PDA

View Full Version : Next year

Tony Oday
01-20-2015, 02:15 PM
What do we need to win the game besides a healthy AR :)

Cobb re-signed would be good.

Bulaga re-signed

Draft WR, ILB and a Run Stuffing DT and DE.

Everything else seems ready for next season.

Really tried that reverse mojo last game and it didn't work...damn it!

Harlan Huckleby
01-20-2015, 02:35 PM
Coast. I'm serious, the talent needs very small modifications. Lessons need to be learned from Seattle, who showed heart of champion.

wist43
01-20-2015, 02:41 PM
The problem in the NFCC was Stubby and dunderdummy... they'll both be back.

We had a good lead, we had the game won - and they choked it away.

And it's not like we haven't seen this before - sometimes they get away with it, but their nature is to go conservative. That isn't going to change - tough to win championships like that. We got lucky in 2010.

hoosier
01-20-2015, 02:46 PM
1. Re-sign Cobb, Bulaga, and whoever else is expiring and isn't expendable.

2. Find a quality starter at one of the inside linebacker positions. Sign a real FA if necessary, but get someone who can cover TEs without committing killer penalties (Jones) or can run the defense while occasionally making a big play. Of course, then we will all probably be bitching about how the new guy isn't as assignment-sure as Hawk.

3. Draft a WR in the second round = 90% they'll have Nelson's or Cobb's replacement when they need it in a few years.

4. Search through scrap heaps and undrafted files for the next Antonio Gates.

Patler
01-20-2015, 02:49 PM
If they sign Cobb and Bulaga, needs are not great on offense. R. Rodgers needs to make a significant step forward to become at least a consistent presence. Adams will make a step up, and I think they will find a decent #4 among those they have. A meaningful #3 RB who can return kicks would be nice, but you might not need to use a draft pick for that. Take an OL and/or TE in the middle rounds, a 6th or 7th round freak at WR. Use the rest on defense.

On defense, take the best player regardless of position, and it should be a help.

Oh, ........ and work with Janus to be the primary return guy. :)

Tony Oday
01-20-2015, 02:59 PM
Oh and CUT BRAD JONES!!!!

Fritz
01-20-2015, 03:13 PM
Oh and CUT BRAD JONES!!!!

And Brandon Bostick. Or at least cut off his hands, as they appear to be useless.

LEWCWA
01-20-2015, 03:14 PM
This is the best team in the NFL right now....They dismantled a good Eagle team, totally outplayed both super bowl teams (red zone problems made scores closer than they should have been). I see a team that dominated at times like the 96 team....They have a bright future, if they can let Sunday's collapse go....

hoosier
01-20-2015, 03:36 PM
This is the best team in the NFL right now....They dismantled a good Eagle team, totally outplayed both super bowl teams (red zone problems made scores closer than they should have been). I see a team that dominated at times like the 96 team....They have a bright future, if they can let Sunday's collapse go....

Don't say that. You may well be right (I think you are), but if they are the best team this year then we know for sure that they will find a way to take a step down next year. Ron Wolf has forever defined their destiny to be that.

Freak Out
01-20-2015, 03:39 PM
This team blew it on the road at Buffalo and Seattle this year....that's not the best team in the NFL. When they stop doing those things they will be.

pbmax
01-20-2015, 03:44 PM
This team blew it on the road at Buffalo and Seattle this year....that's not the best team in the NFL. When they stop doing those things they will be.

That is one weird thing about this year. McCarthy's teams are normally very good on the road. Pass pro hurt early.

Patler
01-20-2015, 03:48 PM
Does GB win the game if it is in GB this year?

Did they lose the Super Bowl in Buffalo?

Freak Out
01-20-2015, 03:52 PM

I think GB wins if they play at home. They were a much different team at home this year. Even with Rodgers bum leg.

Smidgeon
01-20-2015, 03:53 PM
Don't say that. You may well be right (I think you are), but if they are the best team this year then we know for sure that they will find a way to take a step down next year. Ron Wolf has forever defined their destiny to be that.

