Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 1m1 minute ago
HC Mike McCarthy at the podium:
Very proud of our football team... season-long growth as a team. #Packers

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 6m6 minutes ago
McCarthy: Congratulations to the Seattle Seahawks. #Packers #GBvsSEA

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 5m5 minutes ago
McCarthy: Seattle made the big plays when they needed to. #Packers #GBvsSEA

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 4m4 minutes ago
MM: Our defense gave us many opportunities with the turnovers.
#Packers #GBvsSEA

pbmax
01-18-2015, 06:02 PM
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 2m2 minutes ago
A.J. Hawk: "It's a terrible feeling, especially with a game like this."

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1m1 minute ago
Hawk on McCarthy's message: "I think he's in a state of shock as well as we are."

Bretsky
01-18-2015, 06:12 PM
AROD had some very short comments and was very irritated when trying to answer a question in regards to his 4th qtr offense.

Teamcheez1
01-18-2015, 06:15 PM
AROD had some very short comments and was very irritated when trying to answer a question in regards to his 4th qtr offense.

AR was 19-34 for 178 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT, and a QB rating of 55.8. He needs to start with himself is he is unhappy with the result.

pbmax
01-18-2015, 06:23 PM
John Middlekauff ‏@JohnMiddlekauff 43m43 minutes ago
Joe Montana threw 3 INTs in "the catch" game in 1981

pbmax
01-18-2015, 06:24 PM
Chris B. Brown ‏@smartfootball 17m17 minutes ago
Seahawks, man. Seahawks. RT @Neil_Paine: Incredible.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B7q3xjiIgAECXKv.jpg:large

pbmax
01-18-2015, 06:26 PM
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 16m16 minutes ago
Aaron Rodgers: "This was a great opportunity. We were right on the cusp."

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 15m15 minutes ago
Rodgers: "This one's going to hurt for a while. We gave it away."

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 14m14 minutes ago
Rodgers at the podium: We had a chance to do things and we didn’t do it. #Packers #GBvsSEA

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 12m12 minutes ago
T.J. Lang: "The way the first 55 minutes went, you feel really good about where you're at."

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 11s11 seconds ago
Asked Rodgers about not going at clearly injured Richard Sherman. Going to transcribe now. Also clearly unhappy with unaggressive approach.

pbmax
01-18-2015, 06:27 PM
Mike Vandermause is Tweeting again after leaving Packers coverage. And saying the most obvious things. I might have to throw him in the Lake.

denverYooper
01-18-2015, 06:29 PM
Doesn't matter. It came down Bostick and Slocum and they failed.

pbmax
01-18-2015, 06:52 PM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 7m7 minutes ago
Rodgers: "We were the better team today and we played well enough to win and we can’t blame anybody but ourselves."

Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause 8m8 minutes ago
Packers QB Aaron Rodgers wouldn't elaborate, but in post-game presser via WLUK not happy with un-aggressive offensive approach in 4th Q.

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 12m12 minutes ago
Micah Hyde: We let it go. That’s all I can say right now. You can’t put it into words. We let it go

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 13m13 minutes ago
Mike McCarthy: I'm not questioning my play calling http://wp.me/p14QSB-9GK5

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 18m18 minutes ago
Stand-up dude RT @RoFloESPN Respect to Brandon Bostick for talking to reporters after game. I know a few players and coaches who wouldn't

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 19m19 minutes ago
Bostick: "It wasn't my job at all. I was supposed to block. I just reacted to the ball and thought I could get it. Obviously, I couldn't."

OUCH!

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 19m19 minutes ago
Tramon Williams: We squandered away every opportunity there was to put that game away and there is no excuse for it.

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 2m2 minutes ago
Rodgers on idea of going after Sherman playing with one arm: "I think we could've. We just didn't execute very well."

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 3m3 minutes ago
Rodgers on calf: "The fourth quarter, I just kind of let it go. I needed to push it and run a little bit and just kind of let it go."

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 5m5 minutes ago
Rodgers on #Packers three-and-out possessions with 6:53 and 5:04 left: "Not very good. When you do that, that's how you lose games."

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 6m6 minutes ago
Rodgers: "When you go back and think about it, at times we weren’t playing as aggressive as we usually are."

King Friday
01-18-2015, 07:01 PM
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 13m13 minutes ago
Mike McCarthy: I'm not questioning my play calling http://wp.me/p14QSB-9GK5

Nope...nothing to see here. We got 5 turnovers and dominated the game between the 20s...but the loss must have been a result of aliens or something.

McCarthy may not question it...but Rodgers sure as hell will. McCarthy will get a serious "WTF?" from Rodgers this week. The coach better listen to every word of it too.

Harlan Huckleby
01-18-2015, 07:03 PM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 6m6 minutes ago
Rodgers: "When you go back and think about it, at times we weren’t playing as aggressive as we usually are."

game on

Maxie the Taxi
01-18-2015, 07:09 PM
game on

That's an interesting quote, isn't it? I think there were more players than Rodgers who felt that way. I certainly felt that way at the time.

Harlan Huckleby
01-18-2015, 07:12 PM
In home game, Rodgers can audible to more aggressive plays.

As Seinfeld would say, "Newman!" - Buffalo!

Rastak
01-18-2015, 07:26 PM
Bostick: "It wasn't my job at all. I was supposed to block. I just reacted to the ball and thought I could get it. Obviously, I couldn't."

Vince nailed that one.

Bretsky
01-18-2015, 07:48 PM
Vince nailed that one.

YUPPPPPP
KUDOS

AND THX FOR CLARIFYING VINCE

HOWEVER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>..

I coach a travelling girls 5th grade basketball team. We are not overly talented. I keep telling the we need to play great D and we have to be smarter and more prepared then our competition.
It's MY job to make sure they are mentally prepared and do what they are supposed to do.

Bostick made a mental mistake

His coach has to take some ownership in the failure

Joemailman
01-18-2015, 07:51 PM
I'm guessing Rodgers and MM not sitting next to each other on the plane ride home.

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Rodgers-on-loss-This-will-hurt-for-a-while/feb12eea-a5a1-4fe3-8a7b-b968643c4f84

vince
01-18-2015, 07:55 PM
game on
Rodgers has as much control over plays as McCarthy. If the offense was too conservative with the lead, that's Rodgers going risk-averse so as to avoid risk of an immediate game-changing turnover, which he knows is the quickest and most likely way to lose this game and every other one as well.
The most effective way to win football games when you have the lead is to minimize the risk of costly mistakes and get the clock to zero as fast as possible.
The most effective way to win football games when you're behind is to take chances and hope you don't make costly mistakes even though you're increasing your risk of doing so, and try to make the game as long as possible so you have as much opportunity as possible to come back.

In either case you have to execute. You can execute less effectively and still maximize your opportunity to win if you make the game short when you're winning and long when you're behind though.

Today it didn't work because guys didn't make the plays they needed to at just the time they most needed them - not because coaching lost them the game.

Bretsky
01-18-2015, 07:58 PM
I'm guessing Rodgers and MM not sitting next to each other on the plane ride home.

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Rodgers-on-loss-This-will-hurt-for-a-while/feb12eea-a5a1-4fe3-8a7b-b968643c4f84

CAN YOU ELABORATE ON YOU NOTING THE OFFENSE WAS NOT AS AGGRESSIVE AS YOU ARE USED TO

:NO I CAN NOT:

King Friday
01-18-2015, 07:59 PM
Rodgers has as much control over plays as McCarthy.

Um...no. One is the head coach, and he calls the plays. Yes, Rodgers is allowed to audible typically...however, I'm sure he was emphatically told not to check out of a running play. He potentially could have changed the direction of a play I suppose...but with 10 men in the box, I don't think it really mattered.

