PDA

View Full Version : The Packers of Catan

denverYooper
01-15-2015, 03:53 PM
Bakh again getting them into constructive ways to spend their free time (he started the Pitch Perfect craze)

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-packers-of-catan-green-bays-board-game-obsession-1421346102

“Be cool like Justin Perillo, play Catan!”

pbmax
01-15-2015, 04:55 PM
We need a picture of that Perillo sign on this board ASAP.

channtheman
01-15-2015, 08:26 PM
One of the best board games I've played. Fun article.

mraynrand
01-15-2015, 08:41 PM
I would buy a Packers expansion of Catan.

Packman_26
01-15-2015, 10:29 PM
Fantastic game that I've probably played far too much. That's a fun article.

George Cumby
01-15-2015, 10:38 PM
Fun read. Gonna buy a copy of the game soon, now.

HarveyWallbangers
01-16-2015, 12:21 AM
Great game

wootah
01-16-2015, 02:19 AM
Funny article. Catan has a very big luck factor (rolling of the dice), but it's an easy starter. There are far better games out there IMO.

denverYooper
01-16-2015, 06:34 AM
Funny article. Catan has a very big luck factor (rolling of the dice), but it's an easy starter. There are far better games out there IMO.

Yeah, the article got me thinking about when I could start playing it with my kids... my daughter's 5. She might be a tad young yet but I bet she'll be able to start playing in a year or two.

mraynrand
01-16-2015, 07:27 AM
Yeah, the article got me thinking about when I could start playing it with my kids... my daughter's 5. She might be a tad young yet but I bet she'll be able to start playing in a year or two.

5's young, but not too young. Started playing 'Axis and Allies' with the kids at that age. Sometimes the board got tossed when people started losing. I usually apologized later.

3irty1
01-16-2015, 07:52 AM
Since moving to Iowa my wife and I have also turned to board/card games and Catan was our gateway drug. Great game with simple rules and complex strategy but still popular enough to be available at Target.

Some of my favorites I've found:

Munchkin, satirical fantasy card game
Dominion, strategic deck building game
Agricola, strategy farm building game
Bang, mafia type western themed game
Smash up, great card game with simple rules that are easy to teach and varied strategies
Sentinels of the Multiverse, incredibly well designed cooperative card game where players play as super heros. Cooperative games are underrated because a new player can ask questions and table talk without spoiling the strategy. This game was launched on kickstarter.

Cheesehead Craig
01-16-2015, 08:24 AM
My son got introduced to the game by some friends just a few months ago. Soon he'll be old enough to join in on the gaming nights with my friends.

Guiness
01-16-2015, 09:02 AM
Since moving to Iowa my wife and I have also turned to board/card games and Catan was our gateway drug. Great game with simple rules and complex strategy but still popular enough to be available at Target.

Some of my favorites I've found:

Munchkin, satirical fantasy card game
Dominion, strategic deck building game
Agricola, strategy farm building game
Bang, mafia type western themed game
Smash up, great card game with simple rules that are easy to teach and varied strategies
Sentinels of the Multiverse, incredibly well designed cooperative card game where players play as super heros. Cooperative games are underrated because a new player can ask questions and table talk without spoiling the strategy. This game was launched on kickstarter.

I'm a pretty avid board/card gamer myself, and have played most on that list.

Munchkin is almost a bad word around this house - it can just be such an annoying game. Goofyness is the main theme, and it can just get tiresome, especially when teenage boys are involved. I will play it...but in small doses. The Muchkin board game is worse, + it's generally quite long, 2 hours or more.

Dominion is amazing, a favorite. Several expansions that all fit in nicely, and there are so many strategy routes.

Bang, another favorite, probably the most requested, and the first game the kids pull out to show a friend who hasn't played. And shooting dad always seems to be fun.

I LOVE Agricola, but the rules and scoring are quite complex and the game long. For the most part, the kids don't like it and don't have the patience.

