM must not ask Mason Crosby to try 50+ yard FG's. We need to see MM go for it on 4th and short in the Seattle Red Zone.

We need to see Randall Cobb set up more than a few times in the Packer backfield.

We need to see Aaron Rodgers extend drives with a run and short passing game. Keep the Seattle defense on the field and pressured.

GO PACKERS !

Tony Oday
01-17-2015, 10:24 AM
I agree... just hoping it's still a game at halftime, and we don't get too embarrassed.

I'll argue we always have a punchers chance with Rodgers, but we need a shit-ton of luck and breaks to beat the Seahawks. They are just a vastly superior team.

Lol you know we don't have a chance if Wist says we do!

Maxie the Taxi
01-17-2015, 11:37 AM
I'm thinking we ought to shitcan the no huddle offense in Seattle if, after the first series or so, the crowd noise makes communication time-consuming and difficult.

Huddle up. Everyone is on the same page and our TOP goes up. If it were only me, I'd start the game huddling up and move on to the no huddle after the crowd settles down...after our first few TD's. :lol:

RashanGary
01-17-2015, 11:39 AM
The Green Bay Packer Defense:

The Green Bay chance to win will be determined by the quality of the Packer 'D' tomorrow.

It's essential that we see that defense reduce Seattle's ground game.

The defense must defend against Russell Wilson running wide of the LOS and gouging for 15-20 yards or more gains.

The Packer defense must work their butts off and get Marshawn 'Heavy Load' Lynch on the ground pronto. Looking at him run isn't a good strategy. It often takes more than one defender to bring his ass to the turf.

The secondary cannot play off the Seattle WR's. Forget what you see on paper. The Seattle WR's can get it done.

Seattle TE Luke Willson is 'a gifted athlete' and has to be accounted for or count on a TD from this guy.

The Green Bay Packers Offense:

We need to see something special in the Packers ST's ; or improved punting and kick returning.

MM must not ask Mason Crosby to try 50+ yard FG's. We need to see MM go for it on 4th and short in the Seattle Red Zone.

We need to see Randall Cobb set up more than a few times in the Packer backfield.

We need to see Aaron Rodgers extend drives with a run and short passing game. Keep the Seattle defense on the field and pressured.

GO PACKERS !

Nice. This would work

woodbuck27
01-17-2015, 07:42 PM
I'm thinking we ought to shitcan the no huddle offense in Seattle if, after the first series or so, the crowd noise makes communication time-consuming and difficult.

Huddle up. Everyone is on the same page and our TOP goes up. If it were only me, I'd start the game huddling up and move on to the no huddle after the crowd settles down...after our first few TD's. :lol:

I agree this is a good strategy and especially if we get an early jump.

I expect the Packers to score very early in tomorrows game.

vince
01-17-2015, 07:51 PM
My bullshit speculation of course but that could possibly explain why he strongly prefers playing the right sideline. When you watch him press its a one-handed technique during his drop. Using his right hand to extend he's already turned in case he needs inside technique up the sideline.
http://www.pictureshack.us/images/19603_ShermanISOSlow.gif
If he pulls this shit, Adams should beat him like a drum inside. Weak one-handed press then turn your head around and run like hell? How does he get away with that? That technique should be attacked inside and quick. Even a slant and go when he's turning himself in circles. Just don't run right into where he's going when he gets turned around...

woodbuck27
01-17-2015, 07:57 PM
If he pulls this shit, Adams should beat him like a drum inside. Weak one-handed press then turn your head around and run like hell? How does he get away with that? That technique should be attacked inside and quick. Even a slant and go when he's turning himself in circles. Just don't run right into where he's going when he gets turned around...

It's a defensive PI and Aaron Rodgers gets a free shot.

Burn him big time.

wist43
01-17-2015, 07:58 PM

I wouldn't run any no huddle... let them substitute - you know who is going to be on the field against your personnel. If Stubby and staff did their jobs during the week of preparation, then we should be able to handle the subpackages - I think it is more important to have our own shit together, than to try and "trip them up" on personnel or gimmickry.

They're well coached, and aren't going to be thrown off by no-huddle, and given that the crowd noise is idiotic there, no-huddle would probably cause us more harm than good.

pbmax
01-17-2015, 08:13 PM
No huddle will have its place. Holmgren mentioned wrong footing them by their sub package; passing on first down versus base, running on second down versus pass rush, etc.