Harlan Huckleby
01-18-2015, 08:01 PM
CAN YOU ELABORATE ON YOU NOTING THE OFFENSE WAS NOT AS AGGRESSIVE AS YOU ARE USED TO

:NO I CAN NOT:

Does problem rhyme with "bat bike"?

pbmax
01-18-2015, 08:09 PM
OK, let's count the one play that could have turned the game un-losable.

1. Kuhn scores on goalline
2. Lacy scores on goalline
3. Cobb catches low slant but still gets first down
4. Quarless catches the 3rd down pass
5. Blown coverage on Lynch's wheel route that put them on the 9 yard line.

vince
01-18-2015, 08:11 PM
YUPPPPPP
KUDOS

AND THX FOR CLARIFYING VINCE

HOWEVER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>..

I coach a travelling girls 5th grade basketball team. We are not overly talented. I keep telling the we need to play great D and we have to be smarter and more prepared then our competition.
It's MY job to make sure they are mentally prepared and do what they are supposed to do.

Bostick made a mental mistake

His coach has to take some ownership in the failure
I'm guessing getting those girls to do what you coach them to do doesn't always work. It works a lot better at the NFL level but there isn't a coach in history whose ever gotten their players to always do what they've coached them to do. People are people. Guys (and girls) make mistakes and/or fail to execute no matter how perfect the coaching is. Obviously not all coaches are created equal, but blaming the coach when teams lose is usually misguided. Not always - but usually.

mraynrand
01-18-2015, 08:11 PM
I'm still stunned that they didn't go after Sherman. One of those flat runs like they gave DuJuan Harris in 2012, with the WRS blocking away would have been nice. A pass at him would have been nice. Gawd this is a terrible loss to have to think over. Worse than 4th and 26.

pbmax
01-18-2015, 08:13 PM
Did the known problems of the team cause the defeat?

1. Red Zone issues - check
2. Special Teams screwups - check (despite a good day of coverage and tackling)
3. Receivers can't shake man coverage quickly - check
4. Late D meltdown - check

mraynrand
01-18-2015, 08:13 PM
I'm guessing getting those girls to do what you coach them to do doesn't always work. It works a lot better at the NFL level but there isn't a coach in history whose ever gotten their players to always do what they've coached them to do. People are people. Guys (and girls) make mistakes and/or fail to execute no matter how perfect the coaching is. Obviously not all coaches are created equal, but blaming the coach when teams lose is usually misguided. Not always - but usually.

Yeah, for Bostick it was both a physical and mental error - he didn't do what the coaches told him to do. I do feel sorry for him - he has to live with it every day for the rest of his life.

digitaldean
01-18-2015, 08:15 PM

Point #1 was the biggest factor. The Packers should have at least been up by 24 at halftime. Bostick channeling his inner Ed West on the onside kick and not attacking a 1-armed Sherman and the D just collapsing at the end are the next culprits.

Teamcheez1
01-18-2015, 08:17 PM
Just read over on JS Online on the game winning TD, our defense was loaded up for the run and Wilson audibled to the deep pass when he saw there would be no safeties over the top. We ran the ball whether we saw 8 or 9 players in the box in the 4th qtr.

Watching the Pat's-Colt's game. Why on earth are the Patriots trying to score more points when they were up 24-7? They should just run the clock out.

Teamcheez1
01-18-2015, 08:18 PM
Point #1 was the biggest factor. The Packers should have at least been up by 24 at halftime. Bostick channeling his inner Ed West on the onside kick and not attacking a 1-armed Sherman and the D just collapsing at the end are the next culprits.

Except for the SB year, hasn't the D collapsed in every playoff loss since then?

pbmax
01-18-2015, 08:18 PM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 2m2 minutes ago
McCarthy: "I have no regrets. I don’t regret anything. Hell, I expected to win the game, we were in position to win the game."

Striker
01-18-2015, 08:19 PM
Except for the SB year, hasn't the D collapsed in every playoff loss since then?

2009, yes.
2010, no
2011, wash (the offense was also putrid)
2012, absolutely
2013, gave up the FG drive.
2014, yep

pbmax
01-18-2015, 08:20 PM

No. You can't call the last two a collapse (same goes for last three playoff games). Offense wasn't helping at all. Some poor play, yes. But they kept the team in the 49ers game, the Cowboys game and the Seachickens game.

Packers offense has been in a funk at the end of 3 seasons of the last four.

pbmax
01-18-2015, 08:21 PM
2009, yes.
2010, no
2011, wash (the offense was also putrid)
2012, absolutely
2013, gave up the FG drive.
2014, yep

The only reason the Packers are in the 49er, Boys and Seachicken game is the defense.

Bretsky
01-18-2015, 08:21 PM

It undoubtedly does NOT always work. And when it does not I share in the blame. Today we went 2-1. The two teams we barely beat IMO were better than the team we lost to. I take part of the blame there

When patterns formulate...with the same coach..over and over....it's not hard to find justifiable blame

King Friday
01-18-2015, 08:22 PM

DING-DING-DING...winner!!

This is why the notion that this only a self-destruct by the players is complete bullshit. The coaching staff has failed to find ways to fix some of these things FOR YEARS. Ultimately, that is on McCarthy. He has to make MAJOR changes this offseason or he should face serious criticism.

Bretsky
01-18-2015, 08:23 PM
Just read over on JS Online on the game winning TD, our defense was loaded up for the run and Wilson audibled to the deep pass when he saw there would be no safeties over the top. We ran the ball whether we saw 8 or 9 players in the box in the 4th qtr.

Watching the Pat's-Colt's game. Why on earth are the Patriots trying to score more points when they were up 24-7? They should just run the clock out.

Pats IMO have the best coach in the NFL and probably the best OC as well.

They trust Brady. They don't stop trying to score.

It's 38-7. We'lll probably still see some passing

pbmax
01-18-2015, 08:24 PM
Have solved depression. Someone is practicing a musical instrument and the music, slightly off-key and tempo, is soothing the savage beast.

pbmax
01-18-2015, 08:24 PM
Pats IMO have the best coach in the NFL and probably the best OC as well.

They trust Brady. They don't stop trying to score.

It's 38-7. We'lll probably still see some passing

Brady is healthy.

mraynrand
01-18-2015, 08:25 PM
The only reason the Packers are in the 49er, Boys and Seachicken game is the defense.

This was a team loss. All phases played some great football, and they all collapsed.

King Friday
01-18-2015, 08:25 PM

C'mon Vince.

How many times do you need to see Slocum's units screw up before you fault him for it? 438? 671? We've got to be getting close by now, aren't we??

mraynrand
01-18-2015, 08:26 PM
DING-DING-DING...winner!!

This is why the notion that this only a self-destruct by the players is complete bullshit. The coaching staff has failed to find ways to fix some of these things FOR YEARS. Ultimately, that is on McCarthy. He has to make MAJOR changes this offseason or he should face serious criticism.

This is probably too extreme. Packers had a lot of things solved for 55 minutes.

pbmax
01-18-2015, 08:26 PM
This was a team loss. All phases played some great football, and they all collapsed.

The Packers has some great runs. Passing game was modest. Defense held this game in hand. One more assist from offense and its out of reach.

King Friday
01-18-2015, 08:27 PM

Yep...numerous chokes. However, the most glaring were from the special teams. That is why Slocum's head has to roll. His players have produced subpar play for far too long.

Bretsky
01-18-2015, 08:28 PM
Brady is healthy.

True...but Hogwash......MM has shown over the years he'll turn conservative over the years. I'm not saying he's right or wrong. He plays the odds. And they almost always win when he does. Just not today.