Except for the Ron Wolf thing, this seems to be pretty accurate:

Ascending in 2010 (though we won the SB), dominant in 2011 but the paper defense caught up.

Everything looks good, but I worry (maybe inaccurately) that this was our ascension year. BUT, to be fair, LBs look to be our oldest team and Hawk and Jones will be gone, leaving the oldest member one of the best (Peppers). Once they are replaced, only Tramontana and Peppers will have to be replaced sooner rather than later. No one else on the team (*coughKuhncough*) is old enough that their career would be shortened by age instead of someone else paying them/someone younger beating them out.

Which presumably means the window is open for several years. And that's after paying the QB and star defender the big bucks. Let's see other teams try that.

Also, I didn't realize this until today, but except for Hawk, Harrell, and Raji--three players who didn't really contribute this year--the Packers haven't had a pick higher than #20 overall since "Too Small". And yet they remain one of the best teams in the league year after year.

If that doesn't speak to the success of the Packers front office (*coughFalconsandtwotimeExecutiveoftheYearwinnerDi mitroffcough*), I don't know what does.

Time to restock the LBs and wreak havoc next year.

Bossman641
01-20-2015, 03:56 PM
That is one weird thing about this year. McCarthy's teams are normally very good on the road. Pass pro hurt early.

I think it had as much to do with the lack of receiving targets as pass protection. Only Nelson and Cobb were consistent game in game out. Development from Adams/Rodgers and turning 2 targets into 4 would be huge. Rodgers caught some balls down the seam in the back half of the year but it was from teams ignoring him as much as anything else. Maybe he can become the safety blanket in the middle of the field.

Harlan Huckleby
01-20-2015, 03:58 PM

I think so, to the extent you can point to any single event. They had 15 lost opportunities, but Buffalo was biggie.

call_me_ishmael
01-20-2015, 04:12 PM
I expect to see the key players resigned. I expect to see JP back with a new deal. I expect to see House back for sure. House is the future. He is going to be a pretty good player IMO. I don't see them letting TWill walk away because their depth at corner has proven valuable. He will take a reasonable short term deal.

I expect to see them to keep Clay at MLB on rushing downs. He has already made his money. Look at Brian Cushing and how productive he is. That's the vision.

I expect to see them cut Jones and Hawk. I think they will draft a speedy MLB. Possibly the big guy from Mississippi State. I would like to see a guy closer to a safety brought in - someone like Thomas Davis. Maybe a big, instinctive but 4.6 speed safety and convert him.

Bossman641
01-20-2015, 04:20 PM
Assuming Cobb and Bulaga are signed, the offense is just about set with the exception of adding the obligatory 4th/5th round OL.
I actually think they will keep Tramon on a short term deal over House due to the fact House can't stay healthy and a team will probably throw a big deal at him.
Draft/FA should bring MLB's, CB's, and DL.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-20-2015, 04:21 PM
House is trash. Brad Jones is trash. Tramon Williams has lost a step. Hawk has lost 5 steps. I don't want any of those guys back.

Shields, Hayward, and Hyde are the future at corner. Add depth through the draft and hopefully hit on another player.

Go after Justin Houston if he's available. BREAK THE BANK on him, we need another ELITE player.

Definitely bring back Bulaga, Cobb, and Kuhn. Probably Guion too. Don't care if everyone else walks. I hope Hawk, Jones, and Bostick are cut.

denverYooper
01-20-2015, 04:22 PM
I expect to see the key players resigned. I expect to see JP back with a new deal. I expect to see House back for sure. House is the future. He is going to be a pretty good player IMO. I don't see them letting TWill walk away because their depth at corner has proven valuable. He will take a reasonable short term deal.

I expect to see them to keep Clay at MLB on rushing downs. He has already made his money. Look at Brian Cushing and how productive he is. That's the vision.

