PDA

View Full Version : Time for some serious talk about Packer coaches

Harlan Huckleby
01-18-2015, 09:14 PM
Lets leave aside the bickering and childish after-loss calling for heads. That's bitter fan crap.

What is the new strategic direction for the Green Bay Packers franchise?
Serious responses only, please

mraynrand
01-18-2015, 09:15 PM
Win more games

domey
01-18-2015, 09:21 PM
I think the leadership needs to look at themselves and ask themselves where they can improve. That will the only way they can improve. Not counting which players will stay and go with free agency. This team is talented, especially on offense. But the coaching has to improve.

pbmax
01-18-2015, 09:25 PM
I'd advise forming a committee to consider the wisdom of soliciting input from third parties; new coaching candidates, fans and sportswriters.

Harlan Huckleby
01-18-2015, 09:26 PM
Capital idea, PB.

vince
01-18-2015, 09:28 PM
I think the leadership needs to look at themselves and ask themselves where they can improve. That will the only way they can improve. Not counting which players will stay and go with free agency. This team is talented, especially on offense. But the coaching has to improve.That's built into their formal annual post-season review process with each coach individually, as groups, each player individually and as position groups. McCarthy is vigilant about self-analysis by and from every player and coach every offseason.

domey
01-18-2015, 09:38 PM
Yes, he is vigilant - but does he really believe he would not change how he called this game? Does he think it was just that onside kick that lost this game and therefore everything else is fine, so he just needs to stay the course? Without complete truth in self-analysis, it does not work. Only he knows the answer to that.

King Friday
01-18-2015, 09:44 PM
I think we need to move to a system where coaches have to challenge each other in cage matches in order to win their jobs. If Dom Capers can suplex McCarthy for the win, then he earns the right to coach another year.

smuggler
01-18-2015, 09:50 PM
I don't think there is any reason Slocum should stay. Hands team fail and a fake FG touchdown pretty much spell his death sentence.

Harlan Huckleby
01-18-2015, 09:53 PM
I think we need to move to a system where coaches have to challenge each other in cage matches in order to win their jobs.

This is EXACTLY the sort of out-of-the-box thinking I was hoping for. We need to emphasize our core competencies - controlled aggression - and leverage best-of-breed management strengths.

domey
01-18-2015, 09:55 PM
It is not just about this game with Slocum, the STs have had problems for years. It just keeps happening over and over.

pbmax
01-18-2015, 09:57 PM
It is not just about this game with Slocum, the STs have had problems for years. It just keeps happening over and over.

Everyone agrees on Slocum.

King Friday
01-18-2015, 09:58 PM

Except for McCarthy, at least up to this point.

Bretsky
01-18-2015, 10:02 PM

Except MM

NFL Network: I hear guys over and over calling in to gripe about Slocum consistently and Dom occasionally

Are fans the only one seeing it ?

pbmax
01-18-2015, 10:08 PM
Except for McCarthy, at least up to this point.

Except MM

NFL Network: I hear guys over and over calling in to gripe about Slocum consistently and Dom occasionally

Are fans the only one seeing it ?

Touché

Smidgeon
01-18-2015, 10:58 PM
Yes, he is vigilant - but does he really believe he would not change how he called this game? Does he think it was just that onside kick that lost this game and therefore everything else is fine, so he just needs to stay the course? Without complete truth in self-analysis, it does not work. Only he knows the answer to that.

Do you really believe he's going to say anything different at the post-game conference? M3 is about steady-as-she-goes as it gets. Even if he believes differently or is second guessing himself, he's not going to say jack about that to the media. He'll keep it behind closed doors and make improvements AFTER he watches the game on tape. To expect he's telling you everything he's thinking means that you don't pay attention to the way he operates.

ThunderDan
01-19-2015, 09:06 AM
Do you really believe he's going to say anything different at the post-game conference? M3 is about steady-as-she-goes as it gets. Even if he believes differently or is second guessing himself, he's not going to say jack about that to the media. He'll keep it behind closed doors and make improvements AFTER he watches the game on tape. To expect he's telling you everything he's thinking means that you don't pay attention to the way he operates.

Exactly, after losing a big pot in poker you don't turn you cards face up and say how you should have played the hand differently. You play the hand over in your head and decide what you are going to do differently next time to yourself to not tip the other players off.