If Rodgers gets one of those sub packages caught facing a Packer sub package that has leverage over it, they should ride it down the field. Especially in the second half.

pbmax
01-17-2015, 08:14 PM
I have come to the conclusion that the one handed punch and retreat is Sherman's Cover 3 bail technique.

vince
01-17-2015, 08:25 PM
I have come to the conclusion that the one handed punch and retreat is Sherman's Cover 3 bail technique.
Makes sense but I can't see how he can defend a slant with that technique.

woodbuck27
01-17-2015, 08:37 PM
Extra Motivation:

http://news.yahoo.com/sitting-clay-matthews-pete-carroll-error-232847718--spt.html

Sitting Clay Matthews was a Pete Carroll error

Associated Press

By BARRY WILNER ... 3 hours ago

pbmax
01-17-2015, 08:40 PM
Makes sense but I can't see how he can defend a slant with that technique.

They play zone under it, so the OLB is fanning back to cover the slant and hook zone. They like the idea of you firing passes into the interior of their defense.

Somewhere I linked to Matt Bowen's Championship Games preview on Bleacher Report. He talks about this in there.

wist43
01-17-2015, 08:49 PM
No huddle will have its place. Holmgren mentioned wrong footing them by their sub package; passing on first down versus base, running on second down versus pass rush, etc.

If Rodgers gets one of those sub packages caught facing a Packer sub package that has leverage over it, they should ride it down the field. Especially in the second half.

I'm all for "wrong footing" them - you don't need to go no huddle to do that... all no huddle will do is get us out of sync with all of the crowd noise, and arythmic style that is imposed by their stout defense.

The no huddle isn't going to fluster them - I'd much rather make sure we have all our ducks in a row on every snap. Minimize the 5 and 7 step drops, don't put all the pressure on our below average Tackles, and dink and dunk them to death. A holding call or sack?? that is the end of that possession.

Normally I hate getting to 3rd down... I'm not a big fan of playing to get to 3rd and 3, I usually prefer to take shots at 1st downs on every 2nd down - but in this game I won't mind getting into 3rd and 5 or less. I think we can complete short passes against them, we just won't get any RAC. If we're at 3rd and 4, we should be able to dink it for 5 yds, and get down, move the chains.

I'd feel a lot better about our chances if we had a TE that could threaten the seam, and drag the underneath LB with him and threaten the Safety - but we don't have that anymore.

vince
01-17-2015, 09:08 PM
They play zone under it, so the OLB is fanning back to cover the slant and hook zone. They like the idea of you firing passes into the interior of their defense.

Somewhere I linked to Matt Bowen's Championship Games preview on Bleacher Report. He talks about this in there.
I'll try to find Bowen's article. Sure there's under coverage, and Bowen is as good as the come when it comes to showcasing coverages but I can't see a linebacker - no matter how quick - or even a safety up - effectively defending a quick slant wide.

vince
01-17-2015, 09:24 PM
This the article PB?
Good read on Cover 3 principles and how Seattle uses it. (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2047445-nfl-101-introducing-the-basics-of-cover-3)

If there's a slot receiver to Sherman's wide side, MAYBE the defender over him can fly off the slot and cover the slant but even that's a stretch because you can either isolate the wideout or the slot receiver can likely engage that defender and hinder his coverage outside. If he does bail to cover the slant, that leaves a nice seam for the slot receiver straight down the hashes.

It perhaps comes down to what others have also said. A quick passing attack with Rodgers in the gun may have some potential against Seattle's relatively vanilla but very effective defense. That could help offset Rodgers' relative immobility as well.

Pugger
01-17-2015, 11:14 PM
I'm all for "wrong footing" them - you don't need to go no huddle to do that... all no huddle will do is get us out of sync with all of the crowd noise, and arythmic style that is imposed by their stout defense.

The no huddle isn't going to fluster them - I'd much rather make sure we have all our ducks in a row on every snap. Minimize the 5 and 7 step drops, don't put all the pressure on our below average Tackles, and dink and dunk them to death. A holding call or sack?? that is the end of that possession.

Normally I hate getting to 3rd down... I'm not a big fan of playing to get to 3rd and 3, I usually prefer to take shots at 1st downs on every 2nd down - but in this game I won't mind getting into 3rd and 5 or less. I think we can complete short passes against them, we just won't get any RAC. If we're at 3rd and 4, we should be able to dink it for 5 yds, and get down, move the chains.

I'd feel a lot better about our chances if we had a TE that could threaten the seam, and drag the underneath LB with him and threaten the Safety - but we don't have that anymore.

I don't consider Bulaga a "below average" O tackle.

wist43
01-17-2015, 11:30 PM
I don't consider Bulaga a "below average" O tackle.