Striker
01-18-2015, 08:28 PM

Yes, that is true. However to give up 200 yards in a little over a minute? That's a collapse.

Same thing with the 49ers game. They had the 49ers dead to rights twice, and failed to hold.

pbmax
01-18-2015, 08:29 PM
True...but Hogwash......MM has shown over the years he'll turn conservative over the years. I'm not saying he's right or wrong. He plays the odds. And they almost always win when he does. Just not today.

He was aggressive this year with a healthy QB. He has gone four minute offense too early before, but this year he was on a roll.

mraynrand
01-18-2015, 08:29 PM
C'mon Vince.

How many times do you need to see Slocum's units screw up before you fault him for it? 438? 671? We've got to be getting close by now, aren't we??

They didn't screw up kicking 5 FGs, forcing a fumble, pinning Seattle deep over and over.

King Friday
01-18-2015, 08:32 PM
This is probably too extreme. Packers had a lot of things solved for 55 minutes.

So you disagree that what failed today is an extension of the same mistakes we've seen continuously over the last year or more? I thought McCarthy was going to get some of that shit fixed? He apparently didn't...and it failed him when he decided to conservatively milk the clock and hope his defense and special teams could be counted on.

King Friday
01-18-2015, 08:33 PM
They didn't screw up kicking 5 FGs, forcing a fumble, pinning Seattle deep over and over.

Special teams lost the game. They gave up a TD on a fake FG that they should've been expecting was very possible that gave Seattle life...and couldn't grab an on-side kick to win the game.

vince
It undoubtedly does NOT always work. And when it does not I share in the blame. Today we went 2-1. The two teams we barely beat IMO were better than the team we lost to. I take part of the blame there

When patterns formulate...with the same coach..over and over....it's not hard to find justifiable blameYou can blame yourself until you're blue in the face for every mistake but that doesn't make you right about where the blame lies. There isn't a coach in human history that could coach up a team of 5th grade girls to perform perfectly.

I agree that a change is overdue with the Special Teams coach, even though I'm completely in the dark about how much blame actually lies with Slocum. Shit ain't right? Blame the coach. That's pretty easy. Shit ain't right a lot? Probably more likely my stab-in-the-dark guess about the real effectiveness of the coach is more accurate.

woodbuck27
Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 1m1 minute ago
HC Mike McCarthy at the podium:
Very proud of our football team... season-long growth as a team. #Packers

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 6m6 minutes ago
McCarthy: Congratulations to the Seattle Seahawks. #Packers #GBvsSEA

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 5m5 minutes ago
McCarthy: Seattle made the big plays when they needed to. #Packers #GBvsSEA

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 4m4 minutes ago
MM: Our defense gave us many opportunities with the turnovers.
#Packers #GBvsSEA

Then he got:

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQKzi3Pq0g0QRdnUy5j-HFw-ACzBMjFK71OEjHhCTDCqqRu_7gu

Harlan Huckleby
01-18-2015, 08:35 PM
You can blame yourself until you're blue in the face for every mistake but that doesn't make you right about where the blame lies. There isn't a coach in human history that could coach up a team of 5th grade girls to perform perfectly.

Gene Hackman or Walther Matthau

pbmax
01-18-2015, 08:40 PM
vince is starting to win me over.

woodbuck27
01-18-2015, 08:45 PM
Vince nailed that one.

Yes he did.

woodbuck27
01-18-2015, 09:05 PM
From a pbmax post #10

" ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 13m13 minutes ago
Mike McCarthy: I'm not questioning my play calling http://wp.me/p14QSB-9GK5 "

Was Mike McCarthy in some shock after the game? He seemed to be in shock during it.

How can that man make such a stupid response after he clearly called a pathetic game offensively. Mike McCarthy called it like a coach would if he expected to lose. I'll take what this situation obviously gives me.

Those two FG calls early sucked out loud ! Forget the muffed call on the Richard Sherman pick. He left 8 more points on the board by not having any guts.

The call to throw over Richard Sherman in the end zone to Devante Adams wasn't a high percentage play as he should have been well aware of how Aaron Rodgers arm was. Aaron didn't look sound in this game. He looked frankly spaced out. His passing was terrible.

Clearly Mike McCarthy is to be held mainly responsible for this loss. He's the Head Coach.

Mike McCarthy took his foot off the gas pedal over and over and over and again ! He was far too passive in his play calls. He called that game ...scared !

Wait .....is this a flashback ! Ohh right ....we've been right here before.

Posters here are always so quick to jump all over the ST coach. Why is Slocum the ST coach if he doesn't have the approval of Mike McCarthy!? If you want Slocum released that's on Mike McCarthy.

It's the same Ole same Ole again. Mike McCarthy gets upstaged in a challenging matchup. If you want to see another Green Bay Packer win you cannot support Mike McCarthy as the Packers HC and seriously believe in Aaron Rodgers and Green Bay Packers and another Super Bowl.

It comes down to reality and this question:

How high are your expectations?

It's simply put and either or situation. THE TRUTH IS:

We're stuck with Mike McCarthy and his happy little family of Packer coaches.

pbmax
01-18-2015, 09:08 PM
Woodbuck, you cannot question the playcalling publicly after a loss. That just undermines confidence further. You do this with your season end post-mortem in house. Not in public. If you make changes, you talk about them in the Spring.

SOP.

pbmax
01-18-2015, 09:15 PM
Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 48m48 minutes ago
CM3 said "medley of things" caught up w/ him late. Worked w/ trainers to get back "I have enough time to rest now so dont feel sorry for me"

Bossman641
01-18-2015, 09:50 PM

Rodgers hits Nelson on the out route in the end zone.

pbmax
01-18-2015, 09:52 PM
Rodgers hits Nelson on the out route in the end zone.

6. Rodgers hits Nelson on the out route in the end zone

#6 hurt. He was open but stumbled a bit. That split second might have put the ball right on his outstretched hand.

Bretsky
01-18-2015, 09:54 PM

6. Rodgers hits Nelson on the out route in the end zone

#6 hurt. He was open but stumbled a bit. That split second might have put the ball right on his outstretched hand.

WASN'T THERE A INTERCEPTION MISS BY HAHA AS WELL ??

pbmax
01-18-2015, 09:55 PM
WASN'T THERE A INTERCEPTION MISS BY HAHA AS WELL ??

Yes but it was followed by an INT from Burnett, wasn't it?

pbmax
01-18-2015, 09:59 PM
Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 8h8 hours ago
FWIW, Lombardi said big mistake in '60 champ game was going for TD 4th & 1 1st half. His rule of thumb: kick 1st half, go for it 2nd half

Argument ended! #AppealToAuthority

pbmax
01-18-2015, 10:00 PM
Brian Burke ‏@Adv_NFL_Stats 31m31 minutes ago
GB-SEA game demonstrates the importance of not settling for FGs, 4th down TDs, onside decisions, and 2-pt tries. Ted Thompson, call me.

mraynrand
01-18-2015, 10:00 PM
Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 8h8 hours ago
FWIW, Lombardi said big mistake in '60 champ game was going for TD 4th & 1 1st half. His rule of thumb: kick 1st half, go for it 2nd half

Argument ended! #AppealToAuthority

Shermy tried that early 4th and 1 and failed, and then bailed on the late 4th and one. Pure anecdotal confirmation. n=1

pbmax
01-18-2015, 10:02 PM
CD Angeli ‏@TundraVision 16m16 minutes ago
By the way, plenty of NFL players duck the media after a rough loss, including Packers. @Bostick11 stood up and faced it. Stand up guy.

