PDA

View Full Version : GB DAL officiating

SkinBasket
01-12-2015, 06:44 AM
In my opinion that officiating was the worst we've seen all season, even worse than the Buffalo game. Outside of the catch call, there was Lang's dastardly "late hit" which Fox refused to play back with audio for the whistle, Tamonia's phantom PI which Troy agreed with due to the "appearance of the hook," the extra yard and a half they gave Whitten - which was a problem all game long on both sides, I think 10% of the total yardage in this game was due to the official's optimistic spotting, and rampant holding on both lines that went uncalled. I almost forgot Dallas's all-pro RG, who started to play about a second early on their first possession without a call.

Of course, all of this happened after Buck noted that, "This is not an all-star crew; it’s a mixed crew."

So the NFL rips the officiating crews apart, sends what they think are the best ones to one game, and what do we get? I think that question was answered pretty well. Whatever shit-for-brains came up with this idea should probably be shot, like they do in China. I honestly started having the same feelings I did after the blown SEA game - that feeling you're wasting your time watching a rigged boxing match (which, yes I know, are all of them), where the actors don't sell it well enough to create the illusion worthy of my suspension of disbelief.

pbmax
01-12-2015, 08:51 AM
I think the NFL has a real problem on its hands with the after the whistle stuff. Players have always been coached to play through the whistle, but it happens all the time now. Most of it isn't dirty (unless you are a Lion), but ball carriers and tacklers trying to out a stamp on a play or get another yard.

Even if Lang's hit was well after the whistle (and that was my reaction), there were also 3 Cowboys still trying to tackle the Packer after that whistle, indeed, after Lang's hit.

When did the whistle stop being the signal for the end of the play?

Cheesehead Craig
01-12-2015, 08:53 AM
I think the NFL has a real problem on its hands with the after the whistle stuff. Players have always been coached to play through the whistle, but it happens all the time now.

Even if Lang's hit was well after the whistle (and that was my reaction), there were also 3 Cowboys still trying to tackle the Packer after that whistle, indeed, after Lang's hit.

When did the whistle stop being the signal for the end of the play?

Truth. Maybe it will be amongst the infamous "points of emphasis" next season.

Patler
01-12-2015, 09:04 AM

Not just trying to tackle Adams, they actually threw him to the ground at about the 15 yard line, after Lang's hit. If Lang's hit was late, the "tackle" was even later.

SkinBasket
01-12-2015, 09:33 AM
Is being on the field sans helmet not a rule anymore, or is Dez just exempt?

mraynrand
01-12-2015, 09:38 AM
Not just trying to tackle Adams, they actually threw him to the ground at about the 15 yard line, after Lang's hit. If Lang's hit was late, the "tackle" was even later.

Oh yes, throw him to the floor please.

http://static.flickr.com/79/270790603_047d35ff0e_o.jpg

Pugger
01-12-2015, 09:41 AM

I still can't believe Lang was the only guilty party in that scrum.

Pugger
01-12-2015, 09:43 AM
Is being on the field sans helmet not a rule anymore, or is Dez just exempt?

It might not be a rule any more. Cobb took his helmet off after his amazing catch after the tipped ball and wasn't penalized for that.

pbmax
01-12-2015, 09:54 AM
I still can't believe Lang was the only guilty party in that scrum.

Rand is right about trying to avoid offsetting penalties, that was a point of emphasis this year or last. But in this case, if Patler's right about the sound of the whistle, the only infraction shouldn't have been an infraction.

ThunderDan
01-12-2015, 09:59 AM
It might not be a rule any more. Cobb took his helmet off after his amazing catch after the tipped ball and wasn't penalized for that.

As long as you are part of the current play or the next play, you can have your helmet off as you come off of or go onto the field.

mraynrand
01-12-2015, 10:32 AM
Rand is right about trying to avoid offsetting penalties, that was a point of emphasis this year or last. But in this case, if Patler's right about the sound of the whistle, the only infraction shouldn't have been an infraction.

Lang was running into block as the whistle sounded. It was pretty bang bang. Nothing should have been called on Lang, reasonably, because he couldn't have been expected to pull up, except that with all that happened after they felt they had to call something. I'm guessing with the emphasis, coupled with the aggressiveness and follow through of Lang, that was enough for them, even if the separation between whistle and block was a tenth of a second. If Lang had pulled up on the block instead of leveling the guy, maybe no retaliation and he doesn't get penalized.

SkinBasket
01-12-2015, 11:08 AM
As long as you are part of the current play or the next play, you can have your helmet off as you come off of or go onto the field.

That guy's been coming and going a lot the last couple weeks.

ThunderDan
01-12-2015, 11:33 AM
That guy's been coming and going a lot the last couple weeks.

I agree, on the PI last week he was not going to be on the next play so he should have been flagged for 15 yards.

texaspackerbacker
01-12-2015, 11:43 AM
Agree about the Lang penalty - I was jumping up and down and ranting about no offsetting there. In general, though, I don't see a pattern of bias in NFL officiating - not like the NBA a few years ago for example. The bad calls generally even out and are not too egregious IMO. As for the biggest controversy - Dez's great almost catch, clearly the overturn was correct based on the rule. Maybe the rule needs to be changed, but that's for after the season.