Average then... certainly don't consider him to be a top-flight RT.

The Seahawks can flat out bring the pass rush... every drive we have either a sack or a holding penalty will likely spell the end of that drive - therefore I think it critical to gameplan for a possession type of game. I would pass on 1st down a lot - and if that were unsuccessful, I'd look for another short dump off in the short zones to get it to 3rd and 5 or less.

Perhaps we can run against their subpackages a bit... but I wouldn't be doing that much on 2nd down. If we pass on first down and go incomplete, then run it into the line for NG on 2nd down - that likely spells the end of that drive, same as if we'd had a sack or holding penalty.

MM needs to have a conservative gameplan IMO, but that is not in his nature - disaster would be a 7 step drop, sack, fumble, and a very short field for the Seahawks at any point in the game.

We'll see.

smuggler
01-17-2015, 11:31 PM
Agreed. Bulaga, when he's actually healthy, is not perfect, but is easily better than 16 starting RTs in the league, including the guy starting for the Seachickens.

If Seattle has some kind of advantage because we're playing Bulaga, we should have a huge advantage on them for playing their guy.

pbmax
01-17-2015, 11:53 PM
This the article PB?
Good read on Cover 3 principles and how Seattle uses it. (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2047445-nfl-101-introducing-the-basics-of-cover-3)

If there's a slot receiver to Sherman's wide side, MAYBE the defender over him can fly off the slot and cover the slant but even that's a stretch because you can either isolate the wideout or the slot receiver can likely engage that defender and hinder his coverage outside. If he does bail to cover the slant, that leaves a nice seam for the slot receiver straight down the hashes.

It perhaps comes down to what others have also said. A quick passing attack with Rodgers in the gun may have some potential against Seattle's relatively vanilla but very effective defense. That could help offset Rodgers' relative immobility as well.

Nope, this one, though the topics are similar: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2330139-matt-bowens-nfl-conference-championships-film-study

Here is the relevant picture:

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/001/918/757/d0d0e9b1f4d62e54a3936a10486f3965_original.jpg?1421 275855

My bad. The slant would be defended by either the up safety or the nickel back in that D, not an ILB.

wist43
01-18-2015, 12:46 AM
Nope, this one, though the topics are similar: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2330139-matt-bowens-nfl-conference-championships-film-study

Here is the relevant picture:

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/001/918/757/d0d0e9b1f4d62e54a3936a10486f3965_original.jpg?1421 275855

My bad. The slant would be defended by either the up safety or the nickel back in that D, not an ILB.

Notice all 4 of those defenders in the underneath zone are all within 5 yds of the LOS. It looks like Newton is going to go to the man in flat, which would be the read there, but with everyone facing the play, and within easy closing distance, given the time the ball takes to be delivered, and the back get his vision squared around and begin getting upfield, those underneath guys will have closed on him very quickly.

I think what you have to do against that look is occupy one side with 3 receivers, send 1 deep, and one on a post or skinny post, then drag that back or TE behind that action to the outside. Anything inside, or short will be eaten alive if you don't find a way to occupy or misdirect those underneath zone defenders.

vince
01-18-2015, 02:52 AM
Love Bowen's work but his omission of how a quick slant is covered in that defense interesting...

I don't think either of the slot defenders can get there in time if the receiver gets off the line OK, unless he guesses right and bails on the slot receiver right away. That then would leave Cobb or RichRod open on a quick route up the seam before he gets to the deep safety.

if Sherman uses that weak one-handed press and turn outside and run technique to cover his deep third against a fly/fade while the wideout goes inside on a quick slant, with Rodgers quick release and no step drop from the gun, the ball's long gone by the time that shot above is even taken. The receiver could have the ball to him and be out of the Curl-Flat Drop area before the box safety/nickel-back can get there, particularly if he has to deal with a slot receiver off the snap.

I hope we see it because I'd love nothing more than to see Davante Adams school Sherman at the line. Jordy too but I think Jordy would get more attention and Adams has the ability to beat press coverage and run quick routes. Jordy's more of a loper while Adams has better change of direction. But he does need to snatch it in with strong hands unlike Tampa I believe it was at the goal line. Then get his head on a swivel because someone will be flying that way, either from the inside slot area or deep middle.

vince
01-18-2015, 03:03 AM
I think what you have to do against that look is occupy one side with 3 receivers, send 1 deep, and one on a post or skinny post, then drag that back or TE behind that action to the outside. Anything inside, or short will be eaten alive if you don't find a way to occupy or misdirect those underneath zone defenders.
1 deep would be covered by the deep third corner, the post route runs right into the deep middle defender (unless he can somehow be looked off or is cheating to the top-side which would seem unlikely with your flood concept), and the back/TE going outside underneath runs right into the slot defender no?

vince
01-18-2015, 03:17 AM
Average then... certainly don't consider him to be a top-flight RT.

