PDA

View Full Version : What's Bulaga Gonna Make Next Year, and With Who?

vince
01-20-2015, 08:42 AM
Bulaga had a very good, and healthy, year. I'd be a lot more concerned with the prospects of Barclay and/or Tretter pass protecting for Rodgers on the right side. They'd be serviceable but in my opinion a significant downgrade.

Can the Packers re-sign Bulaga and at what price or will some team make an offer that Teddy won't be wiling to match? Or do his injury concerns mean we should just let him walk anyway?

I think he stays for $7 mil. a year.

Guiness
01-20-2015, 09:08 AM
I really have no idea with this one, how much interest he'll have on the open market. He played very well in a contract year, but missed time due to injury, again.

Patler
01-20-2015, 09:12 AM
Bulaga had a very good, and healthy, year.

Therein lies the dilemma. We think Bulaga had a healthy year when he missed one game entirely, 3 quarters of a second game and the 4th quarter of a third. He seems healthy to us because he didn't finish on IR.

I really want him back, but we better be sure to have quality in his backup.

Joemailman
01-20-2015, 09:16 AM
Bulaga had a very good, and healthy, year. I'd be a lot more concerned with the prospects of Barclay and/or Tretter pass protecting for Rodgers on the right side. They'd be serviceable but in my opinion a significant downgrade.

Can the Packers re-sign Bulaga and at what price or will some team make an offer that Teddy won't be wiling to match? Or do his injury concerns mean we should just let him walk anyway?

I think he stays for $7 mil. a year.

I think that's about right. Bulaga is one of the best RT's in the NFL. When TT brings in a player who turns out to be good, that player always gets a second contract. They sometimes don't get a third, but they always get a second. The top paid RT right now has a contract of 7 mil per year. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/right-tackle/ Bulaga will sign a 5 year deal with the Packers between 30-35 million.

Bossman641
01-20-2015, 09:18 AM
I'd love to have him back so that the line finally gets a chance to grow together. Not to mention we'd finally have a little depth with Barclay being the utility guy. It will be interesting to see where they pencil in Tretter. Will they have him as the backup LG/C/RG?

Patler
01-20-2015, 09:21 AM
I'd love to have him back so that the line finally gets a chance to grow together. Not to mention we'd finally have a little depth with Barclay being the utility guy. It will be interesting to see where they pencil in Tretter. Will they have him as the backup LG/C/RG?

Don't discount the possibility of Tretter pushing Linsley at center.

Joemailman
01-20-2015, 09:30 AM
Don't discount the possibility of Tretter pushing Linsley at center.

I think there's one reason that won't happen. Tretter hasn't shown he can stay healthy. Linsley didn't miss a snap this year. The Packers will value that. Also, Rodgers could have some pull here, and he'd like to have some continuity at Center.

Patler
01-20-2015, 11:25 AM
I think there's one reason that won't happen. Tretter hasn't shown he can stay healthy. Linsley didn't miss a snap this year. The Packers will value that. Also, Rodgers could have some pull here, and he'd like to have some continuity at Center.

Tretter has had two injuries, just happened to involve bone breaks requiring lengthy healing times. That doesn't concern me, ....yet.

I think Rodgers will be fine with whoever the better player is, even if it means adapting to a new starter. His pull, if he has any, didn't do much for Wells or EDS, both of whom he lobbied for publicly.

I might be totally off base, but I am intrigued by what I read about Tretter in the preseason. But, it is comforting to know that Linsley is the baseline from which they will work. It will be OK for Tretter to flop! :)

Joemailman
01-20-2015, 11:29 AM
I'm intrigued by Tretter too. However, his versatility makes him a better choice as the top backup than Linsley. The Packers aren't always going to be as healthy on the OL as they were this year. Tretter will play at some point.

Freak Out
01-20-2015, 11:36 AM
It sure would be nice to keep these guys together for a few more years.

denverYooper
01-20-2015, 11:39 AM
Please, not another Spitz/Wells situation. Keep Linsley at Center.

pbmax
01-20-2015, 11:55 AM
Bob is cueing up the disrespected column as we speak.

Wait, is it cue in this case or queue?

Smidgeon
01-20-2015, 12:14 PM
Bob is cueing up the disrespected column as we speak.

Wait, is it cue in this case or queue?

Well, it is his cue to queue up the disrespected article...

pbmax
01-20-2015, 01:44 PM
Well, it is his cue to queue up the disrespected article...

Que?

Guiness
01-20-2015, 01:57 PM
Que?

http://static.sfdict.com/staticrep/dictaudio/Q00/Q0034100.mp3

call_me_ishmael
01-20-2015, 04:08 PM
What did Tauscher make in his latter years? Bulaga should be paid about that plus inflation. He is good, not great, and injury prone. I think his rich injury history will scare some peeps from over paying him.

I think Tretter becomes the utility player and is the RT is Bulaga leaves. I also think we draft another OL around round 4.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-20-2015, 04:11 PM
We should have won the superbowl this year...so heart breaking. Chances like that don't come around every year, but I guess talking about the future helps to forget about the past. So...

They are projecting that we have about 30 million in Cap next year. For the exception of only a few players..Cobb, Daniels, and Hayward...I don't see any really important players coming up for big contracts since the 2011/2012 draft classes are turning out so bad. Is this the year you go for another Peppers signing?

Must re-signs: Bulaga, Cobb, and Kuhn. The rest can go and they can take Hawk and Brad Jones with them.