The call nobody is mentioning which I'm damn glad they didn't review - and which the Cowboys would have a real case if they want something to complain about - was Cobb's catch on the sideline before the FG at the end of the first half. Yeah, he got both feet down in bounds, but I have great doubts that he had possession before that first foot went down.

pbmax
01-12-2015, 11:51 AM
whoops, wrong thread

mraynrand
01-12-2015, 11:55 AM
The call nobody is mentioning which I'm damn glad they didn't review - and which the Cowboys would have a real case if they want something to complain about - was Cobb's catch on the sideline before the FG at the end of the first half. Yeah, he got both feet down in bounds, but I have great doubts that he had possession before that first foot went down.

it was reviewed, just not by the ref on the field. Inside 2 minutes, the booth initiates a review, if warranted. They must have been OK with what they saw. I haven't seen a replay. Does it look good?

Cheesehead Craig
01-12-2015, 12:05 PM
Agree about the Lang penalty - I was jumping up and down and ranting about no offsetting there. In general, though, I don't see a pattern of bias in NFL officiating - not like the NBA a few years ago for example. The bad calls generally even out and are not too egregious IMO. As for the biggest controversy - Dez's great almost catch, clearly the overturn was correct based on the rule. Maybe the rule needs to be changed, but that's for after the season.

He caught it. Had possession the whole way. No bobble whatsoever. Caught it clean while the first foot was down.

SkinBasket
01-12-2015, 01:08 PM
In general, though, I don't see a pattern of bias in NFL officiating - not like the NBA a few years ago for example. The bad calls generally even out and are not too egregious IMO.

Not saying there was a bias. I'm saying we got the B squad of officials from several different crews and it showed with what looked like the most poorly officiated GB game of the season. That and reassembling officiating crews for the post season is a stupid fucking idea with predictable, and undesirable, results.

smuggler
01-12-2015, 01:23 PM
If I were the decision-maker on the Cobb catch at the end of the first half, I would have ruled it incomplete. They stuck with the ruling on the field.

MadScientist
01-12-2015, 01:35 PM
If I were the decision-maker on the Cobb catch at the end of the first half, I would have ruled it incomplete. They stuck with the ruling on the field.
That was the make-up call for the phantom PI on Williams.

LEWCWA
01-12-2015, 03:32 PM
The PI calls really got my goat----Don't the balls still have to be catchable to call PI. Neither pass was within 10 yards of the rec. was it?

HarveyWallbangers
01-12-2015, 05:24 PM

Why? I don't think there's any doubt it was a catch.

HarveyWallbangers
01-12-2015, 05:28 PM
The PI calls really got my goat----Don't the balls still have to be catchable to call PI. Neither pass was within 10 yards of the rec. was it?

The PI call on Tramon to give them the ball on the one was a bad call, but I didn't feel like the officiating was that bad as I was watching the game. There were a couple of questionable ones that went against us, but overall I've seen worse. I mostly had a problem with the ref that ruled the Bryant catch was good. I think he gave Witten a couple of spots that were ridicously generous, so I had doubts about whether the guy was being paid off.

pbmax
01-12-2015, 05:55 PM
The PI call on Tramon to give them the ball on the one was a bad call, but I didn't feel like the officiating was that bad as I was watching the game. There were a couple of questionable ones that went against us, but overall I've seen worse. I mostly had a problem with the ref that ruled the Bryant catch was good. I think he gave Witten a couple of spots that were ridicously generous, so I had doubts about whether the guy was being paid off.

Usually ref crews are amazingly accurate at spotting, whenever I question it, I am usually wrong. But those guys yesterday were terrible at spotting the ball.

Tyrion Lannister
01-12-2015, 07:04 PM
After Romo threw TD to the fullback, he was hit late and low by the Clayamker. No flag.

I don't see anyone complaining 'bout that.

Point of emphasis, crying about the zebras is for losers. Packers won the fucking game. :idea:

King Friday
01-12-2015, 07:19 PM

I agree...but Adams also continued to fight for yardage. If Adams had given up, and the Cowboys threw him to the ground, I would expect a flag. If Adams continues to fight, then you can't blame the Cowboys any more than you can blame Adams.

smuggler
01-12-2015, 07:29 PM
Why? I don't think there's any doubt it was a catch.

Point of the ball touches the ground on a scoop catch, it's always incomplete in my book. You want to avoid that? Make a hands catch.

pbmax
01-12-2015, 09:08 PM
After Romo threw TD to the fullback, he was hit late and low by the Clayamker. No flag.

I don't see anyone complaining 'bout that.

Point of emphasis, crying about the zebras is for losers. Packers won the fucking game. :idea:

Late yes. Above the knee though. Gene Steratore called almost nothing in the backfield in this game.

woodbuck27
01-12-2015, 09:26 PM
Looking in the rear view mirror and a flash back to Detroit @ Dallas and the pass interference call ... non-call :

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/10/bart-scott-suggests-there-was-something-on-the-line-in-dallas/

Bart Scott suggests there was “something on the line” in Dallas

Posted by Mike Florio on January 10, 2015, 12:10 PM EST

Comment woodbuck27:

More and more it looks to me like there's lots ... " stinking in the State of Denmark"."

SkinBasket
01-13-2015, 09:29 AM
Based on the game broadcast, Bryant landed (and failed to keep the ball from hitting the ground) with 4:36 to play in the fourth quarter. A full 30 seconds ticked off the clock before Packers coach Mike McCarthy threw the red challenge flag and Steratore called time out.

After Steratore returned from the replay machine with a Hochuli-esque explanation, Steratore forgot to say one thing: “Please re-set the game clock to four minutes and 36 seconds.”

Another point against these mashed up officiating squads and another reason for DAL fans to weep openly.