The Seahawks can flat out bring the pass rush... every drive we have either a sack or a holding penalty will likely spell the end of that drive - therefore I think it critical to gameplan for a possession type of game. I would pass on 1st down a lot - and if that were unsuccessful, I'd look for another short dump off in the short zones to get it to 3rd and 5 or less.

Perhaps we can run against their subpackages a bit... but I wouldn't be doing that much on 2nd down. If we pass on first down and go incomplete, then run it into the line for NG on 2nd down - that likely spells the end of that drive, same as if we'd had a sack or holding penalty.

MM needs to have a conservative gameplan IMO, but that is not in his nature - disaster would be a 7 step drop, sack, fumble, and a very short field for the Seahawks at any point in the game.

We'll see.
Bulaga was the second highest ranked RT in the league this year by PFF, who scores every play by every player in every game. Discount that all you want but he still doesn't drop to average.

Avril had 5 sacks and Bennett 7 - not stellar but they can get pressure. With Rodgers' limited mobility, he oughta be getting the ball out as quick as he needs to because he knows he doesn't want to be holding it and running.

It'll be real interesting to see if the Packers can keep Rodgers clean in the pocket. If they can't at least be soemwhat effective you can stick a fork in their chances I'd say.

wist43
01-18-2015, 07:48 AM
1 deep would be covered by the deep third corner, the post route runs right into the deep middle defender (unless he can somehow be looked off or is cheating to the top-side which would seem unlikely with your flood concept), and the back/TE going outside underneath runs right into the slot defender no?

In that look, the corners are turning and running with the outside receivers - so they are out of the play.

The defenders you're trying to influence are the outer most defenders in that underneath zone - whether it be a LB or Chancellor.

If you run 3 receivers on those patterns against that look, the QB will have his choice between the receiver that runs the skinny post - who can sit down if that is the read, or the receiver that is outside and underneath. That puts a lot of pressure on that defender to make a decision - one of the 2 receivers would be open for about a 10 yd gain.

You'd probably need a 5 step drop for that to develop, but they are only rushing 4, so as long as protection held up, that route combination against that defense should give you a decent gain. Hit that a couple of times and they'd adjust, and you'd have to adjust from there... the chess match.

wist43
01-18-2015, 08:14 AM

Looking at what the Panthers are doing there a little more... the way to look at the still pic would be - instead of running that slot receiver on the crossing pattern, run him at and behind that outer defender who is responsible for the flat. If he doesn't go with the slot receiver, the slot receiver should get the ball, if he does either go with or drift back with the slot receiver, the underneath guy would be the read.

You could even bunch 2 receivers out wide to force the defense to shift... was reading an article last week that talked about bunching receivers against the Seahawks - I think that is something that should be in the gameplan. Force those underneath zone defenders to commit.

I would probably run that route combination with a RB or TE offset, and run him right into the route instead of having him be a safety valve flaring out of the backfield. As it is in that still, that RB is going to receive the ball from Newton, and the defenders will have plenty of time to close on him. That play likely resulted in a very short, or no gain.

Fosco33
01-18-2015, 08:17 AM
Weather may be a perceived factor today - but like Arod's ankle - a change in gameplan to use Lacy and attack their DL, short throws, Cobb out of backfield, etc may actually help the Pack. Win ToP and likelihood of a W is much higher.

Strong, gusty winds and light rain...

vince
01-18-2015, 08:17 AM
OK I'm with you on the post/skinny post sitting down or the throw being made in the seam under the middle safety not over the top. I was thinking you meant a deep middle route with the post. Definitely need space between the fly and medium post/skinny/dig. That would work too.

With the speed and tackling ability of Seattle it's hard to see Lacy having a big day with screens or dump offs. Maybe a little rain with slow the field down.

All I know is - IT'S GAMEDAY - NFC CHAMPIONSHIP STYLE!

denverYooper
01-18-2015, 08:26 AM
OK I'm with you on the post/skinny post sitting down or the throw being made in the seam under the middle safety not over the top. I was thinking you meant a deep middle route with the post. Definitely need space between the fly and medium post/skinny/dig. That would work too.