Bretsky
01-18-2015, 10:03 PM
CD Angeli ‏@TundraVision 16m16 minutes ago
By the way, plenty of NFL players duck the media after a rough loss, including Packers. @Bostick11 stood up and faced it. Stand up guy.

OK.....let him back on the plane and then cut him !

Slocum....trick that guy into jumping onto a plane for the North Pole !!

woodbuck27
01-18-2015, 10:06 PM
Woodbuck, you cannot question the playcalling publicly after a loss. That just undermines confidence further. You do this with your season end post-mortem in house. Not in public. If you make changes, you talk about them in the Spring.

SOP.

He might have responded more honestly.

ie There is a lot I might take exception with myself after taking the time to really examine it all. Thanks.

His terse response certainly is inappropriate.

denverYooper
01-18-2015, 10:10 PM
Brian Burke ‏@Adv_NFL_Stats 31m31 minutes ago
GB-SEA game demonstrates the importance of not settling for FGs, 4th down TDs, onside decisions, and 2-pt tries. Ted Thompson, call me.

Brian's site went down and he was looking for "surge demand" solutions... at only 1 million hits for the *night*. He's probably looking for funding so he can move his heavy CMS-based solution to Heroku or some other demand-scaling platform.

pbmax
01-18-2015, 10:16 PM
Brian's site went down and he was looking for "surge demand" solutions... at only 1 million hits for the *night*. He's probably looking for funding so he can move his heavy CMS-based solution to Heroku or some other demand-scaling platform.

Host Gator ain't working for him.

pbmax
01-18-2015, 10:20 PM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 1m1 minute ago
Let's try the Worst Playoff Losses In #Packers History List again:
5. 2007 NFCCG
4. SBXXXII
3. "The Catch II" by T.O.
2. 4th-and-26
1. Today

groan

beveaux1
01-18-2015, 10:21 PM
You can blame yourself until you're blue in the face for every mistake but that doesn't make you right about where the blame lies. There isn't a coach in human history that could coach up a team of 5th grade girls to perform perfectly.

I agree that a change is overdue with the Special Teams coach, even though I'm completely in the dark about how much blame actually lies with Slocum. Shit ain't right? Blame the coach. That's pretty easy. Shit ain't right a lot? Probably more likely my stab-in-the-dark guess about the real effectiveness of the coach is more accurate.

It's the players, not the plays. I agree, Vince.

beveaux1
01-18-2015, 10:24 PM
5. 2007 NFCCG
4. SBXXXII
2. 4th-and-26
1. Today

groan

A full and absolute 3 minute collapse. It doesn't get any worse than that.

Joemailman
01-18-2015, 10:27 PM
5. 2007 NFCCG
4. SBXXXII
2. 4th-and-26
1. Today

groan

Don't forget 51-45 in 2009. Packers have a knack for these gut-wrenching playoff losses.

denverYooper
01-18-2015, 10:28 PM
Host Gator ain't working for him.

So much for unlimited bandwidth, as promised by their Business Plan.

He's outgrowing the Mom-Pop-and-Uncle-Rico Solutions. A million hits for a night is nothing to sneeze at but it's still relatively small potatoes by current web-scale standards.

I haven't been paying real close attention, but didn't he start offering a "realtime" analysis bit? Like team WPA based on the PBP feed from NFL.com?

Packgator
01-18-2015, 11:00 PM
Doesn't matter. It came down Bostick and Slocum and they failed.

Bostick didn't make the play but I don't blame him for the loss. The play that won this game for Seattle was the TD on the fake FG. You cannot allow that to happen in that situation. A fake is the one and only thing you are looking for on that play. That play turned everything around and gave the Seahawks hope.

woodbuck27
01-18-2015, 11:10 PM
Bostick didn't make the play but I don't blame him for the loss. The play that won this game for Seattle was the TD on the fake FG. You cannot allow that to happen in that situation. A fake is the one and only thing you are looking for on that play. That play turned everything around and gave the Seahawks hope.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/159178/photos-seattle-punter-jon-ryans-touchdown-pass

Photos: Seattle punter Jon Ryan's touchdown pass that turned the game

January, 18, 2015 6:02 PM ET

By: Dan Jung | ESPN.com

" Seattle Seahawks punter Jon Ryan's touchdown pass was the first by a punter in NFL postseason history. His third-quarter throw to tackle Garry Gilliam on a fake field goal put Seattle on the board. "

Smidgeon
01-18-2015, 11:13 PM
Don't forget 51-45 in 2009. Packers have a knack for these gut-wrenching playoff losses.

Don't remind me. TWO non calls of offensive PI on Fitzgerald vs Woodson that were both called defensive PI. And Finley was unstoppable. And the non-call facemask.

That was a game where the refs lost it for us. That one stuck with me for a while.

mraynrand
01-18-2015, 11:14 PM
Fake FGs are desperation. The play that changed the tide was the last INT, because the Packers turned off the boilers and the Seahawks kept playing.

mraynrand
01-18-2015, 11:15 PM
Don't remind me. TWO non calls of offensive PI on Fitzgerald vs Woodson that were both called defensive PI. And Finley was unstoppable. And the non-call facemask.

That was a game where the refs lost it for us. That one stuck with me for a while.

There was a critical missed offensive PI in this game too. Twill would have had another INT had he not been held.

Smidgeon
01-18-2015, 11:25 PM
There was a critical missed offensive PI in this game too. Twill would have had another INT had he not been held.

Yeah, I was talking about that one with my brother. I didn't see it live, but the replay was incredibly obvious. The only way the ref missed that is if it was completely shielded by the wide receiver.

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-19-2015, 05:17 AM
5. 2007 NFCCG
4. SBXXXII
2. 4th-and-26
1. Today

groan

So how many of these has MM been involved with? That has to be strikes against him. So don't fire the guy if you think he is getting the job done, but goddamn it, don't give him a raise or an lucrative extension. He is starting to remind me of Farve, just a big tease...

Bossman641
01-19-2015, 07:49 AM
As bad as it was that the Green Bay Packers got burned by the Seattle Seahawks' fake field goal in the third quarter of Sunday's NFC Championship Game overtime loss, what's worse is that they never even saw it coming.

Safety Sean Richardson, who allowed backup offensive lineman Garry Gilliam to get behind him and catch a 19-yard touchdown pass from holder/punter Jon Ryan, said he never heard anyone on the field or from the Packers' sideline give the call to be aware of a possible fake.

"We have an alert if we think that they're going to fake it," Richardson said after the game. "We have calls for that."

To Richardson's knowledge, there was no alert call made.

"We were expecting a kick," said Richardson, who led the Packers in special-teams snaps played (321) during the regular season.

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/17865/troubling-sign-that-the-packers-never-saw-fake-field-goal-coming

The onsides kick has to be Bostick's career in a nutshell, right? All offseason he was supposed to be the one to come in and grab the TE job by the horns and didn't. We've heard week after week how he isn't assignment sure enough to see offensive snaps. Then he blows off his responsibility to try to grab the ball himself.

mraynrand
01-19-2015, 07:53 AM
So how many of these has MM been involved with? That has to be strikes against him. So don't fire the guy if you think he is getting the job done, but goddamn it, don't give him a raise or an lucrative extension. He is starting to remind me of Farve, just a big tease...

well, if you make the playoffs every year and don't win all the Superbowls, you are going to be involved in some unpleasant season-ending playoff losses. I can't say I ever experienced an enjoyable playoff loss.

ThunderDan
01-19-2015, 08:40 AM

Tell that to CLE, DET, JAX and 18 other teams. If you don't get in you can't lose in the playoffs.

