PDA

View Full Version : Official Packers - Seahawks Game Thread 1/18/15

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

pbmax
01-18-2015, 06:55 PM
I still would like to know why Matthews was not on the field the final two drives in regulation. Was he hurt???

He was in there during the Seahawks OT winning drive ....

He went back in according to Twitter. But I am not sure which drive. It seemed he missed parts of two, I didn't see him on the play Lynch ran in for a TD.

But Twitter makes it seem that it was only a few plays. No explanation I can find.

pbmax
01-18-2015, 06:56 PM
At the same time they were willing to have Rodgers throw on third down twice against Dallas, and this time they run/run/run/punt.

There are few people absolved of the blame for this one. Employing a weak 'play not to lose' strategy. Prevent defense.

Player's mistakes. Coaching mistakes. Were we going to actually attempt to win the game at the end of regulation? We only used one of three timeouts, when they could have maybe been a bit more aggressive moving the ball there.

Dallas was a one score game. There is a difference. But Seattle's offense was percolating. Needed one more first down.

Quarless' non-catch might have been the end of throwing for a first when it fell to the ground.

Bretsky
01-18-2015, 06:57 PM
Today I coached a travelling 5th grade girls team in a BB tourney

As the ball sailed out of bounce off the other teams hand I had a player sprinting for the ball in a close game and for some reason she tried to catch it at the sideline and it went off he hand

I put my arms out...pointed to me brain....and kindly reminded her there is no reason to touch that ball when it's going out of bounce on the other team

It seems like players on our defense had a few of those today at the wrong times today

Freak Out
01-18-2015, 06:58 PM
I still would like to know why Matthews was not on the field the final two drives in regulation. Was he hurt???

He was in there during the Seahawks OT winning drive ....

I agree....what was up with that? Really strange game from the get go....it's horrible but I always had a bad feeling about this one...even when they were up two TDs.

Bretsky
01-18-2015, 06:58 PM
Nailed it !

How many posted this week that ST's would bite the team in the arse!?

I know I did; several times

Bretsky
01-18-2015, 07:03 PM
GB announcers noting how GB was celebrating on the sidelines after the INT...

Striker
01-18-2015, 07:04 PM
Dallas was a one score game. There is a difference. But Seattle's offense was percolating. Needed one more first down.

Quarless' non-catch might have been the end of throwing for a first when it fell to the ground.

It was only one score, but since Seattle was a multi-score game you should be a little more willing to gamble. The defense probably could have used a rest, and it's better than going backwards for 2 out of 3 plays.

King Friday
01-18-2015, 07:11 PM
We'll have to agree to disagree. Maybe you're right in a regular season game, but not in the NFC Championship game in the other guy's stadium.

Nearly every other coach in the league does NOT have a QB the caliber of Aaron Rodgers under center. That is the difference. When you have him...you let him play to WIN it. Otherwise, you are a dumbass for a head coach.

Striker
01-18-2015, 07:12 PM
Nearly every other coach in the league does NOT have a QB the caliber of Aaron Rodgers under center. That is the difference. When you have him...you let him play to WIN it. Otherwise, you are a dumbass for a head coach.

See - Dallas taking a shot on 4th and 2 when they could just run and be safe.

Maxie the Taxi
01-18-2015, 07:12 PM

Very true. Flynn or Tolzien could have QB'ed in that series.:sad:

Rastak
01-18-2015, 07:19 PM

Were they expecting them to be dejected?

Packgator
01-18-2015, 07:51 PM

They should have been celebrating a pick 6. Burnett very likely could have scored on that play.

woodbuck27
01-18-2015, 07:54 PM
There are currently 1316 users online. 53 members and 1263 guests

Most users ever online was 1,631, 01-19-2015 at 01:10 AM.