With the speed and tackling ability of Seattle it's hard to see Lacy having a big day with screens or dump offs. Maybe a little rain with slow the field down.

All I know is - IT'S GAMEDAY - NFC CHAMPIONSHIP STYLE!

Wind is going to affect Seattle's passing game more than Green Bay's. Wilson tends to throw with more arc than Rodgers.

vince
01-18-2015, 08:34 AM
Here's what I'm talking about on Sherman and the slants.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000459879/article/richard-sherman-unhappy-with-rodgers-avoiding-him

First play Sherman's on the short side of the field. Jordy beat Sherman like a red-headed step-child while Sherman turned himself in circles. But the slot is tight and the safety/nickel on that side has the slant covered because there's just not enough space on the short side with the safety/nickel up.

The next play Sherman's on the wide side with a wider slot to occupy the safety/nickel. Boykin didn't work Sherman at the line but the slant woulda been wide open there had he done so.

The safety ran with Cobb that time in what looked like straight 1-high man coverage but if you can beat Sherman inside (I think you can because he protects against his lack of speed by bailing out a bit) it presents a two-on-one matchup if they're in their Cover-3 zone with the safety/nickel and I think Rodgers could abuse that situation standing from the gun with a quick read and throw to the slant or the slot up the seam to eat up some yards. If they're in man then Adams/Nelson can hit the slant while the slot runs the safety off.

Cmon baby get it done Davante!

pbmax
01-18-2015, 09:05 AM
Davante likes the slant more than Jordy, you might have something there.

Off the top of my head, you would want something with multiple levels on one side of the field and something backside. You send one WR on a go to occupy the CB and deep Safety. Then someone else runs an out underneath that and then two players run shallower routes, one to each side.

Or you run two deep but no both Go routes if you have time in the pocket. You run Go on the right and a Post on the left and make the safety choose. Someone is single covered and the LBs are in short zones.

One thing I wish they did with GIFs and snapshots of the All-22 is give down and distance.

vince
01-18-2015, 09:19 AM
Davante likes the slant more than Jordy, you might have something there.

Off the top of my head, you would want something with multiple levels on one side of the field and something backside. You send one WR on a go to occupy the CB and deep Safety. Then someone else runs an out underneath that and then two players run shallower routes, one to each side.

Or you run two deep but no both Go routes if you have time in the pocket. You run Go on the right and a Post on the left and make the safety choose. Someone is single covered and the LBs are in short zones.

One thing I wish they did with GIFs and snapshots of the All-22 is give down and distance.
Yeah if Rodgers gets time look out baby. Man I'm getting too jacked up too early! Cup o' Joe and the morning paper is in order.
http://rlv.zcache.co.uk/mugs-r7bbfd3a5b7f74d7eb22d000b017967bd_x7jgr_8byvr_152. png?t_posterimage_iid=cc51c714-1d31-4715-b121-681435d03608&bg=0xE6E7E2

wist43
01-18-2015, 11:16 AM
You can't run the slant against that 4 across zone... you can run it against their base - maybe on first down. Establishing the run would go a long way toward setting up the slant, but MM has to go about the right way.

If MM comes out and simply tries to run it on 1st down to establish the run; and secondarily, predictably runs on 2nd down after a 1st down incompletion - then I think that plays right into Seattles hands, and it will be long and frustrating day for the offense, and will substantially reduce our chances of winning the game.

woodbuck27
01-18-2015, 11:28 AM
You can't run the slant against that 4 across zone... you can run it against their base - maybe on first down. Establishing the run would go a long way toward setting up the slant, but MM has to go about the right way.

If MM comes out and simply tries to run it on 1st down to establish the run; and secondarily, predictably runs on 2nd down after a 1st down incompletion - then I think that plays right into Seattles hands, and it will be long and frustrating day for the offense, and will substantially reduce our chances of winning the game.

Aaron Rodgers has to pass a lot and pass short. Tighten the screws on the Seattle 'D' before anything long.

Remember the Jordy Nelson TD vs the Pats? Will MM call that one today?

Jordy Nelson ran straight downfield (along the hash marks as I recall it) and froze the DB. Aaron Rodgers hit him and he slanted left to the end of the goal line. That was my favourite Packer TD on this season.

Willard
01-18-2015, 11:34 AM
Packers win if Cobb has as many TD throws (1) as Wilson. We will see it someday. Why not today?

mraynrand
01-18-2015, 11:38 AM
You can't run the slant against that 4 across zone....

of course you can - but you have to drag the coverage away with your other receivers. And watch out for cheating.