There was an interesting stat during the NE game last night. Belicheat has won 20 playoff games in his coaching career. That is more than 21 other teams have played in their entire team history.

pbmax
01-19-2015, 09:26 AM
The part that kills me is the utterly fantastic defensive performance for 55 minutes. I have never been as proud, nit even in 2009 or 2010. Low scoring was probably to be expected. But The Packers were knocking the stuffing out of them.

Tapped the brakes too early.

mraynrand
01-19-2015, 09:30 AM
The part that kills me is the utterly fantastic defensive performance for 55 minutes. I have never been as proud, nit even in 2009 or 2010. Low scoring was probably to be expected. But The Packers were knocking the stuffing out of them.

It's not just that, it's the stunning and complete reversal, from complete defensive domination to utter inability to stop anything. And Wilson going from throwing picks everywhere to dropping consecutive 35 yard booms, in the wind and rain, right into the bucket.

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-19-2015, 09:37 AM
Yup, and when I heard him say this has to be one of the best NFC Championship games ever, I wanted to tell him 'not from this side'.

Harlan Huckleby
01-19-2015, 09:46 AM

+1

Teamcheez1
01-19-2015, 09:48 AM

We allowed Seattle to make the greatest ever halftime comeback in a conference championship. No team had ever recovered from a 16 point deficit at halftime. I would say it was more than just tapping the brakes.

pbmax
01-19-2015, 09:54 AM
Needed more Starks.

Striker
01-19-2015, 11:15 AM
From MMQB -

Reserve linebacker Brad Jones was recklessly aggressive coming off the edge on film. He consistently darted hard to the inside in an effort to get the block, and often went to unnecessary lengths to do so. Against Dallas in their divisional game, he lined up on the left side three times and on the right once, and on one attempt he tried to leap over a blocker only to get stonewalled.

So with five minutes left in the third quarter and Seattle still trailing 16-0, Carroll gave Ryan the go-ahead to execute a fake specifically designed for this game. Ryan had two options:
1. Take the snap and roll out to Jones’ side with either Garry Gilliam (left side) or Luke Willson (right) as a receiving option. If the linebacker covers the receiver, Ryan should run. If not, throw it.

2. If Jones isn’t on the field, take a delay of game penalty and then kick the field goal.

Of course they scheme against Jones.

pbmax
01-19-2015, 01:55 PM
Morgan Burnett Doesn't Regret Sliding: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/19/morgan-burnett-doesnt-regret-sliding-after-interception/

https://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/morgan-burnett-intercepts-russell-wilson-nfc-championship.gif?w=1000

Bostick Getting Some Social Media Grief: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/19/brandon-bostick-the-whole-world-is-on-my-back-about-this-thing/

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/insidersblog/2015/01/19/packers-brandon-bostick-im-human-i-made-a-mistake/22001365/

Freak Out
01-19-2015, 02:05 PM
Needed more Starks.

This. Really sad not to see him used a bit more...even a little bit more...a teensy bit more.

Freak Out
01-19-2015, 02:06 PM
Morgan Burnett Doesn't Regret Sliding: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/19/morgan-burnett-doesnt-regret-sliding-after-interception/

https://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/morgan-burnett-intercepts-russell-wilson-nfc-championship.gif?w=1000

Bostick Getting Some Social Media Grief: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/19/brandon-bostick-the-whole-world-is-on-my-back-about-this-thing/

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/insidersblog/2015/01/19/packers-brandon-bostick-im-human-i-made-a-mistake/22001365/

Brutal. Huge return possible.

call_me_ishmael
01-19-2015, 03:09 PM
FUCK!

We had 'em. Damnit!

I would like to know why Clay was out when Richard Sherman is out there, clearly hurt, and the safety was ballin' with a separated shoulder. He came back - so it wasn't too bad of an injury.

George Cumby
01-19-2015, 03:39 PM
It's the lack of killer instinct that gets me. 55 minute of utter domination and then they quit. The defense had this game won. The offense, again, the offense failed to live up to their billing.

I hope the taste of defeat is bitter and stays in their mouths for the next year.

Eddie Lacy is soft. He needs to watch this game over and over again and see how Lynch shouldered his team and willed them to victory.

Joemailman
01-19-2015, 03:55 PM

I agree. Looks to me like HHCD was in a good position to seal any would-be tacklers to the inside, and he would have had Peppers running interference to the outside.

woodbuck27
01-19-2015, 03:56 PM

It appears that the left side of the field was wide open for a solid return and he had good blocking out front.

Morgan Burnett did what he felt was best...just slide to the ground doing his best Aaron Rodgers (100% healthy) impression.

it was certainly a surprize ... different. :???:

pbmax
01-19-2015, 04:31 PM
Peppers wasn't going to block, he was waving him down. By the time he saw Burnett not slowing down, he would have gone by.

Joemailman
01-19-2015, 05:02 PM
Peppers wasn't going to block, he was waving him down. By the time he saw Burnett not slowing down, he would have gone by.

I meant if Peppers hadn't waved him down but had immediately headed downfield to block.

Freak Out
01-19-2015, 05:22 PM
I meant if Peppers hadn't waved him down but had immediately headed downfield to block.

Warren fucking Sapp would have been looking to kill someone. Fuck Peppers and cut his ass as well.

Joemailman
01-19-2015, 05:50 PM
Warren fucking Sapp would have been looking to kill someone. Fuck Peppers and cut his ass as well.

It doesn't appear Peppers made himself available to the press. I'm guessing he knew what the questions would be. Too bad. He raised his game in the playoffs. I hope he's back if they can work out the money situation.

call_me_ishmael
01-19-2015, 11:18 PM
Julius will be back. He has made more money than he knows what to do with. He wants a super bowl. Expect him back at a team friendly two year deal. Same with Tramon Williams. While he hasn't made Peppers money, TWill made himself plenty of money. He'll be back too.

TWill looks pretty good to me. He isn't elite anymore but he is still a good starter and a solid leader. I have no problems with him hanging around for a few more years. He's only, what, 32 anyway?

(I could be wrong - but I perceive the guys that leave around 31+ have typically never been paid or aren't wanted back.)

Sactopackfan
01-19-2015, 11:40 PM
Brad Jones was the key on Seattle's Fake Field Goal

"Jones showed up on the left side, which meant undrafted rookie tackle Garry Gilliam would get the throw if necessary. Gilliam, a converted tight end out of Penn State, hadn’t caught a touchdown since high school. "I broke the huddle like, Please be on my side, please be on my side," Gilliam says. "And then [Jones] was."

Rutnstrut
01-20-2015, 12:08 AM
Brad Jones was the key on Seattle's Fake Field Goal

"Jones showed up on the left side, which meant undrafted rookie tackle Garry Gilliam would get the throw if necessary. Gilliam, a converted tight end out of Penn State, hadn’t caught a touchdown since high school. "I broke the huddle like, Please be on my side, please be on my side," Gilliam says. "And then [Jones] was."

Brad Jones is the shitty gift that keeps on giving. You seriously have to question the ability of any team GM that thinks Jones should be on the roster. The Packers deserved to lose, just for having a worthless asshole like Jones on the team.

Maxie the Taxi
01-20-2015, 05:12 AM

Right. Looks like he had Peppers AND HaHa as blockers.

Iron Mike
01-20-2015, 07:01 AM

OUCH!

They are who we thought they were.....and I let them off the hook:

http://cdn.ksk.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/gbhelb.gif

Bossman641
01-20-2015, 08:10 AM
If Bostick just takes out Matthews, Nelson doesn't have anyone within 2 yards of him and has a clean try at the ball.

pbmax
01-20-2015, 08:16 AM
If Bostick just takes out Matthews, Nelson doesn't have anyone within 2 yards of him and has a clean try at the ball.