woodbuck27,
beveaux1,
bobblehead,
Bossman641,
Brandon494,
Bretsky,
Carolina_Packer,
Cheesehead Craig,
denverYooper,
domey,
esoxx,
Fosco33,
Freak Out,
Guiness+,
Harlan Huckleby,
HarveyWallbangers,
hoosier,
HowardRoark,
Infamous,
Iron Mike,
Jimx29,
Joemailman,
King Friday,
LEWCWA,
MadtownPacker,
Maxie the Taxi,
mraynrand,
Netmag,
oldbutnotdeadyet,
Oscar,
Packers4Glory,
Packgator,
pbmax,
pittstang5,
Rastak,
Razer,
red,
rollo,
Rutnstrut,
SDPackfan,
shammye06,
SMBASS,
Strange Brew,
Striker,
Teamcheez1,
The Shadow,
ThunderDan,
Tony Oday,
TravisWilliams23,
VegasPackFan,
vince,
wist43,
yetisnowman

gbgary
01-18-2015, 08:58 PM
bostick, burnett, capers, mm, and the dbs (late)...were the biggest goats. bostick confessed it wasn't his job to go for the recovery, burnett went brain dead, capers and mm went conservative, dbs suddenly couldn't cover anyone. this wiped 4th and 26 (or whatever it was) right off the map.

woodbuck27
01-19-2015, 06:41 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/19/marshawns-touchdown-move-could-have-been-costly-to-seahawks/

Marshawn’s touchdown move could have been costly to Seahawks

Posted by Mike Florio on January 19, 2015, 5:56 PM EST

Freak Out
01-19-2015, 07:02 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/19/marshawns-touchdown-move-could-have-been-costly-to-seahawks/

Marshawn’s touchdown move could have been costly to Seahawks

Posted by Mike Florio on January 19, 2015, 5:56 PM EST

If the Packers had bigger balls they would have won.

woodbuck27
01-19-2015, 07:31 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/19/brandon-bostick-the-whole-world-is-on-my-back-about-this-thing/

Brandon Bostick: “The whole world is on my back about this thing”

Posted by Darin Gantt on January 19, 2015, 2:15 PM EST

woodbuck27
01-31-2015, 08:53 AM
Comment woodbuck27:

No real Green Bay Packer fan should ever forget this game. It will forever be memorable for me because there is so much to learn from it.

Learning comes more from failure than success.

A bloggers play by play look at the entire game. This is actually fun to read and a different reflection on what most of us saw LIVE.

http://blogs.wsj.com/dailyfix/2015/01/18/nfc-championship-green-bay-at-seattle-live-blog/

2:26 pm ET Jan 18, 2015

NFL

Seahawks Come Back, Beat Packers 28-22 in Overtime

Note:

The blog is written in real time not from time on the game clock.

woodbuck27
01-31-2015, 10:00 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/seahawks/2015/01/19/seahawks-jon-ryan-fake-field-goal-touchdown-pass-belt-celebration-mike-mccarthy/21984331/

Seahawks Jon Ryan does 'the belt' celebration at Mike McCarthy

Tom Pelissero, USA TODAY Sports 8:17 a.m. EST January 19, 2015

SEATTLE — A national TV audience saw Seattle Seahawks backup tackle Garry Gilliam celebrate his touchdown on a fake field goal in Sunday's NFC Championship Game by mimicking Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers' title belt celebration.

Far fewer saw Seahawks punter/holder Jon Ryan doing the same move with gusto toward the Packers bench — a move he says he'd been waiting to unleash on his old team for years.

"I did the belt," Ryan said, laughing, "right at (Packers coach) Mike McCarthy."

Comment woodbuck27:

There's not much a pro athlete enjoys more than having an outstanding performance Vs your former team.

" There...that's what you get for releasing me."

I cannot tell you how very often that comes up in the NHL.

It's simply 'Ohh So Canadian'.

Carolina_Packer
01-31-2015, 10:24 AM
http://www.king5.com/story/sports/nfl/seahawks/2015/01/17/jon-ryan-cut-by-packers-mistake/21928607/ Apparently Schneider was the one who cut him back in 2008, and admits it was a mistake. Oh, really? You mean because Derrick Frost was a downgrade? Ryan was not spectacular, but cutting him started the 1 year eras of Derrick Frost and Jeremy Kapinos in successive years. Oy! At least Masthay has provided some stability at that position. I would agree with Scheider that it was a dumb move to cut him. I can't remember if he had a punting competition with Derrick Frost in TC or if Frost was simply brought in off the streets.

red
01-31-2015, 10:26 AM
what asshole decided to bring this thread back from the dead?

i think it should be locked, then burned so none of us ever have to visit this memory again

denverYooper
01-31-2015, 12:17 PM
I just want this stupid season over already. Can they just play the superbowl today and be done with it?

woodbuck27
01-31-2015, 12:48 PM
This is the Game Thread and all Packerrats felt about this historic loss in a NFC championship game. It's like a kick in the nuts that smarts for awhile. I do know this much:

a) You don't learn anything running from it. You embrace the loss from every advantage of dealing with the truth.