Our current favorite is 7 Wonders, a card game in which you try to build the best city state, could be loosely based on the Civilization video game

We also play
Zooleretto, 'draft' animals and create your own zoo.
Puerto Rico, very unique mechanic in which you pick your job each round
Carcassonne, tile laying game, build cities, road and fields

MadtownPacker
01-16-2015, 04:57 PM
That isn't going to help that whole perception FAs have about Green Bay.

red
01-16-2015, 06:39 PM
ok, someone has to do this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a_sx3ozoXI

Guiness
01-16-2015, 06:55 PM

was thinking that...

pbmax
01-16-2015, 07:10 PM
The only game besides Monopoly three generations of Max's can agree to play without threat of never playing the game again at the end.

Suggesting Eurorails or Empire Builder just makes people angry at this point.

denverYooper
01-16-2015, 07:13 PM

They only sign FAs who want to be world champions. Nothing else to do but play German-style board games and win superbowls.

Freak Out
01-16-2015, 09:56 PM
Dominion is a great game....never played Catan.

Cheesehead Craig
01-16-2015, 09:59 PM
The only game besides Monopoly three generations of Max's can agree to play without threat of never playing the game again at the end.

Suggesting Eurorails or Empire Builder just makes people angry at this point.

Playing Eurorails right now in fact.

Maxie the Taxi
01-17-2015, 08:27 AM
Man dies after three-day internet gaming binge (http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/man-dies-after-threeday-internet-gaming-binge-20150117-12sg0a.html)

A Taiwanese man has died after a three-day gaming binge at an internet cafe in the island's south, the second such case this year.

The 32-year-old, identified by his family name Hsieh, was found slumped in his chair in the cafe in Kaohsiung city.

Other patrons initially thought he was sleeping, but when an employee realised he was not breathing he was rushed to hospital, where he was pronounced dead, the Taipei Times reported.

Doctors confirmed he had suffered cardiac failure, ruling it a "sudden death" from prolonged computer gaming, the report said.

Guiness
01-17-2015, 05:10 PM
Man dies after three-day internet gaming binge (http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/man-dies-after-threeday-internet-gaming-binge-20150117-12sg0a.html)

See? Board games are safer! So which game was this guy playing, Starcraft, WoW or LoL? This happens to a Korean about once or twice a year, it seems.

Maxie the Taxi
01-17-2015, 05:21 PM
Strange...

It was not clear what Hsieh was playing at the time of his death. The report described it only as "combat computer games".

The case came after a 38-year-old man was found dead at an internet cafe in New Taipei City on January 1 following five days of video game bingeing.

Police said in both cases other patrons appeared nonchalant about the deaths, continuing playing even when tables were cordoned off for investigators to gather evidence.

pbmax
01-17-2015, 07:55 PM
Strange...

But online they threw a hell of a wake for his character.

superfan
01-17-2015, 09:02 PM
Loved the article, I'm a board gamer too. 3irty1 mentioned Sentinels of the Multiverse, that's one of my favorites, highly recommended - it's basically a super hero co-op boss fight and a lot of fun with the right group.

Rastak
01-17-2015, 09:17 PM
Loved the article, I'm a board gamer too. 3irty1 mentioned Sentinels of the Multiverse, that's one of my favorites, highly recommended - it's basically a super hero co-op boss fight and a lot of fun with the right group.

What up Superfan?

Isn't Sentinals available on the IOS platform? I gotta check that out.

superfan
01-17-2015, 09:23 PM
Hi Ras! Yes it is, a paid app, just released right around Christmas. Haven't tried it on iOS so don't know if it's any good or not. Biggest knock on the regular version is that it's fiddly, an iOS version theoretically would help track everything for you.

woodbuck27
01-17-2015, 09:33 PM

Hello superfan!

Good to see you post here.

If you can check out the game day thread here tomorrow. What a game we'll see.

I can hardly wait.