Yep. I don't know why we can't blame Bostick as several have suggested we can't or shouldn't. He leads a list of people who were one play away from salting the game.

He isn't getting a plus grade on that play.

vince
01-20-2015, 08:18 AM
Yep. I don't know why we can't blame Bostick as several have suggested we can't or shouldn't. He leads a list of people who were one play away from salting the game.

He isn't getting a plus grade on that play.
I feel bad as hell for the guy. Unfortunately nothing can change what happened and ignoring or deflecting don't make it go away either.

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-20-2015, 08:25 AM
Actually, showing that video clip makes it even worse for me. Now my nightmares will be even more vivid.

Joemailman
01-20-2015, 08:25 AM
Bostick has 1 year left on his contract. Before this game, he had been a huge disappointment and was probably going to be released anyway. Now if he is released, it will appear he's being released because of his blunder at Seattle. The fact that he didn't shy away from the press shows he has some character. I just don't know if he has the mental discipline to play in the NFL.

pbmax
01-20-2015, 08:30 AM
Bostick has 1 year left on his contract. Before this game, he had been a huge disappointment and was probably going to be released anyway. Now if he is released, it will appear he's being released because of his blunder at Seattle. The fact that he didn't shy away from the press shows he has some character. I just don't know if he has the mental discipline to play in the NFL.

He is going to need a heck of an offseason program. Its clear his position coach didn't trust him in the offense. That ST play might be one reason why.

pbmax
01-20-2015, 08:31 AM
Twitter has roughly decided that McCarthy and Rodgers share the blame for the loss.

Odd that very few are blaming the defense. wist needs to get on Twitter.

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-20-2015, 08:33 AM
Twitter has roughly decided that McCarthy and Rodgers share the blame for the loss.

Odd that very few are blaming the defense. wist needs to get on Twitter.

Why Rodgers?

pbmax
01-20-2015, 08:39 AM
Why Rodgers?

Roughly this from Bob, which is making the rounds:

"Great players need to make great plays in conference title games, and Rodgers really didn't make any." @BobMcGinn

pbmax
01-20-2015, 08:40 AM
People in glass, bird-killing stadiums shouldn't throw the first stone.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B7wn0UGIEAEd4QA.png:large

ThunderDan
01-20-2015, 08:42 AM
Actually, showing that video clip makes it even worse for me. Now my nightmares will be even more vivid.

Yup, I just threw up a little in my mouth after rewatching that.

pbmax
01-20-2015, 08:48 AM
I thought I was back to normal. But then I saw a RTweet of an inspirational message from @JonGordon11 that was a mangled quote from Frost remixed into a Successories poster.

Spent five minutes composing vitriol before I realized I probably wasn't that mad at him.

Patler
01-20-2015, 08:54 AM
Roughly this from Bob, which is making the rounds:

"Great players need to make great plays in conference title games, and Rodgers really didn't make any." @BobMcGinn

Bob is wrong. The throws and his 12 yard run on the final drive were huge. Getting the tieing FG was no small thing with how quickly the game collapsed around him. It's too bad he didn't even get a chance in OT.

denverYooper
01-20-2015, 09:03 AM
Yup, I just threw up a little in my mouth after rewatching that.

I know that there were many plays that were there for the taking but I've come down to special teams being what we thought it was -- one step away from costing the team a game. they had 2 huge game-changing plays that just killed the team. They did force a fumble early but then they gave the game back late.

If they don't shake things up on the ST staff, I don't know if I can even watch this team any more (alright, so that's probably not true... I'd come crawling back next September).

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-20-2015, 09:06 AM
Bob is wrong. The throws and his 12 yard run on the final drive were huge. Getting the tieing FG was no small thing with how quickly the game collapsed around him. It's too bad he didn't even get a chance in OT.

Yeah, pretty lame from Bob. Rodgers did not really get a chance to shine after the Seahawks started coming back. His only chance came on the tying field goal drive which I thought was damn fine..

Patler
01-20-2015, 09:18 AM
I know that there were many plays that were there for the taking but I've come down to special teams being what we thought it was -- one step away from costing the team a game. they had 2 huge game-changing plays that just killed the team. They did force a fumble early but then they gave the game back late.

If they don't shake things up on the ST staff, I don't know if I can even watch this team any more (alright, so that's probably not true... I'd come crawling back next September).

It's interesting that the guy MM fired in last year's ST shake-up is now the ST Assistant for Seattle. I wonder how much he knew about what Slocum did with certain people (Jones) in certain situations, and how to exploit it.

woodbuck27
01-20-2015, 09:35 AM

Patler:

Aaron Rodgers wasn't at all himself for by far, most of this game. He didn't look like Aaron Rodgers. His QBR in the game will attest to that fact.

I agree he seemed different or had more fire late in the game; but for the most part he acted like he was out for a walk in the park.

What was wrong with Aaron Rodgers?

Joemailman
01-20-2015, 09:40 AM
Patler:

Aaron Rodgers wasn't at all himself for by far, most of this game. He didn't look like Aaron Rodgers. His QBR in the game will attest to that fact.

I agree he seemed different or had more fire late in the game; but for the most part he acted like he was out for a walk in the park.

What was wrong with Aaron Rodgers?

If he looked like he was out for a walk in the park, it's probably because he couldn't run. Seriously, the calf was a huge factor. It not only affected his throws, but it had impact on how Seattle played defense. They didn't have to worry about him taking off running.

Freak Out
01-20-2015, 11:28 AM
If he looked like he was out for a walk in the park, it's probably because he couldn't run. Seriously, the calf was a huge factor. It not only affected his throws, but it had impact on how Seattle played defense. They didn't have to worry about him taking off running.

This is something many forget about...you could see how he tried to compensate for it all game. When he took off and ran for the first down it was hard to watch....Lynn Dickey ran better than that. Well....maybe not. :)

call_me_ishmael
01-21-2015, 12:27 AM
Not quite sure what defines Banjo, but this is Jason Wilde's interview with Aaron.

http://cdn.stationcaster.com/stations/wauk/media/mpeg/01_20_15_Tuesdays_with_Aaron-1421789096.mp3

Patler
01-21-2015, 06:50 AM
This is something many forget about...you could see how he tried to compensate for it all game. When he took off and ran for the first down it was hard to watch....Lynn Dickey ran better than that. Well....maybe not. :)

Exactly. He never moved at more than a fast trot, and he never ran very far without having to hop and skip a couple times to control his balance. That's what happens when your strides are off, not synced with each other. He even did it when they were just trotting off the field. His movements were seldom crisp, sort of rolling starts, stops and changes in direction.

Iron Mike
01-22-2015, 07:53 AM
It's interesting that the guy MM fired in last year's ST shake-up is now the ST Assistant for Seattle. I wonder how much he knew about what Slocum did with certain people (Jones) in certain situations, and how to exploit it.

Can we also blame Slocum for not knowing the onsides-kick rules???

RULES OF ONSIDE KICKS
The NFL has a very specific set of rules governing onside kicks which make it hard for the kicking team to recover the ball. Every football player on the kicking team must be behind the kicker and may not move until the ball is kicked.

There may be no more than five players on each side of the ball.

The ball must travel at least ten yards OR be touched by the opposing team before the kicking team can recover it. If the ball is kicked out of play, the kicking team is penalized and must kick the ball again.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/16222_10152914776736598_1744891129831197913_n.jpg? oh=09418195fc4d64f5e4d6e59258483a2b&oe=55598341&__gda__=1432157192_1e1fdcfed869c77f0c2ba9da2475ee5 0

mraynrand
01-22-2015, 08:12 AM
So Slocum is now supposed to ref, too?*

Everything revealed following this game has been all tilted against the Packers. It's just unreal.