At the same time.......

b) You don't allow the burden of it to hold you down.

It goes to Mike McCarthy's Presser this week and the bottom line if it's backed up:

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-mccarthy-press-conference/article-1/Mike-McCarthy-addresses-several-breakdowns-in-Seattle/b19739ec-3934-4fa0-9ed1-ab90d935fc15

Mike McCarthy addresses several breakdowns in Seattle

Posted Jan 28, 2015

Mike Spofford ... packers.com senior writer

Packers head coach says next season can’t carry burden of last season’s disappointing finish

GO PACK GO !

red
01-31-2015, 12:57 PM
well guess what, we the fans don't have shit to learn from this thread, nor do "we" need to adjust anything

woodbuck27
01-31-2015, 07:34 PM
well guess what, we the fans don't have shit to learn from this thread, nor do "we" need to adjust anything

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS4XUa-UJ7FWJugoPguOvqemYKrHYwdG0VO05q4m74sghONDnIfpA

Tharr she goes byes !

Wait ... wait ... where's Slocum ?

pbmax
01-31-2015, 10:04 PM
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS4XUa-UJ7FWJugoPguOvqemYKrHYwdG0VO05q4m74sghONDnIfpA

Tharr she goes byes !

Wait ... wait ... where's Slocum ?

He's back on land. Advised the builders you wouldn't need that many lifeboats.

red
01-31-2015, 10:18 PM
He's back on land. Advised the builders you wouldn't need that many lifeboats.

telling the captain to go ahead and take the northern route at full speed, because he doesn't foresee there being any icebergs this time of year

Guiness
01-31-2015, 11:08 PM
Apparently Schneider was the one who cut him back in 2008, and admits it was a mistake. Oh, really? You mean because Derrick Frost was a downgrade? Ryan was not spectacular, but cutting him started the 1 year eras of Derrick Frost and Jeremy Kapinos in successive years. Oy! At least Masthay has provided some stability at that position. I would agree with Scheider that it was a dumb move to cut him. I can't remember if he had a punting competition with Derrick Frost in TC or if Frost was simply brought in off the streets.

IIRC, Ryan was cut days before the regular season opener. Rumour was that the Packers had their eye on Frost, and when he was cut by Washington Ryan was punted and they brought Frost right in and signed him.

I think he went on to a front office position in the NFLPA.

Bossman641
02-01-2015, 01:11 AM
At this point I feel like I'm over the loss, but seeing the game tomorrow will probably bring back the memories

woodbuck27
02-01-2015, 06:41 AM
At this point I feel like I'm over the loss, but seeing the game tomorrow will probably bring back the memories

On that day I believe most of Packer Nation would agree that the Green Bay Packers were for by far most of that game the better team.

We try our best here to slice and dice it and analyze it all. To better understand what caused every missed point and blown play. That's why a forum such as this exists.

That's why I discover stuff like this;

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2015/01/22/16-plays-that-cost-packers-in-nfc-title-game/22173121/

We're not back in High School and enjoying Pepper Rallies...Rah Rah rah... it's all Packers !

We rather look at everything and hope to see and agree with what the Packers Powers need to do to avoid the mistakes that obviously went down in that collapse. That's a struggle in itself here with different personalities, emotions and personal agendas that too often have little to do with a focus of Green Bay Packer needs (improvements). When we know we've got it right we have to remain patient with Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy.

For example... how long we've waited for Packer Head Coach Mike McCarthy to dismiss Shawn Slocum. Now should DC Dom capers stay or go? How will the poor punting position on the Packers be cleaned up?

I feel this way:

The Green Bay Packers have now lost three straight games to the NFC Champion Seattle Seahawks. I see that organization as a road block to the Packers getting another Super Bowl win in the Ted Thompson, Mike McCarthy and Aaron Rodgers era. I look for and read all I can about that last game in Seattle. If I simply could forget this game or imagine I could ! Would I be able to seriously deem myself a dedicated Green Bay Packer fan?