I would strongly be in the favor of going after Justin Houston. Break the bank if you have to. Hayward and Daniels look to be the only really important players coming up due next season. I say load up for a strong two year run before Rodgers gets up their in age. If Clay is willing keep him in the middle and keep developing Barrington. Target a stud Mlb if ones available also. Add Houston, give Peppers another year, and only spend significant money on Cobb and Bulaga. Then focus on defense in the draft taking best player available each round. We really need another stud corner and stud Mlb.

call_me_ishmael
01-20-2015, 04:19 PM
I don't think Casey Hayward is that good of a player. Between you and I, I'd rather have House or Hyde :)

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-20-2015, 04:32 PM
I don't know, when he's playing and healthy he looks pretty good. I don't think you can ask for a better slot corner IMO. House would play outside with Shields and Hayward and Hyde would play the slot. I just don't want to waste money anymore on average talent. Let those players walk and target solid Free agents. Look at the difference Peppers made. Sign your really good players and sign a stud free agent. This would be a good year to be aggressive acquiring talent. I see Williams and House as a waste of dollars.

HarveyWallbangers
01-20-2015, 08:39 PM
I wouldn't go much over $5M/year + games played incentives to be honest--unless it was a shorter term deal.

King Friday
01-20-2015, 10:02 PM
Sorry Harv...you ain't keeping Bulaga at $5M/year. He's worth significantly more than that, even with the injury history. For starters, there aren't a ton of RTs available this year...Bulaga is certainly one of the top 2 or 3 options. With the cap going up steadily over the near future, players are going to demand more than the current market price...and with good reason. The current market price would probably be over $5M per year for Bulaga already.

I think the key for Green Bay is whether or not Bulaga is going to be thinking he needs to get a huge deal now...because his injury history suggests rolling the dice to get another chance at free agency in 4 years might not be wise. If he doesn't have the injury history, he's probably fine to take a 4 year deal and know he'll have a strong chance at another big payday before his play declines.

To me, he's worth $6M per year on the open market...so we are going to have to pay that to keep him. I'm guessing he winds up getting $26-$28M over 4 years...$6M guaranteed. With Green Bay likely having over $30M in cap room available, why would you let him walk when it is only eating up just over 20% of your cash wad? That would be incredibly stupid when you have a franchise QB to protect.

woodbuck27
02-16-2015, 06:45 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2363922-demonstrating-the-value-of-randall-cobb-and-bryan-bulaga-to-packers

Demonstrating the Value of Randall Cobb and Bryan Bulaga to Packers

By: Zach Kruse , NFC North Lead Writer

Feb 13, 2015

Comment woodbuck27:

This article discusses both Bryan Bulaga and Randall Cobb in terms of their value to the Packers offense. This thread was getting buried under the weight of so much else so I decided to get it to the front page.

smuggler
02-16-2015, 06:58 AM
I think losing either Hayward or Daniels is easy to recover from. As for Tretter, he should compete at center and if he's better, you have to start him over Linsley. Barclay would probably be the backup at RT. If Lang or Sitton go down, you move Tretter over and insert Linsleyat center. This idea that you keep one of your best five linemen on the bench is silly.

woodbuck27
02-16-2015, 07:27 AM
I think losing either Hayward or Daniels is easy to recover from. As for Tretter, he should compete at center and if he's better, you have to start him over Linsley. Barclay would probably be the backup at RT. If Lang or Sitton go down, you move Tretter over and insert Linsleyat center. This idea that you keep one of your best five linemen on the bench is silly.

Are you OK with Bryan Bulaga walking?

Pugger
02-16-2015, 08:41 AM
The question will be is Ted willing to pay Bulaga $6M? What did he make in 2014? I really hope we can keep this O line together. If we can we have the makings of one of the top units in the league.

woodbuck27
02-16-2015, 08:51 AM
The question will be is Ted willing to pay Bulaga $6M? What did he make in 2014? I really hope we can keep this O line together. If we can we have the makings of one of the top units in the league.

His CAP hit in 2014 was $3.829 M$.

See - http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/cap/2014/

mraynrand
02-16-2015, 09:02 AM
As for Tretter, he should compete at center and if he's better, you have to start him over Linsley. Barclay would probably be the backup at RT. If Lang or Sitton go down, you move Tretter over and insert Linsleyat center. This idea that you keep one of your best five linemen on the bench is silly.

That all depends on Tretter being better than Lindsley at center. Because Lindsley is so good, it gives them some options. The whole Bulaga thing hinges on what they think of Tretter at tackle I think. Although I'm guessing they think he can play RT, I don't think they are willing to roll the dice on that one. If they do let Bulaga walk, it probably means they are OK with Tretter at tackle.

mraynrand
02-16-2015, 09:05 AM
I don't think Casey Hayward is that good of a player. Between you and I, I'd rather have House or Hyde :)

Hayward and House are two different d-backs. House can play with the fast receivers on the outside, Hayward cannot. Hayward is more dynamic than Hyde, but Hyde is dependable, if lacking in high end speed and quickness (but is Hayward really any quicker or faster?). Hayward seems to have built a rep for having a knack being around the ball. Q is whether he is really that instinctually better than Hyde. If not, you don't need to pay him, but it will leave you a little thin at d-back (overall) if Twill walks too.

Joemailman
02-16-2015, 09:18 AM
That all depends on Tretter being better than Lindsley at center. Because Lindsley is so good, it gives them some options. The whole Bulaga thing hinges on what they think of Tretter at tackle I think. Although I'm guessing they think he can play RT, I don't think they are willing to roll the dice on that one. If they do let Bulaga walk, it probably means they are OK with Tretter at tackle.

I suspect TT is willing to make Bulaga one of the top paid RT's in the NFL. That would be somewhere in the 6-7 million range. The question is whether some team out there is willing to pay Bulaga what the top LT's get. That would be in the 10 million range, and TT won't go there.

smuggler
02-16-2015, 11:07 AM

This is absolutely true. But Joemailman had suggested he was fine with leaving Tretter off the field, regardless.