I expect to see them cut Jones and Hawk. I think they will draft a speedy MLB. Possibly the big guy from Mississippi State. I would like to see a guy closer to a safety brought in - someone like Thomas Davis. Maybe a big, instinctive but 4.6 speed safety and convert him.

Clay is an interesting piece here. Will he be content to continue playing at ILB if they can't acquire a good player there? He was productive from that spot and I expect they would like him to do whatever they need from him. Some weird things happened with him down the stretch, though -- not getting elected playoff captain and vague comments about why he came out of the NFCC game. I get the sense that there are some other issues going on with him and I can't put a finger on what those are. Is he discontent with the move behind closed doors? Do they feel he's not a leader who's 100% all in all the time?

Pugger
01-20-2015, 04:24 PM

Yes.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-20-2015, 04:26 PM
If you can add I stud like Houston at OLB, who the hell played better than Clay Matthews the last 8 weeks of the year at Mlb?? What like 9 sacks since week 8 including playoffs. What other MLB is capable of doing that? Houston, Peppers, Neal, Perry outside. Clay/Barrington/draft pick inside. Rodgers turns 32 next December, this is a good time to focus on short term needs. As you saw this year with Manning..father time is not kind to everyone.

Bossman641
01-20-2015, 04:31 PM
Chiefs will franchise Houston if they can't work out a long term deal

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-20-2015, 04:37 PM
Chiefs will franchise Houston if they can't work out a long term deal

Probably right. If so, I'd target David Harris from the Jets. Move Clay back outside in that case.

pbmax
01-20-2015, 05:32 PM
Rodgers today again insisted that Hawk was not healthy at the end of the year with multiple ailments.

No word on Matthews.

Tony Oday
01-23-2015, 09:19 AM
Hawk, love the guy but he is done. Time to move on.

woodbuck27
01-23-2015, 12:32 PM
I think it had as much to do with the lack of receiving targets as pass protection. Only Nelson and Cobb were consistent game in game out. Development from Adams/Rodgers and turning 2 targets into 4 would be huge. Rodgers caught some balls down the seam in the back half of the year but it was from teams ignoring him as much as anything else. Maybe he can become the safety blanket in the middle of the field.

I expect TT to make a push for a Super bowl win next season. It's now the time to piss or get off the pot.

No more losing or piddle paddle excuses for losing. It's all about what's necessary to win and nothing else cuts it.

** The Packers need to win more on the road.

** I liked what I saw over the season in Davante Adams and Richard Rodgers. Will they progress? See Jarrett Boykin. Also it's important to share the glory. Mike McCarthy has a tendency to call plays based on his idea of target goals. He needs to call plays that always serves the best opportunity for wins.

** We have one TE and that's Richard Rodgers. Clean house on the rest. Carrying deadwood at TE for ST assignment?

Get another 'difference maker' TE !

** We need beef in the middle of the DL ( I've a bad feeling about retaining BJ Raji). We need an explosive DE.

** We need two upgrades ay LBer (maybe 3 ... Will Peppers deliver in 2015?). Most here assume that Hawk and brad Jones are done.

Is Ted Thompson in your camp?

We'll determine in this off season just what TT really is ! That failure in Seattle 'rang his bell' RE: any member of Packer Nation wanting to see another Super Bowl while Aaron Rodgers realistically has the ability to lead.

** We need Aaron Rodgers to be 100% in the playoffs and the Packer OL capable to support him.

** TT has to make some smart moves in terms of the Packer Secondary.

Tramone Williams will be older. Sam Shields didn't progress. Morgan Burnett balanced that for our Secondary with an outstanding bounce back season. Ha Ha Clinton Dix was a good player overall as a Rookie. I noticed Vs Seattle that his tackling technique improved.

Cheesehead Craig
01-23-2015, 12:55 PM
What do we need to win the game besides a healthy AR :)

Cobb re-signed would be good.

Bulaga re-signed

Draft WR, ILB and a Run Stuffing DT and DE.