This to me is simply another frustration I endure as a Packer fan; one I'll survive to see a better result.

GO PACKERS ! GO PACK GO !!

mraynrand
02-01-2015, 11:07 AM

There will be specials on this for all time. Just like...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/84/Hindenburg_burning.jpg

OH, THE HUMANITY!!!

esoxx
02-01-2015, 12:13 PM
I'm still in the anger stage. Getting this game played and over should help getting to next phase.

But will I ever truly be "over" this game?

Ah, no.

mraynrand
02-01-2015, 12:32 PM
I'm still in the anger stage. Getting this game played and over should help getting to next phase.

But will I ever truly be "over" this game?

Ah, no.

Maybe. I remember after the 2010 Superbowl win, all those bad feelings about 1997,1998, 2001,2,3,4,7, and 2009 kinda washed away. Sure I still remember the losses, but the anger and regret vanished. It was truly remarkable - a total reset. Now we need to wash away 2011,2,3,4. One thing I just love is being in the hunt all the time. Man, the seasons are so much fun when you realize you really have a legitimate shot to win it all. And next year will be no different. Thanks, Bob Harlan, thanks Ron Wolf, Mike Holmgren, Bert, Reggie, Ted Thompson, Stubby, Rodgers, Woodson, and Clay (and a whole bunch of others). The playoff losses are heartbreaking, but the opportunities are glorious.

denverYooper
02-01-2015, 12:40 PM
I think of it more like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5c/TacomaNarrowsBridgeCollapse_in_color.jpg

After long years of futility against the NFC West it finally looked like the Packers had engineered a solid TEAM victory over the Seatac Shitbirds and spanned whatever mental/physical divide had separated Green Bay from the Seattle/San Fran nexus.

But then, 42 mph winds came blowing off of Puget Sound and caused some kind of unforeseen aeroelastic flutter due to the construction of its special teams... err... rigid sides that allowed the structure to catch the wind and twist hopelessly into the Sound.

Joemailman
02-01-2015, 12:44 PM
The loss was excruciating, but I'm already looking ahead to next year. I think it's because I see the Packers as an ascending team. Unlike teams like New Orleans, New York Giants and San Francisco, the Packers are better than they were 2 years ago. The Packers let one get away, and were hampered by Rodgers' injury, but I think they're the best overall team in football. The near future looks pretty awesome.

woodbuck27
02-01-2015, 12:59 PM
The loss was excruciating, but I'm already looking ahead to next year. I think it's because I see the Packers as an ascending team. Unlike teams like New Orleans, New York Giants and San Francisco, the Packers are better than they were 2 years ago. The Packers let one get away, and were hampered by Rodgers' injury, but I think they're the best overall team in football. The near future looks pretty awesome.

The best two teams in the NFL are competing for the Super Bowl today.

That fact should be very obvious.

Joemailman
02-01-2015, 01:10 PM

No. The best team doesn't always win. If the current Packers team played the current Seahawks team multiple times, I think the Packers would win most of them. They just didn't win last Sunday.

mraynrand
02-01-2015, 03:59 PM

Packers beat them both. Not obvious.

woodbuck27
02-04-2015, 07:39 PM
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4BZtv72Mm-eLPaZBcs44S6kNYDK5QPqch-HWs3YtLQDd0gO4V_Q

That's 'the Spirit Boys'

Never Surrender !

Rutnstrut
02-04-2015, 08:54 PM
Packers beat them both. Not obvious.

Really they beat them both?

woodbuck27
02-04-2015, 09:06 PM

Homerism a far worse ailment than arthritis.

woodbuck27
02-12-2015, 06:00 PM
Comment woodbuck27:

Please stop...Read this and be WARNED. I don't want any member here blowing a fuse. :???:

This post is for the record...

I know there are members here that are actually sensitive to this thread and if your one of them I advise you NOT TO READ THIS POST... IGNORE THIS POST ...It's simply for the record.

If you read it and that bugs you ..'YOU' blame yourself.