*is one of those guys the kicker? (edit, no, I see him now)

ThunderDan
01-22-2015, 08:16 AM
Can we also blame Slocum for not knowing the onsides-kick rules???

RULES OF ONSIDE KICKS
The NFL has a very specific set of rules governing onside kicks which make it hard for the kicking team to recover the ball. Every football player on the kicking team must be behind the kicker and may not move until the ball is kicked.

There may be no more than five players on each side of the ball.

The ball must travel at least ten yards OR be touched by the opposing team before the kicking team can recover it. If the ball is kicked out of play, the kicking team is penalized and must kick the ball again.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/16222_10152914776736598_1744891129831197913_n.jpg? oh=09418195fc4d64f5e4d6e59258483a2b&oe=55598341&__gda__=1432157192_1e1fdcfed869c77f0c2ba9da2475ee5 0

Honestly, I thought SEA onside attempt looked off but couldn't put a finger on it at the time.

ThunderDan
01-22-2015, 08:17 AM
So Slocum is now supposed to ref, too?*

Everything revealed following this game has been all tilted against the Packers. It's just unreal.

*is one of those guys the kicker? (edit, no, I see him now)
The kicker's head is right by the 40 yard line arrow.

Fosco33
01-22-2015, 08:45 AM
In addition to the Packer's Defense letting up 3 TDs in 11 plays and the Offense being conservative in 1st and end of 4th Q - we have the following:
- Missed offsides on Sherman INT (3 points) - regardless if following possession was INT...
- Dead ball missed call - regardless if they converted a very long 3rd down on the fake FG drive
- Missed illegal onside kick... this one purely sucks. For the Packers, for Bostick, for the NFL that has the deflated ball Patriots against the illegal onsite Seahawks.

Salt meet open wound...

Bossman641
01-22-2015, 08:48 AM
Are we sure of that onside rule? From the 2013 NFL rule book, couldn't find a 2014 book

FREE KICK FORMATION
Article 3
When the ball is kicked on a free kick down:
(a) After the ball has been made ready for play, all kicking team (Team A) players other than the kicker must be lined up
no more than five yards behind their restraining line; and
(b) All kicking team players must be inbounds and behind the ball when it is kicked, except:
(1) the holder of a placekick (3-23) may be beyond the line, and
(2) the kicker may be beyond the line, provided that his kicking foot is not beyond the line.
(c) At least four players of the kicking team must be on each side of the kicker. At least three players must be lined up
outside each inbounds line, one of whom must be outside the yard-line number.

mraynrand
01-22-2015, 08:54 AM
I couldn't find any evidence from the web that the onside kick was illegal. IMike, where did you get that?

Bossman641
01-22-2015, 08:58 AM
I think I found the site where he got that from, but the NFL book says otherwise, unless the rule was changed in 2014.

https://www.coachup.com/resources/football/the-onside-kick-in-the-nfl

Fosco33
01-22-2015, 08:58 AM
Are we sure of that onside rule? From the 2013 NFL rule book, couldn't find a 2014 book

FREE KICK FORMATION
Article 3
When the ball is kicked on a free kick down:
(a) After the ball has been made ready for play, all kicking team (Team A) players other than the kicker must be lined up
no more than five yards behind their restraining line; and
(b) All kicking team players must be inbounds and behind the ball when it is kicked, except:
(1) the holder of a placekick (3-23) may be beyond the line, and
(2) the kicker may be beyond the line, provided that his kicking foot is not beyond the line.
(c) At least four players of the kicking team must be on each side of the kicker. At least three players must be lined up
outside each inbounds line, one of whom must be outside the yard-line number.

You may be right.

If we trust Wiki...

Traditionally, the onside kick had its own formation, in which the other ten players of the kicking team would line up on one side (left or right) of the kicker, in an effort to get as many people as possible into one area of the field. This is still popular in high school football; however, the NCAA (and later the NFL) now require that at least four players line up on each side of the kicker. To combat this, some teams (including the Buffalo Bills, who pioneered this strategy[2]) developed a "cluster formation" in which all of the players line up behind and immediately next to the kicker in what is effectively a moving huddle. The NFL eventually banned this, too, with a 2009 rule change that states that "the kicking team cannot have more than five players bunched together"; the rule change has been considered a gratuitous targeting of Bills special teams coach Bobby April, as the ostensible reason for the ban (injury risk) had negligible evidence to support it.[2]

Fosco33
01-22-2015, 09:04 AM
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/9_Rule6_Free_Kicks.pdf

I think the kick was legal

woodbuck27
01-22-2015, 09:09 AM

For Pete's sake. That's your response !!?

I'm well aware of his injury and not being 100%. That much was obvious if you tuned into anything NFL one day a week since that injury. I'm in contrast certainly well informed on things NFL and Green Bay Packers.

When I post that he didn't look right. I'm referring to his expressions...his demeanour in the game. The fire...where was that 'FIRE" or obvious desire that a Champion must have to be a winner.

This is the NFL MVP we're discussing. This is the NFL MVP and certain Packer MVP playing in the NFC Championship game and it was obvious to me he had something missing in him that didn't assist him in his performance.

He looked great Vs Dallas didn't he?

So where did that go in the Seattle game?

denverYooper
01-22-2015, 11:21 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/injury-left-seahawks-richard-sherman-playing-with-just-one-arm-b99428198z1-288995771.html

Out of gas: Linebacker Clay Matthews was out of the game for part of the fourth quarter because of what he said were a couple of injury and fatigue issues.

Matthews could be seen on the sideline trying to loosen up with knee kicks during Seattle's drive to take the lead in the fourth quarter. He did return for the final drive in overtime.

"Mentally, emotionally, physically drained," Matthews said.

pbmax
01-22-2015, 03:34 PM
Paper Rule Book 1, Internet 0

Jason Wilde @jasonjwilde · 5h 5 hours ago
RT @DeanBlandino: Regarding #Seahawks onside kick. Rule states you must have at least 4 players on either side of ball. Formation was legal.

woodbuck27
01-22-2015, 04:05 PM
Paper Rule Book 1, Internet 0

Jason Wilde @jasonjwilde · 5h 5 hours ago
RT @DeanBlandino: Regarding #Seahawks onside kick. Rule states you must have at least 4 players on either side of ball. Formation was legal.

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/packers-seahawks-nfc-championship-game/2015/1/22/7871717/seahawks-packers-onside-kick-cheat-illegal-formation

No, the Seahawks Did Not Cheat on their Onside Kick Against the Packers

By: Evan "Tex" Western  @TexWestern on Jan 22 2015, 10:58a

From Article:

" It was legal, so save your breath. And besides, there were about a hundred other factors that contributed far more to the Packers losing the game than Seattle's alignment on the onside kick."

Joemailman
01-22-2015, 06:12 PM
For Pete's sake. That's your response !!?

I'm well aware of his injury and not being 100%. That much was obvious if you tuned into anything NFL one day a week since that injury. I'm in contrast certainly well informed on things NFL and Green Bay Packers.

When I post that he didn't look right. I'm referring to his expressions...his demeanour in the game. The fire...where was that 'FIRE" or obvious desire that a Champion must have to be a winner.

This is the NFL MVP we're discussing. This is the NFL MVP and certain Packer MVP playing in the NFC Championship game and it was obvious to me he had something missing in him that didn't assist him in his performance.

He looked great Vs Dallas didn't he?

So where did that go in the Seattle game?