Everything else seems ready for next season.

Really tried that reverse mojo last game and it didn't work...damn it!

Tony Oday for GM!

I'm hoping that Kendricks falls to GB in round 1. I've heard good things about that kid and he would be a big upgrade at ILB. Of course, red would be an upgrade at ILB.

mraynrand
01-23-2015, 02:16 PM
No word on Matthews.

Just rely on body language to figure it out. Or analyze some pig intestines.

Cheesehead Craig
01-23-2015, 02:43 PM
Just rely on body language to figure it out. Or analyze some pig intestines.

Or just go off of what LeRoy Butler has to say. Whatever it is.

Joemailman
01-23-2015, 02:51 PM
Tony Oday for GM!

I'm hoping that Kendricks falls to GB in round 1. I've heard good things about that kid and he would be a big upgrade at ILB. Of course, red would be an upgrade at ILB.

Probably would be there in Round 1. Right now he's rated in an area that could make him a reach in Round 1, but have him unavailable when the Packers pick in Round 2.

Bossman641
01-23-2015, 03:24 PM
I expect TT to make a push for a Super bowl win next season. It's now the time to piss or get off the pot.

** I liked what I saw over the season in Davante Adams and Richard Rodgers. Will they progress? See Jarrett Boykin. Also it's important to share the glory. Mike McCarthy has a tendency to call plays based on his idea of target goals. He needs to call plays that always serves the best opportunity for wins.

** We have one TE and that's Richard Rodgers. Clean house on the rest. Carrying deadwood at TE for ST assignment?

** We need beef in the middle of the DL ( I've a bad feeling about retaining BJ Raji). We need an explosive DE.

Sam Shields didn't progress.

What type of push should TT make? Should he sacrifice long term plans for the next year? For the next 2 years?

I'm confused on your MM playcalling gripe? I am assuming it has to do with his statement that he wanted to get to 20 carries in the second half Sunday? Seems a strange complaint to make considering the Packers led the league in scoring and the complaint with MM for the majority of the year was that the Packers weren't running the ball enough.

I agree with you on the TE's and Shields being a disappointment after receiving the big deal.

You don't think Raji will be back? He had a cold FA reception and I expect it will be even chillier this year. I think the Packers bring him back on another 1 year "prove-it" deal.

woodbuck27
01-23-2015, 10:05 PM
What type of push should TT make? Should he sacrifice long term plans for the next year? For the next 2 years?

Upgrade the team to be significantly stronger in pass rush. Find a couple of upgrades. He can try to do that with the aid of players restructuring to give the team a significant boost to win the Super Bowl next season without mortgaging it's future.

" I'm confused on your MM playcalling gripe? " Bossman641

It's OK to be confused. Aaron Rodgers was confused with MM's play calling. Many NFL analysts weren't confused with MM's play calling. It was soundly picked apart. That fact is all over the internet if you investigate you'll find much criticism or evidence that Mike McCarthy had alternatives that he generally elected to go conservative with.

Mike McCarthy called the second half like he had a playbook in one hand and 'a white flag' in the other'.

That man coach's a big game with too much fear. He needs all from Aaron Rodgers for any chance to win. Aaron Rodgers needs the same back from Mike McCarthy. That was certainly 'not there' last Sunday.

You'd have to be blind or 'stubborn silly' to not see it.

This speaks mountains:

Fr: http://www.foxsports.com/wisconsin/story/green-bay-packers-still-in-shock-day-after-narrow-loss-to-seattle-seahawks-011915

" ..."You look at those first 55 minutes and it speaks for itself," Cobb said.

Cobb led Green Bay in targets (10), catches (7) and had the team's only receiving touchdown. But in between the time of his sixth reception and his final catch, the Packers had gone from a 16-7 lead to a 22-19 deficit. ..."