Yes, a lot if's - but even with those if's - if MM and dunderdummy don't each of them crawl into a shell - we still win the game.

MM beginning to take a knee at the 5 min mark; dunderdummy's amazing 3 man rush, and cover no one defense on 3rd and forever, his abandoning the middle of the field and playing a 2-4 which allows Lynch to simply run up the middle for a 1st down on 3rd and 6, and allows him to run up the middle for 13 yds, and 14 yds, on and on...

All of those things are coaching decisions that absolutely killed us.

When the game reached regulation time the Green Bay Packers still had a shot if they gathered themselves.

On another thread (somewhere?) ... I brought up this matter of the defensive call on the play on the opening possession of overtime that ending with the Russell Wilson to Jermaine Kearse TD (beating Tramone Williams). A 1st and 10 play from the Packers 35 yard line.

The Seahawks were in field goal range. Wasn't it of primary importance to prevent a play for six? At least... 'only' allow a FG and get the ball back for a chance at a 'W'?

These questions came to me:

** Why are defensive stalwarts Morgan Burnett and Julius Peppers left off the field?

** Why does Dom Capers go all in with 'a blitz' and leave it so four defenders are left close to the LOS and completely out of the play?

**Why was backup SS Sean Richardson left to cover underneath with at least two other LBers and not provide help over the top and inside of CB Tramon Williams?

** As the defensive alignment stood before the snap why did Tramon Williams allow Jermaine Kearse to release inside and make any pass defense more difficult? Any decent pass inside and Tramon Williams was likely toasted !

I came across an article specifically on this Packer defensive oversight and that critiques Dom Capers 'all in approach' on this game ending play; and specifically points a finger at Tramon Williams. As your considering TWill's FA status maybe this will impact that!?

http://allgbp.com/2015/01/21/packers-xs-and-os-film-session-final-death-knell/

Packers Xs and Os Film Session: Final Death Knell

Posted on January 21, 2015 by Jay Hodgson

Final comment:

That whole thing can be described with two words ... "mailed in". It's like a switch was thrown and from a certain point in time everything that could possibly go towords helping the Seattle Seahawks win that game happened for just that.

I'm not just talking about the last five minutes of regulation and OT.

The whole thing just stunk.

mraynrand
02-12-2015, 06:17 PM

Yep, the Packers beat the sea chickens like a rental car for 55 minutes. Too bad they didn't finish the job.

mraynrand
02-12-2015, 06:18 PM
Homerism a far worse ailment than arthritis.

http://www.lovethispic.com/uploaded_images/108229-Homerism-101.jpg

woodbuck27
02-12-2015, 07:49 PM
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTUAmBxtc3HSfj7y4MwbHW1-ZRNwjPQIYkp9aOs41d2cuvRwgje

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRYyjOhRK91Ku9RVhpngWMdabdaprxBP eyoqQc5XiKzKWVkvVK8

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSVZNupOyAMuG65yJvWVE_zuWwfZ_FEY kxogmse3njEX79LeSEv

esoxx
07-21-2015, 06:23 PM
For all you masochist's out there, ESPN is showing this game at 6:30pm CDT tonight. Part of their "NFL's Greatest Games" series. A condensed, half hour torture package starring Brandon Bostick.

Don't worry if you miss it. It's being rebroadcast at 8:30pm as well.:lol:

denverYooper
07-21-2015, 07:55 PM
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair.

pbmax
07-21-2015, 08:55 PM
No.

mraynrand
07-21-2015, 10:14 PM
For all you masochist's out there, ESPN is showing this game at 6:30pm CDT tonight. Part of their "NFL's Greatest Games" series. A condensed, half hour torture package starring Brandon Bostick.

Don't worry if you miss it. It's being rebroadcast at 8:30pm as well.:lol:

Where are those hackers when you really need them?

mraynrand
07-21-2015, 10:19 PM
http://cdn.meme.am/instances2/500x/857265.jpg...

George Cumby
07-22-2015, 12:30 AM
Do what the wife and I do when we watch "Cold Mountain"; turn it off right before Jude Law dies.......

mraynrand
07-22-2015, 12:37 AM
Do what the wife and I do when we watch "Cold Mountain"; turn it off right before Jude Law dies.......

Jude Law died at the game?