I didn't see any lack of fire. The last time the Packers had the ball he drove them 50 yards in just over a minute to tie the game against the NFL's best defense. On one leg. Not sure what you mean by his demeanor. He probably wasn't talking on the field much since it's so loud at Seattle nobody can hear him anyway.

pbmax
01-22-2015, 06:18 PM
I didn't see any lack of fire. The last time the Packers had the ball he drove them 50 yards in just over a minute to tie the game against the NFL's best defense. On one leg. Not sure what you mean by his demeanor. He probably wasn't talking on the field much since it's so loud at Seattle nobody can hear him anyway.

Perhaps no Championship Belt was disappointing?

hoosier
01-22-2015, 07:43 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/injury-left-seahawks-richard-sherman-playing-with-just-one-arm-b99428198z1-288995771.html
Matthews could be seen on the sideline trying to loosen up with knee kicks during Seattle's drive to take the lead in the fourth quarter. He did return for the final drive in overtime.

WTF?????

Joemailman
01-22-2015, 07:52 PM
WTF?????

My thoughts exactly. If he couldn't run because of his hamstrings, that's one thing. But "Mentally, emotionally, physically drained,"? Who wasn't by the 4th quarter?

mission
01-22-2015, 08:07 PM
My thoughts exactly. If he couldn't run because of his hamstrings, that's one thing. But "Mentally, emotionally, physically drained,"? Who wasn't by the 4th quarter?

Not to mention you have Earl Thomas duct taped together out there and Sherman playing with one arm in legitimate pain.

Big difference there.

pbmax
01-22-2015, 08:52 PM
Not to mention you have Earl Thomas duct taped together out there and Sherman playing with one arm in legitimate pain.

Big difference there.

How about his own QB?

pbmax
01-22-2015, 08:55 PM
Out of gas: Linebacker Clay Matthews was out of the game for part of the fourth quarter because of what he said were a couple of injury and fatigue issues.

"Mentally, emotionally, physically drained," Matthews said.

Probably shouldn't get too worked up here because injury is mentioned and not explained and the quote looks like a partial reply.

Joemailman
01-22-2015, 11:47 PM
Probably shouldn't get too worked up here because injury is mentioned and not explained and the quote looks like a partial reply.

That reporting was a little deceiving. I watched the video of Matthews' comments after the game. The "mentally, emotionally, physically drained" comment was in response to a question about how he felt after losing the game. It wasn't a reason why he missed playing time in the 4th quarter.

denverYooper
01-23-2015, 09:24 AM
That reporting was a little deceiving. I watched the video of Matthews' comments after the game. The "mentally, emotionally, physically drained" comment was in response to a question about how he felt after losing the game. It wasn't a reason why he missed playing time in the 4th quarter.

Nice catch on the quote mining. I didn't see the postgame interviews. You often see a handful of quotes re-purposed ad nauseamand re-contextualized with different angles. The article I linked sure looks like a bit of a hit piece on CM3, leading with the Sherman/Thomas praise. There could be nothing to it at all and he thought his knee really went out. He was back in on the next series, so it could be much ado.

Prior to this, I did find it interesting that he wasn't made a captain for the playoffs, especially since he took a position change without any apparent public sniping (if he was at all upset by it). That could also be nothing more than Burnett and Peppers really stepping up their motivational speaking, though.

At any rate, I expect a more fully developed McGinn special to come out sometime in March questioning Clay's ability to truly be a leader of the defense as the Packers had likely envisioned when they paid him.

Patler
01-23-2015, 09:36 AM
At any rate, I expect a more fully developed McGinn special to come out sometime in March questioning Clay's ability to truly be a leader of the defense as the Packers had likely envisioned when they paid him.

...and I for one will wonder if it isn't at least somewhat true?

We blasted Cutler unmercifully for not fighting to stay in the playoff game against the Packers a few years back. Is it any different for Matthews?

More specifically, I wonder if there is a little prima dona in old Clay? We have seen him pull himself out lots of times. Certainly not the old school fight to stay on the field attitude we think of for linebackers.

Is he a thoroughbred who won't run if he is not at his best?

Is this just what should be expected from today's multi-milionaire athletes?

woodbuck27
01-23-2015, 11:55 AM

Study a recording and observe his eyes.

Observe his body language.

Observe his reactions after failed plays.

OBSERVE him !

Pugger
01-23-2015, 11:58 AM
...and I for one will wonder if it isn't at least somewhat true?

We blasted Cutler unmercifully for not fighting to stay in the playoff game against the Packers a few years back. Is it any different for Matthews?

More specifically, I wonder if there is a little prima dona in old Clay? We have seen him pull himself out lots of times. Certainly not the old school fight to stay on the field attitude we think of for linebackers.

Is he a thoroughbred who won't run if he is not at his best?

Is this just what should be expected from today's multi-milionaire athletes?

I saw something online recently that shows how many snaps each player is in games and Clay is in practically every defensive snap and I've seen him on ST plays too. He did return in OT. I'm not going to question CM3's desire to play.

Pugger
01-23-2015, 12:00 PM

OBSERVE him !

You do know he was in pain most of the time when he was playing these past few weeks, right?

pbmax
01-23-2015, 01:31 PM
Matthews has a WAY more active motor than Peppers and Burnett. I have no problem with his effort on the field. If the NFL had tracking like soccer, he would run more than all but the CBs or deep safety.

If he was a thoroughbred, he wouldn't have come back last year in a club and then argued to have the club reduced to a cast, increasing his chance of re-breaking his thumb.

He accepted the move with the barest hint of doubt and he played it well. He's been remarkable.

mraynrand
01-23-2015, 01:43 PM

OBSERVE him !

I have observed Rodgers for years now. Great player. HOF QB. Plays hurt. One of the most, if not the most accurate QBs ever. When he's out, the Packers are a .500 team at best. I don't give a shit what some deranged fan thinks of his 'body language.'

Freak Out
01-23-2015, 01:47 PM
lol.

pbmax
01-23-2015, 01:54 PM
Bill Michaels on the radio today hit the trifecta of things we have debunked or confirmed here:

1. He heard from a listener that Matthews was out of the game because he was "mentally exhausted".

2. He caught wind of the Packers being 32nd in the Dallas Morning News survey of Special Teams (but he flubbed the punting evaluation when he excoriated Masthay for his inside the 20 punting)

3. Brought back soft and small as the reason they lost to the Seahawks. Packers got smacked on the chin and fell apart he said. Again. Only when asked to explain how that squared with the first 56 minutes, he claimed it was evident in the Seattle secondary handling the Packer receivers.

mraynrand
01-23-2015, 01:59 PM
It's no wonder players in general hate fans and sports talk show hosts. Did Michaels say anything about 'body language interpretations' or was he going to toss chicken bones to figure out Rodgers' mental state?

mraynrand
01-23-2015, 02:02 PM
Did Big Bill Michaels say anything about 'body language' in his highly scientific analysis of Rodgers' state of mind, or was he preparing to toss chicken bones to figure it all out?

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-23-2015, 02:05 PM
Did Big Bill Michaels say anything about 'body language' in his highly scientific analysis of Rodgers' state of mind, or was he preparing to toss chicken bones to figure it all out?

So I liked your avatar at 1st, star trek always cool, but now it looks like he is trying really hard to poop...

mraynrand
01-23-2015, 02:11 PM
So I liked your avatar at 1st, star trek always cool, but now it looks like he is trying really hard to poop...

You'd be constipated too, if you'd just beamed your entire crew down to a planet that was sliced apart by beams of pure antiproton. Absolutely pure.

Smidgeon
01-23-2015, 02:18 PM
I have observed Rodgers for years now. Great player. HOF QB. Plays hurt. One of the most, if not the most accurate QBs ever. When he's out, the Packers are a .500 team at best. I don't give a shit what some deranged fan thinks of his 'body language.'

Consider this virtual rep.