Then I'll add this Article that certainly doesn't lean heavy on Aaron Rodgers as the main reason for the loss and collapse:

http://www.foxsports.com/wisconsin/story/5-things-we-learned-green-bay-packers-at-seattle-seahawks-011815

5 things we learned: Packers at Seahawks.

BY: Paul Imig FOX Sports , Wisconsin

"You don't think Raji will be back? He had a cold FA reception and I expect it will be even chillier this year. I think the Packers bring him back on another 1 year "prove-it" deal." Bossman641

I expect he'll be back also. I simply don't TRUST in any significant contribution.

pbmax
01-24-2015, 10:06 AM
Mike McCarthy called the second half like he had a playbook in one hand and 'a white flag' in the other'.

He called the game the same as he calls it when he has a better than one score lead in the 4th quarter. If viewers didn't recognize

Its easy for TV set jockeys, former players (who never called the plays) or Ty Dunne to criticize a strategy when it doesn't work. They all tut-tutted about Belichick going for it on 4th down in his own territory versus the Colts when it didn't work. That's just the bias of hindsight. And ignorance of probability.

The problem is much more nuanced than you or they wish to know. Everyone thinks the answer is emotional fortitude. That is, of course, the wrong way to think about it. This is the same coach who gets routinely criticized for being willing to take shots on 3rd and short and a myriad number of calls is now suspected from having shrunk in the spotlight. Its an ad hoc argument at best.

The question that needs to be asked is the Packer rushing offense, which McCarthy did think would be able to run on Seattle's depleted front seven, good enough to win the game on its own at 5 minutes left? From one game, the answer is no but it still took other factors to tilt the field over to the Seachickens. 5 runs did cost Seattle their TOs but not nearly enough time. There is also the fact that Seattle was selling out over the run.

Howard is probably right that simulations would probably show this as a victory in the majority of situations. So it might have been the right call in most circumstances. But I also think Rand is right that the five run stategy couldn't take enough time off the clock. That such a strategy needed to rely on another defensive stand and possibly an onside kick recovery. That was a lot to ask of a Defense that Seattle had begin to solve (though they had closed the door in a similar situation in Miami and New England). Expected onside kicks succeed only 20% of the time, so the leverage on that play was very good. But I think I trust the Packer O more than the Packer ST even at 80% likelihood to succeed.

Pugger
01-24-2015, 10:36 AM

I'm confused on your MM playcalling gripe? I am assuming it has to do with his statement that he wanted to get to 20 carries in the second half Sunday? Seems a strange complaint to make considering the Packers led the league in scoring and the complaint with MM for the majority of the year was that the Packers weren't running the ball enough.

I agree with you on the TE's and Shields being a disappointment after receiving the big deal.

You don't think Raji will be back? He had a cold FA reception and I expect it will be even chillier this year. I think the Packers bring him back on another 1 year "prove-it" deal.

I think we'll bring Raji back too. He won't break the bank by any means and he is much better at nose than DE. Guion is pretty good but having both of these guys rotating in and out would be nice.

Cheesehead Craig
01-24-2015, 01:39 PM
Probably would be there in Round 1. Right now he's rated in an area that could make him a reach in Round 1, but have him unavailable when the Packers pick in Round 2.

Depending on where one looks he is a reach our a great value. I've seen him as high as 15-16.

Maxie the Taxi
01-24-2015, 01:55 PM
Depending on where one looks he is a reach our a great value. I've seen him as high as 15-16.

I've seen him all over the map too. The bad news is I watched him play in a bowl game and wasn't impressed. He might work as an OLB but he's not enough of a thumper to play inside. Plus, he had a tough time shaking loose from blockers.

gbgary
01-24-2015, 02:21 PM

they lost because they went brain dead when the ball fell into burnett's arms. straight-lined from that moment on.

sharpe1027
01-24-2015, 04:42 PM
With abbrederis coming back, Adams looking good and hopefully Cobb, they can certainly afford to focus on defense. I guess I can see them looking hard at TEs and grabbing a few value picks for OL and a development QB.